NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Where My Hose At?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Atlantic Isles
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 02, 2022
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

[SUBMITTED] Where My Hose At?

Postby Atlantic Isles » Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:14 pm

Draft 1
Draft 1:

Description: Over 75% of firefighters in @@NAME@@ are volunteers, and a recent study has revealed that many volunteer fire departments are struggling to obtain necessary equipment. Left with no other options, some volunteer stations are being forced to close their doors, explaining a recent increase in fire deaths in @@NAME@@.

Validity: All

Option 1: @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Chief of @@CAPITAL@@ Fire Department, walks into your office followed by a small entourage of other high ranking officers from the fire department, wearing an impeccable dress uniform with an array of shiny, expensive looking medals and awards on @@HIS@@ chest. “You know,” @@HE@@ says, “we wouldn’t have this problem if we nationalized the fire service, rather than leaving it to the towns, cities, and counties. And who could be a better choice to lead the new @@NAME@@ Fire Service than the chief of the @@CAPITAL@@ Fire Department?”

Effect 1: The new national fire service is a highly sought-after position for politicians.

Option 2: “Nonsense!” gasps your Treasury Secretary, @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@HE@@ fiddles with a gold-plated fire helmet. “We can’t afford that! And even if we could, we ought to be spending less, not more! I say we leave it to the cities and counties to pay their firefighters. The government ought to simply keep its nose out of this, since we can’t spend the money to research and address the unique needs of each community.”

Effect 2: Small-town fire departments close their doors due to a lack of funding while those in larger cities thrive.

Option 3: “That doesn’t even go far enough! My taxes shouldn’t have to go toward funding a service that I’ll never need!” Rants infamous conspiracy theorist @@RANDOMNAME@@, who nobody invited. “Just because my idiot neighbor’s house is on fire because they play with matches doesn’t mean I should pay for it! Just mandate that every citizen have a fire extinguisher or two on hand, and let evolution handle the rest!” @@HE@@ screams as security drags him from the building.

Effect 3: Fire extinguisher manufacturing is at an all-time high but entire blocks sometimes go up in flames when nobody’s home to use their extinguishers.

Option 4: “Though I find @@HIS@@ method a bit extreme, I do have to agree with @@HIM@@ on one point- kicking it to the towns just doesn’t work!” Exclaims the mayor of @@ANIMAL@@ville, a small town in rural @@NAME@@, looking a little paler than usual. “My town simply can’t afford to fully fund a fire department, but with a population of 10,000, we absolutely need one! We’re getting by alright for now, but our main fire engine is nearing the end of its lifespan, and we can’t afford another. @@LEADER@@, I’m imploring you to please create a grant program to fund equipment purchases for small volunteer departments like ours. Equipment is expensive, not just trucks, but air packs, bunker coats and pants, helmets, and tools are all very costly, and pancake breakfasts and bingo nights just won’t do it!”

Effect 4: Volunteer fire departments often receive top-of-the-line equipment outclassed only by that of the very wealthiest cities in @@NAME@@.

Draft 2
Draft 2:

Description: Over 75% of firefighters in @@NAME@@ are volunteers, and a recent study has revealed that many volunteer fire departments are struggling to obtain necessary equipment. Left with no other options, some volunteer stations are being forced to close their doors, explaining a recent increase in fire deaths in @@NAME@@.

Option 1: @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Chief of @@CAPITAL@@ Fire Department, walks into your office followed by a small entourage of other high ranking officers from the fire department, wearing an impeccable dress uniform with an array of shiny, expensive looking medals and awards on @@HIS@@ chest. “You know,” @@HE@@ says, “we wouldn’t have this problem if we nationalized the fire service, rather than leaving it to the towns, cities, and counties. And who could be a better choice to lead the new @@NAME@@ Fire Service than the chief of the @@CAPITAL@@ Fire Department?”

Effect 1: The new national fire service is a highly sought-after position for politicians.

Option 2: “Nonsense!” gasps your Treasury Secretary, @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@HE@@ fiddles with a gold-plated fire helmet. “We can’t afford that! And even if we could, we ought to be spending less, not more! I say we leave it to the cities and counties to pay their firefighters. The government ought to simply keep its nose out of this, since we can’t spend the money to research and address the unique needs of each community. The communities should handle that themselves! But firefighters ought to be paid.”

Effect 2: A new government mandate that all firefighters be paid by their local government means that the @@ANIMAL@@ville Fire Department consists of one person with a bike and a fire extinguisher.

Option 3: “That doesn’t even go far enough! My taxes shouldn’t have to go toward funding a service that I’ll never need!” Rants infamous conspiracy theorist @@RANDOMNAME@@, who nobody invited. “Just because my idiot neighbor’s house is on fire because they play with matches doesn’t mean I should pay for it! Just mandate that every citizen have a fire extinguisher or two on hand, and let evolution handle the rest!” @@HE@@ screams as security drags him from the building.

Effect 3: Fire extinguisher manufacturing is at an all-time high but entire blocks sometimes go up in flames when nobody’s home to use their extinguishers.

Option 4: “Though I find @@HIS@@ method a bit extreme, I do have to agree with @@HIM@@ on one point- kicking it to the towns just doesn’t work!” Exclaims the mayor of @@ANIMAL@@ville, a small town in rural @@NAME@@, looking a little paler than usual. “My town simply can’t afford to fully fund a fire department, but with a population of 10,000, we absolutely need one! We’re getting by alright for now, but our main fire engine is nearing the end of its lifespan, and we can’t afford another. @@LEADER@@, I’m imploring you to please create a grant program to fund equipment purchases for small volunteer departments like ours. Equipment is expensive, not just trucks, but air packs, bunker coats and pants, helmets, and tools are all very costly, and pancake breakfasts and bingo nights just won’t do it!”

Effect 4: Volunteer fire departments often stage rap battles to decide who gets grant money for equipment.

Option 5: “Maybe there’s another way!” interjects the CEO of fire truck manufacturer Hosenbower International, joined by a representative from the @@DEMONYM@@ Fire Apparatus Manufacturing Association who nods enthusiastically, and the Vice President of E-TWO, another fire apparatus manufacturer, who appears to be sweating profusely and shakes his head slightly as you glance at him. “Perhaps the national government doesn’t need to handle firefighters’ wages, and full-time career departments can pay for their own equipment, but equipment grants aren’t guaranteed to every department. We, the @@DEMONYM@@ Fire Apparatus Manufacturing Association, believe that the government should foot the bill for equipment purchases and maintenance.” The E-TWO representative shakes his head again and shoots you a panicked glance before turning back to stare holes into his shoes while the union representative quickly leans down to try to pick up a pamphlet entitled “Cornering the Market For Dummies”.

Effect 5: Volunteer fire departments exchange their equipment annually just as they do with their smartphones at the expense of the taxpayer.

Draft 3:
Draft 3:
Description: Volunteer fire departments across @@NAME@@ have long suffered from funding shortages, which in turn have caused lengthy response times and increased losses of life and property. A recent fire in @@ANIMAL@@ Beach, a small town on the rural @@DEMONYM@@ Coast, ripped through several homes as a result of the closure of the local fire house as a result of funding shortages, and citizens are now calling on the government to make a change.

Option 1: @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Chief of @@CAPITAL@@ Fire Department, walks into your office with an array of shiny, expensive looking medals and awards on @@HIS@@ chest. “You know,” @@HE@@ says, “we wouldn’t have this problem if we nationalized the fire service, rather than leaving it to the towns, cities, and counties. That would standardize our command structures, our tactics, pretty much everything! We could even standardize our trucks so everyone would know where to find every tool on every truck. And who could be a better choice to lead the new @@NAME@@ Fire Service than the chief of the @@CAPITAL@@ Fire Department?”

Effect 1: firefighters in urban and rural areas alike complain about how their equipment isn’t suited to their region

Option 2: “Nonsense!” gasps your Treasury Secretary, @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@HE@@ fiddles with a gold-plated fire helmet. “We can’t afford that! And even if we could, we ought to be spending less, not more! I say we leave it to the cities and counties to pay their firefighters. The government ought to simply keep its nose out of this, since we can’t spend the money to research and address the unique needs of each community. The communities should handle that themselves! But firefighters ought to be paid.”

Effect 2: a new mandate that all firefighters be paid by their local government means that fire departments sometimes consist of one person with a bike and a fire extinguisher

Effect 3: fire extinguisher manufacturing is at an all-time high but entire blocks sometimes go up in flames when nobody’s home to use their extinguishers

Effect 4: Volunteer fire departments often stage rap battles to decide who gets grant money for equipment.

Option 5: “Maybe there’s another way!” interjects the CEO of fire truck manufacturer Hosenbower International. “Perhaps the national government doesn’t need to handle firefighters’ wages, and full-time career departments can pay for their own equipment, but equipment grants aren’t guaranteed to every department. Perhaps the government ought to pay for all operational expenses incurred by volunteer fire companies. ”

Effect 5: volunteer fire departments submit purchase reports for a large amount of “miscellaneous equipment”

Draft 4:
Description: Volunteer fire departments across @@NAME@@ have long suffered from funding shortages, which in turn have caused lengthy response times and increased losses of life and property. This point was recently brought into the public eye by a recent deadly fire in the small coastal village of @@ANIMAL@@ Beach just days after their fire department was forced to close its doors for good.

Option 1: @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Chief of @@CAPITAL@@ Fire Department, walks into your office with an array of shiny, expensive looking medals and awards on @@HIS@@ chest. “You know,” @@HE@@ says, “we wouldn’t have this problem if we nationalized the fire service, rather than leaving it to the towns, cities, and counties. That would standardize our command structures, our tactics, pretty much everything! We could even standardize our trucks so everyone would know where to find every tool on every truck. And who could be a better choice to lead the new @@NAME@@ Fire Service than the chief of the @@CAPITAL@@ Fire Department?”

Effect 1: rural firefighters wonder why they need 100-foot ladder trucks

Option 2: “Nonsense!” gasps your Treasury Secretary, @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@HE@@ fiddles with a thermal camera. “We can’t afford that! And even if we could, we ought to be spending less, not more! I say we leave it to the cities and counties to handle fire protection. The government ought to simply keep its nose out of this, since we can’t spend the money to research and address the unique needs of each community. The communities should handle that themselves!”

Effect 2: fire services in less-affluent communities maintain their equipment with “permanently temporary” repairs

Option 3: “That doesn’t even go far enough! My taxes shouldn’t have to go toward funding a service that I’ll never need!” Rants internet-famous pyrophobe @@RANDOMNAME@@, who nobody invited. “If everyone else put as much effort as I do into fire prevention, we wouldn’t need a fire service! Why should I pay for their laziness?“ @@HE@@ screams as security drags @@HIM@@ from the building.

Effect 3: for-profit fire protection services thrive across @@NAME@@

Option 4: “Maybe there’s another way!” interjects the CEO of fire truck manufacturer Hosenbower International. “Perhaps the national government doesn’t need to handle firefighters’ wages, and full-time career departments can pay for their own equipment, but equipment grants aren’t guaranteed to every department. Perhaps the government ought to pay for all operational expenses incurred by volunteer fire companies. ”

Effect 4: volunteer fire departments submit purchase reports for a large amount of “miscellaneous equipment”

Description: Volunteer fire departments across @@NAME@@ have long suffered from funding shortages, which in turn have caused lengthy response times and increased losses of life and property. This point was recently brought into the public eye by a deadly fire in the small coastal village of @@ANIMAL@@ Beach just days after their fire department was forced to close its doors for good.

Option 1a - Validity: Nations not using the metric system: @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Chief of @@CAPITAL@@ Fire Department, walks into your office with an array of shiny, expensive looking medals and awards on @@HIS@@ chest. “You know,” @@HE@@ says, “we wouldn’t have this problem if we nationalized the fire service, rather than leaving it to the towns, cities, and counties. That would standardize our command structures, our tactics, pretty much everything! We could even standardize our trucks so everyone would know where to find every tool on every truck. And who could be a better choice to lead the new @@NAME@@ Fire Service than the chief of the @@CAPITAL@@ Fire Department?”

Effect 1a: rural firefighters wonder why they need 100-foot ladder trucks

Option 1b - Validity: Nations using the metric system: @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Chief of @@CAPITAL@@ Fire Department, walks into your office with an array of shiny, expensive looking medals and awards on @@HIS@@ chest. “You know,” @@HE@@ says, “we wouldn’t have this problem if we nationalized the fire service, rather than leaving it to the towns, cities, and counties. That would standardize our command structures, our tactics, pretty much everything! We could even standardize our trucks so everyone would know where to find every tool on every truck. And who could be a better choice to lead the new @@NAME@@ Fire Service than the chief of the @@CAPITAL@@ Fire Department?”

Effect 1b: rural firefighters wonder why they need 30-meter ladder trucks

Option 2: “Nonsense!” gasps your Treasury Secretary, @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@HE@@ fiddles with a thermal camera. “We can’t afford that! And even if we could, we ought to be spending less, not more! I say we leave it to the cities and counties to handle fire protection. The government ought to simply keep its nose out of this, since we can’t spend the money to research and address the unique needs of each community. The communities should handle that themselves!”

Effect 2: fire services in less-affluent communities maintain their equipment with “permanently temporary” repairs

Option 3a - Validity: Internet not outlawed: “That doesn’t even go far enough! My taxes shouldn’t have to go toward funding a service that I’ll never need!” Rants internet-famous pyrophobe @@RANDOMNAME@@, who nobody invited. “If everyone else put as much effort as I do into fire prevention, we wouldn’t need a fire service! Why should I pay for their laziness?“ @@HE@@ screams as security drags @@HIM@@ from the building.

Effect 3a: for-profit fire protection services thrive across @@NAME@@

Option 3b - Validity: Internet outlawed: “That doesn’t even go far enough! My taxes shouldn’t have to go toward funding a service that I’ll never need!” Rants famous radio talk show host and known pyrophobe @@RANDOMNAME@@, who nobody invited. “If everyone else put as much effort as I do into fire prevention, we wouldn’t need a fire service! Why should I pay for their laziness?“ @@HE@@ screams as security drags @@HIM@@ from the building.

Effect 3b: for-profit fire protection services thrive across @@NAME@@

Option 4: “Maybe there’s another way!” interjects the CEO of fire truck manufacturer Hosenbower International. “Perhaps the national government doesn’t need to handle firefighters’ wages, and full-time career departments can pay for their own equipment, but equipment grants aren’t guaranteed to every department. Maybe the government ought to pay for all operational expenses incurred by volunteer fire companies. ”

Effect 4: volunteer fire departments submit purchase reports for a large amount of “miscellaneous equipment”
Last edited by Atlantic Isles on Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:15 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Dexterra
Minister

Founded: May 05, 2021
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dexterra » Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:29 pm

The title seems similar to that of issue 1441, although maybe similar titles are acceptable to some degree? At least, your draft and that issue seem unique from each other, albeit (in a good way) fraternal.

If you are interested in a more unique title, I suggest something like 'Firefight or Flight,' 'Burnt Out' or 'Ladder Zero,' but if I come up with anything else I will edit it here. Anyway, hope that's of some use!

Edit: new title is way funnier than anything I suggested - excellent work my man
Last edited by Dexterra on Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix (attributed)

Atlantic Isles
Spokesperson

Postby Atlantic Isles » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:04 pm

Dexterra wrote:The title seems similar to that of issue 1441, although maybe similar titles are acceptable to some degree? At least, your draft and that issue seem unique from each other, albeit (in a good way) fraternal.

If you are interested in a more unique title, I suggest something like 'Firefight or Flight,' 'Burnt Out' or 'Ladder Zero,' but if I come up with anything else I will edit it here. Anyway, hope that's of some use!

Agreed, that title is way too close for comfort. Thanks for the suggestions!

Atlantic Isles
Spokesperson

Postby Atlantic Isles » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:49 am

Title changed from “(Don’t) Burn Baby Burn” to “Where My Hose At?”

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:53 am

The new title definitely caught my eye when I logged into the forum. :lol:
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:27 am

Why wouldn't the national government be funding fire equipment? Even if they are volunteer departments
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Atlantic Isles
Spokesperson

Postby Atlantic Isles » Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:52 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Why wouldn't the national government be funding fire equipment? Even if they are volunteer departments

I’ll preface what I’m about to say with this: I’m writing this issue as an American, and though it may be a different situation in other nations, this is what I know, and I suspect we’re not the only ones to operate this way.

Here in the USA, fire and EMS grants are available through the federal government. However, “AFG grants are not guaranteed to every station, and many grants are denied” according to https://www.fireandemsfund.com/fire-dep ... it-doesnt/. Many fire services have to find alternate means of funding beyond local and state funds if their grant is denied, and plenty of stations (especially nowadays) are stuck using old equipment. Some don’t even have enough turnout gear to go around for all of their members. All of this is to say that yes, federal funding is available, but it’s not available to everyone.

Atlantic Isles
Spokesperson

Postby Atlantic Isles » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:45 pm

Draft 2 is up now. Looking for feedback on Options and Effects 2 and 5.

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:20 pm

Why hello there, firefighting issue. Do I like these? Yes – I like these.

The challenges of balancing the needs of volunteer, professional, and combination departments is fertile soil, and I certainly think we can get an issue out of it here. I've been working on a draft on my desktop about a different aspect of volunteer departments (on the use of courtesy lights for POVs), so I'm definitely into seeing other folks get in the mix.

- For the description, I'd drop some of the extra background baggage (75%.... recent study…) and focus on the big challenge: many volunteer fire departments are facing funding gaps, resulting in longer responses, closures, and increased losses to life and property. Make a neat, clean, succinct declaration on that, and I think that's worth Leader's attention.

- For dialogue tags and speaker descriptions, keep them tight and funny. The meat of the option should be the argument being presented. The speaker shouldn't just say something should be done, but rather should provide Leader with one or more reasons why it should be done. In option 1, for example, having the local white-hat walk in with shiny medals is fine. Proposing nationalization makes sense. Have the chief explain how this option will benefit the nation before asking to be put in charge, otherwise it just sounds like a power grab and there's no reason for a player to choose it. You can cut out the entourage and impeccable uniform and replace it with some arguments for the benefits of standardization and national service, or whatever else you feel suitable here.

- Effect lines aren't sentences – they'll appear as part of a list with commas, on the player's nation page. They shouldn't be capitalized, nor should they end in periods. No punctuation at all is usually best.

- I love the Hosenbower parody name. Keep that one! E-TWO is solid as well, though that dialogue tag is extremely long and confusing. In addition to having dialogue tags take up less space, it's also best in 95% of scenarios to use only a single tag in any given option. Keep the content as, well, content.

Keep at this – it's a good topic.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:22 pm

Title is golden. I already love this.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Atlantic Isles
Spokesperson

Postby Atlantic Isles » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:26 am

Verdant Haven wrote:Why hello there, firefighting issue. Do I like these? Yes – I like these.

The challenges of balancing the needs of volunteer, professional, and combination departments is fertile soil, and I certainly think we can get an issue out of it here. I've been working on a draft on my desktop about a different aspect of volunteer departments (on the use of courtesy lights for POVs), so I'm definitely into seeing other folks get in the mix.

- For the description, I'd drop some of the extra background baggage (75%.... recent study…) and focus on the big challenge: many volunteer fire departments are facing funding gaps, resulting in longer responses, closures, and increased losses to life and property. Make a neat, clean, succinct declaration on that, and I think that's worth Leader's attention.

- For dialogue tags and speaker descriptions, keep them tight and funny. The meat of the option should be the argument being presented. The speaker shouldn't just say something should be done, but rather should provide Leader with one or more reasons why it should be done. In option 1, for example, having the local white-hat walk in with shiny medals is fine. Proposing nationalization makes sense. Have the chief explain how this option will benefit the nation before asking to be put in charge, otherwise it just sounds like a power grab and there's no reason for a player to choose it. You can cut out the entourage and impeccable uniform and replace it with some arguments for the benefits of standardization and national service, or whatever else you feel suitable here.

- Effect lines aren't sentences – they'll appear as part of a list with commas, on the player's nation page. They shouldn't be capitalized, nor should they end in periods. No punctuation at all is usually best.

- I love the Hosenbower parody name. Keep that one! E-TWO is solid as well, though that dialogue tag is extremely long and confusing. In addition to having dialogue tags take up less space, it's also best in 95% of scenarios to use only a single tag in any given option. Keep the content as, well, content.

Keep at this – it's a good topic.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate all the advice, I’ll definitely try to work it all into the next draft. Looking forward to seeing the courtesy lights issue as well, that seems like it’ll be interesting.

Atlantic Isles
Spokesperson

Postby Atlantic Isles » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:42 pm

Fear not! This issue is still a work in progress. Draft 3 is up and I’m hoping for feedback! I know some things probably don’t make sense right now, and I’m working on addressing those for my next iteration, but please still point them out in case I’m missing something really funky. Draft 3 was mostly paring down and trimming off a lot of unnecessary junk, so I’m hoping to make some more substantial changes to the content with this next iteration, and definitely moving some characters around.

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:39 pm

Glad to see the new draft up.

Description

1) "ripped through several homes as a result of the closure of the local fire house as a result of funding shortages" duplicates the use of the "as a result of" construction, and yields a rather convoluted sentence.

2) "and citizens are now calling on the government to make a change" doesn't really add to our understanding of the scenario, so we can drop that element.

One possible solution for the above would be to adjust the second sentence of the description as follows:

"This plight has been brought into sharp relief by the small coastal town of @@ANIMAL@@ Beach, where a deadly fire struck mere days after their local firehouse was forced to close."

(Feel free to edit or adjust however you see fit – that's just my own once-over for how I might present it).

Options

I would look at limiting this down to 3 options: one for nationalization, one for supporting local departments, and the one crazy one about not paying for anything and just having citizens deal with it. While the other options introduce nuance and some additional real-world proposals, people who aren't firefighters or fire buffs themselves (ie, most players) probably won't be too interested in the difference between providing operational funding support vs providing equipment grants. All of that can be lumped under "provide governmental support to locals." Looking at specific options:

Option 1 is improved – I would keep this as one of the options.

Option 2 is probably untenable – forcing communities to pay their dept. members, when entire depts are already shuttering from lack of funding, doesn't really feel it's addressing the dilemma presented.

Option 3 is a good base for the somewhat outlandish option. A "Those people in @@ANIMAL@@ Beach just didn't plan properly! Why should I pay for their lack of preparedness" sort of approach.

Option 4 and 5 I would combine. If the government offers equipment grants, purchase support for apparatus, underwriting of operational expenses, etc, I think that could go together as a reasonable pitch for helping keep the lights on in local communities, without simply assuming central control.

Effects

I suspect the effect lines are one of the places you're still working on paring down, but if not, consider doing so. The lines should be relatively short and snappy, without capitalization or periods, and should avoid excessive literalness. For the first one, for example, to capture that idea in a more succinct package I might write "wilderness firefighters wonder why they need 30 meter ladders". Similar shortening and humor might pay off for the others as well.

Wallowis
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 09, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Wallowis » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:41 pm

Wouldn't fire departments already be nationalised under Socialist countries? Shouldn't that have some sort of validity?
All NS stats except for population related stats canon. Nation does represent my real life views always.*
*not Welfare.
My Politics
Wallowis now the head of Cylis Treaty and Arbitration Organisation. ULIBOR disbanded by Wallowis. Wallowis passes act of permanent neutrality. Survey shows people disinterested in global politics. Wallowis on the fence over entry into World Assembly. Economy stagnating, economists warn.
Hispida wrote:english is a rather tough language. you can learn it through tough thorough thought, though.

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:28 pm

Wallowis wrote:Wouldn't fire departments already be nationalised under Socialist countries? Shouldn't that have some sort of validity?

Not necessarily. A socialist economy doesn't mean the national government controls everything - local jurisdictions can still control local services, and volunteer departments still exist. Similarly a nation being capitalist doesn't mean the fire service is private/for profit. For-profit fire service is extremely uncommon, even in major industrialized capitalist countries.
Last edited by Verdant Haven on Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Atlantic Isles
Spokesperson

Postby Atlantic Isles » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:52 pm

Draft 4 is up, and I’m hoping Draft 5 (maybe 6) will be the last one. I’ve scrapped one option and reworked option 2 (though if it should be removed all together even in its current state, I’m open to that). Option 4 (formerly option 5) will be reworked to include aspects of option 5, and effect lines 2 and 4 will be trimmed down. Other than that, I think this is pretty much ready to roll.

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:04 pm

This is largely continuing to go the right direction, so I'm going to back off a bit and just point out a couple points for consideration as you polish it up.

A couple unnecessary validity challenges have arisen:

Effect 1: some nations require the metric system, so be careful about using imperial

Option 3: some nations outlaw the internet, or even computers as a whole. Being "internet famous" doesn't work for those.

In general, be careful about repeating the same word or phrase multiple times too close together. Examples include the description's "recently brought/recent deadly" and Option 4's "Perhaps the national government/Perhaps the government."

Atlantic Isles
Spokesperson

Postby Atlantic Isles » Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:30 am

Verdant Haven wrote:This is largely continuing to go the right direction, so I'm going to back off a bit and just point out a couple points for consideration as you polish it up.

A couple unnecessary validity challenges have arisen:

Effect 1: some nations require the metric system, so be careful about using imperial

Option 3: some nations outlaw the internet, or even computers as a whole. Being "internet famous" doesn't work for those.

In general, be careful about repeating the same word or phrase multiple times too close together. Examples include the description's "recently brought/recent deadly" and Option 4's "Perhaps the national government/Perhaps the government."

I see. Is there a validity option for only an effect line or would I need to duplicate the question and have metric/non-metric effects that way?

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:14 am

Atlantic Isles wrote:I see. Is there a validity option for only an effect line or would I need to duplicate the question and have metric/non-metric effects that way?

The entire option and all of its associated parts would need to be a doppelganger.

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Candensia » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:41 pm

Title is doubleplusgood.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Atlantic Isles
Spokesperson

Postby Atlantic Isles » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:01 pm

Crap, stepped away from the game for a few months and forgot to finish this! I’ll get to it this week!

Atlantic Isles
Spokesperson

Postby Atlantic Isles » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:14 pm

Ok! Draft 5 is up, and I'm looking for feedback!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?