NATION

PASSWORD

Statistics make no sense

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Kors
Envoy

Founded: Dec 02, 2020
Ex-Nation

Statistics make no sense

Postby Kors » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:51 am

For some reason, some statistics like primitiveness (which is to show how "unscientifically advanced" you are) increases when answering issues that increase basket weaving and culture, not only if issues that decrease scientific advancement, and there are issues that decrease scientific advancement but do not decrease primitiveness. Another one is weather. It decreases when culture and scientific advancement is increased for some odd reason. Another is safety. Safety is not connected to any other stat, including death rate and crime to the extent it should be. Why is that?
Last edited by Kors on Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hello. I'm Kors. Welcome to my sig.It's a normal sig, a completely ordinary sig, an indifferent sig. You won't find anything different in this sig. MY LEADER AND MILITARY ARE IN MY OVERVIEW FACTBOOK!!!!!!!
If any post is written about you, unless it is not relating to you or of very low effort, you do NOT have the right to /stillme anybody. This is ridiculous.
news
Planned obsolescence banned in Kors : Several unknown satellites crash land into highest mountain in Iceland : Korsian welfare programs cut spending by 50% : Terrorist attacks on the Korsian governmental building result in the enaction of the emergency measures act : Carbon monoxide threat in southern Kors due to wildfires : Giant potato rolls off and chases farmer off mountain into the city, crushing and mortally injuring 3

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:32 am

I'm not 100% certain, myself, but regarding weather vs. culture, that's sort-of explained here: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=507254

I have no idea why primitiveness and scientific advancement are two separate stats, I'll be honest. You can, in fact (and I have multiple times) increase both in the same issue. *shrugs* (Also not entirely sure about scientific advancement and weather.)

Safety, on the other hand, is another story. You very much can have a crime-ridden nation that's still relatively safe, if the crimes involved don't harm anyone in any way, all while safety can be affected by a number of other conditions, such as workplace safety, low homicide rate, rigorous traffic laws and banning pointy knives. All that being said, regarding safety and death rate, I'm now genuinely curious if you can have a highly safe nation with a low lifespan. :P

Keep in mind these aren't the full story answers; editors, I imagine, would be far better equipped to give you a more detailed explanation. Still, I hope this is a sufficient quick overview of the matters. But when it comes down to it, the game's a simulation and doesn't necessarily always make total sense. :P
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Teffland
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 19, 2021
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Teffland » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:36 am

I do not understand the measurement units and why some measurements can go into negative.e.g. You cannot have less than no agriculture in real life.

The Unified Missourtama States
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Unified Missourtama States » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:42 am

Teffland wrote:I do not understand the measurement units and why some measurements can go into negative.e.g. You cannot have less than no agriculture in real life.

I think that negative rates in industries are when you have to take imports because you're so bad at producing what you need.
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
" (W. B. Yeats)

The Unified Missourtama States
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Unified Missourtama States » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:44 am

Jutsa wrote:You very much can have a crime-ridden nation that's still relatively safe, if the crimes involved don't harm anyone in any way, all while safety can be affected by a number of other conditions, such as workplace safety, low homicide rate, rigorous traffic laws and banning pointy knives. All that being said, regarding safety and death rate, I'm now genuinely curious if you can have a highly safe nation with a low lifespan. :P

Having low health could allow that, although I'm not sure of the correlation.
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
" (W. B. Yeats)

Dexterra
Minister

Founded: May 05, 2021
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dexterra » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:06 am

I totally understand where you and everybody else here are coming from on this. They say that the game is partly comedy, but I feel like that that doesn't mean it has to be unrealistic in any way because often times reality can be more comedic than anything else.

- Safety is a weird one because I have psychotic dictatorship where it has a highly funded law enforcement and defense force but it is about as safe as a bag of dirty needles. Funnily, it is also highly primitive. I think primitiveness might have a correlation with secularism too but I'm not sure.

- Negative rates in industries I think show the productivity of that industry, and if it's in the negatives, then it's a certain distance away from being able to be productive. So, for agriculture, being in the negatives means that your people are not only lacking in an agricultural sector, but a specific amount away from being able to create one. The land might be fallow or downright unsuitable for use, or they may not have the tools or funding necessary to take advantage of good soil. I hope that makes sense.

- Don't get me started on the weather-culture relationship!

I think, in general, the correlation between stats is unique to each user because no two nations in the game are ever exactly identical. Each nation starts out in its own way and then accumulates its own history of answer choices that will affect stats differently than other nations
Last edited by Dexterra on Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:39 pm

Dexterra wrote:- Safety is a weird one because I have psychotic dictatorship where it has a highly funded law enforcement and defense force but it is about as safe as a bag of dirty needles.
That's presumably because people there aren't safe from the government...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Dexterra
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dexterra » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:17 pm

Bears Armed wrote:
Dexterra wrote:- Safety is a weird one because I have psychotic dictatorship where it has a highly funded law enforcement and defense force but it is about as safe as a bag of dirty needles.
That's presumably because people there aren't safe from the government...

Right. And they aren't really safe from disasters, acts of God or each other either. In my experience, safety seems to be distantly related to almost all other stats, weird as it sounds

Kors
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Kors » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:27 pm

Jutsa wrote:I'm not 100% certain, myself, but regarding weather vs. culture, that's sort-of explained here: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=507254

I have no idea why primitiveness and scientific advancement are two separate stats, I'll be honest. You can, in fact (and I have multiple times) increase both in the same issue. *shrugs* (Also not entirely sure about scientific advancement and weather.)

Safety, on the other hand, is another story. You very much can have a crime-ridden nation that's still relatively safe, if the crimes involved don't harm anyone in any way, all while safety can be affected by a number of other conditions, such as workplace safety, low homicide rate, rigorous traffic laws and banning pointy knives. All that being said, regarding safety and death rate, I'm now genuinely curious if you can have a highly safe nation with a low lifespan. :P

Keep in mind these aren't the full story answers; editors, I imagine, would be far better equipped to give you a more detailed explanation. Still, I hope this is a sufficient quick overview of the matters. But when it comes down to it, the game's a simulation and doesn't necessarily always make total sense. :P

Thanks. I know now. It might be that primitiveness is representing society's progression and scientific advancement is representing technological advancement.
Hello. I'm Kors. Welcome to my sig.It's a normal sig, a completely ordinary sig, an indifferent sig. You won't find anything different in this sig. MY LEADER AND MILITARY ARE IN MY OVERVIEW FACTBOOK!!!!!!!
If any post is written about you, unless it is not relating to you or of very low effort, you do NOT have the right to /stillme anybody. This is ridiculous.
news
Planned obsolescence banned in Kors : Several unknown satellites crash land into highest mountain in Iceland : Korsian welfare programs cut spending by 50% : Terrorist attacks on the Korsian governmental building result in the enaction of the emergency measures act : Carbon monoxide threat in southern Kors due to wildfires : Giant potato rolls off and chases farmer off mountain into the city, crushing and mortally injuring 3

Merconitonitopia
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Merconitonitopia » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:27 am

Kors wrote:For some reason, some statistics like primitiveness (which is to show how "unscientifically advanced" you are) increases when answering issues that increase basket weaving and culture, not only if issues that decrease scientific advancement, and there are issues that decrease scientific advancement but do not decrease primitiveness.

The game never states that primitiveness is a mirror of scientific advancement. Primitiveness moreso represents the mentality and culture of the nation.
Kors wrote:Another one is weather. It decreases when culture and scientific advancement is increased for some odd reason.

Weather is an odd stat. The best explanation I've seen is that weather tends to increase from options that encourage people to go outdoors, decrease from options that encourage people staying indoors. Hence why reading Harry Potter makes the weather worse. (I heard this from Rocain Founder.) Cultured activities usually involve being indoors. Because of NS logic, the causality is reversed
I will note that it's entirely possible to have very high weather and culture simultaneously, or vice versa. The antagonism between weather and culture isn't a hard rule.
Kors wrote:Another is safety. Safety is not connected to any other stat, including death rate and crime to the extent it should be. Why is that?

I agree that safety is a wonky stat. My nation has a long life expectancy and health, no crime; yet safety is through the floor. Granted, my government is hopelessly crooked.

While we're on the topic of questioning stats, I'd like to bring up pacifism.
Case study: Deep South Borland. Ranked second for pacifism. Known for such peaceful practices as: theocracy, feudalism, capital punishment, corporal punishment, human sacrifice, and slavery.

Drew Durrnil
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Anarchy

Postby Drew Durrnil » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:52 pm

Merconitonitopia wrote:
Kors wrote:For some reason, some statistics like primitiveness (which is to show how "unscientifically advanced" you are) increases when answering issues that increase basket weaving and culture, not only if issues that decrease scientific advancement, and there are issues that decrease scientific advancement but do not decrease primitiveness.

The game never states that primitiveness is a mirror of scientific advancement. Primitiveness moreso represents the mentality and culture of the nation.
Kors wrote:Another one is weather. It decreases when culture and scientific advancement is increased for some odd reason.

Weather is an odd stat. The best explanation I've seen is that weather tends to increase from options that encourage people to go outdoors, decrease from options that encourage people staying indoors. Hence why reading Harry Potter makes the weather worse. (I heard this from Rocain Founder.) Cultured activities usually involve being indoors. Because of NS logic, the causality is reversed
I will note that it's entirely possible to have very high weather and culture simultaneously, or vice versa. The antagonism between weather and culture isn't a hard rule.
Kors wrote:Another is safety. Safety is not connected to any other stat, including death rate and crime to the extent it should be. Why is that?

I agree that safety is a wonky stat. My nation has a long life expectancy and health, no crime; yet safety is through the floor. Granted, my government is hopelessly crooked.

While we're on the topic of questioning stats, I'd like to bring up pacifism.
Case study: Deep South Borland. Ranked second for pacifism. Known for such peaceful practices as: theocracy, feudalism, capital punishment, corporal punishment, human sacrifice, and slavery.

I'm pretty sure pacifism means "war is bad" in this context.
also known as pacific shores
author of sc #434
professional slab worshipper
lieutenant of the south pacific special forces
2023 ananke award co-winner
Rosartemis wrote:DOWN WITH UEPU THOSE DAMNED RAIDERS!

Kors
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Kors » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:47 pm

Merconitonitopia wrote: My nation has a long life expectancy and health, no crime; yet safety is through the floor. Granted, my government is hopelessly crooked..

I think it's your black market and corruption carrying your dangerousness. Also sacrifice kills alot and deems your nation unsafe.
Last edited by Kors on Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
news

Neo-Western East Korea
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 15, 2021
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Neo-Western East Korea » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:49 pm

I don't know why my people have so much cancer, i've been trying to get disappearance up but it's always cancer, even though I funded public healthcare recently
What the Hell is a Myaku?:
Time system inspired by(copied from- since i'm still in the early stages) Swatch Internet Time.
1 day is 1000 Myaku, 1 Hour is 41.6 Myaku, 1 Myaku is 1.26 minutes. To get the time in Myaku, do (3600(hour) + 60 (minute) + seconds) divided by 86.4

Dabarastan
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Dabarastan » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:51 pm

Neo-Western East Korea wrote:I don't know why my people have so much cancer, i've been trying to get disappearance up but it's always cancer, even though I funded public healthcare recently

The high cancer rate is probably in part due to all of the mining in your nation. If you're not prepared to stifle your mining industry, try boosting your health in other ways. If you want your disappearance rate to go up, I'd start by keeping your civil rights low and your (secret) police well-funded.

Neo-Western East Korea
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 15, 2021
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Neo-Western East Korea » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:25 am

Ah, thank you, will get to funding the secret police
What the Hell is a Myaku?:
Time system inspired by(copied from- since i'm still in the early stages) Swatch Internet Time.
1 day is 1000 Myaku, 1 Hour is 41.6 Myaku, 1 Myaku is 1.26 minutes. To get the time in Myaku, do (3600(hour) + 60 (minute) + seconds) divided by 86.4

Merconitonitopia
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Merconitonitopia » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:00 pm

Drew Durrnil wrote:I'm pretty sure pacifism means "war is bad" in this context.

Not so.
https://www.nationstates.net/nation=mal ... ensusid=46
https://www.nationstates.net/nation=mal ... ensusid=47
This nation hasn't even had a military in years and pacifism is through the floor. Issue options that have nothing to do with foreign policy will affect pacifism.
Last edited by Merconitonitopia on Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dexterra
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dexterra » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:31 pm

Merconitonitopia wrote:
Drew Durrnil wrote:I'm pretty sure pacifism means "war is bad" in this context.

Not so.
https://www.nationstates.net/nation=mal ... ensusid=46
https://www.nationstates.net/nation=mal ... ensusid=47
This nation hasn't even had a military in years and pacifism is through the floor. Issue options that have nothing to do with foreign policy will affect pacifism.

I've found pacifism to be highly correlated with education, average income(s), niceness, compassion and cheerfulness. There's definitely a lot more that goes into pacifism than foreign policy, the military and especially law enforcement

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?