NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Naprapathic New Thinkers Nag Nurses and Nuns

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Vacatio Libertas
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 09, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

[SUBMITTED] Naprapathic New Thinkers Nag Nurses and Nuns

Postby Vacatio Libertas » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:37 pm

Headline: Naprapathic New Thinkers Nag Nurses and Nuns

Validity: Must be a particularly religious nation

Description: After a gang of religious zealots burned down a cupping and coin rubbing clinic for 'waylaying the souls of the sick,' a mass of meditative magnet healers responded by smashing all the stained glass at local church, accusing them of 'taking advantage of desperate families.' As factional violence increases across the nation, temporal authorities are hesitating, uncertain of what stance to take in this spiritual standoff.

Choices:
    [1] "This 'alternative medicine' is a symptom of a moral plague which has been gnawing at the soul of every @@DENONYM@@," explains a solemn priest from a @@FAITH@@ Temple. "This alternative medicine is not simply an alternative to medicine, but an alternate to the faith which has served us well for so long. Our earthly bodies need doctors and medicine, it is true, but our soul needs something more. The government should give more support to religious hospitals, so that we may heal the body as well as the soul."

Result: Patients often wonder which is more annoying: their excruciating pain or their doctor incessantly praying over it.

[2] "We don't need your 'medicine!'" interrupts practicing Chiropractor Karen Ducksworth. "WE ALL KNOW that you priests care more about your donation baskets than you do any REAL faith, and those egghead doctors and their so-called cures have killed more people than any of us havening herbalists and holistic healers ever have!" She breaths a comically heavy sigh. "@@LEADER@@, if you really want your people to be happy and healthy, then the government needs to support alternatives to big pharma and big God!"

Result: A crystal a day keeps the sanity away.

[3] "Mrs. Ducksworth here has a point: isn't the very foundation of our nation's prosperity our ability to make choices?," asks television personality and self-described Doctor Ronny Ozzy as he winks into the camera. "I think it is, so I say that it'd be best for the government to take its hands out of healthcare all together. Freedom starts with the market. Let the people have their herbs and supplements! Let's take this industry out of the hands of big government and back into the hands of my sponso--errr. The people!"

Result: No one has ever lost a @@CURRENCY@@ underestimating the medical knowledge of the @@DENONYM@@ people

Validity: Must not have a planned economy.

[4] "WHAT IN SCIENCE'S NAME IS THIS?" fumes a red-faced Dr. Norm Allen, an impatient public health expert. "We doctors put in time to research, develop, and administer real, scientifically backed cures to the good people of @@NAME@@, and then these quacks get to come along and poison our people with God particle-knows-what? We need more funding for good, public hospitals that don't shove religion down our throats, and we need to crack down on these pseudoscientific swindlers!"

Result: Yoga studios are being converted into yoga labs on an industrial scale.

[5] A dark figure emerges from a shadow and bids you into the blackness. "Oh @@LEADER@@, the mortals speak silly words, and yet more silly are their policies" Reaching into his deceptively large black cloak, he presents you with a bottle of liquid bleach. "The solution is not within is, it is all around us! The universe is but one great mess, a mess which must be cleansed with bleach! Rid this nation of these mortals' delusional cures, and make them drink bleach!"

Result: An enterprising twelve year old in @@NATION@@ might run his own bleach stand.

Choices:

[1] "Look, I'm not here to cause a ruckus, but this whole deal with so-called 'alternative' medicine has gone too far!" fumes a red-faced Dr. Norm Allen, a local physician. "We doctors put in time to research, develop, and administer real, scientifically backed cures to the good people of @@NAME@@, and then these quacks get to come along and poison our people with God-knows-what? We need more funding for good, public hospitals, and we need to crack down on these pseudoscientific swindlers!"

[2] "My kind friend here makes many good points, but I fear that he focuses too much on the flesh," remarks a solemn monk from a Yellow Temple. "Our earthly bodies need doctors and medicine, it is true, but our soul needs something more. This 'alternative medicine' is a symptom of a moral plague which has been gnawing at the soul of every @@@DENONYM@@@. The government should give more support to religious hospitals, so that we may heal the body as well as the soul."

[3] "We don't need your 'medicine!'" interrupts practicing Chiropractor Karen Ducksworth. "You doctors and priests have killed more people with your so-called cures than any of us holistic healers ever have!" She breaths a comically heavy sigh. "@@@LEADER@@@, if you really want your people to be happy and healthy, then the government needs to support alternatives to big pharma!"

[4] "Mrs. Ducksworth here has a point: isn't the very foundation of our nation's prosperity our ability to make choices?," asks businessman Ronald Bateman as he winks into the camera. "I think it is, so I say that it'd be best for the government to take its hands out of healthcare all together. Freedom starts with the market. Let's bring take this decision out of the hands of elites and back into the hands of corpora--errr. The people.

[5] A dark figure emerges from a shadow and bids you into the blackness. "Oh @@@LEADER@@@, the mortals speak silly words, and yet more silly are the policies they advocate." Suddenly, he presents you with a bottle of liquid bleach. "The solution is not within is, it is all around us! The universe is but one great mess, a mess which must be cleansed with bleach! Now drink!"

Description: A recent ragtag coalition of skeptical scientists and zany zealots have recently stormed your office on account of @@NAME@@'s most recent spiritual and scientific panic: alternative medicine.

Choices:
    [1] "This 'alternative medicine' is a symptom of a moral plague which has been gnawing at the soul of every @@@DENONYM@@@," explains a solemn monk from a Yellow Temple. "This alternative medicine is not simply an alternative to medicine, but an alternate to the faith which has served us well for so long. Our earthly bodies need doctors and medicine, it is true, but our soul needs something more. The government should give more support to religious hospitals, so that we may heal the body as well as the soul."

Result: Patients often wonder which is more annoying: their excruciating pain or their doctor's incessant praying over it.

[2] "We don't need your 'medicine!'" interrupts practicing Chiropractor Karen Ducksworth. "WE ALL KNOW that you priests care more about your donation baskets than you do any REAL faith, and those egghead doctors and their so-called cures have killed more people than any of us holistic healers ever have!" She breaths a comically heavy sigh. "@@@LEADER@@@, if you really want your people to be happy and healthy, then the government needs to support alternatives to big pharma and big God!"

Result: A crystal a day keeps the sanity away.

[3] "Mrs. Ducksworth here has a point: isn't the very foundation of our nation's prosperity our ability to make choices?," asks television personality and self-described Doctor Ronald Oz as he winks into the camera. "I think it is, so I say that it'd be best for the government to take its hands out of healthcare all together. Freedom starts with the market. Let the people have their herbs and supplements! Let's bring take this decision out of the hands of elites and back into the hands of my sponso--errr. The people!"

Result: No one has ever lost a @@@CURRENCY@@@ underestimating the medical knowledge of the @@@DENONYM@@@ people

[4] "WHAT IN SCIENCE'S NAME IS THIS?" fumes a red-faced Dr. Norm Allen, an impatient public health expert. "We doctors put in time to research, develop, and administer real, scientifically backed cures to the good people of @@NAME@@, and then these quacks get to come along and poison our people with God particle-knows-what? We need more funding for good, public hospitals that don't shove religion down our throats, and we need to crack down on these pseudoscientific swindlers!"

Result: Yoga studios are being converted into yoga labs on an industrial scale.

[5] A dark figure emerges from a shadow and bids you into the blackness. "Oh @@@LEADER@@@, the mortals speak silly words, and yet more silly are the policies they advocate." Suddenly, he presents you with a bottle of liquid bleach. "The solution is not within is, it is all around us! The universe is but one great mess, a mess which must be cleansed with bleach! Now drink!"

Result: The chemical industry prospers on questionable grounds.
Last edited by Vacatio Libertas on Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:05 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Vacatio Libertas
Civil Servant

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Vacatio Libertas » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:37 am

Feedback would definitely be appreciated. This is my first real attempt at issue writing. A friend of mine pointed out that the theme of the issue is similar to Issue #843, but I think my issue is distinct enough to constitute non-repetition. I would love to hear this forum's thoughts on it though before making an ill-advised submission.

Vavlar
Envoy

Founded: Jan 11, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Vavlar » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:04 am

My feeback is: You did excellent :clap:

Soveiniesberg
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 17, 2021
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Soveiniesberg » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:07 am

the fifth option is just hilarious

"yeah bro drink bleach you'll be fine"
Russo-Germanic city-state near the Ural mountains in Russia. Half anomalo-tech, half PMT.
a bit of info
COGCON LEVEL: 4
DEFCON LEVEL: 4
Minutes 'Till Midnight: 2 minutes

the final day
They be spottin' me with infa-red
Jzarovich News at Noon | Anonymous firefighter on last night's mysterious Air Force Base fire; "It's a long way to Frauksdriech, that stuff burned quickly." | Head of Soveinian Department of Education found passed out from alcohol consumption on the front steps of his house | Tunisian druglord found decapitated outside possible Soveinian Mafia-owned business

North Korea Choson
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 28, 2021

Postby North Korea Choson » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:09 am

Vacatio Libertas wrote:Feedback would definitely be appreciated. This is my first real attempt at issue writing. A friend of mine pointed out that the theme of the issue is similar to Issue #843, but I think my issue is distinct enough to constitute non-repetition. I would love to hear this forum's thoughts on it though before making an ill-advised submission.

I am just a normal nation. I am not an issue editor. U wrote it very well.
But, I think there should be an alternate #2 option for nations which have compulsory Atheism as religion is banned in those nations....

Verdant Haven
Issues Editor

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:18 am

Hello, and welcome to Got Issues! Glad to have another new face join us.

I definitely would share you friend's concern about overlap with 843. Some of your options are unique and new, but the situation itself, and the first option in particular, feel like they're basically identical, so I would consider this to be on the line at best.

The truly unique part of this seems to be the spiritual angle to the question, and I think by focusing on that you could give this draft an entirely new way of asking the question about alternative medicine. If you set the validity to be for heavily religious nations that have both traditional and "new age" religions present, that seems like it would be ripe grounds for spiritual traditionalists and alternative "healers" to have a showdown over the impacts of these procedures.

If that's done, you could reduce the number of options (5 is on the high side), and focus in on specific never-before-heard arguments, or approaches to arguments. That'd give you a good place for people like speaker 2 and speaker 3 representing those traditionalist and new age camps, and allow you to subvert speaker 1's general position as the "voice of science" to be the odd man out, making it feel different from that same position as seen in 843
Last edited by Verdant Haven on Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Verdant Haven

Vacatio Libertas
Civil Servant

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Vacatio Libertas » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:29 am

Verdant Haven wrote:Hello, and welcome to Got Issues! Glad to have another new face join us.

I definitely would share you friend's concern about overlap with 843. Some of your options are unique and new, but the situation itself, and the first option in particular, feel like they're basically identical, so I would consider this to be on the line at best.

The truly unique part of this seems to be the spiritual angle to the question, and I think by focusing on that you could give this draft an entirely new way of asking the question about alternative medicine. If you set the validity to be for heavily religious nations that have both traditional and "new age" religions present, that seems like it would be ripe grounds for spiritual traditionalists and alternative "healers" to have a showdown over the impacts of these procedures.

If that's done, you could reduce the number of options (5 is on the high side), and focus in on specific never-before-heard arguments, or approaches to arguments. That'd give you a good place for people like speaker 2 and speaker 3 representing those traditionalist and new age camps, and allow you to subvert speaker 1's general position as the "voice of science" to be the odd man out, making it feel different from that same position as seen in 843

Thank you so much for the extensive feedback! I just rewrote the issue choices to reframe it more as a conflict between alternative medicine and religious establishment. I also reworked the third choice to fit within the broader conflict between different breeds of esoterics. When I submit the issue, I will definitely set the validity to highly religious nations.

I understand that the issue has a bit of an excess of options. However, personally, I've always enjoyed issued with numerous options, so that was something I sought to include when writing my own.

How do you like the new version? Is it more distinct from Issue 843? Thank you so much for your help.
Last edited by Vacatio Libertas on Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Verdant Haven
Issues Editor

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:16 pm

Quick housekeeping – it will be helpful to place the new draft in your first post, and keep old drafts in spoilers below it – that way people coming to the thread immediately can see the current version.

Moving on.

- Now these options look more distinct! If this is the debate, I'm not worried about overlap. Good.

- This does need the Description portion updated and included as well :-D Try to present some specific triggering action that causes this discussion to come up. Simply saying that it's "the most recent… panic" doesn't tell us why – it just says what. A description also doesn't need to include a "people are showing up to ask your opinion" part unless it really contributes – nearly every issue has people showing up to ask your opinion in some way. Try to tell us what the situation is, so that it is self-evident what the speakers are responding to. For example – "After a gang of religious zealots burned down an alternative medicine clinic for 'waylaying the souls of the sick,' a posse of spirit healers responded by smashing all the stained glass at local church, accusing them of 'taking advantage of desperate families.' Temporal authorities are hesitating, seemingly uncertain what stance to take in this spiritual standoff."

- We also need the results/effects updated and included.

- Do not include the increases or decreases and such – simply write the issue to imply the changes you envision. All stats are added by the editing team if an issue is selected for inclusion in the game.

- This might be the most sane a Yellowite has been in an issue to date, but more importantly, they would not be welcome in all religious nations. That might be a good place to use @@FAITH@@, so that the primary "religious traditionalist" speaker is representing the player's designated main religion (or it will read "a major religion" if the player hasn't set one).

- For the third speaker, I would avoid using the real last name of the TV person, even if the first is changed.

- What does option 3 do? It looks like a faint push for deregulation of healthcare? I would try to make it slightly clearer what actual action is that the government does here.

- In option 5, it's humorous, but what exactly is envisioned as the goal here? We can't have leader killing themselves, and telling them to drink bleach is not exactly a policy decision as presented. If you want to keep this character, by all means do so – just again make sure that the actual government action desired is apparent somewhere.
- Verdant Haven

Vacatio Libertas
Civil Servant

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Vacatio Libertas » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:32 pm

Verdant Haven wrote:
Quick housekeeping – it will be helpful to place the new draft in your first post, and keep old drafts in spoilers below it – that way people coming to the thread immediately can see the current version.

Moving on.

- Now these options look more distinct! If this is the debate, I'm not worried about overlap. Good.

- This does need the Description portion updated and included as well :-D Try to present some specific triggering action that causes this discussion to come up. Simply saying that it's "the most recent… panic" doesn't tell us why – it just says what. A description also doesn't need to include a "people are showing up to ask your opinion" part unless it really contributes – nearly every issue has people showing up to ask your opinion in some way. Try to tell us what the situation is, so that it is self-evident what the speakers are responding to. For example – "After a gang of religious zealots burned down an alternative medicine clinic for 'waylaying the souls of the sick,' a posse of spirit healers responded by smashing all the stained glass at local church, accusing them of 'taking advantage of desperate families.' Temporal authorities are hesitating, seemingly uncertain what stance to take in this spiritual standoff."

- We also need the results/effects updated and included.

- Do not include the increases or decreases and such – simply write the issue to imply the changes you envision. All stats are added by the editing team if an issue is selected for inclusion in the game.

- This might be the most sane a Yellowite has been in an issue to date, but more importantly, they would not be welcome in all religious nations. That might be a good place to use @@FAITH@@, so that the primary "religious traditionalist" speaker is representing the player's designated main religion (or it will read "a major religion" if the player hasn't set one).

- For the third speaker, I would avoid using the real last name of the TV person, even if the first is changed.

- What does option 3 do? It looks like a faint push for deregulation of healthcare? I would try to make it slightly clearer what actual action is that the government does here.

- In option 5, it's humorous, but what exactly is envisioned as the goal here? We can't have leader killing themselves, and telling them to drink bleach is not exactly a policy decision as presented. If you want to keep this character, by all means do so – just again make sure that the actual government action desired is apparent somewhere.

I made some new adjustments based on the given feedback. I definitely copy edited your idea for a generic description portion and used it in this newest draft. I hope that's alright. Aside from that, how does it look?
Last edited by Vacatio Libertas on Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:00 am

Why did this esculate from a police matter to a leader matter? I can see why it's a leader matter, but how did it leave the police office and end up on your desk?
Sign the Petition: https://www.change.org/p/the-australian ... anny-state
From Greek Ancestry Orthodox Christian
18 Published Issues and 1 WA Resolution
In-Character posts made by this fictious account do not reflect the actions of any real world government

Vacatio Libertas
Civil Servant

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Vacatio Libertas » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:06 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Why did this esculate from a police matter to a leader matter? I can see why it's a leader matter, but how did it leave the police office and end up on your desk?

Fixed: I just added a clause in the last sentence: "as factional violence increases across the nation."

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?