NATION

PASSWORD

Blue Origin - would you go?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Would you go on a rocket for a sub-oribtal flight?

Yes - I was born ready!
40%
Maybe - I feel like I would need some testing/training to see if my body can cope with the G forces...
32%
No - Bad enough fear of flying as it is...
27%

Total votes : 62

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:29 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Fair enough. But it's funny how most billionaires recieve harsh criticism for being too rich, yet when the world's least charitable billionaire, Jeff Bezos, does something like this, which is impossible for non-billionaires, many of the billionaire haters aren't batting an eye about it. Whatever your opinion of billionaires is, you have to acknowledge that endeavours as running a space program, running a rail company, starting an airline, or building infrastructure are only achievable by governments or billionaires. Also, it's funny how many environmentalists are willing to sign up for such endeavours, even though space travel is one of the worst things imaginable as far as the environment is concerned. And burning so much fuel for 10 minutes in space is just a waste of fuel i say that as one of one of the least environmentalist members of this community.

SpaceX has a lot more investors than just Musk, he is just the lead. I dont think they are public yet. Google i know had a piece of them. Same for the others.

Edison for electricity, Ford for automobiles, it the way its always worked. Air travel for plebians wasn't a thing till the late 1960's. It use to be extremely expensive now its 150 bucks to get on an airplane and go 1,000 miles.

Aside from from the fact that these billionaires are paying thousands of people serious money to advance the technology and speed up the pace of innovation, aeronautic engineers ain't cheap,, and because its capitalism drive down the cost. Its because of Musk et. al. that space will be affordable to the masses not because of anything NASA or the ESA are doing.

I'm very pro-capitalism, but I know that many people on NationStates aren't, and yet they support this. I like pointing out irony. Same applies to my post about environmentalism. Pointing out irony
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:40 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:SpaceX has a lot more investors than just Musk, he is just the lead. I dont think they are public yet. Google i know had a piece of them. Same for the others.

Edison for electricity, Ford for automobiles, it the way its always worked. Air travel for plebians wasn't a thing till the late 1960's. It use to be extremely expensive now its 150 bucks to get on an airplane and go 1,000 miles.

Aside from from the fact that these billionaires are paying thousands of people serious money to advance the technology and speed up the pace of innovation, aeronautic engineers ain't cheap,, and because its capitalism drive down the cost. Its because of Musk et. al. that space will be affordable to the masses not because of anything NASA or the ESA are doing.

I'm very pro-capitalism, but I know that many people on NationStates aren't, and yet they support this. I like pointing out irony. Same applies to my post about environmentalism. Pointing out irony

Clearly, I need more coffee.... my bad.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:46 am

No, but not because I'm afraid of flying. It's a pointless waste of resources and if you really want to experience zero G, the vomit comet will probably give you more time doing that with less damage to the ozone layer.

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Founded: Dec 16, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:39 pm

Hispida wrote:
Alcala-Cordel wrote:Space is cool. Space capitalism is not.

Clearly you've never watched Cowboy Bebop.

What's that?
Ethel mermania wrote:
Hispida wrote:Clearly you've never watched Cowboy Bebop.

Or read Stanislav Lem.

Who?
Last edited by Alcala-Cordel on Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FROM THE RIVER TO THE SEA

Previous

Return to General