NATION

PASSWORD

Can we add sliders or checkboxes?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
United Nova Terra
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 24, 2021
Ex-Nation

Can we add sliders or checkboxes?

Postby United Nova Terra » Tue May 18, 2021 2:04 pm

I understand the nation roleplay side of things may be a bit on the sparser side compared to the forums; but I've recently rejoined after years of being away and I'm happy to see there have been many improvements to the roleplaying aspect.

I was hoping perhaps there might be an option for sliders or checkboxes to indicate government focus or spending. While having effects related to the economy, political issues, etc. are all nice; I was wondering if maybe instead of waiting for an issue to, say, tell me what my nation's stance on abortion or euthanasia is; I could check a box or have a slider maybe on a spectrum of "legal, mostly legal, somewhat legal, rarely legal, illegal," and in regards to the different sectors of industry, I would like to, say, grow my agricultural sector, but I get the feeling event with 5 issues a day; I'll be waiting a while before I get an even that will increase my agricultural sector.

Speaking of which, I'd imagine there should be some mechanic tied to the abortion issue and euthanasia and population size.

I've also noticed that there tends to be what I can only describe as attrition in certain stats. You have one big issue that will shoot you high in something, say, religiousness (that seems to be 'in' with the theme of this post) but over time over many successive issues, you'll slowly decrease in it until you get an issue where you have to choose if you want to stop the attrition in a category or if you want to prioritize another category. Hard issues are one thing, but it seems to be an odd trade-off sometimes and it can lead to hard crashes in certain sectors.

If it's possible, I think adding a few sliders or checkboxes on basic "big name" issues, including taxes and possibly sector spending sliders (based on being 100% of the budget) that might allow better roleplay. You can combat the attrition effect in some areas and have issues take up sufficient space while also allowing for a more unique roleplaying while allowing for niche government types. Progress can be slow and steady, and issues can account for large sudden changes.

TL;DR
Can we add sliders or checkboxes for important subjects (abortion, euthanasia, state religion, etc.), taxes (<1% - >99%), and sector spending (out of 100% of the budget, which gets a bigger slice of the pie) that will lead to steady increases or decreases in trendline areas and have issues account for the larger shifts?
Last edited by United Nova Terra on Tue May 18, 2021 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aleisynium
Lobbyist

Founded: May 12, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Aleisynium » Tue May 18, 2021 2:28 pm

That would be contrary to the principle of “micromanagement is a dirty word”. Plus, stat junkies would abuse this to propel themselves up the scales.

The Unified Missourtama States
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Unified Missourtama States » Tue May 18, 2021 2:47 pm

No. That completely destroys the point of issues, issues are for deciding spending and taxation and freedoms. I recommend you don't use NationStates stats in realistic roleplays, most roleplayers do not.
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
" (W. B. Yeats)

Return to Technical