NATION

PASSWORD

Picking Up The Pieces [Closed|Yut]

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
The Ctan
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Picking Up The Pieces [Closed|Yut]

Postby The Ctan » Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:55 pm

The Single-Event Upset sat sixteen parsecs from the target system, five kilometres of green and gold, shimmering silver domes and floodlit hangars. Small objects drifted lightlessly from curving assembly and despatch decks along its sides as probes were deployed, reaching a short distance from the ship and disappearing into blooms of tesseract engines.

The tesseract engine, acquired by their membership of the new Triumvirate, had become the favourite for the Great Civilization’s smaller modules and probes, though it was less energy efficient over greater distances, it was a superior choice for this role. The Great Civilization’s implementation of the S14 jump drive tended to emit optical light on the same wavelength as the parent ship’s emissions.

Most surveys did not require anyone to go in person. In fact for the vast majority of the missions, the Single-Event Upset took part in such a thing would not be useful. A ship designed for surveys, and scientific missions, the vessel certainly encountered the unknown, and often, but it did not do so by sending personnel to poke things.

Kyari Thaltorum Prescet of House Thao, Clan Tua watched with quiet contemplation as another constellation of drones transited off the starboard of the ship. The room they were in was a chamber for monitoring probes, surrounded by a holographic wall on all sides that made them seem to be floating in space, on a small raised dais, as if it were a flying carpet. The stars here were unfamiliar to her. She saw new stars with every deployment, but this seemed eerie.

‘Sometimes I feel that I did this,’ she said.

‘You didn’t do anything except reveal something that should never have been secret.’ Her companion was Udran Gar, a being twice her size, whose frame was supported by a small cluster of gravitic units around him. He was from an exoskeletal species, whose home gravity requirements were very different to hers. His species were called the Durshan, or at least that was how their name sounded to her ears.

‘I suppose,’ she said, ‘but still, I feel responsible for this. A whole culture, two, in fact, gone.’

‘Fractal upheavals happen all the time, Kyari,’ the larger scientist said, ‘we have a duty to the truth, and if they are truly gone, then we can memorialize them and learn from their errors.’

As the first telemetry flowed in, the environment shifted to show a composite of the probes’ destination.

Anchorpoint, Circlet III.

‘What happened there?’ Udran said.

She saw it immediately, ‘Is that an imaging error?’

‘I do not think so,’ the shipmind said, it was present in most of the laboratories and workrooms on board, and certainly the imaging chambers. ‘I’ve sent in another set of probes and I am seeing the same from them. Time slicing it now.’

Udran rumbled approval. The shipmind was an AI, of the Sepa class, the same as the majority of warships and other large interstellar craft. That meant that it was smarter than either of them, and saw the universe much faster, some argued that it was redundant to put less transcendent sophonts on a ship like this, and some other survey ships ran without a crew. But there were still ways they could contribute.

Calling up an array of phos-glyphs, hanging interactive controls, one for each of her four hands, Kyari frowned deeply.

The shipmind could in principle run on almost every particle of its frame, but it reserved significant computation for its crew to use. She ran a sim, looking at the display.

‘Well, I think I know what happened,’ she said. Her tone was awed, but not in a good way.

A note on IP: while Anchorpoint was previously held by another player, it was created by Sunset, who’s given permission for it to be reclaimed, and this thread will mostly cover the fate of Sunset’s IP, not the other player who’s CTE’d.
Last edited by The Ctan on Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Necrons were amongst the first beings to come into existance, and have sworn that they will rule over the living." - Still surprisingly accurate!
"Be you anywhere from Progress Level 5 or 6 and barely space-competent, all the way up to the current record of PL-20 for beings like the C’Tan..." Lord General Superior Rai’a Sirisi, Xenohumanity
"Many races and faiths have considered themselves to be a threat to the Necrons, but their worlds and their cultures are now little more than interesting archaeology."
Want to get in touch? Direct Discord Link

Macisikan
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 17, 2004
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Macisikan » Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:04 pm

TOP SECRET//MEO/PEO

∂D Augtember 4A4C

TO: Lady Ashkmin Thakur, Castellan
CC: Lady Hatishue Kilara, Minister Foreign and Defence Affairs; Dame Miranda Kavir, Director General of the Benignity of the Compassionate Hand; Sir Vadin Dettaine, Director-General of the Panopticon; Dame Chrisjen Savichir, Director-General of the External Security Service

Milady Thakur,

I am writing to you with regards to a cessation of activity relating to Polity UID {0:962F0/14DE85} (the subject polity).

Current Situation
The Directorate of the Panopticon has detected no activity from the subject polity in the last quarter (Attachment A details). This includes voidship activity, transmissions, physics infringements, etc.

The External Security Service has likewise noted a complete cessation of activity from the subject polity, and also notes a total lack of diplomatic activity, or even the sighting of nationals of that polity in monitored locales, for the same period (Attachment B details).

I have written to Dame Miranda Kavir, and have been advised that her organisation has not recorded any activity from the subject polity in the same period (with permission, refer Attachment C).

I wish to note that the subject polity showed no signs of lapsing into a solipsist state, and this was not considered a likely outcome (4.2% probability, P<0.05, Attachment D refers)

It is therefore the consensus position for the Vice-Ministry that the subject polity no longer exists.

Given the subject polity’s known predilection for engaging in highly dangerous and inadvisable experimentation and research (Attachments E through R refer), it is also the consensus position for the Vice-Ministry that a catastrophic adverse occurrence has been realised, resulting in the subject polity’s complete demise.

Recommendations
The advice of my Vice-Ministry is:
  1. In the first instance, alert our network of allies, providing them with relevant data and reports as needed;
  2. Prepare a mission that will, in stages, approach known loci of the subject polity to ascertain the circumstances of their demise; and
  3. That said mission be fortified in the expectation that neutralisation of one or more Hostile Galactic Entities will need to be effected.
A full plan of proposed action is at Attachment S.

I remain, ma’am, His Undying Majesty’s Most Loyal Servant,
A. Misho
Sir Amutyre Misho
HM Vice-Minister for Imperial Security
TOP SECRET//MEO/PEO
Last edited by Macisikan on Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Please address your messages/threats/lies to:
The current cycle is: ʧ19021

--FT Nations: Melik, the Lord, Ardri Trivkaal, HM Vice-Minister for External Affairs
--Everyone else: Melik, the Lord, Conradin Nuchani, HM Vice-Minister for Foreign Engagement

Quick Overview | Full Factbook | Embassy Programme | Maintenance thread | NS World-Building Discord | The demonym is "Macisikani."
“You have taken my cute idea … and turned it into something cold and cruel.” –Solont
“Terrible experiments. Unethical behaviour. Have I introduced you to my friend Macisikan? He’s something of an expert.” –Sunset
“You are not destroying the universe for science.” -Menelmacar
“CanSpamMac is an outlier and should not be counted” -Arkasia

The Ctan
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Ctan » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:19 am

The Anchorpoint System

The probe didn’t have a number or a name, at least not one that was comprehensible to humans, it didn’t need one. The size of a mode-terran airliner,it was roughly cylindrical, with a blunted forward section with optical lenses clustered on it, while its aft was a nest of antennae for active sensor probes.

It was travelling under power, accelerating inward toward the heart of the Anchorpoint system, having chosen to revert far from the star. The probes were encountering periodic but expected difficulties with rogue defence systems, and several had dropped off to continue observing the main disruption to the system from afar.

It was accelerating at a rate it considered leisurely, six thousand meters per second per second, when its engine began to vibrate. This was unexpected. The probe wasn’t built like an archaic space rocket, for the most part, aside from the payload bays, it was solid state, and it was dense, there were few places inside it where you could slip even a piece of paper. The tremor within it was coming from its drive unit.

The pitch rose, and the probe exhausted known explanations of such a malfunction, it considered for a few nanoseconds whether to flag this in its telemetry, before an internal explosion tore it in half.

Not that that was the end of it, of course. Its forward section tumbled through the void, and it anticipated a second strike, when it was launched it had enabled its sixteen destruct packs and even more auxiliary destruct systems. It altered them now to ensure that no parts of it were available as salvage, accessing them remotely by shortwave radio.

The followup strike did not come, and it seemed it wasn’t the victim of a rogue weapons system.

That excited the mechanical curiosity that made up most of its sub-sapient personality. It indexed its payload bays, finding that the second of three was still intact along its side near its forward section, the other two were damaged, but potentially useable; it was made of living metal, given time it would regenerate itself.

Cautiously it cancelled the destruct packs’ countdown restoring them to their normal lifespan of several days.

It deployed several of its sub-probes, opening a payload door on its side to launch them. It was designed to operate in a range of environments, and it had several options for landing probes or sensordust in planetary environments, and it detached one reentry vehicle with a cluster or thousands of scoutmissiles, having them circle it on tiny plumes of thrusters.

The images of the damage confirmed its thoughts about its status, much of its midsection had been vapourised, some parts of its aft still existed, such as had the clusters of antennae that trailed from its tail.

Curious.

It sent one of its planetary probes to begin gathering up its fragments, and watched the probe burst in fire.

It recognized the problem, and realized it didn’t have a good solution. Its scoutmissiles didn’t have the delta-v to bring back its missing components, without using gravitic drives.

And it seemed something was making reactionless engines explode.

With a feeling of slight annoyance it encoded a request that its parent vessel switch to assembling photon-drive probes, and something to pick up its pieces and join them back together.
"The Necrons were amongst the first beings to come into existance, and have sworn that they will rule over the living." - Still surprisingly accurate!
"Be you anywhere from Progress Level 5 or 6 and barely space-competent, all the way up to the current record of PL-20 for beings like the C’Tan..." Lord General Superior Rai’a Sirisi, Xenohumanity
"Many races and faiths have considered themselves to be a threat to the Necrons, but their worlds and their cultures are now little more than interesting archaeology."
Want to get in touch? Direct Discord Link

Return to NationStates