NATION

PASSWORD

[ABANDONED] Religious Imperialism Proscription

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:53 pm

How does this pass Freedom of Religion's strict scrutiny? This proposal also is not Moral Decency: Strong. Significant at most, probably Mild due to the lack of breadth.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:03 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:How does this pass Freedom of Religion's strict scrutiny?

OOC: That is why this question was posed at the start of this thread :)

Daarwyrth wrote:OOC: While I realise this is still a draft, I would like to direct the following question to the members of the GenSec: GAR #430 "Freedom of Religion" describes 'religious practice' as "any practice associated with a religion, be it practiced through rituals, prayer, or any other sort of activity, performed either individually or in a group". Would 'missionary work' fall under 'religious practice', and would, by extent, this proposal be illegal due to contradicting GAR #430?

The way I see it, the argument could be made that missionary work would be impacting a culture and societal identity by challenging the beliefs that community already holds. For example, the missionaries may preach that a community is blasphemous and condemned to hell. Individuals who then follow those beliefs within that community, aka the newly converted, may then proceed to oppose that group's existing cultural identity as they would similarly consider it sinful. This might lead to tension and subsequently disorder, due to the two groups being in conflict with one another. That is why the proposal mentioned the erasure or eradication of cultures several times.

However, Honeydew and I are highly interested in the opinion of the GenSec on this matter.
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:33 pm

OOC. There exist religious groups like the Latter Day Saints (ie Mormons) who do lots of missionary work, which they relate to a biblical commandment, specifically "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations". Matt. 28:19–20. I wouldn't say it is implausible that this would be the case. Proceeding thereon, how does this policy fit strict scrutiny for your public order impact?

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Desmosthenes and Burke
GA Secretariat

Founded: Oct 07, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:07 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:The way I see it, the argument could be made that missionary work would be impacting a culture and societal identity by challenging the beliefs that community already holds. For example, the missionaries may preach that a community is blasphemous and condemned to hell. Individuals who then follow those beliefs within that community, aka the newly converted, may then proceed to oppose that group's existing cultural identity as they would similarly consider it sinful. This might lead to tension and subsequently disorder, due to the two groups being in conflict with one another. That is why the proposal mentioned the erasure or eradication of cultures several times.

However, Honeydew and I are highly interested in the opinion of the GenSec on this matter.

OOC: I am not GenSec, but let us assume, for a moment that the above is valid (a point I am absolutely NOT conceding for a potential future legal challenge that I will make if this were to ever be submitted), how would a pre-emptive blanket complete ban on missionary work in all circumstances be the least restrictive means of achieving public order as opposed to, literally, any other method of maintaining public order, such as, say, through promoting education about the value of religious tolerance and pluralism, enforcing already existing laws, or any other method of conflict resolution and mutual accommodation one could think of?
GA Links: Proposal Rules | GenSec Procedures | Questions and Answers | Passed Resolutions
Late 30s French Married in NYC
Mostly Catholic, Libertarian-ish supporter of Le Rassemblement Nationale and Republican Party
Current Ambassador: Iulia Larcensis Metili, Legatus Plenipotentis
WA Elite Oligarch since 2023
National Sovereigntist
Name: Demosthenes and Burke
Language: Latin + Numerous tribal languages
Majority Party and Ideology: Aurora Latine - Roman Nationalism, Liberal Conservatism

Hébreux 13:2 - N’oubliez pas l’hospitalité car, grâce à elle, certains, sans le savoir, ont accueilli des anges.

Barfleur
GA Secretariat

Founded: Mar 04, 2019

Postby Barfleur » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:50 pm

"Barfleur, despite being a majority-irreligious nation, strongly opposes this proposal. We believe consenting adults--especially in nations which permit adults to engage in sex work, drug use, and alcohol use--have the maturity to decide for themselves what religion, or no religion, to practice. If, by hearing from a missionary, a person is convinced that one particular religion is 'true,' then that person should have the right to voluntarily adopt that religion as their own. It is quite infantilizing to tell people, especially from less-developed nations, that they are not really capable of thinking things through and making a deeply personal--and deeply meaningful--decision for themselves.

"In addition, this proposal makes the mistake of considering individuals to owe some spiritual allegiance to the religious group they happen to have been born into, rather than seeing individuals as individuals. If a person sincerely holds a faith, why does it matter whether they were born and raised (some might say indoctrinated) in that faith, or if they adopted it of their own free will as an adult? From my limited experience in this field, it is often the new converts who display the most zeal towards their new faith.

"Now, of course, I also assert the right of any nation, tribe, or individual to tell a missionary to piss off, as that is the other side of self-determination."
Last edited by Barfleur on Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador to the World Assembly: Edmure Norfield
Military Attaché: Colonel Lyndon Q. Ralston
Author, GA#597, GA#605, GA#609, GA#668, and GA#685.
Co-author, GA#534.
The Barfleurian World Assembly Mission may be found at Suite 59, South-West Building, WAHQ.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:47 pm

It is quite infantilizing to tell people, especially from less-developed nations, that they are not really capable of thinking things through and making a deeply personal--and deeply meaningful--decision for themselves.

It is deeply ironic to make this assertion about the proposal when this is the entire basis of missions. Missionaries have brought much pain, suffering and subjugation to the communities they claim to serve, not least through their cruel and coercive methods. Just like how it is perfectly normal and even better for people to practice religion outside of organised ones, people can and should convert without the influence of an imperialist.

-Benji
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Magecastle Embassy Building A5
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 03, 2022
Corporate Police State

Postby Magecastle Embassy Building A5 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:55 pm

Honeydewistania wrote:
It is quite infantilizing to tell people, especially from less-developed nations, that they are not really capable of thinking things through and making a deeply personal--and deeply meaningful--decision for themselves.

It is deeply ironic to make this assertion about the proposal when this is the entire basis of missions. Missionaries have brought much pain, suffering and subjugation to the communities they claim to serve, not least through their cruel and coercive methods. Just like how it is perfectly normal and even better for people to practice religion outside of organised ones, people can and should convert without the influence of an imperialist.

-Benji

"Would it not be more efficient to ban coercive methods of conversion, as opposed to banning missionary work wholesale?"
WA authorship.
Wallenburg wrote:If you get a Nobel Prize for the time machine because you wanted to win an argument on the Internet, try to remember the little people who started you on that way.
Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:Our research and user feedback found different use cases of bullets, such as hunting, national defense, and murder. Typically, most bullets fired do not kill people. However, sometimes they do. We found that nearly 100% of users were not impacted by shooting one random user every 30 days, reducing the likelihood of a negative impact on the average user.
Comfed wrote:When I look around me at the state of real life politics, with culture war arguments over abortion and LGBT rights, and then I look at the WA and see the same debates about cannibalism, I have hope for the world.

Morover
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Morover » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:09 pm

"Although my nation supports repeal of Resolution 430, we cannot support this, which is all but a ban on all major religions from maintaining their membership. We understand what the sponsors are attempting to achieve, and find it to be nothing more than an attempt to shock member nations, from the most left-leaning to the most right-leaning, through its radicality. We find this proposal to be counter to the very purpose of the World Assembly to uphold basic freedoms, not restrict them. We see not the least practical interest in the passage of this proposal."
World Assembly Author
ns.morover@gmail.com

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:45 pm

OOC: I don't see the so called "strict scrutiny" provision of GAR#430 as being all that cut and dried here. The relevant clause is:
"Asserts, furthermore, the right of all individuals in World Assembly member-states to engage in any religious practice, or to refuse to engage in said practices, without fear of state punishment, reprisal, or persecution, except where restrictions on said practice are the least restrictive means by which to advance a compelling, practical public interest in the maintenance of safety, health, or good order,"

If proselytising is indeed a genuine religious practice covered by GAR#430, then the right of an individual not to engage is also protected.

Whether missionary work is actually a religious practice at all is also far from clear.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:45 pm

Barfleur wrote:"It is quite infantilizing to tell people, especially from less-developed nations, that they are not really capable of thinking things through and making a deeply personal--and deeply meaningful--decision for themselves.

Zylkoven: "I sincerely hope that "less-developed nations'" was not directed at us, Ambassador. I'd like to remind you that at no point did we treat your delegation disrespectfully. We have brought this proposal draft forward to have its merit and workability discussed, and to determine a course of action based upon the commentary and feedback it'll receive."

Morover wrote:"Although my nation supports repeal of Resolution 430, we cannot support this, which is all but a ban on all major religions from maintaining their membership. We understand what the sponsors are attempting to achieve, and find it to be nothing more than an attempt to shock member nations, from the most left-leaning to the most right-leaning, through its radicality. We find this proposal to be counter to the very purpose of the World Assembly to uphold basic freedoms, not restrict them. We see not the least practical interest in the passage of this proposal."

"No, Ambassador, the intent here has not been to shock member nations or to cause any form of ruckus. We put forward an idea for a proposal, to have its content discussed by fellow delegations to determine its merit. The course of the discussion is making it clear to us what the general sentiment is and will be towards this proposal. Our delegation has not pressed forward in such situations in the past, and you can be assured of it that we won't start doing so now. We hoped that a potential discussion about this particular subject might inspire a basis for a repeal of GAR #430. Yet, as I have already said, the intent has not been to cause shock for any sort of amusement purposes."

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:47 pm

Smith: If you want to repeal a resolution, repeal a resolution. Don't write a completely unrelated resolution in the hopes that maybe, just maybe, you might be able to attract enough support for a repeal of the other resolution.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading One Summer: America 1927 by Bill Bryson

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:49 pm

Tinhampton wrote:Smith: If you want to repeal a resolution, repeal a resolution. Don't write a completely unrelated resolution in the hopes that maybe, just maybe, you might be able to attract enough support for a repeal of the other resolution.

Zylkoven: "You seem to have misunderstood our words, Delegate-Ambassador. It was not support that we were hoping to attract, but discussion. Surely, discussion is not a bad thing, or am I alone in this conviction?

As it happens, our delegation does have a repeal draft of GAR #430 at the ready, yet we are unsure whether we wish to put it forward at this point in time."
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:51 pm

I’m just going completely OOC here, but feel free to treat it as IC from an ambassador that I’ve left unnamed (or just OOC, or whatever)

In relation to IA’s points about religions with some degree of encouragement to proselytize, how would you expect this to interact with those religions that have some idea that at the very least, a priest/whatever will attempt such if someone comes up to them?

Similarly, do children count as a “group” by your thinking?

Have you considered the reverse side of this, wherein members of a given religious minority seek to reach out to those who have been forcibly converted in some manner? As written, such would also seem to fall afoul, as at least some intention is towards the idea of potentially bringing them back.
Last edited by Lord Dominator on Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:56 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:I’m just going completely OOC here, but feel free to treat it as IC from an ambassador that I’ve left unnamed (or just OOC, or whatever)

In relation to IA’s points about religions with some degree of encouragement to proselytize, how would you expect this to interact with those religions that have some idea that at the very least, a priest/whatever will attempt such if someone comes up to them?

Have you considered the reverse side of this, wherein members of a given religious minority seek to reach out to those who have been forcibly converted in some manner? As written, such would also seem to fall afoul, as at least some intention is towards the idea of potentially bringing them back.

OOC: Yes, those are very valid points that I hadn't considered yet. Children most certainly would constitute a "group of people", as they're a distinct group. And the reverse point that you bring up is also a very good point that I didn't consider prior to this, but which is quite obvious when you think about it.

As I said, I'm not going to force through an idea that receives commentary and feedback that clearly show and tell that it's not a good idea to go forward with it. That's why I put up the draft, to attract feedback and discussion. Had I hoped on a different turn of events? Sure, like with any project anyone has ever attempted, but if this is not workable or good enough, then that's that.
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:58 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:I’m just going completely OOC here, but feel free to treat it as IC from an ambassador that I’ve left unnamed (or just OOC, or whatever)

OOC: Yes, those are very valid points that I hadn't considered yet. Children most certainly would constitute a "group of people", as they're a distinct group. And the reverse point that you bring up is also a very good point that I didn't consider prior to this, but which is quite obvious when you think about it.

As I said, I'm not going to force through an idea that receives commentary and feedback that clearly show and tell that it's not a good idea to go forward with it. That's why I put up the draft, to attract feedback and discussion.

Fair enough all around - at the very least you’ve inspired me to potentially write my own version (maybe). I do appreciate the interesting proposal at least, much as I dislike parts.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:03 am

Lord Dominator wrote:Fair enough all around - at the very least you’ve inspired me to potentially write my own version (maybe). I do appreciate the interesting proposal at least, much as I dislike parts.

OOC: Thank you, I did write a draft for a repeal of GAR #430 which is in part based on the discussion here, but I think it’s better to let it sit for a while at this moment.

And I'm glad to hear I inspired you to (maybe) write your own version :)

EDIT: Based upon the commentary and feedback, Honeydewistania and I have decided not to go forward with this draft. Thank you all for your candor and thoughts!
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Previous

Advertisement