NATION

PASSWORD

New Cottington Sentinels (Superhero Char RP|OOC, Open)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
User avatar
Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6308
Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

New Cottington Sentinels (Superhero Char RP|OOC, Open)

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:02 am

Image



Welcome to New Cottington Sentinels, an RP where you will take on the role of one of the eponymous New Cottington Sentinels, a group of city endorsed superhuman vigilates in the imaginary city of New Cottington.

'New Cottington' is set in the fictional city of the same name that is more-or-less this universe's version of New York. Other than this one change you can assume that all technology etc. is more-or-less the same as it is today and other places still exist on the map. I have chosen to use a fictional city to allow a bit of creativity on my, and your part regarding places etc.

As for what kind of superhero you want to be, that is entirely over to you! Maybe you are an alien visitor from another galaxy, or perhaps from a hidden civilisation on our own earth? Maybe you received strange powers as some kind of government experiment or occult ritual? Maybe you are an old hand? Maybe you are a talented person, enhancing your natural skills with a bit of technology? Maybe you are a rookie learning the ropes? Maybe an old hand? Feel free to be as creative as you like!

If the RP has started, don't worry, this RP will stay open forever. If you join late I will work with you to get a logical introduction sorted!




LORE



Perhaps the superhuman beings have always been with us. There is certainly no reason to think that they haven't been, certainly there have been visitors from other civilisations, though in the modern sense, the age of the superhero was the result of 'Operation Paperclip'.

1944-45 was a time of desperation for the Third Reich, who tried all manner of outlandish plans to try to find victory out of inevitable defeat. While soldiers ran short of ammunition and tanks lay unusable due to lack of parts, the Reich's scientists remained well funded, cooking up all manner of war machine. Some, like the V-2 rocket and the Me 262, would be carefully examined and built upon by the victors. Others, like the Panzer VIII Maus and the V-3 cannon turned out to be a colossal waste of time and resources. The 'Supersoldaten' project was one which fell into the first categories.

After the fall of the Reich, NATO and the Warsaw pact, both embarked on projects to augment soldiers, deploying small units of 'supes' to trouble spots around the globe. Neither side acknowledged what they were doing, though both sides found the results impressive enough the continue investing in their programmes. Though with glasnost and the eventual fall of the Soviet Union in the early 90s, most nations abandoned their augmentation projects as an expensive folly, which created another problem... a whole lot of demobbed Supes with nothing to do. Some disappeared into society to lead normal lives. Others turned to crime. And then there were the ones who decided to put their abilities to use for the protection of others.

While Supes are far from common, New Cottington has, over the last 40 years, become something of a hotspot for superpowered crime, which led, in 2002, to the official recognition of the group known as the 'New Cottington Sentinels', who have come to be an invaluable addition to the city's law enforcement. While the city tolerates the Sentinels, and they are generally well liked, there are still plenty of detractors who view vigilante groups as a part of the problem.

The Sentinels are based out of Octagon House (not actually an octagon), a large, secluded manor house on the outskirts of town. Team members live there on and off but more importantly there is a secret training and logistics area behind the wine cellar that acts as a base. This is not known to the majority of the police force, the general public or anyone outside of the group. Only a few senior officers and the Sentinels themselves know the location of their base of operation.



CHARACTER CREATION

Your Character



I would encourage people to be as creative as they like with their characters, however, I have a few small rules around character creation that are designed to keep things balanced and fun for everyone.
  • There is a points based system for character creation. You might be asked to jiggle these around a bit if I think your character is over or under powered. You have 8 points to spend.
  • Do not create a character which implicitly or explicitly proves the validity of any religion or philosophy. This is so that someone can create a character who follows a different system (so no, you cannot RP as the antichrist).
  • No mind control or messing with time. These are just too complicated to use in a forum RP.
  • Your character is a member of the New Cottington Sentinels.

Super Powers



You have 8 points to allocate to your character. There are four Levels of power (more below). These each cost the corresponding number of points. So you could give your character two level 4 powers, 8 level 1 powers or any combination in between.

Keep. It. Simple. Stupid. While I encourage you to be as creative as you like with your powers, if I can't figure out what you are doing, then I'm not going to accept your app. Similarly if it looks like you are trying to create an inspector gadget bag of tricks to let you waltz through any scenario, I'm not going to accept it. You are going to be part of a group and scenarios will mean that you need to work together.

If you are describing general human skills, writing something broadly applicable like 'strength', 'speed', 'gymnastics', 'firearms' or 'hand to hand combat' is perfect. Though if you really want to make a narrower field, assume they are a bit better than someone who is more of a generalist.

If you are using advanced tech to augment your character, such as a super suit, please treat it exactly like you would a super power and allocate points accordingly. That being said, I do not need to know if your character has a handgun or other stuff you can go out and buy.

For a rough guide of how many points your power should be, please see my (hopefully) handy explanation below:

Level One
For human abilities (e.g. strength, firearms etc) this would cover the level a soldier might have.
For unnatural abilities or equipment this would cover situationally useful stuff. e.g. if you were a shapeshifter, this might be you can turn into a lizard... this might be helpful sometimes, but a lot of the time it won't.
If you are describing armour (either physical or part of your characters body) this should not be able to protect you from more than a single hit from a handgun.
If you are describing a power or ability that is primarily a means of escape, this should be something that allows an uninjured person to evacuate on their own.

Level Two
When describing human abilities, you are about as good (as someone of your physical size etc) is ever likely to be. So if you've decided, for some completely bizarre reason, that you want to create a morbidly obese gymnast who is also a chain smoker, they're still going to have a few obstacles to overcome...
If you are describing a piece of equipment or unnatural ability it should be about as dangerous/useful as a handgun. Obviously I'm expecting your character to be able to use it better than the average guy!
Armour would be protecting you from a single hit from an assault rile or multiple handgun hits.
If your power helps you escape, you can probably evacuate yourself and others, provided you aren't injured.

Level Three
Human abilities are now at about 3x what a person is actually capable of.
Equipment or unnatural abilities are similar in danger/utility to a assault rifle.
Armour will now protect you from an armour piercing round or multiple hits from lower calibre weapons.
Escape powers mean you can probably escape on your own, even if you are seriously injured.
You might want a travel power at this point (i.e. movement stuff without great combat value) For this kind of ability (that doesn't have a combat application) you would move at about the speed of a helicopter.

Level Four
Human abilities are now at about 10x what a person is actually capable of.
Equipment or unnatural abilities are similar in danger/utility to a machine gun or other heavy weapon.
Armour will now protect you from up to three armour piercing rounds.
Escape powers mean you can probably escape on your own, even if you are seriously injured, and carry others with you.
Travel powers mean you can move at the speed of a military jet.

These levels are all a bit vague because I can't possibly think of all the powers you might think of so please don't be offended if I ask you to tweak yours a bit.


Application Form


When filling in an application form, please delete everything in parentheses.

Character App
Code: Select all
[box]
[size=150][b]Character Description[/b][/size]
[list][b]Name:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b] [spoiler](Feel free to describe with text or put pictures in here.  If you are using a picture, personally, I find it easier to picture a character who is shown in photo/realistic drawing though I'm not going to get funny about anything else.  Unless it is your personal stick-man art.  I might draw the line at that.)[/spoiler]
[/list]

[hr][/hr][size=150][b]Superpowers![/b][/size]
[b]Skills and Powers[/b]: (Allocate your 8 points here.  Please indicate what they are, what level they are at and -specifically- what you imagine them doing)

[hr][/hr][size=150][b]Backsotry:[/b][/size]
(How did you come to be here?)
[/box]




THE RULES


And while these seem totally self-explanatory, once in a while you get someone who really needs it spelled out:

  • Decisions: My word and the word of anyone I appoint as a Co-OP is binding. If you don’t like a decision, you can, of course, ask for us to reconsider it. Once. If we made a decision you don’t like, complaining for pages and pages is not going to endear you to anyone. Not me, not the Co-OPs and not your fellow writers. On that note, I intend to run this thread as an anarcho-communist cooperative. This is an unnecessarily complicated way of saying that my word DOES NOT overrule theirs. If there is an appeal and a dispute amongst the Co-OPs we will take a vote on the matter.
  • Post Quality: I don’t have a problem with short posts, I'd rather a short post than no post, but PLEASE use proper spelling (I don’t care what regional variant), grammar etc.
    Ideally also try to include a 'hook' when you write a post, which is to say something that gives other people something to respond to. If your post is something along the lines of 'Bilbo Baggins stayed in his room and read a book while the world was ending', don't be surprised if nobody responds to you.
  • Posting Commitment: Nothing is worse than making an RP only for it to die. Please try to make at least one post every 48 hours or so. If you find yourself unable to post, please let me know in the OOC thread. If it looks like you've abandoned a character in the middle of a fight scene I might decide to kill them off if I'm feeling particularly malicious.
  • Posting Speed: On the flip side, blitz posting can also be infuriating. So, especially during the important scenes, I recommend giving your fellow players a reasonable time to make a reply. We all have real lives. That being said, if someone leaves everyone waiting for over 48 hours, feel free to carry on the scene without them.
  • OOC thread Manners: This rule can be summarised in four words 'Don't be a dick'. Nothing annoys me more than bad manners on an OOC thread. Swearing, passive-aggressive sniping or any other rude behaviour are not welcome on the OOC. I will warn you once. If you can’t control yourself I will ask you to remove yourself from the thread.
  • IC thread Manners: Remember, we are writing a story together, not playing to win. You are all on the same side anyway. Sort of.
  • Character Death: Player death is possible in this RP, though will be quite rare and easily avoidable. Please don’t write that you have killed another character unless you have OOC permission from the character's owner to do it. Beat them into a pulp or take them prisoner, but don’t kill them. Having said that, if someone does something really stupid, I reserve the right to announce your character has got themselves killed. Likewise, if someone goes inactive in the middle of a fight scene without explanation and cannot be raised, I may decide to kill their character off.
  • Keep it PG13: Shouldn’t need to be telling you this really but keep the erotica and gorn off the thread. Hopefully you all know how to write forum-safe stuff. I will be extremely disappointed if the mods have to pay us a visit.
  • Banning Players: I really don’t want to be doing that but reserve the right to do so if you cannot follow the (hopefully, rather simple) rules above.
Last edited by Dyelli Beybi on Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
Nachfolgia
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7054
Founded: Jan 19, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Nachfolgia » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:48 am

Why you make me do this and join another rp. Lol

Military Factbook
The best damn alliance to ever grace NS
Strike witches


Accomplished Member of the The Age Of Neophytos RP Group

User avatar
Arengin Union
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8699
Founded: Feb 23, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Arengin Union » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:09 am

This Hero RP will make a fine addition to my collection
Image
"I do as I please"
-King Abraham Markev final words before jumping into a cage to fight a lion.

Proud member of the Federation of Allies

User avatar
Europa Undivided
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1729
Founded: Jun 18, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Europa Undivided » Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:28 pm

The Emperor is plleased.
Protestant ~ RPer ~ House of RepresentaThieves ~ Asian ~ Pro-Life ~ Agent of Chaos ~ Discord: Adeptus Ridiculous#7123
“Those who cannot conceive Friendship as a substantive love but only as a disguise or elaboration of Eros betray the fact that they have never had a Friend." - C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Voxija
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1447
Founded: Jan 17, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Voxija » Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:11 pm

I will join this, hi again Andromeda-affiliated RPs.
The Republic of Voxija (pronounced: Voshiya)
I'm a woman. Some weird Jew. Trying to learn French and failing. An American who wishes the US would switch to the metric system. Part of a giant conspiracy. Secret pyromaniac? I will never make an OOC factbook!

my politics are confused and muddled
Most of my grammar errors are on purpose. Sppeling errors, tho...
I'd rather be fishing. | Author of Issues 1324 and 1346.
Generic MT liberal democracy Meh. | I think that by now I've created more lore for my nation than most real-world nations have.
Disclaimer: the views of my characters do not necessarily represent the views of the author.

User avatar
Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6308
Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:05 pm

Nachfolgia wrote:Why you make me do this and join another rp. Lol


It's a mark of what a sadist I am. Always launching new RPs.

User avatar
Voxija
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1447
Founded: Jan 17, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Voxija » Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:58 pm

Character Description
    Name: Ivy Karin (formerly Irina Karinova)
    Gender: female
    Age: 35 (actually way older)
    Appearance:
    Natalia Poklonskaya crossed with one of Bond's Bond girls. Blonde, tall, looks really good. Of course, that might not be her original appearance.



Superpowers!
Skills and Powers: 3 points- shapeshifting. Ivy can turn into anything of roughly the same mass as her. Mostly into humans, although she has disguised herself as animal, vegetable (mostly small trees and potted plants), and mineral. She is quite skilled and uses it often for infiltration or even to transform into a short person with muscles.

2 points- sniper-level good with guns, mostly Kalashnikovs.

2 points- and knifes.

1 point- and making poisons.


Backsotry:
Ivy Karin was born Irina Karinova in Ivanovo, a small city in European Russia. She grew up to serve the state, follow the rules and drink her vodka straight. Irina joined the party, moved to Moscow, and swiftly rose up the ranks of the Communist Party, at least high enough to know about Operation Red Power, a super soldier program started by Stalin and continued by his successors. Irina volunteered gleefully. She was experimented on, and gained the power of shapeshifting.

Irina became a spy for Soviet Russia in the US, but soon began thinking of defecting. She just began to like America's system better than the USSR's, and [CAPITALIST SHILLING CENSORED]. Before Irina could defect fully, the Soviet Union collapsed. Irina stayed in the US, and changed her name to Ivy Karin. She eventually moved to New Cottington and joined the Sentinels after impressing the leader. She is now second-in-command.
Last edited by Voxija on Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Republic of Voxija (pronounced: Voshiya)
I'm a woman. Some weird Jew. Trying to learn French and failing. An American who wishes the US would switch to the metric system. Part of a giant conspiracy. Secret pyromaniac? I will never make an OOC factbook!

my politics are confused and muddled
Most of my grammar errors are on purpose. Sppeling errors, tho...
I'd rather be fishing. | Author of Issues 1324 and 1346.
Generic MT liberal democracy Meh. | I think that by now I've created more lore for my nation than most real-world nations have.
Disclaimer: the views of my characters do not necessarily represent the views of the author.

User avatar
Europa Undivided
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1729
Founded: Jun 18, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Europa Undivided » Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:45 pm

Character Description
    Name: Luka Ranogajec (The Comet)
    Gender: A Man
    Age: 28
    Appearance:


Superpowers!
Skills and Powers:
4 points: Solar Sight - Luka has the capability of firing beams of energy from his eyes, with its maximum firepower roughly equal to an autocannon. It reaches its maximum potency during the day, as sunlight empowers most of his abilities. At night, it is as strong as a normal assault rifle with military rounds.
3 points: Comet of Legend - The main reason Luka has been named the Comet. He is able to take off and fly at the speed of a helicopter, all the while leaving a trail of faint starlight.
1 point: Durability - Luka is able to take a shot from a handgun without issue, though heavier weapons are a serious threat.

Backstory:
Luka Ranogojec was born in Zagreb, Croatia, just a year before the onset of the breakup of Yugoslavia and the resulting civil war that followed. As such, his memory of his homeland only goes as far as the violence and destruction that stemmed from the pent up hatreds between the nations that made up the fragile unity of Yugoslavia. He often says that he was glad that he was just a little kid when it all happened, as he could barely remember what happened back there. Luka mostly knows the war from pictures and videos of the conflict, as his comparatively well off family fled Yugoslavia when he was around three years old. They first went to Italy, and then went on to go towards the United States, eventually settling on New Cottington. Luka grew up in the ways of America, and did not care to even think of returning to Croatia.

When Luka (usually known as Luke by his compatriots) turned 18, that was when the powers that he inherited from his ancestors, at least one of whom had been one of the supes deployed by the Warsaw Pact. Luka's parents told him that that said ancestor was probably a spy back in the old days, or a supe that decided to live a normal life, since they too were surprised when Luka started flying and shooting little beams out of his eyes. It was a parental nightmare.

Despite everything, though, Luka lived a mostly normal life, and finished college with some hefty medals in tow. Nowadays, sometimes he’s a writer for the newspaper. And at other times, he’s a Sentinel.
Protestant ~ RPer ~ House of RepresentaThieves ~ Asian ~ Pro-Life ~ Agent of Chaos ~ Discord: Adeptus Ridiculous#7123
“Those who cannot conceive Friendship as a substantive love but only as a disguise or elaboration of Eros betray the fact that they have never had a Friend." - C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6308
Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:43 pm

Voxija wrote:
Character Description
    Name: Ivy Karin (formerly Irina Karinova)
    Gender: female
    Age: 35 (actually way older)
    Appearance:


Superpowers!
Skills and Powers: 3 points- shapeshifting. Ivy can turn into anything of roughly the same mass as her. Mostly into humans, although she has disguised herself as animal, vegetable (mostly small trees and potted plants), and mineral. She is quite skilled and uses it often for infiltration or even to transform into a short person with muscles.

2 points- slowed aging. Mostly a consequence of said shapeshifting, although her default form also looks like a thirty-year-old.

1 point- she is very good with Kalashnikov.

1 point- and knifes.

1 point- and poison.


Backsotry:
Ivy Karin was born Irina Karinova in Ivanovo, a small city in European Russia. She grew up to serve the state, follow the rules and drink her vodka straight. Irina joined the party, moved to Moscow, and swiftly rose up the ranks of the Communist Party, at least high enough to know about Operation Red Power, a super soldier program started by Stalin and continued by his successors. Irina volunteered gleefully. She was experimented on, and gained the power of shapeshifting.

Irina became a spy for Soviet Russia in the US, but soon began thinking of defecting. She just began to like America's system better than the USSR's, and [CAPITALIST SHILLING CENSORED]. Before Irina could defect fully, the Soviet Union collapsed. Irina stayed in the US, and changed her name to Ivy Karin. She eventually moved to New Cottington and joined the Sentinels after impressing the leader. She is now second-in-command.


Hey Vox, good to see you back!

I'm going to ask you to tweak your powers... upwards! (If you want to)

Slow ageing is fun flavour but it doesn't make her more dangerous, so if you want to boost Ivy's skills in other areas, feel free to allocate those two points to other stuff (like maybe just do firearms 2 and bladed weapons 2? So super-elite at both... that could be fun)! Also good with poisons... do you mean making them? If it's making them, leave it at a 1, if you mean using them, feel free to drop it to a zero (since most people can slip someone a mickey) and add another point somewhere else!

User avatar
Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6308
Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:35 am

Europa Undivided wrote:
Character Description
    Name: Luka Ranogajec (The Comet)
    Gender: A Man
    Age: 28
    Appearance:


Superpowers!
Skills and Powers:
4 points: Solar Sight - Luka has the capability of firing beams of energy from his eyes, with its maximum firepower roughly equal to an autocannon. It reaches its maximum potency during the day, as sunlight empowers most of his abilities. At night, it is as strong as a normal assault rifle with military rounds.
3 points: Comet of Legend - The main reason Luka has been named the Comet. He is able to take off and fly at the speed of a helicopter, all the while leaving a trail of faint starlight.
1 point: Durability - Luka is able to take a shot from a handgun without issue, though heavier weapons are a serious threat.

Backstory:
Luka Ranogojec was born in Zagreb, Croatia, just a year before the onset of the breakup of Yugoslavia and the resulting civil war that followed. As such, his memory of his homeland only goes as far as the violence and destruction that stemmed from the pent up hatreds between the nations that made up the fragile unity of Yugoslavia. He often says that he was glad that he was just a little kid when it all happened, as he could barely remember what happened back there. Luka mostly knows the war from pictures and videos of the conflict, as his comparatively well off family fled Yugoslavia when he was around three years old. They first went to Italy, and then went on to go towards the United States, eventually settling on New Cottington. Luka grew up in the ways of America, and did not care to even think of returning to Croatia.

When Luka (usually known as Luke by his compatriots) turned 18, that was when the powers that he inherited from his ancestors, at least one of whom had been one of the supes deployed by the Warsaw Pact. Luka's parents told him that that said ancestor was probably a spy back in the old days, or a supe that decided to live a normal life, since they too were surprised when Luka started flying and shooting little beams out of his eyes. It was a parental nightmare.

Despite everything, though, Luka lived a mostly normal life, and finished college with some hefty medals in tow. Nowadays, sometimes he’s a writer for the newspaper. And at other times, he’s a Sentinel.


Looks fine, though bear in mind with armour, that a level one type armour should be penetrable to handguns if hit repeatedly in the same area.

User avatar
Europa Undivided
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1729
Founded: Jun 18, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Europa Undivided » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:54 am

Dyelli Beybi wrote:
Europa Undivided wrote:
Character Description
    Name: Luka Ranogajec (The Comet)
    Gender: A Man
    Age: 28
    Appearance:


Superpowers!
Skills and Powers:
4 points: Solar Sight - Luka has the capability of firing beams of energy from his eyes, with its maximum firepower roughly equal to an autocannon. It reaches its maximum potency during the day, as sunlight empowers most of his abilities. At night, it is as strong as a normal assault rifle with military rounds.
3 points: Comet of Legend - The main reason Luka has been named the Comet. He is able to take off and fly at the speed of a helicopter, all the while leaving a trail of faint starlight.
1 point: Durability - Luka is able to take a shot from a handgun without issue, though heavier weapons are a serious threat.

Backstory:
Luka Ranogojec was born in Zagreb, Croatia, just a year before the onset of the breakup of Yugoslavia and the resulting civil war that followed. As such, his memory of his homeland only goes as far as the violence and destruction that stemmed from the pent up hatreds between the nations that made up the fragile unity of Yugoslavia. He often says that he was glad that he was just a little kid when it all happened, as he could barely remember what happened back there. Luka mostly knows the war from pictures and videos of the conflict, as his comparatively well off family fled Yugoslavia when he was around three years old. They first went to Italy, and then went on to go towards the United States, eventually settling on New Cottington. Luka grew up in the ways of America, and did not care to even think of returning to Croatia.

When Luka (usually known as Luke by his compatriots) turned 18, that was when the powers that he inherited from his ancestors, at least one of whom had been one of the supes deployed by the Warsaw Pact. Luka's parents told him that that said ancestor was probably a spy back in the old days, or a supe that decided to live a normal life, since they too were surprised when Luka started flying and shooting little beams out of his eyes. It was a parental nightmare.

Despite everything, though, Luka lived a mostly normal life, and finished college with some hefty medals in tow. Nowadays, sometimes he’s a writer for the newspaper. And at other times, he’s a Sentinel.


Looks fine, though bear in mind with armour, that a level one type armour should be penetrable to handguns if hit repeatedly in the same area.

Yes comrade
Protestant ~ RPer ~ House of RepresentaThieves ~ Asian ~ Pro-Life ~ Agent of Chaos ~ Discord: Adeptus Ridiculous#7123
“Those who cannot conceive Friendship as a substantive love but only as a disguise or elaboration of Eros betray the fact that they have never had a Friend." - C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Voxija
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1447
Founded: Jan 17, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Voxija » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:25 pm

Voxija wrote:
Character Description
    Name: Ivy Karin (formerly Irina Karinova)
    Gender: female
    Age: 35 (actually way older)
    Appearance:
    Natalia Poklonskaya crossed with one of Bond's Bond girls. Blonde, tall, looks really good. Of course, that might not be her original appearance.



Superpowers!
Skills and Powers: 3 points- shapeshifting. Ivy can turn into anything of roughly the same mass as her. Mostly into humans, although she has disguised herself as animal, vegetable (mostly small trees and potted plants), and mineral. She is quite skilled and uses it often for infiltration or even to transform into a short person with muscles.

2 points- sniper-level good with guns, mostly Kalashnikovs.

2 points- and knifes.

1 point- and making poisons.


Backsotry:
Ivy Karin was born Irina Karinova in Ivanovo, a small city in European Russia. She grew up to serve the state, follow the rules and drink her vodka straight. Irina joined the party, moved to Moscow, and swiftly rose up the ranks of the Communist Party, at least high enough to know about Operation Red Power, a super soldier program started by Stalin and continued by his successors. Irina volunteered gleefully. She was experimented on, and gained the power of shapeshifting.

Irina became a spy for Soviet Russia in the US, but soon began thinking of defecting. She just began to like America's system better than the USSR's, and [CAPITALIST SHILLING CENSORED]. Before Irina could defect fully, the Soviet Union collapsed. Irina stayed in the US, and changed her name to Ivy Karin. She eventually moved to New Cottington and joined the Sentinels after impressing the leader. She is now second-in-command.


Edited it.
The Republic of Voxija (pronounced: Voshiya)
I'm a woman. Some weird Jew. Trying to learn French and failing. An American who wishes the US would switch to the metric system. Part of a giant conspiracy. Secret pyromaniac? I will never make an OOC factbook!

my politics are confused and muddled
Most of my grammar errors are on purpose. Sppeling errors, tho...
I'd rather be fishing. | Author of Issues 1324 and 1346.
Generic MT liberal democracy Meh. | I think that by now I've created more lore for my nation than most real-world nations have.
Disclaimer: the views of my characters do not necessarily represent the views of the author.

User avatar
Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6308
Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:33 pm

Superb! Guess I should do some work on some characters.

User avatar
Bingellia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 660
Founded: Nov 27, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Bingellia » Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:03 pm

DB once again proving how much of a madlad he is.
You can call me Bing for short.
When in Rome, write a Roman.
Puns are the highest form of humor.
Best NS Bureaucrat 2020

User avatar
Honghai
Attaché
 
Posts: 80
Founded: Dec 31, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Honghai » Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:16 pm

tagging for interest

User avatar
Nachfolgia
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7054
Founded: Jan 19, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Nachfolgia » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:32 pm

Character Description
    Name: Carolyn von Scaufesser
    Gender: Female
    Age: 21
    Appearance




Superpowers!
Skills and Powers:
Tears that Fall ( Level 4): Mustering up the entire strength of her voice, Carolyn sends out a massive sound wave at such high frequencies that is devastating to living beings and structures.

Voice of Angels ( Level 3): A soothing angelic choir coming from Carolyn's voice that eases the mind and heals minor wounds.

Versatility of Sound ( Level 1): Carolyn's voice can manipulate objects as the natural abilities of sound vibrations. Breaking glass and shaking locks loose are a few of the things that can be manipulated.


Backstory:

At first, Carolyn was fortunate to have been born into an affluent family. Daughter of Reginald von Scaufesser, Founder of ScaufVon Tech, Carolyn lived a very comfortable childhood. She had everything she could ever want and didn't have a worry in the world.
At an early age, Carolyn had a passion for singing. Inspired by her father's playing of classical music, she wanted to be a renown singer like those of Luciano Pavarotti and Maria Callas.
Her seemingly loving father helped her cultivate her passion for singing, paying for the best singing coaches and advertising for her performances. Carolyn's dedication to her dream was paying off and she was well on her way to the top as a child singer.

One day, when Carolyn was 16, she passed out during a performance at her private school. She was rushed to the hospital and after several tests she was diagnosed with IPF. Unable to deal with his only child's sudden mortality, Mr. Von Scaufesser utilized all his assets to cure her, including his secret side hustle, creating super soldiers.

Carolyn was transferred from her hospital to an AOHL facility for future treatments. While there, she underwent the worse pain in her life, being subjected to experiment and experiment that altered her body. No matter how much his daughter screamed for him to stop the experiments, Mr. Von Scaufesser was determined to make her his perfect subject. If he could cure her of the disease, he could do anything.

While the chemicals and experiments caused her illness to fade, so too did her eye sight, leaving the area around her eye sockets permanently scarred. She also underwhen other changes, developed super powers that she later found out was the experiments' true intentions.

Unfortunately, Carolyn wasn't the only one being treated like a lab rat. Dozens of other people were being tortured and experimented on my her father. She couldn't come to terms with why he allowed such cruelty and came to the conclusion that her beloved father was truly evil.

As her daughter, Carolyn felt responsible and wanted to help the others anyway she could. She had to help them escape. She planned for months as her powers gained strength. Taking advantage of her lineage, Carolyn was allowed to roam the halls of the facility, albeit with an escort as she was blind. Losing her escort and with a stolen keycard, Carolyn freed many of the people trapped by AOHL. With help from another boy in the program, she and several others escaped the facility and disappeared.
Last edited by Nachfolgia on Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Military Factbook
The best damn alliance to ever grace NS
Strike witches


Accomplished Member of the The Age Of Neophytos RP Group

User avatar
Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6308
Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:45 am

Nachfolgia wrote:
Character Description
    Name: Carolyn von Scaufesser
    Gender: Female
    Age: 21
    Appearance



Looks good to me!

User avatar
Nachfolgia
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7054
Founded: Jan 19, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Nachfolgia » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:27 am

Dyelli Beybi wrote:
Nachfolgia wrote:
Character Description
    Name: Carolyn von Scaufesser
    Gender: Female
    Age: 21
    Appearance



Looks good to me!


Sweet. Much appreciated.

Military Factbook
The best damn alliance to ever grace NS
Strike witches


Accomplished Member of the The Age Of Neophytos RP Group

User avatar
Kazarogkai
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8061
Founded: Jan 27, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:25 pm

Tagging

Definitively interested in seeing how this plays out. I have been in atleast one or two other superhero RPs sadly they didn't go well. Usually they burn out after a couple posts. Not trying to jinx, hope this goes well of course.

Have been mulling a concept in my head of a character. Figured I'd slide it to you to see how well it goes over. What I'm thinking of is a character that is somewhat of a cross of Kirishima(MHA) and Juggernaut(X-Men) combined. More or less. Similarly to the formerly mentioned the basic summary is that they can deflect kinetic energy and would be rather resistant(not invulnerable) to other attacks from foes. But in addition would also have the power to both absorb, to a lesser extinct, and even release it in the form of force via physical touch as an offensive ability. They can not only absorb and deflect said offensive attacks not only from external parties but also from themselves. Similar to Juggernaut somewhat they can while say running or jumping off a building absorb the energy gained from the kinetic force from those acts not only shielding themselves from harm but also potentially gaining power in the process. This can be applied in a number of ways including: allowing him to run or even jump faster and higher via releasing the energy from their feet; Building momentum while charging getting faster and more dangerous in the process, etc. To give an example lets say he was to fall from a rather tall building. Rather than dying or being injured instead he would gain power from the kinetic energy generated from physically falling and landing upon his feet. This could then be a applied to say a punch whose power would be roughly equivalent to the energy gained from falling from said building. Quite effective.

Of course just like the aforementioned Kirishima their would be an upper limit to not only how much energy he could withstand but also how much he could absorb. Greater in the case of the former than the latter. In addition while resisting he has to *harden* that part of his body reducing it's mobility. The result is he can effectively while trying to resist an attack can and will depending on the type be rooted in place. While trying to resist say a bullet he will frequently just to be safe harden the entirety of his body to prevent injury preventing him from moving leaving him in a potentially vulnerable position. In order to mitigate this somewhat he can foregoe hardening his joints which means he can still move(albeit to a somewhat reduced degree) but this can leave him vulnerable in said unprotected parts. Hence a cost benefit situation. Deflect everywhere but at the cost of movement or only situationally leaving parts exposed. In contrast this is not so much an issue with his absorption abilities. But as mentioned he can't absorb as much as he can deflect.

Just laying out my thoughts to see how they go over. Assuming it was Kosher I was thinking of placing the Deflection/Hardening agility at a level 4, and the absorption/release abilities both at a level 2. Ill defer until I get the go ahead.
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
philosophes(not counting Hobbes)
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

User avatar
Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6308
Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:16 pm

Kazarogkai wrote:Tagging

Definitively interested in seeing how this plays out. I have been in atleast one or two other superhero RPs sadly they didn't go well. Usually they burn out after a couple posts. Not trying to jinx, hope this goes well of course.


They might be slow moving, but my RPs tend to last a while.


Kazarogkai wrote:Have been mulling a concept in my head of a character. Figured I'd slide it to you to see how well it goes over. What I'm thinking of is a character that is somewhat of a cross of Kirishima(MHA) and Juggernaut(X-Men) combined. More or less. Similarly to the formerly mentioned the basic summary is that they can deflect kinetic energy and would be rather resistant(not invulnerable) to other attacks from foes. But in addition would also have the power to both absorb, to a lesser extinct, and even release it in the form of force via physical touch as an offensive ability. They can not only absorb and deflect said offensive attacks not only from external parties but also from themselves. Similar to Juggernaut somewhat they can while say running or jumping off a building absorb the energy gained from the kinetic force from those acts not only shielding themselves from harm but also potentially gaining power in the process. This can be applied in a number of ways including: allowing him to run or even jump faster and higher via releasing the energy from their feet; Building momentum while charging getting faster and more dangerous in the process, etc. To give an example lets say he was to fall from a rather tall building. Rather than dying or being injured instead he would gain power from the kinetic energy generated from physically falling and landing upon his feet. This could then be a applied to say a punch whose power would be roughly equivalent to the energy gained from falling from said building. Quite effective.

Of course just like the aforementioned Kirishima their would be an upper limit to not only how much energy he could withstand but also how much he could absorb. Greater in the case of the former than the latter. In addition while resisting he has to *harden* that part of his body reducing it's mobility. The result is he can effectively while trying to resist an attack can and will depending on the type be rooted in place. While trying to resist say a bullet he will frequently just to be safe harden the entirety of his body to prevent injury preventing him from moving leaving him in a potentially vulnerable position. In order to mitigate this somewhat he can foregoe hardening his joints which means he can still move(albeit to a somewhat reduced degree) but this can leave him vulnerable in said unprotected parts. Hence a cost benefit situation. Deflect everywhere but at the cost of movement or only situationally leaving parts exposed. In contrast this is not so much an issue with his absorption abilities. But as mentioned he can't absorb as much as he can deflect.

Just laying out my thoughts to see how they go over. Assuming it was Kosher I was thinking of placing the Deflection/Hardening agility at a level 4, and the absorption/release abilities both at a level 2. Ill defer until I get the go ahead.


I'm not sure I entirely understand how you visualise all of this fitting together but it generally seems fine.

There's a limit, you will notice on how much I'll let people absorb in damage, to avoid anyone getting so stupidly powerful that they're basically invulnerable.
Last edited by Dyelli Beybi on Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
West Bromwich Holme
Diplomat
 
Posts: 614
Founded: Mar 12, 2016
Father Knows Best State

Postby West Bromwich Holme » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:44 pm

This looks interesting! Nice English-sounding name too for your city.

Character Description
    Name: Victoria Annika Malamaisaua Lopamaua-Holmes (also known as Victoria Holmes, Victoria Lopamaua, and pen names of Victoria Taylor, Annika Holmes, Annika Tuputala, Victoria Johnson, Annika Johnson for various works she's written online)
    Gender: Female
    Age: 34
    Appearance:
    Image



Superpowers!
Skills and Powers: (Allocate your 8 points here. Please indicate what they are, what level they are at and -specifically- what you imagine them doing)

4 points - Resurrection: She can die, but hasn't died permanently and can't die permanently... yet. Apparently she gained this ability, how no-one knows.

2 points - Shapeshifting: But she's limited to twenty set forms, and they're only female. Accents are close as normal to the person they are, e.g. a thick Albertan accent for white Albertan woman in her 30s, a young New Hampshire teenage girl who's 19 with a Mid-Atlantic accent. Although the repertoire can expand.

1 points - Technopathy: Good with machines and IT, automotive expert.

1 points - Immune to Mind Control, strong personality.


Backsotry:
(How did you come to be here?)

Born to Samoan-American mother Victoria and a Canadian-American father John in Long Beach, CA on 15 March 1988, she grew up in a white picket-fence neighborhood, not far from Long Beach.

Victoria has four sisters, Jacqueline, Allison ("Allie"), Sabrina and Rebecca, all born in California, except for Sabrina who was born in Manchester, NH.

She is from a wealthy family; Victoria's mother was from a wealthy Samoan-American family who'd lived in California since the 1920s, pre-Depression; her father was from a Canadian family who'd owned lands in Maine and New Hampshire, but he'd moved to California for work having found his small Maine town too remote, and he felt better fitting in with the Cangelenos ("Canadian Los Angelenos").

Victoria speaks English, Samoan and Spanish; she hasn't got the ability to speak French well yet.

She was born with superpowers, how she got them, well, her parents had no idea and still don't, but just rolled with it, deciding "If our daughter's born with what they call special needs or powers that are weird, we gotta roll with it, regardless of discrimination. After all, Vicki can't escape racism for being brown-skinned, no matter how much she complains".

She moved to New Cottington for her mom's new job, despite the fact she enjoyed in living in California and was a true California girl through and through.

Very girly in behavior and outlook, she was dismissed in her teens for not being trendy enough and too much of a geek, even though her passion for fashion was genuine. She couldn't fit in with tomboyish girls because they considered her too feminine despite her expertise in automobiles; one friend described her as "a humanized version of Motor Trend or Consumer Guide".

Victoria is a freelancer and fixer, providing knowledge to those who can afford it, but she has a strong moral compass, lines she won't cross. She won't kill someone, even if it could help. Basically, she's a businesswoman.

Although she's a fixer, not that kind of fixer; nothing illegal to the point of murder, just gray areas, but most of the requests she gets to be a fixer are for mundane things.

She also has her own Depop shop selling vintage clothes.

She owns a second home in Southern California, and AirBnB's a residence in London, England. Although she's considering getting a third residence in Toronto to replace the London one.

Victoria has dual U.S and Canadian citizenship, and speaks with a hybrid Californian-Torontonian accent, with her having a Southern Californian accent like in Long Beach, mixed with some Torontonian. People can't place where she's from sometimes due to her accent shifting, and use of Canadian phrases intermingled with other local dialect that's Californian.

Victoria is a likeable, kind person who enjoys helping people but thought she couldn't be a superhero, ironically, she never knew she had the abilities to be one.
Pronouns now she/her, no longer he/him
Formerly Astholm. I am no longer using the account.
Rebooted continuity ; March 2016
This nation is no longer in use; have switched account. All posts are left for historical purposes on here.

User avatar
The United Federation of Terrans
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1812
Founded: Aug 26, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The United Federation of Terrans » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:20 pm

Character Description


Superpowers!
Skills and Powers:
Reflexes-2 points: Greene's reflexes are towards the top tier of baseline human's; allowing for quicker then normal reaction times and improved fighting skills. But he is still human and lags behind those of the same level, barely, but enough that he would have trouble keeping up.

Armor- 3 points: Green wears next generation MAV-19 "Gator" armor. It is more durable then most conventional armor systems and also acts as a HEV suit in a pinch. It
allows Greene to barely keep up with his powered fellows and survive a respectable amount of otherwise lethal damage.

Marksmanship- 2 Point: Greene is a decent shot with a rifle but prefers the use of a pistol when applicable. Capable of outshooting most conventional forces, Greenes effectiveness varies depending on the Super Powered threats.

Surveillance- 1 Point: An experienced field operative, Greene knows a varying amount of techniques such as tailing, wire-tapping, and stake outs. However, while experienced at them he is by no means the best at them and knows them purely from repetition and past experiences.


Backstory:
Raised in El Paso, Texas; Jason Green was the youngest son of a Texas Ranger and an ER Nurse. Practically raised by his older brother and sister; Jason was otherwise unremarkable for most of his childhood. The only point of uniqueness was his love of gunslinging; joining up with other local kids to plink away at cans on fences with family revolvers. Jason was a local legend for a few of his juvenile feats but nothing that made him stand out to the world at large.He graduated high school with average grades and little prospects beyond roadwork or the military.

Jason enlisted with the Army and completed Ranger and Jump school. Eventually touring with the 75th Ranger Battalion for a few years before catching the eyes of the CIA over a the capture of an elusive target. Jason was given the opportunity of joining the ranks of the SAD, the CIA's paramiliatry wing; a chance he jumped at. Jason thus began a tour of South America courtesy of the CIA; kicking in doors and breaching compounds throughout the region. His operations took him from sprawling slums to hostile jungles; sometimes with not all of his fellows surviving the mission. However his results were indisputable and usually in the CIA's favor. Building him a reputation as a dependable operator. Jason was then "rewarded" for his effectiveness and shifted stateside into an elite unit that only responded incases of extreme emergencies.

A year and half later; Jason's team had yet to be deployed when a new situation had come up. The New Cottington Sentinels had crashed into a DHS-CIA joint surveillance operation; thinking it to be a regular weapons smuggling ring. The information recovered was made worthless, five undercover agents were killed, and the operation was made public. While the politicians did damage control; the CIA came up with an under the table solution. To avoid aggravating the supporters of the Sentinels (and the Sentinels themselves) the CIA would let bygones be bygones; if they took on a liaison. The liaison would accompany them in the field and ensure they did't jeopardize anymore classified operations. They would also assist the team to the best of their abilities, all the while being officially disavowed, given the the vigilante status of the Sentinel.

Jason was selected and given the latest generation of equipment the CIA considered "expendable" before being shipped off to the Sentinels. A duffel bag full of equipment, a backpack of clothes and a single phone number for his reports and requests as his only belongings.
My travels take me many places, from the scorching sands to the cold, dark vacuum of space. But I always return to my friends and family at The Pub.

User avatar
Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6308
Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:22 am

West Bromwich Holme wrote:This looks interesting! Nice English-sounding name too for your city.

Character Description
    Name: Victoria Annika Malamaisaua Lopamaua-Holmes (also known as Victoria Holmes, Victoria Lopamaua, and pen names of Victoria Taylor, Annika Holmes, Annika Tuputala, Victoria Johnson, Annika Johnson for various works she's written online)
    Gender: Female
    Age: 34
    Appearance:


Superpowers!
Skills and Powers: (Allocate your 8 points here. Please indicate what they are, what level they are at and -specifically- what you imagine them doing)

4 points - Resurrection: She can die, but hasn't died permanently and can't die permanently... yet. Apparently she gained this ability, how no-one knows.

2 points - Shapeshifting: But she's limited to twenty set forms, and they're only female. Accents are close as normal to the person they are, e.g. a thick Albertan accent for white Albertan woman in her 30s, a young New Hampshire teenage girl who's 19 with a Mid-Atlantic accent. Although the repertoire can expand.

1 points - Technopathy: Good with machines and IT, automotive expert.

1 points - Immune to Mind Control, strong personality.


Accepted... however, I think you can beef this character up a bit.

I think you can keep the Immune to Mind Control thing as a zero pointer. I wasn't planning to run a mind control villain because it feels a bit mean to take player agency away.

With the no dying, if getting shot keeps Victoria down for the rest of the scene while your body does whatever to heal itself, then you can take it down to a three.

So that would give you a couple more points to play with if you want!

User avatar
Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6308
Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:24 am

The United Federation of Terrans wrote:
Character Description


Superpowers!
Skills and Powers:
Reflexes-2 points: Greene's reflexes are towards the top tier of baseline human's; allowing for quicker then normal reaction times and improved fighting skills. But he is still human and lags behind those of the same level, barely, but enough that he would have trouble keeping up.

Armor- 3 points: Green wears next generation MAV-19 "Gator" armor. It is more durable then most conventional armor systems and also acts as a HEV suit in a pinch. It
allows Greene to barely keep up with his powered fellows and survive a respectable amount of otherwise lethal damage.

Marksmanship- 2 Point: Greene is a decent shot with a rifle but prefers the use of a pistol when applicable. Capable of outshooting most conventional forces, Greenes effectiveness varies depending on the Super Powered threats.

Surveillance- 1 Point: An experienced field operative, Greene knows a varying amount of techniques such as tailing, wire-tapping, and stake outs. However, while experienced at them he is by no means the best at them and knows them purely from repetition and past experiences.


Accepted!

A bit underpowered, but we're discussed that.

Lol, who'd have thought I'd be telling people to increase their power levels!

User avatar
West Bromwich Holme
Diplomat
 
Posts: 614
Founded: Mar 12, 2016
Father Knows Best State

Postby West Bromwich Holme » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:00 am

Dyelli Beybi wrote:Accepted... however, I think you can beef this character up a bit.

I think you can keep the Immune to Mind Control thing as a zero pointer. I wasn't planning to run a mind control villain because it feels a bit mean to take player agency away.

With the no dying, if getting shot keeps Victoria down for the rest of the scene while your body does whatever to heal itself, then you can take it down to a three.

So that would give you a couple more points to play with if you want!


Thank you. What would I need to do to improve her? I've not really participated in superhero RP's before, so this is a first-time on here for me.

As a character, is she interesting enough to have in some situations?

Note that i may not be available some days to post every 48 hours but will still be active.
Last edited by West Bromwich Holme on Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pronouns now she/her, no longer he/him
Formerly Astholm. I am no longer using the account.
Rebooted continuity ; March 2016
This nation is no longer in use; have switched account. All posts are left for historical purposes on here.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Advertisement

Remove ads