NATION

PASSWORD

[Issue Contest Entry]A Toll on Atolls

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Zentata
Attaché

Founded: Nov 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

[Issue Contest Entry]A Toll on Atolls

Postby Zentata » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:17 pm

[Title] A Toll on Atolls

[Validity] Has WMDs

[Description] After the Ministry of Defense began testing nuclear weapons over uninhabited atolls last month, it has come to light that multiple neighboring atolls were unexpectedly covered with nuclear fallout, and their citizens are now suffering from radiation poisoning. The resounding outcry has forced you to make a decision.

[Option 1] "Stop the bombs"! wheezes @@RANDOMNAME@@, who was out fishing and received a nearly-fatal dose of radiation. After coughing up some blood into a tissue, he continues: "My home, Swim Shorts Bottom, has been irreparably damaged because of your ignorance. You must pay full compensation to the victims and stop nuclear testing everywhere, so that no-one has to suffer like I do!"

[Effect] nuclear weapons are no longer set off in the desert for risk of disturbing lizards

[Option 2] "Stop testing entirely?! How absurd," exclaims your Minister of Entertainment, @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Everyone knows that bombs are... the bomb, if you catch my drift. In fact, they're so hot I be people would pay to watch them"! @@HE@@ proceeds to jump on your desk, pulling out what seems to be a pre-made poster extolling the excitement of watching the bombs drop. @@HE@@ continues, "So, what do you say, @@LEADER@@? Do you want to make a pretty penny, and blow some stuff up while we're at it?"

[Effect] radiation induced lesions are the new craze

[Option 3] "Have NONE of you even stopped to think about the environmental impact of this disaster"? Questions @@RANDOMNAME@@, an environmental activist, as @@HE@@ drops down from the ceiling. "These atolls are precious little pearls, and all this human habitation is taking a toll on the coral reefs, not to mention the NUCLEAR WEAPONS! You should evict everyone living on these atolls at once, and make sure that the atolls are protected from us nasty humans. For the children, @@LEADER@@."

[Effect] the government of @@NATION@@ now says "If we can't be environmentally friendly, neither can you"

[Title] A Toll on Atolls

[Validity] Has WMDs

[Description] After the Ministry of Defense began testing nuclear weapons over supposedly uninhabited atolls last month, it has come to light that multiple of the atolls were, in fact, inhabited. The resounding outcry has forced you to make a decision.

[Option 1] "Stop the bombs"! cries @@RANDOMNAME@@, who was out fishing when the bomb struck @@HIS@@ atoll. "My home, Swim Shorts Bottom, was destroyed because of your ignorance. You must pay full compensation to the victims and stop nuclear testing everywhere, so that no-one has to suffer like I do!"

[Effect] nuclear weapons are no longer set off in the desert for risk of disturbing lizards

[Option 2] "Stop testing entirely?! How absurd," exclaims your Minister of Entertainment, @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Everyone knows that bombs are... the bomb, if you catch my drift. In fact, they're so hot I be people would pay to watch them"! @@HE@@ proceeds to jump on your desk, pulling out what seems to be a pre-made poster extolling the excitement of watching the bombs drop. @@HE@@ continues, "So, what do you say, @@LEADER@@? Do you want to make a pretty penny, and blow some stuff up while we're at it?"

[Effect] radiation induced lesions are the new craze

[Option 3] "Have NONE of you even stopped to think about the environmental impact of this disaster"? Questions @@RANDOMNAME@@, an environmental activist, as @@HE@@ drops down from the ceiling. "These atolls are precious little pearls, and all this human habitation is taking a toll on the coral reefs, not to mention the NUCLEAR WEAPONS! You should evict everyone living on these atolls at once, and make sure that the atolls are protected from us nasty humans. For the children, @@LEADER@@."

[Effect] "If we can't be environmentally friendly, neither can you", says the government of @@NATION@@
Last edited by Zentata on Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:29 pm

Depending on how close the speaker of option 1 was to the explosion, it is more than likely that he received a dose of radiation. I would imagine that as a fairly significant concern. Nuclear fallout in general should be a greater concern in this issue, I believe. The Bikini Atoll test - which this issue is based upon, I see - caused nuclear fallout to occur all across the Pacific. I don't know if you have seen it, but there is a very interesting video on it by Kyle Hill.

Overall I think this issue draft is well-written, and is a good first draft to develop further. I would advise you to reword effect 3, as, if I recall correctly, effect lines can't start with a quotation mark (if I am wrong I hope someone will bonk me on the head and correct me).
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Zentata
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Zentata » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:38 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:Depending on how close the speaker of option 1 was to the explosion, it is more than likely that he received a dose of radiation. I would imagine that as a fairly significant concern. Nuclear fallout in general should be a greater concern in this issue, I believe. The Bikini Atoll test - which this issue is based upon, I see - caused nuclear fallout to occur all across the Pacific. I don't know if you have seen it, but there is a very interesting video on it by Kyle Hill.

Overall I think this issue draft is well-written, and is a good first draft to develop further. I would advise you to reword effect 3, as, if I recall correctly, effect lines can't start with a quotation mark (if I am wrong I hope someone will bonk me on the head and correct me).

I tried to incorporate that with the "suffer like I do" bit - but I agree that it should probably be fleshed out more. I'll include more detail on it, probably based on the Daigo Fukuryū Maru

Edit: I can also re-write the third effect line for sure
Last edited by Zentata on Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:40 pm

Zentata wrote:I tried to incorporate that with the "suffer like I do" bit - but I agree that it should probably be fleshed out more. I'll include more detail on it, probably based on the Daigo Fukuryū Maru

Edit: I can also re-write the third effect line for sure

Glad to hear it! I believe it will help to strengthen the issue draft :)

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:04 pm

How did they not know that the atolls were inhabited? Seriously? :blink:
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:06 pm

Bears Armed wrote:How did they not know that the atolls were inhabited? Seriously? :blink:

Yes, also a point to consider. I'd lean in on the "the wind turned into an unexpected direction and blew the fallout into the atoll", like happened with the real life example.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Zentata
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Zentata » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:28 pm

I've written up the second draft taking into account all the feedback.
~

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:07 am

Bears Armed wrote:How did they not know that the atolls were inhabited? Seriously? :blink:
Daarwyrth wrote:Yes, also a point to consider. I'd lean in on the "the wind turned into an unexpected direction and blew the fallout into the atoll", like happened with the real life example.
Or, the atolls were inhabited only by tribal natives who weren't officially registered as citizens.

Zentata
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Zentata » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:02 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:Yes, also a point to consider. I'd lean in on the "the wind turned into an unexpected direction and blew the fallout into the atoll", like happened with the real life example.
Or, the atolls were inhabited only by tribal natives who weren't officially registered as citizens.

That's a fair point, but I think it's easier to go with the blown fallout option, it's more plausible imo
~

Zentata
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Zentata » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:11 am

/bump
~

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:40 pm

I'd like to suggest a different approach, as I assume you've been inspired by this?.

Frankly, the "oh no, we infected some citizens, now what?" approach is boring. You can't treat people for radiation poisoning, so the debate is more about the use of nuclear weapons than the atoll itself. Nuclear weapon testing ethics is covered elsewhere.

I think you could craft a decent issue out of attempts to relocate citizens in these remote areas so you can conduct radiation tests. There are unique challenges to relocating tribes and natives from these extremely remote locations, and there is nothing covering that in the issue base, as far as I'm aware.
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Zentata
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Zentata » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:35 pm

Noahs Second Country wrote:I'd like to suggest a different approach, as I assume you've been inspired by this?.

Frankly, the "oh no, we infected some citizens, now what?" approach is boring. You can't treat people for radiation poisoning, so the debate is more about the use of nuclear weapons than the atoll itself. Nuclear weapon testing ethics is covered elsewhere.

I think you could craft a decent issue out of attempts to relocate citizens in these remote areas so you can conduct radiation tests. There are unique challenges to relocating tribes and natives from these extremely remote locations, and there is nothing covering that in the issue base, as far as I'm aware.

Alright, I'm down. I'll pull something together.
~

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?