NATION

PASSWORD

1807 children found buried at former Canadian schools

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
Resilient Acceleration
Diplomat
 
Posts: 949
Founded: Sep 23, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

1807 children found buried at former Canadian schools

Postby Resilient Acceleration » Sun May 30, 2021 1:07 am

The remains of 215 children, some as young as three years old, were found at the site of a former residential school for indigenous children, a discovery Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau described as heartbreaking on Friday.

The children were students at the Kamloops Indian Residential School in British Columbia that closed in 1978, according to the Tk'emlúps te Secwépemc Nation, which said the remains were found with the help of a ground penetrating radar specialist.

"We had a knowing in our community that we were able to verify," Tk'emlúps te Secwépemc Chief Rosanne Casimir said in a statement. "At this time, we have more questions than answers."

Canada's residential school system, which forcibly separated indigenous children from their families, constituted "cultural genocide," a six-year investigation into the now-defunct system found in 2015.

The report documented horrific physical abuse, rape, malnutrition and other atrocities suffered by many of the 150,000 children who attended the schools, typically run by Christian churches on behalf of Ottawa from the 1840s to the 1990s.

It found more than 4,100 children died while attending residential school. The deaths of the 215 children buried in the grounds of what was once Canada's largest residential school are believed to not have been included in that figure and appear to have been undocumented until the discovery. https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/ ... 021-05-28/

Well this was news, and it is certainly gruesome as hell. Based on gross calculation, the death rate of the schools (if you can call it so) is 2.7%, which is more than the COVID lethality rate in the US. And I guess you can say that the event happened quite recently, i.e. in contemporary history. Some of the "survivors" of the school are still alive.

For decades, McLeod says he and former students like him would wonder what had happened to friends and classmates.

"Sometimes people didn't come back, we were happy for them, we thought they ran away, not knowing if they did or whatever happened to them," said McLeod, who now serves as chief of British Columbia's Upper Nicola band.

"There were discussions that this may have happened, that they may have passed," he says adding, "What I realized yesterday was how strong I was, as a little boy, how strong I was to be here today, because I know that a lot of people didn't go home."

McLeod says the residential school system scarred generations in his family and the abuse he suffered at the school in Kamloops terrorized him, his family and his classmates.

"The abuse that happened to me was physical, yes, was sexual, yes, and in 1966 I was a person that didn't want to live anymore, it changed me," said McLeod, comparing the trauma he suffered to that of a prisoner of war.

He says he entered the school in 1966 along with most of his siblings.

"Seven of us went at the same time, same school that my mum and my dad went to, there wasn't an option, it was a requirement, it was the law. And I can only imagine what my mom and my dad, how they felt, when they dropped some of us there knowing what they experienced at that school," he said. https://edition.cnn.com/2021/05/28/worl ... index.html


I'm not too informed on the Canadian residential schooling system to have a concrete opinion, but I certainly didn't expect cases like this to emerge from places such as Canada, since this looks more like events that usually happen in the late 19th century.

UPDATEs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_ ... gravesites
Last edited by Resilient Acceleration on Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:45 am, edited 5 times in total.

2033.12.21
 TLDR News | Exclusive: GLOBAL DRONE CRISIS! "Hyper-advanced" Chinese military AI design leaked online by unknown groups, Pres. Yang issues warning of "major outbreak of 3D-printed drone swarm terrorist attacks to US civilians and assets" | Secretary Pasca to expand surveillance on all financial activities through pattern recognition AI to curb the supply chain of QAnon and other domestic terror grassroots

A near-future scenario where transhumanist tech barons and their ruthless capitalism are trying to save the planet, emphasis on "try" | Resilient Accelerationism in a nutshell | OOC

User avatar
An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7623
Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Sun May 30, 2021 1:49 am

Horrendous. Was it run by the Catholic Church by any chance?
Everything is intertwinkled

User avatar
Nilokeras
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1707
Founded: Jul 14, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Nilokeras » Sun May 30, 2021 1:51 am

A sad reminder that Canada's self-image of being benevolent multicultural peacekeepers is a facade. For non-Canadians, these residential schools were boarding schools run by religious authorities and the Canadian government between the beginning of Canada and 1997 when the last of them closed that kidnapped First Nations children from their homes on reserves and elsewhere and give them an 'education' explicitly designed to strip them of any Indigenous culture and, in the words of the Victoria Times Colonist, 'prepare them for life in the white man's world'. Abuse and neglect was rampant and utterly unchecked, and children like these 215 people just simply went missing after dying from disease or worse. Survivors went back home or moved into the cities with persistent trauma from their experiences. As has been noted on Twitter and elsewhere by survivors and the families of survivors, every residential school in Canada probably has its own mass graves that are yet to be discovered.

To give you an idea of just how recent and completely swept under the rug this history is in Canada, Bishop JF O'Grady was the principal for the Kamloops Residential School for most of the last decades of its operation until it closed in 1969. One of O'Grady's proteges and a 'Frontier Apostle' was one John Furlong, who served as a missionary and PE teacher in a couple of northern communities in the 70's. He went on to head the vaunted 2010 Vancouver Olympics and wrote a glowing autobiography, which neatly omitted that part of his career. Which was probably a wise move on his part, as the part of his Wikipedia page called 'abuse allegations' demonstrates:

Wikipedia - John Furlong wrote:On September 26, 2012, The Georgia Straight published an article that reported allegations that children in the 1970s were physically and mentally abused while Furlong was a missionary and physical education teacher at Immaculata Catholic School, a residential school, in Burns Lake.[54] The article, by journalist Laura Robinson, was supported by over 45 statements, including eight affidavits.[54] Robinson's response to Furlong's defamation action included additional allegations supported by witness statements that he emotionally, physically, and sexually abused his first wife. A statement from his second wife alleged domestic violence.[55][56][46][57]

Abuse allegations against Furlong have never been heard nor accepted as evidence in court.[58][59] Three former students, who were not part of the Georgia Straight story, alleged that Furlong sexually, physically, and verbally abused them.[60][61] In 2013, these three former students filed failed civil lawsuits against Furlong, the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Vancouver, the Roman Catholic Prince George Diocese, and the Catholic Independent Schools Diocese of Prince George.[61][62][63]

Based on changes in information from interviews by the RCMP with one of the three accusers, a BC Supreme Court Judge incorrectly concluded that the woman had not attended the school where she had accused Furlong of abuse.[64] In fact, the woman had attended the school during Furlong's tenure according to documents presented at a later trial (Robinson v. Furlong).[65] A second woman dropped her civil case after it was deemed unfounded.[64] The third plaintiff, a man, was found to have already received $120,822 in compensation for a claim while attending a different school at the same period as his claim against Furlong.[64] In fact, this man had attended Immaculata during Furlong's tenure.[65]

...

Questions have been raised about the relationship between Furlong and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) officers who investigated abuse allegations against him. Some of these senior officers had worked closely with Furlong on Olympic security holding senior or oversight positions in security for the 2010 games in Vancouver.[66] These relationships were not revealed and these officers did not recuse themselves from the investigation.[67]

In a December 2016 complaint to the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal, six Northern British Columbia First Nations members formally accused the federal government and RCMP of racial and ethnic discrimination in mishandling their allegations that John Furlong abused them.[68]


He's still a member in good standing of Vancouver society and regularly hobnobs with people in the BC and federal government. He's also probably one of the more well documented abusers in the residential school system - the Canadian federal government under Stephen Harper apologized for the residential school system in 2008 and launched the Truth and Reconciliation Commission to document the history of these schools, hear testimony from survivors and release recommendations to Canadian society in order to begin the process of reconciliation. At least 3 billion dollars in compensation have been given out to survivors through this process, though very few criminal charges have been laid or investigations launched against people like Furlong. This hasn't been helped by the Canadian government's intransigence on the subject, as they've fought residential school survivors in court as recently as 2020 in trying to prevent the release or use of the databases of abuse and abusers created by the government as it would 'compromise its litigation privilege'. One judge argued too against the release of the data, saying 'just as the history of the Holocaust will not be different for not knowing which was worse, Auschwitz or Treblinka, I do not see how truth and reconciliation will be advanced by reports identifying which school was the worst of the worst or ranking schools in the order of which school had more student-on-student sexual assaults than staff sexual assaults'.

So yeah. As much as we'd like to think otherwise, the Canadian state and society is still very complicit in this genocide and its continuing minimization and papering over.

User avatar
The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 52887
Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun May 30, 2021 1:53 am

Fucking horrible.
An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:Horrendous. Was it run by the Catholic Church by any chance?

Yeah was gona ask, it reminds me a lot of what happened in Ireland with Catholic run Mother and Baby homes where they found hundreds of dead children buried under one at Tuam.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Sun May 30, 2021 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Alliance Party / Leftwinger / Atheist
Miniature Painting, Cheese, Curry, Tanks and English Gals are my Kryptonite


I never thought in terms of being a leader. I thought very simply in terms of helping people’ - John Hume


User avatar
Engadine Mcdonalds 1997
Envoy
 
Posts: 238
Founded: Jan 21, 2021
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Engadine Mcdonalds 1997 » Sun May 30, 2021 1:53 am

Absolutely deplorable what happened here, a true crime against humanity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUhNFSyHGyE&t=1662s&ab_channel=friendlyjordies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXtq4a8829g&t=1s

"I’ll tell you about the Greens. You know what the Greens are? They are a bunch of opportunists and trots hiding behind a gum tree trying to pretend they’re the Labor Party"- Paul Keating

Proud anti-ideologist and chief architect of Jordan Shanks Thought

GAS THE FASH

User avatar
Nakena
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15012
Founded: May 06, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Nakena » Sun May 30, 2021 1:55 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Fucking horrible.
An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:Horrendous. Was it run by the Catholic Church by any chance?

Yeah was gona ask, it reminds me a lot of what happened in Ireland with Catholic run Mother and Baby homes where they found hundreds of dead children buried under one at Tuam.


It does appears so: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamloops_ ... ol#History

User avatar
Nilokeras
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1707
Founded: Jul 14, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Nilokeras » Sun May 30, 2021 2:00 am

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:Horrendous. Was it run by the Catholic Church by any chance?


Administered in some cases by the Catholic Church, but in a program run by the state. It was the RCMP that showed up in reserves to take the children of people who refused to enroll their children in the residential schools away by force.

User avatar
Kowani
Post Czar
 
Posts: 41703
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Sun May 30, 2021 2:14 am

Identification efforts underway

An Indigenous Canadian group announced plans Saturday to identify the remains of 215 children, some as young as three, found buried at the site of a former residential school, per CBC News. [...]Tk'emlups te Secwépemc First Nation Chief Rosanne Casimir said in a statement announcing the discovery Thursday, "To our knowledge, these missing children are undocumented deaths."

She said in a later statement that more bodies could be uncovered at the Catholic Church-run Kamloops Indian Residential School, which closed in 1978, because not all areas of the grounds had been searched.
Assembly of First Nations regional chief Terry Teegee told the CBC that forensic experts would join the BC Coroners Service and the Royal B.C. Museum for the identification.



godfuckingdamnit
Sex is great. But have you tried data visualizations of partisan spatial segregation?
Minutes since Gavin Newsom signed SB9 and SB10 and I already see the bulldozers rolling into the single family neighborhoods outside my window, homeowners being forced to live in towers by hair gelled Gavintroopers
Updating Trackers! How Congress votes, what Americans believe, and world leader approvals
Headline of the day: California abolishes single-family zoning

User avatar
SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13097
Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Sun May 30, 2021 2:15 am

That's terrible, though I'm not sure what there is to discuss here unless someone wants to shoehorn this into contemporary politics.

Nilokeras wrote:
So yeah. As much as we'd like to think otherwise, the Canadian state and society is still very complicit in this genocide and its continuing minimization and papering over.


Right on cue :roll:
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Sun May 30, 2021 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

User avatar
Jarvikan
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 447
Founded: Dec 24, 2020
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Jarvikan » Sun May 30, 2021 2:16 am

Fucking hell…

User avatar
Nilokeras
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1707
Founded: Jul 14, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Nilokeras » Sun May 30, 2021 2:18 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:That's terrible, though I'm not sure what there is to discuss here unless someone wants to shoehorn this into contemporary politics.

Nilokeras wrote:
So yeah. As much as we'd like to think otherwise, the Canadian state and society is still very complicit in this genocide and its continuing minimization and papering over.


Right on cue :roll:


I encourage you to reread that post, particularly the bits where I point out exactly why the Canadian government and society is complicit in this

User avatar
Cereskia
Envoy
 
Posts: 318
Founded: Apr 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Cereskia » Sun May 30, 2021 2:25 am

Europeans are ruthless.
About my Nation:
Overview | History | Geography | Politics | Military |Economy | International

GCRs suck, Epluribus Unum is an Overzealous Americanist, Hitler is Shitler, aaaaąăåäãâáàă
sample text
Overamericanism in the forums!!

User avatar
Albrenia
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16463
Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Albrenia » Sun May 30, 2021 2:50 am

Cereskia wrote:Europeans are ruthless.


Canadians are European now?

On topic though, holy shit this is terrible.

User avatar
Nilokeras
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1707
Founded: Jul 14, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Nilokeras » Sun May 30, 2021 2:59 am

And lets not forget that despite what people like SD who have bizarre axes to grind would insist this is not something that just stopped and that the Canadian government has now completed its duty by saying sorry and filling out cheques. In many ways the two-plank system of Canadian colonial governance and Indigenous genocide never disappeared, it just changed roles. The first plank was and is the dispossession of First Nations from their territories and segregation into purposefully limited reserves that are then starved of resources and attention from the federal and provincial governments. That plank creates poverty, despair and cycles of violence that allow the successor of the residential school system to kick in - the child welfare system.

Macleans wrote:In late January [2017], Indigenous Services Minister Jane Philpott will hold an emergency meeting of First Nations leaders, child-welfare agencies and advocacy groups to confront what she has called a “humanitarian crisis.” Indigenous children are, to put it mildly, overrepresented in Canada’s child-welfare system. In 2016, First Nations, Metis and Inuit youth made up 52 per cent of foster children younger than 14 in Canada, despite representing just eight per cent of that age group, according to Statistics Canada. That’s four points higher than in 2011, reflecting the fact that more Indigenous children have been entering foster care than leaving it. Between 1989 and 2012, Indigenous children have spent more than 66 million nights in foster care—the equivalent of 180,000 years. These national statistics, however, only account for children living in private households. If they included those who live in group homes, shelters or mental health facilities, say advocates, the total would be far higher.

The numbers vary between provinces and territories, but the imbalance applies across the country, and has reached crisis proportions in the West. In Manitoba and Saskatchewan, nearly 90 per cent of children in care are Indigenous. Of the roughly 11,000 in care in Manitoba, according to a 2016-17 provincial government report, nearly 10,000 are Indigenous and nearly 6,000 of those are permanent wards. (Manitoba’s total includes children in foster homes, places of safety, group facilities, independent living and other types of care.)

The shocking numbers, and the failure to address them, has pushed this issue to the top of the agenda of Indigenous leaders and activists, who regard it as a vestige of Canada’s discredited strategy of assimilating First Nations children by removing them from their parents’ influence. While most acknowledge that Indigenous kids in many households are at risk, they’re frustrated that the default solution is still to funnel those kids into care rather than confronting the social and economic problems that devastate families.

“It’s truly looking more and more like a second generation of residential school,” Arlen Dumas, grand chief of the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs told APTN in November, articulating a view widely held among First Nations leaders and activists. To debate the present crisis while overlooking the past, these critics say, would be to ignore Canada’s history of abusing and literally prying Indigenous children from their parents’ arms: every federal government since 1867, they note, has carried out policies separating Indigenous children from their families, communities and cultures.


The most blatant example of this echoing of residential schools is the practice of issuing 'birth alerts', common in several provinces and only recently banned in others. A birth alert is when a social worker assigned to a person in poverty or distress notifies the hospital of their concerns around that parent's suitability to have a child, and that when the person's child is born the hospital then notifies the social worker of the birth, commonly resulting in the baby being seized and taken away from their parent and put in the care of the state. This practice often occurs even if a person is not in dangerous conditions or if they've had improvements in their living conditions, and commonly results in parents permanently losing full custody of their children, if not losing them entirely.

The two feed on each other in a vicious cycle - historic and continuing deprivation create the conditions to allow the state to institute surveillance of First Nations communities and populations, and a social welfare system more interested in interventions and the use of force than providing supports swoops in and destroys lives and communities with little accountability.

User avatar
Saiwania
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19584
Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Saiwania » Sun May 30, 2021 3:04 am

Did the residential schools accomplish their intended purpose or not, in terms of converting indigenous Canadians to the national culture of modern Canada? I'd think that it can't prevent discrimination on account of their race/background, but could give an education that'd enable them to live/work in any of Canada's major cities.
Eco-Fascism is the future! I see a ton of potential for it going forward because of climate change. There will be need for a savior to rescue nature and ourselves from ourselves.

User avatar
The Black Forrest
Post Czar
 
Posts: 46569
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Sun May 30, 2021 3:09 am

Saiwania wrote:Did the residential schools accomplish their intended purpose or not, in terms of converting indigenous Canadians to the national culture of modern Canada? I'd think that it can't prevent discrimination on account of their race/background, but could give an education that'd enable them to live/work in any of Canada's major cities.


Eh? What’s that got to do with anything?
Last edited by The Black Forrest on Sun May 30, 2021 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

User avatar
Kowani
Post Czar
 
Posts: 41703
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Sun May 30, 2021 3:14 am

Nilokeras wrote:The most blatant example of this echoing of residential schools is the practice of issuing 'birth alerts', common in several provinces and only recently banned in others. A birth alert is when a social worker assigned to a person in poverty or distress notifies the hospital of their concerns around that parent's suitability to have a child, and that when the person's child is born the hospital then notifies the social worker of the birth, commonly resulting in the baby being seized and taken away from their parent and put in the care of the state. This practice often occurs even if a person is not in dangerous conditions or if they've had improvements in their living conditions, and commonly results in parents permanently losing full custody of their children, if not losing them entirely.

holy shit what the fuck is wrong with canada
Sex is great. But have you tried data visualizations of partisan spatial segregation?
Minutes since Gavin Newsom signed SB9 and SB10 and I already see the bulldozers rolling into the single family neighborhoods outside my window, homeowners being forced to live in towers by hair gelled Gavintroopers
Updating Trackers! How Congress votes, what Americans believe, and world leader approvals
Headline of the day: California abolishes single-family zoning

User avatar
SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13097
Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Sun May 30, 2021 3:25 am

[double post]
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Sun May 30, 2021 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

User avatar
Saiwania
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19584
Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Saiwania » Sun May 30, 2021 3:25 am

The Black Forrest wrote:Eh? What’s that got to do with anything?


I'm perhaps not convinced that the residential schools were any inherently bad thing. For me, it depends on if the objectives of the state were accomplished or not. Any unfortunate incidents that happened are akin to collateral damage from my perspective, not the fault of the schools or curriculum but rather the excesses of individuals or staff.
Eco-Fascism is the future! I see a ton of potential for it going forward because of climate change. There will be need for a savior to rescue nature and ourselves from ourselves.

User avatar
SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13097
Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Sun May 30, 2021 3:25 am

Nilokeras wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:That's terrible, though I'm not sure what there is to discuss here unless someone wants to shoehorn this into contemporary politics.



Right on cue :roll:


I encourage you to reread that post, particularly the bits where I point out exactly why the Canadian government and society is complicit in this


It looks like they're defending themselves in court. The real question is why they're against the natives in court in the first place; if the natives want the release of records for genuine historical transparency rather then ethno-state politics then I'll concede that it's still relevant and Canada shouldn't be trying to cover this up by going to court against its own people.

Nilokeras wrote:.The first plank was and is the dispossession of First Nations from their territories and segregation into purposefully limited reserves that are then starved of resources and attention from the federal and provincial governments.


Isn't the whole point of their little ethno-state to be special and independent from the ebil white man? Why would they want federal funds then? They can’t have their cake and eat it.
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Sun May 30, 2021 3:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

User avatar
Samudera Darussalam
Senator
 
Posts: 4057
Founded: Aug 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Sun May 30, 2021 3:28 am

Reading that article makes me remember of Australia's Stolen Generation about children being taken by force from their parents to be educated as "White people". I mean, no offence, but even if I've read something about Canada's horrible past with its Native American population, reading that news is still shocking.

Nilokeras wrote:And lets not forget that despite what people like SD who have bizarre axes to grind would insist this is not something that just stopped and that the Canadian government has now completed its duty by saying sorry and filling out cheques. In many ways the two-plank system of Canadian colonial governance and Indigenous genocide never disappeared, it just changed roles. The first plank was and is the dispossession of First Nations from their territories and segregation into purposefully limited reserves that are then starved of resources and attention from the federal and provincial governments. That plank creates poverty, despair and cycles of violence that allow the successor of the residential school system to kick in - the child welfare system.

Macleans wrote:In late January [2017], Indigenous Services Minister Jane Philpott will hold an emergency meeting of First Nations leaders, child-welfare agencies and advocacy groups to confront what she has called a “humanitarian crisis.” Indigenous children are, to put it mildly, overrepresented in Canada’s child-welfare system. In 2016, First Nations, Metis and Inuit youth made up 52 per cent of foster children younger than 14 in Canada, despite representing just eight per cent of that age group, according to Statistics Canada. That’s four points higher than in 2011, reflecting the fact that more Indigenous children have been entering foster care than leaving it. Between 1989 and 2012, Indigenous children have spent more than 66 million nights in foster care—the equivalent of 180,000 years. These national statistics, however, only account for children living in private households. If they included those who live in group homes, shelters or mental health facilities, say advocates, the total would be far higher.

The numbers vary between provinces and territories, but the imbalance applies across the country, and has reached crisis proportions in the West. In Manitoba and Saskatchewan, nearly 90 per cent of children in care are Indigenous. Of the roughly 11,000 in care in Manitoba, according to a 2016-17 provincial government report, nearly 10,000 are Indigenous and nearly 6,000 of those are permanent wards. (Manitoba’s total includes children in foster homes, places of safety, group facilities, independent living and other types of care.)

The shocking numbers, and the failure to address them, has pushed this issue to the top of the agenda of Indigenous leaders and activists, who regard it as a vestige of Canada’s discredited strategy of assimilating First Nations children by removing them from their parents’ influence. While most acknowledge that Indigenous kids in many households are at risk, they’re frustrated that the default solution is still to funnel those kids into care rather than confronting the social and economic problems that devastate families.

“It’s truly looking more and more like a second generation of residential school,” Arlen Dumas, grand chief of the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs told APTN in November, articulating a view widely held among First Nations leaders and activists. To debate the present crisis while overlooking the past, these critics say, would be to ignore Canada’s history of abusing and literally prying Indigenous children from their parents’ arms: every federal government since 1867, they note, has carried out policies separating Indigenous children from their families, communities and cultures.


The most blatant example of this echoing of residential schools is the practice of issuing 'birth alerts', common in several provinces and only recently banned in others. A birth alert is when a social worker assigned to a person in poverty or distress notifies the hospital of their concerns around that parent's suitability to have a child, and that when the person's child is born the hospital then notifies the social worker of the birth, commonly resulting in the baby being seized and taken away from their parent and put in the care of the state. This practice often occurs even if a person is not in dangerous conditions or if they've had improvements in their living conditions, and commonly results in parents permanently losing full custody of their children, if not losing them entirely.

The two feed on each other in a vicious cycle - historic and continuing deprivation create the conditions to allow the state to institute surveillance of First Nations communities and populations, and a social welfare system more interested in interventions and the use of force than providing supports swoops in and destroys lives and communities with little accountability.

That's horrible.
Last edited by Samudera Darussalam on Sun May 30, 2021 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
USS Monitor
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 29890
Founded: Jul 01, 2015
19th Century Iron Steamship

Postby USS Monitor » Sun May 30, 2021 3:36 am

Well, this thread was depressing to read.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
NationStates issues editors may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

User avatar
Picairn
Senator
 
Posts: 4653
Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Picairn » Sun May 30, 2021 3:53 am

The families of the children deserve compensation, and the perpetrators should be brought to justice.
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Relations
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Albrenia wrote:With great power comes great mockability.

Proctopeo wrote:I'm completely right and you know it.

Moralityland wrote:big corporations allied with the communist elite
Center-left liberal, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
Listen here Jack, we're going to destroy malarkey.
♔ The Empire of Picairn ♔
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
✵ Certified brunch-loving liberal and resident optimist of NSG. I'm male. All Hail Biden!

User avatar
Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14813
Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Sun May 30, 2021 6:07 am

What was all that bullshit I was hearing recently about how Canada is so much better than America? Canada not only treated its native people poorly but continues to do so and allegedly they're much more liberal and tolerant than us and have always been.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

User avatar
The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 15143
Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun May 30, 2021 6:10 am

Those poor children. :(

The survivors and families of the residential 'schools' for indigenous children, wherever they were in the world, should be compensated for the harm they suffered.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sun May 30, 2021 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chan Island, Conservative Republic Of Huang, Google [Bot], Heloin, Herb Garden, Lysset, Majestic-12 [Bot], Novus America, Saiwania, St Robin, The King Isle, The New California Republic, Tinhampton, Totalitarian Missouri, Umbratellus, Victorious Decepticons, Xmara

Advertisement

Remove ads