NATION

PASSWORD

Blaming single motherhood on welfare? Why?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kandorith
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2009
Capitalizt

Postby Kandorith » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:28 pm

GuessTheAltAccount wrote:
Jello Biafra wrote:The prevalence of single motherhood by state in the United States does not strongly correlate with the states that give more generous welfare. For the most part, it is just the opposite - the higher rates of single motherhood are in states with less generous welfare programs.

I'm just wondering why people need comparisons by state at all when comparison to Nordic countries as a whole makes the point far more clearly. Theoretically if you denied poor women who wanted kids welfare they could get themselves pregnant off rich men instead of ordinary men; if anything poverty might make them desperate enough to be more likely to resort to that than less; it's not like an ordinary man can provide as much in marriage as a rich man can provide through child support bills. If anything that's a loophole in prostitution law. (Not that I think prostitution should be illegal anyway.)

What in the holy even is this for an argument?
Great Empire of Kanyori | 大宮来国 | Arashi Kanyori Yokoku

Overview | Constitution | Anthem | Imperial Anthem | Armed Forces | Foreign Affairs | Emperor

Hikari Kyoyu Headlines:
BREAKING NEWS: LDP wins elections in landslide though Yoshiro Murakami will not return as prime minister they stated. | Latest technology showcased at the Empress Masumi Stadium as the January Tech Summit starts for the weekend | CDP claims LDP stole the election and will take legal steps against the election results

Jello Biafra
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Jello Biafra » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:02 pm

GuessTheAltAccount wrote:
Jello Biafra wrote:The prevalence of single motherhood by state in the United States does not strongly correlate with the states that give more generous welfare. For the most part, it is just the opposite - the higher rates of single motherhood are in states with less generous welfare programs.

I'm just wondering why people need comparisons by state at all when comparison to Nordic countries as a whole makes the point far more clearly.

I feel like using a 'by state' comparison, for the United States, has fewer differing variables than using a different country.

Previous

Return to General