NATION

PASSWORD

How do you think NS will look like in the next few decades?

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.
User avatar
Team Lennox
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 182
Founded: Feb 24, 2020
Iron Fist Consumerists

How do you think NS will look like in the next few decades?

Postby Team Lennox » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:14 am

What do you think will happen in the NationStates future? Do you think fascism will be entirely eliminated? Do you think NationStates will turn into a more right leaning site? Do you think Regional Officers will hold more power? Well this is the thread for whatever happens in the future. Anything can happen, only YOU need to make it happen!
Former delegate of The Wooloo Pact

Lord Leo in The Vincence Empire

Former Minister Of Treasury in The Wooloo Pact until I coup'd it
Interests: Democracy,LGBTQIA+ rights,feminism,liberalism,freedom,Joe Biden, Black Lives Matter Movement

Disinterests: Fascism,Communism,Tolitartinism,Sexism,Racism, Anti-Semitism Donald Trump
Main nations: Team Leo Team Lennox

Proud warden of The Oder Of They Grey Wardens See a region raided. Call me up. I will get me and my defender buds to take care of it
Discord name:Team Leo#1996

I hate democracy

Grammar Checks

User avatar
Quebecshire
Envoy
 
Posts: 306
Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Quebecshire » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:20 am

I'm so spent on fascism being discussed as a gameplay issue. It really should be something the site moderators resolve.

I'd like to see more growth in region mechanics. The banners were a lovely new touch. I'm also quite a fan of Declarations. So I guess I'm hoping we continue to have improvements in the Security Council and gameplay/region-building stuff. That's just me, though, because those are the things I do here :)
Regionalist & Defender
Libcord, For Your Protection
The South Pacific: Legislator and SPSF Member. TSP Résumé.
The League: Consul and LDF Command.
NationStates Today: Writer and Governor
"Quebecshire has proven time and time again that he is perfectly capable of standing in front of a room, full of people who hate him and continuing to defend his views." - Redacted
"Quebec may be more regionalist than I ever was, which is basically the highest compliment I’m capable of giving." - HumanSanity
"I find it disappointing that Quebec has posted without saying cope." - Fauxia

User avatar
Juristonia
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5287
Founded: Oct 30, 2006
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Juristonia » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:23 am

Judging by the 15 years I've been here so far, probably about the same as it does now. :lol2:

NS, NS never changes.
Last edited by Juristonia on Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damn the man! Save the Empire!
Free Soviets wrote:facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Liriena wrote:Say what you will about fascists: they are remarkably consistent even after several decades of failing spectacularly elsewhere.

Geniasis wrote:Cite anything to back this up. Please. Even if it's in crayon. Even if all you're supporting is that period at the end of your sentence. Give something concrete.

Ifreann wrote:Indeed, as far as I can recall only one poster has ever supported legalising bestiality, and he was fucking his cat and isn't welcome here any more, in no small part, I imagine, because he kept going on about how he was fucking his cat.

User avatar
Durm
Secretary
 
Posts: 28
Founded: Jun 16, 2020
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Durm » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:36 am

The year is 2023. Defending has been dead for 2 years, and Holor has been appointed as Commander in Chief.

Then, TSP tries to restore defending or something like that...

The year is 2025. TSP has been destroyed. Emperor Puppet2 of TRR rules the world.
Last edited by Durm on Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visoraxus Holoratus Starkiller

User avatar
Countesia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 895
Founded: Oct 10, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Countesia » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:41 am

The double edged blade of free speech means that fascism will always be allowed to exist by those who preach it, and those who are disenfranchised enough to turn to hate as a coping mechanism will adhere to it.

But using your free speech, you can also spread unity, love and co-operation.

User avatar
Rabbitz
Secretary
 
Posts: 31
Founded: Dec 07, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Rabbitz » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:08 pm

The ideologies, the diplomatic squabbles, and the constant debates will always be there; however, who is backing each argument might change.

User avatar
Bears Armed
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 19901
Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:41 pm

If Fascism has been eliminated then the Left will be trying to eliminate Conservatism; or. if they have already succeeded in that as well, then -- depending on the extent of their other successes so far --they will be trying to eliminate Centrists... then Social Democrats... then democratic Socialists... then, depending on how they prioritize these latter ideologies as targets, Revolutionary Socialists and/or Anarcho-Syndicalists... then,again pending on how they prioritize these latter ideologies, Anarcho-Communists and/or non-revolutionary [Menshevik-style?] Marxists...
... and if they've managed to eliminate all of the other ideologies, already, then the Stalinists, Trotskyites, and Maoists, will be trying to eliminate each other...
... All of that presuming, of course, that the Stalinists, Trotskyites, and Maoists, don't just jump directly to the last of those stages.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Confederated Clans of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Our population is approximately 20 million. We do have a national government, although its role is strictly limited. Economy = thriving. Those aren't "biker gangs", they're our traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies'... and are generally respected, not feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152.

User avatar
Neo-Western East Korea
Civil Servant
 
Posts: 10
Founded: Jun 15, 2021
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Neo-Western East Korea » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:45 pm

In the Grim Darkness of NationStates 2031, there is only Centrism
The Left and Right lay broken, corpses stretched upon the wheels of stasis.
The population is kept in check by the Grill Patrol Organization, who imprison all those who use charcoal grills
It is 2031, and there is only mediocrity

User avatar
Sandaoguo
Envoy
 
Posts: 318
Founded: Apr 07, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Sandaoguo » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:32 pm

To take "look like" literally...

Find a website you think looks really good today, like the perfect example of today's design standards.

In 15 years, NS will look like that website does today. ;p

Anyways, Quebecshire is right that the existing of fascists on this website is entirely at the feet of the admins and moderators, who think they have no role to play, that NS doesn't exist in the grander scheme of online extremism, and as long as they remain ignorant of anything happening elsewhere, it's not their problem.

Besides, Antifa ops are providing such great R/D activity, why would we want to take that away? Players are forming entire treaty networks to fight fascists, if mods stepped in that would just be interrupting Gameplay!

User avatar
Qvait
Envoy
 
Posts: 241
Founded: Mar 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Qvait » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:34 pm

Durm wrote:The year is 2023. Defending has been dead for 2 years, and Holor has been appointed as Commander in Chief.

Then, TSP tries to restore defending or something like that...

The year is 2025. TSP has been destroyed. Emperor Puppet2 of TRR rules the world.

Good luck with that.
A blue jay from the South Pacific

2× Minister of Foreign Affairs /// Member of the Council on Regional Security /// Former Minister of Regional Affairs


My History

User avatar
Comfed
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1087
Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:25 pm

Bears Armed wrote:If Fascism has been eliminated then the Left will be trying to eliminate Conservatism; or. if they have already succeeded in that as well, then -- depending on the extent of their other successes so far --they will be trying to eliminate Centrists... then Social Democrats... then democratic Socialists... then, depending on how they prioritize these latter ideologies as targets, Revolutionary Socialists and/or Anarcho-Syndicalists... then,again pending on how they prioritize these latter ideologies, Anarcho-Communists and/or non-revolutionary [Menshevik-style?] Marxists...
... and if they've managed to eliminate all of the other ideologies, already, then the Stalinists, Trotskyites, and Maoists, will be trying to eliminate each other...
... All of that presuming, of course, that the Stalinists, Trotskyites, and Maoists, don't just jump directly to the last of those stages.

Yes, it's the evil leftist cabal that rules the site!

User avatar
Galiantus III
Diplomat
 
Posts: 899
Founded: Jan 23, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Galiantus III » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:41 pm

Sandaoguo wrote:Anyways, Quebecshire is right that the existing of fascists on this website is entirely at the feet of the admins and moderators, who think they have no role to play, that NS doesn't exist in the grander scheme of online extremism, and as long as they remain ignorant of anything happening elsewhere, it's not their problem.

Besides, Antifa ops are providing such great R/D activity, why would we want to take that away? Players are forming entire treaty networks to fight fascists, if mods stepped in that would just be interrupting Gameplay!

Okay, so why not rid the site of Communists, then? In the realm of extremism, they're just as bad. And this is just a game. It's not the real world. Why do you have a problem with letting everyone let off steam together? By all means, use gameplay to push your real-world views and "win" against genuinely terrible ideologies. But insofar as the site is concerned, it makes sense for it to be mostly politically neutral.
Last objected by The World Assembly on Sun, January 21, 2018, at 9:05 pm, objected 16,999 times in total.
Frisbeeteria wrote:
For some reason I have a mental image of a dolphin, trying to organize a new pod of his fellow dolphins to change the course of a nuclear sub. It's entertaining, I'll give ya that.
Ballotonia wrote:
Testing is for sissies. The actual test is to see how many people complain when any change is made ;)

User avatar
Keira
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 117
Founded: Oct 08, 2018
New York Times Democracy

Postby Keira » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:59 pm

I don't really care whatever bullshit nonsense is going on with the WA stuff. Or maybe I do? I dunno, I've been here since 2016 (well, -ish - I was DOS'd until 2018) and only now did I (sort of) find out that WA actually has some power over how the site is run?? Weird. :eyebrow: If that's the case, then I think WA should be removed (or repurposed), but it probably won't be.

Outside of that, given that in 2021 NS still uses the "smilies" which I remember from mid-2000s forums/shoutboxes, I don't think it's going to change one bit. :D (<- this "smilie" in particular is the most nostalgic, since I used to spam/abuse it as a kid online, and thus sometimes got nicknamed "alien", "greenie", etc xd)
Last edited by Keira on Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Federation of Keira
Social Liberalism - Keynesianism - Technoliberalism
Wiki | Map | President | Factbooks

About me | she / they | Progressive Social Democrat | No game stats | Dark theme | ex-DOS
Main: Helvena | Other puppets: Ygria Osttera

User avatar
Sandaoguo
Envoy
 
Posts: 318
Founded: Apr 07, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Sandaoguo » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:36 pm

Galiantus III wrote:
Sandaoguo wrote:Anyways, Quebecshire is right that the existing of fascists on this website is entirely at the feet of the admins and moderators, who think they have no role to play, that NS doesn't exist in the grander scheme of online extremism, and as long as they remain ignorant of anything happening elsewhere, it's not their problem.

Besides, Antifa ops are providing such great R/D activity, why would we want to take that away? Players are forming entire treaty networks to fight fascists, if mods stepped in that would just be interrupting Gameplay!

Okay, so why not rid the site of Communists, then? In the realm of extremism, they're just as bad. And this is just a game. It's not the real world. Why do you have a problem with letting everyone let off steam together? By all means, use gameplay to push your real-world views and "win" against genuinely terrible ideologies. But insofar as the site is concerned, it makes sense for it to be mostly politically neutral.

If communist regions are being used a recruiting tools to get young people to join offsite chats and forums, where they’re engaging in vile racism, QAnon-level conspiracies, actual QAnon conspiracies, religious hatred, and other extremist shit… then yes, let’s ban them too.

User avatar
Unibot III
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6263
Founded: Mar 11, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Unibot III » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:56 pm

Online chat tools, as they advance, will impact NS too. NS at one time used Yahoo Groups, then AIM, MSN… then IRC, Skype, now Discord.
[violet] wrote:I mean this in the best possible way,
but Unibot is not a typical NS player.
Milograd wrote:You're a caring, resolute lunatic
with the best of intentions.
Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008 | Former Delegate of TRR | Gameplay Alignment: -18 / -13
Unibotian Factbook // Collected works // The Gameplay Alignment Test //
Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
✯ Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

User avatar
The Church of Satan
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1386
Founded: Apr 15, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby The Church of Satan » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:59 pm

Durm wrote:

[i]The year is 2025. Emperor Puppet2 of TRR rules the world.

I mean, after 5 failed citizenship applications, this seems unlikely. :P
The Rejected Realms: Former Delegate | Former Vice Delegate | Longest Consecutively Serving Officer in TRR History - 824 Days

Chanku: This isn't an election it's an assault on the eyes. | Ikania: Hear! The Gospel of... Satan. Erh...
Yuno: Not gonna yell, but CoS is one of the best delegates ever | Ever-Wandering Souls: In the liberal justice system, raiding-based offenses are considered especially heinous. In The South Pacific, the dedicated defenders who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Council on Regional Security. These are their proscriptions. DUN DUN.

User avatar
Dixie 2260
Civilian
 
Posts: 1
Founded: Jul 14, 2021
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dixie 2260 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:02 pm

As an Antuquity user, exactly the same as it does now.

User avatar
Galiantus III
Diplomat
 
Posts: 899
Founded: Jan 23, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Galiantus III » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:24 pm

Sandaoguo wrote:
Galiantus III wrote:Okay, so why not rid the site of Communists, then? In the realm of extremism, they're just as bad. And this is just a game. It's not the real world. Why do you have a problem with letting everyone let off steam together? By all means, use gameplay to push your real-world views and "win" against genuinely terrible ideologies. But insofar as the site is concerned, it makes sense for it to be mostly politically neutral.

If communist regions are being used a recruiting tools to get young people to join offsite chats and forums,

If a region is using NS to advertise other websites and whatnot, that is definitely a problem and I would expect moderation to handle it.

where they’re engaging in vile racism, QAnon-level conspiracies, actual QAnon conspiracies, religious hatred, and other extremist shit… then yes, let’s ban them too.

That is all your personal value judgment of an ideology. I happen to agree with your evaluation of said ideology, but I don't think it is fair to demand site moderation and admin become activists on your behalf. Max can do what he likes with the site, and there are valid reasons to allow communities with dissenting opinions to exist, including the fact that this is a political game.
Last objected by The World Assembly on Sun, January 21, 2018, at 9:05 pm, objected 16,999 times in total.
Frisbeeteria wrote:
For some reason I have a mental image of a dolphin, trying to organize a new pod of his fellow dolphins to change the course of a nuclear sub. It's entertaining, I'll give ya that.
Ballotonia wrote:
Testing is for sissies. The actual test is to see how many people complain when any change is made ;)

User avatar
The Blaatschapen
Tech Modling
 
Posts: 59542
Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:45 am

Only three things are certain in life. Death, Taxes and NationStates' design.
1. Tech modling. No idea what it means, but it has a fancy colour.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8. Size matters. Bigger is forbidden and won't give the mods pleasure.

User avatar
Team Lennox
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 182
Founded: Feb 24, 2020
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Team Lennox » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:48 am

I believe that Fascism will be gone also. I expect a resurgence in raiding but also expect it to die so defending will be useless. I also expect some fascist vs anti fascist war on NationStates or something like ww1 here.
Former delegate of The Wooloo Pact

Lord Leo in The Vincence Empire

Former Minister Of Treasury in The Wooloo Pact until I coup'd it
Interests: Democracy,LGBTQIA+ rights,feminism,liberalism,freedom,Joe Biden, Black Lives Matter Movement

Disinterests: Fascism,Communism,Tolitartinism,Sexism,Racism, Anti-Semitism Donald Trump
Main nations: Team Leo Team Lennox

Proud warden of The Oder Of They Grey Wardens See a region raided. Call me up. I will get me and my defender buds to take care of it
Discord name:Team Leo#1996

I hate democracy

Grammar Checks

User avatar
The Blaatschapen
Tech Modling
 
Posts: 59542
Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:15 am

Team Lennox wrote:I believe that Fascism will be gone also. I expect a resurgence in raiding but also expect it to die so defending will be useless. I also expect some fascist vs anti fascist war on NationStates or something like ww1 here.


Nah.

Fascists have always been a small niche on NS. I don't see that suddenly becoming so big that it becomes a huge war.
1. Tech modling. No idea what it means, but it has a fancy colour.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8. Size matters. Bigger is forbidden and won't give the mods pleasure.

User avatar
Team Lennox
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 182
Founded: Feb 24, 2020
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Team Lennox » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:05 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Team Lennox wrote:I believe that Fascism will be gone also. I expect a resurgence in raiding but also expect it to die so defending will be useless. I also expect some fascist vs anti fascist war on NationStates or something like ww1 here.


Nah.

Fascists have always been a small niche on NS. I don't see that suddenly becoming so big that it becomes a huge war.

Oh, I am a 1 year old nation, I don't really know a lot of history on NationStates.
Keira wrote:I don't really care whatever bullshit nonsense is going on with the WA stuff. Or maybe I do? I dunno, I've been here since 2016 (well, -ish - I was DOS'd until 2018) and only now did I (sort of) find out that WA actually has some power over how the site is run?? Weird. :eyebrow: If that's the case, then I think WA should be removed (or repurposed), but it probably won't be.

Outside of that, given that in 2021 NS still uses the "smilies" which I remember from mid-2000s forums/shoutboxes, I don't think it's going to change one bit. :D (<- this "smilie" in particular is the most nostalgic, since I used to spam/abuse it as a kid online, and thus sometimes got nicknamed "alien", "greenie", etc xd)

How do you become UNDOS'd? I thought DOS's stay forever.
Former delegate of The Wooloo Pact

Lord Leo in The Vincence Empire

Former Minister Of Treasury in The Wooloo Pact until I coup'd it
Interests: Democracy,LGBTQIA+ rights,feminism,liberalism,freedom,Joe Biden, Black Lives Matter Movement

Disinterests: Fascism,Communism,Tolitartinism,Sexism,Racism, Anti-Semitism Donald Trump
Main nations: Team Leo Team Lennox

Proud warden of The Oder Of They Grey Wardens See a region raided. Call me up. I will get me and my defender buds to take care of it
Discord name:Team Leo#1996

I hate democracy

Grammar Checks

User avatar
Laka Strolistandiler
Minister
 
Posts: 2277
Founded: Jul 14, 2018
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Laka Strolistandiler » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:11 am

I mean the fascists (I sympathize them but can hardly be qualified as one if you look at the big picture) are definitely not going away. Antifa will raid our regions indefinitely, however, what I am sure of is that they’re essentially fighting an already lost war- the fascist regions are always recreated again and again… WA may try to ban them via declarations, which is too destined to fail- after all most of them don’t even care about gameplay or something…

Yes, I am half-black and yes, i am far right. Partially represents IRL views. Virgin at 19 and proud
Please stop calling me Slovenia or Baltics
A post-WWIII semi-democratic fascist empire ruled by a selfless Queen.

User avatar
Perikuresu
Attaché
 
Posts: 90
Founded: Jan 02, 2021
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Perikuresu » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:12 am

More summerposters
An island in the pacific that's primarily a melting point of Pacific Islander, East Asian and Franco-Italian cultures, or as some would say: an independent Hawai'i. In other words: A MT liberalwank nation whose main premise is composed on a melting pot of cultures and ethnicities (The latter quote is basically that image with Mutahar: Everybody uses it)

I comment on F7 way too much
Aerilia is lying! They're not a unicorn, they're a Welsh Dragon!
I feel like France and Italy are part of a trio, but idk what it is...

User avatar
Keira
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 117
Founded: Oct 08, 2018
New York Times Democracy

Postby Keira » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:13 am

Team Lennox wrote:
Keira wrote:I don't really care whatever bullshit nonsense is going on with the WA stuff. Or maybe I do? I dunno, I've been here since 2016 (well, -ish - I was DOS'd until 2018) and only now did I (sort of) find out that WA actually has some power over how the site is run?? Weird. :eyebrow: If that's the case, then I think WA should be removed (or repurposed), but it probably won't be.

Outside of that, given that in 2021 NS still uses the "smilies" which I remember from mid-2000s forums/shoutboxes, I don't think it's going to change one bit. :D (<- this "smilie" in particular is the most nostalgic, since I used to spam/abuse it as a kid online, and thus sometimes got nicknamed "alien", "greenie", etc xd)

How do you become UNDOS'd? I thought DOS's stay forever.

Nah. You may request, after some time, to have the DOS lifted.
Federation of Keira
Social Liberalism - Keynesianism - Technoliberalism
Wiki | Map | President | Factbooks

About me | she / they | Progressive Social Democrat | No game stats | Dark theme | ex-DOS
Main: Helvena | Other puppets: Ygria Osttera

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Advertisement

Remove ads