NATION

PASSWORD

A conquest of paradise [IC | MT | SEMI-OPEN: READ OOC OP]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Batavie
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 18, 2021
Moralistic Democracy

A conquest of paradise [IC | MT | SEMI-OPEN: READ OOC OP]

Postby Batavie » Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:22 am

A CONQUEST OF PARADISE
A Commonwealth Society Roleplay

OOC | Timeline of Events (Coming Soon) | The Commonwealth Society | Regional Map

The IC thread for A Conquest of Paradise. You may only post here if you have been added to the ‘Participating Nations’ list in the OOC.

Please keep OOC chat to the OOC thread. This thread is for IC posts only.

Batavie
Bureaucrat

Moralistic Democracy

First post

Postby Batavie » Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:23 am

MSAP offices
17-06-2021
5 days before the document arived

“Sir, sir!” Noah’s secretary shouted to wake him up. “Yes, yes I am awake, Maaike, what’s up?” “Important phone call sir, it’s the defence minister of Saint-Auguste.” “Saint-Auguste? Okay, thank you Maaike.”

Noah closed the confidential document he was researching. He had been writing a report for the heads of state of the commonwealth society about a worrying group of pirates which seem to have connections far beyond the criminal.

“Hello Monsieur Delon, to what do I owe the pleasure?”

“Mister Visser, I call with bad news. A Saint-Augustine naval vessel has been attacked by pirates. However, this ship was close to our coast, nowhere near a pirate hotspot. The pirates are getting too cocky, we can’t let this continue to escalate.”

“Minister Delon, what was this naval vessel carrying?”

“That’s uh.. still being found out.”

“If I may be so free, was its cargo military in nature?”

“I can’t comment.”

“Sir, I’ve been preparing a report about a seemingly vast criminal conspiracy. I’ve suspected high placed officials throughout our commonwealth are involved for a while now. Our nations are allies and we can be open with each other on these issues, I promise not to contain this conversation in the report. So I ask again, what was the naval vessel carrying?”

“It was carrying weapons and ammunition, nothing special but obviously still very valuable. This shipment, like all our military shipments, was confidential and only disclosed to our parliamentarians and relevant military personnel.”

Noah is quiet for a little while, thinking over what Florentin Delon had just said.

“Perhaps one of your parliamentarians or military personnel is working with the pirates. Now obviously such internal corruption is not a matter for all the commonwealth but as long as I am kept up to date on the matter I can take it into account.”

“I believe that’s acceptable although I’ll discuss it with Prince Eug… Princess Stephanie.”

“Of course Monsieur Delon, congratulations with your first Princess.”

“Merci.”

As Noah hung up the phone he thought about the conversation he just had, he had assumed a Saint-Augustine would somehow be involved since usually where there’s money there’s Saint-Augustine’s. Although he finds it unlikely that the pirates only have one high placed contact, they must have international relations with politicians and the financial elite. He didn’t want to think it, but possibly even Batavians were involved. Any involvement from Demesetelis had been deemed unlikely in earlier reports considering the iron grip the family has on their nation. Of course, Kherkov was mentioned but Noah was unsure whether these were valid concerns or anti-autocratic propaganda.

Forgetting to translate the stamp on the document, he made sure to send it physically as he was worried emails were screened by support staff before being shown to the relevant heads of state.
Last edited by Batavie on Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:31 am, edited 4 times in total.

Kottsuki
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 04, 2021
Ex-Nation

First Post - Nakomodo Incident

Postby Kottsuki » Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:10 pm

Parliament Council Meeting Room; Aki Tower
28-06-2021
1 day after a medium scale explosion at port Nakomodo

The Parliament Council Meeting room is situated atop the famous Aki Tower, which functions as the nation's governmental epicenter. The room itself is circular in shape, and of modern design; with each of the five party's leaders having their own spacious seat around a grand yet minimalist table. Today, Prime Minister Takemoto Tatsuo has summoned the Councilors for an emergency meeting.

After 30 minutes of silence, Shimamoto Kame (Leader of the KNUP party and CEO of Shima-Asa Shipping Co.) voiced his annoyance: "Takemoto, may we begin already? If Adachi isn't showing up to a Council meeting that just goes to show how irresponsible he is; some of us are very busy people and these sudden meetings completely blow a person's schedule!"

"Got somewhere to be old man?" he gets interrupted by the young leader of the Progressive party, Sato Tadashi, as he plays with his pen.

"None of your business Sato; and you should show some respect for your elders-!"

Takamoto suddenly speaks up and in a composed voice addresses the annoyed Councilor "Councilor Shimamoto, I understand your frustration; and assure you that, as quite a busy man myself, what I summoned you all to talk about today is of utmost importance."

At that moment, Adachi Minoru, leader of the Trans-Opal Party and newly inaugurated CEO of Dishlin Transport Co. barges into the room and quickly bows "I am truly sorry for being late! Prime Minister Takemoto, may I join the meeting!"

"Take a seat Councilor Adachi. If that is everyone we may begin our meeting."

"Finally..." muttered Shimamoto while rolling his eyes

"Today at 6:30 in the morning, I recieved a concerning call form the Department of Defense. I believe you all are aware of the explosion that took place yesterday at Port Nakomodo."

Shimamoto, whose major shipment has been lost in that same explosion, visually took interest in what the Prime Minister had to say.

"Field Marshal Ishida reported to me that It is very likely this was an organized operation, and not some freak accident. Furthermore, he claims It's possible that this specific group has ties to a much bigger organization. He reports military grade explosive remnants were recovered from the explosion site... and that there was an incident involving a group with such resources all the way in Saint-Auguste waters a few weeks prior..."

Sato also got intrigued and decided to add "Pirate organization you say? But what use do they have of blowing the merchandise of the face of the earth?"

"Indeed that is the most concerning thing of all. As such their actions resemble a terrorist attack and that is how the Department of Defense is treating the situation."

"B-but why my company? Those containers didn't hold anything of particular value! And how did they gain access to the port!"

"Yes, those are all troubling questions, I already took the liberty of commissioning a special task-force to look into the matter, but the investigation has just begun.. In the meantime, I think we are all in agreement when I say that we avoid referring to this incident as a terrorist attack; I imagine trade corporations don't like rough waters, if you will.."

Everyone proceeded to silently agree

Last edited by Kottsuki on Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kherkov
Senator

Founded: May 13, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kherkov » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:48 am

The König Wilhelm Office

The Kriegerburg
Gratberg
Kherkov

As the sun began to set, ending another mild Kherkovian summer day, the Kaiser leant back into the leather chair, as the attendants he had summoned began to pack away his laptop and various documents that were strewn across the desk. Wearing his casual summer suit, the Kaiser then stood and strolled over to the window that overlooked the palace courtyard, where gardeners were working, civil servants were scurrying, and soldiers were marching. Lighting a cigarette, the Kaiser let his mind wander to the evening he had planned tonight with some of the General Staff and the Crown Prince. A short flight to Folstav would be followed by a helicopter trip to Lake Wechel, where one of the Imperial yachts would be waiting. As new attendants entered the office to present a selection of boating attire, the Kaiser made the signal for ‘halt’, causing the servants packing the papers away to stop immediately. The Kaiser picked up a light file emblazoned with the seal of the Commonwealth Society. Waving the attendants away, he opened up the folder.

It was a report from the Commonwealth’s Anti-Piracy Commission that had been delivered some weeks back. The Imperial Government had judged the letter to be of little concern to Kherkov, but something had led the Kaiser to retain the file rather than destroy it. Despite voting to support the creation of the Commission, Kherkov had still not officially joined the MSAP brigade. Outside of Kherkov, there was still speculation as to whether the nation would commit ships to the force, but internally it was no secret to anyone that worked in the Kriegerburg that the Navy would not commit even an atom of its materiel to a pan-Commonwealth organisation. And so, the report had been largely relegated from the attention of Imperial officials. Indeed, the vast majority of the buzz in the Kriegerburg centred around the ongoing Kaarite Civil War, in which Kherkovian forces were seeing involvement supporting the Kingdom of Argomon. The offices of the palace also were busy liaising with new partners in the Belt and Network Initiative - as well as the Krepost Pact – and making arrangements for the upcoming Commonwealth Games and Albionia Championship. The consensus had largely been that Gratberg was too busy to deal with – and indeed, above – a group of seaborne brigands. And if the pirates had, by some miracle, somehow managed to establish connections in Kherkov, the agents of the military police would have found them long before this Commonwealth report had even been written, let alone delivered.

But now the Kaiser had realised why he had kept the file. As ever, he had been sure that there was some sort of opportunity to be had. And now, he had deciphered what the opportunity was. With Franz-Ackermann’s election as Chair, the Imperial desire to present Kherkov as a truly viable international power was clearly bearing fruit. But Kherkov was to be different than the liberal nations. And this was an opportunity to demonstrate that, the Kaiser reasoned. Stubbing out his cigarette, the Kaiser pressed one of the buttons that was integrated into the wooden desk. The attendants re-entered the room, placing the laptop facing the Kaiser and powering it on, before leaving again. After logging on and opening a program, a shrill ringtone echoed through the room.

“Your Imperial Majesty,” came the voice of Reichskommissar for Foreign Affairs Von Augustbach, “good evening.” The old man could be seen saluting on the laptop’s screen.

The Kaiser gave a quick wave before holding up the folder and pointing at it. “These pirates. Krepost must assemble its naval forces and create a strong presence in the affected regions.”

Augustbach’s eyes widened. “Philanthropic as ever, sir.” The dull spark of a match could be heard from the laptop as the Reichskommissar lit a cigar.

The Kaiser chuckled. “Not quite. The time has come to show the Commonwealth that Krepost will take the lead for international security, not some jumped-up Commission, and that the Pact is a force for everyone’s benefit. We’ve pledged to protect Belt and Network shipping lanes through our own might, as well. While there’s been little news of developments since the report – well, aside from that accident in Kottsuki which may or may not have been related - let us be proactive. Even if it all amounts to nothing, it will be a good opportunity to further foster relations with the newest Observer States.”

Von Augustbach nodded. “Yes, sir… order and strength for the Commonwealth, et cetera, et cetera.”

“Make the arrangements, Reichskommissar – I’ve a dinner to attend.”

Kherkovian Imperial Communiqué
From the desk of the Reichskommissar for the Exterior
To: Krepost Pact Member State Viperia, Krepost Pact Observer States Halleon, Sanguinem Sanctorum, The Blue Sakura
CC: Krepost Pact Observer State Argomon

Comrades old and new,

I write with regards to the recent reports of criminal activity in the northern Melioric and Imparic oceans. While no reports of escalation or increased activity have been received as of yet, it is the opinion of the Kaiser that the Pact should take action in order to ensure any future action is well-met. It is also the opinion of the Kaiser that this is a prime opportunity to train together and enhance naval collaboration between our nations.

To this end, the Reichsvolksmarine will be assembling a number of task forces that will be dispatched to the international waters in order to cover most of the region’s seas, and respond quickly to any instances of criminal activity. These task forces will operate completely independent of the MSAP Commission, and so will be free from any operational influence from foreign liberal powers. The Kaiser wishes to invite all Krepost nations to join us, with as many or as little forces as desired.

Together, we can achieve strength and order for the Commonwealth. Let us all take the lead, and show the Commonwealth the immense power and unending generosity of the Pact.

Krepost Prevails.

Signed,
His Grace Admiral Gottfried von Augustbach, Reichskommissar for the Exterior.
Last edited by Kherkov on Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
+ England expects that every man will do his duty +

Co-Founder of the RP Region The Commonwealth Society
Regional Factbook | Join our Discord | Kherkov Factbook
Nation is RP - not equal to RL views

Saint-Auguste
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 12, 2020
Capitalizt

Postby Saint-Auguste » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:19 pm

Crown Council Chamber, Beauharnais Palace
Beauharnais Island
Les Trois-Îlets, Saint-Auguste

An emergency Crown Council meeting had been called due to the unfolding events off the coast of Sainte-Maxime. Sainte-Maxime is an old city, full of culture and deep tradition, it is a popular tourist destination due it's location on the warm south coast and it's architectural beauty. It is extremely out of character for such large scale criminal activity to take place in the region.

All but Stéphanie had arrived for the meeting, the council members remained silent until Stéphanie walked in. An air of seriousness flooded the room, uncharacteristic of how these meetings usually go which is usually very casual and chatty.

The Princess began to speak.

"Thank you all for coming on such short notice. We all know why we are here, a very serious incident took place within our waters to one of our own vessels. This is absolutely unacceptable and should've never happened. I want an immediate inquiry into this incident. We will be increasing our activity within the MSAP task force, and actively pursuing pirate vessels."

"Monsieur Delon has been in contact with the head of the MSAP commission already. The report states that the pirates have a military-grade destroyer and a communication jammer, this implies nation state funding. We must consider the possibility that someone within our government is involved, with it being so close to home all eyes will be on us for answers."

"I want to immediately increase funding for our navy, we must advance and improve our naval force to be able to deal with such adversaries."

Jean-Paul Thévenet, the current Minister of State who was appointed by Prince Eugène, nodded along to Princess Stéphanie's words. He was the first to reply to the Princess.

"Your majesty, I wholehearted agree with your vision. It would be an embarrassment for something like this to happen again, and even more so if one of our own was responsable for it. I will action an investigation into all members of government, including us in this room, and all MPs in the national council. Any government officials with access to naval information will be questioned. Pirates don't just find military-grade vessels by chance, this was a calculated attack."

Sainte-Maxime Docklands
Sainte-Maxime, Saint-Auguste

Upon hearing the news, Prince Pierre immediately drove to Sainte-Maxime to oversee the rescue and recover mission. The Prince pulled up in his 200,000 Franc electric sports car, a statement to his dedication to reducing carbon emissions. Pierre met with those who were on the ship and heard their stories first-hand to understand the situation fully. Pierre called his sister to inform her of what he had learnt.

"Stéph, I've spoken with some of the personnel from the incident. They said at first they thought it was a Britcani ship... Pirates with a military-grade ship... If there was ever a reason for the creation of the MSAP commission it was this. How was our vessel not perpared to strike at the sight of pirates?" Pierre said with a frustrated tone.

"Pierre I want you to lead the inquiry for this. We must make sure all our naval vessels are fully equipped to fight these pirates. It's unacceptable that one of our navy vessels lacked the firepower and were completely at the mercy of lawless pirates. We are better than this, our nation will be stronger."

"I will absolutely take the lead on that, we have a duty to protect our people, and our navy is the frontline right now."

Demesetelis
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 23, 2021
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Demesetelis » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:24 pm

Melioric Ocean
55 Kilometers North-East of Swanzi

The sun is gently setting over the rough waters of the Melioric Ocean. Just outside of the typical shipping lanes, this patch of water was typically pretty quiet. Today though, that peace would soon be broken. An interestingly marked cabin cruiser is making its way along the North Eastern coast of Swanzi, destination unknown. As the boat ripped through the water, Jackson took a moment to reflect on what has gotten him here, sat on a pirate's boat on his way back from meeting their captain. He was supposed to be a patriot. Then why am I sitting here? He thinks for a moment. Money, always for money. Still gotta pay back the Testarossa. His thoughts were interrupted by the sound of another boat slapping against the water. Over the horizon he could see something cutting a line straight towards them. Is that thing gold coloured? He wondered once the ship had gotten close enough to make out some detail. He could barely see the outline of someone running along its deck. Before he could see anything else, a single shot rang out, unmistakable, even over the roar of the engines. The mystery boat altered its course, starting to turn away. "They turn quick once we start shooting, eh?" Laughed one of the pirates. His laugh quickly stopped once the M2 Browning on the mystery boat began firing in response.

Minutes earlier, speeding across the open water Caane studied the boat with his binoculars.

"I count 4, driver, passenger, 2 on the bench."

"Armed?" Replied the Captain, the five gold stars pinned to his chest rattling with the vibrations of the ship.

"Of course," Shouts Caane "Look at the markings, pirates for sure! Hot damn! Get closer I'm going to the gun."

As he reached that gun, and its multiple 40 round .50 caliber (Red tip, of course!) box magazines, the shot rang out.

"They shot first!!" Shouted Caane with glee. "Give me a good angle!"

As soon as the captain gave him that angle, he let hellfire loose on the pirate scum. Caane was quite the shot, but even then, on a speeding boat, more than half of his shots missed. Unfortunately for the pirates, the ones that didn't were more than enough to spell their doom. Round after round, he unloaded into the boat. The bullets exploded upon contact, sending small pieces of shrapnel flying throughout the area. After the first box, the pirates were most likely dead. After the second, no shadow of a doubt. Caane stopped after his third box, the boat having caught fire.

"FUCKING PIRATES" Shouted Caane "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU FUCK WITH A DEMESETELIS" He grabbed one of his guns from within his robes, his father's Desert Eagle. "For baba!" Caane fired wildly towards the burning wreckage.

After he was finished, he turned to the Captain. "Lets go, radio it in to the commission." Before taking his seat, Caane grabbed a bottle of whisky and a glass from a nearby cabinet. Having poured his drink, the boat took off, and Caane enjoyed his ride back with whisky and a cigar.

Couckebacker Naval Base
Sint Maarten Island
Batavie

Strolling into the warehouse-turned-command center, head held high, Caane expected applause as he stepped into the room. Instead, the technicians toiling away inside took little notice of him. Walking with a little less pep in his step, he made his way through the building towards the offices hastily constructed in the back. Entering the commander's office, he steps right into an argument between the base commander, Hendrik van der Pol, and Awil, Caane's Head of Anti-Pirate measures.

"How are we supposed to get actionable intel when they are dead!?" Shouted Hendrik right as Caane stepped into the room.

"They shot first!" Caane replies, sounding a little dejected. "What was I supposed to do? Let them play target practice with my boat?"

"Your Highness" Hendrik bows, face a shade redder than it was before. "I meant no offence, it is just that we can not learn much about these pirates, nor their intentions, when they are shot and their boat is at the bottom of the ocean."

"Well, we can recover the boat, can't we Awil?" Questioned Caane.

"Let me see..." Awil replies, flipping through maps sat on the table in front of him. "Bad news.... the ocean is at least 5000 meters deep around where you intercepted the boat, at that point it isn't worth the effort."

"Damn. At least your intel was correct Hendrik. Has your mystery contact slipped us anything else?"

"Nothing since the last drop. This one was supposed to be big, did you notice anything special about the boat? Before you turned it into swiss cheese?"

"Not exactly... just some pirates on a boat. Nothing special."

Hendrik made to slam his fist against the table, before remembering his company and gently resting his palm on it instead. Speaking slowly and somewhat forced, "You knew how much this intel cost us. Wilhelmina will not be happy we are wasting the funds she so graciously bestowed upon our efforts here."

"There will be more pirates, of that I am sure!" Interjects Awil. "If we can capture some alive, I am sure we can figure out where their money and supplies are coming from."

"Alive being the key word" Spat Hendrik.

"I get it, I get it. I had every intention of capturing them, you know!" Said Caane, throwing his hands into the air.

"We will send a Batavian patrol next time. Someone better equipped for such a mission." Seeing the disappointment on Caane's face, he continues, "Don't worry, you have plenty of fun patrolling Demesetelian waters, do you not?"

"Yeah, but they know not to come near us. I will accompany this patrol. Awil, contact Adeel with the information as soon as you have it."

"Well, I don't.." Started Hendrik, before being cut off by Caane.

"I do. I will be part of this. Awil, have one of the geeks prepare the footage from my ship. Perhaps we can learn something from the recording."

Hendrick sighs. "Good idea. While you are out there, have Johannes send us that radio chatter we intercepted from the Delph Sea." he ordered, having resigned to the Sultan's wishes.

Batavie
Bureaucrat

Moralistic Democracy

2nd post

Postby Batavie » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:02 pm

The Commonwealth Society Assembly building
Ida, Britcan
Vice-Chair offices
01-08-2021

It was clear most nations didn’t feel as though the commission’s warning were to be taken seriously on the international stage. Although ships had been dealing with increased piracy at a high level, the larger naval powers would rather patrol the waterways themself.

Noah was worried that if he assembled a task force of only the SBDK he’d just be fuelling anti-cooperation rhetoric. Due to his recent election as vice-chair, his duties had only become more time-consuming. Having to come up with a plan to give the commission and himself some much-needed legitimacy, he took a large gulp from his coffee and got to work.

Blauwe Kamer
Paleis Noordeinde
Willem Stad, Batavia
05-08-2021

Back home in Batavia, Queen Wilhelmina was reading through her old diaries. After having been Queen for just under 3 years, Wilhelmina, still being 11 at this point, was told by her regent that they were going to declare a ‘war on piracy’ and wanted her to do the broadcast.

It was her first televised speech, and as always when the monarch speaks to the whole nation, every radio, television, loudspeaker or any other audio transmitting device was tuned in. She remembers speaking the words: “We’ve had enough, we declare a war on piracy.”

Back then she knew many of her fellow Batavians would lose their life, but many more would prove their bravery in battle. As Batavian is mostly a naval power the war was fought mostly by denying the pirates access to the sea, things were simpler then, they didn’t have military-grade vessels, no political influence just a few ships. She also knew full well most pirates were poor natives trying to get food, however, she reasoned she was not their monarch and had an obligation to her own people.

She thought her war on piracy had ended in 1995 when she gave the “mission accomplished” speech, named after the large banner behind her, proclaiming victory over piracy. Now, reading her diary, she was reminded of the early years of her reign and life, both coloured by this war. Now confronted with piracy again the demons of her youth echoed back into her mind. She put her diary aside and called Prime-Minister Willem into her office.

“Willem, there’s something we have to discuss.”

“Yes your majesty, what is it?”

Wilhelmina awkwardly shifted in her seat

”I am quite concerned about this whole pirate situation. I know it’s being handled by van der Pol who’s a very distinguished admiral from the pirate war, but I worry Noah’s position in the commonwealth leadership might hamper his focus on the commission. I want you to speak with him and tell him to get a task force going asap.”

“I did want to speak to you about that, he emailed me just now telling me he was doing just that. He wants to make sure it’s not the usual suspects helping him out. Literally, he wrote ‘I don’t see the point of this commission if in practice it is nothing but an extension of the SBDK.’ Obviously, that part was only to me, not to other members of the government.”

“Alright, alright. That alleviates some of my worries. Now that’s not the main issue I want to discuss.”

“Alright, what is it you want to discuss your majesty?”

“As you know, the ‘Nieuwe Ideaal’ project always had territorial expansion in mind. Some of our colonies in the northeast are bearing fruits, but as we’re quickly approaching our population targets I think we need to stake claim to a large swathe of land.”
Wilhelmina walks over to the map on the other side of her office.

”If we were to send in troops to these areas west, we would be able to take control of them and send colonisation groups. These are practically unpopulated besides small coastal settlements combining to a total of about 75 thousand people as no one bothered cutting down the thick jungle to make room for more. I don’t foresee issues as all the previous indigenous populations have been driven way north due to the war on piracy and subsequent paramilitary conflicts, the remaining 75 thousand are the Mennonite ‘Vissers’ who will probably accept our rule as long as we give them their own autonomous zone.”

“I concur your majesty, however, I think we should organise a referendum among the Visser communities as we can fearmonger about modern piracy and promise them protection if they elect to join our kingdom under an autonomous zone. We still have contacts in the area from the war on piracy that we can use to convince the elders. We can then send soldiers with the permission of the local populace, not that we couldn’t otherwise, but this way it seems justified to the international community.”

“Alright Willem, I trust you to handle this well.”

“Yes your majesty, thank you for this opportunity.”

The Commonwealth Society Assembly building
Ida, Britcan
Vice-Chair offices
06-08-2021

Having just gotten off the phone with representatives from Halleon, Noah had secured someone outside of his usual ‘sphere’ to pledge ships to a joint task force. Although he hadn’t officially gotten word, he imagined his SBDK allies were all willing to pledge ships to some extent. If not, Demesetalian fervour would get them a long way to their end goal.

Kottsuki
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 04, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Kottsuki » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:03 am

Task-Force Offices; Kottsuki Metropolitan Police HQ
01-08-2021
The group of private detectives gathered in an office leased to them by the Kottsuki government

"Alright fellas, let's go over the morning briefing" said the lead investigator, esteemed private detective Shinohara Satoshi

The rest of the detectives had formidable track-records, but were visually displeased at the thought of being ordered around; 'expected from a bunch of private detectives' thought Shinohara to himself

"I trust you all went over the Nakomodo worker's testimonies."

"I think the testimonies are a waste of time, there's hundreds of workers there, It's not that hard to imagine someone got by the security with a sloppy disguise." commented a detective from the crowd

"I don't like it either, but we need to assess the way these people operate. If we are dealing with someone who has financial support we need to change our approach; and these minimum-wage workers are more than willing to take a bribe."

"Alright well anyway, I found something interesting. Apparently security cameras haven't picked up anyone entering the port from land. Either the security guard is lying, or the bomb came in another way."

"By ship? That might be a problem. We are dealing with one of the busiest ports in the world, add to that we need to look back weeks of shipping logs.."

"Uh-yeah Kottsuki doesn't do bomb checks..." exclaimed a younger detective, he's been quiet so far. So much so that nobody noticed his presence.

"What?"

"Kottsukian law states that Kottsukian ships aren't liable to be checked when accessing domestic ports..."

"You don't say? That narrows it down. You, pull up shipping logs for Kottsukian ships that accessed port Nakomodo past two weeks."

"I still think this is a sloppy lead."

"Well, It's the only one we've got so far. I'll get some of you to check into that security guard's claim, but others get to work on combing those shipping logs."

Shinohara's Apartment
03-08-2021
Two days of rigorous digging later

Shinohara is smoking a cigarette in his humble apartment; a sudden summer rain has started, so he approached the window for some refreshing moisturized air. He dialed a number on a satellite phone. After couple of moments of ringing, a voice picked up.

"Mr. Shinohara"

"Mr. Prime Minister, good evening."

"I'm listening"

"The bomb was most likely smuggled in by ship, a Kottsukian ship more specifically, since this country has shitty regulation for domestic ships."

"I see. Anything else?"

"Yes as a matter of fact. We've done some digging. As it turns out all Kottsukian ships that docked at the port in the last two weeks belonged to companies that are owned by Shima-Asa Shipping Co."

A short silence ensued

"I see... I have a request for you."

"Investigate Councilor Shimamoto; with your cooperation I will."

"I'm pleased with your results so far; call if there's anything I can do to assist your efforts." they hung up

'He didn't sound particularly pleased, I suppose that's the kind of person he is. I wouldn't want to spite that guy, heaven knows the things he's done to reach the top of the food chain. Thankfully, I'm but a simple private investigator.'
Last edited by Kottsuki on Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

Britcan
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Britcan » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:17 pm

Ministry of Defence
Lontwa, Britcan

The Minister of Defence was in a bad mood. He’d been in a bad mood for a while. Hurst’s election as WA delegate was meant to have been his chance for promotion, but this bloody piracy nonsense had meant that the Prime Minister had kept him in post, saying something about “a reliable hand on the tiller”. It was all a setup, the Prime Minister just didn’t want him in a strong position for a leadership challenge after the election.

His secretary had delivered him some reports, initial findings of investigations by the intelligence services and the Naval branch of the Royal Military Police. They were searching for evidence of a leak. This was largely just a courtesy to the other nations of the Commonwealth Society. While the Britcani government did have close relations with Saint-Auguste, they held little information of note when it came to the classified movements of Batavie ships. Their relationship neither facilitated information sharing nor warranted close monitoring. The source of the leak being Britcani was therefore highly improbable. Nevertheless, if there was anything to dig up then the investigation would undoubtedly do so. Decades of paranoia about Kherkovian spies had some benefits.

He turned to the newest document. This one was brief. It was a memo from the Chief of Naval Staff. The Britcani Navy had been patrolling Britcani waters and major shipping lanes since the news of the incident had broken. Now that a few weeks had passed the shipping lanes were now believed to be secure and the Cheif of Staff was advising that it would now be possible to send support to the MSAP’s anti-piracy operations. He sighed and reached for a pen.

Official Communiqué of the Kingdom of Britcan
Ministry of Defence
To: Noah Visser, Commission for Maritime Security and Anti-Piracy

Dear Sir,

The Kingdom of Britcan would like to once again it's condolences for the loss of the Batavian vessel. Our internal investigation into the two reported acts of piracy has now concluded. Unfortunately these investigations have yielded no information as to the identity or intention of these pirates, nor the source of their funding.

The Kingdom of Britcan can further report that our waters and shipping lanes have been secured to our satisfaction and, in light of this fact, is prepared to offer support to any task force constituted.

Signed,
Fredrick Schmidt, Defence Minister of the Kingdom of Britcan
Last edited by Britcan on Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

This nation should not be taken to be representative of my real-life views, nor should any of the nonsense I posted on here as a teenager.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents