NATION

PASSWORD

[Missed Quorum] Repeal: Declaration on Hippopotamuses

A chamber dedicated to the dissemination of inter-regional peace and goodwill, via force if necessary.
User avatar
Tsaivao
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 496
Founded: Apr 07, 2020
Anarchy

[Missed Quorum] Repeal: Declaration on Hippopotamuses

Postby Tsaivao » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:57 pm

Delegate Manhu Sentai Laogai hands over a shriveled piece of toilet paper with (perhaps literal) chicken scratch written all over it. He proudly wipes his wings as his assistant gives him a dismayed look. Pensively, the assistant slowly reads aloud Delegate Manhu's work, eyeing the rest of the assembly as his face went red from embarrassment as he himself was barely literate to normal text, let alone Manhu's awful handwriting.

The World Assembly,

Applauding the gall and reckless abandon of the intentions behind the target resolution,

Noting however that a qualitative judgement on size cannot be established without a proper reference frame,

Elaborating that many things can be classified as "very large" when compared to other smaller things. Planets, stars, moons, galaxies, nebulous hydrogen clouds, and black holes can all be adequately measured in volume, length, and/or mass to be larger than a hippopotamus,

Further Elaborating that even in the realm of animals, many creatures across the multiverse in various time periods similarly dwarf hippopotamuses. Examples include blue whales, who can grow on average to twenty-five meters in length with a mass of one-hundred ten metric tons, and giraffes, who can grow to be three times as tall as the hippopotamus.

Philosophizing that due to the lack of a categorical imperative, it is impossible to verify if mass, length, width, or depth are even qualitative values that exist outside of a phenomenal understanding of the universe, or even if it makes sense to measure such values in the first place,

Further noting that knowing the terminology of an animal or how dangerous it is are not necessary for the broader understanding of the concept of size,

Disapproving of clause 2 making an unusual and unnecessary discrimination towards Pygmy Hippopotamuses, going beyond notion of size and derogatorily stating they are "no 'true' Hippo,"

Confused as many nations across the multiverse have zero idea what a hippopotamus even is,

Acknowledging that the word hippopottamus is truly difficult for many to spell, and advises the World Assembly to consider avoiding future references to hipoptmuses and hippopoopotomus-related legislature,

This resolution hereby repeals SC Resolution #361: Declaration on Hippopotamuses.


The World Assembly,

Applauding the gall and reckless abandon of the intentions behind the target resolution,

Noting however that a qualitative judgement on size cannot be established without a proper reference frame,

Elaborating that many things can be classified as "very large" within the scope of the universe when compared to other smaller things, as planets, stars, moons, galaxies, nebulous hydrogen clouds, and black holes can all be adequately measured in volume, length, and/or mass to be larger than a hippopotamus,

Further Elaborating that even in the realm of animals, many creatures across the multiverse in various time periods similarly dwarf hippopotamuses even within the universe hippopotamuses typically occupy. Examples include blue whales, who can grow on average to twenty-five meters in length with a mass of one-hundred ten metric tons, and giraffes, who can grow to be three times as tall as the hippopotamus.

Philosophizing that due to the lack of a categorical imperative, it is impossible to verify if mass, length, width, or depth are even qualitative values that exist outside of a phenomenal understanding of the universe, or even if it makes sense to measure such values in the first place,

Further noting that knowing the terminology of an animal or how dangerous it is are not necessary for the broader understanding of the concept of size,

Disapproving of clause 2 making an unusual and unnecessary discrimination towards Pygmy Hippopotamuses, going beyond notion of size and derogatorily stating they are "no 'true' Hippo,"

Confused as many nations across the multiverse have zero idea what a hippopotamus even is,

Acknowledging that the word hippopottamus is truly difficult for many to spell, and advises the World Assembly to consider avoiding future references to hipoptmuses and hippopoopotomus-related legislature,

This resolution hereby repeals SC Resolution #361: Declaration on Hippopotamuses.


The World Assembly,

Applauding the gall and reckless abandon of the intentions behind the target resolution,

Noting however that a qualitative judgement on size cannot be established without a proper reference frame,

Elaborating that many things can be classified as "very large" within the scope of the universe when compared to other smaller things, as planets, stars, moons, galaxies, nebulous hydrogen clouds, and black holes can all be adequately measured in volume, length, and/or mass to be larger than a hippopotamus,

Further Elaborating that even in the realm of animals, many creatures across the multiverse in various time periods similarly dwarf hippopotamuses, including but not limited to: whales, elephants, giraffes, and megalodons. This means that the hippopotamus is, at best, average in size and mass.

Philosophizing that due to the lack of a categorical imperative, it is impossible to verify if mass, length, width, or depth are even qualitative values that exist outside of a phenomenal understanding of the universe, or even if it makes sense to measure such values in the first place,

Further noting that knowing the terminology of an animal or how dangerous it is are not necessary for the broader understanding of the concept of size,

Disapproving of clause 2 making an unusual and unnecessary discrimination towards Pygmy Hippopotamuses, going beyond notion of size and derogatorily stating they are "no 'true' Hippo,"

Confused as many nations across the multiverse have zero idea what a hippopotamus even is,

This resolution hereby repeals SC Resolution [number]: Declaration on Hippopotamuses.


The World Assembly,

Applauding the gall and reckless abandon of the intentions behind the target resolution,

Noting however that a qualitative judgement on size cannot be established without a proper reference frame,

Elaborating that many things can be classified as "very large" within the scope of the universe when compared to other smaller things, as planets, stars, moons, galaxies, nebulous hydrogen clouds, and black holes can all be adequately measured in volume, length, and/or mass to be larger than a hippopotamus

Philosophizing that due to the lack of a categorical imperative, it is impossible to verify if mass, length, width, or depth are even qualitative values that exist outside of a phenomenal understanding of the universe, or even if it makes sense to measure such values in the first place,

Further noting that knowing the terminology of an animal or how dangerous it is are not necessary for the broader understanding of the concept of size,

Confused as many nations across the multiverse have zero idea what a hippopotamus even is,

This resolution hereby repeals SC Resolution [number]: Declaration on Hippopotamuses.


OOC: In case it isn't clear, I'm hyperbolizing my nation's disgust for DoH and I applaud Bears Armed for making me have a good laugh, but I do still think this is at least a decent repeal in the light-hearted spirit of the target.
Last edited by Tsaivao on Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:15 am, edited 16 times in total.
~::~ May the five winds guide us to glory ~::~
OPERATION TEN-GO: Tsaivao Authority confirms wormhole drives based on alien designs are functional | Gen. Tsaosin: "Operational integrity is the key to our success against the xenic threat. In a week, we will have already infiltrated into their world." | All leaders of Tsaivao send personal farewells to Ten-Go special forces unit Tsaikantan-8
Nation doesn't reflect my personal beliefs, NS stats aren't really worried about except for Nudity because "haha funny"
The symbol on my flag is supposed to be a typhoon
Pro: LGBT, BLM, Democracy, Democratic Socialism, Rationalism
Neutral: Gun Rights, Abortion, Centrism
Anti: Trumpism, Radicalization, Fundamentalism, Fascism

User avatar
The Hazar Amisnery
Envoy
 
Posts: 266
Founded: Oct 26, 2020
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Hazar Amisnery » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:07 pm

1. You cant repeal something that hasn't even passed yet

2. The declaration says that hippopotamus's are very large which anyone could visualise and the other measurements are supporting this idea. The author was referencing just hippos, not black holes or hydrogen clouds.
WA Delegate of The European Commowealth of Nations
ɐılɐɹʇsn∀
My lieblingsfach is multimedia
My geburtstag is November
I'm currently in my 7th lockdown

User avatar
Bhang Bhang Duc
Minister
 
Posts: 3085
Founded: Dec 17, 2003
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bhang Bhang Duc » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:08 pm

How can you write this? My Ambassador squashed you with a wormhole and a hippo to refute your argument.

The Hazar Amisnery wrote:1. You cant repeal something that hasn't even passed yet

2. The declaration says that hippopotamus's are very large which anyone could visualise and the other measurements are supporting this idea. The author was referencing just hippos, not black holes or hydrogen clouds.

OOC: Yes, but they can draft a repeal in case it passes. As for the rest of your argument it appears you could do with a sense of humour transplant.
Last edited by Bhang Bhang Duc on Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Former Delegate and Guardian of The West Pacific. TWP's Former Minister for World Assembly Affairs

The West Pacific's Official Welshman, Astronomer and Old Fart

Pierconium wrote:I see Funk as an opportunistic manipulator that utilises the means available to him to reach his goals. In other words, a nation after my own heart.

RiderSyl wrote:If an enchantress made it so one raid could bring about world peace, Unibot would ask raiders to just sign a petition instead.

User avatar
Tsaivao
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 496
Founded: Apr 07, 2020
Anarchy

Postby Tsaivao » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:14 pm

The Hazar Amisnery wrote:1. You cant repeal something that hasn't even passed yet

2. The declaration says that hippopotamus's are very large which anyone could visualise and the other measurements are supporting this idea. The author was referencing just hippos, not black holes or hydrogen clouds.

1. Actually you can, it's common practice to prepare a repeal draft for legislation that hasn't passed yet, just look at all of the (poor-quality) repeal attempts for some more recent GA resolutions like Ban on Conversion Therapy

2. My point is that the target resolution does not give us a frame of reference for which to compare, thus it is unspecified. A hippopotamus is very small when compared to those other things, thereby making the resolution inaccurate

Bhang Bhang Duc wrote:How can you write this? My Ambassador squashed you with a wormhole and a hippo to refute your argument.


Thank you for your counterargument, you make some very strong points! However, I must unfortunately use my "no u" defense.
Last edited by Tsaivao on Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~::~ May the five winds guide us to glory ~::~
OPERATION TEN-GO: Tsaivao Authority confirms wormhole drives based on alien designs are functional | Gen. Tsaosin: "Operational integrity is the key to our success against the xenic threat. In a week, we will have already infiltrated into their world." | All leaders of Tsaivao send personal farewells to Ten-Go special forces unit Tsaikantan-8
Nation doesn't reflect my personal beliefs, NS stats aren't really worried about except for Nudity because "haha funny"
The symbol on my flag is supposed to be a typhoon
Pro: LGBT, BLM, Democracy, Democratic Socialism, Rationalism
Neutral: Gun Rights, Abortion, Centrism
Anti: Trumpism, Radicalization, Fundamentalism, Fascism

User avatar
Outer Sparta
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12542
Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Outer Sparta » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:57 pm

Why don't you make a declaration on rhinos as a replacement?
social democracy, environmental protection, universal healthcare, free college, social equality, LGBT, pro-choice,
GOP, corporate socialism, Trump, neoconservatism, white supremacy, extreme political views, corruption

User avatar
Kurogasa
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 60
Founded: Oct 15, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kurogasa » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:05 pm

Outer Sparta wrote:Why don't you make a declaration on rhinos as a replacement?


on elephants, you see...they are way larger than hippos.

User avatar
Imperial Rifta
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1135
Founded: Sep 15, 2020
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Imperial Rifta » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:10 pm

Kurogasa wrote:
Outer Sparta wrote:Why don't you make a declaration on rhinos as a replacement?


on elephants, you see...they are way larger than hippos.

Why not blue whales?
Low quality posts from 2020-2021

My life

NEWS The nation of Arjut becomes a new ally of Imperial Rifta. The Riftan Government announces that there are plans to build a joint-operated trading city in Riftan territory between the two nations. | Sports: Bailball season begins. After an intense match in King’s Watch, the Paynesville team defeats the Cloud City Avians by one score.

User avatar
Tsaivao
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 496
Founded: Apr 07, 2020
Anarchy

Postby Tsaivao » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:27 pm

Outer Sparta wrote:Why don't you make a declaration on rhinos as a replacement?

Kurogasa wrote:on elephants, you see...they are way larger than hippos.

Imperial Rifta wrote:Why not blue whales?


Delegate Manhu straightens up, looking the other delegates rather uncomfortably in the eyes, as strange music emanated through the debate chamber. "Yes, I indeed could make a replacement for any of these others, but what would be the point? Compared to the vastness of spacetime, our understanding of the tiny bubble that we inhabit within our little circles, wouldn't the vastness of infinity always seem so... so much bigger? Who can truly be considered large, when we are all but specks in a microscopic chasm of infinity? Can anything be considered big after all? Does the universe even really care how long a rhino is, or how massive a whale is, or how large a star is?"

Manhu took a breath, "The truth is that we are all just small, but... there is a catch. Size does not have any bearing on infinity; any number divided by infinity is practically zero, but this means that small is not anything either! Furthermore, in the breadth of the universe, all your biggest problems and worries, all your deepest anxieties and worries about the state of the world and our existence in this life is just as small. And we should take comfort in that, because then we can all be very, very large."

Manhu let the chamber sit on that before saying with finality, "And as always... thanks for watching."

OOC: Might do replacement, idk, depends how I feel on it later
~::~ May the five winds guide us to glory ~::~
OPERATION TEN-GO: Tsaivao Authority confirms wormhole drives based on alien designs are functional | Gen. Tsaosin: "Operational integrity is the key to our success against the xenic threat. In a week, we will have already infiltrated into their world." | All leaders of Tsaivao send personal farewells to Ten-Go special forces unit Tsaikantan-8
Nation doesn't reflect my personal beliefs, NS stats aren't really worried about except for Nudity because "haha funny"
The symbol on my flag is supposed to be a typhoon
Pro: LGBT, BLM, Democracy, Democratic Socialism, Rationalism
Neutral: Gun Rights, Abortion, Centrism
Anti: Trumpism, Radicalization, Fundamentalism, Fascism

User avatar
Bears Armed Mission
Diplomat
 
Posts: 851
Founded: Jul 26, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed Mission » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:35 am

Tsaivao wrote:2. My point is that the target resolution does not give us a frame of reference for which to compare, thus it is unspecified. A hippopotamus is very small when compared to those other things, thereby making the resolution inaccurate

"The declaration's preamble explains that the context is the typical sizes of different kinds of animals; That should provide a reasonable frame of reference for most governments, especially in conjunction with the actual measurements cited in the final clause."

Outer Sparta wrote:Why don't you make a declaration on rhinos as a replacement?

Kurogasa wrote:on elephants, you see...they are way larger than hippos.

Imperial Rifta wrote:Why not blue whales?


"Nothing in our proposed Declaration would block the introduction of new legislation on such topics, so its repeal would not be a prerequisite for those."

Urratharra BlueForest,
Voice for Security Council matters,
Bears Armed Mission at the W.A. .
This is the WA Mission of Bears Armed, but is technically defined as a separate nation in its own right for all legal purposes. Population = sixty-four seventy-two staff, plus some dependents.

GA Resolution Author

Ardchoille says: “Bears can be depended on for decent arguments even when there aren't any”.

User avatar
Outer Sparta
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12542
Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Outer Sparta » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:38 am

Tsaivao wrote:
Outer Sparta wrote:Why don't you make a declaration on rhinos as a replacement?

Kurogasa wrote:on elephants, you see...they are way larger than hippos.

Imperial Rifta wrote:Why not blue whales?


Delegate Manhu straightens up, looking the other delegates rather uncomfortably in the eyes, as strange music emanated through the debate chamber. "Yes, I indeed could make a replacement for any of these others, but what would be the point? Compared to the vastness of spacetime, our understanding of the tiny bubble that we inhabit within our little circles, wouldn't the vastness of infinity always seem so... so much bigger? Who can truly be considered large, when we are all but specks in a microscopic chasm of infinity? Can anything be considered big after all? Does the universe even really care how long a rhino is, or how massive a whale is, or how large a star is?"

Manhu took a breath, "The truth is that we are all just small, but... there is a catch. Size does not have any bearing on infinity; any number divided by infinity is practically zero, but this means that small is not anything either! Furthermore, in the breadth of the universe, all your biggest problems and worries, all your deepest anxieties and worries about the state of the world and our existence in this life is just as small. And we should take comfort in that, because then we can all be very, very large."

Manhu let the chamber sit on that before saying with finality, "And as always... thanks for watching."

OOC: Might do replacement, idk, depends how I feel on it later

If we really want to go big, why not the Hercules–Corona Borealis Great Wall (or in general, a galaxy supercluster)? It spans ten billion light years in length and is the largest ever object discovered in the universe!
social democracy, environmental protection, universal healthcare, free college, social equality, LGBT, pro-choice,
GOP, corporate socialism, Trump, neoconservatism, white supremacy, extreme political views, corruption

User avatar
Tsaivao
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 496
Founded: Apr 07, 2020
Anarchy

Postby Tsaivao » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:58 am

"It seems that this terrible, unlawful, despicable, good-smelling proposal is going to pass at the projected rate. I will have to double down to prevent such a declaration from surviving," Manhu mused, stroking his beak.

"But what if... I add the point about excluding pygmy hippos as part of the repeal? Hoho, delightfully devilish, Manhu!"

Bears Armed Mission wrote:
Tsaivao wrote:2. My point is that the target resolution does not give us a frame of reference for which to compare, thus it is unspecified. A hippopotamus is very small when compared to those other things, thereby making the resolution inaccurate

"The declaration's preamble explains that the context is the typical sizes of different kinds of animals; That should provide a reasonable frame of reference for most governments, especially in conjunction with the actual measurements cited in the final clause."

Outer Sparta wrote:Why don't you make a declaration on rhinos as a replacement?

Kurogasa wrote:on elephants, you see...they are way larger than hippos.

Imperial Rifta wrote:Why not blue whales?


"Nothing in our proposed Declaration would block the introduction of new legislation on such topics, so its repeal would not be a prerequisite for those."

Urratharra BlueForest,
Voice for Security Council matters,
Bears Armed Mission at the W.A. .


"Even in.the context of other animals, could one say hippos are very large? Blue whales, orcas, elephants, giraffes, rhinos, and other such creatures can match or dwarf a hippo. What reason would a nation of whales have to believe that hippos are large? It enforces a very narrow perspective, which is why I will not stand for it! I will not!"

Manhu's aides collectively sighed. One of them excused himself and went into the hallway to drink.

Manhu turned to the remaining aide. "Start on the next draft, we will have it done by today."
~::~ May the five winds guide us to glory ~::~
OPERATION TEN-GO: Tsaivao Authority confirms wormhole drives based on alien designs are functional | Gen. Tsaosin: "Operational integrity is the key to our success against the xenic threat. In a week, we will have already infiltrated into their world." | All leaders of Tsaivao send personal farewells to Ten-Go special forces unit Tsaikantan-8
Nation doesn't reflect my personal beliefs, NS stats aren't really worried about except for Nudity because "haha funny"
The symbol on my flag is supposed to be a typhoon
Pro: LGBT, BLM, Democracy, Democratic Socialism, Rationalism
Neutral: Gun Rights, Abortion, Centrism
Anti: Trumpism, Radicalization, Fundamentalism, Fascism

User avatar
Honeydewistania
Minister
 
Posts: 2946
Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Honeydewistania » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:38 pm

If it came to it, I will fully support this repeal over any others. Repeals in the spirit of a joke resolution are infinitely better than party poopers.
she/her

Radiohead wrote:No [x42]

User avatar
Sylh Alanor
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 171
Founded: May 10, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sylh Alanor » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:06 am

Full support, Delegate.
Artemis Mahariel, Speaker for the Alanori.
Delegate and Councillor of World Assembly Affairs,
Refugia

she/her

User avatar
Wayneactia
Minister
 
Posts: 2156
Founded: Aug 01, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Wayneactia » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:23 am

Tsaivao wrote:2. My point is that the target resolution does not give us a frame of reference for which to compare, thus it is unspecified. A hippopotamus is very small when compared to those other things, thereby making the resolution inaccurate

So? Pass another declaration that gives us a frame a reference to compare to, building upon this one. There is no house of cards rule in the Security Council. This way, everyone wins.

User avatar
Tsaivao
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 496
Founded: Apr 07, 2020
Anarchy

Postby Tsaivao » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:05 am

Second draft is up, I've added points regarding the unnecessary and biased treatment of Pygmy Hippos as well as noting that many other animals can be sufficiently larger than hippos.

Wayneactia wrote:
Tsaivao wrote:2. My point is that the target resolution does not give us a frame of reference for which to compare, thus it is unspecified. A hippopotamus is very small when compared to those other things, thereby making the resolution inaccurate

So? Pass another declaration that gives us a frame a reference to compare to, building upon this one. There is no house of cards rule in the Security Council. This way, everyone wins.

Promoting bad practice just because there's not a rule on it is probably a bad idea...
~::~ May the five winds guide us to glory ~::~
OPERATION TEN-GO: Tsaivao Authority confirms wormhole drives based on alien designs are functional | Gen. Tsaosin: "Operational integrity is the key to our success against the xenic threat. In a week, we will have already infiltrated into their world." | All leaders of Tsaivao send personal farewells to Ten-Go special forces unit Tsaikantan-8
Nation doesn't reflect my personal beliefs, NS stats aren't really worried about except for Nudity because "haha funny"
The symbol on my flag is supposed to be a typhoon
Pro: LGBT, BLM, Democracy, Democratic Socialism, Rationalism
Neutral: Gun Rights, Abortion, Centrism
Anti: Trumpism, Radicalization, Fundamentalism, Fascism

User avatar
Bodobol
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6946
Founded: Jan 12, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bodobol » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:57 pm

Further Elaborating that even in the realm of animals, many creatures across the multiverse in various time periods similarly dwarf hippopotamuses, including but not limited to: whales, elephants, giraffes, and megalodons. This means that the hippopotamus is, at best, average in size and mass.


"This could use some refinement. Just as many nations across the multiverse have no idea what a hippopotamus is, many don't understand the concept of whales, giraffes, etc. It's useful to have these comparisons, but we need to introduce the delegates to the concepts of these animals. It's also a bit disingenuous to say that hippos are average in size and mass, when they are typically classified as megafauna and do dwarf the vast majority of species on their native planet. How about something along the following lines for this clause?"

Further Elaborating that even in the realm of animals, many creatures across the multiverse in various time periods similarly dwarf hippopotamuses. Examples include the blue whale, which can grow to a length of 33 meters and a weight of 130 tonnes, and giraffes, whose typical height of five-to-six meters is three times that of the lowly hippopotamus, and therefore the hippopotamus's size alone does not merit a Declaration,


"Additionally, we would suggest the addition of the following clause:"

Acknowledging that hippotomous is generally regarded as a difficult word to spell, and believing that the World Assembly would benefit from a future absence of all hippopopos and hipotonous-related discussion,


-Harg Gifodobol
Bodoboli Ambassador to the Security Council

User avatar
Wayneactia
Minister
 
Posts: 2156
Founded: Aug 01, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Wayneactia » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:06 pm

Tsaivao wrote:Second draft is up, I've added points regarding the unnecessary and biased treatment of Pygmy Hippos as well as noting that many other animals can be sufficiently larger than hippos.

Wayneactia wrote:So? Pass another declaration that gives us a frame a reference to compare to, building upon this one. There is no house of cards rule in the Security Council. This way, everyone wins.

Promoting bad practice just because there's not a rule on it is probably a bad idea...

How is it a bad practice? We have had condemnations built upon the backs of liberations.

User avatar
Thessalunya
Civil Servant
 
Posts: 10
Founded: Jul 27, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Thessalunya » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:16 pm

Bhang Bhang Duc wrote:OOC: Yes, but they can draft a repeal in case it passes. As for the rest of your argument it appears you could do with a sense of humour transplant.

You forget what the target audience for this game is.
A world heavily influenced by the culture of the 1930's and 1970's, loosely based off the Spanish Civil War.

User avatar
Tsaivao
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 496
Founded: Apr 07, 2020
Anarchy

Postby Tsaivao » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:52 am

Bodobol wrote:
Further Elaborating that even in the realm of animals, many creatures across the multiverse in various time periods similarly dwarf hippopotamuses, including but not limited to: whales, elephants, giraffes, and megalodons. This means that the hippopotamus is, at best, average in size and mass.


"This could use some refinement. Just as many nations across the multiverse have no idea what a hippopotamus is, many don't understand the concept of whales, giraffes, etc. It's useful to have these comparisons, but we need to introduce the delegates to the concepts of these animals. It's also a bit disingenuous to say that hippos are average in size and mass, when they are typically classified as megafauna and do dwarf the vast majority of species on their native planet. How about something along the following lines for this clause?"

Further Elaborating that even in the realm of animals, many creatures across the multiverse in various time periods similarly dwarf hippopotamuses. Examples include the blue whale, which can grow to a length of 33 meters and a weight of 130 tonnes, and giraffes, whose typical height of five-to-six meters is three times that of the lowly hippopotamus, and therefore the hippopotamus's size alone does not merit a Declaration,


"You have a good eye, ambassador," Manhu conceded, reading over his notes and feeling a bit more sunken after reading the blitheringly obvious contradiction. "I uh... meant to put that there, yes!" In his mind, he started to experience some slight panic. "I-In fact we will... make the appropriate adjustments for you, just to prove how intentional that was!"

His aide looked at him sideways. Was he high off swamper drugs today?

"Additionally, we would suggest the addition of the following clause:"

Acknowledging that hippotomous is generally regarded as a difficult word to spell, and believing that the World Assembly would benefit from a future absence of all hippopopos and hipotonous-related discussion,


OOC: Okay that made me laugh, I'm definitely willing to put that in lmao. If you want a co-author for that beautiful line let me know.

Wayneactia wrote:
Tsaivao wrote:Second draft is up, I've added points regarding the unnecessary and biased treatment of Pygmy Hippos as well as noting that many other animals can be sufficiently larger than hippos.


Promoting bad practice just because there's not a rule on it is probably a bad idea...

How is it a bad practice? We have had condemnations built upon the backs of liberations.


OOC: Well, for one, my goal isn't to add on to the previous legislature but to repeal it entirely (and do so in a way that tries to maintain some aspect of the humor rather than flatly denying it). To my understanding these declarations are kind of like GA resolutions, and I'm not used to there not being a rule against house of cards. I think this would make a good discussion thread elsewhere though because I'm curious if such a rule needs to be made or not.

In any case, next draft coming frighteningly fast.

EDIT: DRAFT 3 IS HEEEEERE, DRAFT 3 IS HEEEEEEEEERE!! PROMISES MADE, PROMISES DELIVEEEEEEEERED!!! DRAAAAAAAAAAAAAFT THREEEEE IS HEEEEEEEEEEEEERE

Ahem... I will wait a few more days for further feedback before submitting
Last edited by Tsaivao on Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
~::~ May the five winds guide us to glory ~::~
OPERATION TEN-GO: Tsaivao Authority confirms wormhole drives based on alien designs are functional | Gen. Tsaosin: "Operational integrity is the key to our success against the xenic threat. In a week, we will have already infiltrated into their world." | All leaders of Tsaivao send personal farewells to Ten-Go special forces unit Tsaikantan-8
Nation doesn't reflect my personal beliefs, NS stats aren't really worried about except for Nudity because "haha funny"
The symbol on my flag is supposed to be a typhoon
Pro: LGBT, BLM, Democracy, Democratic Socialism, Rationalism
Neutral: Gun Rights, Abortion, Centrism
Anti: Trumpism, Radicalization, Fundamentalism, Fascism

User avatar
The Python
Diplomat
 
Posts: 902
Founded: Jul 24, 2020
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby The Python » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:24 pm

Against... hippos are too large an issue to be repealed from the SC!
Card farmer, WA fenda and filthy cosmo. Opinions DONT necessarily represent any region. Pronouns are he/they. AKA PythonSaurus
For: Universal healthcare,Socialism,Human/animal rights,Direct Democracy
Against: Authoritarianism,Racism,War,Nationalism,Factory farming
Political compass 9Axes 8Values
fenda nations always deserve banjection - Evil Cub
I wish i could be quoted in a forum sig v_v - Alfonzo
anyone more than double python's age is old - Altmoras
The difference between an invader and an imperialist is that...the imperialist will write several paragraphs about how the region's poll officer's cousin's friend's soccer coach once arranged his fridge magnets to spell out FRA and this is therefore a great leap forward in their war effort. - Altmoras
What they say about me
SEASON T*REE!

User avatar
Tsaivao
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 496
Founded: Apr 07, 2020
Anarchy

Postby Tsaivao » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:57 pm

I'm gonna need some endorsements evidently
Last edited by Tsaivao on Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~::~ May the five winds guide us to glory ~::~
OPERATION TEN-GO: Tsaivao Authority confirms wormhole drives based on alien designs are functional | Gen. Tsaosin: "Operational integrity is the key to our success against the xenic threat. In a week, we will have already infiltrated into their world." | All leaders of Tsaivao send personal farewells to Ten-Go special forces unit Tsaikantan-8
Nation doesn't reflect my personal beliefs, NS stats aren't really worried about except for Nudity because "haha funny"
The symbol on my flag is supposed to be a typhoon
Pro: LGBT, BLM, Democracy, Democratic Socialism, Rationalism
Neutral: Gun Rights, Abortion, Centrism
Anti: Trumpism, Radicalization, Fundamentalism, Fascism

User avatar
Minskiev
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1691
Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minskiev » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:58 pm

Love that this is a thing.
2x Officer of the Rejected Realms
Former Speaker of the Rejected Realms
Deputy Editor-in-Chief of the Rejected Times
Author of GA#565 and SC#362


WA Ambassador: Wallace Russell
My views DO represent my regions in ALL capacities!

User avatar
Great Algerstonia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1578
Founded: Mar 21, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby Great Algerstonia » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:01 pm

Wasn't able to give feedback from this because a hippopotamus crushed all of my devices by stepping on them, writing on a smart fridge screen rn. Anyways, opposed
Ultranationalist State governed by megacorporations and the military, who are also locked in a consistent power struggle with each other that neither side actually wants to end because the death of one means the death of the other. Flag is the same as the OTL black-yellow-white Tzarist tricolor, no political links between my flag and the Tzarist flag
Pro: Consistent Life Ethic, Conservatism, Nationalism, Unrestricted Gun Ownership, Distributism, Required Voter ID, States Rights
Anti: Illegal Immigration, Government Overspending, US Democratic Party, Current US Foreign Conflicts, Socialism, Woke, China, Violent Protest, Breaking the Law
North Washington Republic wrote:I think Minnesota may be the next Florida in about two weeks.

User avatar
Tsaivao
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 496
Founded: Apr 07, 2020
Anarchy

Postby Tsaivao » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:48 pm

Delegate Manhu flourishes his wings and bows. "Our noble legislature has been put onto display to garner support from delegates like you. Please consider giving this the support necessary to succeed, and to prevent the narrow-minded singular perspective that is the target resolutions. For, you see, even the hippopotamus can be small, if it so chooses to..."

Manhu's aide rolled his eyes as the former went off on another philosophical tirade.

Great Algerstonia wrote:Wasn't able to give feedback from this because a hippopotamus crushed all of my devices by stepping on them, writing on a smart fridge screen rn. Anyways, opposed


Manhu shuddered. "Smart fridge?? What are you, making an artificial intelligence for an ice box?! You mammals are so strange..."
~::~ May the five winds guide us to glory ~::~
OPERATION TEN-GO: Tsaivao Authority confirms wormhole drives based on alien designs are functional | Gen. Tsaosin: "Operational integrity is the key to our success against the xenic threat. In a week, we will have already infiltrated into their world." | All leaders of Tsaivao send personal farewells to Ten-Go special forces unit Tsaikantan-8
Nation doesn't reflect my personal beliefs, NS stats aren't really worried about except for Nudity because "haha funny"
The symbol on my flag is supposed to be a typhoon
Pro: LGBT, BLM, Democracy, Democratic Socialism, Rationalism
Neutral: Gun Rights, Abortion, Centrism
Anti: Trumpism, Radicalization, Fundamentalism, Fascism

User avatar
Vikanias
Diplomat
 
Posts: 645
Founded: May 01, 2020
New York Times Democracy

Postby Vikanias » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:59 pm

Fully opposed, A Hippo is holding me at gun point to oppose please send HELP
AAAAA IM ON FIRE!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING THERE READING THIS SIG COME HELP ME FOR GODS SAKE AAAAAAA!!!!!!

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Security Council

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Fallenblood, GoodKingWenceslas, Mavenu

Advertisement

Remove ads