NATION

PASSWORD

Who is America's greatest president?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

According to you, who was America's greatest President?

George Washington
13%
Thomas Jefferson
1%
James Madison
0%
Abraham Lincoln
23%
Theodore Roosevelt
14%
Franklin D. Roosevelt
21%
Dwight Eisenhower
1%
John F. Kennedy
5%
Ronald Reagan
5%
Other
17%

Total votes : 344

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:46 pm

america has a horrible system of government and no political figures in the american establishment could even be considered "good" as a result. theodore roosevelt was probably the least horrible.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Western Fardelshufflestein
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Fardelshufflestein » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:51 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:That would be President Never Happened. There's a rumor to that effect about President Taft but no.

You have no idea how disappointed i am to find out it never happened.

Ive been lied to.

On the internet.

Something interesting about Taft is that he lost around 40 pounds after he left office and eventually became Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.
The Constitutional Monarchy of Western Fardelshufflestein
Always Has Been. | WF's User Be Like | NSG is Budget Twitter | Yo, Kenneth Branagh won an Oscar
Tiny, Shakespeare-obsessed island nation northeast of NZ settled by HRE emigrants who thought they'd landed in the West Indies. F7 Stuff Mostly Not Canon; RP is in real time; Ignore Stats; Still Not Kenneth Branagh. | A L A S T A I R C E P T I O N
The Western Fardelshufflestein Sentinel | 27 November 2022 bUt wHy iS tHE rUm gOnE!?

Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 10, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby 503 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:24 pm

Page wrote:
Peaceful and Voluntary Exchange wrote:
I like it when leftists try to rebut my arguments with leftist fallacies. But I love it when the left tries to rebut my arguments with nothing but inane retorts and opinion unsupported by a shred of factual and logical foundation.

For example, I find it amusing and contradictory in typical leftist fashion that Reagan's terms are considered "hawkish" when <1,000 US combat deaths occurred while the left's disastrous hero FDR presided over 400,000 US combat deaths in an avoidable war with a foe far less dangerous than the one Reagan encountered and defeated at the start of his term without firing a shot.

Oh, only US combat deaths count? Not the kids in Nicaragua raped and butchered by his Contras. And apparently not the 3000 Americans who died in 9/11 when the chickens of arming jihadis against the Soviets came home to roost.

There are unfortunately people who think the 1 US soldier dying is sadder than 100 schoolchildren getting struck by an American drone.
The brilliance of that day never fades from our memory.
503 imagines a world without pain and suffering, without limits and boundaries, without despair and destruction.

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby 503 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:25 pm

Cekoviu wrote:america has a horrible system of government and no political figures in the american establishment could even be considered "good" as a result. theodore roosevelt was probably the least horrible.

Trump was alright too, he made many interesting accomplishments.
503 imagines a world without pain and suffering, without limits and boundaries, without despair and destruction.

HISPIDA
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 21, 2021
Anarchy

Postby HISPIDA » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:25 pm

The Wishing Machine wrote:
Elwher wrote:
Admittedly, it is all speculation but I suspect that the Japanese would have been content with taking over the Dutch and British territories for the oil and rubber, which were their primary goals, had the US not stopped selling them steel. Germany would have (and did) have their hands full with Russia for years to come without going after the US as well. Eventually, there might have been a confrontation between the Axis and the US if the German/Japanese alliance did not go the same way as the German/Russian one.

German/Russian one was broken by Russia, right?

No. It was broken by Germany on June 22, 1941. Both Germany and the USSR followed stipulations of the pact - the splitting of Poland, the partitions of Romania, the annexation of the Baltic States and parts of Finland - until then.
FUCK ISRAEL FUCK THE GENOCIDE FREE PALESTINE (they/them)
"Genocide, after all, is an exercise in community building." - Philip Gourevitch
NO WAR BUT CLASS WAR
Victory Day: February 23, 2022

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby 503 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:26 pm

Vassenor wrote:
The Wishing Machine wrote:
German/Russian one was broken by Russia, right?

Apparently Russia launched Operation Barbarossa now.

Certain factions are quite fond of rewriting history.

Ayytaly
Minister

Founded: Feb 08, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Ayytaly » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:08 pm

Cekoviu wrote:america has a horrible system of government and no political figures in the american establishment could even be considered "good" as a result. theodore roosevelt was probably the least horrible.

Roosevelt injected the Monroe Doctrine with steroids. His legacy is the resulting numerous CIA-backed coup d'etats in Latin America and installing puppets like Batista and Pinochet.
Signatures are the obnoxious car bumper stickers of the internet. Also, Rojava did nothing right.

Elwher
Powerbroker

Founded: May 24, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:18 am

Punished UMN wrote:
Elwher wrote:
Had the US not imposed trade sanctions on Japan, it is much less likely that they would have attacked us. The only reason Germany declared war on us was their treaty with Japan, so if Japan had not attacked, Germany would not have declared war and no WW II.

Republicans: "We can't appease Iran or China, it's national and strategic suicide!"
Also Republicans: "My God, why didn't Roosevelt just give in to all of Japan's demands, even at the expense of our strategic position and economic interests?! Outrageous!"

First, comparing party [positions now with those of the party 80 years ago leads to amusing, but inaccurate results. Look at the Democratic party on civil rights in 1940 for a prime example of changing positions.

Second, my post was not claiming that it would have been better to have given in, just that it was one way WW II could have been avoided.

Third, I am in no way, shape, or form a Republican.
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

Duvniask
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 30, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Duvniask » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:39 pm

Elwher wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:Republicans: "We can't appease Iran or China, it's national and strategic suicide!"
Also Republicans: "My God, why didn't Roosevelt just give in to all of Japan's demands, even at the expense of our strategic position and economic interests?! Outrageous!"

First, comparing party [positions now with those of the party 80 years ago leads to amusing, but inaccurate results. Look at the Democratic party on civil rights in 1940 for a prime example of changing positions. (...)

He's not necessarily even comparing with the Republican's positions back in the day, since we clearly have people on that side of the aisle who think so today. Peaceful and Voluntary Exchange being the notable example in this thread.
Last edited by Duvniask on Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:45 pm

So you support racists, and imperialists, good to know. You should like Wilson too.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:06 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:

So you support racists, and imperialists, good to know. You should like Wilson too.

i do support racists. not fond of imperialists, but again, i said he was the least horrible, not good by any means or even better than "bad". the only good things he did were environmental — more than nearly any other president, except maybe nixon, and environment is a huge issue of concern for me.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:53 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Whats the name of that one fella that died in a bath tub

That one.

That would be President Never Happened. There's a rumor to that effect about President Taft but no.

I prefer the Carter rabbit attack story :)
The Blaatschapen should resign

Azabimidjan
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 20, 2021
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Azabimidjan » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:58 pm

Probably Abraham Lincoln, he faced the toughest challenge for America and abolished Slavery in the process. Besides him I think George Washington helped shape America in more ways than one. He is my second pick.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:08 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:That would be President Never Happened. There's a rumor to that effect about President Taft but no.

I prefer the Carter rabbit attack story :)

I think that was true, I seem to remember he claimed to see aliens. I think that was in the playboy interview, because you know I read playboy for the .. articles.

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:12 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:So you support racists, and imperialists, good to know. You should like Wilson too.

i do support racists. not fond of imperialists, but again, i said he was the least horrible, not good by any means or even better than "bad". the only good things he did were environmental — more than nearly any other president, except maybe nixon, and environment is a huge issue of concern for me.

TR was a huge imperialist. The great white fleet was his idea. Franklin while a much more subtle racist would not have helped France get back into Indochina in 1945.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General