NATION

PASSWORD

[ABANDONED] Gifts From Above

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

[ABANDONED] Gifts From Above

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu May 13, 2021 1:27 am

Inspired by the birds nesting on my roof, crapping on my car.

TITLE:
Gifts From Above

VALIDITY:
some environmental protection, some culture

DESCRIPTION:
@@TYPE@@ Square, where marble statues of historic notables look down on a picturesque open space, is well recognised as one of the most notable cultural sites and tourist attractions in @@NAME@@. However, a thick blanket of bird droppings regularly accumulates, leading many to call for nests to be removed from nearby trees and buildings.

OPTION 1
"True beauty is culture, and history," expounds aesthete @@randomname@@, pointing to a statue depicting an 18th century general who was famously hunchbacked and pug-nosed. "But beauty is somewhat marred when layered with faeces. The various Societies of the art world will gladly foot the bill for maintenance of this and other cultural sites, we just need your permission to begin our great work. After all, one cannot make an omelette without breaking a few hundred eggs."
OUTCOME:
the outdoor monument that was thought to be a Chris Ofili modern art installation was actually just a pile of crap

OPTION 2
"If we're talking true beauty, then none can compare with that of nature's avian diversity, fine in form and feather," blathers conservationist @@randomname@@, with an expansive sweep of @@HIS@@ arm indicating three nearby pigeons who between then have a damaged foot, a weird beak, and some sort of disturbing dangling pink growth. "Birds nests must be protected from any interference while being either built or occupied, for the sake of preserving wild bird populations."
OUTCOME:
even on sunny days everybody carries an umbrella

OPTION 3
"So we want to keep corrosive and ugly poop off statues, but also keep birds away?" ponders Logistics Solutions Conceptual Analyst @@randomname@@, whose usual modus operandi includes teambuilding meditations and brainstorming mind maps. "I visualise a new pan-positive approach, utilising everyone's best selves according to OCEAN personality type. Shiny silver reflective banners to elicit fear responses. Daring metal spike patterns on building edges, to deflect non-harmonious aerial approaches, and swathes of UV-stablised polypropylene mesh netting, to create a barrier from firmament-borne threats. Tailored sculptures that evoke the ancient predator-prey response. This is dynamic solution building, people! Let's do this!"
OUTCOME:
fake wooden owls adorn city rooftops
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Thu May 20, 2021 5:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Thu May 13, 2021 1:29 am

Isn't there already an issue about pigeons crapping everywhere?

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Thu May 13, 2021 5:22 am

Baggieland wrote:Isn't there already an issue about pigeons crapping everywhere?
#758.

I guess if you're looking for a new angle, you could look less at dealing with the pigeons themselves and more at cleaning up after them. There's a section of sidewalk near where I live that for some reason seems to get pooped on a lot. It does get regularly cleaned, but not as often as that it gets dirty, which means that it keeps oscillating between being pretty clean and being so encrusted that it's practically like a minefield.

But then, I'm not sure that's quite enough new material to warrant an entire issue. We also have issues about public cleanliness in other contexts.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu May 20, 2021 5:53 am

Oh yes, I'd forgotten that one!

Definitely no room there, will abandon.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Return to Got Issues?