NATION

PASSWORD

Why do different religions share many similarities?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Are all religions right in a way?

Yes
13
18%
No
60
82%
 
Total votes : 73

User avatar
Vorausen
Envoy
 
Posts: 244
Founded: Mar 13, 2021
Iron Fist Consumerists

Why do different religions share many similarities?

Postby Vorausen » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:18 am

Monotheism is the belief in a single deity or god, and one of the greatest examples of this are the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam). While most people believe and think that the beliefs of these religions (whether it comes to a belief in a single god, traditions, etc) are unique, there are many examples taht show otherwise. Take Zoroastrianism for example. Just like the Abrahamic religions , Zoroastrianism believe sin a single god and shares similar beliefs on heaven, hell, and the battle between good and evil.

There are also plenty of stories from the Abrahamic religions that are shared with other religions , including the story of Adam and Eve, Noah’s ark, the creation story.

I could go on and on about the many similarities different religions have with each other, but the conclusion is still the same,
the Abrahamic religions are not unique in their beliefs, nor is any religion completely unique in belief.

So that begs the question, why is this so? Could it be that all religions are just interpretations of the same divine being? Are all religions right in a sense and is just a different cultural perspective from around the world? Tell me what you think NSG.
Last edited by Farnhamia on Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Corrected typo in the title

User avatar
Dogmeat
Minister
 
Posts: 2948
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:16 am

No. And it's telling that you picked religions that basically grew up together. If they're similar, it's because they weren't isolated. They didn't evolve in a vacuum. They influenced each other.
Last edited by Dogmeat on Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 113805
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:22 am

No.

Even in your example most jews svoff at the notion xtianity is monotheistic.
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.

http://www.salientpartners.com/epsilont ... ilizations

User avatar
Risottia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 53478
Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Risottia » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:23 am

Vorausen wrote:... Could it be that all religions are just interpretations of the same divine being? Are all religions right in a sense and is just a different cultural perspective from around the world?

NO.
There are even atheistic religions. Deities aren't a necessary part of religions, so no. Also, religions are about belief, not about facts, so no, they cannot be "right" in the same sense that GR is "right".
Statanist through and through.
Evilutionist Atheist Crusadjihadist. "Darwinu Akhbar! Dawkins vult!"
Founder of the NSG Peace Prize Committee.
I'm back.
SUMMER, BLOODY SUMMER!

User avatar
Genivaria
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 67388
Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Genivaria » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:24 am

Vorausen wrote:Monotheism is the belief in a single deity or god, and one of the greatest examples of this are the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam). While most people believe and think that the beliefs of these religions (whether it comes to a belief in a single god, traditions, etc) are unique, there are many examples taht show otherwise. Take Zoroastrianism for example. Just like the Abrahamic religions , Zoroastrianism believe sin a single god and shares similar beliefs on heaven, hell, and the battle between good and evil.

There are also plenty of stories from the Abrahamic religions that are shared with other religions , including the story of Adam and Eve, Noah’s ark, the creation story.

I could go on and on about the many similarities different religions have with each other, but the conclusion is still the same,
the Abrahamic religions are not unique in their beliefs, nor is any religion completely unique in belief.

So that begs the question, why is this so? Could it be that all religions are just interpretations of the same divine being? Are all religions right in a sense and is just a different cultural perspective from around the world? Tell me what you think NSG.

You say 'all religions' yet you only mention religions from the same area in the middle east, of fucking course there will be similarities.
Liberal Social Democrat. Socialist. Solidarity Forever!
The DNC is better than the GOP like Manslaughter is better than Murder: Seems like a lesser crime, but the victim can't tell the difference.

User avatar
Vorausen
Envoy
 
Posts: 244
Founded: Mar 13, 2021
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Vorausen » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:24 am

Dogmeat wrote:No. And it's telling that you picked religions that basically grew up together. If they're similar, it's because they weren't isolated. They didn't evolve in a vacuum. They influenced each other.



How would that explain how basic morals and values like the need for sacrifice (whether personal or actual sacrifice) is a value in religions across the world, some that have never met each other. Really look at the religions a round the world, especially the ones that never came into contact with each other and you will see what I mean.

User avatar
The Taron Equalist Kingdom
Civilian
 
Posts: 1
Founded: Mar 02, 2021
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Taron Equalist Kingdom » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:24 am

Vorausen wrote:Monotheism is the belief in a single deity or god, and one of the greatest examples of this are the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam). While most people believe and think that the beliefs of these religions (whether it comes to a belief in a single god, traditions, etc) are unique, there are many examples taht show otherwise. Take Zoroastrianism for example. Just like the Abrahamic religions , Zoroastrianism believe sin a single god and shares similar beliefs on heaven, hell, and the battle between good and evil.

There are also plenty of stories from the Abrahamic religions that are shared with other religions , including the story of Adam and Eve, Noah’s ark, the creation story.

I could go on and on about the many similarities different religions have with each other, but the conclusion is still the same,
the Abrahamic religions are not unique in their beliefs, nor is any religion completely unique in belief.

So that begs the question, why is this so? Could it be that all religions are just interpretations of the same divine being? Are all religions right in a sense and is just a different cultural perspective from around the world? Tell me what you think NSG.


No, I don't believe religions are the same because Jesus and Muhammed were born in different places and Hinduism has more than a million gods.

User avatar
Neanderthaland
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7480
Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:28 am

Vorausen wrote:
Dogmeat wrote:No. And it's telling that you picked religions that basically grew up together. If they're similar, it's because they weren't isolated. They didn't evolve in a vacuum. They influenced each other.



How would that explain how basic morals and values like the need for sacrifice (whether personal or actual sacrifice) is a value in religions across the world, some that have never met each other. Really look at the religions a round the world, especially the ones that never came into contact with each other and you will see what I mean.

Human psychology.

If you've assigned agency to the universe (or some facet of it), and it seems to be behaving against you (storms, earthquakes, whatever), then it makes sense to humans to believe that they have offended it somehow, and to placate it. Sacrifice is a way to do that, although not an uncontroversial one. And a lot of religions take a great deal of offense to it.

I don't think that you will find really ANY "basic morals and values" in common between say... Buddhism and Nahuatl religion.
Last edited by Neanderthaland on Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

User avatar
Northern Socialist Council Republics
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1005
Founded: Dec 13, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Northern Socialist Council Republics » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:29 am

Vorausen wrote:how basic morals [...] is a value in religions across the world

Really? Considering that things like human sacrifice - that your average Christian or Muslim would find incredibly immoral - have been practiced by certain historical religions, this statement really needs justification.

Vorausen wrote:and values like the need for sacrifice (whether personal or actual sacrifice)

People who sacrifice things for a belief tend to hold on to that belief quite tightly even in the face of contravening evidence because people have a psychological tendency against admitting to themselves that they made bad choices. Obviously, given selective pressure, the religions that are more prone to being held tightly and propagated to other people tend to be the religions that survive across the millennia.
Last edited by Northern Socialist Council Republics on Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Call me "Russ" if you're referring to me the out-of-character poster or "NSRS" if you're referring to me the in-character nation.
Previously on Plzen. NationStates-er since 2014.

Social-democrat and hardline secularist.
Come roleplay with us. We have cookies.

User avatar
Major-Tom
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14847
Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Major-Tom » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:31 am

I'm not particularly religious, but if I were, I'd probably operate under the basis that most religions have gotten at least some stuff right. I think, to the OPs point, many world religions and their belief systems are a lot more similar than one might initially assume.

That doesn't mean they're "all right," just that they probably hit some of the same key points here and there.
Last edited by Major-Tom on Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We're flawed because we want so much. We're ruined because we get these things and wish for what we had."
Who is Tom?
Other Pertinent Factbooks

User avatar
Vorausen
Envoy
 
Posts: 244
Founded: Mar 13, 2021
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Vorausen » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:31 am

The Taron Equalist Kingdom wrote:
Vorausen wrote:Monotheism is the belief in a single deity or god, and one of the greatest examples of this are the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam). While most people believe and think that the beliefs of these religions (whether it comes to a belief in a single god, traditions, etc) are unique, there are many examples taht show otherwise. Take Zoroastrianism for example. Just like the Abrahamic religions , Zoroastrianism believe sin a single god and shares similar beliefs on heaven, hell, and the battle between good and evil.

There are also plenty of stories from the Abrahamic religions that are shared with other religions , including the story of Adam and Eve, Noah’s ark, the creation story.

I could go on and on about the many similarities different religions have with each other, but the conclusion is still the same,
the Abrahamic religions are not unique in their beliefs, nor is any religion completely unique in belief.

So that begs the question, why is this so? Could it be that all religions are just interpretations of the same divine being? Are all religions right in a sense and is just a different cultural perspective from around the world? Tell me what you think NSG.


No, I don't believe religions are the same because Jesus and Muhammed were born in different places and Hinduism has more than a million gods.



I said in a way... for example I don’t agree with every single practice of every single religion, but I agree with some ideas. For example, Buddhism I agree with the idea that if I do good things, good things will happen to me in return. I could go on and on.


It’s not that I agree with everything and believing that every religion is right at the same time , it’s instead recognizing that we have more similarities than we may think.

User avatar
Neanderthaland
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7480
Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:32 am

Any similarities that exist stem from the fact that all religions are born of the human mind, and so have human biases.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

User avatar
Vorausen
Envoy
 
Posts: 244
Founded: Mar 13, 2021
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Vorausen » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:33 am

Major-Tom wrote:I'm not particularly religious, but if I were, I'd probably operate under the basis that most religions have gotten at least some stuff right. I think, to the OPs point, many world religions and their belief systems are a lot more similar than one might initially assume.

That doesn't mean they're "all right," just that they probably hit some of the same key points here and there.



Exactly my point, but rather they hit some key important ideas. Saying that another religion is completely wrong and yours is completely right would be ignoring entire beliefs.

User avatar
Major-Tom
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14847
Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Major-Tom » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:36 am

Vorausen wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:I'm not particularly religious, but if I were, I'd probably operate under the basis that most religions have gotten at least some stuff right. I think, to the OPs point, many world religions and their belief systems are a lot more similar than one might initially assume.

That doesn't mean they're "all right," just that they probably hit some of the same key points here and there.



Exactly my point, but rather they hit some key important ideas. Saying that another religion is completely wrong and yours is completely right would be ignoring entire beliefs.


Sure. I think the question of "why" they might hit a lot of the same ideas has less to do with their theistic "correctness" than it does human nature. Even in a lot of antiquity belief systems, there was an emphasis of "morality," for a lack of a better world, the golden rule, really. As for the supposed origins of the universe, beliefs about omnipresence in organized religions, etc etc, I still err towards saying the similarities stem from a subconscious desire to explain the "why" of everything.

But, generally, I take an open enough mind on the topic of religion that I can't be so sure I'm right here.
"We're flawed because we want so much. We're ruined because we get these things and wish for what we had."
Who is Tom?
Other Pertinent Factbooks

User avatar
Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 22771
Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:37 am

Zoroastrianism, as I understand it, believes in two gods; not just one.

A good god, Ahura Mazda, and an evil god, Ahriman. That would make Zoroastrianism technically dualist, not monotheist.

That being said, I don't know that much about Zoroastrianism.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist.

”I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.”- Faramir, The Two Towers

“No one in the world can change Truth. What we can do and should do is to seek truth and to serve it when we have found it. The real conflict is the inner conflict. Beyond armies of occupation and the hecatombs of extermination camps, there are two irreconcilable enemies in the depth of every soul: good and evil, sin and love. And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?”
~ St. Maximilian Kolbe

User avatar
The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21967
Founded: May 23, 2004
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:42 am

Vorausen wrote:
Dogmeat wrote:No. And it's telling that you picked religions that basically grew up together. If they're similar, it's because they weren't isolated. They didn't evolve in a vacuum. They influenced each other.



How would that explain how basic morals and values like the need for sacrifice (whether personal or actual sacrifice) is a value in religions across the world, some that have never met each other. Really look at the religions a round the world, especially the ones that never came into contact with each other and you will see what I mean.


For similar reasons as to why most religions have a story about a big devastating flood.
Of course, if you use basic human behaviour like living near bodies of water as the starting point to properly define humans - that could be interesting.
Last edited by The Alma Mater on Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

User avatar
Washington Resistance Army
Post Czar
 
Posts: 48615
Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:43 am

Salus Maior wrote:Zoroastrianism, as I understand it, believes in two gods; not just one.

A good god, Ahura Mazda, and an evil god, Ahriman. That would make Zoroastrianism technically dualist, not monotheist.

That being said, I don't know that much about Zoroastrianism.


It gets even more convoluted because the Yazata are just pre-Zoroastrian gods and their collective name even means "worthy of worship". Tl;dr is Zoroastrianism does not fit easily into any "ism" as it has elements of monotheism, dualism and polytheism.
Greco-Roman Pagan, Environmentalist, Revolutionary, Gun Manufacturer, State Socialist

User avatar
Kaledoria
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1524
Founded: Jul 06, 2010
Libertarian Police State

Postby Kaledoria » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:03 am

Is the Lord of the Rings a true and historically accurate book? Well, there are mountains and trees and a dude who became king and a war - all those things existed/happened in the real world, too, so yeah in a way it's true even though there are also hobbits and elves and a ring of power and the geography of Middle earth, that are not exactly historically accurate and all the names and people are different. - But other aspects are right, right?

Comparing Ahura Mazda with Yahweh and Allah sounds okay, comparing Ahriman to the Devil is a little more far fetched but whatever. Comparing Hel or Sutur from the Norse Paganism to the Devil and Odin to God is outright wrong. Comparing Ask and Embla to Adam and Eve works and comparing Ragnarok to Armageddon works if you really push it. I'm sure you can even find some aspects of Hinduism that have some parallels in some other religion, too. But there are other aspects that don't work and not a single thing is common among all religions. As the "certified fiction" example shows, if you write enough stuff, some things will be right anyway but that does not mean that the overall thing is right in any meaningful way, as long as there are central aspects, that are wrong.

User avatar
Loeje
Diplomat
 
Posts: 849
Founded: Feb 02, 2021
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Loeje » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:07 am

Abrahamic religions are similar because they're related. Shinto and Christianity would be much less similar, as an example. Anyway, no, all religions are not the same, and they're not all equally right either.
End Vaccine Nationalism!
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8
"Whoever oppresses the poor to increase his own wealth, or gives to the rich, will only come to poverty." Proverbs 22:16

User avatar
Greater Cosmicium
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 188
Founded: Mar 29, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Greater Cosmicium » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:10 am

Vorausen wrote:Monotheism is the belief in a single deity or god, and one of the greatest examples of this are the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam). While most people believe and think that the beliefs of these religions (whether it comes to a belief in a single god, traditions, etc) are unique, there are many examples taht show otherwise. Take Zoroastrianism for example. Just like the Abrahamic religions , Zoroastrianism believe sin a single god and shares similar beliefs on heaven, hell, and the battle between good and evil.

There are also plenty of stories from the Abrahamic religions that are shared with other religions , including the story of Adam and Eve, Noah’s ark, the creation story.

I could go on and on about the many similarities different religions have with each other, but the conclusion is still the same,
the Abrahamic religions are not unique in their beliefs, nor is any religion completely unique in belief.

So that begs the question, why is this so? Could it be that all religions are just interpretations of the same divine being? Are all religions right in a sense and is just a different cultural perspective from around the world? Tell me what you think NSG.


Yeah... This sort of religious topic is totally gonna lead to a civilized and reasonable discussion, like it always has.
obvious /s, I expect a flamewar that no mod could defuse to start sometime in the next few pages
Last edited by Greater Cosmicium on Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
✯✯✯ UNIVERSAL EMPIRE OF GREATER COSMICIUM ✯✯✯
Military Hub
Geography Hub
History Hub
Economy Hub

Doing a total rewrite of this nation to shake off its generic space empire image.
NS stats were dropped into Diet Coke to finally serve a useful purpose for Greater Cosmicium.
10/05/1072918 | Cosmi-Web News: [LIT] "The Remnants of Cosmicium" predicts Cosmicium's doom with shocking accuracy, say temporal scientists | Cosmician Press Agency: 8th IRC cancelled after accusations of race fixing against Nasorol Team by IRC officials, to be restarted in June

User avatar
Neanderthaland
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7480
Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:35 am

Kaledoria wrote:Is the Lord of the Rings a true and historically accurate book? Well, there are mountains and trees and a dude who became king and a war - all those things existed/happened in the real world, too, so yeah in a way it's true even though there are also hobbits and elves and a ring of power and the geography of Middle earth, that are not exactly historically accurate and all the names and people are different. - But other aspects are right, right?

Comparing Ahura Mazda with Yahweh and Allah sounds okay, comparing Ahriman to the Devil is a little more far fetched but whatever. Comparing Hel or Sutur from the Norse Paganism to the Devil and Odin to God is outright wrong. Comparing Ask and Embla to Adam and Eve works and comparing Ragnarok to Armageddon works if you really push it. I'm sure you can even find some aspects of Hinduism that have some parallels in some other religion, too. But there are other aspects that don't work and not a single thing is common among all religions. As the "certified fiction" example shows, if you write enough stuff, some things will be right anyway but that does not mean that the overall thing is right in any meaningful way, as long as there are central aspects, that are wrong.

I really enjoyed that part of Revelations where Jesus and Fenrir killed each other in single combat.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

User avatar
The New California Republic
Post Czar
 
Posts: 34053
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:44 am

No. Cherrypicked examples don't prove that.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
Arisyan
Envoy
 
Posts: 288
Founded: Apr 05, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Postby Arisyan » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:47 am

oh no. Not again. *curls into a ball*

But no, they are all equally wrong. I mean, I guess Buddhism is right in a sense, but still mostly wrong. Can we move on?
Pro: Environmentalism, Eco-Socialism, Democratic Socialism, Social Democracy,Progressivism, Pro-choice, Pro-LGTBQ+ rights, Immigration, Bernie Sanders,Secularism, Palestine And Israel, Internationalism, Alter-Globalization.
Anti: Conservatism, Traditionalism, Bigotry, TERF movement, Fascism, Stalinism, Totalitarianism, Laissez-faire capitalism, Libertarianism, Bolsonaro, Religious Fundamentalism, Nationalism


Former Judge of Callista, Former Secretary of State and Minister of Foreign Affairs of Bluecrown Keep.
left-wing socialist
Anatoliyanskiy's OOC nation he uses to debate on NSG.

User avatar
Vorausen
Envoy
 
Posts: 244
Founded: Mar 13, 2021
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Vorausen » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:56 am

Salus Maior wrote:Zoroastrianism, as I understand it, believes in two gods; not just one.

A good god, Ahura Mazda, and an evil god, Ahriman. That would make Zoroastrianism technically dualist, not monotheist.

That being said, I don't know that much about Zoroastrianism.


Not exactly at least from what I know. It’s like saying Christianality says that there’s two guards, rather instead is God, and the less powerful satan. Do you like to learn more I recommend checking out this article I’ll put a link to it.

https://people.howstuffworks.com/zoroastrianism.htm

The article said something about what your saying:
Central to the Zoroastrian belief system is the idea that Ahura Mazda, the supreme being of goodness and light, is opposed by Angra Mainyu, a powerful (but not equally powerful) spirit of darkness and evil. The embodiment of this evil spirit is Ahriman, the equivalent of Satan or the Devil.

User avatar
Socialist States of Ludistan
Diplomat
 
Posts: 858
Founded: Apr 21, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Socialist States of Ludistan » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:59 am

There are by far over 2000 religions on Earth, not every single one can be right.
And this is on Earth alone, think about all the religions that humanity just hasn’t thought of, do you know how many there are? If not, the answer is infinite. It is quite literally impossible for every religion to be right, even if we just count those on Earth.
“Communism is the definition of failure.”
- Liberty Prime




Member of DEA and IDSF

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aggicificicerous, Google [Bot], Kiu Ghesik, Kowani, Monsone, Muzehnaya, Nakena, New haven america, Shrillland, Wolfsdale

Advertisement

Remove ads