NATION

PASSWORD

Arthur Labinjo-Hughes's abusers jailed

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Imperial States of Duotona
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 08, 2021
Ex-Nation

Arthur Labinjo-Hughes's abusers jailed

Postby Imperial States of Duotona » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:08 pm

Today in British news, the abusers and killers of six-year old Arthur Labinjo-Hughes have been jailed, with Emma Tunstin (his step-mother) receiving life with a minimum of 29 years in prison and Thomas Hughes (his father) receiving 21 years.

https://news.sky.com/story/arthur-labin ... y-12485090

The father of Arthur Labinjo-Hughes and his girlfriend have been jailed for the six-year-old's killing.

Emma Tustin, 32, was sentenced to life with a minimum of 29 years at Coventry Crown Court on Friday after she was found guilty of murdering the boy, who had been poisoned, starved and beaten in a campaign of "evil" abuse.

Her partner and Arthur's father, Thomas Hughes, 29, was sentenced to 21 years in prison after being convicted of manslaughter.

Emma Tustin and Thomas Hughes were found guilty of abusing and killing Hughes' six-year-old son
The judge said the trial had been "without doubt one of the most distressing and disturbing cases I have had to deal with".

Mr Justice Mark Wall QC told the pair: "This cruel and inhuman treatment of Arthur was a deliberate decision by you to brush off his cries for help as naughtiness."

Warning: This story contains distressing details about the treatment and subsequent death of a little boy

It comes after Arthur suffered an "unsurvivable brain injury" on 16 June 2020. He died in hospital the next day.

Tustin carried out the fatal assault while in sole care of Arthur at her home in Cranmore Road, Solihull, violently shaking him and repeatedly banging his head, likely against the hallway wall.

The 32-year-old then took a photograph of the unconscious youngster on her mobile phone and sent the message to Hughes as Arthur lay dying in the hall.

It took her 12 minutes to call 999 after ringing Hughes first, and she later lied to medics and police, saying Arthur "fell and banged his head".

The judge told Tustin she had made a "calculated" decision to kill, saying: "You are a manipulative woman who will tell any lie, and shift the blame on to anyone, to save your own skin."

He added: "You wanted Thomas Hughes so he could provide for you and your own children, but did not want to be troubled by Arthur any longer."

At the start of the pair's sentencing hearing at Coventry Crown Court on Friday, his paternal grandmother Joanne Hughes read a victim impact statement on behalf of her family.

The secondary school teacher said Arthur, as a "happy, contented, thriving seven-year-old," would "be alive today" had her son not met Tustin.

But she added: "It is also clear that Arthur was failed by the very authorities that we, as a society, are led to believe are there to ensure the safety of everyone."

In my opinion, I agree with the judge, and also believe protection for children in these cases should be ramped up, as signs of abuse were dismissed when brought up by a neighbour.
Duotona is a nation nestled in the Pacific Ocean. Marked by the scars of its bloody past, the people of Duotona persist and have given the nation a voice from which it preaches the word of peace and democracy across the globe!
Nation reflects OOC views. NS stats are sent to the shadow realm.
My Carrd, for where else I lurk online.

Senawka
Envoy

Founded: Nov 22, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Senawka » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:15 pm

Evil parents got put in jail. Good.

I don't think there's really a lot to say here.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial States of Duotona » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:18 pm

Senawka wrote:Evil parents got put in jail. Good.

The point of posting this was not only to say "woohoo these jerks got put in jail" but to also have a serious discussion about child protection in England, as when child protection came to the house only two months prior to the murder, they said nothing was wrong, despite there being clear signs of abuse, namely a massive bruise on his shoulder.
Last edited by Imperial States of Duotona on Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duotona is a nation nestled in the Pacific Ocean. Marked by the scars of its bloody past, the people of Duotona persist and have given the nation a voice from which it preaches the word of peace and democracy across the globe!

Iwassoclose
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Iwassoclose » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:21 pm

Imperial States of Duotona wrote:

The point of posting this was not only to say "woohoo these jerks got put in jail" but to also have a serious discussion about child protection in England, as when child protection came to the house only two months prior to the murder, they said nothing was wrong, despite there being clear signs of abuse, namely a massive bruise on his shoulder.

englands gotta pretty shitty record for child protection

and 20 years is not enough. make it 50 with no chance of parole

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial States of Duotona » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:24 pm

Iwassoclose wrote:
Imperial States of Duotona wrote:The point of posting this was not only to say "woohoo these jerks got put in jail" but to also have a serious discussion about child protection in England, as when child protection came to the house only two months prior to the murder, they said nothing was wrong, despite there being clear signs of abuse, namely a massive bruise on his shoulder.

In the case of the step-mother, that's the bare minimum. There's probably a high chance she's not getting out then. For the father, yes that's his sentence.

Anyway, what's the point of giving 50 when you can just give life with/without parole? That's just overkill at that point.
Last edited by Imperial States of Duotona on Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Democracy of Red Star
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 07, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Democracy of Red Star » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:24 pm

Yeah enough said.
The Democracy Of Red Star
About me; A Star Trek fan that got bored with making a nation, who now spends most of his time on NS doing whatever he finds fun.

Senawka
Envoy

Founded: Nov 22, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Senawka » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:27 pm

Imperial States of Duotona wrote: namely a massive bruise on his shoulder.

I mean, yes, child protective services failed the kid, but a bruise is hardly proof of abuse.

I was covered in bruises and cuts as a child, mainly due to playing with friends. I also had an issue that caused huge internal bleeding that required a blood transfusion. That wasn't taken as proof of abuse either.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:34 pm

Child protection in the UK has been fucked for a long time. Baby P was how many years ago now and clearly nothing has changed?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:36 pm

Iwassoclose wrote:

In the case of the step-mother, that's the bare minimum. There's probably a high chance she's not getting out then. For the father, yes that's his sentence.

Anyway, what's the point of giving 50 when you can just give life with/without parole? That's just overkill at that point.

Plus there's a very limited list of offences for which a judge can impose a whole-life tariff.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial States of Duotona » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:36 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Imperial States of Duotona wrote:The point of posting this was not only to say "woohoo these jerks got put in jail" but to also have a serious discussion about child protection in England, as when child protection came to the house only two months prior to the murder, they said nothing was wrong, despite there being clear signs of abuse, namely a massive bruise on his shoulder.

Child protection in the UK has been fucked for a long time. Baby P was how many years ago now and clearly nothing has changed?

That's why we need to pressure the government to do something instead of going to Peppa Pig World!

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:37 pm

Vassenor wrote:

It's not really fair to say it's 'fucked,' thankfully cases like this are very rare. There's little I can say about the parents that wouldn't get me warned however.
GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial States of Duotona » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:38 pm

Senawka wrote:
Imperial States of Duotona wrote: namely a massive bruise on his shoulder.

I mean, yes, child protective services failed the kid, but a bruise is hardly proof of abuse.

I was covered in bruises and cuts as a child, mainly due to playing with friends. I also had an issue that caused huge internal bleeding that required a blood transfusion. That wasn't taken as proof of abuse either.

I am the exact same, I bruise like a peach. Yet, I don't understand how the services weren't able to see how blatant this step-mother was at lying.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:00 pm

Good.

Genuinely one of the most horrific cases in a long while.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General