NATION

PASSWORD

USA vs UK: On The Matter of the Settlement

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Where would you choose?

UK - London
16
17%
UK - Manchester
18
19%
UK - Edinburgh
27
29%
USA - New York City
9
10%
USA - Boston
13
14%
USA - San Francisco
4
4%
USA - Los Angeles
6
6%
 
Total votes : 93

User avatar
Infected Mushroom
Post Czar
 
Posts: 35406
Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

USA vs UK: On The Matter of the Settlement

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:45 pm

Please consider the following hypothetical:

You are an average member of the middle class; you are a college graduate with just a little work experience but not much. You have no family.

You must choose to either live in the USA or the UK. In both scenarios, you’d have to job hunt, find a place to rent, save up, and try to “make it.”

For the UK option, you have a choice between three cities: London, Manchester, Edinburgh.

For the USA, you have a choice between four cities: New York City, Boston, San Francisco, Los Angeles.

Consider all factors including but not limited to cost of living, convenience, economic opportunities, culture/lifestyle, and other tangibles and intangibles.

Which city fo you choose? What’s important to you in your choice?

I choose London.

My reasoning is UK is better because I would feel safer without the guns. Though things may be more expensive, I dearly value the architectural style of London. The rain is a huge huge huge downside but not enough to mitigate the advantages. I chose London instead of the other cities because it was once the heart of a great empire and I would take pride in living in such a historically important city.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
Washington Resistance Army
Post Czar
 
Posts: 48615
Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:47 pm

None of the above, city living is shit.
Greco-Roman Pagan, Environmentalist, Revolutionary, Gun Manufacturer, State Socialist

User avatar
Suriyanakhon
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1431
Founded: Apr 27, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Suriyanakhon » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:51 pm

None of the above, they're all quite terrible.
Liblefter & Theravada Buddhist
dO yOu LiStEn tO gIrL iN rEd
Johann von Goethe wrote:The God-head is effective in the living and not in the dead, in the becoming and the changing, not in the become and the set-fast; and therefore, similarly the intuition is concerned only to strive towards the divine through the becoming and the living, and logic only to make use of the become and the set-fast.
Resident drowned Victorian waif

User avatar
Saiwania
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18853
Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Saiwania » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:52 pm

The food is no good in the UK from what I can tell, and I can't have fish and chips everyday. It'd have to be the US, but I don't know anything about the cities except that they're Liberal places that're too Liberal. All very expensive places, but I'm sure with high paying jobs if you can manage to get qualified for one.

Would live as if I'm in one or more social classes beneath where I'm really at, and invest the difference to get secure financials if not early retirement.
Last edited by Saiwania on Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Sengoku Americas
Envoy
 
Posts: 218
Founded: Feb 13, 2021
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sengoku Americas » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:55 pm

I choose none of your options and instead move to Kagawa Prefecture, where my friends and I will open our very own organic strawberry farm and live comfortably.
Five nations, one continent.
"Let everyone put forth their full effort for the reconstruction of our wonderful garden!"

Empress Park and Premier Kato's new collaboration album: Journey of Melody
Song in Praise of Feyrisshire Princess Reishi Yuri
The author does not in any way condone war crimes including carpet bombing, chemical warfare, biological attacks, and nuclear strikes
May the light of peace prevail always
大蛙都줄기 내려 아름다운 내 나라
公主님 높이 모신 歓呼声 울려 가네
先祖의 大業 継承者 民族의 領導者
万歳! 万歳! 레이시유리公主

User avatar
Tsaivao
Envoy
 
Posts: 316
Founded: Apr 07, 2020
Anarchy

Postby Tsaivao » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:56 pm

I'm assuming we also don't have to worry about immigration/citizenship into these nations?

For the US, I'd probably go for Boston, as I've been there and it's really nice (even if the road network is abysmal). All four of these options are definitely not very good for fresh-out-of-college middle class American since the cost of living is definitely gonna be higher than comfortable in all four.

For the UK, it's Edinburgh, hands down. I ain't livin' in no limey city. London is far too sprawling and dysfunctional, and Manchester is Manchester.

If I had to pit Edinburgh v Boston I might pick Edinburgh, since UK healthcare and all that, but it'd be a tough choice.

If I really had free choice though, I wouldn't pick any of these options, as the cost of living in all these places is moderate to very high, which would not be good for a fresh graduate who doesn't yet have a job.
~::~ May the five winds guide us to glory ~::~
OPERATION TEN-GO: Tsaivao Authority confirms wormhole drives based on alien designs are functional | Gen. Tsaosin: "Operational integrity is the key to our success against the xenic threat. In a week, we will have already infiltrated into their world." | All leaders of Tsaivao send personal farewells to Ten-Go special forces unit Tsaikantan-8
Nation doesn't reflect my personal beliefs, NS stats aren't really worried about except for Nudity because "haha funny"
The symbol on my flag is supposed to be a typhoon
Pro: LGBT, BLM, Democracy, Democratic Socialism, Rationalism
Neutral: Gun Rights, Abortion, Centrism
Anti: Trumpism, Radicalization, Fundamentalism, Fascism

User avatar
Swedish-Norwegian Kingdoms
Attaché
 
Posts: 73
Founded: Feb 28, 2021
Democratic Socialists

Postby Swedish-Norwegian Kingdoms » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:59 pm

London because UNIVERSAL HEALTHCARE
huh

User avatar
Infected Mushroom
Post Czar
 
Posts: 35406
Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:59 pm

Tsaivao wrote:I'm assuming we also don't have to worry about immigration/citizenship into these nations?


Yes. It’s not intended to be at issue. You’d somehow be a national immediately (so you can factor in the NHS).
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
CoraSpia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11338
Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Anarchy

Postby CoraSpia » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:02 pm

I would choose the USA if I wouldn't have to live in a blue state. Otherwise I'd choose Edinburgh.
GVH has a puppet. He uses it to post in regions and on the forums. The identity of this puppet will forever remain a mystery.

User avatar
Saiwania
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18853
Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Saiwania » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:02 pm

Swedish-Norwegian Kingdoms wrote:London because UNIVERSAL HEALTHCARE


Cancelled out by the UK having no free speech and too much gun control for some people.
If I were a Briton, I'm supposed to just be okay with the British government letting in non-White immigrants from certain countries I don't approve of?
Last edited by Saiwania on Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
CoraSpia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11338
Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Anarchy

Postby CoraSpia » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:04 pm

Saiwania wrote:The food is no good in the UK from what I can tell, and I can't have fish and chips everyday. It'd have to be the US, but I don't know anything about the cities except that they're Liberal places that're too Liberal. All very expensive places, but I'm sure with high paying jobs if you can manage to get qualified for one.

Would live as if I'm in one or more social classes beneath where I'm really at, and invest the difference to get secure financials if not early retirement.

Apparently around 30 years ago, the food in the UK was pretty shit. I'll be going out for dinner in the UK later tonight, because that's where I live; I'm not even in a big city. The dish on the menu at the place I'm going that I prefer is really nice slow-cooked beef cheek with a mustard/mushroom sauce. It's very nice, and I'm impatient.
GVH has a puppet. He uses it to post in regions and on the forums. The identity of this puppet will forever remain a mystery.

User avatar
Tsaivao
Envoy
 
Posts: 316
Founded: Apr 07, 2020
Anarchy

Postby Tsaivao » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:07 pm

Saiwania wrote:
Swedish-Norwegian Kingdoms wrote:London because UNIVERSAL HEALTHCARE


Cancelled out by the UK having no free speech and too much gun control for some people.
If I were a Briton, I'm supposed to just be okay with the British government letting in non-White immigrants from certain countries I don't approve of?

Sai you wouldn't be okay with that no matter what country you were in.

Fortunately for most governments, they don't have to care about which immigrants you personally do or do not approve of.
~::~ May the five winds guide us to glory ~::~
OPERATION TEN-GO: Tsaivao Authority confirms wormhole drives based on alien designs are functional | Gen. Tsaosin: "Operational integrity is the key to our success against the xenic threat. In a week, we will have already infiltrated into their world." | All leaders of Tsaivao send personal farewells to Ten-Go special forces unit Tsaikantan-8
Nation doesn't reflect my personal beliefs, NS stats aren't really worried about except for Nudity because "haha funny"
The symbol on my flag is supposed to be a typhoon
Pro: LGBT, BLM, Democracy, Democratic Socialism, Rationalism
Neutral: Gun Rights, Abortion, Centrism
Anti: Trumpism, Radicalization, Fundamentalism, Fascism

User avatar
Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21580
Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Dakini » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:41 pm

I was just living in Edinburgh for five years and it is my favourite city on the planet, so I'd pick that.

The only pitfalls are the housing prices (though it probably does better than most of that list on that point), the large number of tourists (especially in August) and the fact that Scotland is still stuck in the UK (which means it has been forced out of the EU and gets to deal with the Tories being awful). Otherwise, you have a city that is big enough to be entertaining, small enough to be walkable (though also equipped with an excellent public transit system), full of beautiful parks, lovely scenery, fantastic pubs and, great restaurants (with loads of veggie options), usually getting to see at least one man in a kilt a day (sometimes more if you're lucky). People are also generally pretty nice and odds are you might run into someone you know just randomly walking down the street (it's not "the biggest small toon" for nothing).
Last edited by Dakini on Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21580
Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Dakini » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:42 pm

Swedish-Norwegian Kingdoms wrote:London because UNIVERSAL HEALTHCARE

That's all the UK options.

Except that Edinburgh also has free prescriptions, eye exams and dental check ups because Scotland runs its own version of the NHS.

User avatar
Shofercia
Post Czar
 
Posts: 30638
Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:43 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:Please consider the following hypothetical:

You are an average member of the middle class; you are a college graduate with just a little work experience but not much. You have no family.

You must choose to either live in the USA or the UK. In both scenarios, you’d have to job hunt, find a place to rent, save up, and try to “make it.”

For the UK option, you have a choice between three cities: London, Manchester, Edinburgh.

For the USA, you have a choice between four cities: New York City, Boston, San Francisco, Los Angeles.

Consider all factors including but not limited to cost of living, convenience, economic opportunities, culture/lifestyle, and other tangibles and intangibles.

Which city fo you choose? What’s important to you in your choice?

I choose London.

My reasoning is UK is better because I would feel safer without the guns. Though things may be more expensive, I dearly value the architectural style of London. The rain is a huge huge huge downside but not enough to mitigate the advantages. I chose London instead of the other cities because it was once the heart of a great empire and I would take pride in living in such a historically important city.


Edinburgh, Los Angeles, Manchester, Boston, London, San Francisco, New York City. Edinburgh is the best of the bunch in terms of what I'm looking for, and I enjoyed my stay there. LA ain't too bad, the city mastered diversity, although it's experiencing a homeless crisis due to the sheer ineptitude of its leadership. Prior to homelessness crisis, it was fun to visit. Manchester's that industrial hub, but you have to be rough to make it, and always keeping that up is, well, rough. Boston's the Americanized Manchester, one without good healthcare.

London's a beautiful city, but it's declining in value, (IMHO,) so not sure if it's worth it, plus it's heavily overpriced, especially for the middle class. San Francisco is one of the few shrinking cities of California, heavily overpriced, woke, and lots of homeless. New York City has a city income tax, in addition to all of the issues that are going on with London and SF.

Edinburgh is a city where I can see myself living. LA if it cleans up its act, sure, why not? The rest? Maybe fun to visit, but not to make a life in.
Stonk Power! No Period of Self-Reflection needed!
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
If we tell the radical Republicans that there's proof that Global Warming doesn't exist in Death Valley, and the radical Democrats that there's proof of Russian Collusion there, would we have a better America?

(North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia! DonBass is De Facto Independent! Let's have a Referendum for NovoRossiya!
Tecumseh was a Real American

User avatar
Drongonia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1751
Founded: Feb 11, 2019
New York Times Democracy

Postby Drongonia » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:43 pm

Edinburgh. It's by far the safest of the cities and the thought of living in the United States is truly awful.
Republic of Drongonia | The conservative MT powerhouse of the South Pacific. | Drongonia's Index Index! | Note to me: remember to catch up on the IDI/IFI, dummy

News via TVDG: Police deny wrongdoing after violent arrest video circulates online | Parliament votes against joining NZ PM's "Christchurch Call" | Govt, PM retain popularity despite protests
Factbooks: Overview | Political Parties | Our Leader | Defence Force Info | OOC Info | [NEW!] Faces of Drongonia
Cavirfi wrote:It's nice to see someone who acts as an RP Census Man. Where is measuring statistics when we need it?

User avatar
Shofercia
Post Czar
 
Posts: 30638
Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:46 pm

Drongonia wrote:Edinburgh. It's by far the safest of the cities and the thought of living in the United States is truly awful.


I love your sig!
Stonk Power! No Period of Self-Reflection needed!
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
If we tell the radical Republicans that there's proof that Global Warming doesn't exist in Death Valley, and the radical Democrats that there's proof of Russian Collusion there, would we have a better America?

(North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia! DonBass is De Facto Independent! Let's have a Referendum for NovoRossiya!
Tecumseh was a Real American

User avatar
CoraSpia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11338
Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Anarchy

Postby CoraSpia » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:49 pm

Dakini wrote:I was just living in Edinburgh for five years and it is my favourite city on the planet, so I'd pick that.

The only pitfalls are the housing prices (though it probably does better than most of that list on that point), the large number of tourists (especially in August) and the fact that Scotland is still stuck in the UK (which means it has been forced out of the EU and gets to deal with the Tories being awful). Otherwise, you have a city that is big enough to be entertaining, small enough to be walkable (though also equipped with an excellent public transit system), full of beautiful parks, lovely scenery, fantastic pubs and, great restaurants (with loads of veggie options), usually getting to see at least one man in a kilt a day (sometimes more if you're lucky). People are also generally pretty nice and odds are you might run into someone you know just randomly walking down the street (it's not "the biggest small toon" for nothing).

I'd say that the best pubs are a little way out of Edinburgh proper, in Leith. Does that count?
GVH has a puppet. He uses it to post in regions and on the forums. The identity of this puppet will forever remain a mystery.

User avatar
Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21580
Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Dakini » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:05 am

CoraSpia wrote:
Dakini wrote:I was just living in Edinburgh for five years and it is my favourite city on the planet, so I'd pick that.

The only pitfalls are the housing prices (though it probably does better than most of that list on that point), the large number of tourists (especially in August) and the fact that Scotland is still stuck in the UK (which means it has been forced out of the EU and gets to deal with the Tories being awful). Otherwise, you have a city that is big enough to be entertaining, small enough to be walkable (though also equipped with an excellent public transit system), full of beautiful parks, lovely scenery, fantastic pubs and, great restaurants (with loads of veggie options), usually getting to see at least one man in a kilt a day (sometimes more if you're lucky). People are also generally pretty nice and odds are you might run into someone you know just randomly walking down the street (it's not "the biggest small toon" for nothing).

I'd say that the best pubs are a little way out of Edinburgh proper, in Leith. Does that count?

Leith didn't used to be part of Edinburgh, but it's basically been amalgamated into the city. I have some friends who live in Leith and it's nice enough and it does have some good pubs (though at least one has been a victim of the pandemic, I'm not sure about the others). My favourite pubs are more central.

User avatar
CoraSpia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11338
Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Anarchy

Postby CoraSpia » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:10 am

Dakini wrote:
CoraSpia wrote:I'd say that the best pubs are a little way out of Edinburgh proper, in Leith. Does that count?

Leith didn't used to be part of Edinburgh, but it's basically been amalgamated into the city. I have some friends who live in Leith and it's nice enough and it does have some good pubs (though at least one has been a victim of the pandemic, I'm not sure about the others). My favourite pubs are more central.

Wait, what's gone away? If it's Teuchters landing it'll be very sad.
GVH has a puppet. He uses it to post in regions and on the forums. The identity of this puppet will forever remain a mystery.

User avatar
Alien Overlord
Envoy
 
Posts: 329
Founded: Feb 10, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Alien Overlord » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:12 am

All of the United States options are bad. They are all anti-gun and for that reason I would never want to live in them. That being said England in general has a much stricter grip on the population and their oppressive policies are even less attractive. While I'd prefer any Republican dominated state in the US, i suppose any of the US cities would do since I could still travel outside in order to hunt and do other things.
Walkerfort wrote:so...




Banning cars will lead to a clusterfuck of mininations everywhere and attempting to mash two Eras together miserably and 1984 style dictatorships


butterfly effect when give a butterfly cocaine


Ayissor wrote:
Alien Overlord wrote:You mean the proles living in tribes right? The ones who were also brainwashed 1984 style?

Yup, who else? Workers? Ha, as if we need them in our anarcho-primitivist-orwellian utopia dystopia federation.

User avatar
CoraSpia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11338
Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Anarchy

Postby CoraSpia » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:18 am

Alien Overlord wrote:All of the United States options are bad. They are all anti-gun and for that reason I would never want to live in them. That being said England in general has a much stricter grip on the population and their oppressive policies are even less attractive. While I'd prefer any Republican dominated state in the US, i suppose any of the US cities would do since I could still travel outside in order to hunt and do other things.

That was entirely my point. If the choice was whether I wanted to stay in England texas or Tennessee, IM could buy me a plane ticket.
GVH has a puppet. He uses it to post in regions and on the forums. The identity of this puppet will forever remain a mystery.

User avatar
Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21580
Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Dakini » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:26 am

CoraSpia wrote:
Dakini wrote:Leith didn't used to be part of Edinburgh, but it's basically been amalgamated into the city. I have some friends who live in Leith and it's nice enough and it does have some good pubs (though at least one has been a victim of the pandemic, I'm not sure about the others). My favourite pubs are more central.

Wait, what's gone away? If it's Teuchters landing it'll be very sad.

To my knowledge, Teuchters is still there. Stewart Brewing had opened a pub out in Leith which has been lost to the pandemic.

User avatar
Roegerland
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 170
Founded: Mar 15, 2020
Corporate Bordello

Postby Roegerland » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:27 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:My reasoning is UK is better because I would feel safer without the guns.


Lol allow me to introduce you to the good old kitchen knife.
Last edited by Roegerland on Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
✸✸✸✸✸

User avatar
An Alan Smithee Nation
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7170
Founded: Apr 18, 2018
New York Times Democracy

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:32 am

Edinburgh would be my first choice, then San Francisco. I wouldn't particularly want to live in any of the other cities. My impressions of US cities come mainly from films, Boston seems like a horrible place based on all the films set there.
Last edited by An Alan Smithee Nation on Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everything is intertwinkled

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Albrenia, Dowaesk, Infected Mushroom, Just-An-Illusion, Kowani, Muzehnaya, Washington Resistance Army, Wolfsdale

Advertisement

Remove ads