NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Commend Kowani

A chamber dedicated to the dissemination of inter-regional peace and goodwill, via force if necessary.
User avatar
The North Polish Union
Senator
 
Posts: 3637
Founded: Nov 13, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

[DRAFT] Commend Kowani

Postby The North Polish Union » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:22 am

Its been a while since I attempted a C&C, and based on my perusals of recent commendations, the way they're structured has changed in the last 5 years or so. Suggestions for improvements are welcome.

In particular, I'd like a ruling on the legality of the "APPLAUDING" clause. I did my best to keep it within SC rules, but from what I could find nothing like this has been seriously attempted before so there wasn't any precedent to work from.

The Security Council;

RECOGNIZING Kowani as a nation whose leadership has contributed at a high level to many areas, including both regional and broader international affairs;

GRATEFUL for Kowani’s services to League of Constructed Languages (LoCL) and its successor, Council of Constructed Languages (CoCL) and particularly for aiding alongside several other figures in the relocation from LoCL to CoCL after the former region’s security was compromised in 2019, helping to successfully integrate refugees from the former region and keeping the region's activity alive despite the disaster;

NOTING that Kowani continues to serve CoCL as a Liberation Minister, and as such is responsible, with the other Liberation Ministers, for much of the administration and protection of the region as well as being the first point of greeting for new nations joining the region;

ASTOUNDED at the beauty and high degree of lexical development found in the Kowani language, a linguistically sophisticated Romance language unique to the nation;

OBSERVING that Kowani has made a great commitment to furthering international diplomacy, doing such things as participating in both the International Socialist Congress and the International Senate; using their World Assembly delegation to give helpful feedback to authors of numerous General Assembly proposals; and particularly, founding the Romance Language Foundation;

ACKNOWLEDGING that Kowani is a significant contributor to those meeting-places where world leaders come together to discuss and debate hypothetical events outside the multiverse, and has been cited as notable for its research- and data-driven contributions in those areas;

APPLAUDING Kowani’s leadership's further efforts to provide high-quality information to such discussions by providing services as a sort of aggregator, which has significantly and outstandingly helped enable leaders of other nations to keep well-informed;

BELIEVING that the nation of Kowani has contributed greatly to international affairs;

THIS BODY does hereby commend Kowani.
Last edited by The North Polish Union on Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
Topid wrote:the sock puppet of my enemy is just the hand of my enemy in a warm and fuzzy wrapping.
Petrovsegratsk wrote:NPU, I know your clearly a Polish nationalist, but wtf is up with your obssession with resurrecting the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth?
The yoshin empire wrote:Grouping russians with slavs is like grouping germans with french , the two are so culturally different.

.
Balansujcie dopóki się da, a gdy się już nie da, podpalcie świat!
Poland can into Moscow! And space!
POLAND
STRONG!

User avatar
The North Polish Union
Senator
 
Posts: 3637
Founded: Nov 13, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby The North Polish Union » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:23 am

The Security Council;

RECOGNIZING this body’s long tradition of commending exemplary nations for their contributions to international culture and stability;

NOTING Kowani as a nation that whose leadership contributed at a high level to many areas, including both regional affairs and broader international affairs;

PLEASED by Kowani’s services to League of Constructed Languages (LoCL) and its successor, Council of Constructed Languages (CoCL); and particularly

GRATEFUL that Kowani (among others) aided many of its fellow nations in the relocation from LoCL to CoCL after the former region’s security was compromised in 2019; and

GLADDENED by the fact that CoCL managed to successfully integrate refugees from Council for Constructed Languages under the leadership of a group of nations that included Kowani;

NOTING that Kowani continues to serve CoCL as Liberation Minister and is the first point of greeting for new nations joining the region;

ASTOUNDED at the beauty and high degree of lexical development found in the Kowani language, a linguistically sophisticated Romance language unique to the nation;

PLEASED that in spite of such a potential language barrier, Kowani has taken an important role in international affairs even outside its region;

OBSERVING that Kowani participation in the International Socialist Congress and the International Senate, its World Assembly delegation’s feedback to authors of numerous General Assembly proposals, and particularly its founding of the Romance Language Foundation are exemplary of Kowani’s commitment to furthering international diplomacy;

APPLAUDING Kowani’s significant contributions to NationStates General, where world leaders come together to discuss and debate hypothetical events outside the multiverse and where Kowani has been cited as notable for its research- and data-driven contributions to that institution;

BELIEVING that the Security Council ought to recognize nations such as Kowani that have contributed greatly to international affairs;

THIS BODY does hereby commend Kowani.


The Security Council;

RECOGNIZING Kowani as a nation that whose leadership contributed at a high level to many areas, including both regional affairs and broader international affairs;

PLEASED by Kowani’s services to League of Constructed Languages (LoCL) and its successor, Council of Constructed Languages (CoCL); and particularly

GRATEFUL that Kowani (among others) aided many of its fellow nations in the relocation from LoCL to CoCL after the former region’s security was compromised in 2019 that CoCL managed to successfully integrate refugees from Council for Constructed Languages under the leadership of a group of nations that included Kowani;

NOTING that Kowani continues to serve CoCL as Liberation Minister, and as such is responsible, with the other Liberation Ministers, for much of the administration and protection of the region as well as being the first point of greeting for new nations joining the region;

ASTOUNDED at the beauty and high degree of lexical development found in the Kowani language, a linguistically sophisticated Romance language unique to the nation;

PLEASED that in spite of such a potential language barrier, Kowani has taken an important role in international affairs even outside its region;

OBSERVING that Kowani participation in the International Socialist Congress and the International Senate, its World Assembly delegation’s feedback to authors of numerous General Assembly proposals, and particularly its founding of the Romance Language Foundation are exemplary of Kowani’s commitment to furthering international diplomacy;

ACKNOWLEDGING that Kowani is a significant contributor to those meeting-places where world leaders come together to discuss and debate hypothetical events outside the multiverse, and has been cited as notable for its research- and data-driven contributions to that institution;

APPLAUDING Kowani’s further efforts to provide high-quality information to such discussions by acting in many ways as a de facto news service/aggregator, a service which enables other nations to keep well-informed;

BELIEVING that the Security Council ought to recognize nations such as Kowani that have contributed greatly to international affairs;

THIS BODY does hereby commend Kowani.


The Security Council;

RECOGNIZING Kowani as a nation whose leadership has contributed at a high level to many areas, including both regional and broader international affairs;

GRATEFUL for Kowani’s services to League of Constructed Languages (LoCL) and its successor, Council of Constructed Languages (CoCL) and particularly for aiding alongside several other figures in the relocation from LoCL to CoCL after the former region’s security was compromised in 2019, helping to successfully integrate refugees from the former region, helping to keep the regions activity alive after a disaster;

NOTING that Kowani continues to serve CoCL as a Liberation Minister, and as such is responsible, with the other Liberation Ministers, for much of the administration and protection of the region as well as being the first point of greeting for new nations joining the region;

ASTOUNDED at the beauty and high degree of lexical development found in the Kowani language, a linguistically sophisticated Romance language unique to the nation;

OBSERVING that Kowani has made a great commitment to furthering international diplomacy, doing such things as participating in both the International Socialist Congress and the International Senate; using their World Assembly delegation to give helpful feedback to authors of numerous General Assembly proposals; and particularly, founding the Romance Language Foundation;

ACKNOWLEDGING that Kowani is a significant contributor to those meeting-places where world leaders come together to discuss and debate hypothetical events outside the multiverse, and has been cited as notable for its research- and data-driven contributions in those areas;

APPLAUDING Kowani’s leadership's further efforts to provide high-quality information to such discussions by providing services as a sort of aggregator, which enables leaders of other nations to keep well-informed;

BELIEVING that the nation of Kowani has contributed greatly to international affairs;

THIS BODY does hereby commend Kowani.
Last edited by The North Polish Union on Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Topid wrote:the sock puppet of my enemy is just the hand of my enemy in a warm and fuzzy wrapping.
Petrovsegratsk wrote:NPU, I know your clearly a Polish nationalist, but wtf is up with your obssession with resurrecting the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth?
The yoshin empire wrote:Grouping russians with slavs is like grouping germans with french , the two are so culturally different.

.
Balansujcie dopóki się da, a gdy się już nie da, podpalcie świat!
Poland can into Moscow! And space!
POLAND
STRONG!

User avatar
Giovanniland
Diplomat
 
Posts: 655
Founded: Aug 10, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Giovanniland » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:57 pm

While there may be some commendable actions (such as their NSG comments; I don't look at those forums often, but they seem to always post useful links to news reports and such), I don't think they quite meet the level of a SC commendation. Nevertheless, here is some feedback if you continue to pursue it:

The North Polish Union wrote:RECOGNIZING this body’s long tradition of commending exemplary nations for their contributions to international culture and stability;

I don't think this clause is needed, the second one is a good enough introduction to the nominee's contributions.

The North Polish Union wrote:PLEASED by Kowani’s services to League of Constructed Languages (LoCL) and its successor, Council of Constructed Languages (CoCL); and particularly

What services? Examples of commendable actions should be given.

The North Polish Union wrote:GRATEFUL that Kowani (among others) aided many of its fellow nations in the relocation from LoCL to CoCL after the former region’s security was compromised in 2019; and

GLADDENED by the fact that CoCL managed to successfully integrate refugees from Council for Constructed Languages under the leadership of a group of nations that included Kowani;

Since these clauses both talk about securing communities through regional moves, I think you could rewrite them as one.

The North Polish Union wrote:NOTING that Kowani continues to serve CoCL as Liberation Minister and is the first point of greeting for new nations joining the region;

Likewise, the role of the Liberation Minister should also be specified here (unless it is to greet new nations - and even then, almost all regions have a similar role, so you'd need to expand on what is unique about their actions).

The North Polish Union wrote:ASTOUNDED at the beauty and high degree of lexical development found in the Kowani language, a linguistically sophisticated Romance language unique to the nation;

PLEASED that in spite of such a potential language barrier, Kowani has taken an important role in international affairs even outside its region;

While constructed languages are often interesting, I don't think creating one would be particularly commendable since hundreds of nations have done that. Of course, since I don't know much about NS forum roleplay / regional roleplay outside my region, do feel free to point me to posts that would potentially prove that their conlang is particularly remarkable among the international roleplay community.
Last edited by Giovanniland on Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giovanniland
Guardian of the West and Minister without Portfolio
Former Speaker of the Hall of Nations of TWP (x3)
Trading Card Collector (#1 for bank, briefly #1 for deck value)
WA Author (SC#364, SC#372, SC#373)

The Kingdom of Giovanniland - Giovannilandian Artwork Ministry - The Collection Collection Thread

User avatar
Comfed
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1358
Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:59 pm

I don't really think Kowani meets SC commendation standards.
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, everybody dies.
Lord Dominator wrote:
10000 Islands Foreign Affairs wrote:~The population of 10000 Islands suffered a huge increase
I mean, if it’s that terrible I’m sure someone else will take them…

Frenchy: grub would be so proud knowing his descendants are the best raiders of their time and they’re queer

User avatar
Outer Sparta
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13145
Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Outer Sparta » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:06 pm

Not a rather commendable nominee. Kowani's accomplishments aren't at that level.
social democracy, environmental protection, universal healthcare, free college, social equality, LGBT, pro-choice,
GOP, corporate socialism, Trump, neoconservatism, white supremacy, extreme political views, corruption

User avatar
Life During Wartime
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 3
Founded: Sep 03, 2021
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Life During Wartime » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:40 pm

APPLAUDING Kowani’s significant contributions to NationStates General, where world leaders come together to discuss and debate hypothetical events outside the multiverse and where Kowani has been cited as notable for its research- and data-driven contributions to that institution;


Despite saying the events are hypothetical, this is probably still illegal. You should try to make it more ambiguous e.g. "Praising Kowani for their data-driven contributions to debates" or whatever

User avatar
Outer Sparta
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13145
Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Outer Sparta » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:49 pm

Life During Wartime wrote:
APPLAUDING Kowani’s significant contributions to NationStates General, where world leaders come together to discuss and debate hypothetical events outside the multiverse and where Kowani has been cited as notable for its research- and data-driven contributions to that institution;


Despite saying the events are hypothetical, this is probably still illegal. You should try to make it more ambiguous e.g. "Praising Kowani for their data-driven contributions to debates" or whatever

I don't view NSG contributions as rather commend-worthy. It's an OOC site of real-world commentary and debate, and those don't merit anything in terms of SC recognition.
social democracy, environmental protection, universal healthcare, free college, social equality, LGBT, pro-choice,
GOP, corporate socialism, Trump, neoconservatism, white supremacy, extreme political views, corruption

User avatar
Sincluda
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 412
Founded: Feb 05, 2021
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sincluda » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:53 pm

Whilst I'd argue that Kowani is the most commendable NSGer... Kowani isn't quite commendable imo.
He/Him (for info, don't worry if you misgender me, idc)
Senator for Europeia
Fight the climate crisis!
WA Ambassador/Sincludan Prime Ambassador: Harrison Raiken

User avatar
Outer Sparta
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13145
Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Outer Sparta » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:54 pm

Sincluda wrote:Whilst I'd argue that Kowani is the most commendable NSGer... Kowani isn't quite commendable imo.

NSG is the least c/c area on the site other than stats. After all, the OOC parts of the forum do not pertain to any actual achievements for the nation itself.
social democracy, environmental protection, universal healthcare, free college, social equality, LGBT, pro-choice,
GOP, corporate socialism, Trump, neoconservatism, white supremacy, extreme political views, corruption

User avatar
CoraSpia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12962
Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Anarchy

Postby CoraSpia » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:54 pm

The comments do make me wonder what an nsger would have to do to get commended, if Kowani doesn't make the grade. Seems far easier for a gameplayer or to a lesser extent a roleplayer to gain recognition before we even get into the matter of how difficult it is to phrase things to include nsg within the rules.
GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

User avatar
The North Polish Union
Senator
 
Posts: 3637
Founded: Nov 13, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby The North Polish Union » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:43 am

Re: Kowani not being a commendable nominee, I respectfully (and obviously) disagree. Kowani has contributed to many parts of the game, including both RP and regional development, both of which have seen C&Cs pass. His area of greatest activity is definitely NSG though. While I agree that most of NSG (and most NSGers) are not commendable, and the OOC nature of the forum makes commendation-worthiness difficult, Kowani appears to be an exception. I do not intend to ry to pass a C&C of any other NSGers, and were this to pass successfully I find it difficult to imagine future C&Cs would fare well given the nature of the forum.

Re: the legality of the NSG clause. I believe the clause as written is within SC rules. The clause avoids denying the reality of the NS multiverse from the SC's perspective and thus keeps the commendation entirely IC. The phrase "NationStates General" is one that may also be a cause for legality concerns. but since the resolution refers to it as a sort of meeting-place for national leaders I believe it falls within the rules and remains IC. In any case, if any part of this resolution is ruled illegal I would be happy to modify it to comply with SC reules.

Giovanniland wrote:While there may be some commendable actions (such as their NSG comments; I don't look at those forums often, but they seem to always post useful links to news reports and such), I don't think they quite meet the level of a SC commendation. Nevertheless, here is some feedback if you continue to pursue it:

The North Polish Union wrote:RECOGNIZING this body’s long tradition of commending exemplary nations for their contributions to international culture and stability;

I don't think this clause is needed, the second one is a good enough introduction to the nominee's contributions.

This isn't something I'm going to change right away, but I'll definitely consider it going forward and see how it meshes with the rest of the resolution.

Giovanniland wrote:
The North Polish Union wrote:PLEASED by Kowani’s services to League of Constructed Languages (LoCL) and its successor, Council of Constructed Languages (CoCL); and particularly

What services? Examples of commendable actions should be given.

The North Polish Union wrote:GRATEFUL that Kowani (among others) aided many of its fellow nations in the relocation from LoCL to CoCL after the former region’s security was compromised in 2019; and

GLADDENED by the fact that CoCL managed to successfully integrate refugees from Council for Constructed Languages under the leadership of a group of nations that included Kowani;

Since these clauses both talk about securing communities through regional moves, I think you could rewrite them as one.

The North Polish Union wrote:NOTING that Kowani continues to serve CoCL as Liberation Minister and is the first point of greeting for new nations joining the region;

Likewise, the role of the Liberation Minister should also be specified here (unless it is to greet new nations - and even then, almost all regions have a similar role, so you'd need to expand on what is unique about their actions).

I'm lumping these together because they all deal with similar things. last three clauses in this section are the support for the first once. I can agree that the second and third clauses are probably better combined. and will further clarify what the Liberation Minister's role is in the second draft.

Giovanniland wrote:
The North Polish Union wrote:ASTOUNDED at the beauty and high degree of lexical development found in the Kowani language, a linguistically sophisticated Romance language unique to the nation;

PLEASED that in spite of such a potential language barrier, Kowani has taken an important role in international affairs even outside its region;

While constructed languages are often interesting, I don't think creating one would be particularly commendable since hundreds of nations have done that. Of course, since I don't know much about NS forum roleplay / regional roleplay outside my region, do feel free to point me to posts that would potentially prove that their conlang is particularly remarkable among the international roleplay community.

I think that Kowani (and most of the other members of CoCL) have developed conlangs that are fleshed out to a degree that most others are not. I'm also not aware of conlangs (as in actually developed/utilized languages, not simply references to [insert national language here]) are as common on this site as you think.
Topid wrote:the sock puppet of my enemy is just the hand of my enemy in a warm and fuzzy wrapping.
Petrovsegratsk wrote:NPU, I know your clearly a Polish nationalist, but wtf is up with your obssession with resurrecting the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth?
The yoshin empire wrote:Grouping russians with slavs is like grouping germans with french , the two are so culturally different.

.
Balansujcie dopóki się da, a gdy się już nie da, podpalcie świat!
Poland can into Moscow! And space!
POLAND
STRONG!

User avatar
Outer Sparta
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13145
Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Outer Sparta » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:37 am

The North Polish Union wrote:Re: Kowani not being a commendable nominee, I respectfully (and obviously) disagree. Kowani has contributed to many parts of the game, including both RP and regional development, both of which have seen C&Cs pass. His area of greatest activity is definitely NSG though. While I agree that most of NSG (and most NSGers) are not commendable, and the OOC nature of the forum makes commendation-worthiness difficult, Kowani appears to be an exception. I do not intend to ry to pass a C&C of any other NSGers, and were this to pass successfully I find it difficult to imagine future C&Cs would fare well given the nature of the forum.

Re: the legality of the NSG clause. I believe the clause as written is within SC rules. The clause avoids denying the reality of the NS multiverse from the SC's perspective and thus keeps the commendation entirely IC. The phrase "NationStates General" is one that may also be a cause for legality concerns. but since the resolution refers to it as a sort of meeting-place for national leaders I believe it falls within the rules and remains IC. In any case, if any part of this resolution is ruled illegal I would be happy to modify it to comply with SC reules.

NSG is only OOC commentary, it has nothing to do with national leaders. I would definitely keep the RP and regional development parts, but I still don't believe that NSG is a commendable area simply because it's OOC. If we're going to commend/condemn people based on OOC forum posts, then why not commend the largest posters on the site? Focus more on Kowani's gameplay achievements and cut out the NSG filler entirely.
social democracy, environmental protection, universal healthcare, free college, social equality, LGBT, pro-choice,
GOP, corporate socialism, Trump, neoconservatism, white supremacy, extreme political views, corruption

User avatar
The North Polish Union
Senator
 
Posts: 3637
Founded: Nov 13, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby The North Polish Union » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:29 am

Outer Sparta wrote:
The North Polish Union wrote:Re: Kowani not being a commendable nominee, I respectfully (and obviously) disagree. Kowani has contributed to many parts of the game, including both RP and regional development, both of which have seen C&Cs pass. His area of greatest activity is definitely NSG though. While I agree that most of NSG (and most NSGers) are not commendable, and the OOC nature of the forum makes commendation-worthiness difficult, Kowani appears to be an exception. I do not intend to ry to pass a C&C of any other NSGers, and were this to pass successfully I find it difficult to imagine future C&Cs would fare well given the nature of the forum.

Re: the legality of the NSG clause. I believe the clause as written is within SC rules. The clause avoids denying the reality of the NS multiverse from the SC's perspective and thus keeps the commendation entirely IC. The phrase "NationStates General" is one that may also be a cause for legality concerns. but since the resolution refers to it as a sort of meeting-place for national leaders I believe it falls within the rules and remains IC. In any case, if any part of this resolution is ruled illegal I would be happy to modify it to comply with SC reules.

NSG is only OOC commentary, it has nothing to do with national leaders. I would definitely keep the RP and regional development parts, but I still don't believe that NSG is a commendable area simply because it's OOC. If we're going to commend/condemn people based on OOC forum posts, then why not commend the largest posters on the site? Focus more on Kowani's gameplay achievements and cut out the NSG filler entirely.

For many years, the prevailing attitude towards NSGP and the Gameplay forum was that it was OOC, although attitudes towards that appear to be changing in recent years. Nonetheless, many GPers were C&Ced for actions that would've been considered OOC at the time, given the community paradigm. Likewise, the GA used to be almost exclusively IC and now tends to lean much more heavily towards OOC (at least among regulars), yet GA authors still receive C&Cs.

Just as OOC GP achievements had to be 'translated' (for lack of a better term) into IC vocabulary for SC resolutions I am attempting (I believe for the first time in SC history) to do the same for NSG. As I said above, "most of NSG (and most NSGers) are not commendable, and the OOC nature of the forum makes commendation-worthiness difficult", but I do not believe it is impossible. Rather than commending for number of posts, Kowani is unique for providing a high quality of commentary rather than simple OOC opinions
Topid wrote:the sock puppet of my enemy is just the hand of my enemy in a warm and fuzzy wrapping.
Petrovsegratsk wrote:NPU, I know your clearly a Polish nationalist, but wtf is up with your obssession with resurrecting the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth?
The yoshin empire wrote:Grouping russians with slavs is like grouping germans with french , the two are so culturally different.

.
Balansujcie dopóki się da, a gdy się już nie da, podpalcie świat!
Poland can into Moscow! And space!
POLAND
STRONG!

User avatar
Outer Sparta
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13145
Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Outer Sparta » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:56 am

The North Polish Union wrote:
Outer Sparta wrote:NSG is only OOC commentary, it has nothing to do with national leaders. I would definitely keep the RP and regional development parts, but I still don't believe that NSG is a commendable area simply because it's OOC. If we're going to commend/condemn people based on OOC forum posts, then why not commend the largest posters on the site? Focus more on Kowani's gameplay achievements and cut out the NSG filler entirely.

For many years, the prevailing attitude towards NSGP and the Gameplay forum was that it was OOC, although attitudes towards that appear to be changing in recent years. Nonetheless, many GPers were C&Ced for actions that would've been considered OOC at the time, given the community paradigm. Likewise, the GA used to be almost exclusively IC and now tends to lean much more heavily towards OOC (at least among regulars), yet GA authors still receive C&Cs.

Just as OOC GP achievements had to be 'translated' (for lack of a better term) into IC vocabulary for SC resolutions I am attempting (I believe for the first time in SC history) to do the same for NSG. As I said above, "most of NSG (and most NSGers) are not commendable, and the OOC nature of the forum makes commendation-worthiness difficult", but I do not believe it is impossible. Rather than commending for number of posts, Kowani is unique for providing a high quality of commentary rather than simple OOC opinions

If you're going to include OOC NSG, then make that less filler. It shouldn't comprise the majority of Kowani's achievements.
social democracy, environmental protection, universal healthcare, free college, social equality, LGBT, pro-choice,
GOP, corporate socialism, Trump, neoconservatism, white supremacy, extreme political views, corruption

User avatar
Sedgistan
Senior Issues Moderator
 
Posts: 30989
Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:19 pm

I think your wording in the "Applauding" clause is awkward - I'd prefer to see some more work put into that (can others provide suggestions?) before providing a ruling.

I don't have an encyclopaedic knowledge of SC resolutions, but Commend The Cat-Tribe is the one of an NSGer that sticks in my mind - it could be worth reviewing that for how it presented NSG contributions. There are definitely legal ways of covering that.

As a general point, I'm fully supportive of the principle of recognising more achievements of NS tribes outside what the SC usually covers.

User avatar
The North Polish Union
Senator
 
Posts: 3637
Founded: Nov 13, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby The North Polish Union » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:35 pm

I'll definitely look at ways or suggestions to improve that clause and also look at SCR № 46, which I was not aware of. Thanks.
Last edited by The North Polish Union on Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topid wrote:the sock puppet of my enemy is just the hand of my enemy in a warm and fuzzy wrapping.
Petrovsegratsk wrote:NPU, I know your clearly a Polish nationalist, but wtf is up with your obssession with resurrecting the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth?
The yoshin empire wrote:Grouping russians with slavs is like grouping germans with french , the two are so culturally different.

.
Balansujcie dopóki się da, a gdy się już nie da, podpalcie świat!
Poland can into Moscow! And space!
POLAND
STRONG!

User avatar
Sincluda
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 412
Founded: Feb 05, 2021
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sincluda » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:38 pm

Sedgistan wrote:I think your wording in the "Applauding" clause is awkward - I'd prefer to see some more work put into that (can others provide suggestions?) before providing a ruling.

I don't have an encyclopaedic knowledge of SC resolutions, but Commend The Cat-Tribe is the one of an NSGer that sticks in my mind - it could be worth reviewing that for how it presented NSG contributions. There are definitely legal ways of covering that.

As a general point, I'm fully supportive of the principle of recognising more achievements of NS tribes outside what the SC usually covers.

Thanks for bringing that up, Sedge. I vaguely remembered it, but mostly forgot it.
He/Him (for info, don't worry if you misgender me, idc)
Senator for Europeia
Fight the climate crisis!
WA Ambassador/Sincludan Prime Ambassador: Harrison Raiken

User avatar
Outer Sparta
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13145
Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Outer Sparta » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:06 pm

The North Polish Union wrote:I'll definitely look at ways or suggestions to improve that clause and also look at SCR № 46, which I was not aware of. Thanks.

That one is quite an old one, and I am not sure of what the old ruleset was back then mentioning NSG stuff.
social democracy, environmental protection, universal healthcare, free college, social equality, LGBT, pro-choice,
GOP, corporate socialism, Trump, neoconservatism, white supremacy, extreme political views, corruption

User avatar
Lord Dominator
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7421
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Lord Dominator » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:18 pm

I’ll have better thoughts later, but if any NSGer is commendable Kowani is - and their contributions there are certainly something that’d be cool to commend.

Have you asked them if they’d like one?

User avatar
Kowani
Post Czar
 
Posts: 43302
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:02 am

Lord Dominator wrote:I’ll have better thoughts later, but if any NSGer is commendable Kowani is - and their contributions there are certainly something that’d be cool to commend.

Have you asked them if they’d like one?

waves

I haven't really participated in this debate because I didn't feel like it was proper to try and argue about a commendation of myself :lol2:
but I can confirm that TNPU reached out to me and asked my permission before going ahead with this
Last edited by Kowani on Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adjunct Professor of Cultural Marxism at the Frankfurt School
"The public" matters, that is, to the extent that they become political actors themselves.
Updating Trackers! How Congress votes, what Americans believe, redistricting, strikes, and world leader approvals

Headline of the day: Barbados removes Queen Elizabeth as Head of State, becomes world's newest Republic

User avatar
The Sherpa Empire
Minister
 
Posts: 2696
Founded: Jan 15, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Sherpa Empire » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:38 am

CoraSpia wrote:The comments do make me wonder what an nsger would have to do to get commended, if Kowani doesn't make the grade. Seems far easier for a gameplayer or to a lesser extent a roleplayer to gain recognition before we even get into the matter of how difficult it is to phrase things to include nsg within the rules.


So much this.^

Kowani's effortposts are interesting, informative, well-sourced, and even when I don't 100% agree with them, it is still clear that he put some thought into them. They are a valuable contribution to the site.

NS is both an IC and OOC community. If people can be commended for writing issues, I don't see why not for NSG content.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།
Following new legislation in The Sherpa Empire, life is short but human kindness is endless.
Alternate IC names: Sherpaland, Pharak

User avatar
Lord Dominator
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7421
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Lord Dominator » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:23 pm

Kowani wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:I’ll have better thoughts later, but if any NSGer is commendable Kowani is - and their contributions there are certainly something that’d be cool to commend.

Have you asked them if they’d like one?

waves

I haven't really participated in this debate because I didn't feel like it was proper to try and argue about a commendation of myself :lol2:
but I can confirm that TNPU reached out to me and asked my permission before going ahead with this

Wonderful

(Your instincts on being in thread are generally accurate, it’s considered a bit gauche to comment on your own C&C. I personally draw a difference about commenting on your own record vs about the C&C itself, but your mileage may vary.)

User avatar
The North Polish Union
Senator
 
Posts: 3637
Founded: Nov 13, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby The North Polish Union » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:01 pm

A second draft is up and the OP is updated. I believe this addresses most of the feedback brought up so far, and the clause (now clauses) relating to NSG have been significantly reworked. Further suggestions for improvements are appreciated.

The Security Council;

RECOGNIZING Kowani as a nation that whose leadership contributed at a high level to many areas, including both regional affairs and broader international affairs;

PLEASED by Kowani’s services to League of Constructed Languages (LoCL) and its successor, Council of Constructed Languages (CoCL); and particularly

GRATEFUL that Kowani (among others) aided many of its fellow nations in the relocation from LoCL to CoCL after the former region’s security was compromised in 2019 that CoCL managed to successfully integrate refugees from Council for Constructed Languages under the leadership of a group of nations that included Kowani;

NOTING that Kowani continues to serve CoCL as Liberation Minister, and as such is responsible, with the other Liberation Ministers, for much of the administration and protection of the region as well as being the first point of greeting for new nations joining the region;

ASTOUNDED at the beauty and high degree of lexical development found in the Kowani language, a linguistically sophisticated Romance language unique to the nation;

PLEASED that in spite of such a potential language barrier, Kowani has taken an important role in international affairs even outside its region;

OBSERVING that Kowani participation in the International Socialist Congress and the International Senate, its World Assembly delegation’s feedback to authors of numerous General Assembly proposals, and particularly its founding of the Romance Language Foundation are exemplary of Kowani’s commitment to furthering international diplomacy;

ACKNOWLEDGING that Kowani is a significant contributor to those meeting-places where world leaders come together to discuss and debate hypothetical events outside the multiverse, and has been cited as notable for its research- and data-driven contributions to that institution;

APPLAUDING Kowani’s further efforts to provide high-quality information to such discussions by acting in many ways as a de facto news service/aggregator, a service which enables other nations to keep well-informed;

BELIEVING that the Security Council ought to recognize nations such as Kowani that have contributed greatly to international affairs;

THIS BODY does hereby commend Kowani.
Topid wrote:the sock puppet of my enemy is just the hand of my enemy in a warm and fuzzy wrapping.
Petrovsegratsk wrote:NPU, I know your clearly a Polish nationalist, but wtf is up with your obssession with resurrecting the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth?
The yoshin empire wrote:Grouping russians with slavs is like grouping germans with french , the two are so culturally different.

.
Balansujcie dopóki się da, a gdy się już nie da, podpalcie świat!
Poland can into Moscow! And space!
POLAND
STRONG!

User avatar
Sincluda
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 412
Founded: Feb 05, 2021
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sincluda » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:39 pm

I said earlier that Kowani wasn't commendable, but I'm certainly having second thoughts on that.
He/Him (for info, don't worry if you misgender me, idc)
Senator for Europeia
Fight the climate crisis!
WA Ambassador/Sincludan Prime Ambassador: Harrison Raiken

User avatar
Thousand Branches
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 195
Founded: Jun 03, 2021
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Thousand Branches » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:21 am

The usual edits, you know how it is :p

The North Polish Union wrote:RECOGNIZING Kowani as a nation that whose leadership contributed at a high level to many areas, including both regional affairs and broader international affairs;

First of all, delete “that”. Second of all, “contributed” should be “has contributed”. Also delete the first “affairs” (after “regional”).

The North Polish Union wrote:PLEASED by Kowani’s services to League of Constructed Languages (LoCL) and its successor, Council of Constructed Languages (CoCL); and particularly

This clause ain’t commending nothing. If you want to change this and make all the LoCL/CoCL clauses a list, that works. Otherwise, this clause does absolutely nothing except introduce the regions they worked in, which to be frank, is not a clause commending anything and so wouldn’t belong in this proposal.

Especially considering the next two clauses, this might work better as a list. Use an edited version of this clause to introduce the region and then the next two clauses are both bullets on it.

The North Polish Union wrote:GRATEFUL that Kowani (among others) aided many of its fellow nations in the relocation from LoCL to CoCL after the former region’s security was compromised in 2019 that CoCL managed to successfully integrate refugees from Council for Constructed Languages under the leadership of a group of nations that included Kowani;

Huhhh? The grammar on this bad boy is a mess. I have so many edits on this that I’m just gonna suggest a rewrite:

GRATEFUL for Kowani’s aid in the relocation from LoCL to CoCL after the former region’s security was compromised in 2019, helping to successfully integrate refugees from the former region (optional add-on: , helping to keep the regions activity alive after a disaster)”

Look good?

The North Polish Union wrote:NOTING that Kowani continues to serve CoCL as Liberation Minister, and as such is responsible, with the other Liberation Ministers, for much of the administration and protection of the region as well as being the first point of greeting for new nations joining the region;

“as Liberation Minister” should be “as a Liberation Minister”. Otherwise, it suggests of a singular which is directly opposed if you continue reading the sentence.

The North Polish Union wrote:ASTOUNDED at the beauty and high degree of lexical development found in the Kowani language, a linguistically sophisticated Romance language unique to the nation;

Admittedly this is worded just a little bit weird. Firstly, you say both “high degree of lexical development” and “linguistically sophisticated” which mean preeeetty much the exact same thing. Also this doesn’t feel like it’s commending Kowani and rather their language? That’s probably totally on opinion but I just think this clause could generally be re-worded. I will leave that up to you as to how though.

The North Polish Union wrote:PLEASED that in spite of such a potential language barrier, Kowani has taken an important role in international affairs even outside its region;

Delete “such”. Actually just delete this clause? It doesn’t mean anything and since the Kowani language is entirely rp, commending them for… not having a language barrier is really weird. Unless there’s some genuinely amazing reason this matters (and if so, please do provide that in the clause), I’d just yeet the whole clause.

The North Polish Union wrote:OBSERVING that Kowani participation in the International Socialist Congress and the International Senate, its World Assembly delegation’s feedback to authors of numerous General Assembly proposals, and particularly its founding of the Romance Language Foundation are exemplary of Kowani’s commitment to furthering international diplomacy;

This is not readable if I’m honest. Too many long edits so here’s a rewrite that fixed your problems:

OBSERVING that Kowani has made a great commitment to furthering international diplomacy, doing such things as participating in both the International Socialist Congress and the International Senate; using their World Assembly delegation to give helpful feedback to authors of numerous General Assembly proposals; and particularly, founding the Romance Language Foundation;”

Look good?

The North Polish Union wrote:ACKNOWLEDGING that Kowani is a significant contributor to those meeting-places where world leaders come together to discuss and debate hypothetical events outside the multiverse, and has been cited as notable for its research- and data-driven contributions to that institution;

Delete the dashes, they don’t need to be there and they look weird as heck. Otherwise looks great!

The North Polish Union wrote:APPLAUDING Kowani’s further efforts to provide high-quality information to such discussions by acting in many ways as a de facto news service/aggregator, a service which enables other nations to keep well-informed;

The nation acts as a news service? Maybe the nation publishes a news service? As it is, this suggests that the nation as a whole is a news service which from an outside perspective is very wrong. I’d reword this clause a bit.

The North Polish Union wrote:BELIEVING that the Security Council ought to recognize nations such as Kowani that have contributed greatly to international affairs;

“ought to” is weird. Like I said on somebody else’s resolution a while back, writing that the security council ought to do something is the wrong way to go about this. Rather it should be saying that this person’s achievements are what makes them worthy of commendation, not some idea of what the SC should or shouldn’t be doing. As much as this sounds arrogant as hell, a commendation or condemnation, in every case, is a privilege, not a right. God I sound like my mother but you get the gist, right? I hope so :p

I know these are a lot of edits and I apologize for that, but I hope they’ve been helpful.

Have a great day!

-A
You are frikkin beautiful!! Have the best day ever my friend!!
|| Aramantha Calendula ||
○•○ Writer, editor, and World Assembly fanatic ○•○
•○• Proud member of House Elegarth •○•
○•○ Telegram or message me on discord at Aramantha#4290 for writing or editing help ○•○
•○• Have an awesome day you! •○•

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Security Council

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Advertisement

Remove ads