NATION

PASSWORD

Elephant Chess Cup 1 - Everything Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mertagne
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 24, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Mertagne » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:59 am

From the journal of Saerah Garstern...

Friday
Today I have played 4 wonderfully complex games of chess against 4 wonderfully complex nations. I had a bad morning with a slight hiccup against Raspotochje's Ivan Habijanić, who beat me rather handily. Luckily, I managed to turn myself around by lunchtime and get a win against Aelena Svetrachka of Atheara. She's a bit older than me, but I got the sense that she was in roughly the same position as me on her respective team. Underrated. My game suffered this afternoon, however, and I was unable to get ahead in my games against Cecilia Blossom or Ánýá Klæðskera-gleði. Still, a tie's a tie is a tie, and thanks to my efforts today Mertagne are now top of the table. Still, it wasn't a perfect day. Father called me around lunchtime, not even to check on how I was doing in one of the country's first international tournaments. No, instead he had the gall to ask terrible things like "why are you spending so much of our money" and "is the economy strong in South Newlandia? Certainly looks that way from your purchases". I honestly wish I wasn't a Garstern sometimes. It's not my fault my grandfather lucked into some gas fields out east and made a successful business from it. I'm probably never going to see anything from it (if it gets big enough, it'll get bought, if not, it'll get obsoleted) and if I did, I'd probably split it amongst my brothers anyways. What Father didn't have the ears to hear me say was that I had spent a bit of time yesterday in the markets of Newport picking out nice gifts for the family. They're all in a suitcase under my bed, and I'm half tempted to take Father's wooden horse sculpture I bought him and carve devil horns into it.

I will say that it's certainly nice to get away from Horsehead Island, and from Mertagne in general. There's a freshness about South Newlandia that I've not felt... ever. Everything in Mertagne feels so stuffy, and I've never really felt like I was able to properly relax and just do my own thing. Like tonight, most of the team actually went out to eat, at a lovely restaurant, and we had an amazing chat to get to really know each other a bit better. I learned a lot about my team-mates. The most interesting story in my opinion came from Dr. Yeoman, who spoke about a time he and his friends broke into an abandoned clothes factory in Sallenhass. Apparently, they had a mock fashion show before the corporate police (because they were around back then) showed up and tried to disperse them. Yeoman had dressed up in a bunch of black sacks, and so just curled up into a ball and nobody saw him! His friends thought he'd been arrested, which was HILARIOUS, and he also said that they all came back later and stole some new shoes. Just brilliant! I would have loved to have had that sense of adventure as a teenager, instead of boarding school. Carys said that it's never too late to start, though, and I think she might be right! I think the next time Father calls, I'm going to tell him to shove it. And hopefully also tell him that our team has won the Elephant Chess Cup...
user pronouns: he/him

The Nation of Mertagne - World Wonder Wizard!
Capital: Dannin ⨳ Trigram: MRT ⨳ Demonym: Mertagnian ⨳ Map: Here!Anything Else: Here!
combined a jet engine with fireworksANAIA NATIONAuthor of NS Issue #1508

Bollonich
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 20, 2021
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bollonich » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:06 am

Image @ChessRockerz Clara Josep just lost to South Newlandian Maria Sally in friendly game ahead of the match against Shell Shock Troop Clan.

Image @Hello!Chess In a close game Clara loses out to Maria as she plays the Caro-Kann. Things not looking good for the BAC-GCF team following the draw against Raspotochje.

Image @WilliamLorrence How poetic! We fuck over last two of our games in the ECC and now we face hosts South Newlandia to whom a player of ours has already lost. Wow! Such a great move.

Image @Hello!Chess Check out the new Solve It! Leaderboard
1. Sandra Elephantson (South Newlandia) - 15
2. Melsiende Elzinga (Bollonich) - 12
3. Logan Allen (Eshialand) - 10
4. Teemu Moralez (Maribaya) - 10
5. Timmy Brown (Bollonich) - 9
Meh

South Newlandia
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 18, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby South Newlandia » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:35 am

This is cutoff number four. I've shown a lot of Levy stuff so far, so to compensate, here's Hikaru looking at memes

Match 7 – Saturday, 16:00

Results:
(the team listed first has white on boards two and four)

Shell Shock Troop Clan ½–3½ Mertagne
Dotivija/Srednjaci 1–3 Raspotochje
Bollonich/Græntfjall 2½–1½ South Newlandia
Eshialand 2½–1½ Sannyamathland
Felinetopia 2½–1½ Sylestone
Quemorr Isles 3–1 Arjunnagar
Norrhem 2½–1½ Atheara
New Jacobland 2–2 Quebec and Shingoryeo
Hebitaka 1½–2½ The Grearish Union
Natanians and Nosts 1½–2½ Newolo

Table:
P                          Pld    W   D   L      PF     PA    PD   Pts 
1 Mertagne 7 6 1 0 19 9 +10 13
2 Raspotochje 7 5 2 0 18 10 +8 12
3 Bollonich/Græntfjall 7 4 2 1 16.5 11.5 +5 10
Eshialand 7 5 0 2 16.5 11.5 +5 10
5 Dotivija/Srednjaci 7 3 2 2 15.5 12.5 +3 8
Felinetopia 7 4 0 3 15.5 12.5 +3 8
7 Quemorr Isles 7 3 1 3 14.5 13.5 +1 7
Shell Shock Troop Clan 7 3 1 3 14.5 13.5 +1 7
South Newlandia 7 3 1 3 14.5 13.5 +1 7
10 Norrhem 7 3 1 3 13.5 14.5 −1 7
Sannyamathland 7 3 1 3 13.5 14.5 −1 7
12 Sylestone 7 2 2 3 13 15 −2 6
The Grearish Union 7 3 0 4 13 15 −2 6
14 Arjunnagar 7 3 0 4 12 16 −4 6
15 Newolo 7 2 1 4 13.5 14.5 −1 5
16 New Jacobland 7 2 1 4 13 15 −2 5
17 Atheara 7 2 1 4 12 16 −4 5
18 Quebec and Shingoryeo 7 2 1 4 11 17 −6 5
19 Natanians and Nosts 7 1 2 4 11.5 16.5 −5 4
20 Hebitaka 7 1 0 6 9.5 18.5 −9 2

Match 8 Pairings – Saturday, 18:00

Mertagne - Felinetopia
Raspotochje - Eshialand
Bollonich/Græntfjall - Dotivija/Srednjaci
Quemorr Isles - Shell Shock Troop Clan
South Newlandia - Norrhem
Sannyamathland - The Grearish Union
Sylestone - New Jacobland
Arjunnagar - Hebitaka *this is technically a rematch from MD3, but I only noticed that much later, so I decided to ignore it.
Newolo - Atheara
Quebec and Shingoryeo - Natanians and Nosts

Match 8 – Saturday, 18:00

Results:

Mertagne 3–1 Felinetopia
Raspotochje 2–2 Eshialand
Bollonich/Græntfjall 2½–1½ Dotivija/Srednjaci
Quemorr Isles 1½–2½ Shell Shock Troop Clan
South Newlandia 2½–1½ Norrhem
Sannyamathland 2½–1½ The Grearish Union
Sylestone 2–2 New Jacobland
Arjunnagar 2½–1½ Hebitaka
Newolo 1½–2½ Atheara
Quebec and Shingoryeo 3–1 Natanians and Nosts

Table:
1 Mertagne 8 7 1 0 22 10 +12 15
2 Raspotochje 8 5 3 0 20 12 +8 13
3 Bollonich/Græntfjall 8 5 2 1 19 13 +6 12
4 Eshialand 8 5 1 2 18.5 13.5 +5 11
5 Shell Shock Troop Clan 8 4 1 3 17 15 +2 9
South Newlandia 8 4 1 3 17 15 +2 9
7 Sannyamathland 8 4 1 3 16 16 0 9
8 Dotivija/Srednjaci 8 3 2 3 17 15 +2 8
9 Felinetopia 8 4 0 4 16.5 15.5 +1 8
10 Arjunnagar 8 4 0 4 14.5 17.5 −3 8
11 Quemorr Isles 8 3 1 4 16 16 0 7
12 Norrhem 8 3 1 4 15 17 −2 7
Sylestone 8 2 3 3 15 17 −2 7
14 Atheara 8 3 1 4 14.5 17.5 −3 7
15 Quebec and Shingoryeo 8 3 1 4 14 18 −4 7
16 New Jacobland 8 2 2 4 15 17 −2 6
17 The Grearish Union 8 3 0 5 14.5 17.5 −3 6
18 Newolo 8 2 1 5 15 17 −2 5
19 Natanians and Nosts 8 1 2 5 12.5 19.5 −7 4
20 Hebitaka 8 1 0 7 11 21 −10 2

Mertagne is guaranteed to play in the final, while the three teams in green have chances left to be the other finalist. All teams up to Quebec and Shingoryeo still have at least theoretical chances to play in a placement game.

Match 9 Pairings – Sunday, 13:00

Mertagne - Sannyamathland
Shell Shock Troop Clan - Raspotochje
Arjunnagar - Bollonich/Græntfjall
Eshialand - Dotivija/Srednjaci
South Newlandia - Felinetopia
Quemorr Isles - Sylestone
Norrhem - New Jacobland
Hebitaka - Atheara
Quebec and Shingoryeo - Newolo
The Grearish Union - Natanians and Nosts
Last edited by South Newlandia on Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Eshialand
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 03, 2017
Anarchy

Postby Eshialand » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:26 pm

Promotion
Eshialand 2½-1½ Sannyamathland
Raspotochje 2-2 Eshialand

Date: Saturday, December 4th, 2021
Time: 2:34 PM

"So, where are we going Mr. Herrefur?"
"You'll find out soon enough..."
"You realize that if you try anything against me, that could be considered high treason?"
"I know that King William, but trust me, everything is going to turn out OK."
"What even is on that clipboard by the--"
"You will find out soon enough. For now, we have to get to the Ivory Crown Hotel."
"Wait, why?"
"Trust me, everything is going to make sense soon enough."

The pair arrive at the hotel where the tournament is being held, and Lazlo explains the situation to the receptionist so he and the king can get up to his hotel room.

"Okay, here we are." Lazlo says, as he opens the door to his hotel room.
"Wait, are these..."
"Party supplies? Yes, yes they are."
"Wait, why..."
"I wanted to show the team who much I care for them and appreciate everything they've been able to do. Believe it or not William, I am not a heartless monster."
"So why did you..."
"I need help setting up the party. I'll have them arrive here after their 6 o'clock match, and even though I have over three hours before the party, I figured I could still use an extra set of hands."
"So why me and not..."
"Wouldn't it be great if the team gets to their surprise party and the king himself is there to greet them?"
"Well... I guess... uh..."
"Here, I'll start preparing the hors d'oeuvres, why don't you wrap the gifts?"

That evening...

"Ughh... I didn't realize how much of a pain Habijanić was gonna be..." Jason said as the team started walking out of the hotel to eat dinner.
"I know, I can't believe I drew against Grnelić..." Alan replied.
"Oh, excuse me, are you the Eshian team?" the receptionist asked as the team walked by.
"Sometimes I wish we weren't, but yes." Stephanie answered.
"Shut up, you're happy to be our teammate and you know it!" Mary replied, before asking the receptionist "Why are you asking?"
"Well, someone asked for you to go back to your rooms."
"Wait, why?" Jason asked.
"I don't know, just go up and find out."
"Ummm... okay?"

The team went back to their rooms, only for Lazlo to open the door to his room and yell "SURPRISE!"
"Wait, what?" the team replied in unison.
"I'm so proud of you for making this tournament so special, so I just had to throw you a party!"
"Wait, is that the 'work' you were doing?" Mary asked.
"Yes."
"And the clipboard...?" Jason continued.
"Also yes."
"And is that the king over there or am I hallucinating?"
"You aren't hallucinating!" William yells back. "Now let's party!"

Eshialand 2½-1½ Sannyamathland
REDACTED 0-1 Severn
Nerata 0
-1 REDACTED
REDACTED ½-½ Blaine
Jacobson 1-0 REDACTED

Severn 0-1 Habijanić
Vukorepac ½-½ Nerata
Blaine ½
-½ Grnelić

Kninsky 0-1 Jacobson
Anything I say is IC unless proven otherwise by a court of law.

(he/him/any/all)

Raspotochje
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 05, 2021

Postby Raspotochje » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:40 am

RASPOTOCHJEAN CHESS FEDERATION WEB SITE

Matchday 7
COMFORTABLE WIN AGAINST DOTIVIJA/SREDNJACI

Raspotochje 3-1 Dotivija/Srednjaci
Habijanić-Paradžik 1:0
Mužinić - Vukorepac -0:1
Grnelić - Tabak 0:1
Ivezić - Kninsky - 0:1

IVAN HABIJANIĆ vs DANIJEL PARADŽIK In the fourth meeting betwen those two players, Ivan Habijanić celebrated for the third time against the best player from Srednjaci. Although we expected a tough fight between these two big players, it didn’t happen. Unfortunately for the spectators, but fortunately for us, Paradžik did not have a single quality attack on Habijanić. Dotivija and Srednjanci hoped for a draw in this match, but they were not close to that scenario. Habijanic prepared excellently for this match and deservedly celebrated in the 41st move.

"It’s always hard when you’re playing against a friend. This is our fourth meeting in big competitions. We have known each other for a very long time and we already know how the other one plays and thinks. I expected a longer match, but it turned out like this. I feel good and this is a very important victory. "said Habijanic

EDITA VUKOREPAC did not have any big surprises against the champions from Dotivi. Mužinić was not at the level he was a few months ago when he had a draw against Vukorepac at the "Kristalna Ploča" tournament. this time Vukorepac celebrates in their third meeting. From start to finish, Edita took the lead on the board. She was confident and confident. Tin Mužinić was in a subordinate and defensive position and could not reach the air at any time. It's all over after the 38th move.

" I expected a bigger and stronger party from Tin. I was ready for anything because I know how well he knows how to play. I stayed focused from start to finish. I am glad that I won and that everything is going according to plan. "Edita said

TOMISLAV GRNELIĆhe failed to surprise Jelena Tabak. Tabak brought the only point to the Dotivija / Srednjaci team. Although the match was very good and even at the beginning, Jelan managed to win. The match was tied until the 38th move. Then Jelena gained the upper hand, a false withdrawal pulled Grnelić forward and he recklessly lost several important figures. Bezo had to consolidate his game and adapt to the situation. He tried to get half a point but Jelena did not allow it. Victory in the 48th move.

"Unfortunately, I paid tribute to inexperience. Jelena played great, she pulled me on thin ice. I wasn’t focused enough at all but I thought the opportunity opened up to me but it was a hoax. I hope I play better." Said Tomislav

DARJAN KNINSKY managed to bring a convincing victory to Raspotochje. He defeated Dinara Ivezić from Dotivi on the fourth board and thus managed to justify the invitation to the national team. It wasn’t a particularly nice match but both players played a good game.

" I am very happy because I manage to raise my level of play. I didn't make mistakes like in the previous matches and I'm glad about that." said Darjan

Matchday 8
DRAW WITH ESHIALAND

Severn 0-1 Habijanić
Vukorepac ½-½ Nerata
Blaine ½-½ Grnelić
Kninsky 0-1 Jacobson

Eshialand is an extremely difficult opponent. Our chess players had the advantage but on the fourth board Eshialand came to a point.

IVAN HABIJANIĆ managed to beat Eshialand's best player. Jason Severn is a young player and showed great knowledge in the match. He opened with Ruy Lopez. Habijanić rarely plays against a player who has an opening Ruy Lopez. However, Habijanic showed his greatness and did not allow himself to be accommodated. He is an experienced player on the international scene.

"Jason is a young and potent player. He plays nice even though he plays aggressively but he plays nice. He has a beautiful chess school and I believe he will create a chess map of the world in the near future. The most important thing for us is that I won. But I also believe that we will make it to the final tournament, which I am really looking forward to. "

VUKOREPAC VS NERATA

Mertagne has now gone two points ahead. We are second for now and another challenging match and opponent awaits us and that is the Shell Shock Troop Clan.

1 Mertagne 8 7 1 0 22 10 +12 15
2 Raspotochje 8 5 3 0 20 12 +8 13
3 Bollonich/Græntfjall 8 5 2 1 19 13 +6 12
4 Eshialand 8 5 1 2 18.5 13.5 +5 11
5 Shell Shock Troop Clan 8 4 1 3 17 15 +2 9
South Newlandia 8 4 1 3 17 15 +2 9
7 Sannyamathland 8 4 1 3 16 16 0 9
8 Dotivija/Srednjaci 8 3 2 3 17 15 +2 8
9 Felinetopia 8 4 0 4 16.5 15.5 +1 8
10 Arjunnagar 8 4 0 4 14.5 17.5 −3 8
11 Quemorr Isles 8 3 1 4 16 16 0 7
12 Norrhem 8 3 1 4 15 17 −2 7
Sylestone 8 2 3 3 15 17 −2 7
14 Atheara 8 3 1 4 14.5 17.5 −3 7
15 Quebec and Shingoryeo 8 3 1 4 14 18 −4 7
16 New Jacobland 8 2 2 4 15 17 −2 6
17 The Grearish Union 8 3 0 5 14.5 17.5 −3 6
18 Newolo 8 2 1 5 15 17 −2 5
19 Natanians and Nosts 8 1 2 5 12.5 19.5 −7 4
20 Hebitaka 8 1 0 7 11 21 −10 2

Shell Shock Troop Clan
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Shell Shock Troop Clan » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:37 am

The first match had been difficult, with only Merino's draw against the venerable Yeoman salvaging half a point--out of four, not one. But Shell Shock Troop Clan were still in one piece, and it was Josefina's task to get them to focus. "All right," she said. "The Fishies might be somewhat of a distraction, but focus and play your own game--"

"Have they played the Felines yet?" Ginés asked.

Josefina had to take a look at the scores for that one; after seven rounds, the odds were pretty decent. "Nope. But they just beat Arjunnagar which means they're teid with us and the hosts for seventh--"

"Oh," Ginés interrupted. "Because I was gonna say, it would be pretty bad if the cats tried to eat the fish."

"Let's leave the security to the hosts."

"Do they play in the pool?"

"I mean, I assume when the matches are done they can play wherever they like--"

"No, no. Do we have to go down to the poolside to face them? Because I don't want them to suffocate, but I also think it's a little unfair if we'd be isolated from the rest of the tournament like that."

"I...would assume they'll be in the ballroom like everyone else, unless we hear otherwise," said Josefina.

This was why she was there, she reminded herself. International sports wasn't always about camaraderie and competition and showcasing the best of your ability, physically or mentally. Sometimes it was about making sure people didn't bring enormous swords into the hotel, or get mauled by sentient lynx. At least she had a relatively democratic society to represent; it could have been worse.

Once the seating arrangements were confirmed, the Azamon Pink Dolphin turned out to be a very strong player, easily forcing Chavela into a time loss. The Prawn, in contrast, was almost too methodical for its own good; it advanced pawns slowly, whereas Omar was content to wait until later in the game to develop, allowing the Prawn a couple en passant trades. With pawns off the board and unable to promote, they agreed that the position was likely a draw. Ginés and Alexis, for their part, were able to defeat the Hammerhead Shark and the Dugong respectively.

"I feel like their fourth board is the best," Alexis complained. "Shouldn't they have to put it on the first board? To be sporting?"

"Who cares about being sporting," Ginés said. "They're literal fish! At least this'll be fun for the stream. Haha, fish, stream, get it?"

Josefina sighed. "Game nine is at 1 pm tomorrow. Don't stay up too late."

"That's considerate of them," said Alexis. "Should be time to get to a worship service if there are any in the area."

Before Ginés could crack wise, Omar interrupted. "Speak for yourself. I'm gonna fit in some mini-golf."
Sé que se oye egocentrista
Pero lo digo sin maldad
Si nada de esto significara algo
No habría un Clemente

--"El Wanabi", Fiel A La Vega

Mertagne
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Mertagne » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:44 am

From the phone call of █████████████...

... but it's just been hard, you know? It's not like I've necessarily had time to scout the place. I've been involved in chess matches for two days, for crying out loud! You should have seen us, though - we've secured a place in the final with a game in hand.

That's fantastic, and I get that you truly love chess, but it won't pay the bills forever, will it? Like, you'll fall out of relevance at some point.

I've done rather well with chess for the time being. You know I'm only involved in this "angle" of yours because I have to be.

It was the best way to settle their debts. They certainly weren't going to do anything about it.

We live under a different time now. The new government will surely catch up to you sooner rather than later.

They can certainly try. They're too new to have any teeth. And while I appreciate your candour, I'd urge you to be more polite when speaking to your handler.

Fine. Look, I'll look tonight. It's a Saturday, and people will be out celebrating. I'll spend some time away from the team and look for it. You're certain it's in this hotel?

We're certain. It most assuredly came with the party from Quebec and Shingoryeo. If not one of their competitors, one of their fans. And you remember what you're looking for?

When I see it, I know I'll know - it is rather shiny, after all.

And probably one of the most valuable rubies this side of the Salmantic. By the way, you'd be silly to try and sell it on your own. A gem that precious is sure to be noticed on the black markets. We already have a buyer lined up, so return it to us or you're wasting your time.

And hurting your parents in the process.

I... I know. Look, I've said I'd do it, so I'll do it. I'm sure I can get access to the right room if I just talk up some of the staff.

Excellent work. Contact us when you have it. We'll be waiting, and no funny business, Carys.

From the "journal" of Arnado Kreene...

Well, pluck my feathers and call me a crow. This is the last thing I was expecting to find here at the Elephant Chess Cup. I was under the impression this would be a cushy assignment, to be honest - maybe pick up some nice intel on some high-profile people here at the tournament, maybe learn a bit more about the King of Eshialand, William, see if I can get my hands on that sword from Norrhem, or possibly see what's going on with those Grearish hackers. This, however, is a bit more pressing. The male voice identified in the audio of the call appears to match, after rudimentary vocal analysis, crime boss Zheska Curt. Curt has historically been active in and around New Fligsive, taking advantage of the downturn during the Insulation to build an organised crime empire. It seems he has Burgess - or Burgess's parents - held in some sort of debt trap, which Carys has taken it upon herself to relieve. We have the possibility to take down a large amount of organised crime, here - I'm going to try and reach out to Burgess and see if she can help us set up a sting.

My plan is as follows: apprehend Burgess as she's in the process of scouting the location of the jewel (which appears to belong to a wealthy nobleperson from Quebec and Shingoryeo), under my current identity as a chess team administrator, and ask around what she's up to. Push further until she cracks and tells me. At this point, I'll offer to help her, as I know her story about how she grew up rather impoverished. Hopefully she'll agree and together we can investigate. If we find the jewel, I'll intervene and state my true purpose. If we don't, we can track her and see if she meets up with Curt at the conclusion of the tournament.

But first, I have to wonder how I'm going to approach her with this without immediately blowing my cover...

Capital: Dannin ⨳ Trigram: MRT ⨳ Demonym: Mertagnian ⨳ Map: Here!Anything Else: Here!

Graintfjall
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Graintfjall » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:59 am

Joint chess team “important first move” in reopening relations with Bollonich

Græntfjall and Bollonich should pursue a reopening of formal relations following decades of international animosity, says Prime Minister Zóphonías Juliusson. The two nations, who have been competing as part of a joint team at the Elephant Challenge Cup in South Newlandia, spent much of the twentieth century locked in a bitter cold war, with Bollonich’s ruling Liberal Party refusing to recognize Græntfjall’s communist regime, and despite the many years since Liberation, the ice has taken a long time to thaw. But collaboration in chess is a “good opening” according to Juliusson. “Chess matches can start with some little pieces, but soon the big pieces are out on the board,” he said, straining the metaphor to near breaking point.

Juliusson is yet to announce a comprehensive foreign policy, with foreign affairs being the area of biggest difference between his Left-slate party and their coalition partners, Progressive Liberals. The latter’s leader, Kaija Michaelsdóttir, is a favorite to be named as Foreign Minister, but the two differ on many issues, from trade and intervention, in nations as diverse as Jabal Akhdar and Ha’Yarok. Nonetheless, there is broad consensus on normalizing relations with Bollonich, and the reopening of embassies and an exchange of ambassadors could follow the experiment with a joint chess team.

“I think this is a strong example of the soft power of sports,” says international relations expert Þórgunnur Konstantínusardóttir of the Haircut Institute. “What looks to be just a friendly little collaboration between some chess players could end up leading to the two countries getting back around the negotiating table over consular access, visa recognition, maybe even trade deals.” Backbench Blue-Green MT Vikar Sigurlásarson agrees that Juliusson has “an opportunity for something that’ll win support across the Thing” but should “take things slow”. “I think everyone will support a normalization of relations with Bollonich,” he says, “But things like trade deals or environmental pacts have the potential to get much trickier.”

Also in the paper:
  • NEWS: Blue-Greens deny that welfare reform proposal is just “Nova Anglicana’s with the names crossed out”
  • BUSINESS: Share sell-off continues as rumors swirl over new Finance Minister
  • SOCIETY: Princess Jessika keen to see active duty in Navy service
  • SCIENCE: “Everything absolutely cool and normal” says profusely sweating astronomer
  • SPORT: Oh fuck it’s the IFCF deadline
Solo: IBC30, WCoH42, HWC25, U18WC16, CoH85, WJHC20
Co-host: CR36, BoF74, CoH80, BoF77, WC91
Champions: BoF73, CoH80, U18WC15, DBC52, WC91, CR41, VWE15, HWC27, EC15
Co-champions of the first and second Elephant Chess Cups with Bollonich
Runners-up: DBC49, EC10, HWC25, CR42
The White Winter Queendom of Græntfjall

Bollonich
Diplomat

Postby Bollonich » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:21 am

Image @Hello!Chess All we need is a win and Raspotochje to drop points. And all we can do then is hope that we can get a better points difference than them.

Image @JulioLuisana Ah, let’s start preparing for our third place game against Eshialand and watch Mertagne lift the trophy.

Image @Chesslover69 Take that, South Newlandians. I knew that Clara didn’t play at her best. Time to get to final and thrash Mertagne.

Image @VretonCityJournal Græntfjaller Prime Minister’s comments hopeful towards reopening relations between the two nations as we go into the final day of the Elephant Chess Cup.

Image @Hello!Chess Check out our new problem and leaderboard down below

1. Sandra Elephantson (South Newlandia) - 20
2. Melsiende Elzinga (Bollonich) - 17
3. Logan Allen (Eshialand) - 14
4. Teemu Moralez (Maribaya) - 13
5. Timmy Brown (Bollonich) - 10
Meh

South Newlandia
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby South Newlandia » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:04 pm

This is the Match 9 cutoff, the last one for twelve teams. Here's someone guessing the ratings of people, a must for all fans of incomprehensible noisemaking.

Match 9 – Sunday, 13:00

Results:

Mertagne 3–1 Sannyamathland
Shell Shock Troop Clan 2½–1½ Raspotochje
Arjunnagar 1½–2½ Bollonich/Græntfjall
Eshialand 1–3 Dotivija/Srednjaci
South Newlandia 1–3 Felinetopia
Quemorr Isles 1½–2½ Sylestone
Norrhem 2½–1½ New Jacobland
Hebitaka ½–3½ Atheara
Quebec and Shingoryeo 2–2 Newolo
The Grearish Union 1–3 Natanians and Nosts

Table:
P                          Pld    W   D   L      PF     PA   PD   Pts 
1 Mertagne 9 8 1 0 25 11 +14 17
2 Bollonich/Græntfjall 9 6 2 1 21.5 14.5 +7 14
3 Raspotochje 9 5 3 1 21.5 14.5 +7 13
4 Eshialand 9 5 1 3 19.5 16.5 +3 11 *tie broken by H2H result (M4)
5 Shell Shock Troop Clan 9 5 1 3 19.5 16.5 +3 11
6 Dotivija/Srednjaci 9 4 2 3 20 16 +4 10
7 Felinetopia 9 5 0 4 19.5 16.5 +3 10
8 South Newlandia 9 4 1 4 18 18 0 9 *tie broken by Buchholz points (89-76)
9 Atheara 9 4 1 4 18 18 0 9
10 Norrhem 9 4 1 4 17.5 18.5 −1 9 *even H2H (MD6), tie broken by Buchholz points (82-75)
11 Sylestone 9 3 3 3 17.5 18.5 −1 9
12 Sannyamathland 9 4 1 4 17 19 −2 9
13 Arjunnagar 9 4 0 5 16 20 −4 8 *tie broken by H2H result (M4)
14 Quebec and Shingoryeo 9 3 2 4 16 20 −4 8
15 Quemorr Isles 9 3 1 5 17.5 18.5 −1 7
16 Newolo 9 2 2 5 17 19 −2 6
17 New Jacobland 9 2 2 5 16.5 19.5 −3 6
18 Natanians and Nosts 9 2 2 5 15.5 20.5 −5 6 *tie broken by H2H result (M9)
19 The Grearish Union 9 3 0 6 15.5 20.5 −5 6
20 Hebitaka 9 1 0 8 11.5 24.5 −13 2

Match 10 Pairings – Sunday, 16:00

FINAL: Mertagne - Bollonich/Græntfjall

3rd-place: Raspotochje - Eshialand

5th-place: Shell Shock Troop Clan - Dotivija/Srednjaci

7th-place: Felinetopia - South Newlandia

for all of the above, the team listed first will win the matchup in the event of a 2-2 tie.
Last edited by South Newlandia on Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eshialand
Diplomat

Anarchy

Postby Eshialand » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:14 pm

Resignation
Eshialand 1-3 Dotivija/Srednjaci

Date: Sunday, December 5th, 2021
Time: 1:43 PM
Location: Inside the Ivory Crown Hotel, Newport, South Newlandia

"Well, that's it, right? It's all over."
"No Mary, no it isn't." Jason reassured her. "There's still going to be the third place playoff."

Losing to the Dotivija/Srednjaci team felt less like a possibility and more like an inevitability, even before the first moves of the match were played. However, it still weighed heavily on the team, as it officially extinguished their hopes of Elephant Chess Cup glory.

"Look on the bright side," Alan said, "we're at least guaranteed fourth."
"Fourth is nothing in a tournament with only twenty teams," Stephanie replied, "we deserved at least second."
"No, it isn't nothing!" Jason yelled. "We've done a dang good job here, and even you have to recognize that! Sure, we weren't perfect, but our tournament was one of the best we could've hoped for!"
"We absolutely collapsed yesterday, there's no denying that."
"I'm tired of that attitude! You have to recognize that no matter what, we did a good job!"
"He's right you know..." Lazlo said, "you've done an amazing job, and I'm really proud of you. Why do you think I threw that party for you last night?"
"Well I'm not pr--"
"That's it, I've had quite enough of you!!" Lazlo snapped back. "How'd you like it if I took on Kninsky for you in the next match? You may not have been perfect, but I'm sure happy with how you did. I was going to send you to more tournaments in the future, but maybe I won't now. I only send people to tournaments who are willing to appreciate the opportunities they've been given, no matter the result!"
"Uh... sorry sir..."
"That's okay Stephanie, just remember one thing. No matter what, the only victory is having fun. Nothing else matters but love of the game."

Stephanie takes a deep breath before replying, "right, love of the game is all that matters."

"Now, how about we all get lunch?" Mr. Herrefur asks.
"Sure!" Jason answers. "One last lunch before the end of the tournament."

Paradžik 1-0 Severn
Nerata 0
-1 Tabak
Ivezić ½-½ Blaine
Jacobson ½
-½ Mužinić

(he/him/any/all)

Shell Shock Troop Clan
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Shell Shock Troop Clan » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:24 pm

"Hello again, it's me, Ginés, just saying hello before we head down for round 9 against Raspoto...chje, not sure about the pronunciation there, sorry about that. Um, I've got a couple questions from viewers, thank you for sending those in. Someone wants to know have we been recognized if we go outside--honestly, I haven't really been outside, I'm just enjoying the luxury here. And obviously everyone here is part of the event so there isn't a question of how famous you are. As to how that compares to back home? It's hard to say. I think someone like Omar or Alexis would not be recognized in a crowd. But me--okay, stop laughing, come on--I'm not saying that I'm better than Omar at chess, it would be cool if I was, but clearly I am not seeing as how he is the first board. But just because he's a chess player doesn't mean he's a household name. Me, though, I'm not just a chess player, I'm trying to use this whole video channel thing to get on people's radar. So yeah, I think there's a small chance some people would recognize me. Is that selfish? Maybe, but everybody's gotta hustle, you know? It's a free world--parts of it--you just gotta make the most of it. Whatever.

Another question: Raspoto...our opponents have done some cool things teaching kids to study chess in school, is that popular in the Shell Shock Troop Clan? Hahahaha no. I mean sure, there's probably some weird private school down in the Supercentro where everyone's really into chess. But as a standard curriculum thing? No. Things are maybe more...organized than they used to be in terms of having education and occasional ideas about curricula and not thinking that literacy is all subversive or whatever. But in terms of priority, chess is extremely far down on the list.

Do you have a separate women's circuit? We do not. There are various cultural reasons why women might have been less encouraged to go into sports, even mind sports, but still have had the opportunity even if they're less than half of the serious chess players. But in terms of, is anyone in charge going to be like, 'we should have separate competitions and designations for women'? Nope, they don't care. Chavela's a strong player, of course--if you're just tuning in for the ECC you might not realize that she's stronger in classical time controls. I'd have her on someday to analyze a game but I think she's kind of camera shy.

This guy wants to know, what is my 'actual' rating? Actual as opposed to what? I can tell you my score on these websites, but this is the first time I've physically been outside the country for a tournament so I don't have a lot of experience playing against professionals from other leagues.

Okay and a follow-up, am I allowed to leave the country at all? Like for travel? Sure, we're not tyrants.

Here we go, do I have to stick around even if I'm not playing for the championship? Dude, sure, it's not even a 'have to'! I like it here, I hope we come top eight so we can have some more chances to show off and compete. Definitely.

Are you going to play 2. Ke2 again? Wow, you guys are never going to let me live that down, are you. Um...probably not, but obviously I can't just tell you what tactics I'm gonna use, that would defeat the purpose.

Okay, signing off, hope you tune in soon for ninth round analysis!"

(First three boards are draws; Chavela defeats Darjan Kninsky on fourth board for the match point.)
Pero lo digo sin maldad
No habría un Clemente

Srednjaci
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 02, 2021
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Srednjaci » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:03 am

DOTIVIJA/SREDNJACI FOR THE FIFTH PLACE

ANA BAKOVIĆ :An excellent match was played by Dotivia / Srednjaci chess players against Eshialand. Although it was a convincing 3: 1 victory, Dotivija / Srednjaci will have to face the fight only for the fifth place. For a long time our team was fighting for the top three positions but a few bad results pushed us into the fight for only fifth place.

Paradžik 1-0 Severn
Nerata 0-1 Tabak
Ivezić ½-½ Blaine
Jacobson ½-½ Mužinić

Once again, the players from Dotivija proved to be the weak point of this team. The chess players from Srednjaci were still at the top level as during this tournament.
Danijel Paradžik and Jelena Tabak achieved victories, while Dinara Ivezić and Tin Mužinić from Dotivija reached half a point.
Although Dinara Ivezić and especially Tin Mužinić show that they are playing better and better, we hope that there will be victories in the fight for fifth place.

5th-place: Shell Shock Troop Clan - Dotivija/Srednjaci

" A difficult match awaits us. They defeated Raspotochje and managed to inflict their first and only defeat and that is a truly commendable result. We expected the opposite situation. However, we have to repeat a match like this against Eshialand. "Said Daniel Paradžik

"I didn't expect them to beat Raspotochje. That win is already a red alarm light. It's an obviously good team and all options will be open at the moment." said Jelena Tabak

Thank you all. That is all for now.

Mertagne
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Mertagne » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:18 am

From the "journal" of Arnado Kreene...

I found Burgess as she was about to enter the elevator. We entered at the same time and I pushed the button to keep the door closed.
"Practicing hard for the final day of chess tomorrow?" I asked.
"Yes, absolutely, you know we're definitely in the final, but it'd be nice to go through with a lossless record!" she replied, starting to tense up a little.
I didn't let go of the close button. "Where are you headed now?" I pried further.
"Well, everyone else seems to have gone out, so I was going to sit by the pool for a bit. The water calms me down." she said.
"I find that too. It's quite mesmerising - like the brightness of a jewel, or something."
"Or something, yes." She wrung her hands, and I allowed the elevator to descend. We hit the ground floor and I made an excuse to leave her alone. I sat in the lobby, picked up some random glossy travel magazine, and began to track Burgess' plan of action. If she proved incapable of stealing that gem, I was considering taking matters into my own hands and taking it for myself. Not that I knew where it was, of course. Had she done some digging of her own?

I decided to persue that line of thinking, and slunk up to Burgess's room. Picking the lock was easy (always is with key cards) and before long I was rifling through desk drawers and bedside tables to see if Carys had indeed done any research. Much to my surprise, I found two things of note: the first was the floor plans for the entire hotel. They would have seriously come in handy at the start of my mission. The second was the fact that I wasn't actually alone in my search for incriminating items. I'd failed to look at the balcony while I was performing my search, especially at the fact that a person, dressed in all black with a balaclava on, was scaling it, and had just climbed into the balcony part that connected to Burgess's room.

I froze, like a stag in headlights, before diving across the room behind a sofa. Had this person seen me? Who were they? All of these questions raced through my mind as I tried to piece together the situation. The masked figure opened the balcony door and slipped into the room. It appears as if they hadn't seen me, as I crawled along the floor into the bathroom and tried to silently lock the door. Grabbing a glass and putting it to the wall, I tried to make out if they were communicating anything, but they moved with a stealth that matched my many years of training. What did they want? Did they want what I wanted, what I'd just stolen? I hoped not as I clutched the plans closer to my chest.

Either way, this meant that Burgess was in direct danger, and as a Mertagnian citizen, she came within my remit for protection. I waited until I thought the masked figure had left the room, and darted out the bathroom into the hall I'd come from. Luckily, I wasn't seen, and I returned to the lobby to see if I could find Burgess and inform her of her fate. Unfortunately, she wasn't there, so I decided to wait in my own room (which was opposite), and look through the peephole until she returned.

Hours passed. I spent the time reading a book with one eye and looking through the peephole with the other. She didn't return. It must have been about 01:00 by the time I decided to do something about it. Above all else, she had a chess game to play.

Accessing her room again, I entered into a scene of chaos. Papers, chessboards, even a cheese board, strewn everywhere. Had someone come back in to get something else they needed? There were most certainly signs of a struggle of sorts. What bigger conspiracy had I entered? I made my way to the balcony and looked over the side into the distance. The lovely ocean view of Newport was immaculate, except for a length of cord that draped its way up the building. Looking up, I could see in the distance on the top floor of the hotel a small pair of legs, attempting to make their way up to the roof. What was going on the roof? Acting fast, I gave the cord a hard yank before running back into the corridor and taking the stairs up.

Handler, I wasn't prepared for the scenes that I saw on the roof of the Ivory Crown. Hurredly dashing up the stairs, I was met with an open access door to the roof. And on the roof, was a weary looking Carys Burgess, stood at a stalemate with a single masked figure, who was leaning over the roof looking towards the ocean with a shocked look on his face. In my quick thinking, I had hooked one of Burgess's assailants down from the roof, and this second masked figure had dropped off the roof, possibly into he pool below. The shock appeared to last a minute or two, and Burgess had taken the time to move across the roof, where she now stood, with a weapon, pointed at the masked assailant. I assume she disarmed this masked figure to retrieve this weapon, a harpoon gun, and was shaking as she aimed it at the figure. I was unarmed, and upon entering the roof, I believe shock got the better of Burgess and the harpoon gun fired out of her hands and directly towards the masked assailant.

It took all my strength to ensure the figure, revealed to be a man, didn't tumble down and meet the same vertical fate as his co-conspirator. The harpoon, however, had done its job and killed the man on impact. I couldn't play the fool any longer at this point, and for Burgess's protection, I told her the following:

"Don't worry. It's okay. You're okay. I know why they're after you and I'm here to help."
"What do you mean? I've just - he's just..."
"I'm with the MIA. Here's my identification. Just calm down, we're going to sort this mess that's happened."
"The MIA? You're a spy?"
"In fewer words, yes. I didn't come here for you, but it seems that you've become entangled in my mission. Do you know who your assailants are?"
"If I had to guess, they're Zheska Curt's people - here to make sure I finish my own mission."
"Interesting. Carys, does that mean the gem handoff is going to happen here in South Newlandia?"
"I don't know, Arnado - if that is your real name."
"It's certainly what you can call me. Tell me - do you have the gem?"
"No. It's down in the basement, in a safety deposit complex. I'm a chess player, not a safe cracker."
"That's no matter - I have an idea on how to possibly goad Curt's people into accepting a substitute. But I'll need to sort that tomorrow morning. For now, could you please give me a hand with this?"

Sunday morning rolled around faster than I had hoped. I needed Burgess on the chess board as not to arouse suspicion, but I knew that if the other of Curt's people had survived, they'd know that something was up. It took all of my effort to covertly drag the body, wrapped in one of the hotel rugs, across the city to that fateful box of limes that had served as my dead drop several days prior. The stench of rotting limes served to cover the body rather well, but it was about 5am by the time I returned to the Ivory Crown. I looked terrible, so I showered, slept, and woke up at around 11am. Just enough time to request a car down to a nearby Jeweller's. I figured that any gem of considerable size would serve as a replacement at a glance, and was luckily able to pick up a glass gem set into an ornate faux gold necklace. That would do perfectly.

I cornered Burgess at about 15:00, as she was busy playing the penultimate chess game before the final. I told her to wear the necklace, as anyone crawling about to receive it wouldn't date interrupt an international sports final to get it. If they did, they'd be done by the Crown's security faster than anything. There were literal monarchs in the audience, after all. It was actually the most secure place to store something.

I'm reporting this just before the final begins. Mertagne are set to play against the united team from Bollonich and Græntfjall, a formidable opponent that has had an impressive record in the tournament. We've managed to beat them once before, but it was by a very slim margin, with old man Yanns taking home the victory for the team. I hope beyond hope that Burgess doesn't crash out too early - I think she'll be playing for time more than a win in this round. The whole team has their merits, including that annoying Tikdannin, and I sit here waiting for the game to begin wishing them the best of luck. This is a round I'm actually going to have to pay attention to, after all...

Graintfjall
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Graintfjall » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:45 am

First action of new Foreign Minister: attending a chess match

Kaija Michaelsdóttir, leader of the Progressive Liberals, has been named Foreign Minister following weeks of coalition negotiations. The announcement came with Michaelsdóttir visiting South Newlandia to watch the final of the Elephant Chess Cup, in which a joint Bollonich–Græntfjall team will be competing against Mertagne. It makes Michaelsdóttir the first person to serve as Foreign Minister under two Prime Ministers from different parties: she briefly served in the role under David Austmannsson’s Blue-Green coalition government, and has also previously been Culture Minister under a prior government led by returning Prime Minister, Zóphonías Juliusson.

While not a large surprise given her credentials and her party’s powerful position – despite having fewer seats than the Left-slate overall, the Progressive Liberals won the highest overall share of the proportional votes – the announcement ends weeks of speculation. Many commentators had speculated that Juliusson might appoint his colleague-slash-rival to the Finance Ministry to calm the jittery markets, which have slumped 12% since the election over fears of a hard-left turn by the government. Juliusson and Michaelsdóttir made no secret of their differences over foreign policy during the campaign, and her tenure could be a testy one, with Juliusson already having announced the full withdrawal of Græntfjaller forces from Verdean and Akhdari zones of engagement.

“I’m just here to watch some chess,” was her tight-lipped response last night, before news of her appointment was made official, but she is expected to make her first major policy address on returning to the White Winter Queendom. Issues will doubtless include potential Græntfjaller accession to the CRC, a referendum on WA membership, and most importantly of all the giant asteroid plummeting towards our country, I mean, the fate of the Verdean leatherback sea turtle. Aww. Adorable.

In this edition:
  • World Cup champions from Decatur, or Illinois, or part of it? (6)
  • To make this former Baptism of Fire winner you take a strong alcohol drink, remove middle of glass, and serve with love (7)
  • Thick aroma drifts in from colorful Anaian nation (10)
  • “Inside iron, dry backwards”? Confusing instructions from noted kit manufacturer (6)
  • Garment, tangled with end of clothesline, makes for worthy opponent (8)

Bollonich
Diplomat

Postby Bollonich » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:18 am

Vreton City Journal

Lecholy hopeful following ECC success

We have once again been witness to the soft power prevalent throughout sports. Yesterday we heard the Græntfjaller president speak about relations between Bollonich and Græntfjall as he described the partnership between the two nations at the Elephant Chess Cup as an important first move. And the Bollonischian President, Lecholy couldn’t agree more as he came out today describing relations with Græntfjall as something an integral part of their foreign policy even despite him stepping down in 2021.
The resumption of formal relations seemed to bolstered by the attendance of Græntfjaller foreign minister, Kaija Michaelsdóttir at South Newlandia to watch the final of the Elephant Chess Cup. She shall be witness as the joint BAC-GCF team will take on the chess team from Mertagne.

Chances of playing in the final looked slim for the team ahead of the 9th Matchday of Sunday as we faced the team Arjunnagar who we managed to defeat by a slim 2½ to 1½. It would as expected come down to the game between Raspotochje and Shell Shock Troop Clan as Mertagne had already secured first position and qualification on the table. And Shell Shock Troop Clan did the near impossible as they defeated Raspotochje allowing us to feature in the finals and they secured 5th place appearing in the 5th place match against the Dotivija/Srednjaci joint team.

And now for your daily dose of Twii.tur content

Image @Hello!Chess And to the final we go, this has been brilliant showing from all of our and Græntfjaller players and from us at Hello!Chess we wish them the best of luck!

Image @ChessLover69 See, I told you. I literally told you we would be in the final. And now I am telling you Mertagne will lose and to not believe me would be a fool’s ploy.

Image @Hello!Chess So for the last and final time here is our problem and the leaderboard following the penultimate problem as Sandra Elephantson has secured first place.

1. Sandra Elephantson (South Newlandia) - 25
2. Logan Allen (Eshialand) - 19
3. Melsiende Elzinga (Bollonich) - 18
4. Teemu Moralez (Maribaya) - 17
5. Timmy Brown (Bollonich) - 15
Meh

South Newlandia
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby South Newlandia » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:19 am

This is the final ECC cutoff! Who's going to take home the win?

Match for 7th place:

Felinetopia 2½–1½ South Newlandia

Match for 5th place:

Shell Shock Troop Clan 2½–1½ Dotivija/Srednjaci

Match for 3rd place:

Raspotochje 1½–2½ Eshialand

Mertagne 1½–2½ Bollonich/Græntfjall

Congratulations to the champions of the first Elephant Chess Cup, and thanks for participating, everyone!

If you have any feedback or suggestions for a potential second edition, please let me know via discord or telegram :)
Last edited by South Newlandia on Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eshialand
Diplomat

Anarchy

Postby Eshialand » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:02 pm

Checkmate
Raspotochje 1½-2½ Eshialand

Date: Sunday, December 5th, 2021
Time: 4:37 PM
Location: Inside the Ivory Crown Hotel, Newport, South Newlandia

"Is she done yet?" Alan asked, as he joined Mary, Jason, Lazlo, and King William.
"No, Stephanie's still out there." Mary replied.
"Did you guys draw too?"
"Yup," Jason answered, "so it's all down to Stephanie."
"If she wins, we get the bronze medal..." Lazlo continued.
"And if she doesn't, Raspotochje does..." the king replied.
"Now, we wait..." Alan said.

Stephanie tried her hardest to ignore the obvious pressure that the current results were putting on her game with Darjan Kninsky. Luckily, he was in time trouble, and Stephanie had an extra pawn.

The rest of the Eshian delegation waited with baited breath, as the game continued, almost deadlocked. Stephanie, however, didn't notice this. She managed to black out everything else, everyone else... she was the only person in her universe, and the board in front of her was the only thing there with her.

Minutes passed, and Darjan was able to hang on to the game. He showed no signs of letting up, despite the small amount of time left on his clock. Everything seemed neck and neck down to the final moments...

Then, Kninsky messed up, and he knew it the moment he played the final blunder. Stephanie saw the mistake instantly, and capitalized in the best way she could. After Darjan saw the move that she made, he knew that it was all over. He tipped his king, and the two shook hands.

When Stephanie returned to the rest of the team, they started celebrating, but what they were celebrating wasn't the 3rd place victory, but rather the fact that they had fun, because in the end, fun is the only victory.

This team had come into the tournament as a disunified mess, just four separate people with no business being a team. By the time they flew back to Eshialand, however, they had become more than just four people. They were a team.

Raspotochje 1½-2½ Eshialand
Severn ½-½ Habijanić
Vukorepac ½-½ Nerata
Blaine ½
-½ Grnelić

Kninsky 0-1 Jacobson

(he/him/any/all)

Shell Shock Troop Clan
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Shell Shock Troop Clan » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:41 pm

La Prensa Libre

According to research conducted by the international community, Shell Shock Troop Clan were the only team to be involved in quasi-blowouts of the score 3.5 to .5 in the Elephant Chess Cup. They defeated Quebec and Shingoryeo by heavy margins in the 4 pm match on Friday, but then lost to Mertagne at the same hour on Saturday. (The fifth-place playoff saw them defeat the Srednjaci/Dotivija unified team in a closer match, with Alexis Merino's defeat of Tin Mužinić the only non-draw.) Commentators have suggested that this may be a case of our team having a particularly aggressive strategy, or tendency to make risky maneuvers rather than play for draws. We at the Prensa Libre, however, can confirm that they are all a bunch of nerds.

"I feel as if these rapid games lead to more pressure and more decisive results than would be my preference," said verifiable slowpoke Chavela Sabina, "but credit to the organizers, they had a plan and they executed it well."

"Bro, I think making generalizations about what kind of players we are based on where we come from is kind of a patzer-level blunder, my dudes," said Ginés Atocha into his webcam. "I mean, there was a time when Omar wouldn't technically have been in the same 'nation' as us, and that would have been a major bummer, bros. And like, some of these teams are formed from more than one country, so like, how indicative could those distributions really be? Makes you think."

"You know what they say, it's not about the winning, it's about the taking part," mused Merino. "Except in this case I think it would be a little more rewarding to analyze some of our games rather than babble about our record, but you know what? Some of those games got sloppy under time pressure and I'm not sure further analysis would yield much. Except possibly persuading Ginés to avoid some of his...more audacious strategies."

"The only reason we're talking about this is because there weren't any 4-0 matches," claimed Omar Torres. "But that was unlikely, because teams tended to get matched towards other teams of equal skill. It's almost as if the Casaran system actually works." At press time, a bunch of fans' heads were metaphorically exploding. Then they realized they agreed with him, wondered what kind of country they were from anyway, and their heads metaphorically exploded again.
Pero lo digo sin maldad
No habría un Clemente

Graintfjall
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Graintfjall » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:58 pm

Winning chess team celebrated on Sankt Jakob’s Day

Ánýá Klæðskera-gleði and Reynir Ýrarsson were guests of honor at Háttmark’s annual Sankt Jakob’s Day parade to celebrate the patron saint of Græntfjall. While past such parades have included military heroes, national sporting champions, or giants of the literary world among the honored guests, this year those chosen were the Græntfjaller members of the joint team with Bollonich who won the inaugural Elephant Chess Cup in South Newlandia. Dr. Klæðskera-gleði, clad in traditional Kamdyr dress, sounded the Horn of the Mountains to begin the parade. A lighter moment came when Mr Ýrarsson, a pothole enthusiast, veered off course of the procession to inspect a particularly choice specimen on the Vopnahlésdagurinnbreiðstræti.

Kaija Michaelsdóttir, Foreign Minister and leader of the Progressive Liberals, said that she hoped the joint team would mark improving future relationships with Bollonich. Victory in the tournament was clinched in an exciting final, with Klæðskera-gleði and Ýrarsson drawing their matches along with Bollonich’s Clara Josep, before teenage Bollonischian phenom Felip Oliver defeated Mertagnian microbiologist Carys Burgess to put the team decisively ahead. Josep and Oliver have been invited to attend next year Sankt Jakob’s Day parade, by which time it is hoped relations between the two nations will have thawed to allow more such shared cultural congress. Elsewhere, Queen Júlíana attended Mass at the Basilika with her eldest daughter, Crown Princess Kassandra; her younger daughter, Princess Jessika, is currently on assignment with the Græntfjaller Navy, but delivered a video message from the Verdean Ocean, where she is stationed with the Second Fleet.

Sankt Jakob’s Day is the feast day of Græntfjall’s patron saint, a warrior-priest who lead the defense of the realm against the Turks, culminating in repelling the invading army from the Gates of Háttmark at the Field of Cabbages. In his later life he became a noted skald and composed many epic verses, before spending his final years serving the Church as a wandering mendicant. He was formally invested as a Saint by the Catholic Church. Many places in Græntfjall, from towns and streets to sports stadiums and even brands of toothpaste are named for Jakob, and his feast day is a de facto national day. Although its formal celebration was largely eschewed by the communist regime under a policy of state secularism, since Liberation many ancient traditions have been revived such as the Running of the Cabbages and the Ceremony of Getting Really, Really Drunk, considered one of the most important elements of the feast day rites.

Some aspects of the celebrations have been toned down in recent years, particularly anti-Turkic traditions now considered by some to be Islamophobic or in bad taste. Traditional folk plays commonly featured the stock character “the Turk”, a slaver who would kidnap “the Maid”, in reference to the history of slave raiding across the Græntfjaller shores. (Some modern historians controversially assert that such ‘raiding’ was in fact largely trading with Græntfjaller bands whose chiefs willingly sold slaves of captured rival tribes.) The Turk is usually portrayed in blackface, but there has been a move away from such costume choices, now often instead face painting all members of the cast in a variety of colors.

Even More controversial is the Burning of the Crescent, re-enacting the moment when Sankt Jakob captured the Sultan’s baggage train and burned his standard. The burning of flags with star-and-crescent imagery has proved profoundly unpleasant to modern eyes and in recent years sparked riots in some neighborhoods of Háttmark and Laafjörður. There have also been environmental concerns about the air quality impact of burning flags, often made of cheap plastic fibres. Many communities have opted to move to bonfires decorated with strips of green cloth or paper, but lacking any distinctive religious insignia.

Given the recent explosion at a mosque in Nova Anglicana, the Burning of the Crescent was considered in especially poor taste this year and Prime Minister Zóphonías Juliusson instead encouraged revellers to confine their incendiary activities to sparklers and fireworks. In their Sankt Jakob’s Day addresses, both he and Leader of the Opposition Sigjón Þjóðbjörnsson offered their sympathies to those affected by the explosion. Abdul Mus’ab, chief imam of the Háttmark Central Mosque, has encouraged a donation drive, with both members of the Græntfjaller Muslim community and those from outside the community contributing to a fund for the families of those hurt or killed in the explosion. Emeli Vilbertsdóttir, national football captain, and Amanda Guttisdóttir, MVP of the 80th Cup of Harmony, which the Snow Wolves won, each donated signed shirts to an auction to raise money for welfare packages for Nova Anglicanan first responders.

World Cup champions from Decatur, or Illinois, or part of it? (6)

“part of it” in a cryptic crossword clue usually means a string of letters from words in the clue form the answer. Looking through the clue, we can pick out, from the words Decatur, or Illinois, the letters Turori (in cryptic crosswords punctuation and capitalization can usually be ignored), to give us the World Cup champions.

To make this former Baptism of Fire winner you take a strong alcohol drink, remove middle of glass, and serve with love (7)

This clue is probably best reversed engineered by thinking about Baptism of Fire winners: given the mention of “strong alcoholic drink”, Tequilo should immediately come to mind. Why? Because it’s a tequila, with the “middle of glass”, that is, a, the middle letter of the word glass, removed, and instead added on the letter o, which looks like 0, or “love” in tennis. O = love is a common cryptic crossword clue element.

Thick aroma drifts in from colorful Anaian nation (10)

Many cryptic crossword clues contain anagrams. Any words suggesting mixing up letters, such as in this case “drifts”, is a hint. The only 10 letter string is “thick aroma”, which when mixed up, gives us Chromatika.

“Inside iron, dry backwards”? Confusing instructions from noted kit manufacturer (6)

First, remember that we ignore punctuation. So “inside iron dry” could mean a word for dry e.g. arid inside the letters Fe, which is the chemical symbol for iron. And it’s “backwards”, so faride becomes ediraf.

Garment, tangled with end of clothesline, makes for worthy opponent (8)

gg to our worthy opponents, whose name, incidentally, can be made by taking the word “garment”, the “end of” i.e. the last letter of “clothesline”, and with the anagram indicator word “tangled”, mixing it up to form, of course, Mertagne.

Mertagne
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Mertagne » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:29 am

Sorry for the late RP. Forums were down and such.

National :: Crime
Curt Crime Boss "Taken Down" at Airport
Head of Crime Family Arrested at Neorudo AquAirport
by Itsker Verravale

Neorudo, MERTAGNE-- Shocking scenes developed from Neorudo AquAirport this afternoon as prominent organised crime boss Zheska Curt was arrested in a tempestuous confrontation in the arrival lounge. Statements from the police and eyewitness reports corroborate that the crime boss, who was known to police, was seen in the departure lounge conversing at arm's length with an unidentified male and female, who appeared to had passed him a box with unknown content. Upon receiving this package, Curt was tackled to the ground by several plain-clothes officers in what appeared to be a sting operation.

Neorudo Police Chief Andrea Tikrudo stated: "This afternoon we were able to apprehend a key figure in the organised crime structure of New Fligsive. This arrest was made with the help of a variety of national and international organisations, including the New Fligsive Police Department. This operation struck a key blow to taking down the resurgence organised crime in Mertagne's largest city, and across the nation in the wake of government reformation. This shows the hard-line approach to organized crime that police forces in several provinces are taking, in order to stop the exploitation of people under these oppressive crime systems."

Investigative work has shown that the unidentified figures exited a gate that contained a flight that had come in from The Licentian Isles. Were these Esportivans involved in organised crime, or were they heroes who helped tip the police off? At the time of writing, this remains unknown. Neorudo police have declined to comment on the identity of the two individuals eyewitnesses reported present with Zheska Curt.
One eyewitness, a member of the Mertagnian Chess team, reported: "I didn't really see too much, but it seems that the big guy [Zheska Curt] was swiftly apprehended by the police and airport security. It looked like he'd stolen something from that young girl?"

This arrest comes at a critical time, after a recent crime wave in New Fligsive saw several bank robberies attempted in the city, many of which were successful. Prominent Mertagnian financiers ShiiBank claimed that all money was insured against the Multiversal Bank, but at a time where regional cohesion is strong culturally but weak institutionally (outside of sport), many users of ShiiBank have raised concerns about the future of their money and have moved to other platforms.

Curt is being held in custody in Neorudo, but will be transferred to New Fligsive for trial. It is expected that, if he is found guilty, he will receive life in prison. However, a prominent Neorudo judge unrelated to the case claims that the option for a plea-deal would probably be on the table, as New Fligsive is looking to tackle its organised crime problem, which is still very much a problem. Several crime organisations, often called "families", are still active in the area, and Zheska Curt's underlings or rivals may seek to fill the power vacuum. It is hopeful that whatever information can be gained by holding Zheska Curt in custody can be used to mitigate this problem.

In Other News...
> Mertagne's Chess Players Take Second in Elephant Chess Cup I After Previously Unbeaten Streak
> Mertagne's Return to International Sport - A Retrospective
> Anaia Regional Talks Continue -- Regional Institutions Floated

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports