NATION

PASSWORD

How to become well-known in NS?

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.
Tosican Empire
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 24, 2022
Ex-Nation

How to become well-known in NS?

Postby Tosican Empire » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:31 pm

I am a new nation and I want to get more involved with the community outside my own region. How do you make connections with other nations? How do you become known by other users? Are there any people or groups of people I should know about?

Thank you for any advice.
Worship Nime, for he was there at our creation, and never ceased to hear our prayers to him. He asks of us, only to respect him and have children. We have done so, and it has revealed to us the absolute truth: Nime has perfect judgement, and if we accept this, he will respect us in return.

Araznan
Envoy

Founded: Feb 12, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Araznan » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:33 pm

be nice, helpful, be active, and just be yourself.

Also being on the forums is a good way for people to get to know you.
Last edited by Araznan on Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Araznan,

Raider Delegate of the Eternal Order ▱▰▱▰ Vice-Delegate of The Eternal Order
March 16, 2022 - October 1st, 2022 ▱▰▱▰ October 1st, 2022 - November 2022

~Budding F7er~
▰▱▰▱▰▱▰▱▰▱▰▱▰▱▰▱▰▱▰

Tosican Empire
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Tosican Empire » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:37 pm

Araznan wrote:be nice, helpful, be active, and just be yourself.

Also being on the forums is a good way for people to get to know you.

Alright, thanks for the tips.
Worship Nime, for he was there at our creation, and never ceased to hear our prayers to him. He asks of us, only to respect him and have children. We have done so, and it has revealed to us the absolute truth: Nime has perfect judgement, and if we accept this, he will respect us in return.

Orlesian States
Envoy

Founded: Jun 09, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Orlesian States » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:39 pm

As Araznan said, just be yourself. Be polite and respectful to others, do not debate with vitriol if you like political debates, and especially, make sure you're aware of forum etiquette! Try to post with effort rather than not, even for the less effort required threads, it can go a long way with defining your image!

But most importantly, don't follow what people say on this post to a T, just do whatever you feel is right, and at the end of the day, just have fun. NS is a welcoming place with a wonderful community, and once you get to know them, you'll be happier than ever to be here and stick around the forums, getting more known just through time and exposure! :D
Last edited by Orlesian States on Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Commonwealth of Orlesian States
"Orlesia Orates; The World Listens."
"Through the remnants of a shattered Empire, and the Emperor overthrown, the Commonwealth will rise."
Latest Reports from Ministry of Information - The Commonwealth is "Coming back from a break." -Says Francois S. D'Chautee; In battling Caligula's Legion, The Commonwealth is sending additional supplies and aid to the NSAR; Orlesian Embassy construction temporarily halted; OSIF has reported a known 'black hole' within the borders of the known system;

Tosican Empire
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Tosican Empire » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:45 pm

Orlesian States wrote:As Araznan said, just be yourself. Be polite and respectful to others, do not debate with vitriol if you like political debates, and especially, make sure you're aware of forum etiquette! Try to post with effort rather than not, even for the less effort required threads, it can go a long way with defining your image!

But most importantly, don't follow what people say on this post to a T, just do whatever you feel is right, and at the end of the day, just have fun. NS is a welcoming place with a wonderful community, and once you get to know them, you'll be happier than ever to be here and stick around the forums, getting more known just through time and exposure! :D

Thanks for the advice! I’ll make sure to look into how to properly use the forums.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:07 pm

I've moved this to Gameplay. General wasn't the best choice.

Technical is also an option I guess, in a way, so if another mod feels that technical is a better fit, feel free to move.
The Blaatschapen should resign

The Church of Satan
Minister

Founded: Apr 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Church of Satan » Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:11 pm

You'll wanna get involved in other regions too. You get your name out there, gain some skills, different insights and perspectives, and at the same time, the other regions get a new person to help out. You can take those new skills and ideas back to your home region—everybody wins.

You benefit most from this right now, while you're a total unknown, unencumbered by pre-existing allegiances.
Last edited by The Church of Satan on Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rejected Realms: Former Delegate | Former Vice Delegate | Longest Consecutively Serving Officer in TRR History - 824 Days
Free the WA gnomes!

Chanku: This isn't an election it's an assault on the eyes. | Ikania: Hear! The Gospel of... Satan. Erh...
Yuno: Not gonna yell, but CoS is one of the best delegates ever | Ever-Wandering Souls: In the liberal justice system, raiding-based offenses are considered especially heinous. In The South Pacific, the dedicated defenders who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Council on Regional Security. These are their proscriptions. DUN DUN.

Kingdom of Intermaria
Envoy

Founded: Aug 07, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Kingdom of Intermaria » Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:14 pm

If you become: Active, cheerful, respectful, so that people can respect you. You should also try to become active in some forums instead of 1, so your popularity will grow, since not everyone is in F7 or General.
Republik Federasi ouf Aituia Since 1700s
Come live in Aituia - thousands of opportunities and sites you can visit!
||TV-N4|||  Kaw Time: 8:36 AM |  Rover Time: 3:36 AM |  Take a break at Coldhart Donuts! Eat now! |  Want a fast internet connection free for 5 months, with 7.2 GB load? Buy our freebie coupons which only costs 1 Astardia Unit! Come buy now. |  29° Cloudy in Kaw. |
OoC Scrolly | My Forum Name: Mauser | Account age: Less than a year. | Pronouns: NotHuman/NotHuman (I'm trolling with ya) | Other accounts outside of NS: Roblox PC

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:21 pm

You could get involved in drafting new issues, or in one or both of the WA chambers' forums. If you do this then it's extremely useful to read the stickied threads at the tops of the first page of the relevant forum, and -- especially in the WA -- to "lurk" reading other people's posts for a while before you actually start posting there yourself. Post your first drafts of potential issues or WA proposals in the relevant forum, and be prepared to talke advice from more experienced players into account.

Also, if you think that your nation would like to become involved in international sports and that you yourself could write 'roleplay' material that some other players might like to read, you could participate in events in the 'NS Sports' forum. The results of contests there are determined by the organisers using computer programmes that certain members developed, but in some competitions -- including the "official" NS versions of the[Association Football] World Cup and the Olympics --writing well enough about your teams & nation means that the organisers will give you a better chance of success... and in the World Cup (and two associated series of tournaments) winning games gives your national team points that improve their chances in the next few cycles as well. Unfortunately you're just too late to sign up for the next World Cup (the 92nd! We manage 3 or 4 per real-life year), which starts in less than a week's time, but if you watch how that goes it will give you a better idea of what to do if you decide to participate in the one after that. Sign-ups for the next Winter Olympics haven't opened yet, but those Games will probably begin in January or February next RL year (and we hold both Summer and Winter Games once each per RL year).
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

American Rockies
Secretary

Founded: Jun 14, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby American Rockies » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:28 pm

You could raid a ton of regions and invoke the almighty wrath of strongly-written words from the World Assembly.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:17 am

You appear to have an insanely good Religiousness stat off the bat: if you answer issues, you might want to answer them in a way that improves that stat. This is what I'm doing for Themagicflute (Welfare) and Thebarberofseville (Inclusiveness); I tried to optimise Rudeness on this nation for a while but I've mostly given up on that now.

Whenever you get an issue, there is a newspaper-style banner. That banner will have some text in the top-right which says "VOL. 32 NO. XXX." That XXX is the issue number: you might want to find (Windows: use Ctrl+F) that number or the name of the issue itself on this page, click on that issue, and then find Religiousness to see - for instance - which option will result in your Religiousness stat increasing the most on average.
Last edited by Tinhampton on Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Raionitu
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 06, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Raionitu » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:13 am

One thing to realize is that describing NS as a single community isn't entirely accurate. NS is composed of a lot of smaller groups, various RP groups (both in regions and on the forums), world assembly authors, card farmers, raiders and defenders, etc. etc. etc.

You'll have to spend some time looking around to find which things you're interested in. As for being well-known, as others have said, being active and contributing in a positive way to a larger group will get you more attention, but there is no one path to 'the top'. A while back someone asked about how to get commended or condemned, and one response basically said 'there can't be a guide to that sort of thing, because the way to become someone that highly regarded/well known is to do something unique'
Koth wrote:you guys are cool, like lately ive been watching the overal state of the raider world and been like,"ew", but you guys are very not ew
Reppy wrote:Swearing is just fucking fine on this goddamn fucking forum.
Aguaria Major wrote:The Black Hawks is essentially a regional equivalent of Heath Ledger's Joker: they just want to watch the world burn
Frisbeeteria wrote:Please stop.Please.
Souls wrote:Hi, I'm Souls. Have you embraced our lord and savior , Piling yet?
Souls wrote:Note to self: Watch out for Rai in my bedroom
Altinsane wrote:Me, about every suspiciously helpful newb I meet: "It's probably Rai."
Lord Dominator wrote:Koth is a drunken alternate personality of yours

Big Bad Badger
Envoy

Founded: Apr 25, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Big Bad Badger » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:55 pm

Feet pics....lots of feet pics.
Mr. Badger

I've been told that raiding requires booze and a lack of pants! --Neenee

Minskiev
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Minskiev » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:50 pm

My advice will be very Gameplay-centric. That is, region-building, raiding, defending, foreign affairs stuff, etc. You have more to learn if you don't know what these mean.

Join an established region, get citizenship, apply to be staff in its ministries, and gain skills. I suggest the Rejected Realms since it's easy to work your way up there. The skills are useful throughout your career - how to conduct diplomacy, how to run cultural events, how to maintain endorsements, knowledge of the WA, etc. Oh, and join the regional Discord and all that. This is important.

This is also important - make a plan. Short-term, medium-term, long-term. My plan was short term become active and become Speaker, medium term was serve as Officer a few times and make friends, long term was Delegate. And in my 2-year stint in Gameplay, I've done just that.

Join that region's military. Going off of my TRR example, you could join the Rejected Realms Army, which defends regions from raiders all the time. Here you will meet many people, some unknown and some very well known, where you can make friends. Making friends is incredibly important early on because these friends will not only make the game enjoyable but also support you. You will need support in Gameplay. Regardless, you can make friends while defending and also learn how to defend. If you get very good at it or do it a lot, you'll become more well known by defenders, and maybe even raiders and indies. This is good because you can make friends with them too.

Eventually, you'll garner enough skills and friends to get elected to a government position you will hopefully run for. This makes you more well-known and is the best way to gain experience since you're leading a ministry! Presumably. From here, you should probably join Discord servers like NSGP or IRC to talk to more people and be more knowledgeable of current GP happenings.

You might also want to dabble in other interests like cards or the WA and gain experience/clout/friends/skills there.

Congrats, you're pretty well-known. But if you want to climb to the top, you'll have to do just that and become influential. Aim for Delegate, or excel as Minister of Foreign Affairs, make your region's recommendations ubiquitous as Minister of World Assembly Affairs, etc. Accomplish things so you can build credibility, confidence, or clout. Then, your achievements can speak for themselves, and climbing the Gameplay ranks becomes easier.

Hope this helps <3
Last edited by Minskiev on Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Minskiev/Walrus. Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms, 3x Officer. 15x WA author. Join the RRA here.

Chef Big Dog
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 17, 2017
Tyranny by Majority

Postby Chef Big Dog » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:46 pm

play nationstates good
Lone Wolves United - Hearts and Minds
Proud Griefer

Fourth Jellian Republic
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 13, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Fourth Jellian Republic » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:49 pm

Post regularly, have a presence in as many niches as possible, make connections, both public and private.
Not my first account (approx +2000000000000000000000000000000000000 to posts)
Stats don’t necessarily reflect real views, just messing around with those

One Small Island
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 30, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby One Small Island » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:40 am

I have simple advice for being well known.

Have fun.

Find what makes this game fun for you, and do that. If that's Role Play, then play away. If it's R/D, then go forth and do battle. If it's hanging in General, then dust off your thesaurus. If you're more of a region builder and government player, then I wish you all the success in the world.

There are endless ways to get well known on NationStates, the best way to do it is to just have fun with whatever it is you do.
Generally Retired
They//Them
Trying to find peace and enjoyment in the game again.

Albrook
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 03, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Albrook » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:35 am

Break your status quo and take risks. Others above have already shared specific opportunities you can perform well in terms of GP, WA, Issues writing - but at the end of the day I perceive this as a top-level requirement: you’re not going to become any more known doing exactly what you’re doing now and nothing else.

With previous advice, if you see an opportunity you think would be fun, or an opportunity to deal some damage to something you know you’d gain notoriety for doing if you swing more on the evil end, do it.

Take your time if you’re not yet ready - I didn’t make my boldest move until 8 long years of playtime: moving my main nation to a new region and seeking to become its Delegate. And I did. I’m no celebrity - but at least my name isn’t only searchable just in WA election reports anymore. Little steps. We’re not all going to become Testlandia overnight. xD
Last edited by Albrook on Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

A Bloodred Moon
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 13, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby A Bloodred Moon » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:36 pm

Tosican Empire wrote:I am a new nation and I want to get more involved with the community outside my own region. How do you make connections with other nations? How do you become known by other users? Are there any people or groups of people I should know about?

Thank you for any advice.

Depends on what you aim to achieve. A place to start might be joining some established regions' discords, read up on the various sub-communities of the game (raiding, defending, WA, RP, etc.) and pick one (or several) which interest you, like Rai said. Give them a try, see what you'd like to do. I can't really speak about achieving fame (or infamy), but finding out what you enjoy and pouring in time and effort would be my advice.
JoWhatup

Alpha Emeritus of Lone Wolves United - For Your Protection

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay