NATION

PASSWORD

Puerto Rico: the murder of Keishla Rodríguez.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 199644
Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Puerto Rico: the murder of Keishla Rodríguez.

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu May 06, 2021 4:00 pm

This may be angry or disjointed, but here it goes.

Puerto Rican boxer Félix Verdejo turned himself in to federal agents Sunday night to face federal charges just hours after authorities identified the body of a dead woman as his 27-year-old pregnant lover, officials said. The U.S. Attorney's Office said late Sunday that Verdejo was being charged with kidnapping and carjacking resulting in death and with intentionally killing an unborn child.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/felix-verd ... death/#app

Here are links to the FBI indictment against Félix Verdejo and for seeking the death penalty: https://www.justice.gov/usao-pr/pr/f-li ... kidnapping
https://www.scribd.com/document/5058933 ... rte-Caso-1

This case was particularly heinous, also coming on the heels of several crimes- case of Andrea Ruíz, who was burned to death by ex partner after a judge denied her a restraining order against him- involving women being either brutally murdered or attacked by their ex or current partners. Puerto Rico’s domestic abuse cases remain high and it’s highlighted that authorities often refuse to grant restraining orders to the victims. Restraining order denials range between municipalities but can be as high as 68%, and often, prosecutors are no shows in court.

What are your thoughts on FBI involvements, the death penalty for this case and violence against women in PR and Latin America in general because we have this pattern repeating in places like Mexico, Venezuela and Honduras?

As a woman who is a survivor of domestic violence, I’m seething reading about this. I know my case happened in another country with different laws and resources but I’m so angry reading what happened to Keishla… the sheer inhumanity of it all. A kind of violence women continue to be subjected to in Latin America. With little to no justice.

I have always sat on the fence regarding the death penalty, but in this case, I think it’s deserved. However, dying is too good for Verdejo and accomplices. Including his fiancée (who is suspected of helping orchestrate this crime too). I feel that being put behind bars, without the possibility of parole, and in solitary confinement to be more fitting for these creatures.

Something has to change, for fucks sake. Comment away.

Note: if mods prefer this in the Feminist thread, move away.
Last edited by Nanatsu no Tsuki on Thu May 06, 2021 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I really don’t care.
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

User avatar
Engadine Mcdonalds 1997
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 200
Founded: Jan 21, 2021
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Engadine Mcdonalds 1997 » Thu May 06, 2021 4:06 pm

Death penalty might be a little extreme but I can see your point. Instead there should be forced labour camps for these folks to work their way out. Some might call it slavery, I call it justice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUhNFSyHGyE&t=1662s&ab_channel=friendlyjordies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXtq4a8829g&t=1s

"I’ll tell you about the Greens. You know what the Greens are? They are a bunch of opportunists and trots hiding behind a gum tree trying to pretend they’re the Labor Party"- Paul Keating

Proud anti-ideologist

User avatar
Nantoraka
Diplomat
 
Posts: 531
Founded: Oct 19, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nantoraka » Thu May 06, 2021 4:12 pm

I love my island but the problems it has make me cry. This isn't a single incident, either; domestic abuse is serious there, along with all other kinds of problems.
Factbooks are designed for dark theme users with vision that hasn't been burned away by light theme.
I'm politically chaotic evil
Anything that causes all around human misery or destroys the planet gets a thumbs up in my book

User avatar
The Rich Port
Post Czar
 
Posts: 37703
Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Thu May 06, 2021 4:18 pm

Macho bullshit. I know it well. I grew up in a gang. We were "brothers". Eramos compas. I started out hating them, because, well, they were violent nutjobs and they made fun of me for not being as violent as they were. They were bullies, and they're all in prison or dead today. I miss them. I somehow grew to love them because they turned me into one of them, and it's only until I stopped fighting back that they accepted me. Nowadays I pity them, because someone did the same thing they did to me.

It leaves you wondering about the root of all evil. Having power over someone else? Hate? Fear? Family? I don't know anymore.

All I know is, I'm sorry you had to go through that, Nana. I'm sorry anyone has to go through anything like this. Just know that you're not alone and that just because your family doesn't love you it doesn't mean you're not capable of being loved or worthy of it. Family is what doesn't hurt you.

I don't know if the death penalty is ever feasible, unless this guy is going to put someone else's life in danger if he is left alive.

Pero el pueblo de Puerto Rico tiene que dejar el machismo y el abuso, de las mujeres y de la gente que no se pueden defender, y dejar de darle privilegios a la gente en poder.
Last edited by The Rich Port on Thu May 06, 2021 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pronouns: I'm Genderfluid, so if you want me to feel pretty and extraordinary, call me she. If you want me to feel handsome and masculine, call me he. If you use they to refer to me you're a coward. Roll the diiiiice.
NOW WITH SUPER SECRET VIP CONSTRUCTIVE DISCUSSION DISCORD. INQUIRE VIA TELEGRAM.

Coronavirus is real, and a real problem. Do not panic, but please educate yourself and take steps to protect yourself and your loved ones. Donald Trump lied. Pray for the sick.
LAUGH, AND GROW FAT
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS

A COMER Y A TOMAR, QUE EL CONSERVATISMO SE VA A ACABAR.

Tracking | History | Factbook | Dharma
Economic Report
CAPINTERN | OMSA | OZZY | PACT | APAC
The Book Of Sue
THE BILLION BIT BRONY

LOVEWHOYOUARE~


User avatar
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 199644
Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu May 06, 2021 4:22 pm

Nantoraka wrote:I love my island but the problems it has make me cry. This isn't a single incident, either; domestic abuse is serious there, along with all other kinds of problems.


Yes, this and Andrea’s case are just the two most recent events. In PR, according to 2019-2020 statistics show that a woman is murdered by a partner or ex partner every 7 days. (Sorry guys, info is in Spanish)
I really don’t care.
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

User avatar
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 199644
Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu May 06, 2021 4:28 pm

The Rich Port wrote:Macho bullshit. I know it well. I grew up in a gang. We were "brothers". Eramos compas. I started out hating them, because, well, they were violent nutjobs and they made fun of me for not being as violent as they were. They were bullies, and they're all in prison or dead today. I miss them. I somehow grew to love them because they turned me into one of them, and it's only until I stopped fighting back that they accepted me. Nowadays I pity them, because someone did the same thing they did to me.

It leaves you wondering about the root of all evil. Having power over someone else? Hate? Fear? Family? I don't know anymore.

All I know is, I'm sorry you had to go through that, Nana. I'm sorry anyone has to go through anything like this. Just know that you're not alone and that just because your family doesn't love you it doesn't mean you're not capable of being loved or worthy of it. Family is what doesn't hurt you.

I don't know if the death penalty is ever feasible, unless this guy is going to put someone else's life in danger if he is left alive.

Pero el pueblo de Puerto Rico tiene que dejar el machismo y el abuso, de las mujeres y de la gente que no se pueden defender, y dejar de darle privilegios a la gente en poder.


I was lucky, lucky to have my mother’s support, lucky to be alive and that my case was heard by Spanish authorities. I was lucky. And I’m lucky because I was able to find stability, and a good, decent man. But many others aren’t as lucky as I am, and I can’t stop thinking about Keishla being dropped into that lagoon, still alive and drugged. Drowning. I can’t stop thinking about her mom, and my mom. That pain of losing your daughter. Of having to go identify her at the morgue. Jesus Fucking Christ.

Me cago en la ostia. Verdejo es un hijo de puta.
I really don’t care.
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

User avatar
Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14813
Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Thu May 06, 2021 6:21 pm

As a boricua myself, it pains me to see this violence. There's violence in the streets everyday in PR and in Puerto Rican diaspora communities throughout the mainland. We see it against women, against kids, against young men, against the elderly, against everyone. It has to stop.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

User avatar
The Rich Port
Post Czar
 
Posts: 37703
Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Thu May 06, 2021 6:24 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:Macho bullshit. I know it well. I grew up in a gang. We were "brothers". Eramos compas. I started out hating them, because, well, they were violent nutjobs and they made fun of me for not being as violent as they were. They were bullies, and they're all in prison or dead today. I miss them. I somehow grew to love them because they turned me into one of them, and it's only until I stopped fighting back that they accepted me. Nowadays I pity them, because someone did the same thing they did to me.

It leaves you wondering about the root of all evil. Having power over someone else? Hate? Fear? Family? I don't know anymore.

All I know is, I'm sorry you had to go through that, Nana. I'm sorry anyone has to go through anything like this. Just know that you're not alone and that just because your family doesn't love you it doesn't mean you're not capable of being loved or worthy of it. Family is what doesn't hurt you.

I don't know if the death penalty is ever feasible, unless this guy is going to put someone else's life in danger if he is left alive.

Pero el pueblo de Puerto Rico tiene que dejar el machismo y el abuso, de las mujeres y de la gente que no se pueden defender, y dejar de darle privilegios a la gente en poder.


I was lucky, lucky to have my mother’s support, lucky to be alive and that my case was heard by Spanish authorities. I was lucky. And I’m lucky because I was able to find stability, and a good, decent man. But many others aren’t as lucky as I am, and I can’t stop thinking about Keishla being dropped into that lagoon, still alive and drugged. Drowning. I can’t stop thinking about her mom, and my mom. That pain of losing your daughter. Of having to go identify her at the morgue. Jesus Fucking Christ.

Me cago en la ostia. Verdejo es un hijo de puta.


At least it wasn't Felix Tito Trinidad, that would have been really heartbreaking.

Verdejo sounds like he's some wannabe garbage boxer, I've never heard of him.
Pronouns: I'm Genderfluid, so if you want me to feel pretty and extraordinary, call me she. If you want me to feel handsome and masculine, call me he. If you use they to refer to me you're a coward. Roll the diiiiice.
NOW WITH SUPER SECRET VIP CONSTRUCTIVE DISCUSSION DISCORD. INQUIRE VIA TELEGRAM.

Coronavirus is real, and a real problem. Do not panic, but please educate yourself and take steps to protect yourself and your loved ones. Donald Trump lied. Pray for the sick.
LAUGH, AND GROW FAT
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS

A COMER Y A TOMAR, QUE EL CONSERVATISMO SE VA A ACABAR.

Tracking | History | Factbook | Dharma
Economic Report
CAPINTERN | OMSA | OZZY | PACT | APAC
The Book Of Sue
THE BILLION BIT BRONY

LOVEWHOYOUARE~


User avatar
Tsaivao
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 369
Founded: Apr 07, 2020
Anarchy

Postby Tsaivao » Thu May 06, 2021 6:32 pm

The situation with the Puerto-Rican government is insane. I dated someone once who was from Puerto Rico, and he told me many times about the crumbling infrastructure, poverty, and general apathy from the local officials. But I never really heard about the domestic abuse, and how bad it's gotten there. I seriously hope that something is done in the very near future to bring Puerto Rico into line with the rest of the United States at the very least so that people have the voice and the rights to defend themselves from stuff like this.

Or, perhaps a more direct solution, if the government and justice system did their jobs better, then this could be taken care of much more effectively. I hate to see so many people hurt.
~::~ May the five winds guide us to glory ~::~
OPERATION TEN-GO: Tsaivao Authority confirms wormhole drives based on alien designs are functional | Gen. Tsaosin: "Operational integrity is the key to our success against the xenic threat. In a week, we will have already infiltrated into their world." | All leaders of Tsaivao send personal farewells to Ten-Go special forces unit Tsaikantan-8
Nation doesn't reflect my personal beliefs, NS stats aren't really worried about except for Nudity because "haha funny"
The symbol on my flag is supposed to be a typhoon
Pro: LGBT, BLM, Democracy, Democratic Socialism, Rationalism
Neutral: Gun Rights, Abortion, Centrism
Anti: Trumpism, Radicalization, Fundamentalism, Fascism

User avatar
Adamede
Minister
 
Posts: 2931
Founded: Jul 22, 2020
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Adamede » Thu May 06, 2021 7:04 pm

Engadine Mcdonalds 1997 wrote:Death penalty might be a little extreme but I can see your point. Instead there should be forced labour camps for these folks to work their way out. Some might call it slavery, I call it justice

How about neither?
21yo male. Like most everyone else my opinions are garbage.

Pro: Democracy, 1st & 2nd Amendments, Science, Conservation, Nuclear, universal healthcare, Equality regardless of race, creed, or sexual orientation.
Neutral : Feminism, anarchism
Anti: Left and Right wing authoritarianism, religious extremists & theocracy, monarchy, nanny & surveillance states

User avatar
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 199644
Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu May 06, 2021 7:12 pm

Last edited by Nanatsu no Tsuki on Thu May 06, 2021 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I really don’t care.
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

User avatar
Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14813
Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Thu May 06, 2021 7:36 pm

You run and scream to God, and there's violence in the streets. It's full on carnage in places like San Juan and it's like our old people can't even walk the city alone.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

User avatar
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 199644
Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri May 07, 2021 5:04 pm

Update on some info I posted yesterday:

Image


The source for this data^ comes from the Office for the Administration of Courts (Tribunals), also known as OAT, in PR.

Image


Translation of second image: "38% of restraining order applications for gendered violence, from a total of 7,019, have been denied in the first nine months of the fiscal year."
I really don’t care.
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria


Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Catholice, Greater-Kurdistan, Lesser Wraith, Luziyca, Muzehnaya, Necroghastia, Shrillland

Advertisement

Remove ads