NATION

PASSWORD

ISSUE IDEA: Too Cool For School

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

ISSUE IDEA: Too Cool For School

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:50 pm

[title] Too cool for school

[desc] An expose into the nation's public schools has determined that most of them are lacking in temperature control measures (i.e. air conditioning and heaters), leading people to worry about the health and safety of the school children and teachers alike

[validity] must have public schools

[option] "I can fix this @@LEADER!@@" states temperature control technician @@RANDOMNAME@@, inspecting the thermostat in your office ""Me and the boys can put some aircon and heaters in all the schools in the country. For a small price, of course!"
[effect] half of the national budget for schools is spent on heating and air conditioning

[option] "Kids these days!" complains old crank @@RANOMMALENAME@@, who goes to the window to yell at a cloud, and returns when the cloud disappears from view. "When I was a kid, I had to walk to school, up hill, barefoot in the snow in winter and the blistering heat in summer! And we didn't have no temperature control! And you know why I did it? Because I wanted an education! Kids these days are spoilt! It’s not good enough for them to have an education, they have to have temperature control too! Let the ingrates get a lesson in realism!"
[effect] air conditioning and heating technology which didn't exist 50 years ago is considered too good for school children

[option] "I know what to do!" suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@ your minister of creative solutions, carrying an ice pack with @@HIM@@, "Why don't we just cut our losses with the heating, and let kids go to school in summer instead of winter? After all, with all the doors and windows open in the classrooms, it'll be easier to keep the classrooms cool in summer without air-conditioning than warm in winter without heat. And with global warming, we won't need heating in the future either way"
[effect] death from heat stroke is considered superior to death from hypothermia

[title] Too cool for school

[desc] An expose into the nation's public schools has determined that most of them are lacking air conditioners and heaters, leading people to worry about the health and safety of the school children and teachers alike

[validity] must have public schools

[option] "I can fix this @@LEADER!@@" states air conditioning installer @@RANDOMNAME@@, inspecting the air-conditioner in your office ""Me and the boys can put some aircon and heaters in all the schools in the country. For a small price, of course!"
[effect] half of the national budget for schools is spent on heating and air conditioning

[option] "Kids these days!" complains old crank @@RANOMMALENAME@@, who goes to the window to yell at a cloud, and returns when the cloud disappears from view. "When I was a kid, I had to walk to school, up hill, barefoot in the snow in winter and the blistering heat in summer! And we didn't have no aircon or no heater! And you know why I did it? Because I wanted an education! Kids these days are spoilt! It’s not good enough for them to have an education, they have to have air con and heaters too! Let the ingrates get a lesson in realism!"
[effect] air conditioning and heating technology which didn't exist 50 years ago is considered too good for school children

[option] "I know what to do!" suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@ your minister of creative solutions, carrying an ice pack with @@HIM@@, "Why don't we just cut our losses with the heating, and let kids go to school in summer instead of winter? After all, with all the doors and windows open in the classrooms, it'll be easier to keep the classrooms cool in summer than warm in winter. And with global warming, we won't need heating either way"
[effect] death from heat stroke is considered superior to death from hypothermia
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sign the Petition: https://www.change.org/p/the-australian ... anny-state
From Greek Ancestry Orthodox Christian
18 Published Issues and 1 WA Resolution
In-Character posts made by this fictious account do not reflect the actions of any real world government

Trotterdam
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:26 am

Why is this specifically a problem in schools, more than any other public (or private) building?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:32 am

Trotterdam wrote:Why is this specifically a problem in schools, more than any other public (or private) building?

Schools tend to get the butt-end of everything. Them and nursing homes. Basically, anyone who is less likely to complain, which is usually children and those in nursing homes. I went to a private school, and we didn't even have air con in all our classrooms. Same reason why schools have shitty lunches in the USA or why nursing homes in Australia have shitty food- children and those in nursing homes less likely to complain or do anything about it. Too many pot holes in the road- voters complain. No air con in government buildings- voters complain. No air con in schools or nursing homes- no one complains. Then you get prisons, but prisons are a different kettle of fish beyond the scope of this issue. Private buildings are their own entity and not the responsibility of government
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
In-Character posts made by this fictious account do not reflect the actions of any real world government

Trotterdam
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:00 pm

Children complain, they just don't know how to complain in triplicate to the proper bureaucrats who might actually listen to them :)

But, point taken.

West Barack and East Obama
Envoy

Founded: Apr 20, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:21 am

I think the issue becomes confusing saying heaters and air conditioning all the time. I think focusing on one aspect would be better, or going for more vague terms such as 'poor ventilation/temperature control' if you want to make it general and apply to cold and hot nations
Official Account for the West Barack and East Obama Foreign Affairs Taskforce. Usually controlled by Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Dr Justin Obama, with additional contributions where stated.

Ruled by His Royal Highness, Most Venerable, His Most Serene Presence (among others) President Barack Horatio Obama of the Obama Dynasty.

First team to play in the ODI World Trophy with a legally blind player #progressive

Only team to not be defeated by HUElavia in IAC 16

For some reason has a whole department dedicated to commenting on WA proposals despite not being part of it.

Allies: Lozho
Enemies: Anyone who dissents against us

she/her

Proud Esportivan and Forestian

im problematic :/

Not actually an Obama fan in real life

West Barack and East Obama
Envoy

Founded: Apr 20, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:21 am

I think the issue becomes confusing saying heaters and air conditioning all the time. I think focusing on one aspect would be better, or going for more vague terms such as 'poor ventilation/temperature control' if you want to make it general and apply to cold and hot nations
Official Account for the West Barack and East Obama Foreign Affairs Taskforce. Usually controlled by Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Dr Justin Obama, with additional contributions where stated.

Ruled by His Royal Highness, Most Venerable, His Most Serene Presence (among others) President Barack Horatio Obama of the Obama Dynasty.

First team to play in the ODI World Trophy with a legally blind player #progressive

Only team to not be defeated by HUElavia in IAC 16

For some reason has a whole department dedicated to commenting on WA proposals despite not being part of it.

Allies: Lozho
Enemies: Anyone who dissents against us

she/her

Proud Esportivan and Forestian

im problematic :/

Not actually an Obama fan in real life

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:43 am

West Barack and East Obama wrote:I think the issue becomes confusing saying heaters and air conditioning all the time. I think focusing on one aspect would be better, or going for more vague terms such as 'poor ventilation/temperature control' if you want to make it general and apply to cold and hot nations

Cheers. I'll fix that now

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?