NATION

PASSWORD

Is the ERA passed?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Is the ERA now the 28th Amendment?

Yes
No votes
No
33%
Unsure
67%

Total votes : 3

Maugrym
Attaché

Founded: Jul 15, 2021
Ex-Nation

Is the ERA passed?

Postby Maugrym » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:49 pm

VIrginia became the 28th state to pass the Equal Rights Amendment in 2019-- or did it? Several states have reversed their ruling or had sunset clauses; others argue that the Congressional-imposed deadline may or may not be constitutional. Several states are fighting to have it recognized, with opponents and proponents alike taking it to court. The DC Circuit Appeals Court is set to hear the appeal briefs no later than Feb. 23.

What are your thoughts on the matter? Is it passed or not? Are congressional deadlines constitutional?

My Thoughts:
I believe that the DC CAC will take up the case; how they rule is a tossup as there is a 9-8 conservative majority with a large number of moderates and centrists. I do not believe that congressional deadlines for amendments are constitutional as there is no mention of them in the Constitution. If approved by the Court, I think that this would be the last amendment to be ratified anytime soon. I also do not believe that revoking ratification or establishing sunset clauses are constitutional; what if the original 13 colonies decided that the current government wasn't working and decided to un-ratify the Constitution altogether?
Disqualify Trump for a 2nd term for violating federal law. - Sign the Petition! https://sign.moveon.org/petitions/prosecute-trump-for-stealing-documents

Hemakral
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 02, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Hemakral » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:52 pm

I think this belongs in the American Politics thread
._.

Maugrym
Attaché

Founded: Jul 15, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Maugrym » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:59 pm

Hemakral wrote:I think this belongs in the American Politics thread

I considered that but chose not to create a post there believing that it does not just affect American politics but global politics given America's struggle to support civil/equal rights in the not-so-distant past.
Disqualify Trump for a 2nd term for violating federal law. - Sign the Petition! https://sign.moveon.org/petitions/prosecute-trump-for-stealing-documents

Hemakral
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 02, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Hemakral » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:10 am

Maugrym wrote:
Hemakral wrote:I think this belongs in the American Politics thread

I considered that but chose not to create a post there believing that it does not just affect American politics but global politics given America's struggle to support civil/equal rights in the not-so-distant past.

you'll get more exposure in AP9 and this'd definitely fit, but meh
you do you, man
._.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:13 am

It's not passed so far as I know. Andy Schlafley's mom (of Conservapedia fame) defeated the ERA back in 1979. The entire process would need to start over again from scratch if another attempt is to be tried.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Kerwa
Minister

Founded: Jul 24, 2021
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Kerwa » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:33 am

I think it just needs the senate to pass removing the expiration limits now. TBH I haven’t followed it closely. It should be adopted though because there’s no reason not to. I get the argument that it’s no longer needed, but it would be good to make it explicit.

Utquiagvik
Minister

Founded: Nov 04, 2021
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Utquiagvik » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:39 am

I don't think its officially passed yet but it may pass soon.
Utquiagvik, a war criminal’s paradise.
Known for its ruined cities and addiction to war.
Jimmy Aligatami welcomes you to Utquiagvik.

Democratic Utquiagvik has returned. Don’t worry, we are still evil.
Founder of the ADTO, and Member of The KTO, UCN, VA, SATA, ATO, FWC, POID and DAD.

Sensorland
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sensorland » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:49 am

Legally, I think it's murky. I hope it's considered passed, but with all the sunset clauses and revocations and whatnot, it'll be an uphill battle to get it recognized for sure.
Sensorland of the West Pacific
I mostly use NS stats
Just here to have a good time
Author of issue #1325
Social liberal, Georgist, atheist, vegan

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General