NATION

PASSWORD

Alcohol Discussion Thread I: Drunk Spirits

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Should drinking alcohol be legal?

Yes.
75%
No.
25%

Total votes : 77

Molotovsk
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 02, 2021
Ex-Nation

Alcohol Discussion Thread I: Drunk Spirits

Postby Molotovsk » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:05 pm

Lets say that you were in complete control of alcohol's fate. Considering that no law on alcohol was made yet, you could only let it be legal or illegal. Here are some things to help you:

Drinking too much can harm your health. Excessive alcohol use led to approximately 95,000 deaths and 2.8 million years of potential life lost (YPLL) each year in the United States from 2011 – 2015, shortening the lives of those who died by an average of 29 years. Further, excessive drinking was responsible for 1 in 10 deaths among working-age adults aged 20-64 years. The economic costs of excessive alcohol consumption in 2010 were estimated at $249 billion, or $2.05 a drink.

- Center for Disease Control and Prevention, ??/??/????

Moderate alcohol consumption may provide some health benefits, such as:

1. Reducing your risk of developing and dying of heart disease
2. Possibly reducing your risk of ischemic stroke (when the arteries to your brain become narrowed or blocked, causing severely reduced blood flow)
3. Possibly reducing your risk of diabetes

- Mayo Clinic, 10/16/2019
Last edited by Molotovsk on Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Untecna
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 02, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Untecna » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:07 pm

Definitely pressing the ban button.
Dragon with internet access. I am coming for your data. More for the hoard.
NFL Team: 49rs
California is the best is the worst is kinda okay
I may not be an expert on them, but I feel like I know about way too many obscure video/audio formats.
Issues Author (#1520) | Failed GA Resolution Author

Ayytaly
Minister

Founded: Feb 08, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ayytaly » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:14 pm

Legalize it? I'd turn it into a state industry and have all profit be redirected to fund infrastructure, health care, education (STEM in particular), and increase food supply. However, we will not be liable for alcohol-related incidents. You chose to drink, not us.

P.S. There are strikes for drunk-driving. First strike is a 6-month prison sentence. Second is 2 years. Third is the death penalty.
Signatures are the obnoxious car bumper stickers of the internet. Also, Rojava did nothing right.

Molotovsk
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Molotovsk » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:28 pm

Ayytaly wrote:Legalize it? I'd turn it into a state industry and have all profit be redirected to fund infrastructure, health care, education (STEM in particular), and increase food supply. However, we will not be liable for alcohol-related incidents. You chose to drink, not us.

P.S. There are strikes for drunk-driving. First strike is a 6-month prison sentence. Second is 2 years. Third is the death penalty.

In Israel, there is no such thing.

Resilient Acceleration
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Resilient Acceleration » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:31 pm

One word: Prohibition.

TLDR News | Exclusive: GLOBAL DRONE CRISIS! "Hyper-advanced" Chinese military AI design leaked online by unknown groups, Pres. Yang issues warning of "major outbreak of 3D-printed drone swarm terrorist attacks to US civilians and assets" | Secretary Pasca to expand surveillance on all financial activities through pattern recognition AI to curb the supply chain of QAnon and other domestic terror grassroots

A near-future scenario where transhumanist tech barons and their ruthless capitalism are trying to save the planet, emphasis on "try" | Resilient Accelerationism in a nutshell | OOC

Azalfia
Spokesperson

Founded: May 15, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Azalfia » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:34 pm

I have a moral objection to alcohol, but it would be absolutely silly to try to ban it. Society is at a point where maybe instead, we put the money we get from alcohol sales into rehabilitation for addicts, and raising the taxes on alcohol. Putting money towards rehabilitation of alcohol addicts would lower the amount of addicts willing to spend self harming amounts of money on alcohol, and a tax on it would provide a incentive for non addicted drinkers to hold off on buying it.
Uphold Azalfia! The Turn Of The Laborer's Has Come!

He/Him. 2 year debate student. I do debate sometimes. Empathy and Compassion for life. Supporter of the Peace Tax. What did Iceland tell the bankers?

Molotovsk
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Molotovsk » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:37 pm

Resilient Acceleration wrote:One word: Prohibition.

It felt like hell during those days.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:41 pm

Alcohol is the reason I'm here in the first place, and it's served me quite well ever since. Keep it please and thank you.

Western Fardelshufflestein
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Fardelshufflestein » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:46 pm

Azalfia wrote:I have a moral objection to alcohol, but it would be absolutely silly to try to ban it. Society is at a point where maybe instead, we put the money we get from alcohol sales into rehabilitation for addicts, and raising the taxes on alcohol. Putting money towards rehabilitation of alcohol addicts would lower the amount of addicts willing to spend self harming amounts of money on alcohol, and a tax on it would provide a incentive for non addicted drinkers to hold off on buying it.

I...love that idea.

Where does the money for alcohol taxes actually go to at present?
The Constitutional Monarchy of Western Fardelshufflestein
Always Has Been. | WF's User Be Like | NSG is Budget Twitter | Yo, Kenneth Branagh won an Oscar
Tiny, Shakespeare-obsessed island nation northeast of NZ settled by HRE emigrants who thought they'd landed in the West Indies. F7 Stuff Mostly Not Canon; RP is in real time; Ignore Stats; Still Not Kenneth Branagh. | A L A S T A I R C E P T I O N
The Western Fardelshufflestein Sentinel | 27 November 2022 bUt wHy iS tHE rUm gOnE!?

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:51 pm

Azalfia wrote:I have a moral objection to alcohol, but it would be absolutely silly to try to ban it. Society is at a point where maybe instead, we put the money we get from alcohol sales into rehabilitation for addicts, and raising the taxes on alcohol. Putting money towards rehabilitation of alcohol addicts would lower the amount of addicts willing to spend self harming amounts of money on alcohol, and a tax on it would provide a incentive for non addicted drinkers to hold off on buying it.

Alcohol in most US jurisdictions is already highly taxed, but to your point, the question of "where should we put that money" is valid. In most states, the alcohol revenue goes to a sort of "Beverage Control Fund," which state govts often distribute back to infrastructure and similar projects. Allocating some of that money towards rehabilitation is smart, though I'm sure some countries/states may have tried it. Couldn't find anything on google, but I'm sure it exists somewhere.

That said, alcohol is pretty highly taxed as is. Increasing that "luxury tax" even further makes it function more as a regressive poverty tax. To really tackle alcoholism in my own country (the US), and many other countries, alleviating social ills and inequality helps, as does greater levels of education, and even a change in drinking culture. Binge-drinking is so, so, so prevalent among youth in the US, and not all young folks grow out of it. Some grow into a drinking problem that will last regardless of how expensive their next fix is.

Azalfia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Azalfia » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:57 pm

Major-Tom wrote:

Alcohol in most US jurisdictions is already highly taxed, but to your point, the question of "where should we put that money" is valid. In most states, the alcohol revenue goes to a sort of "Beverage Control Fund," which state govts often distribute back to infrastructure and similar projects. Allocating some of that money towards rehabilitation is smart, though I'm sure some countries/states may have tried it. Couldn't find anything on google, but I'm sure it exists somewhere.

That said, alcohol is pretty highly taxed as is. Increasing that "luxury tax" even further makes it function more as a regressive poverty tax. To really tackle alcoholism in my own country (the US), and many other countries, alleviating social ills and inequality helps, as does greater levels of education, and even a change in drinking culture. Binge-drinking is so, so, so prevalent among youth in the US, and not all young folks grow out of it. Some grow into a drinking problem that will last regardless of how expensive their next fix is.

I mean you have a point. Many people have alcohol addictions that start due to stress and bad conditions in life, generally associated with poverty. Maybe taxing it more is not the good idea, but putting the funds we gain from it to trying to lower drinking rates and rehabilitate those with problems might be better. Thanks for the new view.

He/Him. 2 year debate student. I do debate sometimes. Empathy and Compassion for life. Supporter of the Peace Tax. What did Iceland tell the bankers?

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:57 pm

Western Fardelshufflestein wrote:I...love that idea.

Where does the money for alcohol taxes actually go to at present?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomaspell ... 1d44b95229
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:08 pm

Alcohol should definitely be legal. We should educate people on the effects though and let them make the decision for themselves. Some weekends when I'm out of weed and too lazy to drive down to the closest dispensary on the west side, I buy myself a couple smirnoff Ice Smashes and chug away. I think any drug that can be moderated by a user should be legal. The only drugs that shouldn't be legal are ones that get you hooked almost immediately and even they should be decriminalized so users get help and not hauled off to jail.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Postauthoritarian America
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 07, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Postauthoritarian America » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:44 pm

I would make it mandatory for people to either drink alcohol or smoke weed every day. The benefit to society from all the mellow would be incalculable.
"The violence of American law enforcement degrades the lives of countless people, especially poor Black people, through its peculiar appetite for their death." | "There are but two parties now: traitors and patriots. And I want hereafter to be ranked with the latter and, I trust, the stronger party." -- Ulysses S. Grant, 1861 | "You don't get mulligans in insurrection." | "Today's Republican Party is America's and the world's largest white supremacist organization." | "I didn't vote to overturn an election, and I will not be lectured by people who did about partisanship." -- Rep. Gerry Connolly |"Republicans...have transformed...to a fascist party engaged in a takeover of the United States of America."

Azalfia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Azalfia » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:46 pm

Postauthoritarian America wrote:I would make it mandatory for people to either drink alcohol or smoke weed every day. The benefit to society from all the mellow would be incalculable.

the most basedest thing ever written /s

No but seriously, really, what benefits come from alcohol? I've never really figured it out or the mindset behind it.

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum
Minister

Founded: Sep 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:51 pm

Don't touch my alcohol ! my special recipe enjoy raki, vodka and water :)
Last edited by Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum on Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sosyal Demokrat Kemalist
Zayıf Agnostik
LGBT Destekçisi
-3.13 -4.77
Türk %76,2 ☾☆
Slav %22,4
Çinli %1

Postauthoritarian America
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 07, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Postauthoritarian America » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:53 pm

Azalfia wrote:
Postauthoritarian America wrote:I would make it mandatory for people to either drink alcohol or smoke weed every day. The benefit to society from all the mellow would be incalculable.

No but seriously, really, what benefits come from alcohol? I've never really figured it out or the mindset behind it.

Besided improved mood, better social interactions and tasty pairings with most foods, lowered risk of heart disease, stroke and diabetes. Your mileage may vary.
"The violence of American law enforcement degrades the lives of countless people, especially poor Black people, through its peculiar appetite for their death." | "There are but two parties now: traitors and patriots. And I want hereafter to be ranked with the latter and, I trust, the stronger party." -- Ulysses S. Grant, 1861 | "You don't get mulligans in insurrection." | "Today's Republican Party is America's and the world's largest white supremacist organization." | "I didn't vote to overturn an election, and I will not be lectured by people who did about partisanship." -- Rep. Gerry Connolly |"Republicans...have transformed...to a fascist party engaged in a takeover of the United States of America."

Whitemore
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Whitemore » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:55 pm

Make it illegal and prevent it's production, it's a disease on Humanity and causes unneeded deaths.
★ The Empire of Whitemore ★ - " We will reach the Gates of Heaven!"

The remnants of Humanity set in 2601, 500 years after an alien attack on Terra forced Mankind to flee the planet.

• Loosely based off of several sci fi anime shows, some examples are; Code Geass, Aldnoah Zero and Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Whitemoreans whenever a new War Campaign is launched - POV: You're Whitemorean and see a alien

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:57 pm

Azalfia wrote:

Lower Risk of Heart Disease

Several reviews have suggested that consuming one to two beers a day may help lower your risk of heart disease. In fact, beer may be as effective at improving general heart health as wine at comparable alcohol levels.

One study showed that one drink a day lowered the risk of all-cause mortality for women and up to two beers a day produced the same results for men. While one study is not enough to identify the cause for this, research is promising.

Improved Blood Sugar Levels

Drinking light amounts of alcohol may help reduce the risk of developing diabetes and help people with diabetes control their blood sugar more effectively. One study showed that one to two alcoholic drinks a day could lower the risk of developing diabetes by as much as 50%.

This effect is strongest for low-sugar beers, such as light beers, so pay attention to the type of beer you drink.

Increased Bone Strength

Early research suggests that moderate amounts of beer may help strengthen bones for men and postmenopausal women. This may be because alcohol in general, in moderate amounts, can help your bones. But this benefit sharply drops when consumption passes two drinks a day, so moderation is key.
https://www.webmd.com/diet/beer-good-for-you#1

Potential Health Benefits of Whiskey

Whiskey contains fewer calories compared to other alcohols and has no carbohydrates or sugar. Its ellagic acid content may also reduce bodily inflammation and lower the risk of obesity.

Research suggests that there are other health benefits to drinking whiskey. However, these benefits are all associated with moderate consumption — heavy drinking can lead to serious health issues.

A glass of whiskey a day may offer health benefits like:

Heart Health

Whiskey has high levels of polyphenols, plant-based antioxidants linked with lowering your risk of heart disease. The polyphenols in whiskey have been shown to decrease “ bad ” cholest erol (LDL) and increase “g ood ” cholesterol (HDL) levels, and reduce triglycerides, or fat in your blood.

Bad cholesterol and triglycerides can clog your arteries, while good cholesterol helps to keep them clear. Maintaining healthy levels can help prevent heart disease and stroke.
Relief of Cold Symptoms

Whiskey can temporarily widen your blood vessels. In small amounts, this can help clear mucus congestion in your sinuses and chest, which lets your body better deal with sickness and infection. This effect may also relieve other symptoms of a cold or flu, like coughing or wheezing.

Immune System Support

Scientists are unsure why, but several studies link moderate alcohol consumption to improved immunity of diseases and improved responses to vaccines. Studies show lower rates of the common cold, faster removal of bacteria, and better antibody response in people who have a daily drink compared to those who don’t. However, much more research is needed to understand this effect.

Brain Health

The plant-based antioxidants in whiskey may help maintain a healthy chemical balance in your brain. Research shows small amounts of whiskey — especially aged varieties — increases our activity in the brain’s GABA neurotransmitter, responsible for things like nervous system function and memory.

One study found that people who consumed one to six drinks weekly had a lower risk of dementia than non-drinkers. Another showed that moderate alcohol intake might reduce cognitive decline in people with Alzheimer’s Disease.
https://www.webmd.com/diet/whiskey-good-for-you#2

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:58 pm

Weed. Alcohol makes some people aggressive like my brother. But weed just makes us trip balls cause we smoke strong shit like J1 or Orange Ghost. I don't drink that much anymore since I found a really good dispensary that opened recently and has all the stuff I like.

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:59 pm

Whitemore wrote:Make it illegal and prevent it's production, it's a disease on Humanity and causes unneeded deaths.

Already tried that. It just led to the Italian Mafia becoming more powerful.

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum
Minister

Founded: Sep 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:00 pm

Whitemore wrote:Make it illegal and prevent it's production, it's a disease on Humanity and causes unneeded deaths.
Welcome to the Middle East. to the region of the world where all crimes where alcohol is prohibited.The prohibitionist mentality needs to break its chains. don't touch my cigarette, my marijuana, my alcohol
Sosyal Demokrat Kemalist
Zayıf Agnostik
LGBT Destekçisi
-3.13 -4.77
Türk %76,2 ☾☆
Slav %22,4
Çinli %1

Whitemore
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Whitemore » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:01 pm

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:

Already tried that. It just led to the Italian Mafia becoming more powerful.

Just answering OP's question, he didn't say if people could disobey it.

The remnants of Humanity set in 2601, 500 years after an alien attack on Terra forced Mankind to flee the planet.

• Loosely based off of several sci fi anime shows, some examples are; Code Geass, Aldnoah Zero and Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Whitemoreans whenever a new War Campaign is launched - POV: You're Whitemorean and see a alien

Whitemore
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Whitemore » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:01 pm

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:
Welcome to the Middle East. to the region of the world where all crimes where alcohol is prohibited.The prohibitionist mentality needs to break its chains. don't touch my cigarette, my marijuana, my alcohol

Sorry, but, I don't care where you're from. WORLDWIDE PROHIBITION.

Ayytaly
Minister

Founded: Feb 08, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ayytaly » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:01 pm

For those who are interested

How Vodka ruined Russia
Signatures are the obnoxious car bumper stickers of the internet. Also, Rojava did nothing right.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General