NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Repeal "Blood Donation Safety Etc"

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
User avatar
Magecastle Embassy Building A5
Envoy
 
Posts: 218
Founded: Jul 03, 2022
Iron Fist Consumerists

[DRAFT] Repeal "Blood Donation Safety Etc"

Postby Magecastle Embassy Building A5 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:10 pm

Ooc: Replacement


The Duke of Magecastle, Jeramy Vliet, had just finished leading The Ice States' for now successful negotiations with The Golden Throne to secure aid for the crisis The Ice States is facing at the hands of various crausader nations.

When the Ice diplomats left the negotiation room, however, he still had one more duty to do that day: present the mission's latest project to the international scene. He was tired, but could not let down the nation. So he crossed sovereignties to enter the A5 building at Magecastle, which was the World Assembly Mission room. He grabbed the copy of the draft, and put it into the photocopying machine. When a copy came out of the machine, he sighed, and entered the World Assembly portal. The world had blackened around him, until he appeared at the World Assembly Headquarters.

He went up to the Drafting space in the WA Headquarters, and placed the photocopy of the draft on an empty drafting desk _

The World Assembly,

Reaffirming its support for equality for minorities from discrimination, and recognising the noble aims of the resolution to promote this aim in the scope of blood donation -- in particular lifting discriminatory restrictions on donation of blood by minority groups,

Noting, however, the several flaws present in the resolution necessitating its repeal,

Finds as follows _

  • Its criminalisation of knowing donation of blood carrying a disease -- which makes no exception for donation for medical research -- dramatically harms the quality of world medical research, as it fails to recognise that blood carrying a disease may very well be useful for medical research -- especially that on the disease carried by that blood -- even if the blood would be unusable for administration to a patient.

  • Further, the effects of the resolutions "Biomedical Donation Omnibus Act" and "Biomedical Donor Rights" each supersede nearly all of the Blood Donation Safety and Equality Act's other protections, rendering the resolution obsolete and redundant.

  • Even without the Biomedical Donation Omnibus Act, the resolution's attempts to stop discrimination in blood donation are still inadequate, as the resolution does not stop member nations from immediately discarding donated blood due to the donor's belonging to a minority group, as long as blood donation clinics do not turn away prospective donors due to their belonging to that minority group. Thus, it does not protect any equality rights in blood donation.

For these reasons, be the "Blood Donation Safety and Equality Act" repealed.


He sat down at the desk. "Discuss. And I assure you, we will only submit this once the replacement resolution has passed too." he says, smirking annoyingly.



Ooc: Does this happen in real life? Yes -- for example, in Canada donating blood that has or is likely to have malaria or vCJD for research is perfectly legal; nb restrictions on donating HIV and Hepatitis blood for research are for the donor's health, rather than risk of transmission; the Stanford Blood Center has similar exceptions allowing those at risk of blood-borne diseases that otherwise would make one ineligible to donate blood for administration to donate for research; see also this paper on the subject. Not only is applying the same safety standard for research and administration donations ridiculous, but establishing criminal penalties for donation for research is even more absurd.
Last edited by Magecastle Embassy Building A5 on Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:15 pm, edited 50 times in total.
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
Old Hope wrote:There's always the other possibility. Abolishing Honest Mistake and let the people find out the failures and/or lies on their own. Easy, reduces oversight, and has no credible downsides.


lol

Wallenburg wrote:If you get a Nobel Prize for the time machine because you wanted to win an argument on the Internet, try to remember the little people who started you on that way.

User avatar
West Barack and East Obama
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 409
Founded: Apr 20, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:40 pm

Dr Justin Obama, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs: Support for repeal and not replace, and I certainly don't support a repeal based on the grounds. For example, the interpretation in the second item of your list is certainly bad faith and won't ever happen. I could deconstruct the rest but I have better things to do, like file my toenails. Maybe when I get the energy to care I will send a counter campaign against this tripe.
Last edited by West Barack and East Obama on Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Official Account for the West Barack and East Obama Foreign Affairs Taskforce. Usually controlled by Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Dr Justin Obama, with additional contributions where stated.

Ruled by His Royal Highness, Most Venerable, His Most Serene Presence (among others) President Barack Horatio Obama of the Obama Dynasty.

First team to play in the ODI World Trophy with a legally blind player #progressive

Only team to not be defeated by HUElavia in IAC 16

For some reason has a whole department dedicated to commenting on WA proposals despite not being part of it. (Wrote GAR#622 and SCR#418)

Allies: Lozho
Enemies: Anyone who dissents against us
she/her

Proud Esportivan and Sonnelian

im problematic :/

Not actually an Obama fan in real life

User avatar
Tinhampton
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11099
Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:00 pm

support in principle
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 319,372): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415
Other achievements: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; possibly very controversial; *author of the most popular WA resolution ever
Who am I, really? 46yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate; currently reading nothing much

User avatar
Anne of Cleves in TNP
Envoy
 
Posts: 317
Founded: Aug 12, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Anne of Cleves in TNP » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:38 am

“I agree with Dr. Obama that the second item of the list that such a scenario is unlikely to happen. A blood drive operator would have to willingly wish to discriminate and even then would have to do deep research on if person X has a certain blood type, all before person X arrives at the blood drive. At this point, you might as well claim that the blood type discrimination scenario is pure nitpicking.”
-Ms. Charlotte Schafer, WA Ambassador for the Clevesian Empire
IC Name: The Clevesian Empire
Capital: New Cleves
Leader: Empress Anne of Cleves III
Failed WA Proposals: “Repeal: Comfortable Pillows for All Protocol”
IC WA Ambassador: Ms. Charlotte Schafer
“Give me a proposal, I’ll give you some criticism.”
[RIP Technoblade]

User avatar
Hulldom
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1053
Founded: Nov 16, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hulldom » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:12 am

“No support without a replacement.”
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Vice Delegate and Minister of Foreign Affairs, The North Pacific

Where could we go, we who had come from nowhere and thus could not return?

User avatar
Magecastle Embassy Building A5
Envoy
 
Posts: 218
Founded: Jul 03, 2022
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Magecastle Embassy Building A5 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:15 pm

The next day, the Duke again went to the World Assembly Headquarters first thing after starting work. He turned on the recordings of the latest feedback provided by ambassadors, addressed the microphone at the desk, and replied to each of the comments by ambassadors _

West Barack and East Obama wrote:Dr Justin Obama, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs: Support for repeal and not replace, and I certainly don't support a repeal based on the grounds. For example, the interpretation in the second item of your list is certainly bad faith and won't ever happen. I could deconstruct the rest but I have better things to do, like file my toenails. Maybe when I get the energy to care I will send a counter campaign against this tripe.

Anne of Cleves in TNP wrote:“I agree with Dr. Obama that the second item of the list that such a scenario is unlikely to happen. A blood drive operator would have to willingly wish to discriminate and even then would have to do deep research on if person X has a certain blood type, all before person X arrives at the blood drive. At this point, you might as well claim that the blood type discrimination scenario is pure nitpicking.”
-Ms. Charlotte Schafer, WA Ambassador for the Clevesian Empire

"Understood. The second line has been removed."

Hulldom wrote:“No support without a replacement.”

"There is a replacement in drafting by the Democratic Stellar Union. This will not be submitted until that replacement is fully drafted and ready to be submitted too."
Last edited by Magecastle Embassy Building A5 on Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
Old Hope wrote:There's always the other possibility. Abolishing Honest Mistake and let the people find out the failures and/or lies on their own. Easy, reduces oversight, and has no credible downsides.


lol

Wallenburg wrote:If you get a Nobel Prize for the time machine because you wanted to win an argument on the Internet, try to remember the little people who started you on that way.

User avatar
Simone Republic
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 135
Founded: Jul 09, 2019
Anarchy

Postby Simone Republic » Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:45 am

Hulldom wrote:“No support without a replacement.”


Concur. To requote my comment on the proposed replacement:

OOC: the US FDA only rescinded the vCJD related blood donor ban on anyone who lived in the UK between 1980-1996 (and a similar ban on Europeans donating blood) in May of this year, and Australia only in April of this year. Some countries still have this ban.

I think we should accommodate blood / tissue etc donation bans in the event another new disease emerges that cannot be detected through tests.
Please note for WA resolutions I answer as if IRL and OOC. (He/Him/It)

User avatar
The Ice States
Envoy
 
Posts: 247
Founded: Jun 23, 2022
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby The Ice States » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:54 pm

Bump.
For Klyprer, Conquest, And Riches!


Population: 60,264,000. Ice Calendar year: 1416.

User avatar
West Barack and East Obama
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 409
Founded: Apr 20, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:58 pm

Dr Justin Obama, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs: A shameful proposal. The perplexed clause is in fact perplexing us, as it merely states people may be prohibited. There is no mandate there, so repealing this resolution will not make a difference. The target resolution does not cause a shortage in blood donations.

Also, a nation in need of donations for medical purposes would not reasonably interpret unsafe as you have done. It can easily be interpreted as unsafe for people if used in a donation, but if diseased blood is screened for research purposes and there is no risk to the health of researchers then it is not 'unsafe'.
Official Account for the West Barack and East Obama Foreign Affairs Taskforce. Usually controlled by Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Dr Justin Obama, with additional contributions where stated.

Ruled by His Royal Highness, Most Venerable, His Most Serene Presence (among others) President Barack Horatio Obama of the Obama Dynasty.

First team to play in the ODI World Trophy with a legally blind player #progressive

Only team to not be defeated by HUElavia in IAC 16

For some reason has a whole department dedicated to commenting on WA proposals despite not being part of it. (Wrote GAR#622 and SCR#418)

Allies: Lozho
Enemies: Anyone who dissents against us
she/her

Proud Esportivan and Sonnelian

im problematic :/

Not actually an Obama fan in real life

User avatar
Magecastle Embassy Building A5
Envoy
 
Posts: 218
Founded: Jul 03, 2022
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Magecastle Embassy Building A5 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:17 pm

West Barack and East Obama wrote:Dr Justin Obama, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs: A shameful proposal. The perplexed clause is in fact perplexing us, as it merely states people may be prohibited. There is no mandate there, so repealing this resolution will not make a difference. The target resolution does not cause a shortage in blood donations.

"Besides the fact that it seems to misunderstand how blood donation works, it allows member nations to do something bad," replies the Duke, "and stands in the way of legislation to prevent them from doing that, as the replacement does."

Also, a nation in need of donations for medical purposes would not reasonably interpret unsafe as you have done. It can easily be interpreted as unsafe for people if used in a donation, but if diseased blood is screened for research purposes and there is no risk to the health of researchers then it is not 'unsafe'.

"This is not true. First, this is not about the rare case where blood donated for research on a disease is urgent. This is about hindering research in general, regardless of whether that research is actually urgent. Second, that is not what the word unsafe means. Unsafe just means -- since apparently this isn't self-evident -- not safe, which in turn just means that something is unable to cause harm. Blood carrying an illness very much has the ability to transmit that illness -- in research where it'd be used responsibly it isn't particularly likely a scenario, but it is able to happen, and so it is 'unsafe'."

As the Duke grows a smirk on his face, he says, "I suppose if it comes to it, your non-member nation's singular vote will defeat this. I do hope it doesn't come to that."
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
Old Hope wrote:There's always the other possibility. Abolishing Honest Mistake and let the people find out the failures and/or lies on their own. Easy, reduces oversight, and has no credible downsides.


lol

Wallenburg wrote:If you get a Nobel Prize for the time machine because you wanted to win an argument on the Internet, try to remember the little people who started you on that way.

User avatar
West Barack and East Obama
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 409
Founded: Apr 20, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:37 pm

Dr Justin Obama, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs: Just because your nation is foolish enough to employ such tortured interpretations of words does not mean that everyone else does. To assert that the World Assembly nations would self sabotage themselves this way is ludicrous.

Also, underestimating our nation will certainly bring about dire consequences for your future here. Watch your tongue, unless you are deliberately trying to provoke our wrath.
Official Account for the West Barack and East Obama Foreign Affairs Taskforce. Usually controlled by Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Dr Justin Obama, with additional contributions where stated.

Ruled by His Royal Highness, Most Venerable, His Most Serene Presence (among others) President Barack Horatio Obama of the Obama Dynasty.

First team to play in the ODI World Trophy with a legally blind player #progressive

Only team to not be defeated by HUElavia in IAC 16

For some reason has a whole department dedicated to commenting on WA proposals despite not being part of it. (Wrote GAR#622 and SCR#418)

Allies: Lozho
Enemies: Anyone who dissents against us
she/her

Proud Esportivan and Sonnelian

im problematic :/

Not actually an Obama fan in real life

User avatar
Magecastle Embassy Building A5
Envoy
 
Posts: 218
Founded: Jul 03, 2022
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Magecastle Embassy Building A5 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:39 pm

West Barack and East Obama wrote:Dr Justin Obama, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs: Just because your nation is foolish enough to employ such tortured interpretations of words does not mean that everyone else does. To assert that the World Assembly nations would self sabotage themselves this way is ludicrous.

Also, underestimating our nation will certainly bring about dire consequences for your future here. Watch your tongue, unless you are deliberately trying to provoke our wrath.

Ic: "The interpretation taken by the repeal is the most natural and it's the most obvious way to read the clause in question. It may be possible to define unsafe the way you are, but I'd imagine you'd have to go digging hard for a dictionary that supports you. Er, not one made by some state-sponsored Obaman company."

Ooc: I usually find dictionary-wank to be obnoxious, but here I cannot find one colourable definition that isn't "able to cause harm" or something that means the same thing.
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
Old Hope wrote:There's always the other possibility. Abolishing Honest Mistake and let the people find out the failures and/or lies on their own. Easy, reduces oversight, and has no credible downsides.


lol

Wallenburg wrote:If you get a Nobel Prize for the time machine because you wanted to win an argument on the Internet, try to remember the little people who started you on that way.

User avatar
West Barack and East Obama
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 409
Founded: Apr 20, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:57 pm

OOC: A blood donation with type B antigens is "able to cause harm" to people with type A blood. If you are arguing that this blood is 'unsafe', then that means the target resolution bans all blood donations. Well, it doesn't, so your reading of 'unsafe' is plainly unreasonable and so is your argument.
Official Account for the West Barack and East Obama Foreign Affairs Taskforce. Usually controlled by Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Dr Justin Obama, with additional contributions where stated.

Ruled by His Royal Highness, Most Venerable, His Most Serene Presence (among others) President Barack Horatio Obama of the Obama Dynasty.

First team to play in the ODI World Trophy with a legally blind player #progressive

Only team to not be defeated by HUElavia in IAC 16

For some reason has a whole department dedicated to commenting on WA proposals despite not being part of it. (Wrote GAR#622 and SCR#418)

Allies: Lozho
Enemies: Anyone who dissents against us
she/her

Proud Esportivan and Sonnelian

im problematic :/

Not actually an Obama fan in real life

User avatar
Magecastle Embassy Building A5
Envoy
 
Posts: 218
Founded: Jul 03, 2022
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Magecastle Embassy Building A5 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:29 pm

West Barack and East Obama wrote:OOC: A blood donation with type B antigens is "able to cause harm" to people with type A blood. If you are arguing that this blood is 'unsafe', then that means the target resolution bans all blood donations. Well, it doesn't, so your reading of 'unsafe' is plainly unreasonable and so is your argument.

Ooc: You aren't going to get AHTR from, say, a needlestick injury. To get an immune reaction, it has to be a (relatively) substantial amount of blood, which would almost always require the deliberate administration of blood. Type B blood is not necessarily able to cause harm in itself -- however, administrating type B blood to someone with type A blood absolutely can cause harm -- cf blood carrying, say, hepatitis B, which can absolutely cause the disease to be transmitted even just upon eg contact with a wound or a needle injury. "Unsafe" in the target applies to the blood, not its use.
Last edited by Magecastle Embassy Building A5 on Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
Old Hope wrote:There's always the other possibility. Abolishing Honest Mistake and let the people find out the failures and/or lies on their own. Easy, reduces oversight, and has no credible downsides.


lol

Wallenburg wrote:If you get a Nobel Prize for the time machine because you wanted to win an argument on the Internet, try to remember the little people who started you on that way.

User avatar
West Barack and East Obama
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 409
Founded: Apr 20, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:09 pm

Magecastle Embassy Building A5 wrote:
West Barack and East Obama wrote:OOC: A blood donation with type B antigens is "able to cause harm" to people with type A blood. If you are arguing that this blood is 'unsafe', then that means the target resolution bans all blood donations. Well, it doesn't, so your reading of 'unsafe' is plainly unreasonable and so is your argument.

Ooc: You aren't going to get AHTR from, say, a needlestick injury. To get an immune reaction, it has to be a (relatively) substantial amount of blood, which would almost always require the deliberate administration of blood. Type B blood is not necessarily able to cause harm in itself -- however, administrating type B blood to someone with type A blood absolutely can cause harm -- cf blood carrying, say, hepatitis B, which can absolutely cause the disease to be transmitted even just upon eg contact with a wound or a needle injury. "Unsafe" in the target applies to the blood, not its use.

OOC: That's how you interpret it. It is not unreasonable for every other nation to view 'diseased blood stored and transported securely' as safe, especially since defining 'safe' as 'doesnt harm you if you touch it with an open wound' is how you have done it.

Insisting on retaining this incredibly weak argument will only serve to defeat your proposal.
Official Account for the West Barack and East Obama Foreign Affairs Taskforce. Usually controlled by Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Dr Justin Obama, with additional contributions where stated.

Ruled by His Royal Highness, Most Venerable, His Most Serene Presence (among others) President Barack Horatio Obama of the Obama Dynasty.

First team to play in the ODI World Trophy with a legally blind player #progressive

Only team to not be defeated by HUElavia in IAC 16

For some reason has a whole department dedicated to commenting on WA proposals despite not being part of it. (Wrote GAR#622 and SCR#418)

Allies: Lozho
Enemies: Anyone who dissents against us
she/her

Proud Esportivan and Sonnelian

im problematic :/

Not actually an Obama fan in real life

User avatar
Magecastle Embassy Building A5
Envoy
 
Posts: 218
Founded: Jul 03, 2022
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Magecastle Embassy Building A5 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:47 pm

West Barack and East Obama wrote:
Magecastle Embassy Building A5 wrote:Ooc: You aren't going to get AHTR from, say, a needlestick injury. To get an immune reaction, it has to be a (relatively) substantial amount of blood, which would almost always require the deliberate administration of blood. Type B blood is not necessarily able to cause harm in itself -- however, administrating type B blood to someone with type A blood absolutely can cause harm -- cf blood carrying, say, hepatitis B, which can absolutely cause the disease to be transmitted even just upon eg contact with a wound or a needle injury. "Unsafe" in the target applies to the blood, not its use.

OOC: That's how you interpret it. It is not unreasonable for every other nation to view 'diseased blood stored and transported securely' as safe, especially since defining 'safe' as 'doesnt harm you if you touch it with an open wound' is how you have done it.

Insisting on retaining this incredibly weak argument will only serve to defeat your proposal.

"Once again, disembodied voice, 'unsafe' applies to the blood, not how it is used or stored or transported. Blood carrying HIV does indeed inherently have the potential to cause harm."

"Furthermore, the resolution is criminalising knowing donation of unsafe blood, not the existence or use of unsafe blood. Even if we accept your premise that blood ceases to be unsafe if stored properly, it was still unsafe upon its donation, and its donation, no matter for what purpose, is therefore still criminalised by the resolution."
Last edited by Magecastle Embassy Building A5 on Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
Old Hope wrote:There's always the other possibility. Abolishing Honest Mistake and let the people find out the failures and/or lies on their own. Easy, reduces oversight, and has no credible downsides.


lol

Wallenburg wrote:If you get a Nobel Prize for the time machine because you wanted to win an argument on the Internet, try to remember the little people who started you on that way.

User avatar
West Barack and East Obama
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 409
Founded: Apr 20, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:56 pm

Magecastle Embassy Building A5 wrote:
West Barack and East Obama wrote:OOC: That's how you interpret it. It is not unreasonable for every other nation to view 'diseased blood stored and transported securely' as safe, especially since defining 'safe' as 'doesnt harm you if you touch it with an open wound' is how you have done it.

Insisting on retaining this incredibly weak argument will only serve to defeat your proposal.

"Once again, disembodied voice, 'unsafe' applies to the blood, not how it is used or stored or transported. Blood carrying HIV does indeed inherently have the potential to cause harm."


OOC: Replying to my IC comment OOC, then replying to OOC using IC and then calling me a disembodied voice really takes the cake. I have no idea why I'm wasting my time debating with someone clearly acting in bad faith. All blood has the potential to cause harm. Your reading of 'unsafe' is unreasonable and only done to pad out an already weak argument for repeal. I would like to hear a second opinion (from a member of GenSec) but I don't think the scenario which you describe in the proposal is completely unavoidable.

Anyways, I'm done replying to you and any of your other posts. Consider yourself on my foe list. Have a day.
Last edited by West Barack and East Obama on Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Official Account for the West Barack and East Obama Foreign Affairs Taskforce. Usually controlled by Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Dr Justin Obama, with additional contributions where stated.

Ruled by His Royal Highness, Most Venerable, His Most Serene Presence (among others) President Barack Horatio Obama of the Obama Dynasty.

First team to play in the ODI World Trophy with a legally blind player #progressive

Only team to not be defeated by HUElavia in IAC 16

For some reason has a whole department dedicated to commenting on WA proposals despite not being part of it. (Wrote GAR#622 and SCR#418)

Allies: Lozho
Enemies: Anyone who dissents against us
she/her

Proud Esportivan and Sonnelian

im problematic :/

Not actually an Obama fan in real life

User avatar
Magecastle Embassy Building A5
Envoy
 
Posts: 218
Founded: Jul 03, 2022
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Magecastle Embassy Building A5 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:46 pm

West Barack and East Obama wrote:
Magecastle Embassy Building A5 wrote:"Once again, disembodied voice, 'unsafe' applies to the blood, not how it is used or stored or transported. Blood carrying HIV does indeed inherently have the potential to cause harm."


OOC: Replying to my IC comment OOC, then replying to OOC using IC and then calling me a disembodied voice really takes the cake. I have no idea why I'm wasting my time debating with someone clearly acting in bad faith. All blood has the potential to cause harm. Your reading of 'unsafe' is unreasonable and only done to pad out an already weak argument for repeal. I would like to hear a second opinion (from a member of GenSec) but I don't think the scenario which you describe in the proposal is completely unavoidable.

Anyways, I'm done replying to you and any of your other posts. Consider yourself on my foe list. Have a day.

Ooc: You know, originally I was intending on discontinuing this back-and-forth, but actually I'll be giving a down-to-earth reply, even though I don't expect you to read this. You are entitled to your opinion, and it is well within your right to oppose this draft and/or its arguments. However, the hostility is completely unnecessary.

I also didn't even reply to your Ic post Ooc. I replied to your Ic post Ic, and only went Ooc to support my Ic statement with real-world facts -- not as a direct reply to your post. It was, in fact, you who replied to my Ic comment Ooc.

As to replying to a "disembodied voice", that is a well-attested, in character mode of replying to a post for which there is no definite Ic character to reply to -- for example, if someone has not developed an ambassador character, or to reply to an Ooc post. Maybe I should have kept that post Ooc, but in no way is it an Ooc attack or jab.
Last edited by Magecastle Embassy Building A5 on Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
Old Hope wrote:There's always the other possibility. Abolishing Honest Mistake and let the people find out the failures and/or lies on their own. Easy, reduces oversight, and has no credible downsides.


lol

Wallenburg wrote:If you get a Nobel Prize for the time machine because you wanted to win an argument on the Internet, try to remember the little people who started you on that way.

User avatar
Magecastle Embassy Building A5
Envoy
 
Posts: 218
Founded: Jul 03, 2022
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Magecastle Embassy Building A5 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:06 pm

Bump.
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
Old Hope wrote:There's always the other possibility. Abolishing Honest Mistake and let the people find out the failures and/or lies on their own. Easy, reduces oversight, and has no credible downsides.


lol

Wallenburg wrote:If you get a Nobel Prize for the time machine because you wanted to win an argument on the Internet, try to remember the little people who started you on that way.

User avatar
West Barack and East Obama
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 409
Founded: Apr 20, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:07 am

OOC: Couldn’t care about the rest of the proposal, but if this is submitted in its current form I will challenge it for honest mistake violations.

Donation of diseased blood solely for research is not effectively banned. As you demonstrated yourself earlier, the definition of unsafe is malleable enough that you jumped from interpreting it as "able to cause harm" to "able to cause harm if it drops onto an open wound". I do not believe in the slightest that nations are unable in any circumstance to interpret unsafe in a way that doesn’t ban the donation of blood (handled safely) for research. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but surely defining safe blood as blood that’s contained safely that it won’t harm the people handling it is not too far fetched and "bad faith" as an interpretation?

Also, even if everything you’ve said is true, donation of diseased blood is not effectively banned. For example, blood from a person who has sickle cell anaemia and no other disease is as safe as any other blood to anybody who touches it or has it transfused into their body. Yet, it is diseased, and according to your resolution it is banned. That is not true in the slightest.
Official Account for the West Barack and East Obama Foreign Affairs Taskforce. Usually controlled by Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Dr Justin Obama, with additional contributions where stated.

Ruled by His Royal Highness, Most Venerable, His Most Serene Presence (among others) President Barack Horatio Obama of the Obama Dynasty.

First team to play in the ODI World Trophy with a legally blind player #progressive

Only team to not be defeated by HUElavia in IAC 16

For some reason has a whole department dedicated to commenting on WA proposals despite not being part of it. (Wrote GAR#622 and SCR#418)

Allies: Lozho
Enemies: Anyone who dissents against us
she/her

Proud Esportivan and Sonnelian

im problematic :/

Not actually an Obama fan in real life

User avatar
Magecastle Embassy Building A5
Envoy
 
Posts: 218
Founded: Jul 03, 2022
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Magecastle Embassy Building A5 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:32 pm

West Barack and East Obama wrote:OOC: Couldn’t care about the rest of the proposal, but if this is submitted in its current form I will challenge it for honest mistake violations.

Donation of diseased blood solely for research is not effectively banned. As you demonstrated yourself earlier, the definition of unsafe is malleable enough that you jumped from interpreting it as "able to cause harm" to "able to cause harm if it drops onto an open wound".

Ooc: You are misrepresenting my views. I brought up blood coming in to contact with an open wound -- as well as a needlestick injury scenario -- to make the point that Type B blood is not able to cause harm in itself to those with Type A blood -- its administration does. The target's "unsafe" qualifier is applying to "blood", not how it is used.

I do not believe in the slightest that nations are unable in any circumstance to interpret unsafe in a way that doesn’t ban the donation of blood (handled safely) for research. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but surely defining safe blood as blood that’s contained safely that it won’t harm the people handling it is not too far fetched and "bad faith" as an interpretation?

Its storage and use may be safe. The blood may not. Further, the wording "knowingly attempt to donate unsafe blood" -- which is what is being criminalised -- implies that "unsafe" applies at the moment of donation. Even if we accept your premise that blood ceases to be unsafe if it is used safely after donation, it still would have been unsafe on the moment of donation -- even at the donation clinic, there's a possibility of -- for example -- a needlestick injury.

Care to share how you are interpreting "unsafe" that blood carrying HIV is safe even just upon donation?

Also, even if everything you’ve said is true, donation of diseased blood is not effectively banned. For example, blood from a person who has sickle cell anaemia and no other disease is as safe as any other blood to anybody who touches it or has it transfused into their body. Yet, it is diseased, and according to your resolution it is banned. That is not true in the slightest.

This is a fair point. Done.
Last edited by Magecastle Embassy Building A5 on Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
Old Hope wrote:There's always the other possibility. Abolishing Honest Mistake and let the people find out the failures and/or lies on their own. Easy, reduces oversight, and has no credible downsides.


lol

Wallenburg wrote:If you get a Nobel Prize for the time machine because you wanted to win an argument on the Internet, try to remember the little people who started you on that way.

User avatar
Magecastle Embassy Building A5
Envoy
 
Posts: 218
Founded: Jul 03, 2022
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Magecastle Embassy Building A5 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:20 pm

Since I forgot to mention this, this has been submitted for a test run here.
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
Old Hope wrote:There's always the other possibility. Abolishing Honest Mistake and let the people find out the failures and/or lies on their own. Easy, reduces oversight, and has no credible downsides.


lol

Wallenburg wrote:If you get a Nobel Prize for the time machine because you wanted to win an argument on the Internet, try to remember the little people who started you on that way.

User avatar
West Barack and East Obama
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 409
Founded: Apr 20, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:05 pm

Magecastle Embassy Building A5 wrote:The target's "unsafe" qualifier is applying to "blood", not how it is used.


According to who? Your dictionaries don't say that at all. This is simply your interpretation. Other nations are perfectly capable of reading it differently.

Its storage and use may be safe. The blood may not. Further, the wording "knowingly attempt to donate unsafe blood" -- which is what is being criminalised -- implies that "unsafe" applies at the moment of donation. Even if we accept your premise that blood ceases to be unsafe if it is used safely after donation, it still would have been unsafe on the moment of donation -- even at the donation clinic, there's a possibility of -- for example -- a needlestick injury.


Of course there's a possibility. It is impossible to ensure 0% chance of anything. But if you take measures and precautions to make this possibility negligible, then it should be safe. The donation of blood such that the possibility of a needlestick injury is close to none will make it safe.
Official Account for the West Barack and East Obama Foreign Affairs Taskforce. Usually controlled by Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Dr Justin Obama, with additional contributions where stated.

Ruled by His Royal Highness, Most Venerable, His Most Serene Presence (among others) President Barack Horatio Obama of the Obama Dynasty.

First team to play in the ODI World Trophy with a legally blind player #progressive

Only team to not be defeated by HUElavia in IAC 16

For some reason has a whole department dedicated to commenting on WA proposals despite not being part of it. (Wrote GAR#622 and SCR#418)

Allies: Lozho
Enemies: Anyone who dissents against us
she/her

Proud Esportivan and Sonnelian

im problematic :/

Not actually an Obama fan in real life

User avatar
Magecastle Embassy Building A5
Envoy
 
Posts: 218
Founded: Jul 03, 2022
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Magecastle Embassy Building A5 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:13 pm

West Barack and East Obama wrote:
Magecastle Embassy Building A5 wrote:The target's "unsafe" qualifier is applying to "blood", not how it is used.


According to who? Your dictionaries don't say that at all. This is simply your interpretation. Other nations are perfectly capable of reading it differently.

Ooc: let me stop you right there. The relevant part of the resolution specifically refers to "unsafe blood". The adjective "unsafe" is attached specifically to the word "blood". If the resolution said "blood stored or used unsafely", I would agree with you.
Last edited by Magecastle Embassy Building A5 on Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
Old Hope wrote:There's always the other possibility. Abolishing Honest Mistake and let the people find out the failures and/or lies on their own. Easy, reduces oversight, and has no credible downsides.


lol

Wallenburg wrote:If you get a Nobel Prize for the time machine because you wanted to win an argument on the Internet, try to remember the little people who started you on that way.

User avatar
West Barack and East Obama
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 409
Founded: Apr 20, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:19 pm

Magecastle Embassy Building A5 wrote:
West Barack and East Obama wrote:
According to who? Your dictionaries don't say that at all. This is simply your interpretation. Other nations are perfectly capable of reading it differently.

Ooc: let me stop you right there. The relevant part of the resolution specifically refers to "unsafe blood". It The adjective "unsafe" is attached specifically to the word "blood". If the resolution said "blood stored or used unsafely", I would agree with you.

Right, but blood that is stored and used correctly isn't unsafe even if it is "inherently" unsafe. So the blood is safe, even if it would otherwise be unsafe if it wasn't stored correctly.
Official Account for the West Barack and East Obama Foreign Affairs Taskforce. Usually controlled by Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Dr Justin Obama, with additional contributions where stated.

Ruled by His Royal Highness, Most Venerable, His Most Serene Presence (among others) President Barack Horatio Obama of the Obama Dynasty.

First team to play in the ODI World Trophy with a legally blind player #progressive

Only team to not be defeated by HUElavia in IAC 16

For some reason has a whole department dedicated to commenting on WA proposals despite not being part of it. (Wrote GAR#622 and SCR#418)

Allies: Lozho
Enemies: Anyone who dissents against us
she/her

Proud Esportivan and Sonnelian

im problematic :/

Not actually an Obama fan in real life

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Attempted Socialism

Advertisement

Remove ads