NATION

PASSWORD

Handball World Cup (HWC25) [rosters/RPs/scores]

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Graintfjall
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Graintfjall » Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:59 am

Græntfjall       28–24       Muralos
Jack 9 (15–10) Chang 7
ImageImageImageImage

Græntfjall 31–22 Abahnfleft
Jack 6 (11–12) Spencer 5
ImageImageImageImage

The Sevens Federation 21–27 Græntfjall
unknown 7 (13–11) Isak 8
ImageImageImageImage

Savojarna 22–32 Græntfjall
Halldor 7 (12–12) Noah 8
ImageImageImageImage

Græntfjall 25–23 Juvencus
Jack 8 (13–13) unknown 7
ImageImageImageImage

Lisander 30–27 Græntfjall
unknown 8 (14–12) Jack 13
ImageImageImageImage

Selection of articles from Græntfjaller news media.

Bouncy Wolves head into quarterfinals in strong shape

Despite their first loss of the tournament, Græntfjall will head into the quarterfinals where they began, as fourth seeds overall. Jack Jockisson continued his strong tournament with a team-record 13 goals, though it wasn’t enough to overcome a resilient Lisander side. Jockisson’s play has been one of the highlights of a tournament that has seen the Bouncy Wolves progress serenely through both group stages, making the playoffs for the third tournament in a row. They will now face familiar foes Kriegiersien at the Big Cup Sports Park, part of the University of Waltenberg’s sports complex. Improved discipline has also helped the Bouncy Wolves, who have not picked up a red card in the entire tournament, after receiving multiple such disciplines in their HWC23 and 24 campaigns. Goalkeeper Samuele Henriksson, currently boasting an impressive 49% save percentage, credits the experience he and several teammates have received playing overseas as contributing. “I’d recommend getting out there, even for only a season or two, to any young player, as it gives a much higher quality experience than playing in the domestic league,” he said.

Independence campaign frustrated by limited Græntfjaller assistance

Public and private Græntfjaller entities are providing ‘very limited’ assistance to the pro-independence campaign in the forthcoming Kitaran referendum, according to sources familiar with the campaign. Members of the DFLK and other ‘yes’ campaign supporters have voiced frustrations that there is not a greater level of support coming from Græntfjall, after the White Winter Queendom seemed to indicate support for the DFLK during the Varakoula Accord negotiations. Græntfjall’s intransigence over the issue of DFLK military demobilization and insistence on fair election monitoring led to the hopes from the ‘yes’ campaign that the new Kitaran Republic of Osterland would have a powerful ally in its neighbor, but campaigners on the ground say there has been no influx of material or financial support from Háttmark. “They sent us a box of post-it notes. Post-it notes!” says one frustrated politico who has been working for the pro-independence campaign since the referendum was first launched. Security analysts say there are no signs that the Græntfjaller Intelligence Bureau, which was widely blamed for manipulation of the Verdean presidential elections including a campaign of ‘black ops’ psychological warfare and open vote-rigging, is active in the field in Osterland. “If Græntfjall wants the independence vote to pass, they are doing an extraordinarily good job of hiding it,” says one security correspondent.
Last edited by Graintfjall on Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Solo: IBC30, WCoH42, HWC25, U18WC16, CoH85, WJHC20
Co-host: CR36, BoF74, CoH80, BoF77, WC91
Champions: BoF73, CoH80, U18WC15, DBC52, WC91, CR41, VWE15, HWC27, EC15
Co-champions of the first and second Elephant Chess Cups with Bollonich
Runners-up: DBC49, EC10, HWC25, CR42
The White Winter Queendom of Græntfjall

Graintfjall
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Graintfjall » Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:01 am

Quarterfinal cutoff

Championship Bracket
Sarzonia 24–25 Savojarna
Bollonich 36–29 Quebec and Shingoryeo
Sylestone 24–24 HUElavia (28–26 AET)
Græntfjall 27–25 Kriegiersien (scorinated by Bollonich)

Placement Bracket
Juvencus 24–29 Octapolis
Gatchingerrak Union 27–24 Varmennia
Srednjaci 26–25 Kannap
Muralos 26–21 Lisander

President's Cup Bracket
Abanhfleft 21–21 Natanians and Nosts (26–23 AET)
Atheara 29–29 Eshialand (35–34 AET)
Sajnur 30–24 Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland (scorinated by Bollonich)
Raspotochje 24–23 Qasden

Placement Bracket
StrayaRoos 26–21 Pius Desurongcrandis
Venmere 31–29 The Sevens Federation

Semifinals (both games @ Central National University Arena, Háttmark)

(8) Savojarna v Græntfjall (4)
(2) Bollonich v Sylestone (3)

5th Place Bracket (both games @ Aigsvinger MSK MultiSport Park)

(1) Sarzonia v Kriegiersien (5)
(6) Quebec and Shingoryeo v HUElavia (7)

9th Place Bracket (both games @ College of Lovers’ Athletic Arena, Griesberg)

(16) Octapolis v Muralos (12)
(10) Gatchingerrak Union v Srednjaci (11)

13th Place Bracket (both games @ Hagejoki Play Park)

(9) Juvencus v Lisander (13)
(14=) Varmennia v Kannap (14=)

President's Cup Bracket (both games @ Grand National Arena, Háttmark)

(17) Abanhfleft v Rastopochje (20)
(18) Atheara v Sajnur (19)

21st Place Bracket (both games @ North Wolf Bay Park, Hofvinger)

(24) Natanians and Nosts v Qasden (21)
(22) Eshialand v Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland (23)

25th Place Playoff

(25) StrayaRoos v Venmere (26) @ Kyrkdorf MSK Arena

27th Place Playoff

(28) Pius Desurongcrandis v The Sevens Federation (27) @ ArchWANK Arena, Háttmark

All games on 21 Feb.
Last edited by Graintfjall on Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sylestone
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 05, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sylestone » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:46 pm

The Sylestonean > Sport > Handball > HWC 25

STRUGGLING HAWTHORNS PROGRESS IN OVERTIME TRIUMPH

Sylestone vs HUElavia @ Kyrkdorf MSK Arena, Kyrkdorf

Sylestone Starting VII: Dumaresq; Strange - Hussey - Strezlecki; Radcliffe - Barnsley - Fosbrook (c)

HUElavia Starting VII: Ramos; Paiva - Chimaijem - Bolshov; Cancio - Biel - Brousseau

KYRKDORF, GRÆNTFJALL - In the most unconvincing fashion possible, the Hawthorns have succeeded in making their second semifinal in two Handball World Cups. Following a dominant second-half performance against Varmennia and a tense win over Quebec and Shingoryeo, it appeared that the Esportivans were back at their pinnacle following Isla McCartney’s injury. As Lachlan Fosbrook said in the days leading into Sylestone’s quarterfinal match against HUElavia, “we’re right at the top of our game at the moment, and we’re really confident heading into the match. But as Macca (McCartney) keeps on telling us, we can’t afford to be overconfident, for every nation we come across from this stage onwards is a side that certainly has the ability to defeat us. We cannot afford to be cocky, but we back ourselves to win if we play the game we’ve been playing at training and in our last couple of matches.”

However, all of that hard work to get back to their best seemed to slide down the drain as soon as the match began. Right from the word go, the Hawthorns simply could not string together their passing - easily their strong point - and slowly but surely, the HUElavians began to gain the upper hand. Oscar Dumaresq, the 20-year-old goalkeeper, though, continued to show his class with some excellent saves, including a deflection off his right foot when Erika Biel appeared to have completely fooled him with a curving shot. It was on his back - and his alone - that the deficit was only two goals at the half-time break, HUElavia leading a defensive match 12-10 thirty minutes in. The Hawthorns might not be at their best, but they’re still in with a shot and were certainly not going to let the upstarts progress without putting up a hell of a fight.

And that was exactly what happened. A couple of early Hawthorn goals in the second half equalised the match, but the HUElavians were not ones to go down without a fight, keeping up with the world number two’s and setting up a thriller. The defence of both parties continued to perform and with five minutes remaining, the HUElavians had taken the lead once more, 22 goals to 21, and the Hawthorns were on their final legs.

A flurry of goals saw Sylestone lead, 24-23, when the 59th minute ticked to the 60th, all HUElavians in the stadium not daring to watch the proceedings. A Hawthorn goal would seal the match, but if their side could score… anything could happen.

HUElavia did score, too, with only eight seconds remaining on the clock, firing a shot past the brilliant reflexes of Oscar Dumaresq, who failed to even touch the ball as it struck the back of the net, prompting the goal-scorer - reserve left-winger Iris Biel - into wild celebrations with her teammates. But the game was far from over, with the score 24-all heading into overtime. In fact, one could say it had only just begun.

The last time the Hawthorns played an overtime match in a quarterfinal, it was three years ago in Vreton, Bollonich, where Sylestone took on the likes of Græntfjall in what proved to be one of the best handball matches ever played. As one of only three losses to date, that game has been the result of several nightmares ever since, particularly in the days succeeding it. The sheer intensity of it - including an insane first overtime period where twelve goals were scored in the space of five minutes - was something that has not been rivalled in any game Sylestone have played in yet. Not even that semifinal on home soil against Sarzonia two years back.

So when HUElavia scored that final goal in the dying seconds of normal time, fresh memories from that game were brought back. All Sylestonean handball fans following the game - whether in Kyrkdorf itself, or back in the island nation and watching on the television or listening on the radio - they all seemed to remember. Every last one of them.

And that’s why they all appeared to be so bloody relieved when the Hawthorns held on.

The first five minutes of overtime were intense, with both Dumaresq and HUElavian goalkeeper Andressa Paschoal Ramos making physics-defying saves in a period where only two goals - one apiece - could be scored. But when Amber James scored two goals in two minutes at the beginning of the second half of overtime, the game was all but sealed. Karl Bolshov, HUElavia’s right-back, did his best to keep the game alive with a wonderful shot from a near-impossible angle, but the Hawthorns, through a Claire Raven goal with thirty seconds on the clock, managed to take out the win.

They were through to the semifinals.

But things would not get any easier. Despite Sarzonia’s shock 25-24 loss to Savojarna - the Rushmori powerhouse of years gone by - allowing the Hawthorns to jump them for that coveted number one rank in the multiverse, Sylestone have only one roadblock in their route to the final.

And it’s the only side to have defeated them by more than a single goal.

In fact, in the only game the two sides have played each other in, it was won by the Hawthorns’ opponents by a margin of seven goals.

In the final of the 24th Handball World Cup.

Okay, if you haven’t guessed the answer by now, you must have had your heads in the sand for the past two years. Which, granted, is possible, for Sylestone does have a fair amount of sand.

For those of you in that category, then the answer is Bollonich. And the Hawthorns will be out for revenge.

Can they do it, make their second straight final, and play one of Savojarna or hosts Græntfjall in the final?

Tune in tomorrow to find out!

Cards:
Sylestone:
15’: Ellie McKean Image
21’: Lole Strezlecki Image
34’: Zachary Radcliffe Image
38’: Samantha Hussey Image
49’: Jonathan Younger Image
55’: Flynn Strange Image

HUElavia:
9’: Erika Biel Image
41’: Arthur Ribeiro Pimentel Image
47’: Erika Biel Image
50’: Rafael Cancio Image

Goals:
Sylestone:
Lachlan Fosbrook - 7
Amber James - 5
Zachary Radcliffe - 5
Samantha Hussey - 3
Claire Raven - 2
Flynn Strange - 2
Patrick Barnsley - 1
Ellie McKean - 1
Lole Strezlecki - 1
Jonathan Younger - 1

HUElavia:
Erika Biel - 6
Iris Biel - 6
France Brousseau - 5
Chinaza Chimaijem - 3
Yong-Jin Om - 2
Julian Rothmann - 2
Karl Bolshov - 1
Rafael Cancio - 1

Starting Lineup vs Bollonich @ Central National University Arena, Háttmark
Dumaresq; Bailey - Hussey - Strezlecki; Radcliffe - James - Fosbrook (c)

Schedule:
GS 1 MD1: Sylestone 24-16 Eshialand @ Friendship Arena, Yamera, Ha'Yarok
GS 1 MD2 Sylestone 29-21 Gatchingerrak Union @ Friendship Arena, Yamera, Ha'Yarok
GS 1 MD3: Natanians and Nosts 28-27 Sylestone @ Friendship Arena, Yamera, Ha'Yarok
GS 2 MD1: Sylestone 29-27 Srednjaci @ College of Lovers’ Athletic Arena, Griesberg, Græntfjall
GS 2 MD2: Sylestone 31-22 Varmennia @ College of Lovers’ Athletic Arena, Griesberg, Græntfjall
GS 2 MD3: Quebec and Shingoryeo 27-29 Sylestone @ College of Lovers’ Athletic Arena, Griesberg, Græntfjall
Quarterfinal: Sylestone 28-26 HUElavia @ Kyrkdorf MSK Arena, Kyrkdorf, Græntfjall
Semifinal: Bollonich - Sylestone @ Central National University Arena, Háttmark
Football: WC94 Qualifiers, CE35&36 semifinalists
Cricket: GCF WT20 XVI champions, ODI WT II semifinalists, GCF WT20 XV semifinalists, EspoT20 I&II champions
BoF 74, CoH 78, CoH 81, GCF WT20 XV, HWC 24, EspoT20 I&III

Abanhfleft
Senator

Founded: May 26, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Abanhfleft » Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:03 am

DISCLAIMER: Gaelic Gamers is an independent sports blogging website created by four cousins with a common liking and passion for sports of all kinds and is in no way or form affiliated with or organized by any official news organization in the Democratic Republic of Abanhfleft. All statements and opinions posted here are our own and not anyone else's.

Gaelic Gamers
Presents...

Hungry for Handball
with Aisling Keane

Abanhfleft national handball team. Where the fuck was this form when you were playing the first group stage? Do you lot realize that if you had played in the first group stage as you did in the second one, you’d all by now have a chance at winning the bloody Handball World Cup? Do you realize that? Do you realize just how hard you’ve dropped this particular ball? Do you all want to suffer the same fate that a certain Ginny Katesmar did and be left behind when it’s time to go home? Because if I was in charge of the handball section of the Commission on Games and Sport, I would have all decided that none of the players on this handball team are ever going back to Abanhfleft again! I mean, come on now, guys! My expectations for all of you were low at the start but holy fuck! Now instead of the Handball World Cup itself, all we have to fight for now is the President’s Cup. I don’t know about you guys but I have a feeling that the President’s Cup is not as prestigious as the Handball World Cup itself. Don’t get me wrong, at this point I will willingly accept any chance of Abanhfleft winning any sort of trophy, but I just have this nagging feeling that the President’s Cup somehow pales in significance to the bloody Handball World Cup itself?

I’m not going to lie; I was absolutely devastated when bloody Muralos beat us in the last game of the first group stage. Then again, I probably should have expected it to happen anyway. But this girl just can’t stop letting herself get lured in by the hope that winning the first game against The Sevens Federation. I mean, I expected us to lose to Græntfjall because, come on now. It’s Græntfjall. But Muralos? Goddamn it, I don’t think I’ve actually cried at the result of a handball game before this! This is how invested I’ve become to this bloody sport! Especially after the Markovsky Guardsmen announced that they’ve managed to sign bloody JK Lorenzo to the team! Success doesn’t come a lot to Markovsky outside of basketball and football, so I’m willing to grasp at any straw that I can as long as it could potentially bring a championship to my city!

Okay, so the first group stage was an absolute disappointment. But if there’s a silver lining to be found here, it’s the fact that the team seemed to have got all the bottling out of their system because after that abysmal failure, they’ve experienced nothing but success since. But again, it all circles back to what could have been. If the team had showed this kind of form and determination in the first group stage, we wouldn’t have to console ourselves with a mere President’s Cup; We could have been fighting for the World Cup itself! But now it’s too late for all of that. The team can only fight against the teams in front of them, and they’re fighting for nothing but pride and a shiny thing that isn’t even an official championship. Does it speak something about our team’s mentality that they can only perform once the pressure is off of their shoulders? That seems a bit perverse, don’t you think? Like, how can we even trust them to carry us to a championship if the only way that they can perform is by not having any pressure on their shoulders at all? Because, let’s admit it, pressure is part and parcel of being a competitor. People who say that the point of sports is having fun has clearly never come so close to winning a championship, and for that I feel sorry for them.

So what now then? Is it time to wipe the slate clean yet again? Probably, but then again, even if we had won the Handball World Cup with this team (which we didn’t, just so we’re clear) we would have needed to have a clean slate for the title defense that wouldn’t happen anyway. Most of the starters on this team are already reaching the mid-30s, and that’s usually the time that sportspeople retire anyway. As for the backup crew, well, so far, let’s just say that they haven’t inspired much confidence in me. Maybe that will change once they’re the starters. Maybe they’ll finally feel the real weight of responsibility and they’ll finally change their tune. That’s the hope anyway. Whether it’ll actually come to pass, well… do you really want me to answer that?

Well, then, at the very most, there’s only two more games left for Abanhfleft to play. I am absolutely sure that we will have to play one more game, and that’s against Rastopochje. Now if we survive those blokes, our opponents are going to be either Atheara or Sajnur. Should the inevitable come to pass and we lose the President’s Cup final to either one of these teams, I probably won’t cry just like I did when we lost to Muralos. I’ll feel better about myself if we lost to either Atheara or Sajnur because at least those teams actually have history. But if we lose against Rastopochje, well, I’ll just chalk it up to the handball gods playing with my emotions once again. They never tire of that particular game, do they?
The Democratic Republic of Abanhfleft
Leader: President Rako Novoire

Territories and dependencies:
Trans-Dniesters (Client state)
Oontaz Dert Li Ng
Copper Cuprum
Trendstart
Economic Left/Right: -1.72
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.88
Second place winner in the International Baseball Slam VI
Third place winner in the World Lacrosse Championship XIX
Winner of the Baptism of Iron XVI!
Third place winner in the 33rd Di Bradini Cup!

Third place winner of the International Baseball Slam VIII
Winner of World Lacrosse Championships 22!

I also write stories. Would you like to read my works?

Srednjaci
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 02, 2021
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Srednjaci » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:51 am

HWC25-Graeintfjall

MASTER BEARS IN FIGHT FOR 9TH PLACE

by Ana Buneta

Srednjaci - 26
Kannap- 25

Although our team did not manage to fight for a medal this time either, the championship is not over for our handball players.
The Master Bears defeated Kannap in a battle for positions.
It didn't start well for our players. In the second minute of the game, Marina Prgomet received a yellow card. Kannap played a good defense while Bears were looking for solutions in attack. With several great counterattacks, Kannap managed to score three goals in a row and took the lead with 3: 0 from the early start.
Master Bears have to reaching the result gap again.
Time out in the early stages of the match was called from our bench. After this time, our players have an attack but the ball is cut again and Nikola Gasty, center back of Kannap, rushes towards the goal in the counterattack, Tihana Udvarić can't stop him and lets him go so as not to commit a foul for 2 min exceptions, he deflects and shoots but on goal is Adela Musić, she defends and saves the goal.
From that moment on, something started within our team. Different energy took over them and Master Bears started to play better and better. Uncertainty and pressure are now on Kannap's side.
The first half ended 17-17.

In the second half, our players still make a difference in the game. After 7 minutes of play in the second half, Srednjaci have a +4 advantage. However, they do not easily maintain that advantage until the end of the game. Kannap is squeezing our team again in an attempt to turn the game around. Master Bears under presure again twice in a row makes an errors in the attack and Kannap tem from two counterattacks scores two quick and easy goals.
Kannap plays pressing on court and they try to get another ball and fast counter attack.
Ours is trying to procrastinate, hiding the ball, Kannap players are doing foul after foul and time is running out. End of the game, 36-25.
The Master Bears are going to fight for ninth place with win versus team Kannap.

BEST SCORRER : Antonija Ružić, Maja Konjuh - 6 goals
PLAYER OF THE MATCH: Adela Musić, 19 saves

Bollonich
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 20, 2021
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bollonich » Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:06 am

Caltex - A History

Conglomerates are not a rare occurrence in Bollonich with the existence of many such. The standard Bollonischian conglomerate however does not cover the size of Caltex the biggest such conglomerate that exists in Bollonich. Having started mainly as a Petroleum and Natural Gas company carrying out operations off shore near the Bollonischian coast. Their ventures here combined with the use of analysts to the best of their abilities made them strike gold. Black gold of course, and with the government under Libertarian rule in the 20th century were only promoting private enterprise. Before the coming of Caltex, the petroleum mining industry was controlled completely by Government companies resulting in the formation of a state owned monopoly. Plagued by unnecessary bureaucratic structures, the government companies were inefficient in providing services. This motivated a shift for the consumers from the Government to Caltex who provided cheaper oil with a steady production. Such a business model however did not fulfil the desire of Caltex founder and then CEO Lucas Caltex. He wanted more, more in his industry itself as well as outside of Caltex’s current industry. That is why in the mid 1900s Caltex begun its process of expanding, setting up more oil drilling stations. They also made their first steps into the oil refining industry as they purchased a company in debt, Glupers Oil Refineries. Bringing it under the control of Caltex, they quickly remodelled the company giving it new leadership and also sorting out the financials. And within a few months of refurbishing, Glupers officially renamed to Caltex Refineries was ready to give the largest oil drillers in the nation, their first footsteps into the refining market as well. Bollonich is fairly limited in terms of Oil drillers based in Bollonich itself with a good proportion of its oil being parts of imports, this gave Caltex a market advantage as their oil was by principle cheaper due to the lack of an import tax on them which other companies importing oil to Bollonich had to pay. The ability of Caltex to refine their own oil also gave them an advantage in the market as they had a completely internalised system in two stages of the industry. The company prospered for the remaining part of the 20th century, with its ever continuing expansion in the oil and natural gas market. That however is not when the conglomerate was born.

With the beginning of the 21st century, the focus of Caltex shifted. The company no longer wanted to just dominate the oil market and succeed there, but they wanted to go further and widen their scope of profit. That is when they started investing in more and broadened their reach in various industries. They invested in the food distribution industry and also took up meat production later. This caused some controversy surrounding the company as they were accused by animal rights activists for violating the basic treatment protocol for animals for meat production as established by the Government. Such claims died down, however their diversification continued with them making steps in the telecommunications industry and transport industry.
Today they stand as the ideal that all conglomerates try to live upto. They have also come a long way since their early days, upping their advertising game making use of sports to advertise their products across industries. The latest such example is sponsoring the National Team at the 25th HWC knowing that many people would be watching this getting them important air time.
Meh

Graintfjall
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Graintfjall » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:55 am

Græntfjall       27–25       Kriegiersien
Noah 7 (12–14) Gooooooooooal 10
ImageImageImageImage

Bouncy Wolves overcome daunting Kriegs to return to semifinals

Hopes of a successful home tournament – a rarity among Græntfjaller teams, who have never managed to reach the latter stages of home tournaments in football, basketball, or ice hockey – are rising in the Handball World Cup after a dramatic second-half comeback to defeat Kriegiersien at the University of Waltenberg’s Big Cup Sports Park. Noah Josefsson (7), Jack Jockisson (5) and Spartakus Kristinsson (4) led the scoring for the disciplined Græntfjaller team, who conceded just a single penalty. The aptly named Edith Gooooooooooal had taken the Kriegs to a 14–12 lead at the half, but supported by a capacity home crowd the Bouncy Wolves rallied in the second half. Kristinsson, whose incisive passing has seen him regularly feature among the assist leaders, provided 3 of his 8 assists on the night in the final 2 minutes. Former HWC champions Savojarna now lie in wait for the Bouncy Wolves. Coach Annes Sigvarðursson praised the physical defense of young pivot Þjífþælmidr Þjugnöndángsson, who at just 18 has become a regular starter and proved a potent presence on screens, and of Jockisson, whose scoring touch deserted him for large parts of the Krieg game after having led the team in goals through qualifying, only to score the crucial go-ahead goal at the end.

Sigjón Þjóðbjörnsson resigns as NDF leader

Former Leader of the Opposition Sigjón Þjóðbjörnsson has resigned as chair of the National Democratic Front. The lawyer was credited with revolutionizing, modernizing and legitimizing the NDF on their rise from a fringe protest group to the dominant right-wing party in Græntfjaller politics, in 2023 mounting a serious challenge for office. But after falling short and forming the opposition, they endured a disastrous 4 years of setbacks and self-inflicted wounds that saw their Thing group lose one third of its members through resignations, withdrawals of the whip and floor crossings. Disappointing 2027 election results saw their vote share crater, spelling the end for Mr Þjóðbjörnsson, who has said he will also resign as an MT and explore new career opportunities where he will continue to press for “national pride, sensible self-government, principled conservatism, and kicking out all the” before his microphone suddenly cut off.

Graintfjall
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Graintfjall » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:00 am

Semifinals cutoff

Semifinals
Græntfjall 25–23 Savojarna (scorinated by Bollonich)
Bollonich 32–31 Sylestone

5th Place Bracket
Sarzonia 31–21 Kriegiersien
Quebec and Shingoryeo 24–24 HUElavia (27–26 AET)

9th Place Bracket
Octapolis 21–22 Muralos
Gatchingerrak Union 22–32 Srednjaci

13th Place Bracket
Juvencus 25–27 Lisander
Varmennia 25–27 Kannap

President's Cup Bracket
Abanhfleft 27–21 Raspotochje
Atheara 29–29 Sajnur (31–32 AET) *

I missed Sajnur's RP. After seeing it -- it was posted at 11:00 and so really should have been counted -- I rescorinated the game, but the rescorination made no difference to the result, and the result will stand. The RP bonus will count towards the next scorination.

21st Place Bracket
Natanians and Nosts 24–21 Qasden
Eshialand 24–29 Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland (scorinated by Bollonich)

25th Place Playoff
StrayaRoos 28–29 Venmere

27th Place Playoff
Pius Desurongcrandis 28–29 The Sevens Federation

Final & 3rd PPO (both games @ Central National University Arena, Háttmark)

Græntfjall v Bollonich
Savojarna v Sylestone

5th & 7th PPO (both games @ Aigsvinger MSK MultiSport Park)

Sarzonia v Quebec and Shingoryeo
Kriegiersien v HUElavia

9th & 11th PPO (both games @ College of Lovers’ Athletic Arena, Griesberg)

Muralos v Srednjaci
Octapolis v Gatchingerrak Union

13th & 15th PPO (both games @ Hagejoki Play Park)

Lisander v Kannap
Juvencus v Varmennia

President's Cup Final & 19th PPO (both games @ Grand National Arena, Háttmark)

Abanhfleft v Sajnur
Raspotochje v Atheara

21st & 23rd PPO

Natanians and Nosts v Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland
Qasden v Eshialand

All games on 23 Feb.
Because Bollonich has also reached the final I will be seeking another third party scorinator: if you will be available please let me know!
Last edited by Graintfjall on Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sajnur
Envoy

Founded: Dec 17, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sajnur » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:00 am

Gael Mahe

With the lack of international football to satiate the national sports scene, those who wish to see the purple and red have had to flock to other, more obscure tournaments. One of those is the Handball World Cup, and Sajnur's presence there has been a hit with viewers. After the disappointment that was the first group stage, the Sajnuran handball team was handed entry into the President's Cup consolation group stage and promptly found its level. With Graintfjall proving a better environment than Zelena Planina, the team scored close wins against Raspotochje, Natanians and Nosts, and Pius Desurongcrandis to secure passage to the President's Cup quarter finals. Then came Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland, who volunteered for a more comprehensive 30-24 beating, and now Sajnur has Atheara up next. While the whole team has had markedly rising fortunes since changing countries, none have had a better tournament than backcourt player Sigurd Tjangeval, the 18 year old university student receiving an offer from Srednjaci professional club Kings Star Katanija. Such opportunity is entirely warranted too, as the rising star has scored 41 of the team's 189 goals over the tournament and been a capable defensive presence in an otherwise porous team. Of course, his, and the team's, first priority will be the upcoming "semi final" against Atheara.

Dear Mr Davor Dominikovic,

I accept your offer to join Kings Star Katanija, on the condition that I remain able to continue my studies at a suitable university in Srednjaci. I wish to achieve great things with your club, including of course winning trophies and playing against the best world handball has to offer. I would like to start contract negotiations as soon as the Handball World Cup has finished.

Regards,
Sigurd Tjangeval
Last edited by Sajnur on Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gatchingerrak Union
Attaché

Founded: Apr 23, 2021
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Gatchingerrak Union » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:15 am

This unnamed storyline is a spin-off story about handballer Jin Hyeong-Mi and Henry Lundrigan, the eventual second Earl Lundrigan. As a story of two persons with their love of handball (and eventually each other), it will (slowly) be written over the next few HWCs. Until HWC 31, it will be written from the scenes of future, meaning that while there will be plenty of time to cover the stories, there may be occasionally outdated aspects/lines/details that may get overwritten every now and then.

The very nitpicky details, of course, aren't the ones to really live for, as both Hyeong-Mi and Henry come from the universe of both Jin Chang-Wook's Adventure of Lifetime (15th Summer Olympic series about Jin Chang-Wook, volleyball setter whose legends begin in Bunjil) and TWGS Megaseries (Vol. 1 and eventual Vol. 3). There's a bigger picture to look into when analysing how they tie into everything, so it can either be super-fun reading all of the 'Asherverse' or not at all.

So really, just enjoy it for fun and nothing much - hopefully I'll be able to cover more about handball and other forms of this beautiful sport over next while.

Part 1.
Part 2.
Part 3.
Part 4.
Part 5.
Part 6.

From the Future-Time (mid-2067 / 13 years from now)

'The Sarzonian team, that's looked dominant for twenty-three consecutive games until they were defeated against Sylestone just two days ago....the team's had a slightly hard time swallowing the defeat today....both Vivianne Taylor and Pat Agnew weren't playing today, and that certainly didn't help them in close-called matches against the Seven Stars...'

'Do you recognise any of these players, sister?' Hyeong-Woo asked, as they were looking at the screen. From the very aesthetics, as well as the low quality of the video (240? 360? they weren't sure), that this was either a fairly old video from a decade or two ago. They could recognise that the games were in Avondale, not Attawapiskat, because the arena didn't look that outdated to start with.

'The guy on the left wing is Eduard Porogolev. He was 19 back then, so that's a fairly aged photo. I know Gatchinovo citystate men's team have yet to release their 14-man roster for the (Quebecois) Commonwealth Games, but he's certainly there at 35. So probably an old footage when we weren't born,' Hyeong-Mi answered as she continued assessing the arena. She didn't really remember the Sarzonian squad much of that era, aside from the fact that they were the best Atlantian Oceania side by miles for many years and they still are. She still felt some weird feeling watching this version though, probably because she wasn't around at the time when the opponents to her true blue Seven Stars had intra-squad turmoil.
'And there it is the goal! Gennadiy Petitpa to kill the game! On his first and final Handball World Cup, the right back surely seizes the moment, coming up with his sixth goal of the gold medal match as the Gatchingerrak Union leads 29-26! Now with thirty seconds left, the Seven Stars are heading to the bronze medal!'

It was at that moment Hyeong-Woo and Hyeong-Mi both recognised Gennadiy Petitpa. The 42-year old Novopetrogradian, who wore goggles and had a long, dark hair, displayed strong footstep on the left-side, before going through clean on a 7-metre shot. 'Gennadiy Petitpa, holy shit,' Hyeong-Woo said. 'The men's Team Quebec coach looked like that back then? He had hair?????' They chuckled, as the man they had remembered to be bald and chewing gum all their teens as Team Quebec coach came into their mind.

'So dad wasn't kidding, holy shit,' said Hyeong-Mi, feeling just as amazed about it. 'That is such a Petitpa footwork. Not the strongest but dominating when combined with that wrist snap.'
'There, Maeve does a good job drawing the penalty but that may not be enough....he scores, but the players aren't panicking yet. Good goal over Nachtaller's shoulder, that's for sure, but it feels more compensatory for the opposing Stars, who looked dominant for most of this tournament and then saw their mojo first taking a hit against the Sylestonians, before the nail-biter here where they were neck-to-neck until the tournament.'

'Okay, but why this footage?' Hyeong-Mi asked, trying to figure out why Sir. Asher sent his son Henry the video. There was no doubt that the video probably had fifty more of these mini-clips to go through, and if we just go by the Gatchingerak Union stuff alone, that's only about a ten of them.
'As for the other stars, the Seven Stars...what a tournament. They had a tough group with the Quebecois, who looked poised to go for a deeper run this time....the Grim Reapers had no trouble with first round, while the Seven Stars required a play-off win to get through it. Once they were in Quebec, however, it was entirely different story...the Quebecois walked off disappointed after a ninth-place finish after the group stage where nobody but the Bollonischians really did anything, while the Seven Stars had some major upsets over the powerhouses Graintfjall and Kriegiersien in order to make it this far.'

Everybody knew the GatUnion was an imperfect creature in terms of sporting union, but one that was inevitable due to the limit of slots available for the Quebecois Commonwealth. In most tournaments, the Quebecois (seat of the Commonwealth) and the Banijans (often-second fiddle on indoor sports, but have held stronger hold on football or gridiron) were the ones with first two allocated slots, and the limited availability of the slots had meant that the Novopetrogradians, the Norsk, and the Norrskie-Zasoustians (plus two citystates) had to come together on a sporting union.

Covering the preexisting geographic-economic zone named by around the Gatchingerrak Strait, the strait in middle of the Inland Ocean where where the isles of Gatchinovo citystate (the place of those who look for power/nobility), it was an imperfect solution that worked well in terms of representation. The sum of talent was never an issue, but the issue with such multinational side was the ability to bridge in the teamwork, an important element for the multinational side's pursuit for success that didn't always follow. It was awkward enough playing with the guys and gals who you'd really rival against for most competitions, really.
'No doubt here, Red. On the semifinals, they had a particularly tough luck against the Bollonischians, who simply smothered their attack in what was a match that saw supreme defensive performance from both parties. But the team's rebounded well...this team, the one consisting of four nations who don't always get along with each other in the east end of Vatmark...have pulled some pleasant surprises this time around, and they were showing it.'

'Hard to say,' Hyeong-Woo shrugged, as they kept on watching the broadcast. 'But, sis, like you always felt more comfortable living in Nyhavn. So did mummy- like that's literally why mummy agreed to coach the Norsk national team and dad signed with them. If not for mum, dad would have just signed with Armada Petrograd.' This part was very much true - Jin Chang-Wook, on the wrong side of the thirties after twelve amazing years with Vreton Bulls, could have chosen to take a lucrative offer at a Novopetrograd-based club in Gatchingerrak Superliga.

The offers made by some of the clubs there, while not immediately picked up by the Quebecois media outlets, were rumoured to be in Mytanar-Bollonischian level of money and conditions. But the setter made a surprising decision to move sign with IF-Brygge, a recently-promoted side from one of Nyhavn's five fingers who offered one-third the money he had previously earned with Vreton, to follow his wife Tatiana's job as the Norsk women's gymnastics team coach, and for his children.
'It's now going man-to-man defence...and a lot of slowdown going on. They are passing back and forth...the players could hear the whistles blowing...and it's the Seven Stars of Gatchingerrak Union who prevail after an amazing run of course in Baja Calania and Attawapiskat, followed by a fitting finish, here in Sylestone!'
Last edited by Gatchingerrak Union on Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quebec and Shingoryeo
Minister

Founded: Aug 28, 2020

Postby Quebec and Shingoryeo » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:27 am

OOC: Just few tweets from Twii.tur to wrap up my HWC campaign.

Image @WorldHandball The Finals about to kick off Hattmark. Hosts Graintfjall vs. Defending Champions Bollonich - who's your pick tonight? #GRFvBOL #HWC2053

Image @AlainWeonBoo #HWC2054 winds down for Quebec, Sarzonia in 5th Place Match | QBC Sports

Image @GabaGaba772 Intense series of events. My pick goes to #TeamQuebec, #TeamSylestone, and #TeamBollonich.

Image @GennadiyPetitpa Proud of this #TeamQuebec, hope @HenriPetitpa and @JohanniePtpa will finish with a strong run.

Image @WorldOfHandball'Bollonich stars Rhodes and Akerman, Graintfjaller studs Jockisson and Henriksson @LigueBoreale stars in #HWC2053final' | World of Handball

Image @QHFOfficial Contract Renewed for Coaches Bengtsson and Bhullar to HWC-26 | QHF Official Website #GoGrimReapers #TeamQuebec #Handball

Image @ChetMadueke @WorldHandball Can we please see better livestream coverage from your website? We don't expect perfection but cmon #FrustratedFanHere #HWC2053
Last edited by Quebec and Shingoryeo on Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kingdom of Quebec & Shingoryeo
Olympic Council President (XVIII) - World Cup of Hockey Federation President (cycles 24-29, cycle 47-49) - NationStates College Football Commissioner (cycles 20-)
Trigramme: QUE | Denonym: Quebecois/Shingoryeoite (interchangeable) | Population: 94 million
MegaSport.que - The Wanderer's Guide To Somewhere
Have won many, hosted even more

International Basketball Championships 37-39 Champions
World Cup of Hockey XXVI Champions

Bollonich
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 20, 2021

Postby Bollonich » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:33 am

Another Edition, Another Final

The Bollonischian National Handball team's journey to a position of international recognition is something to be deeply admired. Starting off in the sport with a good tournament reaching the quarterfinals and propelled by good domestic infrastructure we have managed to reach the very heights of the sport and we are looking to climb even higher. We followed up our HWC 23 performance reaching the quarterfinals with a championship winning run in Quebec and Sylestone etching our name in the history books. But that of course would not satisfying the hunger for success.
And thus we begun our journey to defend our title in Græntfjall. Starting with a comfortable first group stage, carrying that form into the second one where we won all of our games. These successes allowed us to make our way into the knockout stages of the tournament where we faced last edition's hosts, Quebec and Shingroyeo and Sylestone respectively. The game against Quebec was a relatively comfortable one for our experienced and strong players as we crushed them, marching on into the semifinals looking at the trophy once again. But this time, stood in our path were the formidable Sylestonean side who had just become the 1st ranked side in the world following Sarzonia's loss against Savojarna in the quarterfinals. The game against Sylestone would be a rematch of last edition's final, a final we had emerged victorious in.

This matchu[ was the perfect formula to reignite the popularity of handball in the common people as the emergence of a rivalry could be seen. Both these sides were extremely strong teams capable of winning the competition at their best, however this time just like the last edition, only of them can win it. The matchup of course would not be easy or comfortable from any spectrum of imagination. This could be argued to be the fight between the two strongest sides in the tournament and neither would go out quitely. Taking to the court, the Bollonischians were determined and knew they could beat them as they had done it before. And so it began, the clash of the titans, something to bring the entire handballing world to a standstill. A spectacle that overshadows the previous events in the competition itself as this is what it comes down to. And the craziest thing is, despite all this hype, this matchup is not even the final. Its something greater, its a game between two rivals which is always a promising aspect to have drama. The game begun in intense fashion as both sides immediately pressed for the offensive looking to gain an early lead. Something neither side was very successful in as both sides remained in striking distance of the other. And this form of play continued for the greater half of the first half as we entered the break tied on points setting up an exciting second half. The second half play very much followed suit to the first half, given with some tired players. But in a match of this calibre and stature, what is some tiredness to slow down the players fighting and playing for glory. The second half was also level upto a crucial point which is when the Bollonischians started to inch forward probing the Sylestonean defense. And it was then that we were able to claw out a tiny advantage which we were able to hold on till the end of the game.

This was a major victory not only because of what it entailed for our championship hopes but because this was the second time that we had defeated rivals Sylestone and denied them what possibly they desire the most. So where does that leave us in terms of the final which is yet to go. In the other semifinal between hosts Græntfjall and Savojarna, the hosts emerged victorious setting up an all Pavolan matchup between two geographical neighbours. This prospect with the match being held in Græntfjall's borders itself, the support for both sides will be fierce, The Græntfjaller home fans and the Bollonischian travellers. Græntfjall is a team we have faced earlier in the HWC before though and emerged victorious so a victory here is definitely possible. But this finale is obviously an exciting prospect in the World of Sport regardless if we succeed in retaining our title or not.
Meh

Graintfjall
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Graintfjall » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:57 am

Græntfjall       25–23       Savojarna
Jack 8 (13–13) Daniel, Halldor 6
ImageImageImageImage

Late rally drives Bouncy Wolves to final

Græntfjall have made their first ever Handball World Cup final and will compete on home court at the Central National University Arena, Háttmark, against defending champions Bollonich, after a thrilling late win over Savojarna in the semifinals. Former world champions Savojarna looked to have taken the decisive lead, but three quick goals from Isak Göpfsson, Jack Jockisson and Noah Josefsson combined to overhaul them and send the Bouncy Wolves through. The speedy Savojars' skilful style proved a significant challenge for Græntfjall's less mobile approach to the game. Once again, the coaches favored extensive use of two-pivot sets using Þjífþælmidr Þjugnöndángsson and Tístran Steinþórsson, to try to gain a physical advantage. Savojarna's captain Halldor Laurison provided solid defense of Jack and Isak, but his own scoring touch wasn't quite firing in the first half. Five second half goals seemed to have propelled his team back to the finals before the Bouncy Wolves hit the late burners. After the game, player of the game Jack credited Isak, who led the team in assists, and said the team were looking forward to the first ever final showdown between the two former Cold War adversaries. "We may have signed a peace treaty but that doesn't extend to handball!" he warned.

Bank confirms end to recession

The Central Bank of Græntfjall has confirmed the economy is officially out of recession, breaking a cycle of negative growth. The Progressive Liberal government immediately took credit for the rebound, citing increased investor confidence as a result of their planned reforms, while Left-slate said the recovery had begun under their previous government and that the Progressive Liberals were merely "taking credit for work already started".

Graintfjall
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Graintfjall » Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:16 am

Cutoff for finals. Please note that as I'm still looking for a 3rd party scorinator there may be a short delay before the final itself is posted.

While we're waiting, the Háttmark Harbinger's (completely unofficial) Team of the Tournament:

GK: Pat Agnew (SRZ)
LW: Edith Ash Gooooooooooal (KGS)
LB: Sigurd Tjangeval (SAJ)
CB: Noah Josefsson (GRÆ)
RB: Halldor Laurison (SVJ)
RW: Lachlan Fosbrook (SYL)
P: Heath Adair (BOL)

Edit: Found one, thanks to Ko-oren.

Græntfjall 24–24 Bollonich (27–28 AET) (scorinated by Ko-oren)
Savojarna 29–30 Sylestone
Sarzonia 32–29 Quebec and Shingoryeo
Kriegiersien 27–20 HUElavia
Muralos 23–28 Srednjaci
Octapolis 29–24 Gatchingerrak Union
Lisander 32–29 Kannap
Juvencus 31–21 Varmennia

Abanhfleft 26–21 Sajnur
Raspotochje 29–32 Atheara
Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland 22–24 Natanians and Nosts (scorinated by Ko-oren)
Qasden 24–29 Eshialand

Final finishing order:

1. Bollonich
  2. Græntfjall
  3. Sylestone
  4. Savojarna
  5. Sarzonia
  6. Quebec & Shingoryeo
  7. Kriegiersien
  8. HUElavia
  9. Srednjaci
  10. Muralos
  11. Octapolis
  12. Gatchingerrak Union
  13. Lisander
  14. Kannap
  15. Juvencus
  16. Varmennia
  17. Abanhfleft (President's Cup Winner)
  18. Sajnur
  19. Atheara
  20. Raspotochje
  21. Natanians and Nosts
  22. Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland
  23. Eshialand
  24. Qasden
  25. Venmere
  26. StrayaRoos
  27. The Sevens Federation
  28. Pius Desurongcrandis
Last edited by Graintfjall on Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports