NATION

PASSWORD

What is the best system to name people?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
Teffland
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 11
Founded: Feb 19, 2021
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

What is the best system to name people?

Postby Teffland » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:37 pm

Hello.

I got an issue about good and bad names. And I asked myself: What is the best name system to name humans? Like "First Name - Surname"

At least the one in Germany has several problems:
1. Surnames get inherited through many generations. In best cases you get a profession in your mothertongue. Or a nice word like "snowman". In bad cases it is a swear word, or a word with negative associations in a language you know, or sth hard to pronounce, with spelling problems and things to mix up.
2. People assume you are a foreigner because of your surname.
3. Women change their surname after marriage, men don't. Not always. Identification problems, especially after several marriages and divorces.
4. Different degrees of rarity of surnames.
5. You are quite much bound to what you got.
6. Order of names, what is surname, what are the first names? Especially with people having several first names and surnames like e.g. "Mark Albrecht Ludwig-Schmitz."
7. Some first names can be used as surnames or the other way round (like Ludwig).
8. Married partners and mother/father/child do not necessarily share the same surname.

This is worldwide forum. How it is done in your county? Are there better alternatives?
Like e.g. in Iceland, where it is marked, whose son/daughter you are.
Last edited by Teffland on Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Random Nation 2930
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 14
Founded: May 10, 2021
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Random Nation 2930 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:41 pm

Teffland wrote:Hello.

I got an issue about good and bad names. And I asked myself: What is the best name system to name humans? Like "First Name - Surname"

At least the one in Germany has several problems:
1. Surnames get inherited through many generations. In best cases you get a profession in your mothertongue. Or a nice word like "snowman". In bad cases it is a swear word, or a word with negative associations in a language you know, or sth hard to pronounce, with spelling problems and things to mix up.
2. People assume you are a foreigner because of your surname.
3. Women change their surname after marriage, men don't. Not always. Identification problems, especially after several marriages and divorces.
4. Different degrees of rarity of surnames.
5. You are quite much bound to what you got.
6. Order of names, what is surname, what are the first names? Especially with people having several first names and surnames like e.g. "Mark Albrecht Ludwig-Schmitz."
7. Some first names can be used as surnames or the other way round (like Ludwig).
8. Married partners and mother/father/child do not necessarily share the same surname.

This is worldwide forum. How it is done in your county? Are there better alternatives?
Like e.g. in Iceland, where it is marked, whose son/daughter you are.


Give somebody a first name, a middle name, their parent’s first name, and a surname. Don’t allow people to change their surnames, and in marriages require them to merge their two names (for example, with General and Forum, General-Forum or Generum.)

Because why not?
Basically what many Americans think every terrorist organization ever is.
WIll never get factbooks, now just my new factbook dumper.
I once reached the top 180 nations by authoritarianism on my puppet Ga Mor. I'll try to reach that here.
Puppet of the Big Owl-loving one. Specifically, a puppet of The Allied Tribe/Zandilund.
NSG, F7 and II are equally bad, I just happen to post in all of them.
brettenwald don’t get back at me please

User avatar
Mercatus
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1033
Founded: Mar 27, 2019
Corporate Police State

Postby Mercatus » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:43 pm

Random Nation 2930 wrote:
Teffland wrote:Hello.

I got an issue about good and bad names. And I asked myself: What is the best name system to name humans? Like "First Name - Surname"

At least the one in Germany has several problems:
1. Surnames get inherited through many generations. In best cases you get a profession in your mothertongue. Or a nice word like "snowman". In bad cases it is a swear word, or a word with negative associations in a language you know, or sth hard to pronounce, with spelling problems and things to mix up.
2. People assume you are a foreigner because of your surname.
3. Women change their surname after marriage, men don't. Not always. Identification problems, especially after several marriages and divorces.
4. Different degrees of rarity of surnames.
5. You are quite much bound to what you got.
6. Order of names, what is surname, what are the first names? Especially with people having several first names and surnames like e.g. "Mark Albrecht Ludwig-Schmitz."
7. Some first names can be used as surnames or the other way round (like Ludwig).
8. Married partners and mother/father/child do not necessarily share the same surname.

This is worldwide forum. How it is done in your county? Are there better alternatives?
Like e.g. in Iceland, where it is marked, whose son/daughter you are.


Give somebody a first name, a middle name, their parent’s first name, and a surname. Don’t allow people to change their surnames, and in marriages require them to merge their two names (for example, with General and Forum, General-Forum or Generum.)

Because why not?


Id rather not be forced to present my name in a certain fashion. That’s just stupid.

The best system for naming people is to just give a child a damn name in whichever way the parents choose so long as it presents some level of decency.
”While I oppose most gun control proposals, there is one group of Americans I believe should be disarmed: Federal Agents.”

-Ron Paul

User avatar
Random Nation 2930
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 14
Founded: May 10, 2021
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Random Nation 2930 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:47 pm

Mercatus wrote:
Random Nation 2930 wrote:
Give somebody a first name, a middle name, their parent’s first name, and a surname. Don’t allow people to change their surnames, and in marriages require them to merge their two names (for example, with General and Forum, General-Forum or Generum.)

Because why not?


Id rather not be forced to present my name in a certain fashion. That’s just stupid.

The best system for naming people is to just give a child a damn name in whichever way the parents choose so long as it presents some level of decency.


And how would people be able to identify your family based on your name? What decent names will people choose? No, Yes, The Internet?

The best system for naming people is mine as it presents some level of decency.
Basically what many Americans think every terrorist organization ever is.
WIll never get factbooks, now just my new factbook dumper.
I once reached the top 180 nations by authoritarianism on my puppet Ga Mor. I'll try to reach that here.
Puppet of the Big Owl-loving one. Specifically, a puppet of The Allied Tribe/Zandilund.
NSG, F7 and II are equally bad, I just happen to post in all of them.
brettenwald don’t get back at me please

User avatar
South Reinkalistan
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1548
Founded: Mar 12, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby South Reinkalistan » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:53 pm

we should name everyone after various brands of instant noodle
THE PEOPLE ETERNAL
| Never-ending purges, esoteric Leninism, and a cultural revolution that never stops. |
| We stand, ever-free, in the face of the Old World. |


LAST GASP OF THE OLD WORLD JOIN THE TNPL RESIST WESTERN LIBERALISM BUY OUR GUNS
aaaa I can't stop listening ;-;
Now with chapters: (1), (2), (3)
This nation is a story. It focuses on Reinkalistan, but reaches far beyond its borders.
NS stats were summarily executed by the Ideological Office in an old basement, where nobody can hear the gunshots.

Kiu Ghesik wrote:if rein believes, then it's possible!

aaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAA

User avatar
Mercatus
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1033
Founded: Mar 27, 2019
Corporate Police State

Postby Mercatus » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:57 pm

Random Nation 2930 wrote:
Mercatus wrote:
Id rather not be forced to present my name in a certain fashion. That’s just stupid.

The best system for naming people is to just give a child a damn name in whichever way the parents choose so long as it presents some level of decency.


And how would people be able to identify your family based on your name? What decent names will people choose? No, Yes, The Internet?

The best system for naming people is mine as it presents some level of decency.


The bar for decency at least for me is basically not giving children vulgar names and the like. For instance, you shouldn’t name your kid “Name”. At least put effort into it.

On the whole marriage surname thing... just no. The state shouldn’t be in charge of anything to do with marriage, and maybe I don’t want to tack on another person’s surname to mine. Plus, it is tradition in many areas for the man’s surname to be used in marriage, and the state has no right to interfere in cultural norms.
”While I oppose most gun control proposals, there is one group of Americans I believe should be disarmed: Federal Agents.”

-Ron Paul

User avatar
Tinhampton
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9016
Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:04 pm

Random Nation 2930's first post wrote:Give somebody a first name, a middle name, their parent’s first name, and a surname. Don’t allow people to change their surnames, and in marriages require them to merge their two names (for example, with General and Forum, General-Forum or Generum.)

Because why not?

Random Nation 2930's second post wrote:...The best system for naming people is mine as it presents some level of decency.

I can't tell if your preferred naming system prioritises "yeah whatever" or presentability at this rate :P

Random Nation 2930's second post wrote:And how would people be able to identify your family based on your name? What decent names will people choose? No, Yes, The Internet?

All of those could count as "a first name, a middle name... [or] a surname" under your proposal.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 319,372): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567
Other achievements: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; -45 Darkspawn Kill Points; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; "Tinhampton? the man's literally god"
Who am I, really? 45yo Tory woman; Cambridge graduate; possibly very controversial; currently reading The Road to Somewhere by David Goodhart

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 116695
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:06 pm

I think the best way to name people is after Broadway stars. Like me, Ethel mermania
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.

http://www.salientpartners.com/epsilont ... ilizations

User avatar
Random Nation 2930
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 14
Founded: May 10, 2021
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Random Nation 2930 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:10 pm

South Reinkalistan wrote:we should name everyone after various brands of instant noodle


The only problem with this idea is what will happen once instant noodles become unpopular. What do we name them after now, S&P 500 and other large corporations?

Ethel mermania wrote:I think the best way to name people is after Broadway stars. Like me, Ethel mermania


no

no, no, no

Tinhampton wrote:
Random Nation 2930's first post wrote:Give somebody a first name, a middle name, their parent’s first name, and a surname. Don’t allow people to change their surnames, and in marriages require them to merge their two names (for example, with General and Forum, General-Forum or Generum.)

Because why not?

Random Nation 2930's second post wrote:...The best system for naming people is mine as it presents some level of decency.

I can't tell if your preferred naming system prioritises "yeah whatever" or presentability at this rate :P

Well, I guess kinda both. I am still not sure if it is actually the best system in existence, but it doesn’t seem that bad.
Random Nation 2930's second post wrote:And how would people be able to identify your family based on your name? What decent names will people choose? No, Yes, The Internet?

All of those could count as "a first name, a middle name... [or] a surname" under your proposal.


Sadly, that’s very true. How about not allowing indecent names such as No, Yes, The Internet, or Name?
Basically what many Americans think every terrorist organization ever is.
WIll never get factbooks, now just my new factbook dumper.
I once reached the top 180 nations by authoritarianism on my puppet Ga Mor. I'll try to reach that here.
Puppet of the Big Owl-loving one. Specifically, a puppet of The Allied Tribe/Zandilund.
NSG, F7 and II are equally bad, I just happen to post in all of them.
brettenwald don’t get back at me please

User avatar
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor
 
Posts: 201579
Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:13 pm

Go the Korea route. Go to a witch to get a name or buy it. :p

I don’t know, really. Asia tends to go for surname and then name, like Ikari Shinji in Japan. Ikari is the last name but goes on first. In Spain we use our first name, middle name (when applicable), father’s last name and mother’s last name.
I really don’t care.
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

User avatar
Tinhampton
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9016
Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:18 pm

Random Nation 2930 wrote:el snip

Define "decent."
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 319,372): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567
Other achievements: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; -45 Darkspawn Kill Points; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; "Tinhampton? the man's literally god"
Who am I, really? 45yo Tory woman; Cambridge graduate; possibly very controversial; currently reading The Road to Somewhere by David Goodhart

User avatar
Anabay
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 2
Founded: Aug 01, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Anabay » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:19 pm

I had a girlfriend who was named after the model daughter of Ernest Hemingway.

User avatar
Random Nation 2930
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 14
Founded: May 10, 2021
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Random Nation 2930 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:21 pm

Tinhampton wrote:
Random Nation 2930 wrote:el snip

Define "decent."


Names that are acceptable (no insults and such) in almost every culture in the world.
Basically what many Americans think every terrorist organization ever is.
WIll never get factbooks, now just my new factbook dumper.
I once reached the top 180 nations by authoritarianism on my puppet Ga Mor. I'll try to reach that here.
Puppet of the Big Owl-loving one. Specifically, a puppet of The Allied Tribe/Zandilund.
NSG, F7 and II are equally bad, I just happen to post in all of them.
brettenwald don’t get back at me please

User avatar
Bombadil
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16633
Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Bombadil » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:21 pm

Change the name of months so they all start with different letters, then if you're born in that month your name starts with the same letter as that month.

That way I don't forget birthdays all the time..

Or you could go the Internet route of naming yourself the last thing you ate and the colour of whatever you're wearing.

You may call me Tunapasta Green.
Last edited by Bombadil on Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 116695
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:25 pm

Bombadil wrote:Change the name of months so they all start with different letters, then if you're born in that month your name starts with the same letter as that month.

That way I don't forget birthdays all the time..

Or you could go the Internet route of naming yourself the last thing you ate and the colour of whatever you're wearing.

You may call me Tunapasta Green.


Club blue. I like it.
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.

http://www.salientpartners.com/epsilont ... ilizations

User avatar
John Waters
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 5
Founded: Aug 03, 2021
Father Knows Best State

Postby John Waters » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:31 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:I think the best way to name people is after Broadway stars. Like me, Ethel mermania


Radical.

User avatar
Countesia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 950
Founded: Oct 10, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Countesia » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:36 pm

We let a council of toddlers name every single newborn. Names range from "sparkle bum" to "Dave"

User avatar
Valentine Z
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10728
Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:40 pm

As Burmese, all given names for me. My name alone can't be traced back to my family members, and it was simply given on the ground of culture, tradition, and a sprinkle of superstition to make it more auspicious.

Works, I guess. My first name means resilience, but I just think I'm too stubborn.


Photography Stuff.
Flag Bracket - 1st for Mk I! 2nd for Mk II!
Issues Thread 4th in Gen Sec

The Sixty! Opinions Deposit! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures! Cat Anthem! Valentian News.
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
Q & A Here! | Heights of NS! | F7 Etiquette

Clarissa mistaken for Smurf/Avatar: 14
Valentijn Misgendered: 59
Valentijn now a She!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• As a wise man once said: 我等は砲兵 皇国の護り (We are Artillery Guardians of the Empire).
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.

User avatar
Luziyca
Post Czar
 
Posts: 36826
Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:44 pm

Name your kid whatever the hell you like and if the kid doesn't like it, they can change their name once they're old enough to do so.

I have considered changing my surname since it is not easy for others to pronounce it, but I'd probably adopt my middle name or my father's surname if I did so than keep my current surname (my mother's surname: as to why, it's complicated but TL;DR they only got married 4 years after I was born because they didn't want people to think they were marrying just for the my sake). But given my first name is basically unique, I might just go mononymous if I legally could, since I'm almost definitely the only person my age who has my first name in the province.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
[13:38] Vnik [Hardhiara] Luz is obviously the worst scout Kylaris has
IIwikiFacebookTwitterKylaris: the best region for five years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 116695
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:46 pm

John Waters wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:I think the best way to name people is after Broadway stars. Like me, Ethel mermania


Radical.

Divine, would be a devine name indeed.
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.

http://www.salientpartners.com/epsilont ... ilizations

User avatar
Resilient Acceleration
Diplomat
 
Posts: 949
Founded: Sep 23, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Resilient Acceleration » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:57 pm

Let people to name their kids, or themselves, whatever they want. We've been doing it without much problem, and technology and modern bureaucracy has pretty much taken care of identity problems.

Personally for example, it is quite popular here for parents to give a completely made up "surname" for their kids strictly for aesthetic purposes, usually based of their ship name. Without surnames, people can also invent cool nicknames to call themselves if they're too lazy to administratively change their name or just want to stand out—half of my country's presidents do that.

2033.12.21
 TLDR News | Exclusive: GLOBAL DRONE CRISIS! "Hyper-advanced" Chinese military AI design leaked online by unknown groups, Pres. Yang issues warning of "major outbreak of 3D-printed drone swarm terrorist attacks to US civilians and assets" | Secretary Pasca to expand surveillance on all financial activities through pattern recognition AI to curb the supply chain of QAnon and other domestic terror grassroots

A near-future scenario where transhumanist tech barons and their ruthless capitalism are trying to save the planet, emphasis on "try" | Resilient Accelerationism in a nutshell | OOC

User avatar
Rusozak
Senator
 
Posts: 4375
Founded: Jun 14, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Rusozak » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:03 pm

Numbers. Can't run out of them so everyone can have their own.
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

User avatar
Resilient Acceleration
Diplomat
 
Posts: 949
Founded: Sep 23, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Resilient Acceleration » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:05 pm

Rusozak wrote:Numbers. Can't run out of them so everyone can have their own.

I mean, most modern governments already do this with ID numbers and all. Ever more reason to liberate people to take control of their name.
Last edited by Resilient Acceleration on Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2033.12.21
 TLDR News | Exclusive: GLOBAL DRONE CRISIS! "Hyper-advanced" Chinese military AI design leaked online by unknown groups, Pres. Yang issues warning of "major outbreak of 3D-printed drone swarm terrorist attacks to US civilians and assets" | Secretary Pasca to expand surveillance on all financial activities through pattern recognition AI to curb the supply chain of QAnon and other domestic terror grassroots

A near-future scenario where transhumanist tech barons and their ruthless capitalism are trying to save the planet, emphasis on "try" | Resilient Accelerationism in a nutshell | OOC

User avatar
Bombadil
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16633
Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Bombadil » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:08 pm

Rusozak wrote:Numbers. Can't run out of them so everyone can have their own.


I am not a number..!
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

User avatar
Resilient Acceleration
Diplomat
 
Posts: 949
Founded: Sep 23, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Resilient Acceleration » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:10 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Rusozak wrote:Numbers. Can't run out of them so everyone can have their own.


I am not a number..!

Or are you?

(cue Vsauce music)

2033.12.21
 TLDR News | Exclusive: GLOBAL DRONE CRISIS! "Hyper-advanced" Chinese military AI design leaked online by unknown groups, Pres. Yang issues warning of "major outbreak of 3D-printed drone swarm terrorist attacks to US civilians and assets" | Secretary Pasca to expand surveillance on all financial activities through pattern recognition AI to curb the supply chain of QAnon and other domestic terror grassroots

A near-future scenario where transhumanist tech barons and their ruthless capitalism are trying to save the planet, emphasis on "try" | Resilient Accelerationism in a nutshell | OOC

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Diahon, Fartsniffage, Free China, Google [Bot], Habsburg Mexico, Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum, Ithalian Empire, Keira, Kowani, Loeje, Luminesa, Majestic-12 [Bot], Rusozak, Senkaku, The Holy Therns, Theyra, Washington Resistance Army

Advertisement

Remove ads