NATION

PASSWORD

World Hit Festival 58 | Le Havre, N&P | IC Thread

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Normandy and Picardy
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

l'attribution des prix (2)

Postby Normandy and Picardy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:40 pm

Le prix suivant est attribué au concurrent qui donné la plus meilleure représentation. Ce pay est...
The next prize up is given to the competing country who gave the best performance. That country is...

Maintenant, c'est le temps pour l'attribution du prix pour les meilleures paroles. Ce prix est attribué à la...
Now, it is time to give the award for the best lyrics. This award is given to...

Et finalement, le prix qui est decidé par la presse, et ils ont decidé donner le prix à la...
And finally, it is time for the award decided by the press, and they decided to give the award to...

Pouvons-nous deviner quelque chose sur le résultat de ces prix? Alors, voyons! Commencons la deuxième étape...
Can we divine something about the results from these awards? Well, let's find out! Let's begin the second stage...
Northern French Names but with a general Western Med vibe, welcome to N&P

Normandy and Picardy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

2ème étape | normandie et picardie

Postby Normandy and Picardy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:50 pm

And so, the final stage of the contest began, and it opened with the five points from the host country, and a familiar face was on hand to give them out, given Marie was a little preoccupied right now...

"Les premiers cinqs points, ce sont de nous, et ils sont attribués ce soir par le presentateur du dernier festival, et mon ami, Frédéric Duchamps! Bonsoir Frédéric, comment ca va? Et peux-tu nous donner les cinq points normands et picards?
"The first five points are our points, and they are given tonight this evening by a familiar face, the presenter of the last contest, and my friend, Frédéric Duchamps. Good evening Frédéric, how are you? And can you give us the Normand and Picard five points?

There were loud cheers in the crowd, both from the Normands naturally, but from the fans who had made the journey too. Frédéric blushed a little as he heard the applause - he wasn't quite sure of why he had become a sort of cult figure following the contest which he only just held together (along with his marriage) - before beginning to speak...

"Bonsoir Marie! Ca va mieux que je pense ca va pour toi maintenant, non, je sais. Tu fait de bon travail ce soir Marie, naturellement. Alors, alors, les points cruciaux de Normandie et Picardie. Ils vont à la...
Good evening Marie! I'm doing better than I think you're doing right now, no, I know. You're doing a great job this evening, naturally. Well, well, the crucial points from Normandy and Picardy. They go to...

Alezie du Nord!
North Alezia

Normandy and Picardy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

2ème étape | togonistan

Postby Normandy and Picardy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:56 pm

"Pour les prochains cinq, nous disons Good Evening au Togonistan, et Mac Lewis qui est en Tushlark. Bonsoir, pouvon-nous avoir vos cinq points?
For the next five, we say good evening to Togonistan, and Mac Lewis who is in Tushlark. Good evening, may we have your five points?

And so, at this point, although the link was a bit wobbly, and SRNP technicians behind the scenes were not having a good day to put it one day, people across the Multiverse could (hopefully) now see Mac "Sharpshoota" Lewis delivering the points from Togonistan

'Bonjour Le Havre! Tushlark calling, lovely show! Even though I’m bruised, with whatever strength I have left, I will keep on fighting until I’m laid to rest. Cinq points...'

Britonisie!'
Britonisea

"Hmm, thank you Mac, merci pour votre interpretation impromptue... Alors, les prochains voix..."
Hmm, thank you Mac, thank you for your impromptu performance... So, the next points..."

Normandy and Picardy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

2ème étape | malte comine gozo

Postby Normandy and Picardy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:01 pm

Ah, bonsoir à nos amis en Malte Comine Gozo! Bonsoir Jakob en Vallette, merci pour les quatres points, mais, qui recevra les cinq?
Ah, good evening to our friends in Malta Comino Gozo! Good evening Jakob in Valletta, thank you for the four points, but, who will recieve your five?

Hello! Bonsoir La Havre! This is Valletta calling! We are just blown away by you fantastic show again! The creativity and music has been amazing! You have done a fab job! Good luck to everyone tonight! And the five points from Malta Comino Gozo goes to...

Todlichebujoku!

Normandy and Picardy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

2ème étape | britonisie

Postby Normandy and Picardy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:04 pm

"Et maintenant, nous nous tournons vers la Britonisie et Doportedas, ou nous trouvons Josh Morris. Bonsoir Josh, pouvon-nous avoir les cinq points de Britonisie?
And now, we turn to Britonisea and Doportedas, where we find Josh Morris. Good evening Josh, may we have the five points from Britonisea?

"Hello Normandy and Picardy, this is Doportedas calling! I am so excited to get onto the World Hit Festival stage next edition - after seeing this fantastic show, I cannot wait. Right...those five points?"

Adab!

Normandy and Picardy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

2ème étape | beepee du nord

Postby Normandy and Picardy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:10 pm

Alors, nous allons en Beepee du Nord et à Melaleuca, ou j'espère que nous trouverons Jarli et les cinq points de la voix de Beepee du Nord
So, we go to Northern Beepee and to Melaleuca, where I hope we will find Jarli and the five points of the vote of Northern Beepee.

"Good evening Marie, and greetings from tropical Northern Beepee. Normandy and Picardy has put on another amazing show tonight. Congratulations. I wish all the entrants the best of luck, but the points from Northern Beepee go to...."

Darkmania!

Normandy and Picardy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

2ème étape | république achéane

Postby Normandy and Picardy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:18 pm

"Maintenant, Bonsoir à Lisa De Jesús, qui est dans Corola pour présenter les cinq points de la République Achéane. Pouvons-nous recevoir vos cinq points, s'il vous plait?"
Now, good evening to Lisa de Jesus in Corola, who is in Corola to present the five points from the Achaean Republic. May we have your five points, please?

"Bonsoir, Le Havre! Bonsoir de Corola! Nous sommes heureux d'etre bien amuser par une autre soirée à succes mondial apporté par la Normandie et Picardie - quel beau spectacle! Maintenant, les cinq points de la République Achéane vont à...
Good Evening, Le Havre. Good Evening from Corola! We are glad to enjoy another world hit evening put on by Normandy and Picardy - what a great show! Now, the five points from the Achaean Republic go to...

Malte Comine Gozo!
Malta Comino Gozo

Thank you so much! Gracias! Au revoir!

Normandy and Picardy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

2ème étape | auphélie

Postby Normandy and Picardy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:23 pm

Alors, alors, les prochaines voix, ce sont d'Auphélie. Bonsoir... Speaker of the Empress, Her Aural Pleasure, Berenhilde. Ah, alors, bonsoir. Ah, la connexion est un peu faible. Pouvons-nous avoir vos cinq points?
So, so, the next votes are from Auphelia. Good evening... Speaker of the Empress, Her Aural Pleasure, Berenhilde. Ah, well, good evening. Ah, the connection seems to be a little weak. May we have your five points?

Her Heavenly Majesty, She Who Reigns With Supreme Grace and the Guidance of a Thousand Eternities Under the Auspices of the Goddess, The Mother of Our Beloved Nation and the Seeker of the True Empress, Her Grace the Mother Empress Bernadette has released her Most Divine and Holy votes for the singers of our foreign competitors. We revel in the pleasure of her judgement and seek to bend our most agreeable will to hers, as it is the Pristine and Most Perfect Will of the Goddess that flows through her as the sweet juices of the blue-specked berries does unto the beak of the gold-winged flutter bird. And now may her Decree, that Most Righteous and Holy of Proclamations, be given as a Tempered and Revered gift to you. In first position and receiving five points from Her Most Eternal and Excellent Holiness, we present five points to...

The Achaean Republic!

Normandy and Picardy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

2ème étape | admincohns n.

Postby Normandy and Picardy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:29 pm

Marie waited for the next spokesperson to appear. SRNP producers waited for the same thing. No one really knew what was going on. Things had been a bit patchy up to that point, as could be seen in the last votes, but it seemed the connection had been lost completely for now. Oh dear. So Marie had to step in to present the next points...

"Madames et messieurs, il semble que nous avons perdu la connexion avec Admincohns, donc je présenterai les cinq points d'Admincohns Namerryaz, qui vont à...
Ladies and gentleman, it appears that we have lost the connection to Admincohns, so I will present the five points from Admincohns Namerryaz, which go to...

Rhim Flavezztowland!

Normandy and Picardy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

2ème étape | axuve

Postby Normandy and Picardy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:35 pm

The problems persisted. Marie looked on at the production team at the back of the arena (although in fairness she could not see much). They weren't being all that helpful, though they were preoccupied with trying to get the show running again. Anyway, time for the five from Axuva...

"Nos problèmes persistent? Alors, Madames et Messieurs, nous sommes désolés mais nous éprouvons des difficultés techniques. Par conséquent, je presenterai aussi les cinq points d'Axuve qui sont attribués au...
We're still having problems? Well, ladies and gentleman, we are sorry but we are experiencing technical difficulties. Therefore, I will also present the five points from Axuva, which are given to...

Pemecutan!

Normandy and Picardy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

2ème étape | alezie du nord

Postby Normandy and Picardy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:41 pm

Whilst Marie had been giving the five points from Axuva, the connection difficulties that the Normand production team had been very desperately trying to deal with finally appeared to fix themselves. No one was sure what had caused it, no one knew why it had fixed itself, but everyone was too busy being relieved to seriously ask. In any case, this meant normal service could resume with the points from North Aleiza...

Excellent! Maintenant, nous pouvons aller en Alezie du Nord et Zafizamarrah. Bonsoir Emilia, nous espèrons que nous pouvons avoir vos cinq points.
Excellent! Now, we can go to North Alezia and Zafizamarrah. Good evening Emilia, we hope that we can have your five points.

Bonsoir Le Havre, Ici Zafizamarrah! Hello everyone, here I am again, giving the votes of the North Alezia's last jury votes as this is the last of North Alezia's things to do before they 100% join the union. We love all songs and the singers are very talented, voting on them is a hard decision, but we've decided, the 5 points from North Alezia go to:

Achaean Republic!

Last edited by Normandy and Picardy on Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Normandy and Picardy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

2ème étape | rhime flavezztowland

Postby Normandy and Picardy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:47 pm

Things, at last, seemed to be running smoothly...

Maintenant, Bonsoir Ellen dans Somerlot. Pouvon-nous avoir les cinq points de voix de Rhime Flavezztowland
Now, good evening to Ellen in Somerlot. May we have the five points of the Rhim Flavezztowland vote?

"Hey there, Le Havre, and good evening! I'd like to say that this contest's been a wild ride, but you've gotta ultimately have one winner, right?"

Ouais, ca marche comme ca...
Yes, that's how it works...

Anyway, I'd like to say that the Flavezztowlander jury's 5 points go to..."

Kassegrochia!

Normandy and Picardy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

2ème étape | carrelie

Postby Normandy and Picardy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:51 pm

"Les voix de Carrelie sont présentés par Vian Genamman qui est en Mont-Sanguine. Bonsoir Vian, pouvez-vous attribuer les cinq points de Carrelie, s'il vous plait?"
The votes from Carrelie are presented by Vian Genamman who is in Mont-Sanguine. Good evening Vian, can you present the five points from Carrelie, please?

"Bonsoir Normandie et Picardie, et bonsoir Marie! Le spectacle de ce soir a été génial! J'ai adoré voir les actes de tout le monde! Je suis Vian Genamman, rayonné en direct de Mont-Sanguine à Dourie, et je suis ici pour présenter les cinq points de Carrelie!
Sans plus tarder, nos cinq points vont à...

Good evening Normandy and Picardy, and good evening Marie! Tonight's show has been great! I loved seeing everyone's acts! I am Vian Genamman, being beamed in live from Mont-Sanguine in Douria, and I'm here to present Carrelie's five points!
Without further ado, our five points go to

Auphélie! Åúphèlïe! Auphelia!

Merci beaucoup pour le spectacle, Marie!"
Thank you very much for the show, Marie

Normandy and Picardy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

2ème étape | farabie

Postby Normandy and Picardy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:56 pm

"Les prochains cinq points vont à nous de Farabie. Bonsoir à la Ville de Farabie, bonsoir à Konstantinos Adamos. Pouvons-nous avoir les cinq points de Farabie?
The next votes come to us from Faraby. Good evening to Faraby City, good evening to Konstantinos Adamos. May we have the five points from Farabie?

"For the last time, woman, you will not be getting a single dime from me- oh, we're live now? Great! Good evening Le Havre, you've probably remembered my name by now. I am Konstantinos Adamos and I am here once again as Faraby's spokesman, and so without further ado let me announce the results from Faraby! Five points go to..."

Achaean Republic!

A few murmurs began to ripple among the crowd, but there were plenty of cheers too. In fairness, it was unclear why those clearly unhappy with the Achaean entry had bothered turning up at all. They only had themselves to blame really. The rest of the crowd just cheered like normal, or well, perhaps a little more than normal...

Normandy and Picardy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

2ème étape | teesdexie

Postby Normandy and Picardy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:04 pm

As the crowd died down, Marie looking at them almost like a stern teacher, it was time to move onto the next set of votes, but not before a little note...

Il n'y aura plus de huées ici ce soir. Ce festival est un célébration, est si vous ne pouvez pas se souvenir du fait, vous etes libre de partir!
There will be no more booing this evening. This festival is a celebration, and if you can't remember that fact, you are free to leave!

And so, the vast majority of the crowd in the Stade Oceane burst out into open applause. It was clear what she was referring to. It was also clear she had gone well off script. There would be words being had later. Anyway, onto the next set of votes...

Alors, les cinq points de Teesdexie. Bonsoir Jennifer, pouvons-nous avoirs les cinq points?
So, the five points from Teesdexxia. Good evening Jennifer, may we have the five points?

"Buonasera Normandia e Piccardia, grazie per il meraviglioso spettacolo! Sei bellissima stasera Marie! Wait... did I learn the wrong language. Whoops, it's been a while haha, moving swiftly on from that, here are the"cinque punti" from Teesdexxia, Congratulazioni!"

Darkmania!

Last edited by Normandy and Picardy on Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Normandy and Picardy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

2ème étape | pemecutan

Postby Normandy and Picardy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:09 pm

"Alors, le prochain pays qui attribuera leurs cinq points est le Pemecutan. Bonsoir Rani, pouvez-vous donner les cinq points?
So, the next country who will give their five points is Pemecutan. Good evening Rani, can you give the five points?

Om Swastiastu and Good Evening, Le Havre. I'm here again. And this time I am live from the Jaba Sisi or Outer Square of Jagadnatha Temple in our capital. It is a strong competition we've got this edition. But without further a do, here is our top vote for Pemecutan. And our 5 points goes to...

Northern Beepee!

Congratulations! And good luck everyone. Om Shanti Shanti Shanti Om

Normandy and Picardy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

2ème étape | cassegroche

Postby Normandy and Picardy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:12 pm

Cassegroche, c'est le prochain pays, les prochains cinq points. Bonsoir Boris à Koldovstorez. Nous attendons vos cinq points...
Kassegrochia, that is the next country, the next five points. Good evening Boros in Koldovstorez. We are waiting for your five points...

''Good evening Le Havre! I am happy to announce the points from Kassegrochia. Five points went to..."

Axuva!

Normandy and Picardy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

2ème étape | adab

Postby Normandy and Picardy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:15 pm

"Maintenant, nous allons au Adab pour leurs cinq points. Bonsoir Filippos au... Tibet? Vraiment? Alors, Bonsoir Filippos, pouvons-nous avoirs les cinq points d'Adab.
Now, we go to Adab for their five points. Good Evening Filippos in... Tibet? Really? Well, good evening Filippos, can we have the five points from Adab?

Good evening Le Havre, this is Filippos Eliades. Some of you might remember me from when I provided commentary for WorldVision, but for now I am in Tibet, renewing and rediscovering myself and connecting with the world. But anyway, here's Adab's votes for the WHF. Five points go to...

Britonisea!

Normandy and Picardy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

2ème étape | calosie

Postby Normandy and Picardy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:19 pm

Alors, c'est les cinq points Calosiennes qui sont les prochains. Bonsoir Estrel'a, bonsoir Monterra, pouvons-nous avoir les cinq?
So, it is the five points from Kalosia that are up next. Good evening Estrel'a, good evening Monterra, may we have the five?

"Good evening, bonsoir, bonë serë, buana siara Le Havre! Thank you for such a wonderful show and I wish all the best of luck to all the contestants singing tonight! Without further ado, here are the results of the Kalosian vote. 5 points go to..."

Normandy and Picardy!

Normandy and Picardy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

2ème étape | darquemanie

Postby Normandy and Picardy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:25 pm

As the crowd died down, the hosts having been lifted up, and the crowd fired up by the five points from Kalosia, it was time for the next votes from Darkmania...

Bonsoir Darquemanie! J'espere que je parle avec Jöakym. Pouvez-vous attribuer les cinq points de voix Darquemanienne?
Good evening Darkmania. I hope that I am speaking with Jöakym. Can you present the five points of the Darkmanian vote?

Bonsoir! This is Darkmania calling. What a wonderful show. And we will now annonce the results from Darkmania. But there is a slight problem. We lost the piece of paper containing the vote and we don’t know where it is.

A piece of paper drops from the top.

One moment

Bows down to grab it, then takes a look at it

Found it! Our 5 pointer goes to the lovely nation of …

North Alezia!

Normandy and Picardy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

2ème étape | pas auphélie

Postby Normandy and Picardy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:30 pm

"Alors, c'est le temps pour se tourner vers Pas Auphélie. Bonsoir Salani à Queensport, pouvons-nous avoir les cinq points de Pas Auphélie?
So, it is time to turn to Not Auphelia. Good evening Salani in Queensport, can we have the five points from Not Auphelia?

"Hello from Queensport, World Hit Festival! What a great show you all have put on! Not Auphelia has been so happy to participate for the first time, and to show our thanks we'll get right to it. Our top vote for tonight goes to..."

Achaean Republic!

There was none of the murmuring from the last time they had presented five. It seems that Marie's admonition had worked for now, and in fairness, the majority of the crowd were happy to cheer along and support just one of the many acts, and a rather good one at that (at least by the Multiverse's estimation, so it seems...

Normandy and Picardy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

2ème étape | beepee

Postby Normandy and Picardy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:37 pm

"Maintenant, les cinq points pénultième viennent de Beepee! Bonsoir Bob Uppen-Downe à Norfolk Pinewoods, pouvons-nous avoir les points cruciaux de la voix de Beepee?"
Now, the penultimate five points come from Beepee. Good evening Bob Uppen-Down in Norfolk Pinewoods, can we have the top points from the vote of Beepee?

"Bonsoir Normandie et Picardie. Bonsoir Lé Hâvre in Normand. Bonsoir Marie. Ici Beepee. Marie, tu as été un hôte formidable; et merci pour ce merveilleux spectacle
Et maintenant... Voici le résultat du vote de Beepee."

Good evening Normandy and Picardy. Good evening Lé Hâvre in Normand. Good evening Marie. This is Beepee. Marie, you have been an incredible host; and thank you for this wonderful show. An now... here is the result of Beepee's voting

Normandy and Picardy!

The crowd in the Stade Oceane naturally went wild as Normandy and Picardy went into the lead with one set of points to go. But that one set could still change everything, with three countries still in it for the win...

Normandy and Picardy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

2ème étape | todlichebujoku

Postby Normandy and Picardy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:41 pm

"Et finalement... nous venons de Todlichebujoku, qui décidera le gagnant ou la gagnnante du festival. Bonsoir Noravas, Bonsoir Estegoa, pouvons-nous avoir vos cinq points très importants?
And finally, we come to Todlichebujoku, who will decide the winner of the contest. Good evening Noravas, good evening Estegoa, may we have your very important five points?

"Hello Le Havre, it's Estegoa calling with the Tödlichebujoki votes! Great show tonight, maybe we'll be back soon! Our five points go to..."

THE ACHAEAN REPUBLIC!

Last edited by Normandy and Picardy on Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Achaean Republic
Diplomat

Founded: May 26, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Winner's Reprise: "Pass Me By," Achaean Republic

Postby Achaean Republic » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:11 pm

05. Achaean Republic
"Pass Me By" – Itamar

Language(s): English, Spanish
Lyrics: Itamar Maldonado
Music: Erika Robledo, Andrés Cortina
Tune:American Pie - Shea Diamond

She did it! She finally did it! The whole of the Achaean Republic, the cheering crowd at the Stade Oceane, the stunned observers across the Multiverse with quite contrasting thoughts—livid, anxious, emotional, quixotic, angry, confused, jubilant—would believe that history was made. Itamar and her faithful crew of close friends hugged each other and cried beside each other’s shoulders as they finally did it. For the first time, a trans woman—a true woman, a biological woman, a woman that could feel like a woman, won the World Hit Festival. Marianne from The Intermissión told her before leaving, “When you win, you won’t even know how to breathe!” And there she was, Itamar crying and wheezing from what looks to be her childhood asthma, trying to walk from the green screen to the throngs of screaming fans—and some haters—dying to listen to her voice again.

In the Achaean Republic, a nation used to parties, a nation battered by the pandemic and slowly trying to build itself back up together, many celebrated Itamar’s victory with an immense amount of pride. Not because she was trans. Not because she became an overnight symbol for diversity and human rights in a country that tried so hard to project itself towards an image of wide openness. Not because she was human. But because she was an Achaean. The youth, especially, welcomed Itamar’s victory with open arms, for this became the time to celebrate who they were. Many felt ready to come out and show themselves to the world. Others wanted to embrace their parents and their family (once they were done with their vaccinations, of course!) and show them love. But still others felt pride on their fellow fueguera’s accomplishments. Nobody knew this would be, but it did.

The theme music was once again playing when Itamar finally came out with her crew—confetti all over, audience screams, light boos from bitter haters, waving flags, enormous postcards, pink wombs from funny people scattered around the arena…it was chaotic, just like the first time this happened, a few editions ago in Bovingdon. Now, Le Havre was the stage for a new journey—and Achaea had to pick it back up.

Alors, alors, merci and what have you. Haters are elevators.

Once the Achaean postcard was done and the cameras returned to the cheering crowds at Le Havre, the stage was suddenly illuminated with the nation’s typical red-blue-green colors. A few Achaeans, always loud and boisterous, could be heard waving their flags and speaking Spanish to each other during the few seconds before the transition. For those that were present—and especially to progressive Achaeans—, it was a scene to behold: for the first time, a trans woman would represent the fueguero nation on the World Hit Festival, and it was a point of pride and honor that, despite the somewhat uneven forces against the community in recent times, there are still opportunities to be forged and glass ceilings to be broken.

Itamar, however, did not care about any inspirational applications; she only wanted to sing her song and get off the stage. Not that she didn’t enjoy her time in Le Havre; however, despite maintaining an outlandish, offensive persona, she tried to be practical in her stage presence and management. With the stage lights about to turn on, she only needed to breathe in and breathe out for a few brief moments. She needed to forget about the many times she felt humiliated over being misgendered, or the many microaggressions she faced from society and even her own friends and family over a misunderstanding—not necessarily supporting—her journey. She had to dismiss the critics that questioned her “unwomanly postures” or those pesky trolling radical feminists that couldn’t ignore a woman succeeding as well. That needed to be forgotten, for at least a few minutes.

Then, a light turned on and Itamar was in full view. She wore a white maxi-dress-style butterfly dress that looked like a cross between a kimono and a kaftan. Unlike other fashion choices, this one came from her own closet, being the one she normally uses for some rituals that do not require certain ceremonial sacrifices. It was long, flowy, and elegant, something she would never bother to wear in public (her style concentrates on blacks and greys and reds, intense colors and leathery substances better suited to her industrial fashion). She also wore an off-white cotton headwrap with gold trimmings that reminisced of the tignons imposed to Louisiana black and Creole women in the 18th century. This head-wrap, though, also had space for her to let her golden-brown locks flow. (She joked to paparazzi, “If I bought it, then it’s real!” whenever they shamefully asked if her hair was real or not.) Then again, this was a radically different look than the one she would typically use on the stage. But it’s always important to switch it up sometimes.

Unlike other performances, her countenance and tone of voice was much more contemplative and not as aggressive or repulsive—she used the word repulsive to describe the alienation she wanted to provoke with her music. Instead, she started off singing with her eyes half-gazed on the floor, breathing heavily but not audibly towards the microphone stand, trying to settle her unusual nerves and keeping her cool. Behind her in the center platform, there were her vocalists and musicians, a collection of enbies and nonbinaries that had great voices and auditioned alongside Itamar to perform in Le Havre. Behind them, the stage had blue and white and golden tones on the LED screens that looked more like ink blots akin to a Rorscharch test or the waves of the sea.

Instead, Itamar began her performance with a black-and-white screen barring the bling, with different camera angles capturing each of the verses of the first stanza. As much as she tried to keep a steady face and calm her nerves, it’s impossible for her not to live her fantasy as a soul chanteuse, a conception of femininity she thought it was nigh impossible for a woman of her frame to portray.

I’ve been told that I am bound to waste my youth
Because I’m not afraid to live tested, tried and true
It’s the wrath I’ve faced, I’ve been made so new
The darkness of life won’t leave me blue

It was hard for Itamar to not think of other Achaean performances in the Festival, which always involved some type of movement, be it upwards or downwards or sideways. Yet she was standing, holding tight to her microphone, crooning her discontent to people she never even met before, judging her looks, judging her womanhood, judging herself. Despite all the nimble acrobatics and feats of prowess she could throw at a number—she was a child of the streets, after all—Itamar needed to balance her insecurities with her self-worth. It filled her with anger. It filled her with sadness. The bright cameras were blinding her. The music was too loud. She worried she’d trip on her dress and pratfall down the stage in front of the Multiverse. She worried the backing track would mess up the vocalists’ performances. Too much was going on, and that made her feel powerless all at once.

Flesh and bones, they waste and I’m burning
On fire and glass I bleed and I’m hurting
Who’s to say that looks cannot deceive?
I cannot escape yet I’m skirting
The rules of lie that are always diverting
Who’s to say that looks cannot deceive?

The Spidercam had a frame at Itamar’s body, to which it then retreated to a wide pan view of her in the smaller stage, surrounded by a sea of flags and cheering fans—the Achaeans being prominently the loudest—and providing a view of the stage and the metal “twirl” twinkling with lights. This made the LED “sea” behind her look foamy and somewhat bioluminescent, like the ones on those beaches at night she hasn’t gone to yet. But it was time to work the performance and worry about beaches whenever she has the time to pull a quick vacation.

Her countenance had to be serious and restrained, forceful and brooding like those aforementioned jazz chanteuses. She was never used to take herself so seriously—in private, at least—, yet she needed to present herself as not only serious, but an awkward contradiction between aggrieved and resigned. Instead of loops and theatrics and a few curse words she could slap on for the sake of “art,” Itamar now had to rely on the power of her voice and the strength of her emotional gravitas and hope this would be enough to convince the Multiverse to vote for her. It was hard to not feel agreed for what many critics, even many queer feminists in her country, as they questioned the “minstrel-ness of oppression”, especially with the many intertextualities of her performance: “a black, trans, Latin American woman that, despite her haunting voice and performative accolades, she still feels forced to beg for likes to a hetero-patriarchal world,” wrote one blogger whom she knows was not quite fond of her presence. The criticism, the psychobabble she was used to. But she was always aware of any movements and ulterior motives, more so when she was determined to not let life…pass her by. The anger was there, yes, but that anger transformed into resolution. And that was the resolution she needed to harness.

Don’t want the rest of life to pass me by
What is love, what to try
Enjoy my hands and enjoy my time
Let the world see what I can see
Let them wake up and see how I’m complete

Now she has to sing the part in Spanish. She didn’t mind singing in English, even if Itamar felt she wasn’t proficient enough yet. Of course, she needed to respect the broadcaster’s wishes if she wanted to take the trip to Le Havre—getting out of the contract would be a pain—but if she were honest, she would’ve lobbied to avoid the language switch. But that was her opinion, and that cannot serve as a petty distraction. Itamar has been distracted enough by the forces. Nevertheless, she slowly and tenderly grabbed the microphone stand. It felt weird to keep one position while singing and limiting any sharp movements that would not keep into the song’s tone. She closed her eyes, breathed in, breathed out, and opened them up again. She kept the gaze at the camera, and to the Multiversal viewer at home, watching the performance. It was the time to let the resolution in her mind and body speak for itself. Maybe she should just change her line of work to soul and R&B.

Me han dicho que voy a perder mi juventud
Porque no pierdo el miedo de probar mi virtud
Mi mente se hizo libre de la esclavitud
Y ahora mis días tienen tanta gratitud

In English, she thought, the words sounded quite smooth and reflective. In Spanish, however, the lyrics felt iridescent and determined. She could be both at the same time or place it in different compartments and take them out when need be. It was—damn you, focus! Itamar immediately smacked her neck with the back of her hand as she closed her eyes and wrinkled her neck to the side, making it look like she was involving herself in the performance. (She was, yes, but she also had a terrible pain in the neck after sleeping in an oddly shaped bed and carrying the tension of these last days while rehearsing.) Movements like these would drive them interested, they said, showing a bit of vulnerability, they followed.

The LED screens behind the performers turned from blues and whites and golden wavy patterns to intense crimson and vermillion that also reflected on Itamar’s white gown. From angelical and feminine and aspirational—cunt, cunt, cunt—, a muted but primal energy was bleeding through the stage. It was hard to not think of the many costly surgeries she did in order to make herself look feminine. The humiliations of going to the women’s bathroom and weaning back at the very last minute in order to avoid inducing discomfort to other women…even though she was one. The hormones that made her puke many times over, or the dates that immediately rejected her when they knew she was trans. She was tired—no, definitely, she was tired.

Con la piel y mis huesos quemando
En fuego y vidrio hiriendo y sangrando
¿Quién dijo que el sembante no engañará?
No puedo escapar, mas bordeando
Las reglas de la vida desviando
¿Quién dijo que el sembante no engañará?

Then came the chorus—in Spanish. Like before, she had to look serious and restrained, her voice sultry and ethereal and haunting and a little bit more. In English, Itamar grew more comfortable with the fantasy. In Spanish, though, she felt like she had to struggle to convey the many emotions in her words. That was the word she was looking for: a struggle. It may sound ephemeral and a little bit vain, but even transitioning between two completely distinct languages brought a bittersweet reminder of her own journey. Someone told her years ago, she can’t remember who, that “Everything that is beautiful deserves to be transformed, like a butterfly flapping its wings once it leaves the cocoon.” This she kept with her throughout this time of transition from Israel to Itamar; from rejection to acclamation; from ignominy to infamy. Changing from one language to another also mean conforming so many perspectives into a condensed pair of words that may not even make sense. But yet, she had to keep transforming.

The Spidercam was elevated around Itamar’s waist and zoomed out from afar, almost watching her become engulfed by the flag-waving, hand-raising audience. From this position, as well as the camera on rails, showed her standing with a hand on her microphone stand, another arm moving up and down the air, her body moving and shaking that moved her dress. Then, a slight fog enveloped the stage, covering her feet. She could also feel the little dew drops forming below her feet. The LED screens and the light emanating from them would shine their colors and project them onto the opaque mist. Blue. Pink. Silver or bone white. Pastels. There was a reason, but she didn’t want to be pushy.

No quiero que la vida se haga pasar
¿Qué es el amor? ¿Qué hay que intentar?
Disruto mis manos, mi tiempo igual
Que el mundo vea lo que veo y
Que se despierte una nueva razón

She was born to live, made to love, ready to win. Or at least those were the affirmations she lived by. Now, it was time to switch from English and Spanish while the vocalists keep vamping their vocals from behind her. It was also time to reflect, to show her vocal prowess, her grip and iron grit. You need it when living in Achaea. But now she needed to envelop herself in the music and take this to the end, if there ever was one. If she could not appreciate her own talents, who would do that for her? If she cannot regale herself in her womanhood, who would do that for her. The cameras were staring down Itamar’s countentance, circling around her in the smaller platform and providing brief, side-angle glances of the cheering, flag-waving, barely socially distanced (and hopefully vaccinated) crowds that were present in Le Havre. But it was time to bring closure. She needed it.

What is love, what to try
Enjoy my hands and enjoy my time
Let the world see what I can see
Let them wake up and see how I’m complete

¿Qué es el amor? ¿Qué hay que intentar?
Disruto mis manos, mi tiempo igual
Que el mundo vea lo que veo y
Que se despierte una nueva razón

Once the music died down and the cheering crowds could be heard in full force, Itamar placed her right hand to her heart and took a bow. Her backup singers, good friends she made along the way, also blew kisses and waved at the audience. Itamar, on the other hand, blew kisses at the crowd in every direction and said to her microphone, “¡Gracias, Le Havre! Merci beaucoup!” There she was, wiping her tears and taking away her tignon, showing her full locks of hair with pride. And now she was ready to welcome the Multiverse into her beautiful, tropical, diverse home.

One could hope the Achaean nation was ready to receive them again.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates