NATION

PASSWORD

Southern independence

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nationalist Northumbria
Senator

Founded: Apr 27, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Nationalist Northumbria » Sat May 21, 2022 1:48 pm

Chan Island wrote:
Nationalist Northumbria wrote:It's not a "game where you try to find the special plea about every example" you bring up, it's just that your examples are bad. Your "Oh, independence? Why not independence for A HOUSE?" argument is a bad faith one and I will not engage with it beyond stating the obvious: Canterbury, let alone solely its rich areas, does not constitute an entity that could be independent as anything other than a nominally independent but in reality utterly dependent city-state (unlike the South). You do not offer the logical conclusion of 'my' argument (not my argument in this case actually), you offer its ILLOGICAL conclusion. Also Hales Place is not 'poor' it is a student area.

Less than 14% of people across Cornwall (only 16% in St Ives) could be bothered to report it as a national identity at the 2011 census so I think I should be fine thanks. Don't get me wrong though, I have great affection for the indigenous peoples of this island, whether they be Cumbrian, Welsh, or Cornish.

"why should the region of Britain that most strongly identifies as British secede from Britain?" IDK, as I said in the OP, "I, personally, am in favour of fiscal autonomy for the South" not independence. Go ask Nationalist Southumbria (South-Severn-Trent-ia?) why.

Of course results before 1997 matter. I can give you the 1992, 1987, and 1983 results if you want. Best interests of someone residing in London? Young, degree-educated Londoners would no longer be handing over 42.75% of earnings over £20,000 (there was a very good screenshot doing the rounds in past days) in a low-tax South. With a party of the right looking after their interests and not those of home-owning pensioners in some mythical place called 'the Red Wall', it hardly seems unreasonable that the more prosperous parts of London could once more vote the way they did in the 1980s.

Finally, 1. politics is about vibes and 2. Lancaster is a university city.

Damn right it was bad faith by that point. I had asked you the same question multiple times and you dodged it every time.

You have such great affection for the people of Britain that you dismiss their heritages, call old languages conlangs, ignore their identifications and seek for every part of Britain to be independent for no good reason. Suuuuure you do.

Oh don't give me that. You titled this southern independence. You are by far the best known for advocating full independence for another part of Britain in NSG. You spent 3 paragraphs in the OP making the case for it before sheepishly putting a "well it could be not full independence" style addition. You argue in favour of that independence when others counter. It is fully legitimate to rebut that argument here.

Young, degree-earning Londoners who overwhelmingly support higher taxes, more social spending and greater welfare, and are the strongest supporters in the country for that party- not to mention among the most likely people in Britain to consider themselves British. Yeah, blow off again on how much you care about Londoner wallets.

"Vibes" and this deflection on Lancaster being a university town (when Guildford is also one you so&so) is a way just for you to pretend that you somehow have a point. You clearly don't.

Rational discussion is obviously impossible at this point. Have fun.

"Young, degree-earning Londoners who overwhelmingly support higher taxes, more social spending and greater welfare, and are the strongest supporters in the country for that party" This is such a fundamentally flawed understanding of British politics, with no relation to actual reality beyond the fact they vote Labour, that I don't even know where to begin. Anyway, thanks for admitting you lost the argument. And don't start trying to lecture me about 'deflection' when you're bringing up Guildford out of nowhere.
Republic of Northumbria
Bede kinnie — Catgirl appreciator

"The amazing thing is that Tony Blair being shot in the head after running a barricade for inexplicable reasons is one of the most plausible episodes in this RP,
which comes across as House of Cards by the writers of Mr. Bean."

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sat May 21, 2022 1:50 pm

Pop into this thread again to see Munk insulting and dismissing the Cornish people so I see his tact and care about the non-English people of Britain is just as graceful as ever.
Last edited by Heloin on Sat May 21, 2022 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nationalist Northumbria
Senator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Nationalist Northumbria » Sat May 21, 2022 1:57 pm

Heloin wrote:Pop into this thread again to see Munk insulting and dismissing the Cornish people so I see his tact and care about the non-English people of Britain is just as graceful as ever.

As I think as I've already said, please don't get me wrong, I have great respect for the indigenous peoples of this island.
Republic of Northumbria

"The amazing thing is that Tony Blair being shot in the head after running a barricade for inexplicable reasons is one of the most plausible episodes in this RP,

Space Squid
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 04, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Space Squid » Sat May 21, 2022 2:00 pm

Nationalist Northumbria wrote:
Heloin wrote:Pop into this thread again to see Munk insulting and dismissing the Cornish people so I see his tact and care about the non-English people of Britain is just as graceful as ever.

As I think as I've already said, please don't get me wrong, I have great respect for the indigenous peoples of this island.

And their weird made-up languages.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡠⠔⠒⠒⠠⠄⢠
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣁⠴⠛⠋⠀⠀⡎
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⠔⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⡎⠰⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⠜⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡼⠒⠁⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⢀⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣶⡓⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⠜⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⢠⣪⠖⠒⢮⣢⠀⠀⠀⠀⡠⢊⢕⣢⡌⢦⠀⢤⣠⠔⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⢳⣴⠷⠃⠔⣒⠚⠇⡢⠠⠤⠺⠃⠘⢞⣋⠅⢠⠧⠊⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⡀⠀⣔⣕⣁⣤⣬⢦⣤⣭⠤⢂⡀⠀⣀⡀⠔⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠉⢋⡿⢛⣭⣴⣶⡿⢉⣤⣴⣿⠀⠁⡇⠀⢀⠠⠤⠀⠤⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⣮⠁⣾⠟⠉⠀⢰⡘⡿⠁⣿⣄⠣⡍⠉⠔⠊⠉⠉⢱⡼⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠿⠀⢹⠀⢀⣼⠟⠉⢊⠆⠻⣿⢓⠪⠥⡂⢄⠀⠀⢗⢅⣀⣀⡀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠘⡹⡉⠀⢸⣟⠀⢀⢜⠆⠀⠹⣻⢦⡀⠈⡄⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠁⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠈⠺⢄⠀⠹⡆⠻⠁⠀⢀⡴⡹⠀⠻⣄⣽⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢱⣜⣦⠀⠀⠀⢠⡗⠉⠀⠀⠀⢩⡌⠙⢳⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⢽⣿⠀⠀⠀⠈⠓⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠫⣛⡄⠀⢀⢴⣾⣗⡶⢠⡴⠗⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠀⠈⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Nationalist Northumbria
Senator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Nationalist Northumbria » Sat May 21, 2022 2:01 pm

Space Squid wrote:
Nationalist Northumbria wrote:As I think as I've already said, please don't get me wrong, I have great respect for the indigenous peoples of this island.

And their weird made-up languages.

I didn't call Cornish weird.
Republic of Northumbria

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat May 21, 2022 3:13 pm

But their wants should be secondary to those of the Northumbrian Viking settlers.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

New Eestiball
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 06, 2021
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby New Eestiball » Sat May 21, 2022 4:38 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Nationalist Northumbria wrote:As I think as I've already said, please don't get me wrong, I have great respect for the indigenous peoples of this island.

But their wants should be secondary to those of the Northumbrian Viking settlers.

:clap:
current song: there is a light that never goes out by the smiths
this flag inspired by scytharum's old one
base-6 is inherently the best base
you can find me in nssports as the martian independent republic but the nation I'm writing lore for is asiikafa
likes: the beatles/the cure/the who/most 60s and 70s music in general/liberal democracy/abstraction/vexillology
dislikes are unnecessary because the world doesn't need more negativity

Nationalist Northumbria
Senator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Nationalist Northumbria » Sat May 21, 2022 5:14 pm

New Eestiball wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

:clap:

Why should I take seriously your opinions on the history of cultures in Britain when you lack such a basic understanding of it that you refer to "Northumbrian Viking settlers"?
Republic of Northumbria

Space Squid
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 04, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Space Squid » Sat May 21, 2022 5:32 pm

New Eestiball wrote: :clap:

Why should I take seriously your opinions on the history of cultures in Britain when you lack such a basic understanding of it that you refer to "Northumbrian Viking settlers"?

Indeed.

You see: the Vikings are Germanic invaders from Scandinavia.
Whereas: the Anglo-Saxons are Germanic invaders from Scandinavia.

Totally different.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡠⠔⠒⠒⠠⠄⢠
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣁⠴⠛⠋⠀⠀⡎
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⠔⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⡎⠰⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⠜⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡼⠒⠁⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⢀⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣶⡓⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⠜⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⢠⣪⠖⠒⢮⣢⠀⠀⠀⠀⡠⢊⢕⣢⡌⢦⠀⢤⣠⠔⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⢳⣴⠷⠃⠔⣒⠚⠇⡢⠠⠤⠺⠃⠘⢞⣋⠅⢠⠧⠊⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⡀⠀⣔⣕⣁⣤⣬⢦⣤⣭⠤⢂⡀⠀⣀⡀⠔⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠉⢋⡿⢛⣭⣴⣶⡿⢉⣤⣴⣿⠀⠁⡇⠀⢀⠠⠤⠀⠤⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⣮⠁⣾⠟⠉⠀⢰⡘⡿⠁⣿⣄⠣⡍⠉⠔⠊⠉⠉⢱⡼⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠿⠀⢹⠀⢀⣼⠟⠉⢊⠆⠻⣿⢓⠪⠥⡂⢄⠀⠀⢗⢅⣀⣀⡀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠘⡹⡉⠀⢸⣟⠀⢀⢜⠆⠀⠹⣻⢦⡀⠈⡄⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠁⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠈⠺⢄⠀⠹⡆⠻⠁⠀⢀⡴⡹⠀⠻⣄⣽⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢱⣜⣦⠀⠀⠀⢠⡗⠉⠀⠀⠀⢩⡌⠙⢳⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⢽⣿⠀⠀⠀⠈⠓⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠫⣛⡄⠀⢀⢴⣾⣗⡶⢠⡴⠗⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠀⠈⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Nationalist Northumbria
Senator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Nationalist Northumbria » Sun May 22, 2022 12:50 am

Space Squid wrote:
Nationalist Northumbria wrote:Why should I take seriously your opinions on the history of cultures in Britain when you lack such a basic understanding of it that you refer to "Northumbrian Viking settlers"?

Indeed.

You see: the Vikings are Germanic invaders from Scandinavia.
Whereas: the Anglo-Saxons are Germanic invaders from Scandinavia.

Totally different.

Stop digging.
Republic of Northumbria

Broader Confederate States
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Broader Confederate States » Sun May 22, 2022 12:59 am

Ooh, a threa--
Oh, southern England.

...well, I suppose I wouldn't mind seeing Cornwall be its own country. I don't exactly have any kind of dog in this race nor any real knowledge of any of the dogs that are, I'm a Mexican, but Cornwall and Brittany are the two remaining places to gain some at least marginal forms of independence.
President: Phillip J. Morris | Location: Southern U.S., plus Puerto Rico and Alaska | Government Type: Confederation | Year: 2066 | Technology: Oil Crisis MT+ | OOC
haha аляска | Rewrite un-canned, expect it before 2021 March September 2030 maybe. | i honestly forgot basically every interaction i've had on these forums from before like july | We're proud to present...
Witty unattributed quote I'm using to pretend I'm more intelligent than I really am.
--proud to be anti-federalist--

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun May 22, 2022 1:16 am

So what makes Northumbrians indiginous to the island of Great Britain?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Nationalist Northumbria
Senator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Nationalist Northumbria » Sun May 22, 2022 1:35 am

Vassenor wrote:
Nationalist Northumbria wrote:Why should I take seriously your opinions on the history of cultures in Britain when you lack such a basic understanding of it that you refer to "Northumbrian Viking settlers"?

I've never denied that we're settlers.
Republic of Northumbria

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun May 22, 2022 1:36 am

Vassenor wrote:

I've never denied that we're settlers.

Just complained that calling an area almost entirely subsumed by the Danelaw an area populated by Vikings is wrong.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Nationalist Northumbria
Senator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Nationalist Northumbria » Sun May 22, 2022 1:49 am

Vassenor wrote:
Nationalist Northumbria wrote:I've never denied that we're settlers.

Just complained that calling an area almost entirely subsumed by the Danelaw an area populated by Vikings is wrong.

Congrats, it is actually impossible to debate this with you when the understanding of Northumbrian history in this post and your "Northumbrian Vikings" one is so flawed. I'm not asking you to read a book or two, but at least read a Wikipedia article.
Last edited by Nationalist Northumbria on Sun May 22, 2022 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Republic of Northumbria

Yusufzai Swat
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 16, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Yusufzai Swat » Sun May 22, 2022 1:54 am

I think I remember reading that in every war against the GHA the Northumbrians sided with the other English not the Vikings
News:
Currently an extremely westernised state due to the legacy of Thamesholmian rule.
Less than 200,000 people live here.

Nationalist Northumbria
Senator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Nationalist Northumbria » Sun May 22, 2022 1:56 am

Yusufzai Swat wrote:I think I remember reading that in every war against the GHA the Northumbrians sided with the other English not the Vikings

Where did you read it?
Republic of Northumbria

Yusufzai Swat
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 16, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Yusufzai Swat » Sun May 22, 2022 2:19 am

Yusufzai Swat wrote:I think I remember reading that in every war against the GHA the Northumbrians sided with the other English not the Vikings

Where did you read it?

I don’t remember. I did the Anglo Saxons and Norman Conquest in GCSE history, I got an 8 (equivalent to an A or A*).
News:
Currently an extremely westernised state due to the legacy of Thamesholmian rule.
Less than 200,000 people live here.

Nationalist Northumbria
Senator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Nationalist Northumbria » Sun May 22, 2022 2:55 am

Yusufzai Swat wrote:
Nationalist Northumbria wrote:Where did you read it?

I don’t remember. I did the Anglo Saxons and Norman Conquest in GCSE history, I got an 8 (equivalent to an A or A*).

OK.
Republic of Northumbria

New Eestiball
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 06, 2021
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby New Eestiball » Sun May 22, 2022 7:59 am

I was clapping because I thought it was a witty remark.
current song: there is a light that never goes out by the smiths
this flag inspired by scytharum's old one
base-6 is inherently the best base
you can find me in nssports as the martian independent republic but the nation I'm writing lore for is asiikafa
likes: the beatles/the cure/the who/most 60s and 70s music in general/liberal democracy/abstraction/vexillology
dislikes are unnecessary because the world doesn't need more negativity

Haganham
Minister

Founded: Aug 17, 2021
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Haganham » Sun May 22, 2022 8:44 am

The fact that you find the phrase "Northumbrian Viking settlers" as something to object to tells me that you have such a poor understanding of the history of Britain that you would be better off having none at all.
Imagine reading a signature, but over the course of it the quality seems to deteriorate and it gets wose an wose, where the swenetence stwucture and gwammer rewerts to a pwoint of uttew non swence, an u jus dont wanna wead it anymwore (o´ω`o) awd twa wol owdewl iws jus awfwul (´・ω・`);. bwt tw sinawtur iwswnwt obwer nyet, it gwos own an own an own an own. uwu wanyaa stwop weadwing bwut uwu cwant stop wewding, uwu stwartd thwis awnd ur gwoing two fwinibsh it nowo mwattew wat! uwu hab mwoxie kwiddowo, bwut uwu wibl gwib ub sowon. i cwan wite wike dis fwor owors, swo dwont cwalengbe mii..

… wbats dis??? uwu awe stwill weedinb mwie sinatwr?? uwu habe awot ob detewemwinyanyatiom!! 。◕‿◕。! u habve comopweedid tha signwtr, good job!

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Diarcesia » Sun May 22, 2022 8:47 am

New Straits wrote:Yeah right all the problems can be solved by seperatisim or secession.

Self-determination goes brrr

Nationalist Northumbria
Senator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Nationalist Northumbria » Sun May 22, 2022 8:49 am

Haganham wrote:

The fact that you find the phrase "Northumbrian Viking settlers" as something to object to tells me that you have such a poor understanding of the history of Britain that you would be better off having none at all.

Oh, please feel free to explain.
Republic of Northumbria

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sun May 22, 2022 9:09 am

Chan Island wrote:

Damn right it was bad faith by that point. I had asked you the same question multiple times and you dodged it every time.

You have such great affection for the people of Britain that you dismiss their heritages, call old languages conlangs, ignore their identifications and seek for every part of Britain to be independent for no good reason. Suuuuure you do.

Oh don't give me that. You titled this southern independence. You are by far the best known for advocating full independence for another part of Britain in NSG. You spent 3 paragraphs in the OP making the case for it before sheepishly putting a "well it could be not full independence" style addition. You argue in favour of that independence when others counter. It is fully legitimate to rebut that argument here.

Young, degree-earning Londoners who overwhelmingly support higher taxes, more social spending and greater welfare, and are the strongest supporters in the country for that party- not to mention among the most likely people in Britain to consider themselves British. Yeah, blow off again on how much you care about Londoner wallets.

"Vibes" and this deflection on Lancaster being a university town (when Guildford is also one you so&so) is a way just for you to pretend that you somehow have a point. You clearly don't.

Rational discussion is obviously impossible at this point. Have fun.

"Young, degree-earning Londoners who overwhelmingly support higher taxes, more social spending and greater welfare, and are the strongest supporters in the country for that party" This is such a fundamentally flawed understanding of British politics, with no relation to actual reality beyond the fact they vote Labour, that I don't even know where to begin. Anyway, thanks for admitting you lost the argument. And don't start trying to lecture me about 'deflection' when you're bringing up Guildford out of nowhere.

If it makes you feel better, you are free to interpret that as losing an argument.

I think most observers would be more inclined to believe that I just do not wish to waste more time debating with someone who is being fundamentally irrational.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Biladu Al Rafidayn
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 25, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Biladu Al Rafidayn » Sun May 22, 2022 9:14 am

Eh, a Republic of London would be cool but a Southern English country? It would be better off under the UK unless they join the EU
Alt of Islamic Holy Sites
PROUD FOUNDER OF GLEN!
See my military store!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General