NATION

PASSWORD

Oder River in Poland Poisoned

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
San Lumen
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 75436
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Oder River in Poland Poisoned

Postby San Lumen » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:58 pm

https://apnews.com/article/crime-poland ... df3c97a467

Huge’ amounts of chemical waste were dumped into the Oder river in Poland and may have irreversibly wiped out the entire ecosystem of the river and throwing a large portion of the country in health and environmental crisis. Even if its not wiped out it will take years to recover.

The poison may be mercury but this is not confirmed. '

How could anyone be so evil and heartless to effectively destroy an entire river? It takes a special kind of evil to do something like this and I hope whoever is responsible is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. I would be inclined to charge them with genocide.

Your thoughts on this almost unfathomable tragedy and disaster?
Last edited by San Lumen on Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Neon Lunar Eclipse
Envoy
 
Posts: 246
Founded: Jul 02, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Neon Lunar Eclipse » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:01 pm

It's all over the news where I live. Some of saying that it might be some irresponsible greedy corporation, some say it could eco-terrorists (they already start forest fires), and of course some are saying it might be Russia's doing.
50% Japanese, 50% Czech, 100% Badass
Support Ukraine, oppose Russophobia
History doesn't lie. Communism kills.

User avatar
San Lumen
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 75436
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby San Lumen » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:15 pm

Neon Lunar Eclipse wrote:It's all over the news where I live. Some of saying that it might be some irresponsible greedy corporation, some say it could eco-terrorists (they already start forest fires), and of course some are saying it might be Russia's doing.


Whoever is responsible should be prosecuted to fullest extent of the law. I’d make an example of them and use the charge of genocide.

User avatar
Abarri
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 430
Founded: Aug 10, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Abarri » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:13 pm

Poland's Eurovision entry this year suddenly came to mind.


Anyway:

Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki, whose government is under pressure for its handling of what appears to be a major environmental catastrophe, vowed that Polish authorities would hold the perpetrators to account.

“Huge amounts of chemical waste were probably dumped in the Oder River with full awareness of the risks and consequences,” he said in a video on Facebook. “We will not let this matter go. We will not rest until the guilty are severely punished.”


Probably? Probably!? No wonder Germany must be so irritated.


https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/de ... 022-08-11/

Regional environmental protection authorities in Wroclaw said Oder water samples taken on July 28 showed an 80% probability that they contained mesitylene, a toxic substance, although this was not present in samples taken after Aug. 1.


I am not familiar with mesitylene's industrial uses.
Click to see factbook entries. Please ignore the income tax rate provided by NS.

Prefers The South Pacific. Spanish is not my native language. I often take things for granted. Green is my favorite color. Collects music CDs. A male who's an almost-libertarian. Nominal non-practicing Protestant. Eh, to heck with it, I'm unaffiliated. Poetaster.
How I found NS. Try not guessing where I reside.
We need to accept that there are things beyond our control.
Also, if having a letter in a flag is a sin, I'm your vexillographical sinner.

User avatar
Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21581
Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Saiwania » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:20 pm

Eco-terrorists wouldn't poison a river, unless if it could further an environmental aim which it wouldn't. Eco-terrorists would be more inclined to destroy/blow up something like an oil pipeline or refinery, because violence against such a place would directly put a stop to some carbon emissions or otherwise keep more oil products in the ground and keep it from being burned and hence contribute to climate change.
Last edited by Saiwania on Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All life is a battle, even to the last breath.
Showing mercy to an enemy creates a spiral of destruction.
Sacrificing your strength is the path of a fool.

User avatar
Neon Lunar Eclipse
Envoy
 
Posts: 246
Founded: Jul 02, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Neon Lunar Eclipse » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:28 pm

Saiwania wrote:Eco-terrorists wouldn't poison a river, unless if it could further an environmental aim which it wouldn't. Eco-terrorists would be more inclined to destroy/blow up something like an oil pipeline or refinery, because violence against such a place would directly put a stop to some carbon emissions or otherwise keep more oil products in the ground and keep it from being burned and hence contribute to climate change.


Then why do they start forest fires and kill animals?
50% Japanese, 50% Czech, 100% Badass
Support Ukraine, oppose Russophobia
History doesn't lie. Communism kills.

User avatar
Kurkis
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 2
Founded: Jan 14, 2022
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kurkis » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:31 pm

Welp for Czech Republic (Near ostrava and the order river there) parts of Siselia, germany, pomerania and others. This is an example of why not to dump your toxic wastes and chemicals into rivers, as it also affects humans who need the water to bath or drink.
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
a

User avatar
Sordhau
Minister
 
Posts: 2869
Founded: Nov 24, 2021
Democratic Socialists

Postby Sordhau » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:32 pm

Neon Lunar Eclipse wrote:
Saiwania wrote:Eco-terrorists wouldn't poison a river, unless if it could further an environmental aim which it wouldn't. Eco-terrorists would be more inclined to destroy/blow up something like an oil pipeline or refinery, because violence against such a place would directly put a stop to some carbon emissions or otherwise keep more oil products in the ground and keep it from being burned and hence contribute to climate change.


Then why do they start forest fires and kill animals?


They don't? Eco-terrorists target industry and infrastructure (or the people/companies that put them up) that pollute/harm the environment.
| ☆ | ☭ | With Ukraine; Against Russia | With Taiwan; Against China | With Armenia; Against Azerbaijan | ☭ | ☆ |

She/Her
Jennifer/Jenny
My Politics
About Me

User avatar
Neon Lunar Eclipse
Envoy
 
Posts: 246
Founded: Jul 02, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Neon Lunar Eclipse » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:34 pm

Sordhau wrote:
Neon Lunar Eclipse wrote:
Then why do they start forest fires and kill animals?


They don't? Eco-terrorists target industry and infrastructure (or the people/companies that put them up) that pollute/harm the environment.


Except, they do.
50% Japanese, 50% Czech, 100% Badass
Support Ukraine, oppose Russophobia
History doesn't lie. Communism kills.

User avatar
Sordhau
Minister
 
Posts: 2869
Founded: Nov 24, 2021
Democratic Socialists

Postby Sordhau » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:38 pm

Neon Lunar Eclipse wrote:
Sordhau wrote:
They don't? Eco-terrorists target industry and infrastructure (or the people/companies that put them up) that pollute/harm the environment.


Except, they do.


They literally don't. You can't be an eco-terrorist and destroy the environment. Eco-terrorists are first and foremost environmentalists; hence the "eco-" in the name.
| ☆ | ☭ | With Ukraine; Against Russia | With Taiwan; Against China | With Armenia; Against Azerbaijan | ☭ | ☆ |

She/Her
Jennifer/Jenny
My Politics
About Me

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 154812
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ifreann » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:45 pm

This sounds like a job for Captain Planet.
no war but class war
He/Him


One day the long fought battle between humanity and the forces of greed and division will end,
and on that day, finally free, we will throw a motherfucking party
- ancient proverb, probably

User avatar
San Lumen
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 75436
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby San Lumen » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:45 pm

Ifreann wrote:This sounds like a job for Captain Planet.


I wish he really existed.

User avatar
Neon Lunar Eclipse
Envoy
 
Posts: 246
Founded: Jul 02, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Neon Lunar Eclipse » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:49 pm

Sordhau wrote:
Neon Lunar Eclipse wrote:
Except, they do.


They literally don't. You can't be an eco-terrorist and destroy the environment. Eco-terrorists are first and foremost environmentalists; hence the "eco-" in the name.


They literally do. They are terrorists.
50% Japanese, 50% Czech, 100% Badass
Support Ukraine, oppose Russophobia
History doesn't lie. Communism kills.

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 154812
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ifreann » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:21 pm

Neon Lunar Eclipse wrote:
Sordhau wrote:
They literally don't. You can't be an eco-terrorist and destroy the environment. Eco-terrorists are first and foremost environmentalists; hence the "eco-" in the name.


They literally do. They are terrorists.

Which forest fires are you talking about?
no war but class war
He/Him


One day the long fought battle between humanity and the forces of greed and division will end,
and on that day, finally free, we will throw a motherfucking party
- ancient proverb, probably

User avatar
The Two Jerseys
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18363
Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Two Jerseys » Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:07 pm

Ifreann wrote:This sounds like a job for Captain Planet.

Thanks for the earworm...
"The Duke of Texas" is too formal for regular use. Just call me "Your Grace".
"If I would like to watch goodness, sanity, God and logic being fucked I would watch Japanese porn." -Nightkill the Emperor
"This thread makes me wish I was a moron so that I wouldn't have to comprehend how stupid the topic is." -The Empire of Pretantia
Head of State: HM King Louis
Head of Government: The Rt. Hon. James O'Dell MP, Prime Minister
Ambassador to the World Assembly: HE Sir John Ross "J.R." Ewing II, Bt.
Join Excalibur Squadron. We're Commandos who fly Spitfires. Chicks dig Commandos who fly Spitfires.

User avatar
Haganham
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1218
Founded: Aug 17, 2021
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Haganham » Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:09 pm

Abarri wrote:Poland's Eurovision entry this year suddenly came to mind.


Anyway:

Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki, whose government is under pressure for its handling of what appears to be a major environmental catastrophe, vowed that Polish authorities would hold the perpetrators to account.

“Huge amounts of chemical waste were probably dumped in the Oder River with full awareness of the risks and consequences,” he said in a video on Facebook. “We will not let this matter go. We will not rest until the guilty are severely punished.”


Probably? Probably!? No wonder Germany must be so irritated.

It is possible that the person who did the dumping was not the person who actually produced the chemicals, and was not aware of how harmful it would be.

Sordhau wrote:
Neon Lunar Eclipse wrote:
Except, they do.


They literally don't. You can't be an eco-terrorist and destroy the environment. Eco-terrorists are first and foremost environmentalists; hence the "eco-" in the name.

There is also ecoterrorist meaning a terrorist who targets the ecosystem.
Last edited by Haganham on Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember kids, if it doesn't have private property rights, competitive markets and voluntary exchange then it's just sparkling feudalism.
TITO Tactial Officer
Assistant WA secretary: 10000 Islands, TEP
Praefectus Praetorio, Caesar: Oatland
Cartographer: Forest

User avatar
Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21581
Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Saiwania » Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:14 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Ifreann wrote:This sounds like a job for Captain Planet.

I wish he really existed.


He'd be kept busy everyday and he'd perhaps get annoyed with us at needing to constantly use his magic powers to conviently undo or counter the damage we easily do to the planet in pursuing our various economic/societal aims. We'd take advantage of him until his powers were drained dry.

Most polluters unfortunately, aren't just villains who're making a mess for the hell of it; but because what we want has a hard trade off or negative outcome that goes along with the benefits. People are trying to extract wealth or do a job that has a cost to it.

People need wood to build certain houses/furniture for example, but it means in the short term that a forest will be cut down. We have a thirst for metals to add to our cities and electronics, but someone out there has to mine and refine it- which will leave us with byproducts and such to have to deal with.
Last edited by Saiwania on Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
All life is a battle, even to the last breath.
Showing mercy to an enemy creates a spiral of destruction.
Sacrificing your strength is the path of a fool.

User avatar
Sordhau
Minister
 
Posts: 2869
Founded: Nov 24, 2021
Democratic Socialists

Postby Sordhau » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:07 pm

Neon Lunar Eclipse wrote:
Sordhau wrote:
They literally don't. You can't be an eco-terrorist and destroy the environment. Eco-terrorists are first and foremost environmentalists; hence the "eco-" in the name.


They literally do. They are terrorists.


Who? Which "eco-terrorists" are setting forest fires and killing animals? Please explain the rationale behind an environmentalist destroying the environment. Please explain how destroying the environment advances the environmentalist agenda.

Haganham wrote:There is also ecoterrorist meaning a terrorist who targets the ecosystem.


That is not what ecoterrorism means.
| ☆ | ☭ | With Ukraine; Against Russia | With Taiwan; Against China | With Armenia; Against Azerbaijan | ☭ | ☆ |

She/Her
Jennifer/Jenny
My Politics
About Me

User avatar
Kingdom of Intermaria
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 155
Founded: Aug 07, 2022
New York Times Democracy

Postby Kingdom of Intermaria » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:12 pm

I'm not supposed to go on issues from somewhere I don't live in, but I don't think Oder River in Poland goes through the Russian border. It may be just an corporations' wrong-doing. Aslong as no one uses the river for drinking or any wells connecting to the river, it will be okay. Sorry for not doing my research. Also I'm not from America.
Last edited by Kingdom of Intermaria on Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
|Republik Federasi| oudf Aituia|Since 1700s|
The Republic Aituian Federation (Republik Aituia Federasi) is an Right-Auth nation, or an Democratic Constitutional Republic, with 8 major political parties, the three biggest major parties being Liberal Aituian Party, Nationalist Democratic Coalition (renamed) and the "Yellow" Monarchists.
Hi, I am Aituia
[Forum Name: Mauser]
[Account age: 5 monthes-ish]
["Political Identity": Nationalist Democrat]
[Gender: Male]
(Link to TV-N4 (News, entertaintment and radio) will be added)

User avatar
Frisemark
Attaché
 
Posts: 91
Founded: Aug 07, 2021
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Frisemark » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:21 pm

Kingdom of Intermaria wrote:I'm not supposed to go on issues from somewhere I don't live in, but I don't think Oder River in Poland goes through the Russian border. It may be just an corporations' wrong-doing. Aslong as no one uses the river for drinking or any wells connecting to the river, it will be okay. Sorry for not doing my research. Also I'm not from America.


Bro.

The Oder River Basin has a drainage area of 118,938 km², most of which is in Poland. The population of the basin is close to 16 million inhabitants and 50.4% of the basin is agricultural cropland.

Tourism is also a significant part of the Oder's economic value. It's a lot harder to get tourists to do things on your river when it's seen as a toxic pool of death-piss.
Last edited by Frisemark on Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Kingdom of Frisemark
Denmark and the Netherlands had a kid, and it loves the color blue.
Liberal interventionist. This nation is only mostly for me to autofellate my personal views. I HATE THE POLITICAL COMPASS.

F7’s resident sleep paralysis demon. Clinton Foundation deep cover agent, George Soros' loyal Jewish Space Laser operator, and Tony Blair's hand-picked online defender.

User avatar
Kingdom of Intermaria
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 155
Founded: Aug 07, 2022
New York Times Democracy

Postby Kingdom of Intermaria » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:23 pm

Frisemark wrote:
Kingdom of Intermaria wrote:I'm not supposed to go on issues from somewhere I don't live in, but I don't think Oder River in Poland goes through the Russian border. It may be just an corporations' wrong-doing. Aslong as no one uses the river for drinking or any wells connecting to the river, it will be okay. Sorry for not doing my research. Also I'm not from America.


Bro.

The Oder River Basin has a drainage area of 118,938 km², most of which is in Poland. The population of the basin is close to 16 million inhabitants and 50.4% of the basin is agricultural cropland.

Tourism is also a significant part of the Oder's economic value. It's a lot harder to get tourists to do things on your river when it's seen as a toxic pool of death-piss.

I feel like an idiot, or an American. Thanks, though, ally.
|Republik Federasi| oudf Aituia|Since 1700s|
The Republic Aituian Federation (Republik Aituia Federasi) is an Right-Auth nation, or an Democratic Constitutional Republic, with 8 major political parties, the three biggest major parties being Liberal Aituian Party, Nationalist Democratic Coalition (renamed) and the "Yellow" Monarchists.
Hi, I am Aituia
[Forum Name: Mauser]
[Account age: 5 monthes-ish]
["Political Identity": Nationalist Democrat]
[Gender: Male]
(Link to TV-N4 (News, entertaintment and radio) will be added)

User avatar
Emotional Support Crocodile
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1086
Founded: Jun 06, 2022
New York Times Democracy

Postby Emotional Support Crocodile » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:22 pm

Neon Lunar Eclipse wrote:It's all over the news where I live. Some of saying that it might be some irresponsible greedy corporation, some say it could eco-terrorists (they already start forest fires), and of course some are saying it might be Russia's doing.


If you are going to make a claim like that, you are going to need to provide some evidence.
Just another surprising item on the bagging scale of life

User avatar
Washington-Columbia
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 113
Founded: Jan 29, 2022
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Washington-Columbia » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:22 am

How did anyone think dumping chemical waste into a river was a really great idea?

This is definitely not a trade-off.
CBC N5 Weekly News: New Madrid Parliament considers new gun control law
Border Clash between Chad and Libya leave 221 Dead
ROMA Law in United States signed by Joe Biden
SPECIAL NEWS REPORT: ISO Searching for terrorists involved in VNSE Bombing, Final Death toll at 456

Proud hater of Marxism-Leninism, The Soviets, The Axis and the PRC

SHUT UP [names of people who unironically support Nazi Germany], YOURE NOT AN SS OFFICER SENT TO DESTROY WOKE HEGIMONY, YOURE An EDGY 14-YEAR-OLD WHO LIVES IN CHICAGO, IL

User avatar
Duvniask
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6014
Founded: Aug 30, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Duvniask » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:27 am

Washington-Columbia wrote:How did anyone think dumping chemical waste into a river was a really great idea?

This is definitely not a trade-off.

Because they're not going to pay for the consequences. That is the essence of negative externalities.
Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama. Ek veit einn at aldri deyr: dómr um dauðan hvern.

User avatar
Emotional Support Crocodile
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1086
Founded: Jun 06, 2022
New York Times Democracy

Postby Emotional Support Crocodile » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:59 am

Washington-Columbia wrote:How did anyone think dumping chemical waste into a river was a really great idea?

This is definitely not a trade-off.


Illegal dumping is a mainstay of organised crime.
Just another surprising item on the bagging scale of life

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Andsed, Fourth Jellian Republic, Hurdergaryp, Idzequitch, Imperial States of Duotona, Khurkhogur, Mets Hayk, New Eestiball, Sordhau, The United Penguin Commonwealth, Window Land

Advertisement

Remove ads