NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] A Symbolic Meaning

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] A Symbolic Meaning

Postby Daarwyrth » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:45 pm

CURRENT DRAFT:
[Title] A Symbolic Meaning

[Validity] None(?)

[Description ] A young, rising star within your nation's ruling party has brought forward a new plan to ensure that the party remains in power for years to come, namely to have its symbols be tantamount to the national ones, so as to increase the likelihood that citizens will associate your party with the state itself. Yet the question remains what symbols best represent your party, and thus the new national identity of @@NAME@@.

[Option 1] "Law and order, that's what our party has always stood for," declares one of the more senior party members at the impromptu conference in your office. "Let Lady Justice's scale and sword be our guiding symbol forward in a society of blind obedience to the law. That's what the blindfold is for, no?"

[Effect 1] market stalls using scales for foodstuffs are broken down for profanation of the national symbols

[Option 2] "Ugh, you and your obsession with blindfolded women," scoffs @@RANDOMNAME@@, the rising star in question. "Our party embodies progress and prosperity, what better way to represent that by venerating the cornucopia, and a healthy support plan for businesses? Before you know it we'll be swimming in abundance!"

[Effect 2] the horn of plenty is abundant for some and empty for others

[Option 3] "Then you haven't been paying attention to recent developments in our neck of the woods," notes one of the environmentalists of the party, while plucking moss from @@HIS@@ hair and eating it. "I propose we raise the @@ANIMAL@@ onto an even higher pedestal. It would help in creating awareness on the plight of our wildlife, and Mother Nature."

[Effect 3] the lyrics of the national anthem have been replaced with @@ANIMAL@@ sounds

[Option 4] "The fact that no one mentions the symbols of our faith, means that we have strayed from the path of righteousness a little too far," sweetly notes @@RANDOMNAME@@ of the religious bloc of the party with a chuckle. "I suggest we return to piety and devotion to the divine with haste by raising its holy symbols as our own."
[Validity] Has not banned Religion

[Effect 4] pyres have become a symbol for @@NAME@@'s blazing piety and devotion

[Option 5] "Dignity, elegance, majesty: what better way to represent those than by a crowned head," notes the sole monarchist within the party, while straitening @@HIS@@ purple jacket. "With a royal family at the helm coming from our party ranks we'll forever stamp our identity on this nation, and ensure there'll always be a national symbol to rally behind in times of national joy or hardship."
[Validity] Doesn't have Monarchy

[Effect 5] the royals always seem to wear the ruling party's colours

[Option 6] "Did our proud citizens in uniform die for diddly-doo?!" fumes retired General @@RANDOMNAME@@ with the all-too-familiar pulsing vein in @@HIS@@ forehead. "Generations of @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ have served with our current national symbols in their hearts and minds. All we need is some mandatory reminders for you youngsters it's worth dying for them."

[Effect 6] it's a little drafty in @@NAME@@ these days
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:49 am, edited 12 times in total.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:47 pm

DRAFT 3:

[Validity] None(?)

[Description ] A young, rising star within your nation's ruling party has brought forward a new plan to ensure that the party remains in power for years to come, namely to have its symbols be tantamount to the national ones, so as to increase the likelihood that citizens will associate your party with the state itself. Yet the question remains what symbols best represent your party, and thus the new national identity of @@NAME@@.

[Option 1] "Law and order, that's what our party has always stood for," declares one of the more senior party members at the impromptu conference in your office. "Let Lady Justice's scale and sword be our guiding symbol forward in a society of blind obedience to the law. That's what the blindfold is for, no?"

[Effect 1] market stalls using scales for foodstuffs are broken down for profanation of the national symbols

[Option 2] "Ugh, you and your obsession with blindfolded women," scoffs @@RANDOMNAME@@, the rising star in question. "Our party embodies progress and prosperity, what better way to represent that by venerating the cornucopia, and a healthy support plan for businesses? Before you know it we'll be swimming in abundance!"

[Option 3] "Then you haven't been paying attention to recent developments in our part of these woods," notes one of the environmentalists of the party, while plucking moss from @@HIS@@ hair and eating it. "I propose we raise the @@ANIMAL@@ onto an even higher pedestal. It would help in creating awareness on the plight of our wildlife, and Mother Nature."

[Effect 3] the lyrics of the national anthem have been replaced with @@ANIMAL@@ sounds

[Option 4] "Might makes right," says retired General @@RANDOMNAME@@, @@HIS@@ camouflage suit making him barely visible against the office backdrop. "Our symbols should be the military's symbols, and it would be good to instil some militaristic fervour and discipline in all layers of our society, but especially in those who come of age."

[Effect 4] it's a little drafty in @@NAME@@ these days

[Option 5] "The fact that no one mentions the symbols of our faith, means that we have strayed from the path of righteousness a little too far," sweetly notes @@RANDOMNAME@@ of the religious bloc of the party with a chuckle. "I suggest we return to piety and devotion to the divine with haste by raising its holy symbols as our own."

[Effect 5] pyres have become a symbol for @@NAME@@'s blazing piety and devotion

[Option 6] "Dignity, elegance, and majesty, what better way to represent those than by a crowned head," notes the sole monarchist within the party, while straitening @@HIS@@ purple jacket. "With a royal family at the helm we'll forever stamp our party's identity on this nation, and ensure there'll always be a national symbol to rally behind in times of national joy or hardship."

[Effect 6] the royals always seem to wear the ruling party's colours

DRAFT 2:

[Validity] None(?)

[Description ] A young, rising star within your nation's ruling party has brought forward a new plan to ensure that the party remains in power for years to come, namely to have its symbols become the new national ones, to increase the likelihood that citizens will associate your party with the state itself. Yet the question remains what symbols best represent your party, and thus the new national identity of @@NAME@@.

[Option 3] "Then you haven't been paying attention to recent developments in our part of these woods," notes one of the environmentalists of the party, while plucking moss from @@HIS@@ hair and eating it. "I propose we raise the @@ANIMAL@@ onto an even higher pedestal. It would help in creating awareness on the plight of our wildlife, and Mother Nature."

[Option 4] "Might makes right," says retired General @@RANDOMNAME@@, being barely visible because of @@HIS@@ camouflage suit. "Our symbols are our military's symbols, and it would be good to instill some militaristic fervour and discipline in all layers of our society, but especially in those who come of age."

[Effect 4] it's a little drafty in @@NAME@@ these days

[Option 5] "The fact that no one mentions the symbols of our faith, means that we have strayed from the path of righteousness a little too far," sweetly notes @@RANDOMNAME@@ of the religious bloc of the party with a chuckle. "I suggest we return to piety and devotion to the divine with haste by raising its holy symbols as our own."

[Effect 5] pyres have become a symbol for @@NAME@@'s blazing piety and devotion

[Option 6] "Dignity, elegance, and majesty, what better way to represent those than by a crowned head," notes the sole monarchist within the party, while straitening @@HIS@@ purple jacket. "With a royal family at the helm we'll forever stamp our party's identity on this nation, and ensure there'll always be a national symbol to rally behind in times of national joy or hardship."

[Effect 6] the royals always seem to wear the ruling party's colours

DRAFT 1:

[Validity] Has low Patriotism

[Description] A recent study on the various national symbols of nations across @@REGION@@ left your citizens in a state, as the entry on @@NAME@@ was filled with empty spaces and multiple question marks in close succession. Yet when asked what the country's national symbols were, many a citizen came up empty. As a result, the subject has now occupied the center of attention during today's cabinet meeting.

[Option 1] "We love @@ANIMALPLURAL@@, right?" notes the Minister for the Environment. "Why not craft a clever little origin myth around one swallowing and spitting up our founders on the lands that make up @@NAME@@ today, and form a patriotic cult around them? I'd be great for raising awareness on the environment and the plight of the wildlife!"

[Effect 1] statues of @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ line every corner of every street

[Option 2] "Z, z, z, I'm already asleep," ridicules the Minister of Labour. "Come on, we want to appear ambitious and enterprising! I propose we ingrain the patriotic notion of 'the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ dream' into our citizens, in which everyone can aspire to shoot past the sky to height's unlimited, and seize opportunities endless. It's the perfect symbol to rally behind!"

[Effect 2] sloths are no longer welcome in @@NAME@@

[Option 3] "We could make some sport as our national symbol?" perks up the full of figure Minister of Health. "Something that encapsulates what it means to be a @@DEMONYM@@, something that'll unite our citizens in roaring euphoria and patriotic pride whenever there's a match or competition on. I bet it would also help in reducing our obesity figures, heh."

[Effect 3] a failure to cheer is a reason to fear

[Option 4] "If our faith wasn't listed as our national symbol, then we have strayed a little too far from the path to righteousness," says your Minister of Religious Affairs sweetly, finishing with a chuckle. "And it's the fault of those pesky little heathens. I propose we strengthen faith in the divine across all layers of society, and raise its holy symbols as our own."
[Validity] Has medium religiousness

[Effect 4] pyres have become a symbol for @@NAME@@'s blazing piety and devotion

[Option 5] "We have science centres that are the envy of @@REGION@@, and scientists that make Bertie Onestone appears like dunce," declares the Minister of Education and Research. "Do away with the silly humanities, and let our mastery of chemistry, our understanding of physics, and our pursuit of undiscovered knowledge be our symbol of national pride!"
[Validity] Has high scientific advancement

[Effect 5] the loss of the humanities has left @@NAME@@ without its humanity

[Option 6] "Or we could just install a monarchy," notes the Minister of Foreign Affairs while straightening @@HIS@@ purple jacket. "Many monarchical nations use their royal families as national symbols to rally behind, whether it's during moments of joy, or periods of national hardship. If it works for them, I don't see why it couldn't work for @@NAME@@ too."

[Effect 6] complaining about how much the new royal family costs has united many a @@DEMONYM@@
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Sacara » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:50 pm

Competently written.

However, it is not very unique, in my opinion. We already have a couple of issues whether it lists out different areas where the government should focus their time on. This draft just feels rather forced and generic.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:52 am

Great issue, but it's not like countries choose their own symbols, these things are a result of hundreds or thousands of years of cultural evolution
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:18 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Great issue, but it's not like countries choose their own symbols, these things are a result of hundreds or thousands of years of cultural evolution

Except when they're imposed by a new regime after a revolution... or, perhaps, when the party newly in government via an election is an extremist movement that decides to replace the traditional symbols with its own ones...
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:26 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Great issue, but it's not like countries choose their own symbols, these things are a result of hundreds or thousands of years of cultural evolution

Except when they're imposed by a new regime after a revolution... or, perhaps, when the party newly in government via an election is an extremist movement that decides to replace the traditional symbols with its own ones...

Do you think adding that to the description would strengthen the drafts premise? Perhaps focus it around how to symbolise the party's might in a national symbol? Perhaps that would also address Sacara's comment and help "spice up" the issue draft a bit?

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:51 am

Daarwyrth wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:Except when they're imposed by a new regime after a revolution... or, perhaps, when the party newly in government via an election is an extremist movement that decides to replace the traditional symbols with its own ones...

Do you think adding that to the description would strengthen the drafts premise? Perhaps focus it around how to symbolise the party's might in a national symbol? Perhaps that would also address Sacara's comment and help "spice up" the issue draft a bit?

Well, obviously you can't specify how the current governing party came to power or for how long it has been in power, but an option to use its symbols as the [new] national ones so that people will be more likely to associate the Party [at least subconsciously] with the Nation and thus to support it's remaining it in power? Yes, I think that that could work quite nicely.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:09 am

New draft is up that's basically a rewrite of the issue, with a few hints of the previous draft. How does this one sound? :)

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:13 pm

I'm resuming work on this draft again, so if anyone has new feedback or commentary that would be most appreciated! :)

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:24 am

Any new comments or thoughts? :)
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Umbratellus
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 22, 2021
Tyranny by Majority

Postby Umbratellus » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:15 pm

Well, from first glance, the way you reframed it sets a very authoritarian tone in general, so the lack of a "the symbols are fine as is" option stands out. There should be at least one person criticizing the move to replace the historic symbols with one that exclusively benefits your party; either that, or change the validity to be for autocracies.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:29 pm

Umbratellus wrote:Well, from first glance, the way you reframed it sets a very authoritarian tone in general, so the lack of a "the symbols are fine as is" option stands out. There should be at least one person criticizing the move to replace the historic symbols with one that exclusively benefits your party; either that, or change the validity to be for autocracies.

While I see where you're coming from, I feel that a "they are fine as they are" option would essentially be the dismiss button, so I'm reluctant to add in an option for keeping things as they are. And it doesn't have to be autocratic necessarily. A dominant political party could still enforce such things and remain a democracy. I'll consider what you said tho!
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Umbratellus
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 22, 2021
Tyranny by Majority

Postby Umbratellus » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:33 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:
Umbratellus wrote:Well, from first glance, the way you reframed it sets a very authoritarian tone in general, so the lack of a "the symbols are fine as is" option stands out. There should be at least one person criticizing the move to replace the historic symbols with one that exclusively benefits your party; either that, or change the validity to be for autocracies.

While I see where you're coming from, I feel that a "they are fine as they are" option would essentially be the dismiss button, so I'm reluctant to add in an option for keeping things as they are. I'll consider it tho!

Well, if you wanted to avoid that, go for an option to promote the traditional emblems and your native heritage instead. Could go for either a more culture/artistic route or a more traditionalist/xenophobic bent; either works. Something like "Our existing emblems are beautiful as is, it is only ignorance that hides them from the masses!" or "This is an affront to our heritage that you're trying to force through! Promote the beauty of our old symbols!" That way it adds an option for people who don't want to go for the (kind of corrupt sounding) maintain your power indefinitely option.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:49 pm

Umbratellus wrote:Well, if you wanted to avoid that, go for an option to promote the traditional emblems and your native heritage instead. Could go for either a more culture/artistic route or a more traditionalist/xenophobic bent; either works. Something like "Our existing emblems are beautiful as is, it is only ignorance that hides them from the masses!" or "This is an affront to our heritage that you're trying to force through! Promote the beauty of our old symbols!" That way it adds an option for people who don't want to go for the (kind of corrupt sounding) maintain your power indefinitely option.

Hmm, a heritage focused one doesn't sound too bad, I'll consider it. And it's not about maintaining power indefinitely, but rather ensuring the people will associate the national symbols with the symbols of the party. Because none of these options lead to an Autocracy for example.

While my initial response to "That way it adds an option for people who don't want to go for the (kind of corrupt sounding) maintain your power indefinitely option" is that the dismiss button is exactly for that purpose, namely to keep things as they are. But I'll consider adding something about the national heritage, maybe integrate it with one of the existing options. I'd imagine the military would be about preserving the national identity, so I could perhaps squeeze it in there alongside the military symbols thing.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:52 am

A new draft is up with a few minor changes to the text :)

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:49 am

New thoughts or comments? :)

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Outer Sparta
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Outer Sparta » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:46 pm

You could also have an option 5 alternative for nations that have not banned religion and instead they raise the symbol of the national religion as their party logo.
Free Palestine, stop the genocide in Gaza

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:15 pm

Why isn't there an option of some fuddy duddy traditionalist saying the current old symbols are fine as is? You'd think they'd command at least some veneration if they are the country's national symbols, and this issue feels all the poorer without that acknowledgement.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:08 am

After a long while, I have updated this draft with a new version! The military option has now been moved to the end and speaks of the current national symbols remaining the same. Feedback and commentary are most welcome!

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:07 am

If there are no more comments and feedback, I'll be considering submission sometime soon :)

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:50 am

The issue draft has been submitted. Thank you all for your comments and feedback!

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:22 am

Good Luck!
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?