NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED][ISSUE CONTEST] O Fortuna!

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED][ISSUE CONTEST] O Fortuna!

Postby Daarwyrth » Mon May 10, 2021 9:07 am

CURRENT DRAFT:
[Title] O Fortuna!

[Validity] Allows gambling, has national lottery, didn't choose 1321.1

[Description] JACKPOT! It seemed impossible, it seemed unlikely, it seemed as if the odds would not favour you. Yet you, yes, you @@LEADER@@, are the lucky winner of the main cash prize from last night's national lottery, thanks to that lottery ticket your mother had gifted you for Maxxmas! Yet before you could even recover from celebrating this momentous occasion with your family, fortune's favour smiling down upon you made it to the national headlines.

[Option 1] "@@LEADER@@ WINS LOTTERY: A DIRECTED STROKE OF LUCK?" reads the Director of the National Lottery out loud with a heavy sigh. "The optics of this are just too damning. We're being absolutely overwhelmed with angry and accusatory complaints from every imaginable corner! Some of our employees have even been followed home by mobs carrying literal torches and pitchforks. Torches and pitchforks! Who even does that these days... I'm sorry, @@LEADER@@, but you'll have to let us declare this drawing void and redraw a new lottery ticket. And this time, please, don't get one yourself..."

[Effect 1] only thunder has the chance of striking @@LEADER@@ twice

[Option 2] "No, no, just wait a second," says your Chief of Staff, polishing up the mirror that reflects your image. "The optics are bad, but we can turn this into a significant boost of popularity. Accept the prize with all due honours and fanfare, yet from the start declare that the entire sum - and don't you start crying on me now - will be donated to charity. The Wagger Dog Shelter, the Bryce Waine Orphanage, or heck, even the Out of Luck Gambler's Rehab Centre, take your pick! Just practice smiling through pain, and relinquishing your grip on the cheque beforehand."

[Effect 2] feeling like a winner comes at a price

[Option 3] "Did mommy dear put your name on the lottery ticket? No? Good!" says your brother while unceremoniously snatching the unfortunately fortuitous piece of paper from your hand. "Just say that the ticket was mine, and all you'll have to deal with is a few angry stares for a while. You've dealt with worse! This way, our family will be happy, you'll be unhappy, and everything will be as it's supposed to be. And don't worry, if you ever lose your office, your dear, old brother will take care of you..."

[Effect 3] @@LEADER@@'s luck only runs in @@LEADER@@'s family

[Option 4] One of your aides tackles your brother, liberating fortune's favour from his grip. "Why not just do what any other @@DEMONYM@@ would do?" @@HE@@ says with a genuine, sincere smile, while handing you the now slightly battered ticket. "Celebrate! Be happy! Go wild! You won the lottery, go and collect the prize! I've seen you working day-in, day-out for the good of the people. This is your reward, and you have earned it. So go, somewhere far and expensive, and enjoy yourself!"

[Effect 4] @@LEADER@@ can finally stop kneading the dough and roll in it instead

DRAFT 7:
[Title] O Fortuna!

[Description] JACKPOT! It seemed impossible, it seemed unlikely, it seemed as if the odds would not favour you. Yet you, yes, you @@LEADER@@, are the lucky winner of the main cash prize from last night's national lottery, thanks to that lottery ticket your mother had gifted you for Maxxmas! Yet before you could even recover from celebrating this momentous occasion with your family, fortune's favour smiling down upon you made it to the national headlines.

[Option 1] "@@LEADER@@ WINS LOTTERY: A DIRECTED STROKE OF LUCK?" reads the Director of the National Lottery out loud with a heavy sigh. "The optics of this are just too damning. We're being absolutely overwhelmed with angry and accusatory complaints from every imaginable corner! Some of our employees have even been followed home by mobs carrying literal torches and pitchforks. Torches and pitchforks! Who even does that these days... I'm sorry, @@LEADER@@, but you'll have to let us declare this drawing void and redraw a new lottery ticket. And this time, please, don't get one yourself..."

[Option 2] "No, no, just wait a second," says your Chief of Staff, polishing up the mirror that reflects your image. "The optics are bad, but we can turn this into a significant boost of popularity. Accept the prize with all due honours and fanfare, yet from the start declare that the entire sum - and don't you start crying on me now - will be donated to charity. The Wagger Dog Shelter, the Bryce Waine Orphanage, or heck, even the Out of Luck Gambler's Rehab Centre, take your pick! Just practice smiling through pain, and relinquishing your grip on the cheque beforehand."

[Option 3] "Did mommy dear put your name on the lottery ticket? No? Good!" says your brother while unceremoniously snatching the unfortunately fortuitous piece of paper from your hand. "Just say that the ticket was mine, and all you'll have to deal with is a few angry stares for a while. You've dealt with worse! This way, our family will be happy, you'll be unhappy, and everything will be as it's supposed to be. And don't worry, if you ever lose your office, your dear, old brother will take care of you..."

[Option 4] One of your aides tackles your brother, liberating fortune's favour from his grip. "Why not just do what any other @@DEMONYM@@ would do?" @@HE@@ says with a genuine, sincere smile, while handing you the now slightly battered ticket. "Celebrate! Be happy! Go wild! You won the lottery, go and collect the prize! I've seen you working day-in, day-out for the good of the people. This is your reward, and you have earned it. So go, somewhere far and expensive, and enjoy yourself!"

[Effect 4] abolishing wealth tax has come onto the government's agenda all of a sudden

DRAFT 6:
[Title] O Fortuna!

[Description] JACKPOT! It seemed impossible, it seemed unlikely, it seemed as if the odds would not favour you. Yet you, yes, you @@LEADER@@, are the lucky winner of the multi-million @@CURRENCY@@ prize from last night's national lottery, thanks to that lottery ticket your mother had gifted you for Maxxmas! Yet before you could even recover from celebrating this momentous occasion with your family, fortune's favour smiling down upon you made it to the national headlines.

[Option 1] "@@LEADER@@ WINS LOTTERY: A DIRECTED STROKE OF LUCK?" reads the Director of the National Lottery out loud with a heavy sigh. "The optics of this are just too damning. We're being absolutely overwhelmed with angry and accusatory complaints from every corner! Some of our employees have even been followed home by mobs carrying literal torches and pitchforks. Torches and pitchforks! Who even does that these days... I'm sorry, @@LEADER@@, but you'll have to let us declare this drawing void and redraw a new lottery ticket. And this time, please, don't get one yourself..."

[Effect 4] abolishing wealth tax has come onto the government's agenda all of a sudden

DRAFT 5:
[Title] O Fortuna!

[Description] JACKPOT! It seemed impossible, it seemed unlikely, it seemed as if the odds would not favour you. Yet you, yes, you @@LEADER@@, are the lucky winner of the multi-million @@CURRENCY@@ prize from last night's national lottery, thanks to that lottery ticket your mother had gifted you for Maxxmas! Yet before you could even recover from celebrating this momentous occasion with your family, fortune's favour smiling down upon you made it to the national headlines.

[Option 1] "@@LEADER@@ WINS LOTTERY: A DIRECTED STROKE OF LUCK?" reads the Director of the National Lottery out loud with a heavy sigh. "The optics of this are just too damning. We're being overwhelmed with angry phone calls and accusatory social media posts. Some of our employees have even been followed home by mobs carrying literal torches and pitchforks. Torches and pitchforks! Who even does that these days... I'm sorry, @@LEADER@@, but you'll have to let us declare this drawing void and redraw a new lottery ticket. And this time, please, don't get one yourself..."

[Option 3] "Did mom put your name on the lottery ticket? No? Good!" says your brother while unceremoniously snatching the unfortunately fortuitous piece of paper from your hand. "Just say that the ticket was mine, and all you'll have to deal with is a few angry stares for a while. You've dealt with worse! This way, our family will be happy, you'll be unhappy, and everything will be as it's supposed to be! And don't worry, if you ever lose your office, your dear, old brother will take care of you..."

[Option 4] One of your aides tackles your brother, liberating fortune's favour from his grip. "Why not just do what any other @@DEMONYM@@ would do?" @@HE@@ says with a genuine, sincere smile, while handing you the ticket. "Celebrate! Be happy! Go wild! You won the lottery, go and collect the prize! I've seen you working day-in, day-out for the good of the people. This is your reward, and you have earned it. So go, somewhere far and expensive, and enjoy yourself!"

[Effect 4] money can't buy happiness but it can buy off a state debt

DRAFT 4:
[Title] O Fortuna!

[Description] JACKPOT! It seemed impossible, it seemed unlikely, it seemed as if the odds would never favour you. Yet you, yes, you @@LEADER@@, are the lucky winner of the multi-million @@CURRENCY@@ prize from last night's national lottery, thanks to that lottery ticket your mother had gifted you for Maxxmas! Yet before you could even recover from celebrating this momentous occasion with your family, fortune's favour smiling down upon you made it to the national headlines.

[Option 1] "@@LEADER@@ WINS LOTTERY: A DIRECTED STROKE OF LUCK?" reads the Director of the National Lottery out loud with a heavy sigh. "The optics of this are just too damning. We're being overwhelmed with angry phone calls and accusatory social media posts. Some of our employees have even been followed home by mobs carrying literal torches and pitchforks. Torches and pitchforks! Who even does that these days... I'm sorry, @@LEADER@@, but you'll have to let us declare this drawing void and redraw a new lottery ticket. And this time, please, don't get one yourself..."

[Option 2] "No, no, just wait a second," says your Chief of Staff, polishing up the mirror that reflects your image. "The optics are bad, but we can turn this into a significant boost of popularity. Accept the prize with all due honours and fanfare, yet from the start declare that the entire sum, yes, don't you start crying on me now, will be donated to charity. The Wagger Dog Shelter, the Bryce Waine Orphange, or heck, even the Out of Luck Gambler's Rehab Centre, take your pick! Just practice smiling through pain, and relinquishing your grip on the cheque beforehand."

[Effect 2] no one laughs on the other side of their face like @@LEADER@@ does

[Option 3] "Did mom put your name on the lottery ticket? No? Good!" says your brother while unceremoniously snatching the unfortunately fortuitous piece of paper from your hand. "Just say that the ticket was mine, and all you'll have to deal with is a few angry stares for a while. You've dealt with worse! This way, our family will be happy, you'll be unhappy, and everything will be as it's supposed to be! And don't worry, if you ever lose your office, your dear, old brother will take care of you..."

[Option 4] One of your aides tackles your brother, liberating fortune's favour from his grip. "Why not just do what any other @@DEMONYM@@ would do?" @@HE@@ says with a genuine, sincere smile, while handing you the ticket. "Celebrate! Be happy! Go wild! You won the lottery, @@LEADER@@, go and collect the prize! I've seen you working day-in, day-out for the good of the people. This is your reward, and you have earned it. So go, somewhere far and expensive, and enjoy yourself!"

[Effect 4] everything really can be like in the land of milk and honey if you're rich

DRAFT 3:
[Title] O Fortuna!

[Validity] Allows gambling, has national lottery

[Description] JACKPOT! It seemed impossible, it seemed unlikely, it seemed as if the odds would never favour you. Yet you, yes, you @@LEADER@@, are the lucky winner of the multi-million @@CURRENCY@@ prize from last night's national lottery, thanks to that lottery ticket your mother had gifted you for Maxxmas! Yet before you could even recover from celebrating this momentous occasion with your family, fortune's favour smiling down upon you made it to the national headlines.

[Option 2] "No, no, just wait a second," says your Chief of Staff, polishing up the mirror that reflects your image. "The optics are bad, but we can turn this into a significant boost of popularity. Accept the prize with all due honours and fanfare, yet from the start declare that the entire sum, yes, don't you start crying on me now, will be donated to charity. The Wagger Dog Shelter, the Bryce Waine Orphange, or heck, even the Out of Luck Gambler's Rehab Centre, take your pick! Just practice smiling through pain, and relinquishing your grip on the cheque beforehand."

[Option 4] "Why not just do what any other @@DEMONYM@@ would do?" poses one of your aides with a genuine, sincere smile on @@HIS@@ lips, while collecting papers from your desk. "Celebrate! Be happy! Go wild! You won the lottery, @@LEADER@@, go and collect the prize! I've seen you working day-in, day-out for the good of the people. This is your reward, and you have earned it. So go, somewhere far and expensive, and enjoy yourself with your friends, or family!"

[Effect 4] everything really can be like in the land of milk and honey if you're rich

DRAFT 2:
[Title] O Fortuna!

DRAFT 1:
[Title] O Fortuna!

[Description] JACKPOT! It seemed impossible, it seemed unlikely, it seemed as if the odds would never favour you. Yet you, yes, you @@LEADER@@, acquired the lucky ticket that won you the multi-million @@CURRENCY@@ prize in last night's national lottery! Yet before you could even recover from celebrating this momentous occasion with your family, fortune's favour upon you made it to the national headlines.

[Option 1] "@@LEADER@@ WINS LOTTERY: A DIRECTED STROKE OF LUCK?" reads the Director of the National Lottery out loud with a heavy sigh. "The optics of this are just too damning. We're being overwhelmed with angry phone calls and accusatory social media posts. Some of our employees have even been followed home by mobs carrying literal torches and pitchforks. Torches and pitchforks! Who even does that these days... I'm sorry, @@LEADER@@, but you'll have to let us declare this drawing void and redraw a new lottery ticket. And this time, please, don't buy one yourself..."

[Option 3] "Does the lottery ticket have your name on it? No? Good!" says your brother while unceremoniously snatching the unfortunately fortuitous piece of paper from your hand. "Just say that the ticket was mine, and all you'll have to deal with is a few angry stares for a while. You've dealt with worse! This way, our family will be happy, you'll be unhappy, and everything will be as it's supposed to be! And don't worry, if you ever lose your office your dear, old brother will take care of you..."

Last edited by Daarwyrth on Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:42 am, edited 25 times in total.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Mon May 10, 2021 9:09 am

First, it's a player autonomy violation to assume @@LEADER@@ bought a lottery ticket. Second, a head of government is likely to have enough money without needing to win the lottery.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Mon May 10, 2021 9:12 am

Trotterdam wrote:First, it's a player autonomy violation to assume @@LEADER@@ bought a lottery ticket. Second, a head of government is likely to have enough money without needing to win the lottery.

The first comment will have to be addressed, yes, but even if a head of government makes a lot of money, why would that stop them from buying a ticket? Wealthy people buy lottery tickets all the time. Heck, wealthy people even won lotteries here in the Netherlands.

Regarding the player autonomy thing: what if the premise stated the lottery ticket was a gift from someone? People buy each other lottery tickets as a gift all the time.
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Mon May 10, 2021 9:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Mon May 10, 2021 11:00 am

New draft is up that addresses the player autonomy violation! Feedback and commentary is more than welcome, as always :)

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon May 10, 2021 2:31 pm

No option to keep the ticket?

Could easily be argued that rejecting the prize would seem stuck up and arrogant, like "I'm so rich and powerful that a lottery win is meaningless to me". There ought to be an option to accept the prize, which was fairly won, and to go on beach holiday with your best mates.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Mon May 10, 2021 2:43 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:No option to keep the ticket?

Could easily be argued that rejecting the prize would seem stuck up and arrogant, like "I'm so rich and powerful that a lottery win is meaningless to me". There ought to be an option to accept the prize, which was fairly won, and to go on beach holiday with your best mates.

I agree! I like the idea of Leader simply being able to keep it like any other citizen would be able to, and initially I thought to include it, but later reconsidered. Either way, the option is now there in the newest draft!

I felt a really wholesome and kind speaker would be fitting there. Hopefully my intention comes across!
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Mon May 10, 2021 3:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Tue May 11, 2021 3:40 am

New draft is up with a few changes to option 4, to bring it in line with the rest of the options.
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Tue May 11, 2021 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Sunhizria
Attaché

Founded: May 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sunhizria » Tue May 11, 2021 9:50 am

I dislike to ruin the fun of issues writers, especially when I am unable to write any issues, and my draft receive no feedback

but you forgot that : #1321: Who Wants to Know a Millionaire?
option 1, where you decide to keep the privacy of the lotteries winners

in which case, even if Leader win the lottery, their name would be kept private and it would be impossible for his nation to know they won it.

Maybe you should change that validity.
Puppet of Fauzjhia
Main activity: got issues.

Current draft :
Draft 1: A beautiful pest viewtopic.php?f=13&t=501670

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Tue May 11, 2021 10:09 am

Sunhizria wrote:but you forgot that : #1321: Who Wants to Know a Millionaire?

I was thinking of that issue when writing this draft, and had initially thought about making it a follow-up issue to Option 2.

However, it would be a little limiting to the number of nations that could potentially receive the issue. I don't think it's necessary to limit the issue as a follow-up to #1321.2, but I do agree with the suggestion to include "didn't choose #1321.1" into the validity. Good catch!

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Sunhizria
Attaché

Founded: May 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sunhizria » Tue May 11, 2021 2:35 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:
Sunhizria wrote:but you forgot that : #1321: Who Wants to Know a Millionaire?

I was thinking of that issue when writing this draft, and had initially thought about making it a follow-up issue to Option 2.

However, it would be a little limiting to the number of nations that could potentially receive the issue. I don't think it's necessary to limit the issue as a follow-up to #1321.2, but I do agree with the suggestion to include "didn't choose #1321.1" into the validity. Good catch!

it will make no difference because option 3 ban gambling. So, nations that pick 1321.3 cannot receive this issues anyway.
Puppet of Fauzjhia
Main activity: got issues.

Current draft :
Draft 1: A beautiful pest viewtopic.php?f=13&t=501670

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Tue May 11, 2021 2:57 pm

Sunhizria wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:I was thinking of that issue when writing this draft, and had initially thought about making it a follow-up issue to Option 2.

it will make no difference because option 3 ban gambling. So, nations that pick 1321.3 cannot receive this issues anyway.

Which is why there is the "allows gambing" validity, alongside "has national lottery" ;) there's issue No. 371 "Lotto Fever" for example.
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Tue May 11, 2021 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu May 20, 2021 8:16 pm

Any new comments or suggestions? :)

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu May 27, 2021 4:52 pm

Thoughts and comments are welcome!

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Thu May 27, 2021 9:34 pm

I really dig this one! Love the premise, nice execution. A couple of things here and there:

• Description: a lot of personality here! The phrase "it seemed as if the odds would never favour you" makes it seem like @@LEADER@@ has attempted the lottery many times before... not sure if we want to imply that.
  • Option 1: nicely done.
  • Option 2: I would get rid of the "yes" that you interject in the middle of the sentence, as you already used it once in the description. Or remove it from the description and keep it here, up to you. Also, it's spelled orphanage. Not a fan of the effect line on this one.
  • Option 3: well done.
  • Option 4: I don't entirely think the @@LEADER@@ macro is necessary here. Why would the aide be calling the leader by their full name? Also not a fan of the effect line.
Nothing major. Nice work on the draft!
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Fri May 28, 2021 12:25 pm

Sacara wrote:I really dig this one! Love the premise, nice execution. A couple of things here and there:

• Description: a lot of personality here! The phrase "it seemed as if the odds would never favour you" makes it seem like @@LEADER@@ has attempted the lottery many times before... not sure if we want to imply that.
  • Option 1: nicely done.
  • Option 2: I would get rid of the "yes" that you interject in the middle of the sentence, as you already used it once in the description. Or remove it from the description and keep it here, up to you. Also, it's spelled orphanage. Not a fan of the effect line on this one.
  • Option 3: well done.
  • Option 4: I don't entirely think the @@LEADER@@ macro is necessary here. Why would the aide be calling the leader by their full name? Also not a fan of the effect line.
Nothing major. Nice work on the draft!

Thank you so much for your compliments and comments! I have worked them into the newest draft c:

Description: Done, I changed "never" to "not", so hopefully that solves the implication.
Option 1: Thanks!
Option 2: Done, and I have no idea what happened to "orphanage" but that was a typo I should have caught xD The effect line has been changed!
Option 3: Thanks!
Option 4: Macro removed and effect line changed. I had a little trouble coming up with something witty here, so hopefully this is one's humorous :)

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat May 29, 2021 4:46 am

Corruption isn't the only criticism leveled at leader if he won the lotto. There'll be critics saying he doesn't need the money when the poor do, and he took away a poor person's opportunity to win (which is something I've seen in real life).
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sat May 29, 2021 4:55 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Corruption isn't the only criticism leveled at leader if he won the lotto. There'll be critics saying he doesn't need the money when the poor do, and he took away a poor person's opportunity to win (which is something I've seen in real life).

I think that would be relevant if @@LEADER@@ bought a ticket themselves. But as this was a gift from someone (as stated in the premise), I think it's slightly less relevant. I'll keep it in the back of my mind though, to potentially add it later on!

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:39 am

Any new thoughts or remarks on this one? :)

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013

Postby Electrum » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:41 pm

Pretty good!

Only comment is that the effect line for 4 doesn't really follow from the option -- not sure how spending money on yourself relates to state debt.
NationStates Tennis Tour President - NSTT rankings and season nine schedule

Issues Editor - List of issue ideas - Got Issues discord

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:54 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:We're being overwhelmed with angry phone calls and accusatory social media posts.

All I have to say is that "accusatory social media posts" need internet and/or computers, so it might be worth cutting that down to just "angry phone calls". You can smack a few adjectives in there with the saved space, like... "We're getting absolutely overwhelmed with angry phone calls."

Good issue!
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:54 am

Electrum wrote:Pretty good!

Only comment is that the effect line for 4 doesn't really follow from the option -- not sure how spending money on yourself relates to state debt.

SherpDaWerp wrote:All I have to say is that "accusatory social media posts" need internet and/or computers, so it might be worth cutting that down to just "angry phone calls". You can smack a few adjectives in there with the saved space, like... "We're getting absolutely overwhelmed with angry phone calls."

Good issue!

Thanks to the both of you! :D I have added your comments and suggestions into the newest draft. Much appreciated!

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:50 am

Moving this to last call :) any last comments and remarks would be great!

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017

Postby Candensia » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:00 am

In the description

lucky winner of the multi-million @@CURRENCY@@ prize

I'd use more generic terms to describe the amount of money won, as exchange rates differ between nations. Millions of @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ may buy a mansion in one nation, and only a nice dinner in another.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:45 am

Candensia wrote:In the description

lucky winner of the multi-million @@CURRENCY@@ prize

I'd use more generic terms to describe the amount of money won, as exchange rates differ between nations. Millions of @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ may buy a mansion in one nation, and only a nice dinner in another.

Fixed it! I changed it to "main cash prize", which should relay the same meaning, I think :)

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:49 pm

My only comment is that option four's effect line feels rather weak. I know what you're getting at, but I can't help to feel like it still isn't as funny as it could be. Maybe something like "it pays to be @@LEADER@@". I dunno.

Other than that, looks good to me. :)
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?