NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Taking Out the Trash

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Taking Out the Trash

Postby Cretox State » Sat May 15, 2021 10:20 am

Taking out the Trash

Validity: All.

Description
Ridiculously bumbling, dangerously inept, and surrounded by political heavyweights: your Deputy Minister of Sanitation and Human Infrastructure Technologies has managed to both consistently sabotage your government and be next to impossible for your loyal associates to get rid of. The problem came to a head during a state dinner last night, when he "accidentally" doused you with a glass of vintage jus de pomme.

Option 1
"People love transparency," hisses your Minister of Whispers in an off-the-books meeting. "If you start a massive government transparency and accountability initiative, that'd be the perfect cover to release records that just so happen to show our good friend intentionally sabotaging your administration. Then his buddies are sure to abandon him, and the public will practically be screaming for his resignation."

Effect: government officials who talk in their sleep wake up to find local newspapers calling them insane

Option 2
"The problem with that is that it could expose our own dirty secrets," says your Minister of Integrity, who's rumored to keep a skeleton in his closet for good luck. "The safest way to handle this is if he resigns himself. So that's what we'll do- we'll make his job such a nightmare that he won't want to keep it. Have you ever used superglue before?"

Effect: recent developments in the Sanitation Ministry have left a bad stench in the halls of government

Option 3
"Why don't you just talk to him?" asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Sanitation and Human Infrastructure Technologies and one of your biggest rivals. "Maybe that potato incident was just an accident. Maybe he didn't mean to burn that important treaty. You won't know unless you sit down and have a candid discussion about your observations. If you don't like what he says, you should do the honest thing and just fire him openly."

Effect: @@LEADER@@'s bodyguards chase down assassins to offer them dinner invitations

Option 4
"It would be such a shame if an unfortunate accident befell the poor Deputy Minister," suggests secret agent Junk Bonds, who was declared dead months ago. "I heard that you're making a big speech at Violetstone National Park in a few weeks. Maybe you could give the speech overlooking the active volcano there. It would be so unfortunate if part of the platform collapsed as he's standing on it, don't you think?"

Effect: government officials are pumiced for poor performance
Last edited by Cretox State on Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:19 pm, edited 6 times in total.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Sat May 15, 2021 10:22 am

Taking out the Trash

Validity: All.

Description
Your Sanitation Minister's long history of attempting to undermine you came to a head during a state dinner last night, where he "accidentally" doused you with a glass of vintage jus de pomme. However, the Minister's political connections make his removal from office rather difficult.

Option 1
"People love transparency," hisses your Minister of Whispers in an off-the-books meeting. "If you start a massive government transparency and accountability initiative, that'd be the perfect cover to release records that just so happen to show our good friend sabotaging your administration. Then the public will practically be screaming for his resignation."

Effect: government officials who talk in their sleep wake up to find local newspapers calling them insane

Option 2
"The problem with that is that it could expose our own dirty secrets," says your Minister of Integrity, who is rumored to keep a skeleton in his closet for good luck. "The safest way to handle this is if he resigns himself. So that's what we'll do- we'll make his job such a nightmare that he won't want to keep it. Have you ever used superglue before?"

Effect: recent developments in the Sanitation Ministry have left a bad stench in the halls of government

Option 3
"Why don't you just talk to him?" asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, your biggest rival's personal assistant. "Maybe that potato incident was just an accident. Maybe he didn't mean to burn that press briefing while laughing at you. You won't know unless you just sit down and have a candid discussion about your observations. Open discourse is always better than rumors and conjecture, after all."

Effect: @@LEADER@@'s bodyguards chase down assassins to offer them dinner invitations

Option 4
"It would be such a shame if an unfortunate accident befell the poor Minister," suggests secret agent Junk Bonds, who was declared dead months ago. "I heard that you're making a speech at Violetstone National Park in a few weeks. Maybe you could give the speech overlooking the active volcano there. It would be so unfortunate if a part of the platform collapsed as he's standing on it, don't you think?"

Effect: government officials are pumiced for poor performance
Last edited by Cretox State on Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sat May 15, 2021 12:36 pm

Sinister, I like it. There is one concern I have though.

The issue premise is different, yet I feel it comes a little close to Issue #913 "Couped Up", which also deals with a minister that you can't agree with. It's true that the setting of 913 is distinct from your issue draft here, but the core of the idea seems to get a little close.

Yet admittedly, I do really like the way this draft is written, and, imo, the overlap is small enough for both to coexist. Just wanted to make you aware of 913 :)
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sat May 15, 2021 6:05 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:Sinister, I like it. There is one concern I have though.

The issue premise is different, yet I feel it comes a little close to Issue #913 "Couped Up", which also deals with a minister that you can't agree with. It's true that the setting of 913 is distinct from your issue draft here, but the core of the idea seems to get a little close.

Yet admittedly, I do really like the way this draft is written, and, imo, the overlap is small enough for both to coexist. Just wanted to make you aware of 913 :)

I think "your minister was plotting an actual coup" and "your minister is annoying and hard to get rid of" are different enough. If anything, you could continue with this draft, but make it more ambiguous whether the minister is undermining you intentionally or if he is just not the sharpest tool in the shed.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Sacara » Mon May 24, 2021 10:27 pm

Hi Cretox! I thoroughly enjoyed this draft after reading through it.

My only concern is the second sentence of the description. It is assumed that @@LEADER@@ has the capacity to do, well, basically anything. I love the premise of the issue, but I don't like the idea of giving the notion that there are things @@LEADER@@ cannot do.

Also, I hate to say it, but I had to google what jus de pomme is. :blink:
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat May 29, 2021 4:07 am

Wouldn't a sanitation commissioner be a local government ring? Even in nations with the most centralised government s imaginable, I'd imagine that even they would relegate garbage collection to some lower level of authority rather than the national government. That, unless of coarse, nation is a city state
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Cretox State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:17 pm

Sacara wrote:Hi Cretox! I thoroughly enjoyed this draft after reading through it.

My only concern is the second sentence of the description. It is assumed that @@LEADER@@ has the capacity to do, well, basically anything. I love the premise of the issue, but I don't like the idea of giving the notion that there are things @@LEADER@@ cannot do.

Also, I hate to say it, but I had to google what jus de pomme is. :blink:

I'm almost a year late, but thanks! I changed the description to say that your underlings are the ones struggling to get rid of him, not necessarily you. The new description plus option 3 should now also imply that the problem isn't so much that you can't get rid of him, just that it may be politically costly for you to do so directly.

USS Monitor wrote:I think "your minister was plotting an actual coup" and "your minister is annoying and hard to get rid of" are different enough. If anything, you could continue with this draft, but make it more ambiguous whether the minister is undermining you intentionally or if he is just not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Good point. The new draft should take care of that.

Australian rePublic wrote:Wouldn't a sanitation commissioner be a local government ring? Even in nations with the most centralised government s imaginable, I'd imagine that even they would relegate garbage collection to some lower level of authority rather than the national government. That, unless of coarse, nation is a city state

Existing issues have more wacky minister positions than I can count, and India has a Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation. On the other hand, "Sanitation and Human Infrastructure Technologies" is both more descriptive and makes for a funny acronym.
Last edited by Cretox State on Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?