NATION

PASSWORD

[ABANDONED FOR NOW] An Alliterative Ailment

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Big Boyz
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 27, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

[ABANDONED FOR NOW] An Alliterative Ailment

Postby Big Boyz » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:41 am

I've never drafted an issue before, but I thought I would give it a shot for the contest. I don't think anything like this has been written before, but I would appreciate a check for plagiarism. All feedback is welcome and encouraged!

[title]An Alliterative Ailment

While munching on some marmalade this morning, you were perfectly puzzled and perplexed to find that, at some point in the night, a strange and surprising sickness had somehow secured a stranglehold over @@NAME@@, causing all denizens, diplomats, and do-gooders to speak in an alluring, albeit tiring, alliteration.

1. “This abysmal ailment is absolutely abhorrent” remarks your minister of defense. “What would one do with such a whimsical way of wording? We must minimize the magnitude of our memoranda to circumvent this silly situation. Sure….it….may….be….slow,.....but…..what….is…..the….alternative?”

[effect] Fast-talking @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ speak a mile an hour.

2. Just as you were about to take a sip of tea, your minister of education, being on high alert for any potential educational opportunities, promptly burst through your window. “Every year, our onerous offspring are failing, fumbling, and falling-short of our educational goals. We could truncate the tragedy of this terrible turn-of-events by taking time to voraciously instill a very verbose national vocabulary, consequently clearing communication for our countrymen and cracking this conundrum, without resorting to remedial relations”.

[effect] The verbose @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ vocabulary is very vexing for visitors.

3. Having heard the hubbub, your nephew passes you a piece of paper, apparently deciding to weigh in on the matter. It reads: “Are you kidding me @@LEADER@@? Have you heard how these people talk? There is no way we could possibly learn to communicate effectively on any reasonable time-frame! It’s time to ABANDON spoken language altogether! The only way we can effectively communicate is through written language. Mandate that everyone carries something to write with at all times, and outlaw verbal communication”.

[effect] @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ are oblivious to sarcasm.

4. Clearly concerned about the cause of the crisis, the most prominent @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ psychiatrist, Dr. Drake DeGroot, sends you a sloppily written slice of stationary, which says: "@@LEADER@@, do you realize the potential scientific advancements that this alliterative mania holds for the international community? Psychological epidemics are so rare that they are some of the most under-researched topics in all of modern psychology! Please, we must put more funding towards researching the causes of this outbreak and treating the currently known cases. With these breakthroughs, our scientific program could be the star of @@REGION@@! Oh, and a little psychotherapy never hurt anybody, right?"

[effect] Scientists scrutinize studies and seek stardom while citizens search for psychiatric support.

[title]An Alliterative Ailment

While munching on some marmalade this morning, you were perfectly puzzled and perplexed to find that, at some point in the night, a strange and surprising sickness had somehow secured a stranglehold over @@NAME@@, causing all denizens, diplomats, and do-gooders to speak in an alluring, albeit tiring, alliteration.

1. “This abysmal ailment is absolutely abhorrent” remarks your minister of defense. “What would one do with such a whimsical way of wording? We must minimize the magnitude of our memoranda to circumvent this silly situation. Sure….it….may….be….slow,.....but…..what….is…..the….alternative?”

[effect] Fast-talking @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ speak a mile an hour.

2. Just as you were about to take a sip of tea, your minister of education, being on high alert for any potential educational opportunities, promptly burst through your window. “Every year, our onerous offspring are failing, fumbling, and falling-short of our educational goals. We could truncate the tragedy of this terrible turn-of-events by taking time to voraciously instill a very verbose national vocabulary, consequently clearing communication for our countrymen and cracking this conundrum, without resorting to remedial relations”.

[effect] The verbose @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ vocabulary is very vexing for visitors.

3. Having heard the hubbub, your nephew gives you a piece of paper, apparently deciding to weigh in on the matter. It reads: “Are you kidding me @@LEADER@@? Have you heard how these people talk? There is no way we could possibly learn to communicate effectively on any reasonable time-frame! It’s time to ABANDON spoken language altogether! The only way we can effectively communicate is through written language. Mandate that everyone carries something to write with at all times, and outlaw verbal communication”.
Last edited by Big Boyz on Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:51 am, edited 9 times in total.
Osiris
Imyr Muaat of The Sekhmet Legion,
Vizier of WA Affairs, Sub-Vizier of Gameside Affairs
The Black Hawks
Major, Overseer of Blade
(she/her)

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:34 pm

Big Boyz wrote:While munching on some marmalade this morning, you were perfectly puzzled and perplexed to find that, at some point in the night, a strange and surprising sickness had somehow secured a stranglehold over @@NATION@@, causing all denizens, diplomats, and do-gooders to speak in an alluring, albeit tiring, alliteration.
Uh... issues are supposed to be somewhat realistic.

Big Boyz
Spokesperson

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Big Boyz » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:36 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Big Boyz wrote:While munching on some marmalade this morning, you were perfectly puzzled and perplexed to find that, at some point in the night, a strange and surprising sickness had somehow secured a stranglehold over @@NATION@@, causing all denizens, diplomats, and do-gooders to speak in an alluring, albeit tiring, alliteration.
Uh... issues are supposed to be somewhat realistic.

Psychological plagues can happen they're just not very common :p.
Osiris
The Black Hawks
Major, Overseer of Blade
(she/her)

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:56 am

I really like the creativity of this one, as the draft itself really left me impressed. After I read it, I did have some concerns about the realism of this issue, and whether that would be a problem. But...

There are a number of issues in NS that deal with sometimes odd or unusual situations. I think this one could fit into that category as a bit of a spoof.

However, there is one glaring issue with the narrative itself that has left me somewhat bemused: why is no one trying to figure out what is causing this ailment, and how to cure it? I think the third option could be tweaked to he about a scientist that also writes on a paper, but instead says something of the lines of "what the heck are you talking about people, this is a national emergency, not a curiosity! We need to find out what causes it and cure it". If you could devise a reason why the ailment is being caused, that would help the issue gain strength regarding the question of realism :)

A very interesting and well-written first draft, and I'm looking forward to see where you take this draft further!
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017

Postby Candensia » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:27 am

I think this draft is *interesting*, and clearly displays that you have talent for writing. However, in my opinion, it's probably too much of a stretch to work, and I share Trotterdam's verisimilitude concerns.

I think you'd be much better off writing on a more tangible topic, especially for your contest entry. With a more solid foundation, I think you certainly have what it takes to write an issue.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Big Boyz
Spokesperson

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Big Boyz » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:21 am

Daarwyrth wrote:I really like the creativity of this one, as the draft itself really left me impressed. After I read it, I did have some concerns about the realism of this issue, and whether that would be a problem. But...

There are a number of issues in NS that deal with sometimes odd or unusual situations. I think this one could fit into that category as a bit of a spoof.

However, there is one glaring issue with the narrative itself that has left me somewhat bemused: why is no one trying to figure out what is causing this ailment, and how to cure it? I think the third option could be tweaked to he about a scientist that also writes on a paper, but instead says something of the lines of "what the heck are you talking about people, this is a national emergency, not a curiosity! We need to find out what causes it and cure it". If you could devise a reason why the ailment is being caused, that would help the issue gain strength regarding the question of realism :)

A very interesting and well-written first draft, and I'm looking forward to see where you take this draft further!

Thanks for the feedback! I've added another option about scientific research (although the doctor is a little bit more concerned with international fame than curing the masses :p ).
Osiris
The Black Hawks
Major, Overseer of Blade
(she/her)

Big Boyz
Spokesperson

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Big Boyz » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:26 am

Candensia wrote:I think this draft is *interesting*, and clearly displays that you have talent for writing. However, in my opinion, it's probably too much of a stretch to work, and I share Trotterdam's verisimilitude concerns.

I think you'd be much better off writing on a more tangible topic, especially for your contest entry. With a more solid foundation, I think you certainly have what it takes to write an issue.

Thanks for the feedback! I've added another option that might make this slightly more realistic, but maybe you have a point about the contest. I'll keep it in mind. I might change this from a contest entry to a regular issue draft at some point if I can come up with something that would be better ;) .
Osiris
The Black Hawks
Major, Overseer of Blade
(she/her)

Altradical
Civil Servant

Founded: May 23, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Altradical » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:40 am

Big Boyz wrote:3. Having heard the discussion at hand, your nephew gives you a piece of paper, apparently deciding to weigh in on the matter. “Are you kidding me @@LEADER@@? [...]"

This doesn't make it clear that it's written on the paper. At first I thought he was speaking, but then I noticed there wasn't as much alliteration.

Big Boyz wrote:A shock a day keeps the psychiatrist away!

Sorry, I don't get it. Is it implying the psychiatrist uses shock as "therapy"? Then if someone were to get shocked, the psychiatrist is already there, not away.

Big Boyz
Spokesperson

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Big Boyz » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:42 am

Altradical wrote:
Big Boyz wrote:3. Having heard the discussion at hand, your nephew gives you a piece of paper, apparently deciding to weigh in on the matter. “Are you kidding me @@LEADER@@? [...]"

This doesn't make it clear that it's written on the paper. At first I thought he was speaking, but then I noticed there wasn't as much alliteration.

Fixed.

Big Boyz wrote:A shock a day keeps the psychiatrist away!

Sorry, I don't get it. Is it implying the psychiatrist uses shock as "therapy"? Then if someone were to get shocked, the psychiatrist is already there, not away.

Changed.

Thanks
Osiris
The Black Hawks
Major, Overseer of Blade
(she/her)

Altradical
Civil Servant

Founded: May 23, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Altradical » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:29 am

[effect] Scientists scrutinize studies and seek stardom, while citizens search for psychiatric support.

Effects can't have commas

Big Boyz
Spokesperson

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Big Boyz » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:28 pm

Altradical wrote:
[effect] Scientists scrutinize studies and seek stardom, while citizens search for psychiatric support.

Effects can't have commas

Really? Ok, I've taken out the comma.
Osiris
The Black Hawks
Major, Overseer of Blade
(she/her)

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:41 am

Candensia wrote:I think this draft is *interesting*, and clearly displays that you have talent for writing. However, in my opinion, it's probably too much of a stretch to work, and I share Trotterdam's verisimilitude concerns.

^This is more or less how I feel.

It is interesting. I wasn't expecting much when I saw the title of the thread, and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the writing. I think you have a lot of potential as an author, OP.

But I have reservations about this specific draft. I think it is too unrealistic. There are some really interesting conditions that can affect people's speech on an individual basis, like people who begin speaking in unusual accents after a brain injury -- but that would not happen on a national scale. Even if there was some type of ergot or brain virus or something that changed people's speech patterns, how did it infect the whole nation at the same time? And we're not looking for issues about pandemics, even if they have completely different symptoms from COVID.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:34 am

More to the point, speaking in alliteration is something deliberate that takes quite a bit of thought to do well (and most examples of alliteration are from people spending some time looking up the right words to type, optionally later reading off from a script if it needs to be spoken out loud, not real-time conversation). It's not something you're going to do when confused and delirious due to brain damage.

Big Boyz
Spokesperson

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Big Boyz » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:50 am

USS Monitor wrote:

^This is more or less how I feel.

It is interesting. I wasn't expecting much when I saw the title of the thread, and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the writing. I think you have a lot of potential as an author, OP.

But I have reservations about this specific draft. I think it is too unrealistic. There are some really interesting conditions that can affect people's speech on an individual basis, like people who begin speaking in unusual accents after a brain injury -- but that would not happen on a national scale. Even if there was some type of ergot or brain virus or something that changed people's speech patterns, how did it infect the whole nation at the same time? And we're not looking for issues about pandemics, even if they have completely different symptoms from COVID.

Ok, I'll abandon the draft for now to brainstorm other ideas. I might pick it up at a later date, but it won't be an entry in the issues contest.
Osiris
The Black Hawks
Major, Overseer of Blade
(she/her)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?