NATION

PASSWORD

Hypothetical Re: Olympic Glory

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

What do you say?

I choose the Olympic Glory life
9
26%
I choose my present station
26
74%
 
Total votes : 35

User avatar
Infected Mushroom
Post Czar
 
Posts: 35560
Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Hypothetical Re: Olympic Glory

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri May 07, 2021 10:50 pm

Please consider the following hypothetical:

You have a choice to live your life as is...

or roll the clock back, have all of your memories wiped, and live a life unknowingly destined towards glory at the Olympics Games (gold medal, world number one status in at least one sport over many games).

However, the cost is that your childhood will be destroyed because they will be restructured by your parents and trainers to push you to max potential. Your whole life will be structured and guided by subconscious forces that lead you to your destiny... ultimate gold medal glory. After that goal is achieved, you will suddenly feel free and you can do whatever you want (though your life have been impacted by your dedication to the sport).

So what do you say? Is this a good deal? Please justify.

I will take the deal because I like the idea of having a purpose and a gift and rising above and beyond in the end. I don’t really like the normal life which seems to oscillate between aimless mundanity and horror survival. While I understand there are social and psychological costs (and I am sure throughout it it will be painful) and that I won’t be “normal,” I like there being A Plan and a Purpose for me.

User avatar
The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 14491
Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Free Joy State » Fri May 07, 2021 10:54 pm

I choose my life as it is (and, incidentally "present life" seems better for the poll than "present station" -- which not only has classist overtones, but seems to presume that respondents cannot already have the life they want).

My parents are not the type of people who would have relentlessly pushed me to Olympic glory, with no regard to my own wishes (which this would be because I never liked sport, and the original OP gives no indication that that would change; a child is not a blank slate after all, and emptying my memories will not change a personality) and "destroy" (as the OP said) my childhood in the process. Ergo, I would have had different parents.

The heavy psychological toll of having a childhood destroyed by parents who only dreamed of my achieving Olympic glory, not the mention the physical toll of all the training required (to do something I have no natural interest in), is simply not worth it.

Infected Mushroom wrote:Please consider the following hypothetical:

You have a choice to live your life as is...

or roll the clock back, have all of your memories wiped, and live a life unknowingly destined towards glory at the Olympics Games (gold medal, world number one status in at least one sport over many games).

However, the cost is that your childhood will be destroyed because they will be restructured by your parents and trainers to push you to max potential. Your whole life will be structured and guided by subconscious forces that lead you to your destiny... ultimate gold medal glory. After that goal is achieved, you will suddenly feel free and you can do whatever you want (though your life have been impacted by your dedication to the sport).

So what do you say? Is this a good deal? Please justify.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Fri May 07, 2021 11:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

User avatar
Kilobugya
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5993
Founded: Apr 05, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Kilobugya » Sat May 08, 2021 12:50 am

It wouldn't be "me" but someone else, so option 1 amount to committing suicide, so no thanks.
Secular humanist and trans-humanist, rationalist, democratic socialist, pacifist, dreaming very high to not perform too low.
Economic Left/Right: -9.50 - Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.69

User avatar
Infected Mushroom
Post Czar
 
Posts: 35560
Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sat May 08, 2021 4:02 am

Kilobugya wrote:It wouldn't be "me" but someone else, so option 1 amount to committing suicide, so no thanks.


It would still be you and your consciousness, only with certain subconscious and physical parameters altered so that the unconscious destiny is set.

User avatar
Kilobugya
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5993
Founded: Apr 05, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Kilobugya » Sat May 08, 2021 4:20 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Kilobugya wrote:It wouldn't be "me" but someone else, so option 1 amount to committing suicide, so no thanks.


It would still be you and your consciousness, only with certain subconscious and physical parameters altered so that the unconscious destiny is set.


Sorry if you rewrite my childhood it is no longer me. The "me" of now is in huge part the result of the memories and experiences I had all over my life, especially during my childhood. If you could duplicate at molecular level a toddler and raise the two in wholly different environments, you'll end up with totally different adults, to the point were it makes no sense of pretending it's the same person. There is no soul, the consciousness is only information, patterns, if you change them enough it's no longer the same person.
Secular humanist and trans-humanist, rationalist, democratic socialist, pacifist, dreaming very high to not perform too low.
Economic Left/Right: -9.50 - Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.69

User avatar
The Blaatschapen
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 59230
Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sat May 08, 2021 4:23 am

Living in what is former East Germany, hell no.

East Germany is quite infamous for its strict regimen of sport talents.
1. Forumer mod, now a rocker mocker. Thank you Ringo
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8. Size matters. Bigger is forbidden and won't give the mods pleasure.

User avatar
Infected Mushroom
Post Czar
 
Posts: 35560
Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sat May 08, 2021 4:35 am

Kilobugya wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
It would still be you and your consciousness, only with certain subconscious and physical parameters altered so that the unconscious destiny is set.


Sorry if you rewrite my childhood it is no longer me. The "me" of now is in huge part the result of the memories and experiences I had all over my life, especially during my childhood. If you could duplicate at molecular level a toddler and raise the two in wholly different environments, you'll end up with totally different adults, to the point were it makes no sense of pretending it's the same person. There is no soul, the consciousness is only information, patterns, if you change them enough it's no longer the same person.


That new body continues to move at your mind/brain's literal control

it's just that some things have been switched
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Sat May 08, 2021 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 14491
Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Free Joy State » Sat May 08, 2021 4:46 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Kilobugya wrote:
Sorry if you rewrite my childhood it is no longer me. The "me" of now is in huge part the result of the memories and experiences I had all over my life, especially during my childhood. If you could duplicate at molecular level a toddler and raise the two in wholly different environments, you'll end up with totally different adults, to the point were it makes no sense of pretending it's the same person. There is no soul, the consciousness is only information, patterns, if you change them enough it's no longer the same person.


That new body continues to move at your mind/brain's literal control

it's just that some things have been switched

Like every childhood experience you ever had, every early adulthood experience you ever had; every aspiration you ever had will be overridden by your new family (because, if your family were not emotionally abusive people who didn't care about your wishes, only that you reached Olympic success, they will be replaced)?

We are partly shaped by our experiences, our memories, our families and our goals.

If we have a different "destroyed", psychologically abusive childhood, completely different memories, different families, and have our true personality undermined so that we can pursue goals others want us to pursue, we will no longer be the same people.

It is not switching "a few things". It's a teardown.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sat May 08, 2021 5:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 114652
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat May 08, 2021 4:49 am

I had a good time as a kid, so no.
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.

http://www.salientpartners.com/epsilont ... ilizations

User avatar
The Holy Therns
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 28751
Founded: Jul 09, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Holy Therns » Sat May 08, 2021 5:01 am

My life isn't perfect, but I'd detest fame, so sacrificing a mostly pleasant childhood for it would be absolutely horrible.
Officially better than brussels sprouts
Your new favorite.
MTF transperson. She/her. Lives in Sweden.
Also, N A N A ! ! !
Gallade wrote:Love, cake, wine and banter. No greater meaning to life (〜^∇^)〜

Ethel mermania wrote:to therns is to transend the pettiness of the field of play into the field of dreams.

User avatar
Lady Victory
Diplomat
 
Posts: 976
Founded: Apr 27, 2021
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Lady Victory » Sat May 08, 2021 5:44 am

My childhood kinda sucked tbh but even so I'd never give up BIONICLES for the Olympics. That's a bad trade imo.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic NationalistDefensive Democrat ☆ Transwoman ☆ Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."


God Bless Heavy Metal \m/
She/Her - Call me LV

The User Formerly Known as Trollzyn the Infinite

User avatar
The Holy Therns
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 28751
Founded: Jul 09, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Holy Therns » Sat May 08, 2021 6:40 am

Lady Victory wrote:My childhood kinda sucked tbh but even so I'd never give up BIONICLES for the Olympics. That's a bad trade imo.


Couldn't do without my Classic Space.
Officially better than brussels sprouts
Your new favorite.
MTF transperson. She/her. Lives in Sweden.
Also, N A N A ! ! !
Gallade wrote:Love, cake, wine and banter. No greater meaning to life (〜^∇^)〜

Ethel mermania wrote:to therns is to transend the pettiness of the field of play into the field of dreams.

User avatar
Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 20243
Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Heloin » Sat May 08, 2021 10:29 am

This seems like a crap deal. Lose my childhood and all I get is some dumb olympics shite. And I say this as someone who’s childhood included getting shot at and fleeing my home.
Ye wouldna' have your freedom to take a drink or two.
If it wasna' for the work of the Dorsai!


Proudly Zimbabwean | Art Thread | Industrial Workers of the World | Armenian Red Cross | Help Gaza's Children
Gays and Lesbians of Zimbabwe | Harmless Historical Nut

User avatar
The Two Jerseys
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16315
Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Two Jerseys » Sat May 08, 2021 12:33 pm

Alternate me being forced to do sports despite hating physical work and avoiding it as much as possible?

That's gonna be a no...
"The Duke of Texas" is too formal for regular use. Just call me "Your Grace".
"If I would like to watch goodness, sanity, God and logic being fucked I would watch Japanese porn." -Nightkill the Emperor
"This thread makes me wish I was a moron so that I wouldn't have to comprehend how stupid the topic is." -The Empire of Pretantia
Head of State: HM King Louis
Head of Government: The Rt. Hon. James O'Dell MP, Prime Minister
Ambassador to the World Assembly: HE Sir John Ross "J.R." Ewing II, Bt.
Join Excalibur Squadron. We're Commandos who fly Spitfires. Chicks dig Commandos who fly Spitfires.

User avatar
Kannap
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 63756
Founded: May 07, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kannap » Sat May 08, 2021 3:54 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:Please consider the following hypothetical:

You have a choice to live your life as is...

or roll the clock back, have all of your memories wiped, and live a life unknowingly destined towards glory at the Olympics Games (gold medal, world number one status in at least one sport over many games).

However, the cost is that your childhood will be destroyed because they will be restructured by your parents and trainers to push you to max potential. Your whole life will be structured and guided by subconscious forces that lead you to your destiny... ultimate gold medal glory. After that goal is achieved, you will suddenly feel free and you can do whatever you want (though your life have been impacted by your dedication to the sport).

So what do you say? Is this a good deal? Please justify.

I will take the deal because I like the idea of having a purpose and a gift and rising above and beyond in the end. I don’t really like the normal life which seems to oscillate between aimless mundanity and horror survival. While I understand there are social and psychological costs (and I am sure throughout it it will be painful) and that I won’t be “normal,” I like there being A Plan and a Purpose for me.


As usual, when a question is asked of whether I'd go back in time and change my life trajectory, my answer is "No." Sure, I wish I was better well off financially and I wish I'd graduated college by now, but everything that's happened and everything I've done has led to who I am as a person today. I have a small number of amazing best friends and a bit larger number of great online friends. I have a boyfriend now as well. It's very possible I'd have never met any of them if I changed some things of my past and did things differently.

So no, I don't take this deal because I've already lived 24 years of life. Hasn't all been beautiful, hasn't all been great, and there are many things I wish could've been better, but I am where I am and I've been where I've been and I'm going where I'm going because of the choices I've made and the life I've lived and am living, I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm me and me is not an Olympic athlete.
24 years old, gay asexual, male Presbyterian, North Carolinian. Pumpkin Spice everything.
TET's resident ostrich
Political Party: Not affiliated/Independent
Luna Amore wrote:Please remember to attend the ritualistic burning of Kannap for heresy
Luna Amore wrote:note to self, insert clever reference to Kannap
T H E M O U N T A I N S A R E C A L L I N G A N D I M U S T G O
G A Y S I N C E 1 9 9 7
RYM || Political test results
.::The List of National Sports::.

User avatar
Kannap
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 63756
Founded: May 07, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kannap » Sat May 08, 2021 4:00 pm

Kilobugya wrote:It wouldn't be "me" but someone else, so option 1 amount to committing suicide, so no thanks.


Basically, this.
24 years old, gay asexual, male Presbyterian, North Carolinian. Pumpkin Spice everything.
TET's resident ostrich
Political Party: Not affiliated/Independent
Luna Amore wrote:Please remember to attend the ritualistic burning of Kannap for heresy
Luna Amore wrote:note to self, insert clever reference to Kannap
T H E M O U N T A I N S A R E C A L L I N G A N D I M U S T G O
G A Y S I N C E 1 9 9 7
RYM || Political test results
.::The List of National Sports::.

User avatar
Chan Island
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5566
Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Chan Island » Sat May 08, 2021 4:32 pm

To be completely honest, I was born with a freakishly good talent for running. I could comfortably outrun just about every person I encountered until well into my teenage years, and even then only by people who had explicitly trained for running in a serious way. And even now, the talent is still there. I've recently joined a running whatsapp group and yet despite barely any training I comfortably kept up with the experienced guy who initiated me into me with ease.

So I have already had the thought about how my life would have turned out if I had been trained explicitly for the olympics for running. I'm weirdly nostalgic for the life that never happened.

In summary... yeah, I am hella curious how In would have turned out as an explicitly trained olympic runner and trained all my life for that purpose.
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

User avatar
Thermodolia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 65767
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat May 08, 2021 5:26 pm

Fuck that. As much as I wish to be in a different situation I wouldn’t replace it with that.
Male, State Socialist, Cultural Nationalist, Welfare Chauvinist lives somewhere in AZ I'm GAY! Disabled US Military Veteran
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
>Xovland: I keep getting ads for printer ink. Sometimes, when you get that feeling down there, you have to look at some steamy printer pictures.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

User avatar
Thermodolia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 65767
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat May 08, 2021 5:29 pm

Kannap wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:Please consider the following hypothetical:

You have a choice to live your life as is...

or roll the clock back, have all of your memories wiped, and live a life unknowingly destined towards glory at the Olympics Games (gold medal, world number one status in at least one sport over many games).

However, the cost is that your childhood will be destroyed because they will be restructured by your parents and trainers to push you to max potential. Your whole life will be structured and guided by subconscious forces that lead you to your destiny... ultimate gold medal glory. After that goal is achieved, you will suddenly feel free and you can do whatever you want (though your life have been impacted by your dedication to the sport).

So what do you say? Is this a good deal? Please justify.

I will take the deal because I like the idea of having a purpose and a gift and rising above and beyond in the end. I don’t really like the normal life which seems to oscillate between aimless mundanity and horror survival. While I understand there are social and psychological costs (and I am sure throughout it it will be painful) and that I won’t be “normal,” I like there being A Plan and a Purpose for me.


As usual, when a question is asked of whether I'd go back in time and change my life trajectory, my answer is "No." Sure, I wish I was better well off financially and I wish I'd graduated college by now, but everything that's happened and everything I've done has led to who I am as a person today. I have a small number of amazing best friends and a bit larger number of great online friends. I have a boyfriend now as well. It's very possible I'd have never met any of them if I changed some things of my past and did things differently.

So no, I don't take this deal because I've already lived 24 years of life. Hasn't all been beautiful, hasn't all been great, and there are many things I wish could've been better, but I am where I am and I've been where I've been and I'm going where I'm going because of the choices I've made and the life I've lived and am living, I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm me and me is not an Olympic athlete.

I mean tbh I wouldn’t pass up an opportunity to go back in time and never leave the military. Not a lot would change really as I’d still have most of my old friends
Male, State Socialist, Cultural Nationalist, Welfare Chauvinist lives somewhere in AZ I'm GAY! Disabled US Military Veteran
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
>Xovland: I keep getting ads for printer ink. Sometimes, when you get that feeling down there, you have to look at some steamy printer pictures.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

User avatar
Eahland
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1671
Founded: Apr 18, 2006
Libertarian Police State

Postby Eahland » Sat May 08, 2021 6:08 pm

In other words: Would I like to be murdered and have my identity stolen by an Olympic medalist?

That's a big no.
Eahlisc Wordboc (Glossary)
Eahlisc Healþambiht segþ: NE DRENCE, EÐA, OÞÞE ONDO BLÆCE!

User avatar
Infected Mushroom
Post Czar
 
Posts: 35560
Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sat May 08, 2021 8:56 pm

Eahland wrote:In other words: Would I like to be murdered and have my identity stolen by an Olympic medalist?

That's a big no.


It’s more like a reincarnation, with some physical stats and psychological tendencies switched... but your mind would still be the motor that moves the limbs and all the physical equipment

User avatar
Galloism
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 69533
Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat May 08, 2021 8:57 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Eahland wrote:In other words: Would I like to be murdered and have my identity stolen by an Olympic medalist?

That's a big no.


It’s more like a reincarnation, with some physical stats and psychological tendencies switched... but your mind would still be the motor that moves the limbs and all the physical equipment

The difference is 95% academic.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.


User avatar
Kannap
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 63756
Founded: May 07, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kannap » Sat May 08, 2021 8:58 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Eahland wrote:In other words: Would I like to be murdered and have my identity stolen by an Olympic medalist?

That's a big no.


It’s more like a reincarnation, with some physical stats and psychological tendencies switched... but your mind would still be the motor that moves the limbs and all the physical equipment


Sure, sure, sure, but you're not understanding that if you took me and reset me to one year old and changed my entire life trajectory then I would no longer be me.
24 years old, gay asexual, male Presbyterian, North Carolinian. Pumpkin Spice everything.
TET's resident ostrich
Political Party: Not affiliated/Independent
Luna Amore wrote:Please remember to attend the ritualistic burning of Kannap for heresy
Luna Amore wrote:note to self, insert clever reference to Kannap
T H E M O U N T A I N S A R E C A L L I N G A N D I M U S T G O
G A Y S I N C E 1 9 9 7
RYM || Political test results
.::The List of National Sports::.

User avatar
Infected Mushroom
Post Czar
 
Posts: 35560
Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sat May 08, 2021 9:06 pm

Kannap wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
It’s more like a reincarnation, with some physical stats and psychological tendencies switched... but your mind would still be the motor that moves the limbs and all the physical equipment


Sure, sure, sure, but you're not understanding that if you took me and reset me to one year old and changed my entire life trajectory then I would no longer be me.


My understanding of identity is that if you can still 100 percent will your (new) body to move then you are still you.

So if I went back in time and became Tywin Lannister and my personality, skill set, proclivities, and abilities got changed to his... I’d still be Me if I still control the body like a video game joystick holder.

...

So the exception would be... I’m Tywin now AND the supernatural entity decides how my limbs move (with a type of command override like how a tank commander can take over the gunner’s controls from his seat)
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Sat May 08, 2021 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 14491
Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Free Joy State » Sat May 08, 2021 9:07 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Eahland wrote:In other words: Would I like to be murdered and have my identity stolen by an Olympic medalist?

That's a big no.


It’s more like a reincarnation, with some physical stats and psychological tendencies switched... but your mind would still be the motor that moves the limbs and all the physical equipment

And a whole new, very shitty family who don't care for their child's wishes and who are willing to destroy their childhood.

Anyway, just because New Family, Destroyer of Childhoods (NFDC for short) want a child to do something, just because the child may be forced to train until they're good at it, doesn't mean their "psychological tendencies" will be any different. If you reset me to a year old, and gave me to NFDC to raise, I would most likely still grow up to dislike sport but to start writing little stories when I was three or four.

That was my natural inclination, which needed no encouragement.

Contrary to what people thought centuries ago, a child is not a tabla rasa.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: American Pere Housh, Azur Iane, Comerciante, Galloism, Greater Miami Shores, Herador, Ifreann, Just-An-Illusion, MaximumOverdrive, Necroghastia, Shrillland, Tarsonis, The Black Forrest, The Temple of the Computer, Yeerosland

Advertisement

Remove ads