NATION

PASSWORD

Don’t Look At Me

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Dictatorship Union
Civilian

Founded: Sep 02, 2021
Ex-Nation

Don’t Look At Me

Postby Dictatorship Union » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:38 am

Famous millionaire Clare County received plastic surgery on her face last week, and the surgeons messed up and now her face looks like a monster. Some debate has risen.

1. “You should make sure anyone doing any kind of surgery is completely certified with numerous tests!” Screamed Clare County through your phone, refusing to do video chat or coming in or doing anything else that involves showing her face. “If you let these fake surgeons roam free then everyone will end up looking like me!”

Result: If your dream is to be a surgeon, it will be very hard.

2. “Don’t listen to her,” says Alex Bowmont, the surgeon that worked on Clare’s face. “How was I supposed to know that she had a rare birth disease that made the surgery not work! She even filled out a form saying she didn’t have that disease! This is her fault and I think that you should raise awareness for this birth disease so it doesn’t happen again! Oh, and, if she wants her face fixed, she’ll have to pay again.”

Result: If you die from surgery, it’s your fault.

3. “How do we even know her face is messed up?” Asks your Minister of Health. “None of us have seen her face so for all we known Clare County is just faking it for publicity! I say we only give it plastic surgery to those who need it!”

Result: Everyone’s dream of looking prettier has been destroyed.

4. “There is a compromise here,” says your genius grandfather. “If we take a test to see if the patient has this birth disease before the surgery, there wouldn’t be any problems. It might take a few Holy Credits but imagine Dictatorship Union being the country of prettiest people!”

Result: You now have to go through numerous tests to become pretty!

5. “Why don’t we try to cure this disease?” Asks your brother, during his visiting hours. “I mean, imagine how much Holy Credits we’ll make selling this cure to other countries! Just imagine us being the center for medicine and every country turning to us for medicine!”

Result: Medicine is one if Dictator Union’s top exports.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:27 pm

I'm entirely convinced that Clare County and Alex Bowmont are references to IRL people but I don't know which.

Do there exist any "birth diseases" in the real world with no effect other than to make you look ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTANG if you ever get a nose job? If not, then why are you pretty much hinging this issue on one existing in the NS world? (Even VODAIS, the Issuesverse's favourite sexually transmitted infection, is based off of AIDS.)
Last edited by Tinhampton on Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:16 pm

This is a matter for the courts, not for leader. You don't ban plastic surgery because there was one case of it going wrong, you sue the plastic surgeon
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Sherpa Empire
Minister

Founded: Jan 15, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Sherpa Empire » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:44 am

Tinhampton wrote:I'm entirely convinced that Clare County and Alex Bowmont are references to IRL people but I don't know which.

Do there exist any "birth diseases" in the real world with no effect other than to make you look ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTANG if you ever get a nose job? If not, then why are you pretty much hinging this issue on one existing in the NS world? (Even VODAIS, the Issuesverse's favourite sexually transmitted infection, is based off of AIDS.)

^This.

Also, I'd suggest having fewer options, but making each option more substantial. You could have the surgery go wrong in a more specific and realistic way, and then cut out options 4 and 5.

Some ideas about how surgery could go wrong:

Infections are one of the biggest risks with plastic surgery, or really any surgery. If you go to some back alley surgeon that doesn't use good hygiene, that greatly increases the risk of infection. If you have a particularly bad infection, and they end up cutting away infected tissue, the result can be disfiguring.

It is also possible for a botched surgery to disrupt the blood supply to part of the body, so that the tissue dies from lack of blood flow. This can happen because a filler was accidentally injected into a blood vessel, or because a blood vessel was cut during surgery. (In rare cases, accidentally injecting a cosmetic filler into a blood vessel can kill you, if the clot comes loose and travels to a vital organ.)

If your surgeon is a moron or you get black market fillers, being injected with the wrong substance can be very messy. If you inject something like industrial silicone, it's not contained like an implant and it gets into the tissue, which makes it very difficult to remove. If you need to remove it because it is infected or swollen or whatever, you will have to cut it out and do a lot of damage to the surrounding tissue in the process. In some cases, black market fillers can harden inside the body so you have weird chunks.

Too many nose jobs can weaken the structure of the nose. If it collapses, it looks like crap and can also make it harder to breathe.

And then sometimes people just misjudge how much surgery they need, and the results look weird.
Last edited by The Sherpa Empire on Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།
Following new legislation in The Sherpa Empire, life is short but human kindness is endless.
Alternate IC names: Sherpaland, Pharak

Return to Got Issues?