NATION

PASSWORD

[OOC | TWI ONLY] The CCIB Thread

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
San Jimenez
Envoy

Founded: Aug 27, 2016
New York Times Democracy

[OOC | TWI ONLY] The CCIB Thread

Postby San Jimenez » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:42 pm

OOC Thread for The CCIB

Mission Statement:
The Catholic Conference of Isles Bishops (CCIB) was founded in ---- with the purpose of unifying Catholic dioceses from various regions of The Western Isles. The Bishops' Assembly is comprised of bishops from each member diocese.

Together, the CCIB...
  • Evangelizes and promotes the beliefs of the Catholic Church, founded by Jesus Christ, in union with the Holy See.
  • Promotes Catholic policies in national legislatures.
  • Promotes peace, cooperation, and goodwill among nations on the global stage.
  • Organizes and promotes various initiatives aimed at improving the devotion and understanding of catechism for Catholics.
  • Conducts charitable missions to numerous countries and communities.
  • Creates an understanding of cultural differences among Catholics everywhere.

Generally speaking, parts of the CCIB were based on the mission and structure of both the USCCB and the former NCWC. The intent of this organization is not for the overpowering of individual dioceses in The Western Isles, but to allow more influence and organization for the Catholic Church in the region as a whole.

If you wish to be part of this organization, you may express your intent to join in this forum, the regional Discord, the RMB, or you can telegram San Jimenez.

Please do not post on this forum unless you are a member of The Western Isles and are on the TWI map.
......... ☨ The Republic of San Jimenez ☨ .........
...| Overview | Archive | Telegram |...
Proud to be a nation of The Western Isles.

San Jimenez
Envoy

New York Times Democracy

Postby San Jimenez » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:03 pm

Subjects to Answer Moving Forward:

#1 Number of Bishops in the Assembly
Basically, how many bishops is each nation permitted? Will we base the number of bishops each nation can have in the CCIB on the amount of Catholics in each nation or will we have a specified number of bishops a nation can have representing it? Once this is figured out, we can submit our representatives in the organization!

#2 Do nations need to have a Catholic majority to join?
I understand that Catholic majority countries might be interested in joining but will the CCIB also allow bishops from non-Catholic majority countries? Will the CCIB exclude dioceses from non-Catholic majority countries or will we allow bishops from countries no matter the size of the Catholic population?

#3 How many times should the Bishops' Assembly meet?
This question is pretty self-explanatory. (Note that the USCCB meets annually twice a year.)

#4 Where will the Bishops' Assembly meet?
Will we have a rotating headquarters of cities selected by member nations or will we have a permanent seat? Will we have a third option that includes both aspects?

#5 What kind of commissions should the CCIB have? (this question can wait if needed)
What issues or topics are of concern to the CCIB that require a commission to be created? For example, a commission on education, evangelization, telecommunications...

More questions may come up, but these are some of the big ones previously mentioned. Feel free to answer by number and ask any additional questions you may have!

Townside
Attaché

Founded: Oct 23, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Townside » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:39 pm

I cannot contribute much to this discussion since Townisde only has the one Catholic bishop. However, my two cents is that given that this is a non-governmental organisation based on the participation of diocese rather than countries, I would tend against limiting the number of bishops each country can send to a specified number, and instead allow countries to send as many of their Catholic bishops as they want. Realistically, the number of diocese a country would have should correspond to the amount of Catholics in their nation, so perhaps this is just a roundabout way of saying that the number of bishops each nation can have in the CCIB will be based on the amount of Catholics in each nation.

I am biased in this regard because Townisde is not a Catholic-majority country. However, I think CCIB should not exclude diocese from non-Catholic majority countries and allow bishops from countries regardless of the size of the Catholic population. I base this on the premise of the factbook, which states that "Together, the CCIB evangelizes and promotes the beliefs of the Catholic Church, founded by Jesus Christ, in union with the Holy See; Promotes Catholic policies in national legislatures; Promotes peace, cooperation, and goodwill among nations on the global stage; Organizes and promotes various initiatives aimed at improving the devotion and understanding of catechism for Catholics; Conducts charitable missions to numerous countries and communities; Creates an understanding of cultural differences among Catholics everywhere."

Given these goals, I think allowing Catholic bishops from all over the Isles, even from non-Catholic majority countries, would most benefit the aims of the CCIB. For example, if CCIB policies are implemented only in Catholic-majority countries, it would interfere with the goal of promoting the Catholic Church Isle-wide.

When there's a real life example, I'm not creative. I say CCIB should do as USCCB does and meet annually twice a year. I think this is a good balance - it's more than once a year, but CCIB members would not have to do a post (eg news, maybe even RPs) more than twice a year, rather than more often. However, CCIB can maybe meet more often if required, eg by "emergency" meetings, if there is a significant news event that the CCIB sould respond to.

Because I am indecisive, I say a third option that includes both aspects. If the CCIB is to meet twice a year, one meeting can be at a permanent seat, and the other can be at a rotating headquarters selected by member bishops.

#5 What kind of commissions should the CCIB have? (this question can wait if needed)
I see from the CCIB factbook that it already has commissions for education and international cooperation. I think the CCIB should have commissions for healthcare and welfare as well. I think education, healthcare, and welfare are things churches always seem to be involved in.
Member of the The Western Isles.

Ivolshok
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 08, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Ivolshok » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:04 pm

Hello, the small Catholic Community in Ivolshok wishes to join the CCIB.

History of Catholicism in Ivolshok
Following the passage of Magellan through the isles, missionaries has traveled through Ivolshok converting natives from Hintuwan and Native faiths, only further reinforced by decades of colonialism. Following the establishment of its independence and the establishment of communism in the state lead to a full ban on religious practices and the persecution of religious people. This was the status of Roman Catholicism for 22 years, an underground sect. Following the "Restructuring" in 1984 freedom of religion would be allowed. The first census to feature the question of religion (1990) found about 5% of people, some one million people were Roman Catholics (90% of all Christians in the country). Since then this figure has remained relatively steady with 1.3 million in 2022.

Despite the nominal freedom enjoyed, they are stilled persecuted as frequent agitators against the government, whose religious stances put them at odds with the government on numerous issues. This will place the CCIB and the Ivolshuk Government at odds which I think could be interesting.

Church Organization
Archdiocese of Korodsk (Archbishop Vian Irill)
--- Diocese of Volgopol (Bishop Jaron Yulian)
--- Diocese of Pechny (Bishop Natsim Abelya)

Questions of the CCIB
* Number of Bishops in the Assembly - As desired by the sending nations, I concur with Tonwside's arguments on this matter
* Do nations need to have a Catholic majority to join? - No, as should be obvious by my desire to join, the spirit of Catholicism calls for the universality of the church, all who follow Christ and his representatives on earth should be welcomed. As well the best place to do good for Christ is where he is most embattled.
* How many times should the Bishops' Assembly meet? - Biyearly works for me, both IC and OOC
* Where will the Bishops' Assembly meet? - I like Townside's idea, San Jimenez as the meeting point once a year (Seeing as you have both the largest catholic population [Slightly beating out Solaryia] and have spearheaded this effort), and each member in turn for the other.

San Jimenez
Envoy

New York Times Democracy

Postby San Jimenez » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:05 pm

Ivolshok wrote:Hello, the small Catholic Community in Ivolshok wishes to join the CCIB.

Added you to the main factbook, welcome!

Ivolshok wrote:As desired by the sending nations, I concur with Tonwside's arguments on this matter.

Townside wrote:I cannot contribute much to this discussion since Townisde only has the one Catholic bishop. However, my two cents is that given that this is a non-governmental organisation based on the participation of diocese rather than countries, I would tend against limiting the number of bishops each country can send to a specified number, and instead allow countries to send as many of their Catholic bishops as they want. Realistically, the number of diocese a country would have should correspond to the amount of Catholics in their nation, so perhaps this is just a roundabout way of saying that the number of bishops each nation can have in the CCIB will be based on the amount of Catholics in each nation.

I think that'd be a good way to go. In theory, that would be correct. I suppose that if we get to a situation where the number of bishops does not accurately reflect the amount of Catholics in a country then we can go forward from there but at the moment I don't think it's a problem.

Ivolshok wrote:I understand that Catholic majority countries might be interested in joining but will the CCIB also allow bishops from non-Catholic majority countries? Will the CCIB exclude dioceses from non-Catholic majority countries or will we allow bishops from countries no matter the size of the Catholic population?

Townside wrote:I am biased in this regard because Townisde is not a Catholic-majority country. However, I think CCIB should not exclude diocese from non-Catholic majority countries and allow bishops from countries regardless of the size of the Catholic population. I base this on the premise of the factbook, which states that "Together, the CCIB evangelizes and promotes the beliefs of the Catholic Church, founded by Jesus Christ, in union with the Holy See; Promotes Catholic policies in national legislatures; Promotes peace, cooperation, and goodwill among nations on the global stage; Organizes and promotes various initiatives aimed at improving the devotion and understanding of catechism for Catholics; Conducts charitable missions to numerous countries and communities; Creates an understanding of cultural differences among Catholics everywhere."

Excellent questions and points were brought up. I think you both are right that denying membership to non-majority Catholic countries would disadvantage those Catholics who live in such countries. Perhaps the CCIB even has a special focus on evangelistic efforts in these member countries. I agree that moving forward we remain open to non-majority Catholic membership.

Ivolshok wrote:Biyearly works for me, both IC and OOC

Townside wrote:When there's a real life example, I'm not creative. I say CCIB should do as USCCB does and meet annually twice a year. I think this is a good balance - it's more than once a year, but CCIB members would not have to do a post (eg news, maybe even RPs) more than twice a year, rather than more often. However, CCIB can maybe meet more often if required, eg by "emergency" meetings, if there is a significant news event that the CCIB sould respond to.

I do like having two. Perhaps one in January and one in June? Emergency meetings would be in rare circumstances, mostly if the Church in a particular country was being directly threatened. Or if political agendas on the international level, contrary to Church interest, were being pursued.

Ivolshok wrote:I like Townside's idea, San Jimenez as the meeting point once a year (Seeing as you have both the largest catholic population [Slightly beating out Solaryia] and have spearheaded this effort), and each member in turn for the other.

Townside wrote:Because I am indecisive, I say a third option that includes both aspects. If the CCIB is to meet twice a year, one meeting can be at a permanent seat, and the other can be at a rotating headquarters selected by member bishops.

I think that would work well. I would be open to hosting a headquarters in Del Agua City. I really love Townside's idea! Having one permanent seat and then another one that rotates. If we'll be having two annual meetings, we might as well take the opportunity to implement that headquarter compromise.

Townside wrote:I see from the CCIB factbook that it already has commissions for education and international cooperation. I think the CCIB should have commissions for healthcare and welfare as well. I think education, healthcare, and welfare are things churches always seem to be involved in.

Love the idea! I'll write something up and add those into the main factbook. Most of our dioceses most likely have our own operations in healthcare so the commission would most likely be solely investing resources into the ongoing operations of the dioceses.

Return to NationStates