NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] LGBTIQA+ Inclusiveness in Schools Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
User avatar
Apatosaurus
Diplomat
 
Posts: 944
Founded: Jul 17, 2020
Liberal Democratic Socialists

[PASSED] LGBTIQA+ Inclusiveness in Schools Act

Postby Apatosaurus » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:33 pm

OOC: Hi, I've been sitting on this draft for a while but decided to pursue it now after hearing that apparently it's "leftist indoctrination" for schools to teach that people's gender is not necessarily their birth sex, combined with personal experiences on the subject, especially now with On Paid Leave and Access To Euthanasia Services out of the way. Feedback is appreciated :)

This has now become GAR#603!

Character count: 3512

Co-author: Evinea

Discrimination and harassment against the LGBTIQA+ community in schools, such as targetting of LGBTIQA+ students and homophobic hate speech, is a widespread problem in some member states, denying LGBTIQA+ students a safe and healthy education experience in such member states. Such discrimination and harassment can also create undue pressure on LGBTIQA+ students to conceal their sexuality or gender identity. Furthermore, some schools still take little to no action against homophobia within their schools, or merely engage in "lip service" against homophobia in the absence of strong legislation protecting LGBTIQA+ students.

Now, therefore, be it enacted as follows:
  1. For the purposes of this resolution, these terms are defined as follows:
    1. A “school” is defined as an institution designed for the organised education of students by providing learning spaces and environments.

    2. “Hate speech” is defined as public speech which expresses, whether explicitly or implicitly, hate or discrimination towards a certain group; this includes, but is not limited to, the use of slurs against said group.
  2. All member states must require schools within their jurisdiction to:
    1. teach bona fide to students under the age of majority if they have any, as part of their curriculum and appropriately to the ages of said students:
      1. how sexual orientation, romantic orientation and gender identity are defined, developed and experienced, including but not limited to the fact that sexual orientation, romantic orientation and gender identity of individuals are beyond their conscious control, as well as that variance in sexual orientation, romantic orientation and gender identity is normal and natural,

      2. that individuals should not be considered to be “mentally ill”, “confused” or otherwise insane on the basis of their sexual orientation, romantic orientation or gender identity,

      3. that non-heterosexual relationships are equal to heterosexual ones, and

      4. that one's gender is determined by their gender identity, rather than their sex assigned at birth;
    2. offer resources to their students to:
      1. assist them in questioning or determining their sexual orientation, romantic orientation or gender identity,

      2. assist them in accepting and coming to terms with their sexual orientation, romantic orientation or gender identity,

      3. help them deal with harassment or discrimination for their sexual or romantic orientation or gender identity, and

      4. otherwise support the mental health of students with diverse sexual or romantic orientations or gender identity;
    3. actively and continuously work to prevent and take action against all forms of harassment of their students based on their sexual orientation, romantic orientation, gender identity, gender expression or sex assigned at birth, or perception thereof, and also encourage their students to report and try to stop such harassment should it occur; and

    4. actively and continuously work to prevent, and take action against any occurrences which they are aware of, hate speech by their students against groups based on their sexual orientation, romantic orientation, gender identity, gender expression or sex assigned at birth.
  3. All member states must prohibit schools within their jurisdiction from discriminating against students on the basis of their sexual orientation, romantic orientation, gender identity, gender expression or sex assigned at birth.


Discrimination and harassment against the LGBTIQA+ community in schools, such as targetting of LGBTIQA+ students and homophobic hate speech, is a widespread problem in some member states, denying LGBTIQA+ students a safe and healthy education experience in such member states. Such discrimination and harassment can also create undue pressure on LGBTIQA+ students to conceal their sexuality or gender identity. Furthermore, some schools still take little to no action against homophobia within their schools or merely engage in tokenism against homophobia in the absence of strong legislation protecting LGBTIQA+ students.

Now, therefore, be it enacted as follows:
  1. For the purposes of this resolution these terms shall be defined as follows:
    1. A “school” is defined as an institution designed for the organised education of students by providing learning spaces and environments.

    2. “Hate speech” is defined as public speech or opinion which expresses, whether explicitly or implicitly, hate or discrimination towards a certain group; this includes, but is not limited to, the use of slurs against said group.
  2. All member states must require schools within their jurisdiction to:
    1. teach bona fide to students under the age of majority if they have any, as part of their curriculum and appropriately to the ages of said students:
      1. how sexual orientation, romantic orientation and gender identity are defined, developed and experienced, including but not limited to the fact that sexual orientation, romantic orientation and gender identity of individuals are beyond their conscious control, as well as that variance in sexual orientation, romantic orientation and gender identity is normal and natural,

      2. that individuals should not be considered to be “mentally ill”, “confused” or otherwise insane on the basis of their sexual orientation, romantic orientation or gender identity,

      3. that non-heterosexual relationships are equal to heterosexual ones, and

      4. that one's gender is determined by their gender identity, rather than their sex assigned at birth;
    2. offer resources to their students to:
      1. assist them in questioning or determining their sexual orientation, romantic orientation or gender identity,

      2. assist them in accepting and coming to terms with their sexual orientation, romantic orientation or gender identity,

      3. help them deal with harassment or discrimination for their sexual or romantic orientation or gender identity, and

      4. otherwise support the mental health of students with diverse sexual or romantic orientations or gender identity;
    3. actively and continuously work to prevent and take action against all forms of harassment of students based on their sexual orientation, romantic orientation, gender identity, gender expression or sex assigned at birth, or perception thereof, and also encourage their students to report and try to stop such harassment should it occur; and

    4. actively and continuously work to prevent and take action against hate speech against individuals based on their sexual orientation, romantic orientation, gender identity, gender expression or sex assigned at birth.
  3. Member states must require schools within their jurisdiction to fully permit and provide any necessary assistance and support which they can reasonably immediately provide to:
    1. student-led organisations operating solely to provide resources and/or a safe environment for students with varying sexual orientation, romantic orientation, gender identity or gender expression, unless said organisation is verifiably causing disruption through deliberate actions unrelated to providing such resources or a safe environment, and

    2. any other program operating within that school designed solely to support the mental health of students with varying sexual or romantic orientation or gender identity or expression, unless said organisation is verifiably causing disruption through deliberate actions unrelated to supporting mental health of such students.

Discrimination and harassment against the LGBTIQA+ community in schools, such as targetting of LGBTIQA+ students and homophobic hate speech, is a widespread problem in some member states, denying LGBTIQA+ individuals a safe and healthy education experience in such member states. Such discrimination and harassment can also cause undue pressure on LGBTIQA+ students to conceal their sexuality or gender identity. Furthermore, some schools still take little to no action against homophobia within their schools, or merely engage in “lip service” against homophobia, in the absence of strong legislation protecting LGBTIQA+ students.

Now, therefore, be it enacted as follows:
  1. For the purposes of this resolution, these terms shall be defined as follows:
    1. A “school” is defined as an institution designed for the organised education of students by providing learning spaces and environments.

    2. “Hate speech” is defined as public speech which expresses, whether explicitly or implicitly, hate or discrimination towards a certain group; this includes, but is not limited to, the use of slurs against said group.
  2. All schools that have students under the age of majority must, as part of their curriculum, teach bona fide to students under the age of majority, appropriately to the ages of said students:
    1. how sexual orientation, romantic orientation and gender identity are defined, developed and experienced, including but not limited to the fact that sexual orientation, romantic orientation and gender identity of individuals are beyond their conscious control, as well as that variance in sexual orientation, romantic orientation and gender identity is normal and natural,

    2. that individuals should not be considered to be “mentally ill”, “confused” or otherwise insane on the basis of their sexual orientation, romantic orientation or gender identity,

    3. that same-sex relationships are equal to opposite-sex ones, and

    4. that one's gender is determined by their gender identity, rather than their sex assigned at birth.
  3. All schools must also offer resources to their students to:
    1. assist them in questioning or determining their sexual orientation, romantic orientation or gender identity,

    2. assist them in accepting and coming to terms with their sexual orientation, romantic orientation or gender identity,

    3. help them deal with harassment or discrimination for their sexual or romantic orientation or gender identity, and

    4. otherwise support the mental health of students with diverse sexual or romantic orientations or gender identity.
  4. No school may take action against:
    1. student-led organisations operating solely to provide resources and/or a safe environment for students with varying sexual orientation, romantic orientation, gender identity or gender expression, or

    2. any other program designed solely to support the mental health of students with varying sexual or romantic orientation or gender identity or expression.

  5. All schools must take action to prevent all forms of harassment of students based on their sexual orientation, romantic orientation, gender identity, gender expression or sex assigned at birth, or perception thereof. All schools must also encourage their students to report or try to prevent incidents of such harassment, should they occur. Furthermore, schools must take action to prevent hate speech against individuals based on their sexual orientation, romantic orientation, gender identity, gender expression or sex assigned at birth.


Discrimination and harassment against the LGBTIQA+ community in schools, such as targetting of LGBTIQA+ students and homophobic hate speech, is a widespread problem in some member states, denying LGBTIQA+ individuals a safe and healthy education experience in such member states. Such discrimination and harassment can also cause undue pressure on LGBTIQA+ students to conceal their sexuality or gender identity. Furthermore, some schools still take little to no action against homophobia within their schools, or merely engage in “lip service” against homophobia, in the absence of strong legislation protecting LGBTIQA+ students.

Now, therefore, be it enacted as follows:
  1. For the purposes of this resolution, these terms shall be defined as follows:
    1. A “school” is defined as an institution designed for the organised education of students by providing learning spaces and environments.

    2. “Hate speech” is defined as public speech that expresses, whether explicitly or implicitly, hate or discrimination towards a certain group; this includes, but is not limited to, the use of slurs against said group.
  2. All schools that have students under the age of majority must, as part of their curriculum, teach bona fide to students under the age of majority appropriately to the ages of said students:
    1. how sexual orientation, romantic orientation and gender identity are defined, developed and experienced, including but not limited to the fact that sexual orientation, romantic orientation and gender identity of individuals are beyond their conscious control, as well as that variance in sexual orientation, romantic orientation and gender identity is normal and natural,

    2. that individuals should not be considered to be “mentally ill”, “confused” or otherwise insane on the basis of their sexual orientation, romantic orientation or gender identity,

    3. that same-sex relationships are equal to opposite-sex ones, and

    4. that one's gender is determined by their gender identity rather than their sex assigned at birth.
  3. All schools must also offer resources to their students to assist them in questioning or determining their sexual orientation, romantic orientation or gender identity.

  4. All schools must take action to prevent all forms of harassment of students based on their sexual orientation, romantic orientation, gender identity, gender expression or sex assigned at birth.

  5. Furthermore, schools must take action to prevent hate speech against individuals based on their sexual orientation, romantic orientation, gender identity, gender expression or sex assigned at birth.
[/list]
Last edited by Apatosaurus on Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:13 pm, edited 36 times in total.
This signature stands with Palestine.

End the continued practice of bombing houses, museums, refugee camps, ambulances, and churches.
WA Ambassador: Ambrose Scott; further detail on WA delegation in factbooks. Nation overview.

User avatar
Minskiev
Minister
 
Posts: 2423
Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Minskiev » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:37 pm

I feel like...this is covered somewhere? If not, I wish you would de-list the preamble. Also, at what age is appropriate to teach 2b? It seems like a big loophole if that one, in particular, is intentionally taught late rather than early.

Edit: 3 is also a little weird. "Must assist them in questioning their orientation" flat out? Like, not even if they don't ask?
Last edited by Minskiev on Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minskiev/Walrus. Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms, 3x Officer. 15x WA author. Join the RRA here.

User avatar
Apatosaurus
Diplomat
 
Posts: 944
Founded: Jul 17, 2020
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Apatosaurus » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:47 pm

Minskiev wrote:I feel like...this is covered somewhere?

"GAR#514 partially covers Section 4, but only if said homophobic harassment is reported by a parent. Other than that, we have not found any possible other source of duplication."

Minskiev wrote:If not, I wish you would de-list the preamble.

"This has been fixed."

Minskiev wrote:Also, at what age is appropriate to teach 2b? It seems like a big loophole if that one, in particular, is intentionally taught late rather than early.

"Fair enough, we will make changes to address this."

Minskiev wrote:Edit: 3 is also a little weird. "Must assist them in questioning their orientation" flat out? Like, not even if they don't ask?

"The relevant section says that "schools must offer resources", not "schools must require their students to take resources" or something."
This signature stands with Palestine.

End the continued practice of bombing houses, museums, refugee camps, ambulances, and churches.
WA Ambassador: Ambrose Scott; further detail on WA delegation in factbooks. Nation overview.

User avatar
The Unified Missourtama States
Diplomat
 
Posts: 670
Founded: Jul 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Unified Missourtama States » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:52 pm

The title could be a lot better, as this does more than just "reducing homophobia in schools." Secondly, you don't define "sexual orientation," "romantic orientation," and "gender identity." You should also put an Oxford comma where those three terms are mentioned. Overall this proposal just seems like "lip service," so I think a fail on relevance if this were to be passed.
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
" (W. B. Yeats)

User avatar
Apatosaurus
Diplomat
 
Posts: 944
Founded: Jul 17, 2020
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Apatosaurus » Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:29 pm

The Unified Missourtama States wrote:The title could be a lot better, as this does more than just "reducing homophobia in schools."

"The title has been changed to " LGBTIQA+ Inclusiveness in Schools Act"."

The Unified Missourtama States wrote:Secondly, you don't define "sexual orientation," "romantic orientation," and "gender identity."

"Is defining those terms actually necessary? Excluding bad faith interpretations (which are already outlawed) there exists little potential for vagueness on what "sexual orientation" or "gender identity" is."

The Unified Missourtama States wrote:You should also put an Oxford comma where those three terms are mentioned.

"The use of the serial comma is not customary in Apatosaurus."

The Unified Missourtama States wrote:Overall this proposal just seems like "lip service," so I think a fail on relevance if this were to be passed.

"How? Unlike actual lip service, this actually does take action to promote inclusiveness of LGBTIQA+ in schools."
This signature stands with Palestine.

End the continued practice of bombing houses, museums, refugee camps, ambulances, and churches.
WA Ambassador: Ambrose Scott; further detail on WA delegation in factbooks. Nation overview.

User avatar
Hulldom
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1530
Founded: Nov 16, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Hulldom » Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:31 pm

Why not just mandate sex ed? You could kill two birds with one stone.
...And I feel like I'm clinging to a cloud!

User avatar
Attempted Socialism
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1662
Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Attempted Socialism » Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:37 pm

I'm in favour of the project, best of luck on the work.

A few things stand out, though. The title doesn't reflect everything you want to do in the resolution, as this is more than what I would understand as simple inclusiveness. Maybe that's a nitpick though. Clause 4 and 5 feel clunky to me. In my mind's eye I see a bully fill out a harassment permission slip that the school could permit or not. Can you phrase it in a more active way, ala "school employees must intervene in cases of ...", "must work to prevent" or something like that?
I am also torn about your definition of school, because while school doesn't stop at the age of majority (AFAIK highschool in the US also includes 18-19 year olds), I don't want it to be a university's responsibility to include e.g. gender identity etc. in the curriculum of every course. But the clauses about resources and stopping harassment or hate speech could easily include the last year(s) of highschool and university. If you can work in that clause 2 should be taught during general schooling and 3-5 also applies to institutions of higher learning, then I think it would be an improvement.

Edit: And I forgot to mention, the several sentence introduction alongside the usual short sentence clauses doesn't work for me. I don't mind a different take on the way to write treaties (And I'm not a fan of the run-on sentence convention outside the GA), but the inconsistency irks me.
Last edited by Attempted Socialism on Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.


Represented in the World Assembly by Ambassador Robert Mortimer Pride, called The Regicide
Assume OOC unless otherwise indicated. My WA Authorship.
Cui Bono, quod seipsos custodes custodiunt?
Bobberino: "The academic tone shines through."
Who am I in real life, my opinions and notes
My NS career

User avatar
Thousand Branches
Diplomat
 
Posts: 754
Founded: Jun 03, 2021
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Thousand Branches » Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:07 pm

Hulldom wrote:Why not just mandate sex ed? You could kill two birds with one stone.

Sex ed is in fact, already mandated as per GAR#369
|| Aramantha Calendula ||
○•○ Writer, editor, and World Assembly fanatic ○•○
•○• Proud member of House Elegarth •○•
○•○ Telegram or message me on discord at QueenAramantha for writing or editing help ○•○
•○• Failed General Assembly Resolutions Archive || The Grand (Newspaper Archive) •○•
○•○ Have an awesome day you! ○•○

User avatar
Hulldom
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1530
Founded: Nov 16, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Hulldom » Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:10 pm

Thousand Branches wrote:
Hulldom wrote:Why not just mandate sex ed? You could kill two birds with one stone.

Sex ed is in fact, already mandated as per GAR#369

Ah, never mind me then, carry on.
...And I feel like I'm clinging to a cloud!

User avatar
Minskiev
Minister
 
Posts: 2423
Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Minskiev » Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:15 pm

To make this prettier, remove the spaces in between bullet points. In fact, all clauses after the hereby should be consecutive, such as:
1.
a.
b.
c.
2.
a.
b.
c.
d.
e.
3
4
5
Minskiev/Walrus. Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms, 3x Officer. 15x WA author. Join the RRA here.

User avatar
Apatosaurus
Diplomat
 
Posts: 944
Founded: Jul 17, 2020
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Apatosaurus » Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:39 pm

Hulldom wrote:Why not just mandate sex ed? You could kill two birds with one stone.

"As pointed out by the ambassador of Thousand Branches, sex education is already at least partially covered by GAR#369, which mandates that "all general education services in member states to guarantee that all their students who are experiencing reproductive maturation ... are educated through a reproductive education course on the nature of their species's reproduction"."

Attempted Socialism wrote:I'm in favour of the project, best of luck on the work.

"We thank the delegation from Attempted Socialism for their support."

Attempted Socialism wrote:A few things stand out, though. The title doesn't reflect everything you want to do in the resolution, as this is more than what I would understand as simple inclusiveness. Maybe that's a nitpick though.

"We chose to go with this title as per the feedback on the title provided by the Missourtaman delegation (the previous title was "Reducing Homophobia in Schools"). I would agree that the scope does go beyond "Inclusiveness", but I also am unsure what alternative title to use; the Apatosaurusian Delegation will consider a change in title."

Attempted Socialism wrote:Clause 4 and 5 feel clunky to me. In my mind's eye I see a bully fill out a harassment permission slip that the school could permit or not. Can you phrase it in a more active way, ala "school employees must intervene in cases of ...", "must work to prevent" or something like that?

"This is done."

Attempted Socialism wrote:I am also torn about your definition of school, because while school doesn't stop at the age of majority (AFAIK highschool in the US also includes 18-19 year olds), I don't want it to be a university's responsibility to include e.g. gender identity etc. in the curriculum of every course. But the clauses about resources and stopping harassment or hate speech could easily include the last year(s) of highschool and university. If you can work in that clause 2 should be taught during general schooling and 3-5 also applies to institutions of higher learning, then I think it would be an improvement.

"The issues with universities is the reason that adult schools were not included. This is fixed, however."

Attempted Socialism wrote:Edit: And I forgot to mention, the several sentence introduction alongside the usual short sentence clauses doesn't work for me. I don't mind a different take on the way to write treaties (And I'm not a fan of the run-on sentence convention outside the GA), but the inconsistency irks me.

"How is it inconsistent, and where does it use the one-sentence-with-clauses format? The whole proposal is written in the format of several sentences, while the active clauses are in a list and the preamble is in a paragraph."

Minskiev wrote:-snip-

OOC: The spaces help it read cleaner without being all compressed with no spaces between bullet points.
Last edited by Apatosaurus on Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This signature stands with Palestine.

End the continued practice of bombing houses, museums, refugee camps, ambulances, and churches.
WA Ambassador: Ambrose Scott; further detail on WA delegation in factbooks. Nation overview.

User avatar
Attempted Socialism
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1662
Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Attempted Socialism » Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:59 pm

Apatosaurus wrote:
Attempted Socialism wrote:I'm in favour of the project, best of luck on the work.

"We than the delegation from Attempted Socialism for their support."

Attempted Socialism wrote:A few things stand out, though. The title doesn't reflect everything you want to do in the resolution, as this is more than what I would understand as simple inclusiveness. Maybe that's a nitpick though.

"We chose to go with this title as per the feedback on the title provided by the Missourtaman delegation (the previous title was "Reducing Homophobia in Schools"). I would agree that the scope does go beyond "Inclusiveness", but I also am unsure what alternative title to use; the Apatosaurusian Delegation will consider a change in title."

Attempted Socialism wrote:Clause 4 and 5 feel clunky to me. In my mind's eye I see a bully fill out a harassment permission slip that the school could permit or not. Can you phrase it in a more active way, ala "school employees must intervene in cases of ...", "must work to prevent" or something like that?

"This is done."

Attempted Socialism wrote:I am also torn about your definition of school, because while school doesn't stop at the age of majority (AFAIK highschool in the US also includes 18-19 year olds), I don't want it to be a university's responsibility to include e.g. gender identity etc. in the curriculum of every course. But the clauses about resources and stopping harassment or hate speech could easily include the last year(s) of highschool and university. If you can work in that clause 2 should be taught during general schooling and 3-5 also applies to institutions of higher learning, then I think it would be an improvement.

"The issues with universities is the reason that adult schools were not included. This is fixed, however."

Attempted Socialism wrote:Edit: And I forgot to mention, the several sentence introduction alongside the usual short sentence clauses doesn't work for me. I don't mind a different take on the way to write treaties (And I'm not a fan of the run-on sentence convention outside the GA), but the inconsistency irks me.

"How is it inconsistent, and where does it use the one-sentence-with-clauses format? The whole proposal is written in the format of several sentences, while the active clauses are in a list and the preamble is in a paragraph."

OOC: Excellent edits; especially the addition to clause 2. I will note, though, that I wasn't IC for that post (My IC ambassador wouldn't reference US schools). Regarding the title, I don't have a good idea. I was sort of remarking on the earlier discussion, since it came to mind when reading your reply to their suggestion. As for the last bit, it's exactly the preamble being a paragraph and the rest of the text being short sentences that I am (Granted, nit-)picking at. I didn't mean to imply that you're using the run-on sentence, or that it's the correct and only, convention. If you like the style then disregard me on that one, it's not a dealbreaker for me.


Represented in the World Assembly by Ambassador Robert Mortimer Pride, called The Regicide
Assume OOC unless otherwise indicated. My WA Authorship.
Cui Bono, quod seipsos custodes custodiunt?
Bobberino: "The academic tone shines through."
Who am I in real life, my opinions and notes
My NS career

User avatar
Untecna
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5339
Founded: Jun 02, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:01 pm

I like it, but I think the title needs work. Remove "act" as a word in it, the title like that will work just fine...
Dragon with internet access. I am coming for your data. More for the hoard.
NFL Team: 49rs
California is the best is the worst is kinda okay
Issues Author (#1520) | Failed GA Resolution Author

User avatar
Gelth Confederacy
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 105
Founded: Dec 07, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Gelth Confederacy » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:04 pm

As someone who ruled in favor of same-sex marriages in my nation, I look forward to voting against this degeneracy.

User avatar
Apatosaurus
Diplomat
 
Posts: 944
Founded: Jul 17, 2020
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Apatosaurus » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:08 pm

Gelth Confederacy wrote:As someone who ruled in favor of same-sex marriages in my nation, I look forward to voting against this degeneracy.

OOC: ... This is to protect LGBTIQA+ rights.

Untecna wrote:I like it, but I think the title needs work. Remove "act" as a word in it, the title like that will work just fine...

"That's largely there for purposes of the abbreviation in the title."

Attempted Socialism wrote:OOC: Excellent edits; especially the addition to clause 2. I will note, though, that I wasn't IC for that post (My IC ambassador wouldn't reference US schools). Regarding the title, I don't have a good idea. I was sort of remarking on the earlier discussion, since it came to mind when reading your reply to their suggestion. As for the last bit, it's exactly the preamble being a paragraph and the rest of the text being short sentences that I am (Granted, nit-)picking at. I didn't mean to imply that you're using the run-on sentence, or that it's the correct and only, convention. If you like the style then disregard me on that one, it's not a dealbreaker for me.


OOC: Yeah I'll think on a title; I chose to go with LISA because of (1) the abbreviation in title and (2) nicely summarises the aim of this proposal, but if I can think of a better title I will change it :) As to the formatting, oh I see what you mean now. I had it in a list before, then Minskiev said to get rid of the list :P
Last edited by Apatosaurus on Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This signature stands with Palestine.

End the continued practice of bombing houses, museums, refugee camps, ambulances, and churches.
WA Ambassador: Ambrose Scott; further detail on WA delegation in factbooks. Nation overview.

User avatar
Andronya
Envoy
 
Posts: 333
Founded: Aug 14, 2021
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Andronya » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:08 pm

And people wonder why I left the World Assembly...
Andronya: Your tropical paradise.

User avatar
Minskiev
Minister
 
Posts: 2423
Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Minskiev » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:14 pm

Err. I was thinking more like

"Observing that discrimination in schools etc. etc.

Noting that this leads to etc. etc.

Seeing that something needs to be done about etc. etc., hereby:"

Instead of
"Knowing that:
  1. Discrimination etc.
  2. This results in etc.
  3. Something needs to be done about etc.
hereby:"
Minskiev/Walrus. Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms, 3x Officer. 15x WA author. Join the RRA here.

User avatar
The United Holy Orders
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 25
Founded: Feb 08, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby The United Holy Orders » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:15 pm

Andronya wrote:And people wonder why I left the World Assembly...




Same tbh.

User avatar
Apatosaurus
Diplomat
 
Posts: 944
Founded: Jul 17, 2020
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Apatosaurus » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:17 pm

Minskiev wrote:Err. I was thinking more like

"Observing that discrimination in schools etc. etc.

Noting that this leads to etc. etc.

Seeing that something needs to be done about etc. etc., hereby:"

Instead of
"Knowing that:
  1. Discrimination etc.
  2. This results in etc.
  3. Something needs to be done about etc.
hereby:"

"The point was to experiment with preambles that are not one massive sentence."
This signature stands with Palestine.

End the continued practice of bombing houses, museums, refugee camps, ambulances, and churches.
WA Ambassador: Ambrose Scott; further detail on WA delegation in factbooks. Nation overview.

User avatar
Minskiev
Minister
 
Posts: 2423
Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Minskiev » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:19 pm

Apatosaurus wrote:
Minskiev wrote:Err. I was thinking more like

"Observing that discrimination in schools etc. etc.

Noting that this leads to etc. etc.

Seeing that something needs to be done about etc. etc., hereby:"

Instead of
"Knowing that:
  1. Discrimination etc.
  2. This results in etc.
  3. Something needs to be done about etc.
hereby:"

"The point was to experiment with preambles that are not one massive sentence."

"Exarfctly, arf arf no marfssive sentence arf no list arf prearfmble, arf arf conventionarf arf normarf prearfmble."
Minskiev/Walrus. Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms, 3x Officer. 15x WA author. Join the RRA here.

User avatar
Apatosaurus
Diplomat
 
Posts: 944
Founded: Jul 17, 2020
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Apatosaurus » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:25 pm

Minskiev wrote:
Apatosaurus wrote:"The point was to experiment with preambles that are not one massive sentence."

"Exarfctly, arf arf no marfssive sentence arf no list arf prearfmble, arf arf conventionarf arf normarf prearfmble."

"By normarf prearfmble, you mean harfving the prearfmble arfs one marfssive sentence."

"Sorry, that was me trying to speak walrussian."
This signature stands with Palestine.

End the continued practice of bombing houses, museums, refugee camps, ambulances, and churches.
WA Ambassador: Ambrose Scott; further detail on WA delegation in factbooks. Nation overview.

User avatar
Tinhampton
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13483
Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:25 pm

Alexander Smith, Tinhamptonian Delegate-Ambassador to the World Assembly: The Tinhamptonian delegation cannot support the proposed Act. In particular, the World Assembly should not be requiring schools in particular to crack down on "hate speech" when it has not passed an overarching law on the subject in the first place - although I will admit that we would oppose such a law, as well.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

User avatar
Untecna
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5339
Founded: Jun 02, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:28 pm

Apatosaurus wrote:
Gelth Confederacy wrote:As someone who ruled in favor of same-sex marriages in my nation, I look forward to voting against this degeneracy.

OOC: ... This is to protect LGBTIQA+ rights.

Untecna wrote:I like it, but I think the title needs work. Remove "act" as a word in it, the title like that will work just fine...

"That's largely there for purposes of the abbreviation in the title."

Attempted Socialism wrote:OOC: Excellent edits; especially the addition to clause 2. I will note, though, that I wasn't IC for that post (My IC ambassador wouldn't reference US schools). Regarding the title, I don't have a good idea. I was sort of remarking on the earlier discussion, since it came to mind when reading your reply to their suggestion. As for the last bit, it's exactly the preamble being a paragraph and the rest of the text being short sentences that I am (Granted, nit-)picking at. I didn't mean to imply that you're using the run-on sentence, or that it's the correct and only, convention. If you like the style then disregard me on that one, it's not a dealbreaker for me.


OOC: Yeah I'll think on a title; I chose to go with LISA because of (1) the abbreviation in title and (2) nicely summarises the aim of this proposal, but if I can think of a better title I will change it :) As to the formatting, oh I see what you mean now. I had it in a list before, then Minskiev said to get rid of the list :P

LISA... who the hell is Lisa?
Dragon with internet access. I am coming for your data. More for the hoard.
NFL Team: 49rs
California is the best is the worst is kinda okay
Issues Author (#1520) | Failed GA Resolution Author

User avatar
Apatosaurus
Diplomat
 
Posts: 944
Founded: Jul 17, 2020
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Apatosaurus » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:33 pm

Untecna wrote:
Apatosaurus wrote:OOC: ... This is to protect LGBTIQA+ rights.


"That's largely there for purposes of the abbreviation in the title."



OOC: Yeah I'll think on a title; I chose to go with LISA because of (1) the abbreviation in title and (2) nicely summarises the aim of this proposal, but if I can think of a better title I will change it :) As to the formatting, oh I see what you mean now. I had it in a list before, then Minskiev said to get rid of the list :P

LISA... who the hell is Lisa?

"The abbreviation of the title."

Tinhampton wrote:Alexander Smith, Tinhamptonian Delegate-Ambassador to the World Assembly: The Tinhamptonian delegation cannot support the proposed Act. In particular, the World Assembly should not be requiring schools in particular to crack down on "hate speech" when it has not passed an overarching law on the subject in the first place - although I will admit that we would oppose such a law, as well.

"Why not? The reasons hate speech should not be permitted in schools (assuming it occurs without harassment against LGBTIQA+ students also occuring, which is rarely the case) are explained in the preamble; denying LGBTIQA+ students a safe and healthy learning experience and forcing them to stay closeted."
Last edited by Apatosaurus on Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This signature stands with Palestine.

End the continued practice of bombing houses, museums, refugee camps, ambulances, and churches.
WA Ambassador: Ambrose Scott; further detail on WA delegation in factbooks. Nation overview.

User avatar
Untecna
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5339
Founded: Jun 02, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:35 pm

Apatosaurus wrote:
Untecna wrote:LISA... who the hell is Lisa?

"The abbreviation of the title."

Tinhampton wrote:Alexander Smith, Tinhamptonian Delegate-Ambassador to the World Assembly: The Tinhamptonian delegation cannot support the proposed Act. In particular, the World Assembly should not be requiring schools in particular to crack down on "hate speech" when it has not passed an overarching law on the subject in the first place - although I will admit that we would oppose such a law, as well.

"Why not? The reasons hate speech should not be permitted in schools (assuming it occurs without harassment against LGBTIQA+ students also occuring, which is rarely the case) are explained in the preamble; denying LGBTIQA+ students a safe and healthy learning experience and forcing them to stay closeted."

Technically the truth: the best kind of truth. Consider my support given.
Dragon with internet access. I am coming for your data. More for the hoard.
NFL Team: 49rs
California is the best is the worst is kinda okay
Issues Author (#1520) | Failed GA Resolution Author

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Advertisement

Remove ads