NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Prohibiting Animal Cruelty

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Princess Rainbow Sparkles
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 08, 2021
Ex-Nation

[Draft] Prohibiting Animal Cruelty

Postby Princess Rainbow Sparkles » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:42 pm

Prohibiting Animal Cruelty
A Resolution on Health/Bioethics

Recalling our past commitments to animal welfare through such resolutions as GAR#267 (Sensible Limits on Hunting), GAR#465 (Preventing Species Extinction), GAR#498 (Ban on Forced Blood Sports); and GAR#489 (Ethical Treatment of Animals in Research);

Convinced that it is inherently wrong to subject sentient creatures to unnecessary and unjustifiable pain and suffering;

Aware that people who commit cruel or malicious acts toward animals desensitize themselves and become statistically more likely to commit child abuse, domestic violence, elder abuse and other violent behaviors;

Committed to eradicating cruelty in all its forms;

The World Assembly hereby:

Defines an "animal" for the purposes of this resolution as: any member of a non-person species capable of experiencing pain and suffering, as determined by modern science.

Tasks the World Assembly Science Program with the following duties:
  • Cataloging all of the species which meet the definition of "animal" given above;
  • Publishing and regularly updating a comprehensive, easy-to-reference list of such species; and
  • Making that list readily available in a convenient format to every member nation.

Declares that it is unlawful to cruelly inflict pain or suffering on an animal. In this context, "cruelly" means inflicting pain or suffering:
  • without any purpose, or solely to cause pain or suffering;
  • to derive delight, entertainment, or pleasure from causing pain or suffering;
  • regardless of purpose, if it would be practicable to accomplish that purpose without causing pain or suffering, or with less pain or suffering.

Recalling our longstanding commitment to animal welfare, through resolutions such as GAR#199 (the Sustainable Fishing Act), GAR#224 (Promotion of Beekeeping), GAR#267 (Sensible Limits on Hunting), GAR#290 (Protecting Migratory Animals), GAR#403 (Trade Of Endangered Organisms), GAR#409 (Ocean Noise Reduction), GAR#414 (Wetland Protection Protocol), and many others;

Establishes the following definitions for this resolutions:

1. An "animal" is any non-person mammal (such as dogs, cats, and horses), bird (such as eagles, penguins, and meadowlarks), reptile (such as chameleons and turtles), amphibian (such as frogs and salamanders), or fish (such as manta rays, dolphins and salmon).

2. "Cruelty" is intentional or callous behavior which inflicts unnecessary pain or suffering. Pain or suffering is "unnecessary" when (1) there is no reasonable purpose for the behavior other than to inflict pain or suffering, or (2) the behavior inflicts pain or suffering which could have been reasonably avoided under the circumstances while still accomplishing the behavior's purpose.

Declares that animal cruelty is unlawful within all member nations.

Recalling our longstanding commitment to animal welfare, through resolutions such as GAR#199 (the Sustainable Fishing Act), GAR#224 (Promotion of Beekeeping), GAR#267 (Sensible Limits on Hunting), GAR#290 (Protecting Migratory Animals), GAR#403 (Trade Of Endangered Organisms), GAR#409 (Ocean Noise Reduction), GAR#414 (Wetland Protection Protocol), and many others;

Defines cruelty as the intentional or callous infliction of pain or suffering.

Declares that animal cruelty is prohibited within all member nations.
Last edited by Princess Rainbow Sparkles on Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:49 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Minskiev
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Minskiev » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:45 pm

For this resolution, what is an animal? Are humans animals?
Minskiev/Walrus. Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms, 3x Officer. 15x WA author. Join the RRA here.

Untecna
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 02, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:09 pm

Needs better definition of "animal", and we can't really guarantee an entire ban. I'd say revise this to prevent it instead. I say that because anything involving animals and nations probably can't cover everything and prohibit something entirely, yet.
Last edited by Untecna on Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon with internet access. I am coming for your data. More for the hoard.
NFL Team: 49rs
California is the best is the worst is kinda okay
I may not be an expert on them, but I feel like I know about way too many obscure video/audio formats.
Issues Author (#1520) | Failed GA Resolution Author

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:27 pm

"Opposed. The interests of animals should always be subordinate to the interest of sapient people, even where cruelty is involved."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:28 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Opposed. The interests of animals should always be subordinate to the interest of sapient people, even where cruelty is involved."

Why?
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:29 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Opposed. The interests of animals should always be subordinate to the interest of sapient people, even where cruelty is involved."

"While the Ambassador here is throwing out his disgusting point, I'd like to mention that animals are what we are, inherently, and so his point is contradictory. While we may be sapient, the animal brethren we have should not be disrespected in such fashion."
I may not be an expert on them, but I feel like I know about way too many obscure video/audio formats.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:29 pm

Wayneactia wrote:

Why?

"Sapient creatures are innately more valuable, as being capable of higher reasoning. That, among other reason, is why it's murder to shoot a person and not an animal."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:31 pm

Untecna wrote:

"While the Ambassador here is throwing out his disgusting point, I'd like to mention that animals are what we are, inherently, and so his point is contradictory. While we may be sapient, the animal brethren we have should not be disrespected in such fashion."

"If the ambassador were paying attention, the difference between people and animals was explicit in my comment. It's diffuclt to take your delegation seriously when it disregards explicit statements."

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:33 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Wayneactia wrote:Why?

"Sapient creatures are innately more valuable, as being capable of higher reasoning. That, among other reason, is why it's murder to shoot a person and not an animal."

Hunting is one thing, as is meat processing. The animal is killed instantly, no suffering. I was questioning your statement "even where cruelty is involved".
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:33 pm

Untecna wrote:"While the Ambassador here is throwing out his disgusting point, I'd like to mention that animals are what we are, inherently, and so his point is contradictory. While we may be sapient, the animal brethren we have should not be disrespected in such fashion."

"If the ambassador were paying attention, the difference between people and animals was explicit in my comment. It's diffuclt to take your delegation seriously when it disregards explicit statements."

"Ambassador, Bell, was it? You dismiss it with a preschool comment about 'people vs. animals'. I should make myself clear here: all life constituted under animal would include sapient life, therefore placing sapient in front of animals just means we are throwing ourself into a paradox of sorts, because we are animals, though we have higher reasoning. This is basic biology."

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:34 pm

Untecna wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"If the ambassador were paying attention, the difference between people and animals was explicit in my comment. It's diffuclt to take your delegation seriously when it disregards explicit statements."

"Ambassador, Bell, was it? You dismiss it with a preschool comment about 'people vs. animals'. I should make myself clear here: all life constituted under animal would include sapient life, therefore placing sapient in front of animals just means we are throwing ourself into a paradox of sorts, because we are animals, though we have higher reasoning. This is basic biology."

It's really going to devolve into this, so soon?

wait

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:37 pm

Wayneactia wrote:
Untecna wrote:"Ambassador, Bell, was it? You dismiss it with a preschool comment about 'people vs. animals'. I should make myself clear here: all life constituted under animal would include sapient life, therefore placing sapient in front of animals just means we are throwing ourself into a paradox of sorts, because we are animals, though we have higher reasoning. This is basic biology."

It's really going to devolve into this, so soon?

OOC: Perhaps.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:37 pm

Wayneactia wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Sapient creatures are innately more valuable, as being capable of higher reasoning. That, among other reason, is why it's murder to shoot a person and not an animal."

Hunting is one thing, as is meat processing. The animal is killed instantly, no suffering. I was questioning your statement "even where cruelty is involved".

"Many would argue that slaughter is innately cruel. Despite that, we continue to slaughter animals for food, ambassador."

Untecna wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"If the ambassador were paying attention, the difference between people and animals was explicit in my comment. It's diffuclt to take your delegation seriously when it disregards explicit statements."

"Again, ambassador, your inability to interpret explicit statements is not our failing. I made the distinction between sapient and non-sapient by qualifying 'people'. This is a tiresome, yet constant, failing of your delegation."
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Untecna
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:40 pm

Wayneactia wrote:Hunting is one thing, as is meat processing. The animal is killed instantly, no suffering. I was questioning your statement "even where cruelty is involved".

"Many would argue that slaughter is innately cruel. Despite that, we continue to slaughter animals for food, ambassador."

Untecna wrote:"Ambassador, Bell, was it? You dismiss it with a preschool comment about 'people vs. animals'. I should make myself clear here: all life constituted under animal would include sapient life, therefore placing sapient in front of animals just means we are throwing ourself into a paradox of sorts, because we are animals, though we have higher reasoning. This is basic biology."

"Again, ambassador, your inability to interpret explicit statements is not our failing. I made the distinction between sapient and non-sapient by qualifying 'people'. This is a tiresome, yet constant, failing of your delegation."

"May I also point out you made no mention as to why we should let these bretheren of ours suffer? They have the gift of life, just as us, shouldn't we consider them lucky? Perhaps they deserve more respect than you perceive them to need..."

WayNeacTia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:42 pm

Wayneactia wrote:Hunting is one thing, as is meat processing. The animal is killed instantly, no suffering. I was questioning your statement "even where cruelty is involved".

And many would be wrong, but I digress. Either way, I do not believe that you believe that wanton cruelty to animals is necessary in any way.

wait

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:46 pm

Untecna wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Many would argue that slaughter is innately cruel. Despite that, we continue to slaughter animals for food, ambassador."

"May I also point out you made no mention as to why we should let these bretheren of ours suffer? They have the gift of life, just as us, shouldn't we consider them lucky? Perhaps they deserve more respect than you perceive them to need..."

"Only insofar as the interests of respecting them does not conflict with the interests of persons. All activity where persons' interests conflict with that of animals' are resolved in favor of persons. That's why we tolerate pest extermination for the health and comfort of persons, why we use beasts of burden for their labor without compensation, why we slaughter animals, raised in pens, for flesh and hide. The superiority of person is essential to the premise of universal human rights, since what matters morally is merely personhood. Without that essentialism, there is no normative principal on which to protect human rights."

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:47 pm

Wayneactia wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Many would argue that slaughter is innately cruel. Despite that, we continue to slaughter animals for food, ambassador."

And many would be wrong, but I digress. Either way, I do not believe that you believe that wanton cruelty to animals is necessary in any way.

"I cannot think of a situation where wanton cruelty is necessary, but, then, is not that innately subjective, ambassador? Vegans would call slaughter of a chicken for meat wantonly cruel."

Apatosaurus
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 17, 2020
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Apatosaurus » Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:13 pm

Ambassador Scott "The Apatosaurusian Delegation maintains a strong stance in support of non-sapient animal rights, and as such, we are fully supportive of the principle. However, we believe that this resolution is not sufficient for the standards of this institution. Firstly, define an "animal" as per what Wallace Russell said. Secondly, the definition of "cruelty" is very vague -- swatting a fly likely causes pain to that fly, but should not be prohibited by international law for obvious reasons, for example."

OOC: Besides those points, you really seem like a puppet of somebody? If so, who?
This signature stands with Palestine.

End the continued practice of bombing houses, museums, refugee camps, ambulances, and churches.
WA Ambassador: Ambrose Scott; further detail on WA delegation in factbooks. Nation overview.

Comfed
Minister

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:38 pm

Meh. What does “intentional and callous” even mean? This should really get into specifics rather than a very vague blanket ban.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:43 pm

Spraying water at an insect in the shower = breaking international law
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

ImARealPerson
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby ImARealPerson » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:55 am

Because of the ambiguity of the definition of "cruelty," one might argue that harvesting animals for food would be banned under this proposal. This needs to be refined to clear up any confusion. Ultimately, my support wanes on what "cruelty" would be banned. Should hunting be banned under this proposal? The harvesting of meat? The breeding of animals? The use of animals in experiments? Do not take it lightly that the WA hosts a plethora of nations, many that find it agreeable to disregard the welfare of animals to a significant degree; this issue to them might seem little more than trite. Even with a better definition of cruelty, I cannot see this proposal getting through the GA.

Texkentuck
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 17, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Texkentuck » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:23 am

I remember back in the WA we put fourth rules on humane treatment of farm animals. The proposal had to do with agriculture and animals. None of my suggestions went through or were read. It went from making sure farm animals were not moved with cattle prongs. Also prevented horrible forms of slaughter. I don't remember what the proposal was but it was weak in nature to protecting the farm animals.

Perhaps make it a proposal in how farm animals are protected and humanely processed. It's moderate because everyone will get their meat. Also add in farm animals can not be given a drug that makes them grow bigger un-naturally for the sake of profit. No one wants to eat fake meat.

In addition add in that computer chips can do aniamal research. No reason to torture dogs in cages with flies eating their flesh or lab rats put to death for no real reason when it can be all researched by technology on a computer...

Pres. Schirkophf
UCCR
Last edited by Texkentuck on Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Xanthorrhoea
Envoy

Founded: Aug 22, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Xanthorrhoea » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:52 am

Texkentuck wrote:Perhaps make it a proposal in how farm animals are protected and humanely processed. It's moderate because everyone will get their meat. Also add in farm animals can not be given a drug that makes them grow bigger un-naturally for the sake of profit. No one wants to eat fake meat.

In addition add in that computer chips can do aniamal research. No reason to torture dogs in cages with flies eating their flesh or lab rats put to death for no real reason when it can be all researched by technology on a computer...

Pres. Schirkophf
UCCR

What would your definition of 'unnatural' be? Adding certain hormones to animals will make them grow differently, but such hormones are naturally produced to some degree by the animals anyway. If you ban exogenous hormones, what about breeding animals to produce more endogenous ones to achieve a similar effect. 'Unnatural' is a completely meaningless term when it comes to farming, eclipsed maybe only by words such as 'organic' or 'chemicals.'

What kind of animal research are you proposing can be done by computers? IRL technology is nowhere near that level, and we need to maintain some connection to the real world as a baseline for discussion. Otherwise trying to legislate for magical fantasy realms, extreme sci-fi empires, or nations full of eldrich abominations that defy the laws of physics beccomes rather pointless.

I do agree in principle however that this needs better definition. 'Callous or intentional' is too broad a standard. I'd suggest inccluding some kind of provision requiring minimal suffering wherever possible, and banning inflicting sufferring for it's own sake.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:27 am

"The debate thus far demonstrates my point. Sapient persons commit acts of cruelty that can be wanton by many standards all the time. The overriding concern ultimately collepses to utility: whether the usefulness of that infliction outweighs other considerations. Killing an animal for no reason is wrong, but killing an animal to use it or to prevent harm to sapient people or their resources is not. Any law governing animal treatment necessarily must balance utility of animal treatment against morality."

Princess Rainbow Sparkles
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 08, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Princess Rainbow Sparkles » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:11 am

I've made revisions to the draft in response to the comments so far. I hear people saying that, to even begin to debate this meaningfully, they want definitions for "animal" and "cruelty." Nobody actually suggested anything, of course, so I couldn't accommodate anyone else's views on those subjects. I provided my own thoughts, but I'm open to proposed modifications.

I do think SP's comment about needing to balance "utility" and "morality" is interesting. I've defined cruelty in a way that recognizes inflicting pain on an animal might be necessary to serve a legitimate end (suffering... I'm really not so sure). Prodding a cow to get them to move is perhaps a good, light example. In my view, inflicting pain is not cruel if it has a reasonable purpose apart from inflicting pain, and there were no less-painful reasonable alternatives under the circumstances. I think that's a fair balance that serves the purpose of this law while still allowing nations to act reasonably with respect to their use of animals. I'm certainly open to further amendments.

Some people have also stated general support for the principle but indicated that the proposal is "not sufficient for the standards of this institution" (what standards?) or "should really get into specifics rather than a very vague blanket ban." I don't know what these things mean or want from me. If you provide substantive feedback on what's missing or where this should go, I'm very much open to your input.
Last edited by Princess Rainbow Sparkles on Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly