NATION

PASSWORD

[Last Call] Irate Farmers Going Nitrate

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
The Rhein States
Attaché

Founded: Jul 15, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

[Last Call] Irate Farmers Going Nitrate

Postby The Rhein States » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:50 am

Irate Farmers Going Nitrate

Validity: must have an agriculture sector, must have climate treaty, must not have vegetarianism

Dilemma:
Roads blocked by tractors, pitchforks raised in protest, and piles of hay and compost dumped in city squares. Obligated by the climate treaty to reduce nitrogen emissions and protect vulnerable environmental habitats, a reduction of the amount of livestock farmers is being proposed and @@NAME@@'s farmers have risen in vehement opposition to it as a result.

Option 1: “Are you nuts, @@LEADER@@?”, shouts an angry mob of farmers outside your office building, as you turn around to see what the commotion is about, a bombardment of fruits and vegetables is thrown at your windows, “We farmers have been feeling pressured for a while now. More manure means more food. Get rid of that climate treaty so we can keep on going!”

EF: a thick pungent layer of manure covers the whole nation

Option 2: “Compared to member states of @@REGION@@ our situation is worst”, explains @@RANDOMNAME@@, the window cleaner, who coincidentally has studied climate sciences at @@CAPITAL@@ University, while a stray banana peel flies through an open window, “The agricultural sector emits almost half of the damaging nitrogen yearly. Doing nothing will lead to a greater acidification. Important minerals will wash out of the soil which are crucial for both plants and animals. We need to protect our environment and buy out all livestock farms!”

EF: scientists have measured an inverse correlation between sour soil and sour farmers

Option 3: “Changing our diets will have a much greater impact”, coins @@RANDOMNAME@@, a famous Vegan influencer, mixing a variety of vegetables in your blender, “Nowadays there are many green alternatives on offer. Take my healthy kale and celery burgers, I’m just making some! Not everyone will like it but you have to enforce vegetarianism for all, for the good of mother Earth. Now, who wants to try my creation?”

EF: pretty patties come in forty-two magnificent colours

Option 4: “Go nuts!”, exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, everyone turning their heads to see who made this weird remark, @@HE@@ starts to speak very quickly, “I.. I mean that by combining husbandry and trees, either for nuts or timber, which will enable farmers to diversify their produce and income. This is called agroforestry. In return farmers must hold less cows but the government should help subsidise the trees and shrubs. Let us become the biggest nut… exporters of @@REGION@@!

EF: @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ have gone completely nuts

Validity: must have an agriculture sector, must have climate treaty, must not have vegetarianism

Dilemma:
Roads blocked by tractors, pitchforks raised in protest, and piles of hay and compost dumped in city squares. It's painfully evident your government's plans to reduce nitrogen emissions and protect vulnerable environmental habitats in order to comply with the climate treaty were leaked to the press, and @@NAME@@'s farmers have risen in vehement opposition to it as a result.

Option 1: “Are you nuts, @@LEADER@@?”, shouts an angry mob of farmers outside your office building, as you turn around to see what the commotion is about, a bombardment of fruits and vegetables is thrown at your windows, as one of the throwers starts to yell at you, “Hasn’t the government built enough of these vulnerable habitats close to our farms. Get rid of that stupid climate treaty! How are we supposed to make a living with these restrictions? The number of farmers has been in decline for years, I think we deserve to be protected! No farmers, no food!”

Option 2: “Compared to member states of @@REGION@@ our situation is worst”, explains @@RANDOMNAME@@, the window cleaner, who coincidentally has studied climate sciences at @@CAPITAL@@ University, while a stray banana peel flies through an open window, “The agricultural sector emits almost half of the damaging nitrogen yearly. Doing nothing will lead to a greater acidification. Important minerals will wash out of the soil which are crucial for both plants and animals. We need to protect our environment!”

EF: scientists have measured an inverse correlation between sour soil and sour farmers

Option 3: “I wonder how that came to be?”, questions @@RANDOMNAME@@ sarcastically, slipping on the banana peel on the floor, “Ouch. Other member states don’t do proper research on this issue. No wonder we look like the bad guys! Did you know that up to a third of the nitrogen emissions come from abroad? Let’s first level the ‘playing field’ by ‘helping’ member states conduct proper research.

EF: a helping hand will help you intensify your problems

Option 4: “Changing our diets will have a much greater impact”, coins @@RANDOMNAME@@, a famous Vegan influencer, mixing a variety of vegetables in your blender, “Nowadays there are many green alternatives on offer. Take my healthy kale and celery burgers, I’m just making some! Not everyone will like it but you have to enforce vegetarianism for all, for the good of mother Earth. Now, who wants to try my creation?”

Option 5: “Go nuts!”, exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, everyone turning their heads to see who made this weird remark, @@HE@@ starts to speak very quick, “I.. I mean that by combining husbandry and trees, either for nuts or timber, which will enable farmers to diversify their produce and income. This is called agroforestry. In return farmers must hold less cows but the government should help subsidise the trees and shrubs. Let us become the biggest nut… exporters of @@REGION@@!

Dilemma:
Farmers have taken up their pitchforks and are blocking roads with their tractors across the nation after a plan to reduce nitrogen emissions and protect vulnerable environmental habitats, to comply with the climate treaty, was leaked to the press.

Option 1: “Are you nuts, @@LEADER@@?”, shouts an angry mob of farmers outside your office building, as you turn around to see what the commotion is about, a bombardment of fruits and vegetables is thrown at your windows, as one of the throwers starts to yell at you, “Hasn’t the government built enough of these vulnerable habitats close to our farms. Get rid of that stupid climate treaty! How are we supposed to make a living with these restrictions? The number of farmers has been in decline for years, I think we deserve to be protected! No farmers, no food!”

EF: farmers can throw as much crap as they want to

Option 2: “Compared to member states of @@REGION@@ our situation is worst”, explains @@RANDOMNAME@@, the window cleaner, who coincidentally has studied climate sciences at @@CAPITAL@@ University, while a stray banana peel flies through an open window, “The agricultural sector emits almost half of the damaging nitrogen yearly. Doing nothing will lead to a greater acidification. Important minerals will wash out of the soil which are crucial for both plants and animals. We need to protect our environment!”

Option 3: “I wonder how that came to be?”, questions @@RANDOMNAME@@ sarcastically, slipping on the banana peel on the floor, “Ouch. Other member states don’t do proper research on this issue. No wonder we look like the bad guys! Did you know that up to a third of the nitrogen emissions come from abroad? Let’s first level the ‘playing field’ by ‘helping’ member states conduct proper research."

EF: Solving a problem is not as fun as spotting them elsewhere and pointing fingers

Option 4: “Changing our diets will have a much greater impact”, coins @@RANDOMNAME@@, a famous Vegan influencer, mixing a variety of vegetables in your blender, “Nowadays there are many green alternatives on offer. Take my healthy kale and celery burgers, I’m just making some! Not everyone will like it but you have to enforce vegetarianism for all, for the good of mother Earth. Now, who wants to try my creation?”

EF: meat now comes with a guaranteed bland cardboard-like taste

Option 5: “Go nuts!”, exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, everyone turning their heads to see who made this weird remark, @@HE@@ starts to speak very quick, “I.. I mean that by combining husbandry and trees, either for nuts or timber, farmers will be able to diversify their produce and income. This is called agroforestry. In return farmers must hold less cows but the government should help subsidize the trees and shrubs. Let us become the biggest nut… a pause to gasp for air exporters of @@REGION@@!"

EF: there have never been this many nuts

Are You Nuts?

Validity: must have an agriculture sector, must have climate treaty/environmental regulations, must not have vegetarianism

Dilemma:
Farmers have taken up their pitchforks and are blocking roads with their tractors across the nation after a plan to reduce the nitrogen emissions and protect vulnerable environmental habitats, meaning fewer and smaller farms, was leaked by the press.

Option 1: “Are you nuts, @@LEADER@@?”, shouts an angry mob of farmers outside your office building, as you turn around to see what the commotion is about, a bombardment of fruits and vegetables is thrown at your windows, as one of the throwers starts to yell at you, “Hasn’t the government built enough of these vulnerable habitats close to our farms. How are we supposed to make a living with these restrictions? The number of farmers has been in decline for years, I think we deserve to be protected! No farmers, no food!”

EF: farmers have been added to the Red List as critically endangered species

Option 3: “I wonder how that came to be?”, questions @@RANDOMNAME@@ sarcastically, slipping on the banana peel on the floor, “Ouch. Other member states don’t do proper research on this issue. No wonder we look like the bad guys! Did you know that up to a third of the nitrogen emissions come from abroad? Let’s first level the ‘playing field’ by ‘helping’ member states conduct proper research.

EF: Solving a problem is not as fun as spotting them elsewhere and pointing fingers

EF: meat now comes with a guaranteed bland cardboard-like taste

Option 5: “Go nuts!”, exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, everyone turning their heads to see who made this weird remark, “I.. I mean that by combining husbandry and trees, either for nuts or timber farmers will be able to diversify their produce and income. This is called agroforestry. In return farmers must hold less cows but the government should help subsidize the trees and shrubs. Let us become the biggest nut… exporters of @@REGION@@!

EF: there have never been this many nuts

Title: Are You Nuts?

Validity: must have a strong agriculture sector. must protect the environment, must have Climate Treaty

Dilemma:
Farmers have taken up their pitchforks and are blocking roads with their tractors across the nation after a plan to reduce the nitrogen emissions and protect vulnerable environmental habitats, meaning fewer and smaller farms, was leaked by the press.

Option 1: “Are you nuts, @@LEADER@@?”, shouts an angry mob of farmers outside your office building, as you turn around to see what the commotion is about, a bombardment of fruits and vegetables is thrown at your windows, as one of the throwers starts to yell at you, “Hasn’t the government built enough of these vulnerable habitats close to our farms. How are we supposed to make a living with these restrictions? The number of farmers has been in decline for years, I think we deserve to be protected! No farmers, no food!”

EF: vulnerable environmental habitats are being demolished to protect the more vulnerable native farmers

Validity: Must be scientifically advanced
Option 3: “I wonder how that came to be?”, questions @@RANDOMNAME@@ sarcastically, “Other member states don’t do proper research on this issue. No wonder we look like the bad guys! Did you know that up to a third of the nitrogen emissions come from abroad? Let’s first level the ‘playing field’ by ‘helping’ member states conduct proper research.

Option 4: “Go nuts!”, exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, everyone turning their heads to see who made this weird remark, “I.. I mean that by combining husbandry and trees, either for nuts or timber farmers will be able to diversify their produce and income. This is called agroforestry. In return farmers must hold less cows but the government should help subsidize the trees and shrubs. Let us become the biggest nut… exporters of @@REGION@@!

EF: There have never been this many nuts
Last edited by The Rhein States on Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:08 pm, edited 20 times in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:48 pm

Is this specific to nuts?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Rhein States
Attaché

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Rhein States » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:32 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Is this specific to nuts?

I struggle with the name, tbh

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:00 am

Ah, you beat me to it, I had an issue like this in mind as well, haha. The idea I had was to involve the Climate Treaty policy into the validity, as I thought it would make sense if it was the treaty that was mandating that @@NAME@@ lower its nitrogen emissions. Perhaps it might be an idea to include that?

as you turn around to see what the commotion is about a bombardment of fruits and vegetables is thrown at your windows

I recommend placing a comma between "is about" and "a bombardment".

vulnerable environmental habitats are being demolished to protect the more vulnerable native farmers

Perhaps the humour in this effect line could be a little sharper? :)

scientists have measured an inverse correlation between sour soil and sour farmers

Yes, this is what I mean! Nice and witty effect line.

Validity: Must be scientifically advanced
Option 3: “I wonder how that came to be?”, questions @@RANDOMNAME@@ sarcastically, “Other member states don’t do proper research on this issue. No wonder we look like the bad guys! Did you know that up to a third of the nitrogen emissions come from abroad? Let’s first level the ‘playing field’ by ‘helping’ member states conduct proper research.

I'm not sure whether the validity is needed, I think you can leave it out.

Option 4: “Go nuts!”, exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, everyone turning their heads to see who made this weird remark, “I.. I mean that by combining husbandry and trees, either for nuts or timber farmers will be able to diversify their produce and income. This is called agroforestry. In return farmers must hold less cows but the government should help subsidize the trees and shrubs. Let us become the biggest nut… exporters of @@REGION@@!

EF: There have never been this many nuts

Fun idea for an issue option on this topic, I like it!

Overall, this seems like a solid base for an interesting issue. Keep up the good work! :)
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

The Rhein States
Attaché

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Rhein States » Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:35 am

Thanks Daarwyrth,

I am not going to quote your whole text, too much room is needed :lol: . It came to my mind just a few hours ago to maybe use the Climate Treaty policy, so that will be added. The reason I wanted to add scientifically advanced was an argument used in the whole debate that other european nations do not do such a solid scientific research (not the means or specialized people for it) but I can leave it out and perhaps add an option that enacts vegetarianism, seeing that it concerns cows/pigs/chicken?

Here are some other names for the issue that I was able to come up with:

1. Farmers Defence Force (the name of the real action group against the plans)

2. A Mean O Acid

3. Tripping on Acid (perhaps too drugs related)

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:03 pm

The Rhein States wrote:The reason I wanted to add scientifically advanced was an argument used in the whole debate that other european nations do not do such a solid scientific research (not the means or specialized people for it) but I can leave it out and perhaps add an option that enacts vegetarianism, seeing that it concerns cows/pigs/chicken?

Oh, but you don't need to cut out the whole option, apologies if I wasn't clear on that! I meant that the option should be available to all nations, not just scientifically advanced ones :) because technically even if a nation isn't highly technologically advanced it can still encourage research on the topic.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

The Rhein States
Attaché

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Rhein States » Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:00 am

Daarwyrth wrote:
The Rhein States wrote:The reason I wanted to add scientifically advanced was an argument used in the whole debate that other european nations do not do such a solid scientific research (not the means or specialized people for it) but I can leave it out and perhaps add an option that enacts vegetarianism, seeing that it concerns cows/pigs/chicken?

Oh, but you don't need to cut out the whole option, apologies if I wasn't clear on that! I meant that the option should be available to all nations, not just scientifically advanced ones :) because technically even if a nation isn't highly technologically advanced it can still encourage research on the topic.

Yeah, I read your post again and noticed I read it wrong, :blush:

I still think this should be valid for nations not having a climate treaty but environmental regulations though.
Daarwyrth, do you have issues with the title?
Last edited by The Rhein States on Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:28 am

The Rhein States wrote:Daarwyrth, do you have issues with the title?

The title really only refers to the last option, so I do think a change would be good.

If you added the Climate Treaty policy validity perhaps the title could be "Nitrate Treaty". Or otherwise "Irate Farmers Going Nitrate".

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

The Rhein States
Attaché

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Rhein States » Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:30 am

Daarwyrth wrote:
The Rhein States wrote:Daarwyrth, do you have issues with the title?

The title really only refers to the last option, so I do think a change would be good.

If you added the Climate Treaty policy validity perhaps the title could be "Nitrate Treaty". Or otherwise "Irate Farmers Going Nitrate".

Okay, I'll write it in like that. Irate, didn't even know it was a word :blink:
How do you know when the issue is ready for submitting?
Last edited by The Rhein States on Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Outer Sparta
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Outer Sparta » Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:30 pm

The Rhein States wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:The title really only refers to the last option, so I do think a change would be good.

Okay, I'll write it in like that. Irate, didn't even know it was a word :blink:
How do you know when the issue is ready for submitting?

Once you get good feedback and keep up with your writing, then it should be ready once you've incorporated everything. A specific timetable is hard to quantify, but three weeks to a month (or even more than a month) would be suffice given the issue forum is slower.
Free Palestine, stop the genocide in Gaza

The Rhein States
Attaché

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Rhein States » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:18 am

I have made some small changes to the text, don't consider them big enough to see them as a new draft.

Ropacton
Civilian

Founded: Sep 23, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Ropacton » Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:57 pm

this is extremely funny :rofl:

Djmekistan
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 29, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Djmekistan » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:01 pm

Ropacton wrote:this is extremely funny :rofl:

I very much agree

The Rhein States
Attaché

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Rhein States » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:54 am

Ropacton wrote:this is extremely funny :rofl:

Djmekistan wrote:I very much agree

Thanks, are there any things necessary for changing?

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:33 am

Farmers have taken up their pitchforks and are blocking roads with their tractors across the nation after a plan to reduce nitrogen emissions and protect vulnerable environmental habitats, to comply with the climate treaty, was leaked to the press.

Might I suggest a bit of a rewrite? What would you think of this:

"Roads blocked by tractors, pitchforks raised in protest, and piles of hay and compost dumped in city squares. It's painfully evident your government's plans to reduce nitrogen emissions and protect vulnerable environmental habitats in order to comply with the climate treaty were leaked to the press, and @@NAME@@'s farmers have risen in vehement opposition to it as a result."

I definitely like where this is headed. My recommendation would be to take another look at the effect lines and see if you can improve them a bit. Keep up the good work!

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

The Rhein States
Attaché

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Rhein States » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:13 pm

Okay, draft 4 is up

The Rhein States
Attaché

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Rhein States » Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:18 am

Are there anymore suggestions, otherwise It will be submitted.

Cataleenia
Envoy

Founded: Apr 11, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Cataleenia » Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:16 am

The Rhein States wrote:Are there anymore suggestions, otherwise It will be submitted.

Before you submit, put it as Last Call for last minute feedback
WARNING! I am bri’ish, do NOT come within a 50m radius without protection.
they/them
[violet] wrote:Urggg... trawling through ads looking for roman orgies...
[violet] wrote:lol
Hispida wrote:english is a rather tough language. you can learn it through tough thorough thought, though.
Armeattla wrote:You know, watching a personality cult live is pretty fun.
Racoda wrote:
Kuraiva wrote:IS THIS dumpster fire APRIL FOOLS UPDATE or something permanent!?
Nothing is permanent.

The Rhein States
Attaché

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Rhein States » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:25 am

Cataleenia wrote:
The Rhein States wrote:Are there anymore suggestions, otherwise It will be submitted.

Before you submit, put it as Last Call for last minute feedback

Okay, thanks. Last Call

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:55 am

Ahoy ahoy! Great to see another draft that follows up on the climate treaty policy.

- For the text, rather than assuming the nation has "plans" to do those things, it might be better to talk about the nation's "obligations" to do them. Claiming the player has plans is a player autonomy conflict, while reminding them of their obligations simply reflects what the player has already decided to do.

- Option 1 starts with a massive run-on sentence. The dialogue tag could be trimmed by about half, and a couple periods added. Also, it isn't necessarily true that the number of farmers has been in decline... the nation's Ag stats might have been growing! Something less measurable might be a better wording, such as "We farmers have been feeling pressured for years..." A person's stats can't put the lie to that.

- Also in option 1, it might not be evident to people *why* reducing nitrogen emissions is a challenge for farmers. Replace some of that dialogue tag with information that helps inform the player. "Farmers rely on nitrate fertilizers to grow the crops that feed our people!" (or similar sentiments) so that it's clear why this matters so much to them.

- In option 2: what is the action being requested? The speaker makes some claims about the current situation, but doesn't actually ask the player to *do* anything.

- In option 3: this is a clearer action, but isn't clear what you're actually doing. How is it that other nations "not doing proper research" leads to your nation having higher emissions? What "research" are you helping (or "helping") them to conduct?

- In option 4: Since this is the first time the idea of livestock specifically are brought up, it might be worth mentioning why they are being targeted. Livestock are a huge contributor to nitrogen emissions, but honestly up until now I assumed the issue was talking about fertilizer used for produce (option 1 has people throwing vegetables, after all). Having this speaker talk about reducing the N footprint by limiting the worst emitters, while still allowing non-meat alternatives, would make a reasonable option.

- In option 5: same challenge as before, suddenly the problem is caused by cows? This speaker should probably explain why this option will reduce the N footprint while remaining a viable economic and dietary replacement.

The Rhein States
Attaché

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Rhein States » Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:49 pm

Verdant Haven wrote:Ahoy ahoy! Great to see another draft that follows up on the climate treaty policy.

- For the text, rather than assuming the nation has "plans" to do those things, it might be better to talk about the nation's "obligations" to do them. Claiming the player has plans is a player autonomy conflict, while reminding them of their obligations simply reflects what the player has already decided to do.

- Option 1 starts with a massive run-on sentence. The dialogue tag could be trimmed by about half, and a couple periods added. Also, it isn't necessarily true that the number of farmers has been in decline... the nation's Ag stats might have been growing! Something less measurable might be a better wording, such as "We farmers have been feeling pressured for years..." A person's stats can't put the lie to that.

- Also in option 1, it might not be evident to people *why* reducing nitrogen emissions is a challenge for farmers. Replace some of that dialogue tag with information that helps inform the player. "Farmers rely on nitrate fertilizers to grow the crops that feed our people!" (or similar sentiments) so that it's clear why this matters so much to them.

- In option 2: what is the action being requested? The speaker makes some claims about the current situation, but doesn't actually ask the player to *do* anything.

- In option 3: this is a clearer action, but isn't clear what you're actually doing. How is it that other nations "not doing proper research" leads to your nation having higher emissions? What "research" are you helping (or "helping") them to conduct?

- In option 4: Since this is the first time the idea of livestock specifically are brought up, it might be worth mentioning why they are being targeted. Livestock are a huge contributor to nitrogen emissions, but honestly up until now I assumed the issue was talking about fertilizer used for produce (option 1 has people throwing vegetables, after all). Having this speaker talk about reducing the N footprint by limiting the worst emitters, while still allowing non-meat alternatives, would make a reasonable option.

- In option 5: same challenge as before, suddenly the problem is caused by cows? This speaker should probably explain why this option will reduce the N footprint while remaining a viable economic and dietary replacement.

The issue is based on the farmers protests in the netherlands, which have a lot of livestock 'emitting' nitrogen which negatively affects the environment. By reducing the amount of nitrogen emitted by agriculture vulnerable nature gets protected (although the real reason is building more houses and roads).

The Rhein States
Attaché

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Rhein States » Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:07 pm

I have scrapped option 3 as in the real world nothing happened with this fact (contradicting my expectation). I also tried to add the fact that this issue is about livestock (cows and pigs).

Dilemma:
Roads blocked by tractors, pitchforks raised in protest, and piles of hay and compost dumped in city squares. Obligated by the climate treaty to reduce nitrogen emissions and protect vulnerable environmental habitats, a reduction of the amount of livestock farmers is being proposed and @@NAME@@'s farmers have risen in vehement opposition to it as a result.

Option 1: “Are you nuts, @@LEADER@@?”, shouts an angry mob of farmers outside your office building, as you turn around to see what the commotion is about, a bombardment of fruits and vegetables is thrown at your windows, “We farmers have been feeling pressured for a while now. More manure means more food. Get rid of that climate treaty so we can keep on going!”

Option 2: “Compared to member states of @@REGION@@ our situation is worst”, explains @@RANDOMNAME@@, the window cleaner, who coincidentally has studied climate sciences at @@CAPITAL@@ University, while a stray banana peel flies through an open window, “The agricultural sector emits almost half of the damaging nitrogen yearly. Doing nothing will lead to a greater acidification. Important minerals will wash out of the soil which are crucial for both plants and animals. We need to protect our environment and buy out all livestock farms!”

Option 3: “Changing our diets will have a much greater impact”, coins @@RANDOMNAME@@, a famous Vegan influencer, mixing a variety of vegetables in your blender, “Nowadays there are many green alternatives on offer. Take my healthy kale and celery burgers, I’m just making some! Not everyone will like it but you have to enforce vegetarianism for all, for the good of mother Earth. Now, who wants to try my creation?”

Option 4: “Go nuts!”, exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, everyone turning their heads to see who made this weird remark, @@HE@@ starts to speak very quickly, “I.. I mean that by combining husbandry and trees, either for nuts or timber, which will enable farmers to diversify their produce and income. This is called agroforestry. In return farmers must hold less cows but the government should help subsidise the trees and shrubs. Let us become the biggest nut… exporters of @@REGION@@!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?