NATION

PASSWORD

PG13 violation/picspam

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
User avatar
Timela Meana
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 5
Founded: Sep 13, 2021
Ex-Nation

PG13 violation/picspam

Postby Timela Meana » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:49 pm

https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=38976037#p38976037

there's hundreds of images here and some of them definitely seem over the line

edit: it's back again, and still in the hundreds and causing the whole site to lag when opened
Last edited by Timela Meana on Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator
 
Posts: 26039
Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Anarchy

Postby Frisbeeteria » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:46 pm

You need to be more specific. I looked at the last 3 pages and saw nothing except a spoilered image gallery featuring a fully-clothed anime girl. Lots of legs and almost-upskirts, but nothing that actually crossed the line. If you have specific problems with specific posts, link them. You can link specific posts by clicking the little (white or red) page icon icon at the top left of the post and copying the URL.

User avatar
Timela Meana
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 5
Founded: Sep 13, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Timela Meana » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:56 pm

I did link a specific post. it was edited out after I reported it

User avatar
Nea Videssos
Minister
 
Posts: 2097
Founded: May 01, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nea Videssos » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:57 pm

If you're that bothered by my large image galleries I use for characters, enough to report one to moderation, then fine, I'll delete it (or at the very least just edit it to only have a few of the best pics). Might be arguable that it's picspam, but I disagree. As for a PG13 violation? That's nonsense. Still, if someone actually took the time to report a post to moderation, my opinion is irrelevant.

Edit to avoid double-posting and possibly spamming moderation: I'm not sure exactly what you define as PG13 violating. Is it a swimsuit? A bit of blood? When I originally made that image gallery I combed through it to make sure there was nothing explicit. Naturally, if someone happens to interpret such a thing as breaking the rules, then there's not much I can do. As for picspam, I guess what was originally just a way of gathering a selection of pics for a character appearance gradually snowballed into bigger and bigger image galleries over the years, perhaps becoming a bit excessive? I've never got into trouble for picspam before, so I'm not sure if it falls into said category. If it is classified as picspam, then perhaps I can alternatively link a smaller number of pics in a spoiler, and perhaps have any additional ones beyond that linked only via a gallery over on imgur or somewhere else instead? I guess it will also put less of a strain on people's internet/data when they click on a thread.
Last edited by Nea Videssos on Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly Videssos. Just a trap-obsessed degenerate. Also interested in history, mythology, fantasy, science fiction, metal and some other stuff.
A little bird told me, "Go, Go! Socialise! Talk to those fine people! And then, KILL EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM! Plunge your knife into their throats when they ain't lookin', and then burn 'em to the ground!"
Well that's silly, isn't it?

User avatar
Timela Meana
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 5
Founded: Sep 13, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Timela Meana » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:49 pm

bumping for visibility

User avatar
Luna Amore
Issues Moderator
 
Posts: 12831
Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:20 pm

There’s nothing to bump. The poster fixed the problem days ago.

User avatar
Timela Meana
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 5
Founded: Sep 13, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Timela Meana » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:29 pm

Luna Amore wrote:There’s nothing to bump. The poster fixed the problem days ago.


and put them back in afterward a mod looked at it, still probably close to 300 images in the thread
Last edited by Timela Meana on Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Reploid Productions
Forum Admin
 
Posts: 28389
Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Reploid Productions » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:33 pm

Nea Videssos wrote:If you're that bothered by my large image galleries I use for characters, enough to report one to moderation, then fine, I'll delete it (or at the very least just edit it to only have a few of the best pics). Might be arguable that it's picspam, but I disagree. As for a PG13 violation? That's nonsense. Still, if someone actually took the time to report a post to moderation, my opinion is irrelevant.

Edit to avoid double-posting and possibly spamming moderation: I'm not sure exactly what you define as PG13 violating. Is it a swimsuit? A bit of blood? When I originally made that image gallery I combed through it to make sure there was nothing explicit. Naturally, if someone happens to interpret such a thing as breaking the rules, then there's not much I can do. As for picspam, I guess what was originally just a way of gathering a selection of pics for a character appearance gradually snowballed into bigger and bigger image galleries over the years, perhaps becoming a bit excessive? I've never got into trouble for picspam before, so I'm not sure if it falls into said category. If it is classified as picspam, then perhaps I can alternatively link a smaller number of pics in a spoiler, and perhaps have any additional ones beyond that linked only via a gallery over on imgur or somewhere else instead? I guess it will also put less of a strain on people's internet/data when they click on a thread.

At a quick glance, I saw some flirting with the PG-13 limit (borderline upskirt shots), but even spoilered, there is NO reason you need to have a bajillion Midare (so says the Google) fanarts in a post like that. For character visualization you shouldn't need more than a couple of images to convey "This is how you should picture my character."

Unspoilered it would most certainly qualify as picspam. Spoilered is a bit more murky, but even if it isn't rulebreaking it is most certainly extremely excessive and massively inconsiderate to other users. If you want to share a gigantic collection like that, you need to put it into a dispatch or Imgur gallery and link to that. That spoiler of yours will destroy some unsuspecting user's mobile data allotment with that flood of gigantic images. I am not issuing a warning due to that slight grey area about "Well, the pics are in a spoiler...", but I am most definitely raising the matter for backstage discussion.

EDIT TO ADD: I count at least 500 images in that post. Assuming they're all around 1mb of data apiece, that is around 500mb, or HALF A GIGABYTE of data just waiting to blow up some poor shmuck's data limit.
Last edited by Reploid Productions on Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forum mod since May 8, 2003 -- Game mod since May 19, 2003 -- Nation turned 18 on March 23, 2021!
Sunset's DoGA FAQ - For those using DoGA to make their NS military and such.
One Stop Rules Shop -- Reppy's Sig Workshop -- Getting Help Page
[violet] wrote:Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Char Aznable/Giant Meteor 2024! - Forcing humanity to move into space and progress whether we goddamn want to or not!

User avatar
Timela Meana
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 5
Founded: Sep 13, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Timela Meana » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:42 pm

Reploid Productions wrote:EDIT TO ADD: I count at least 500 images in that post. Assuming they're all around 1mb of data apiece, that is around 500mb, or HALF A GIGABYTE of data just waiting to blow up some poor shmuck's data limit.


yea it was double that before, this is the "toned down" version

User avatar
Nea Videssos
Minister
 
Posts: 2097
Founded: May 01, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nea Videssos » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:34 am

Thought it was settled, but apparently not. Since it still seems to be an issue that image gallery is gone. FYI, the majority of those pics were within the 500x500 range, and the total size was 267mb. Still a bit over the top, I guess.

On a side note, sort of curious why a new nation, within minutes of being created went straight to one particular RP on P2TM to report me (back on Monday), and then proceeded to wait the entire time lurking in moderation, being active nowhere else. Just seems a little like someone created an account solely to report me. Maybe I'm just getting paranoid, though. If I am, then just ignore this comment.

Edit: Now that it's been mentioned, I'll probably use a dispatch/factbook entry in the future for these image galleries that get too big. Not sure why I never thought of that option before, outside of simply never having used that feature before on NS. Maybe I'm just dense. Now that I think about it, that's highly likely. But yeah, it's certainly easier than trying to wrangle ridiculously big image galleries into a post and have NS time out in the process. Oh well. Better late than never, I suppose?

Oh, and thanks for making me aware of that solution.
Last edited by Nea Videssos on Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
Formerly Videssos. Just a trap-obsessed degenerate. Also interested in history, mythology, fantasy, science fiction, metal and some other stuff.
A little bird told me, "Go, Go! Socialise! Talk to those fine people! And then, KILL EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM! Plunge your knife into their throats when they ain't lookin', and then burn 'em to the ground!"
Well that's silly, isn't it?

User avatar
Reploid Productions
Forum Admin
 
Posts: 28389
Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Reploid Productions » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:37 pm

T'is appreciated. Obviously no warning is going to be issued as it was sitting in a very grey area of the rules; we're currently discussing backstage what sort of rule should apply for "how many images before it counts as blatant picspam, even in a spoiler?", but odds are a limit will be coming down the pipeline, likely under the same general umbrella as the Garish Posting rule.

Also talking about a technical solution for the eventual new forums to limit the number of images per post, but that's waaaaay off in the distance still.
Forum mod since May 8, 2003 -- Game mod since May 19, 2003 -- Nation turned 18 on March 23, 2021!
Sunset's DoGA FAQ - For those using DoGA to make their NS military and such.
One Stop Rules Shop -- Reppy's Sig Workshop -- Getting Help Page
[violet] wrote:Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Char Aznable/Giant Meteor 2024! - Forcing humanity to move into space and progress whether we goddamn want to or not!


Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Advertisement

Remove ads