NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Gift the Gifted with Gifts (and Taxes)?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Welfared New Ukraine
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 28, 2021
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Gift the Gifted with Gifts (and Taxes)?

Postby Welfared New Ukraine » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:37 pm

Hello. This is my a draft for a recent issue idea that I have come up with. I'm open for any constructive criticism one may have. If there are no more suggestions before January 29th, I will submit the issue.
Gift the Gifted with Gifts (and Taxes)?
A recent dilemma has stirred up after a contestant from the popular privately-owned @@DENONYM@@ game show, Gift of Greatness, won the biggest prize - 550,000 @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ and a car, but came home with nearly nothing after the @@NAME@@ Revenue Department demanded that he pay a 97% tax on the winnings. Government officials, avid Gift of Greatness viewers and anti-tax activists have all asked you to take a stance on the situation.

Invalid for nations with the policies of State Press and No Internet.

Option 1
“This is truly outrageous!” claims popular anti-tax activist and possible Azlheimer’s disease victim @@RANDOMNAME@@, “Back in my day, one would barely have to pay a dollar towards the government…at least that’s how I remember it. Now what? You want to levy taxes on people if they WIN something?! That makes about as much sense as a tax on twin births… or have we already tried that?” As they walk away, you can hear them muttering about old age and memory.

Fallout: Revenue Department officials often complain about how their job lacks excitement.

This option is accessible to all nations.

Option 2
“Woah, slow down there, old man!” exclaims your Minister of the Revenue Department, @@RANDOMNAME@@, “You see, we actually are not going far enough with such tax laws. I want, I mean, studies show that people will feel better if we raise this 97% tax rate to 100%! Even better, 110%! No, no, 125%!” As they exit, you can hear them reciting exponentially increasing numbers that you suspect may be their wanted tax raise.

Fallout: Game show contestants all fear crippling debt and have been mostly replaced by robots.

Option 3
“Hey, I won the game show, I should get a voice too!” states the winner of said game show, @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, “There is an easy way to make both sides of this argument happy - Just lower this tax rate to a reasonable amount. Something like 10 to 15 percent should work just fine. Just think about it. It’s a win-win!” As he leaves the room, he suddenly stops and exclaims, “Oh, and give me back the money I deserve.”

Fallout: Game show contestants no longer have to hide their existence from the government.

Option 4
A man in a dark suit and tie appears almost instantly in your room. Before you have any time to ask him who he is, he comes up to your ear and starts whispering, “I have zee perfekt solution to zee problem!! Just lock up all such unvorzee vinners and strip zem of zeir winnings. Zen sell zee vinners as slaves to ozerr kountries! Eet might be slightly unezikal, but zink of all of ze money it vould make! Of kourse, for such a zing to work, one vould need a trustvorzee host that might be vispering in your ear right now to replace all koorrent game show hosts in our kountry.” The man laughs and disappears as quickly as he arrived.
Fallout: The government refuses to solve the case of the disappearing game show winners.

Title: Gift the Gifted with Gifts (and Taxes)?
Description: A recent dilemma has stirred up after a contestant from the popular privately-owned @@DENONYM@@ game show, Gift of Greatness, won the biggest prize - 550,000 @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ and a car, but came home with nearly nothing after the @@NAME@@ Revenue Department demanded that he pay a 97% tax on the winnings. Government officials, avid Gift of Greatness viewers and anti-tax activists have all asked you to take a stance on the situation.

Invalid for nations with the policies of State Press and No Internet.

Option 1
“This is truly outrageous!” claims popular anti-tax activist and possible Azlheimer’s disease victim @@RANDOMNAME@@, “Back in my day, one would barely have to pay a dollar towards the government…at least that’s how I remember it. Now what? You want to levy taxes on people if they WIN something?! That makes about as much sense as a tax on twin births… or have we already tried that?” As they walk away, you can hear them muttering about old age and memory.

Fallout: Revenue Department officials often complain about how their job lacks excitement.

Option 2
“Woah, slow down there, old man!” exclaims your Minister of the Revenue Department, @@RANDOMNAME@@, “You see, we actually are not going far enough with such tax laws. I want, I mean, studies show that people will feel better if we raise this 97% tax rate to 100%! Even better, 110%! No, no, 125%!” As they exit, you can hear them reciting exponentially increasing numbers that you suspect may be their wanted tax raise.

Fallout: Game show contestants all fear crippling debt and have been mostly replaced by robots.

Option 3
“Hey, I won the game show, I should get a voice too!” states the winner of said game show, @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, “There is an easy way to make both sides of this argument happy - Just lower this tax rate to a reasonable amount. Something like 10 to 15 percent should work just fine. Just think about it. It’s a win-win!” As he leaves the room, he suddenly stops and exclaims, “Oh, and give me back the money I deserve.”

Fallout: Game show contestants no longer have to hide their existence from the government.

Option 4
A man in a dark suit and tie appears almost instantly in your room. Before you have any time to ask him who he is, he comes up to your ear and starts whispering, “Sir, I have the perfect solution to the problem! Just lock up all such unworthy winners and strip them of their winnings. Then sell the winners as slaves to other countries. It might be slightly unethical, but think of all of the money it would make!” The man then disappears as quickly as he arrived.

Fallout: The government refuses to solve the case of the disappearing game show winners.

Last edited by Welfared New Ukraine on Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ostrovskiy
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 01, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ostrovskiy » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:55 am

Pretty good, but I think it would benefit from some humor.
Elected Director of the Union of Democratic States

Senior Warden, TGW | Lieutenant, UDSAF
First person to complete the lavenderest collection in Season 3, Best Rarity Collection of 2023 (as voted by the Cardens)
SCR#439, SCR#444, GAR#674, SCR#471, SCR#492, SCR#493, Issue #1622

Sleet: You are a Zionist and think anti-Zionism is anti-semitism. Me: y e s

Welfared New Ukraine
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 28, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Welfared New Ukraine » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:31 pm

Ostrovskiy wrote:Pretty good, but I think it would benefit from some humor.

So what do you think about making the character in the last option have a strange, possibly russian/german accent to slightly humourize his foreign status. Maybe something like this is what I have in mind:
Option 4
A man in a dark suit and tie appears almost instantly in your room. Before you have any time to ask him who he is, he comes up to your ear and starts whispering, “I have zee perfekt solution to zee problem!! Just lock up all such unvorzee vinners and strip zem of zeir winnings. Zen sell zee vinners as slaves to ozerr kountries! Eet might be slightly unezikal, but zink of all of ze money it vould make! Of kourse, for such a zing to work, one vould need a trustvorzee host that might be vispering in your ear right now to replace all koorrent game show hosts in our kountry.” The man laughs and disappears as quickly as he arrived.

Ostrovskiy
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 01, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ostrovskiy » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:23 am

Welfared New Ukraine wrote:
Ostrovskiy wrote:Pretty good, but I think it would benefit from some humor.

So what do you think about making the character in the last option have a strange, possibly russian/german accent to slightly humourize his foreign status. Maybe something like this is what I have in mind:
Option 4

Yes, that would be funny without making it hard to follow.
Elected Director of the Union of Democratic States

Senior Warden, TGW | Lieutenant, UDSAF
First person to complete the lavenderest collection in Season 3, Best Rarity Collection of 2023 (as voted by the Cardens)
SCR#439, SCR#444, GAR#674, SCR#471, SCR#492, SCR#493, Issue #1622

Sleet: You are a Zionist and think anti-Zionism is anti-semitism. Me: y e s

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:11 am

Why is this happening now, and not say, 150 times prior? Also, why would anyone go on a game show when there is a 97% tax on winnings?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:56 am

Hi! It’s a good start, but Australian rePublic‘s right. I’ll add that having the problem be the tax rate implies that Leader’s government either implemented the tax or at the very least endorsed the high tax rate, despite this issue not being a follow-up to anything. Consider keeping the main conflict (so much of the prize money’s being siphoned off that it’s arguably robbery), but changing the context. Perhaps it’s a not a government tax, but a maze of fees, terms, and conditions that put most of the money right back in the hosts’ pockets instead of it going to the impoverished or otherwise vulnerable people that these shows advertise to as contestants.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Return to Got Issues?