NATION

PASSWORD

SUBMITTED: Too Cool For School

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

SUBMITTED: Too Cool For School

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:50 pm

[title] Too cool for school

[desc] A group of disgruntled school students from all across the nation, lead by your nephew have marched into your office demanding more funding for air conditioning, cooling, and other climate control measures in the nation’s public school

[validity] must have public schools

[option] "I can fix this @@LEADER!@@" states temperature control technician @@RANDOMNAME@@, inspecting the thermostat in your office ""Me and the boys can put some aircon and heaters in all the schools in the country. For a small price, of course!"
[effect] half of the national budget for schools is spent on heating and air conditioning

[option] "Kids these days!" complains old crank @@RANOMMALENAME@@, who goes to the window to yell at a cloud, and returns when the cloud disappears from view. "When I was a kid, I had to walk to school, up hill, barefoot in the snow in winter and the blistering heat in summer! And we didn't have no temperature control! And you know why I did it? Because I wanted an education! Kids these days are spoilt! It’s not good enough for them to have an education, they have to have temperature control too! Let the ingrates get a lesson in realism!"
[effect] air conditioning and heating technology which didn't exist 50 years ago is considered too good for school children

[option] "I know what to do!" suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@ your minister of creative solutions, carrying an ice pack with @@HIM@@, "Why don't we just cut our losses with the heating, and let kids go to school in summer instead of winter? After all, with all the doors and windows open in the classrooms, it'll be easier to keep the classrooms cool in summer without air-conditioning than warm in winter without heat. And with global warming, we won't need heating in the future either way"
[effect] death from heat stroke is considered superior to death from hypothermia

[option] "But it's easier to keep the kiddies warmer in winter than in summer!" Informs @@RANDOMNAME@@, who install fireplaces! "If we keep school happening in winter, we could just install fireplaces in classrooms! Sure, the cost and time of installing ventilation may outweigh that of centralised heating, but this way the kids can learn how to collect firewood!"
[effect] kids who live in the tropics are bused daily to colder climates for school

[option] "This is all silly!" advises flower child @@RANDOMFEMALEFIRSTNAME@@, who came to your office (please help me find a reason). "Mother nature is the best teacher, my child! Kids should be learning outdoors, where they can get fresh air and accustomed to all climates, and those who live further from the Equator can soak up what little Vitamin D there is during the Midnight Sun! It’s the best option!"
[effect] school children spend more time learning how to protect their books from rain than mathematics

[desc] An expose into the nation's public schools has determined that most of them are lacking in temperature control measures (i.e. air conditioning and heaters), leading people to worry about the health and safety of the school children and teachers alike

[option] "I can fix this @@LEADER!@@" states temperature control technician @@RANDOMNAME@@, inspecting the thermostat in your office ""Me and the boys can put some aircon and heaters in all the schools in the country. For a small price, of course!"
[effect] half of the national budget for schools is spent on heating and air conditioning

[option] "Kids these days!" complains old crank @@RANOMMALENAME@@, who goes to the window to yell at a cloud, and returns when the cloud disappears from view. "When I was a kid, I had to walk to school, up hill, barefoot in the snow in winter and the blistering heat in summer! And we didn't have no temperature control! And you know why I did it? Because I wanted an education! Kids these days are spoilt! It’s not good enough for them to have an education, they have to have temperature control too! Let the ingrates get a lesson in realism!"
[effect] air conditioning and heating technology which didn't exist 50 years ago is considered too good for school children

[option] "I know what to do!" suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@ your minister of creative solutions, carrying an ice pack with @@HIM@@, "Why don't we just cut our losses with the heating, and let kids go to school in summer instead of winter? After all, with all the doors and windows open in the classrooms, it'll be easier to keep the classrooms cool in summer without air-conditioning than warm in winter without heat. And with global warming, we won't need heating in the future either way"
[effect] death from heat stroke is considered superior to death from hypothermia

[desc] An expose into the nation's public schools has determined that most of them are lacking air conditioners and heaters, leading people to worry about the health and safety of the school children and teachers alike

[option] "I can fix this @@LEADER!@@" states air conditioning installer @@RANDOMNAME@@, inspecting the air-conditioner in your office ""Me and the boys can put some aircon and heaters in all the schools in the country. For a small price, of course!"

[option] "Kids these days!" complains old crank @@RANOMMALENAME@@, who goes to the window to yell at a cloud, and returns when the cloud disappears from view. "When I was a kid, I had to walk to school, up hill, barefoot in the snow in winter and the blistering heat in summer! And we didn't have no aircon or no heater! And you know why I did it? Because I wanted an education! Kids these days are spoilt! It’s not good enough for them to have an education, they have to have air con and heaters too! Let the ingrates get a lesson in realism!"

[option] "I know what to do!" suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@ your minister of creative solutions, carrying an ice pack with @@HIM@@, "Why don't we just cut our losses with the heating, and let kids go to school in summer instead of winter? After all, with all the doors and windows open in the classrooms, it'll be easier to keep the classrooms cool in summer than warm in winter. And with global warming, we won't need heating either way"
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:37 am, edited 6 times in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:26 am

Why is this specifically a problem in schools, more than any other public (or private) building?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:32 am

Trotterdam wrote:Why is this specifically a problem in schools, more than any other public (or private) building?

Schools tend to get the butt-end of everything. Them and nursing homes. Basically, anyone who is less likely to complain, which is usually children and those in nursing homes. I went to a private school, and we didn't even have air con in all our classrooms. Same reason why schools have shitty lunches in the USA or why nursing homes in Australia have shitty food- children and those in nursing homes less likely to complain or do anything about it. Too many pot holes in the road- voters complain. No air con in government buildings- voters complain. No air con in schools or nursing homes- no one complains. Then you get prisons, but prisons are a different kettle of fish beyond the scope of this issue. Private buildings are their own entity and not the responsibility of government
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:00 pm

Children complain, they just don't know how to complain in triplicate to the proper bureaucrats who might actually listen to them :)

But, point taken.

West Barack and East Obama
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:21 am

I think the issue becomes confusing saying heaters and air conditioning all the time. I think focusing on one aspect would be better, or going for more vague terms such as 'poor ventilation/temperature control' if you want to make it general and apply to cold and hot nations
Sonnel is the place.

6x Issues Author | Political Figures | Sports Stuff

██████████

West Barack and East Obama
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:21 am

I think the issue becomes confusing saying heaters and air conditioning all the time. I think focusing on one aspect would be better, or going for more vague terms such as 'poor ventilation/temperature control' if you want to make it general and apply to cold and hot nations
Sonnel is the place.

6x Issues Author | Political Figures | Sports Stuff

██████████

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:43 am

West Barack and East Obama wrote:I think the issue becomes confusing saying heaters and air conditioning all the time. I think focusing on one aspect would be better, or going for more vague terms such as 'poor ventilation/temperature control' if you want to make it general and apply to cold and hot nations

Cheers. I'll fix that now

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:27 am

Bump

Huaren Gongsi state
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 23, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Huaren Gongsi state » Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:32 am

Australian rePublic wrote:[title] Too cool for school

[desc] An expose into the nation's public schools has determined that most of them are lacking in temperature control measures (i.e. air conditioning and heaters), leading people to worry about the health and safety of the school children and teachers alike

[desc] An expose into the nation's public schools has determined that most of them are lacking air conditioners and heaters, leading people to worry about the health and safety of the school children and teachers alike

[option] "I can fix this @@LEADER!@@" states air conditioning installer @@RANDOMNAME@@, inspecting the air-conditioner in your office ""Me and the boys can put some aircon and heaters in all the schools in the country. For a small price, of course!"

[option] "Kids these days!" complains old crank @@RANOMMALENAME@@, who goes to the window to yell at a cloud, and returns when the cloud disappears from view. "When I was a kid, I had to walk to school, up hill, barefoot in the snow in winter and the blistering heat in summer! And we didn't have no aircon or no heater! And you know why I did it? Because I wanted an education! Kids these days are spoilt! It’s not good enough for them to have an education, they have to have air con and heaters too! Let the ingrates get a lesson in realism!"

[option] "I know what to do!" suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@ your minister of creative solutions, carrying an ice pack with @@HIM@@, "Why don't we just cut our losses with the heating, and let kids go to school in summer instead of winter? After all, with all the doors and windows open in the classrooms, it'll be easier to keep the classrooms cool in summer than warm in winter. And with global warming, we won't need heating either way"

Being a leader of a country meant that you decide in high-level decision-making and high-level issues are not this specific, if this is an issue at all it is supposed to be handled by a department that handles public education.
95.3 on the International Safety Index, 89.7 on the International Development Index, 78.6 on the International Corruption Index

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:38 am

Huaren Gongsi state wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:[title] Too cool for school

Being a leader of a country meant that you decide in high-level decision-making and high-level issues are not this specific, if this is an issue at all it is supposed to be handled by a department that handles public education.

Yes, I am aware that I usually make this criticism of other authors. Perhaps I need to reexamine how this applies to leader specifically. Thanks
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pennyslov
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 18, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Pennyslov » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:24 am

This Is A Very Bad Issue.
Do Not Post Advice In My Forum Posts!

An Incredible Idea To Ban Vegans/Vegetarians Or Eating Fruits/Vegetables! That Is Proof That Global Warming Is Great!

ONP News Pennyslov: Mayo Gong's Application To Join The Ovan Legislative Was Rejected|Police Officer Is Wrongly Accused Of Veganism And Was Put On Death Row|Ovan Monkey Is Extinct|

Outer Sparta
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Outer Sparta » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:33 am

Pennyslov wrote:This Is A Very Bad Issue.

Care to elaborate more on why? You're not giving very good feedback.
Free Palestine, stop the genocide in Gaza

Pennyslov
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Pennyslov » Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:16 am

Outer Sparta wrote:
Pennyslov wrote:This Is A Very Bad Issue.

Care to elaborate more on why? You're not giving very good feedback.
This Issue Has The Worst Option Ever

An Incredible Idea To Ban Vegans/Vegetarians Or Eating Fruits/Vegetables! That Is Proof That Global Warming Is Great!

ONP News Pennyslov: Mayo Gong's Application To Join The Ovan Legislative Was Rejected|Police Officer Is Wrongly Accused Of Veganism And Was Put On Death Row|Ovan Monkey Is Extinct|

Pennyslov
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Pennyslov » Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:18 am

Australian rePublic wrote:[option] "I know what to do!" suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@ your minister of creative solutions, carrying an ice pack with @@HIM@@, "Why don't we just cut our losses with the heating, and let kids go to school in summer instead of winter? After all, with all the doors and windows open in the classrooms, it'll be easier to keep the classrooms cool in summer than warm in winter. And with global warming, we won't need heating either way"
[effect] death from heat stroke is considered superior to death from hypothermia[/spoiler]
I Mean This One Is The Worst
Last edited by Pennyslov on Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cuba 2022 RP
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 12, 2022
Democratic Socialists

Postby Cuba 2022 RP » Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:21 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
Huaren Gongsi state wrote:

Yes, I am aware that I usually make this criticism of other authors. Perhaps I need to reexamine how this applies to leader specifically. Thanks

Maybe have leader's nephew complaining
Puppet of Wallowis
GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Spanish leader realises France wasn't at war for the past two months as he had previously thought | The United Socialist Provinces of Central America proclaimed after twelve-day war between the Central American Unification Community and El Salvador, Panama, and Costa Rica | American blockade begins to wane as they also start collapsing | Famine in Cuba as China collapses, America refuses to lift embargo | Israel changes vote in favour of Cuba, America officially condemned by every single country for blockade | Cuban protests real now, not just American colour revolution, says Putin

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:10 am

Pennyslov wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:[option] "I know what to do!" suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@ your minister of creative solutions, carrying an ice pack with @@HIM@@, "Why don't we just cut our losses with the heating, and let kids go to school in summer instead of winter? After all, with all the doors and windows open in the classrooms, it'll be easier to keep the classrooms cool in summer than warm in winter. And with global warming, we won't need heating either way"
[effect] death from heat stroke is considered superior to death from hypothermia[/spoiler]
I Mean This One Is The Worst

In what way?

Cuba 2022 RP wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Yes, I am aware that I usually make this criticism of other authors. Perhaps I need to reexamine how this applies to leader specifically. Thanks

Maybe have leader's nephew complaining

I was thinking more from the angel of funding

Cuba 2022 RP
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 12, 2022
Democratic Socialists

Postby Cuba 2022 RP » Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:42 am

Pennyslov wrote: I Mean This One Is The Worst

In what way?

Cuba 2022 RP wrote:Maybe have leader's nephew complaining

I was thinking more from the angel of funding

Still, if you added in anything which had Leader's nephew complaining about the cold and asking for more funding to heating it would immediately fix the issue of what makes this important to leader.
Puppet of Wallowis
GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Spanish leader realises France wasn't at war for the past two months as he had previously thought | The United Socialist Provinces of Central America proclaimed after twelve-day war between the Central American Unification Community and El Salvador, Panama, and Costa Rica | American blockade begins to wane as they also start collapsing | Famine in Cuba as China collapses, America refuses to lift embargo | Israel changes vote in favour of Cuba, America officially condemned by every single country for blockade | Cuban protests real now, not just American colour revolution, says Putin

Pennyslov
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Pennyslov » Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:49 am

Pennyslov wrote: I Mean This One Is The Worst

In what way?
I Mean, Why Would Anyone Want To Go To School In Summer?

ImperialRussia
Ambassador

Founded: May 16, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby ImperialRussia » Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:52 am

Pennyslov wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:In what way?

POV failing grades

Juansonia
Minister

Founded: Apr 01, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Juansonia » Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:59 am

Pennyslov wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:In what way?

Not everywhere is dominated by the current western norms. In fact, Rural America used to have school primarily in the winter and summer, so children would be able to help during the planting and harvest seasons.
Hatsune Miku > British Imperialism
IC: MT if you ignore some stuff(mostly flavor), stats are not canon. Embassy link.
OOC: Owns and (sometimes) wears a maid outfit, wants to pair it with a FN SCAR-L. He/Him/His
Kernen did nothing wrong.
Space Squid wrote:Each sin should get it's own month.

Right now, Pride gets June, and Greed, Envy, and Gluttony have to share Thanksgiving/Black Friday through Christmas, Sloth gets one day in September, and Lust gets one day in February.

It's not equitable at all
Gandoor wrote:Cliché: A mod making a reply that's full of swearing after someone asks if you're allowed to swear on this site.

It makes me chuckle every time it happens.
Brits mistake Miku for their Anthem

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:04 pm

He does kind of have a point.

The second law of thermodynamics says, essentially, that it's easier to heat things up than to cool them down. This is observed in real life by that keeping yourself warm in the cold can be achieved by relatively simple processes such as bundling up in thicker clothing, or lighting some form of heat source (even just an old-fashioned log-burning fireplace), whereas keeping yourself cool in the heat can only be accomplished through fairly complicated air conditioning systems, which, in my experience, are not installed into nearly as many houses as central heating is. (Though if schools are more likely to have proper air conditioning than private houses, then...)

With global warming continuing to raise temperatures, summers are only going to get worse, making "oh, let's just open the windows" even less sufficient as a solution.

Napaqaq
Attaché

Founded: Oct 06, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Napaqaq » Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:07 pm

I think this is a lovely issue :) :clap:
The Inspiration Behind this Nation
My People
Join the Institute of Cellulose!

I’m an independent because both political parties are whining babies. And yes, I’m aware my political views may be contradictory.
Member of NS since 2017! This is my newest main.

Pennyslov
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Pennyslov » Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:10 pm

Napaqaq wrote:I think this is a lovely issue :) :clap:

No No!

Napaqaq
Attaché

Founded: Oct 06, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Napaqaq » Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:13 pm

Pennyslov wrote:
Napaqaq wrote:I think this is a lovely issue :) :clap:

No No!

Well, I do think so. And your objection will not change the fact that I like this lighthearted issue.

I’ve played NS since 2017 and this is my new main.

I think they spent quite some time with this issue and I think it is, indeed, a great proposal for a new issue.

I’ve yet to see you write an issue…
Last edited by Napaqaq on Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Inspiration Behind this Nation
My People
Join the Institute of Cellulose!

I’m an independent because both political parties are whining babies. And yes, I’m aware my political views may be contradictory.
Member of NS since 2017! This is my newest main.

Pennyslov
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Pennyslov » Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:15 pm

Juansonia wrote:
Pennyslov wrote:I Mean, Why Would Anyone Want To Go To School In Summer?

Not everywhere is dominated by the current western norms. In fact, Rural America used to have school primarily in the winter and summer, so children would be able to help during the planting and harvest seasons.
But Now Schools Are Only Closed In Summer

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?