NATION

PASSWORD

The Convention of Laupset (IC| Meillur-Only)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Gosataborg
Spokesperson

Founded: May 03, 2021
Ex-Nation

The Convention of Laupset (IC| Meillur-Only)

Postby Gosataborg » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:48 pm

Laupset, Gosataborg
March 2132

Where the last time that the Grand Duke of Gosataborg had greeted a foreign dignitary in his country had been a fort, Fort Helvero to be exact, this time the Grand Duke intended to do so in a manor. Valpalats Manor to be exact, former home of the Archbishop of Laupset and currently used as a functions hall for the regional government. And today it would serve as host for talks between Gosataborg and Dasorres over their several border concerns as the topic had been aptly phrased.

Foreign Affairs Minister Sebastian Palme stood with Trade Minister Gustavus Carlson, the two men staying two steps behind the Grand Duke, who as head of state would lead the discussions. The Grand Duke had considered bring along his defense minister as well, but had decided that it would cause more problems than it would solve. As they were not border disputes, but rather simply concerns, it left room for solvent everything through a purely diplomatic lends.

The trio of men stood along with their staff, at the front doors of Valpalats Manor, the old beo-Renaissance style stately home turned functions hall shining in the sun, it’s heavily decorated and ornate exterior a stunning salmon color, a bright and happy color at odds with the chill of the air. Laupset was still a cold snow covered city in March. Snow lined the streets and covered the sidewalk in a thin layer of slush. It would be nice to escape the cold for the warmth inside.

Dasorres
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 11, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Dasorres » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:45 pm

Dom Américo Silvestre, Foreign Minister of Dasorres naturally lead the Dasorresan delegation through the snow towards Valpalats Manor. He was flanked by Deputy Finance Minister Balbino Barosa and Semeko Olivares. Snow was a rare sight in Dasorres, for while it had cold winters, they rarely resulted in snowstorms save in the far north of the country and at its highest altitudes on the plateau. The three men had dressed accordingly, their simply business suits and narrow ties, in the Dasorresan fashion, hidden beneath think coats.

Dom Américo Silvestre, 59, was a tall thin, but otherwise nondescript man. He carried himself with a prim and proper area, but his fine clothes, all tailor made said more about him than his physical features. The Foreign Minister was, on paper, not the most popular position in the country. But Dom Américo Silvestre had made it so. He wielded great influence over the Senhoria, who were technically in charge, and the King, meant to be a government arbitrator but more and more a ceremonial figure head.

Deputy Minister Barosa, 57, and Mr. Olivares, 24, the former a shorter but much wider man, with a balding head and a face that looked as if it had never known a smile in all its life, while the latter was a modestly handsome and shockingly young man with a short trimmed beard and long blond hair. The two took out far more than the Foreign Minister, but both also fell in step behind him. Barosa was greatly interested in resolving the concerns, while Olivares was little more than a ear piece for the Senhoria and the Crown.

“Your Royal Highness,” said Dom Américo Silvestre to Grand Duke Sakarias as he bowed politely, Deputy Minister Barosa and Mr. Olivares doing the same.

Gosataborg
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Gosataborg » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:39 pm

Grand Duke Sakarias smiled as he saw the arrival of the Dasorresans. He stepped forward, though it was just a step as he looked at the man who was the clear leader of the delegation. The Grand Duke held out a hand to shake with the Foreign Minister. The Grand Duke had been informed of the names and general positions of the men who were to meet with him. It was he had learned has he’d carefully navigated the dangerous waters of international politics. And he had thought that domestic matters of state were difficult.

“You must Foreign Minister Silvestre, it is a pleasure to meet you and your fellow delegates from Dasorres. Let me be the first to say that I wish for all the concerns raised by our shared border to be put to rest in a diplomatic and friendly manner.”

Dasorres
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Dasorres » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:05 am

Dom Américo Silvestre shook Grand Duke Sakarias’ hand with a firm grip. The Foreign Minister had been informed on the Grand Duke of Gosataborg, been informed that the monarch was at the held of a small militaristic country with a growing economy, and that he himself was equally militant man, said to stiff and formal. Dom Américo Silvestre had decided that with that in mind, then he should be strong and respectful in the face of the Grand Duke, providing a challenge without being rude, for he suspected that he would reject what might be seen as weakness or softness.

“In that we could not agree more Sir. It is in the interest of everyone present that we turn these concerns into something of the past, and with it behind us allow us the freedom to build up a more friendly and mutually beneficial relationship.”

Gosataborg
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Gosataborg » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:50 am

Grand Duke Sakarias was pleasantly surprised to find the grip of the Dasorresan foreign minister to be one that was strong and unwavering. One always could tell a lot about a man by the strength of his handshake. The Grand Duke gave the foreign monster a nod of his head as he let go of the man’s hand and took a step to the side, raising his hand towards the Valpalats Manor and its front doors and it steps.

“That is good to hear Foreign Minister, if it is to be an end of these bothersome border concerns and a partner directed towards peace and dare I even said it, friendship, then I do say that it shall be inside, away from the cold that we will be able to navigate ourself and set a course.”

The Grand Duke moved up the steps the two flanking ministers falling behind him as the Gosataborgian monarch lead the Dasorresan foreign minister up the steps of the manor and through its front doors into a warm vestibule. Here they were all greeted by attendants who offered to take their coats.

Dasorres
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Dasorres » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:27 am

All’s well that starts well, thought Dom Américo Silvestre as he followed the Grand Duke of Gosataborg inside of Valpalats Manor, Deputy Minister Barosa and Mr. Olivares following behind him. The Foreign Minister smiled at the Gosataborgian attendants as they took his and the other member of his delegation’s coats.

“Thank you,”

The Foreign Minister spoke in a stiff voice. It was expectant, but not necessarily unkind, a delicate balance that most failed at. He turned his attend away from the attendants back towards his foreign hosts.

“It is nice to escape the cold. I did not realize just how chilly and how snowy your country could be Sir.”

Gosataborg
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Gosataborg » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:47 am

“Yes,” Grand Duke Sakarias said with hearty laugh as he lead them through the long ornately decorated galleries of the Valpalats Manor, painting of the surround landscape of Laupset over the years. They ranged from summer layed woodlands to the more recent snow covered densely and tightly knit Urbanscape. “Gosataborg seats on the frigid waters of the Northern Sea, and those icy winds while they help fertilize our soil, also brings us snow. It is eve worse in the capital, in Bylina, or better yet, in the high mountains along our northern border.”

Dasorres
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Dasorres » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:32 pm

Dom Américo Silvestre smiled at the laugh from the Gosataborgian ruler, though he didn't laugh himself. Laughter can be an unpredictable social action in various settings, and when dealing with conventions, the foreign minister had come to the decision that it was best to leave it at a smile rather than risking going too far and causing offense. And so far the repore between him and the Grand Duke seemed to be one that was doing quite well, he would have to take effort to make sure that it stayed that way.

"That sounds like the opportunity for a great many winter sports, do you partake in any?"

Gosataborg
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Gosataborg » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:07 pm

Grand Duke Sakarias waved his hand in a so-so manner.

“Afraid that there isn’t much time for such recreational activities when one is so focused on the governance of a nation, an office and task that I have dedicated my life too. But it is still important to maintain one’s physical health, wouldn’t you agree? I for one prefer to do so on the slopes. Skiing is a great sport. You should try it.”

The Grand Duke lead the delegates, Gosataborgians and Dasorresans into the hall that would host the convention.

Dasorres
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Dasorres » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:38 am

“Afraid that I haven’t had the chance to go skiing, though hopefully once we are done here, I can have my Secretary arrange for a trip to your stunning Gosataborgian mountains. It sounds like it would be a magnificent family trip.”

Dom Américo Silvestre spoke as he stepped into the hall, navigating his way around the table in order to reach his seat, the rest of the diplomats of his party doing so as well.

Gosataborg
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Gosataborg » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:08 pm

The Grand Duke took a seat at the middle seat on one side of the table. Tiny versions of the Gosataborgian flags were positioned in front of the three seats of their side of the table, mirrored on the other side by miniatures of the Dasorresan flag. Minister Palme took his seat to the Grand Duke’s left while Minister Carlson took his seat to the Grand Duke’s left.

“On that sounds like a marvelous idea. Perhaps we can meet with you, take you all to the particularly good slopes. I’m sure your family is quite lovely.”

Dasorres
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Dasorres » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:45 pm

Dom Américo Silvestre smiled, putting a humble hand to his heart at Grand Duke Sakarias’ comment. The Foreign Minister came from the cadet branch of one of the noble ducal families of Dasorres, hence his honorific of Dom. He loved his family, and knew that political dynasties were a keystone of modern politics. He had also suffered tragedy in that department. His eldest daughter, Portia had died young in a car accident, and respiratory infections had killed his first and second wives, Assunção and Francesca.

“You are too kind. I do love my family. They are quite precious to me. My wife, Soraia is my love, and my daughter Mathilde is the light of my life.”

Gosataborg
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Gosataborg » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:53 am

Grand Duke Sakarias perked up a bit when he heard the Dasorresan foreign minister refer to his daughter. The Grand Duke’s wife and the foreign minister’s daughter shared the same name, a matter of chance perhaps, but the grand Duke could not help but take not of it, and in an instant an image of platonic strange affection rose in his mind in regards to the foreign minister’s daughter.

“My own wife Mathilde is my heart. It would be spitting in the face of fate, don’t you think, if we didn’t have that trip and introduce our families?”

Dasorres
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Dasorres » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:32 pm

Dom Américo Silvestre’s smile widen. On either side of him sat Deputy Minister Barosa and Mr. Olivares. The foreign minister could tell that they had started on a good foot and thought it would still be work, it would be only a bit easier to keep them going up from there.

“That sounds like a great idea Your Royal Highness. Though I am afraid, as you said, that we must get down to business first. For the greater good of both our nations.”

Gosataborg
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Gosataborg » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:37 pm

The Grand Duke nodded in agreement, though there was a small part of him that was sad that the pleasantries were over. It was quite rare that the Grand Duke had to meet a fellow politician with who he could have such an easy conversation with. The Dasorresan foreign minister was a strong and collected man, much like himself. With him at the helm of their southeastern neighbor, the Grand Duke was more and more convinced by the minute that the convention would indeed be for the betterment of their two countries.

“Yes, to these border concerns. Perhaps you would like to present what your government finds to be of such concern with the border?”

Dasorres
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Dasorres » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:32 pm

Dom Américo Silvestre put his fingers together.

“The matter of the border, at least that with Gosataborg, as is relevant here can be summed in the matter of three concerns. The first, and most pressing is that of Bronsestade, the woodlands that both Dasorres and Gosataborg lay claim to, yet it, from all our most recent surveys appears to remain completely undeveloped. This is by far the largest of the concerns, in matter of territorial size. However the next two are far more pressing.”

“Lasperen Lake sits right on the meeting point of Dasorres, Gosataborg, and Colfico and there is a complete lack of any documents regarding the division of the lake. And with our Luizaborg being the largest of the settlements in the relatively remote area around the lake, we wish to assert our claim to most, if not all of the lake and any resources that may lay under breath it.”

“Lastly there is the matter of the Leirende-Sasolba River system, with these vital navigatable rivers serving as both the border and connectors between and for our nations and, vitally for my beloved Dasorres, as our connect to the Northern Sea, and this wider access to the continental trade and the rest of the world. While territorial there is little to debate there, the matter of who controls the water is of the utmost importance to my government.”
Last edited by Dasorres on Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dasorres
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Dasorres » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:48 am

Map of Lake Lasperen

Gosataborg
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Gosataborg » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:51 pm

"Shall we start with the matter of Lake Lasperen then?" suggested Grand Duke Sakarias as the Dasorresans brought out a map of Lake Lasperen with the surrounding areas, along with roads and settlements, of those known, were marked. The Grand Duke recognized Seateston, a frontier town that sat in a sailent of the grand duchy tweezing between Dasorres and Colfico.

Dasorres
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Dasorres » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:49 am

"I do believe that that would be the aptest location to start."

Dom Américo Silvestre looked to the map of Lake Lasperen, the two nearest settlements to the lake. Deputy Minister Barosa handed the foreign minister a report on the lake at sat on the border of the countries. The Foreign Minister of Dasorres, donning a pair reading glasses began reading out information on the natural feature on the table of discussion.

"Lake Lasperen, by our natural survey reports, is a large freshwater lake, with an area of 194 square miles, and a shoreline of 55 miles in length. It is a low-lying lake, and despite its large area exists with an average depth of just nine feet. That results in approximately 48,676,000,000 cubic feet, or 364,120,000,000 gallons of water. The lake is fed by two rivers, the Conraisen, which has its origins in Colfico, but enters Dasorres before entering the lake, and the Olsoya which follows the same pattern. It is from Lake Lasperen that the Olsoya continues in Dasorres before following into Gosataborg towards the Northern Sea. At least 37 miles of the shore like belong to Dasorres and both its inlets and outlet reside on our side of the border, thus, it would be natural if the entirety of the lake reside as well in Dasorresan hands.

Gosataborg
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Gosataborg » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:46 pm

Grand Duke Sakarias looked over at the map of Lake Lasperen and its surrounding areas as he listened to the foreign minister discuss and reported the findings of the Dasorresans about the lake. It was a large but shallow lake that supplied one of Gosataborg's many vital rivers that flowed in and out of the lakelands.He could understand the merits of the foreign minister's argument, and while he could see why they may be entitled to most of the lake, surely they couldn't claim the entire body of water.

"While two-thirds of the lake may reside in what might be considered the borders of Dasorres, it can't be said that its entirety resides within your kingdom, my friend. There is an entire third that at the very least belongs to us."

Dasorres
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Dasorres » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:27 am

Dom Américo Silvestre tapped the map.

“Lake Lasperen is filled with Dasorresan water from Dasorresan rivers and flows into a Dasorresan river. If it were a person, with Dasorresan blood rather than water in its veins, and born on Dasorresan shores and with a Dasorresan child, would that person not be a citizen of my kingdom? The answer, my friend, is yes. So should the same be said of this lake.”

Gosataborg
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Gosataborg » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:44 am

"It is a good thing that we are not discussing a person then. We are discussing a lake which can be divided. It is the source of water of the Olsoya River which spends most of its time in Gosataborg, and serves as a vital source of freshwater for tens of thousands of people leaving in southern Gosataborg. Unchallenged allowance for Dasorresan dominance can not be allowed. We will recognize the majority holdings of the lake, but we propose dividing the lake via a straight line from the northern shore to the southern shore with the divisions on the shores being the markers for this line."

The Grand Duke to illustrate his point, ran a finger from one end of Lake Lasperen to the other on the map."

Gosataborg
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Gosataborg » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:44 am

Dasorres
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Dasorres » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:59 am

Dom Américo Silvestre shook his head even as he listened to the Grand Duke and watched him run a line across Lake Lasperen. Such a division of the lake was unnatural and would cause for an odd enforcement of any jurisdiction.

“Lake Lasperen is an indivisible and belongs in its entirety to one nation, Dasorres. The lake’s surface area is the internal territorial waters of Dasorres and must be respected as such.”

Gosataborg
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Gosataborg » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:14 pm

Grand Duke Sakarias frowned at the foreign minister of Dasorres, surprised and disappointed by the firm stance of his counterpart.

“That is wholly unreasonable. It is already a generous division of the lake that allows for the Dasorresans to have most of Lake Lasperen in your grasps. What if Gosataborgian fishermen who wish to go onto the water? What of those who need access to the water, the bureaucratic nightmare that would cause… it is unacceptable.”

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates