NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Nuclear Arms Proliferation Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

[DRAFT] Nuclear Arms Proliferation Act

Postby Lord Dominator » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:55 pm

“While I certainly appreciate the reappearance of my good friends from Cretox, I must say that I am rather annoyed by their brazen theft of my future proposal plans. Ambassador Lorica apparently feels extant resolutions are sufficient to cover the area, but I rather disagree. It’s a grop-darned tragedy that we’ve only protected the right to possess nuclear weapons, but never enabled the possession of them.”

The World Assembly;

Aghast that non-member nations now outnumber member nations by more than twelve to one;

Observing that this is more than double the ratio at the time Safeguarding Nuclear Materials passed, itself observing a ratio doubled over the one that the Nuclear Arms Possession Act observed;

Believing that the ability to possess nuclear weapons is a useful tool to prevent interference in a nation’s affairs by another nation;

Considering that the massive number of non-member nations not subject to resolutions the General Assembly has passed regulating war, international diplomacy and other topics leaves member nations disadvantaged in dealing with nations who have chosen not to comply with common-sense legislation promoting peace and the development of all;

Holding that member nations should maintain a right to nuclear weapons and that the World Assembly should facilitate thus, hereby:

Reiterates the right of all member nations to possess nuclear weapons and use them in their own defense or that of other nations;

Prohibits member nations from transferring nuclear weapons, knowledge regarding the manufacture and construction of such, and materials with which to construct such to non-state entities;

Establishes SKYNET as a subsidiary committee of the Nuclear Energy Safety Committee with the following duties:
  • Determine whether a given non-member nation is likely to use nuclear weapons against a member nation and prohibit the transfer by any member nation to said non-member of the items indicated in the prior clause,
  • Maintain knowledge of the construction and manufacture of all kinds of nuclear weapons, assisted by the extant knowledge of member nations,
  • Assist member nations in the development of their own nuclear weapons using the aforementioned knowledge when asked,
  • Enable the World Assembly to defend itself with nuclear weapons in retaliation for any used against it and to enable the rapid destruction of facilities to prevent their capture by any hostile forces.
Last edited by Lord Dominator on Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:57 pm

“I am of course aware that the last bit is utterly illegal to include in a proposal at this time, but I rather intended this to appear after the abomination was repealed.”

OOC: This isn’t entirely serious, but my basic intent is.
Last edited by Lord Dominator on Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:58 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:Enable the World Assembly to defend itself with nuclear weapons

No.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:01 pm

Tinhampton wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:Enable the World Assembly to defend itself with nuclear weapons

No.

“The ambassador might observe that nuclear weapons must first be used against it, before any nuclear retaliation is allowed. It would after all be fairly MAD to allow for unrestricted usage.”
Last edited by Lord Dominator on Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heidgaudr
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Heidgaudr » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:10 pm

An aide from the Heidgaudr delegation stands up. "When considering the many hyper-advanced nations throughout the multi verse, it's strange to stop at just nuclear weapons. After all, they may prove woefully inadequate when facing more scientifically advanced foes. I'd recommend expanding the scope of this bill to any and all weaponry that - Yarrg!"

Asgeir Trelstad yanks the collar of the aide's shirt, sending the young man down sprawled on the floor. Trelstad clears his throat. "The Associated Communities oppose this bill."
Last edited by Heidgaudr on Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
IC comments are from Amb. Asgeir Trelstad unless otherwise stated.
Factbooks: WA Staff | WA Agenda | Government | Religion | Demographics
Resolutions authored: GA#629, GA#638, GA#650

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:15 pm

Heidgaudr wrote:An aide from the Heidgaudr delegation stands up. "When considering the many hyper-advanced nations throughout the multi verse, it's strange to do at just nuclear weapons. After all, they may prove woefully inadequate when facing more scientifically advanced foes. I'd recommend expanding the scope of this bill to any and all weaponry that - Yarrg!"

Asgeir Trelstad yanks the collar of the aide's shirt, sending the young man down sprawled on the floor. Trelstad clears his throat. "The Associated Communities oppose this bill."

“While I personally would love to legislate such, in light of the typical technology possessed by our fellow member states, opposed non-member states, and the prior consideration of this topic it seemed prudent to limit myself. Might I ask then Ambassador why your nations opposes this?”

Heidgaudr
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Heidgaudr » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:40 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:
Heidgaudr wrote:An aide from the Heidgaudr delegation stands up. "When considering the many hyper-advanced nations throughout the multi verse, it's strange to do at just nuclear weapons. After all, they may prove woefully inadequate when facing more scientifically advanced foes. I'd recommend expanding the scope of this bill to any and all weaponry that - Yarrg!"

“While I personally would love to legislate such, in light of the typical technology possessed by our fellow member states, opposed non-member states, and the prior consideration of this topic it seemed prudent to limit myself. Might I ask then Ambassador why your nations opposes this?”

"We believe that - one moment please." Trelstad turns back and leans down to address the fallen aide. The microphone picks up a few snippets of the conversation: "Stop making this more difficult than it has to ... no, I don't ... just shut up."

Trelstad turns back around to address the Assembly. "We believe that this subject is adequately covered by existing legislation. Furthermore, the section that states "Assist member nations in the development of their own nuclear weapons using the aforementioned knowledge," we believe can have negative externalities. The proliferation of nuclear weapons is a complex diplomatic and military issue, and one which we don't believe the World Assembly should be interfering in. We believe it will cause more harm than good as it may lead to arms races and the escalation of military threat."

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:54 pm

Heidgaudr wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:“While I personally would love to legislate such, in light of the typical technology possessed by our fellow member states, opposed non-member states, and the prior consideration of this topic it seemed prudent to limit myself. Might I ask then Ambassador why your nations opposes this?”

"We believe that - one moment please." Trelstad turns back and leans down to address the fallen aide. The microphone picks up a few snippets of the conversation: "Stop making this more difficult than it has to ... no, I don't ... just shut up."

Trelstad turns back around to address the Assembly. "We believe that this subject is adequately covered by existing legislation. Furthermore, the section that states "Assist member nations in the development of their own nuclear weapons using the aforementioned knowledge," we believe can have negative externalities. The proliferation of nuclear weapons is a complex diplomatic and military issue, and one which we don't believe the World Assembly should be interfering in. We believe it will cause more harm than good as it may lead to arms races and the escalation of military threat."

“Observably, any individual member nation is already likely to be on the losing end of an arms race they may end up, simply because other resolutions already place limits on military technology, among other things. The WA assisting in weighing the scale in favor of its members is simply good policy in consideration of that. Additionally, you drew my attention to the non-optionality of that clause, an error which I have now destroyed.”

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 09, 2019
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Simone Republic » Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:33 am

Tinhampton wrote:

No.

Yes yes yes
All posts OOC. (He/him). I don't speak for TNP. IC the "white bear" (it) is for jokes only.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:15 am

Totally based. Make your clauses spell BASED too!

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:26 am

Does "SKYNET" stand for anything or is it just six capital letters smoshed together in the hopes that somebody, somewhere, will be able to make a Terminator 2: Judgment Day joke about it?

This resolution both forbids member states from transferring nuclear knowledge to non-state entities while requiring SKYNET, a non-state entity, to use "the extant knowledge of member nations" as a guide in its work. How deliberate was this supposed to be?

If "the massive number of non-member nations not subject to resolutions the General Assembly has passed regulating war, international diplomacy and other topics leaves member nations disadvantaged in dealing with nations who have chosen not to comply with common-sense legislation promoting peace and the development of all," then why does this resolution only cover nuclear weapons?

Capture of facilities by hostile forces: Hostile to who?
Last edited by Tinhampton on Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:35 am

Tinhampton wrote:Does "SKYNET" stand for anything or is it just six capital letters smoshed together in the hopes that somebody, somewhere, will be able to make a Terminator 2: Judgment Day joke about it?

OOC: It’s capital letters until/unless I figure out an acronym. Fair notes all around otherwise.

The Orwell Society
Minister

Founded: Apr 16, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Orwell Society » Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:12 pm

"We strenuously support this piece of legislation. Let them have nukes!"
The Orwell Society
Straight Male | Political Alignment: Centrist leaning conservative | NSGP Alignment: Independent | Proud Wellspringer, join The Wellspring today!

A vision without action is just a daydream

Heavens Reach
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Heavens Reach » Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:42 pm

Strongly oppose. High-yield conventional weaponry (e.g. kinetic weapons, explosives), and non-conventional weaponry that don't produce radioisotopes (e.g. antimatter), are sufficient to act as a deterrent without the generation nuclear fallout. Radiation sickness from fallout would cause, not just widespread, but a particularly ghastly sort of suffering, with primarily civilian casualties, and should be considered heinous under the same reasoning that biological and chemical weapons have already been banned by this body. In addition, uncontrollable and far-reaching ecological damage; massive civilian casualties that continue to rack up years after the act of war itself; degradation of the collective genomic data of every exposed species, with especial concern for those species which are sentient, sapient, or a cornerstone species of their biome; and the potential for global (i.e. international) economic or even civil collapse are also each individually good enough reasons not to codify, or to continue to codify, access to nuclear weapons. Besides which, the best deterrent is not one which endangers the welfare of an entire region (which to a despot -- however foolish it may be -- might not even rise to the level of concern), but which precisely targets those with the desire and wherewithal to foment war.
Last edited by Heavens Reach on Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nepleslia
Envoy

Founded: Jun 23, 2020
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Nepleslia » Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:44 pm

Full support.

Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:33 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:“I am of course aware that the last bit is utterly illegal to include in a proposal at this time, but I rather intended this to appear after the abomination was repealed.”

OOC: This isn’t entirely serious, but my basic intent is.

Lorica: "Ambassador, your proposal doesn't appear to actually contradict GA 10 in any way that we can see, other than potential complications caused by the REQUIRES clause (giving other nations access to your nukes and/or information regarding them could increase the risk that those weapons "fall into the wrong hands").

However, your proposal would likely contradict GA 418:

Establishes SKYNET as a subsidiary committee of the Nuclear Energy Safety Committee with the following duties: Determine whether a given non-member nation is likely to use nuclear weapons against a member nation and prohibit the transfer by any member nation to said non-member of the items indicated in the prior clause

Maintains the right of member nations to manufacture and trade nuclear weapons or reactors, to possess the materials required in such manufacture, and to acquire the materials required in such manufacture

418 gives members the right to trade nuclear weapons, while your proposal would infringe on that right.

We also have a question about the following clause of your proposal:
[SKYNET will m]aintain knowledge of the construction and manufacture of all kinds of nuclear weapons, assisted by the extant knowledge of member nations

How will the committee acquire that knowledge? The requirement that the committee have this knowledge and that this knowledge be at least partly based on that of members implies some mandatory component to the acquisition of this knowledge. How can we be assured that we won't be required to turn over state secrets to a WA committee, which can then be asked by another nation to help develop their own weapons using those secrets?"
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Simone Republic » Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:49 pm

Cretox State wrote:

Welcome back.
All posts OOC. (He/him). I don't speak for TNP. IC the "white bear" (it) is for jokes only.

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Simone Republic » Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:59 pm

Tinhampton wrote:Does "SKYNET" stand for anything or is it just six capital letters smoshed together in the hopes that somebody, somewhere, will be able to make a Terminator 2: Judgment Day joke about it?

This resolution both forbids member states from transferring nuclear knowledge to non-state entities while requiring SKYNET, a non-state entity, to use "the extant knowledge of member nations" as a guide in its work. How deliberate was this supposed to be?

If "the massive number of non-member nations not subject to resolutions the General Assembly has passed regulating war, international diplomacy and other topics leaves member nations disadvantaged in dealing with nations who have chosen not to comply with common-sense legislation promoting peace and the development of all," then why does this resolution only cover nuclear weapons?

Capture of facilities by hostile forces: Hostile to who?

(In character in the style of Jennifer Government, so me trying to mimic the first few pages of Max Barry's book in a not very convincing way here)

Well, we are now at a point where the rest of the world resembles Jennifer Government (or Jennifer Government: NationStates, for that matter), with big oil (ExxonMobil then, Gazprom now) jacking up prices especially in the colony that is the UK (80%? 100%? Or whenever equilibrium is reached when enough pensioners freeze to death this winter and reduce demand), the US fully taking over the UK and Australia, China and Russia (and Europe) forming their own trade blocks, what's the problem with sending some nukes to other countries already owned by the United States, like Australia? It's only US$100 billion dollars (for the first tranche). We had to stop trading with France for that, but the United States never traded with France anyway and that was an anormaly.

For the honorable (without an "U" please, we speak American) ambassador, I recommend the new surname "Tinhampton Shell" or "Tinhampton BP" before winter comes.

(End of in character message)
Last edited by Simone Republic on Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:17 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:23 pm

Prohibits member nations from transferring nuclear weapons, knowledge regarding the manufacture and construction of such, and materials with which to construct such to non-state entities;

Adelia looks over the proposal, her frown deepening as she goes on. She highlights a portion of it before speaking:

"This, uh, would make it illegal for nations to transfer fissile material to civilian nuclear power plants, and, er, other such things like that. I suggest removing the 'materials' part. Also, what exactly is SKYNET? It sounds s-scary."
Last edited by Excidium Planetis on Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:47 am

Tinhampton wrote:

No.

"This has our full support."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Hulldom
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Hulldom » Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:49 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Tinhampton wrote:No.

"This has our full support."

"I'm sure the gnomes have taken Ambassador Bell to see those rooms in the basement of Building A that my ambassador has been physically restricted from seeing."
...And I feel like I'm clinging to a cloud!

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:46 am

Zylkoven: "With the repeal of the NAPA, it is our delegation's hope that this proposal will be submitted to the General Assembly imminently."
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:22 am

You have the full support of the USP in this endeavor. No notes.

Nigel S Youlkin
USP Ambassador to the WA.
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

Heidgaudr
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Heidgaudr » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:22 am

Lord Dominator wrote:Prohibits member nations from transferring nuclear weapons, knowledge regarding the manufacture and construction of such, and materials with which to construct such to non-state entities;

"Exactly what constitutes materials? All radioactive material, all forms of the specific elements used in nuclear weapons (e.g. uranium), or just the enriched versions (e.g. uranium-235)? I'm curious because overly broad definitions will lead to the banning of medical treatment."

Lord Dominator wrote:Assist member nations in the development of their own nuclear weapons using the aforementioned knowledge when asked,

"Asked by whom? And by what authority?"

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:50 am

"Any committee aiding in a member's nuclear weapon development program should first require the member state be in full compliance with WA law for a predetermined period. Otherwise nations may join, request aid while still" coming into compliance," and then resign, having gained the benefits of membership without paying the requisite tolls."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly