NATION

PASSWORD

April Fools Minigame 2021? (The Best Nation in the World!)

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:28 pm

Tweaks to the matchmaking could make this a good fun permanent feature, like the challenge minigame. Maybe an opt-in system?

There just wasn't enough time for things to play out in 28 hours.
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:32 pm

Great Algerstonia wrote:
Parxland wrote:This April Fools event was disappointing and I think it could have been a lot better by letting people manually choose who the best nation was out of the whole community pool, maybe with some mechanism for preference voting. I lost count of the times I picked 'neither' because all the choices were faceless 'r/d'/card-farm puppets. Even though "829,257 votes were cast", the RNG was frustrating and kept me from having fun with this.

I agree. To add to this, you shouldve been able to only vote for WA nations

Woulda been unfair tho.

Anyone knows who was the lowest ranked nation? (Besides unranked people)
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

New Jacobland
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby New Jacobland » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:34 pm

GG Farnhamia!
Link here

My nation does not reflect my IRL views

If I am in a non-The Western Isles RP, ignore all factbooks not marked [FORUM].

Dislikes: Guns, warfare, CCP, Modi, North Korea, cigarettes

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum
Minister

Founded: Sep 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:43 pm

Noahs Second Country wrote:Tweaks to the matchmaking could make this a good fun permanent feature, like the challenge minigame. Maybe an opt-in system?

There just wasn't enough time for things to play out in 28 hours.
Please make it a permanent mini game. Nation-states can be a little more fun and there must be some information showing how many votes we got :)
Sosyal Demokrat Kemalist
Zayıf Agnostik
LGBT Destekçisi
-3.13 -4.77
Türk %76,2 ☾☆
Slav %22,4
Çinli %1

Mombombu
Attaché

Founded: Mar 20, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Mombombu » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:46 pm

i dunno about you guys but im not really enjoying this years april fools event

usually it's an interesting concept, like nukes, or cryptocurrency, or trading cards but this year its basically just flipping a coin and it doesn't feel all that interactive

just my two cents, i dont mean to devalue any of the work that was put into it

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:54 pm

Farnhamia I congratulate you :clap:

nations that I wish them to win.
Samudera
The African Emirates
Sosyal Demokrat Kemalist
Zayıf Agnostik
LGBT Destekçisi
-3.13 -4.77
Türk %76,2 ☾☆
Slav %22,4
Çinli %1

Strike
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Strike » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:22 pm

Violet wrote:
North Prarie wrote:This would be cooler if you could go to a nation page and give them a vote. Then regions could go against each other and it would become a fun arms race, similar to N-Day.

This time I tried to avoid the type of contest that gets immediately dominated by players with thousands of puppets, as it's hard work fending off bots during these events. It's meant as more of an exploratory journey through parts of NationStates you might not normally see. But I understand that team-based competitive events are more fun for a lot of people.

Its nice to have things that are different though and I think this almost worked. Honestly, as seriously un-fun as it was with all the puppets, I still kept coming back and playing a little more just to see if RNG would produce any nation I'd ever heard of before .... which was fun in a pulling card packs kind of way but also thankful the event has ended and I'm not tempted to keep doing it kind of way.

How about we do it again

This time you only get nations from your region to go up against each other. At the end of the first time period, all 1st place nations in all regions get moved to a second pool where the global game commences.

Seems best of both worlds. You have a mini-game that people can actually care about because its comparing nations they are familiar with, then, you have a global game that is interesting because the participants are both pre-filtered and more relevant but at the same time incredibly diverse and disparate.
Last edited by Strike on Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:44 pm

Strike wrote:
Violet wrote:This time I tried to avoid the type of contest that gets immediately dominated by players with thousands of puppets, as it's hard work fending off bots during these events. It's meant as more of an exploratory journey through parts of NationStates you might not normally see. But I understand that team-based competitive events are more fun for a lot of people.

Its nice to have things that are different though and I think this almost worked. Honestly, as seriously un-fun as it was with all the puppets, I still kept coming back and playing a little more just to see if RNG would produce any nation I'd ever heard of before .... which was fun in a pulling card packs kind of way but also thankful the event has ended and I'm not tempted to keep doing it kind of way.

How about we do it again

This time you only get nations from your region to go up against each other. At the end of the first time period, all 1st place nations in all regions get moved to a second pool where the global game commences.

Seems best of both worlds. You have a mini-game that people can actually care about because its comparing nations they are familiar with, then, you have a global game that is interesting because the participants are both pre-filtered and more relevant but at the same time incredibly diverse and disparate.
I think the only problem with the current vote is not seeing the number of votes. Puppet nations are also a nation, I don't understand why they make you so uncomfortable.
Sosyal Demokrat Kemalist
Zayıf Agnostik
LGBT Destekçisi
-3.13 -4.77
Türk %76,2 ☾☆
Slav %22,4
Çinli %1

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Goobergunchia » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:01 pm

I don't think seeing puppets is inherently bad because if somebody has some cool themed puppets that they've put work into, it's not a bad thing to give them a bit more visibility. I also don't mind seeing, like, shared Founder nations or similar. And I definitely wouldn't want a feature making it publicly visible that a nation was a puppet, even if its puppetmaster remained secret.

The big problem is low-effort puppets that don't have their own national identities (like the Wombles, or obvious card farms, or obvious R/D nations sitting in jump points) and I suspect that excluding the big Puppet Storage regions would mitigate this problem to the extent that it would be at most a minor annoyance.
(+5175 posts from mostly pre-Jolt)
Making NationStates a different place since 17 May 2003.
ADN Advisor (Ret.)
Nasicournian Officer
Citizen of the Rejected Realms
Discord: Goobergunch#2417
Ideological Bulwark #16
Sponsor, HR#22, SC#4
Rules: GA SC
NS Game Moderator
For your forum moderation needs: The Moderation Forum
For your in-game moderation needs: The Getting Help Page
What are the rules? See the OSRS.
Who are the mods, anyway?

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:06 pm

Goobergunchia wrote:I don't think seeing puppets is inherently bad because if somebody has some cool themed puppets that they've put work into, it's not a bad thing to give them a bit more visibility. I also don't mind seeing, like, shared Founder nations or similar. And I definitely wouldn't want a feature making it publicly visible that a nation was a puppet, even if its puppetmaster remained secret.

The big problem is low-effort puppets that don't have their own national identities (like the Wombles, or obvious card farms, or obvious R/D nations sitting in jump points) and I suspect that excluding the big Puppet Storage regions would mitigate this problem to the extent that it would be at most a minor annoyance.

Definitely.

As it is, this got boring really quickly.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:10 pm

Goobergunchia wrote:I don't think seeing puppets is inherently bad because if somebody has some cool themed puppets that they've put work into, it's not a bad thing to give them a bit more visibility. I also don't mind seeing, like, shared Founder nations or similar. And I definitely wouldn't want a feature making it publicly visible that a nation was a puppet, even if its puppetmaster remained secret.

Not wanting puppets means you don't trust your nation enough. I trust my nation and I would like to live in my own nation.You can easily consume cigarettes and alcohol in my country.I will soon enact the right to public protest and euthanasia.
Sosyal Demokrat Kemalist
Zayıf Agnostik
LGBT Destekçisi
-3.13 -4.77
Türk %76,2 ☾☆
Slav %22,4
Çinli %1

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:17 pm

Congrats to Farnhamia and holy shit I didn't expect to get so many votes!! Thank you all for 6th place!!

Strike
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Strike » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:32 pm

Yea I love puppets. This is a puppet. but you may not know it because it has its own flag and unique identity - not just one of 1000 nations known as NATIONNAME 1234. In most cases I am against numbers being included in nation names either way :)

Palindromes
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 29, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Palindromes » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:45 am

If they do this event again in the future or add it as a permanent minigame, they better create an API endpoint for it.

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:11 am

Farnhamia, I think you make a good leader for this.

As for the others: next time, make it opt-in. I was actually not happy at all about being dragged into such a contest, as it put unnecessary pressure on my mental health. The World Census is one thing, as it keeps getting reviewed every day, but a contest where nations are given two random nations is a different thing.

I wish that I could be de-ranked now so that other nations behind me can go up one rank.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:18 am

So 829257 total votes, over the current NationStates population and taking into account that each vote is between two nations, means an average of 6-7 votes per nation. Just saying.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:05 am

Trotterdam wrote:So 829257 total votes, over the current NationStates population and taking into account that each vote is between two nations, means an average of 6-7 votes per nation. Just saying.

Firstly, a "down" vote didn't contribute to nations' rankings. So we're looking at 3-4 ranking votes per nation, max. Secondly, the votes are clearly not evenly spread.

If someone has a better way to search - by all means, enlighten me - but for now, the best method is going by region and checking whether the population is the same as the number of ranked nations. This only works in nations with a population less than or equal 25, however, so you'll have to search from here.

I searched a bunch of regions (without recording which specifically are unranked), and here we have it:
Topid - 12 unranked; Antarctic Oasis - 4 unranked; Nordic Lands - 2 unranked; 100 Nations of Conquest - 12 unranked; Free Market Federation - 3 unranked; Universal Dream Network - 5 unranked; Corporate States of America - 7 unranked; Rireinu - 7 unranked; Teremara - 10 unranked; The Confederacy of Free Lands - 5 unranked.

That's 250 nations, of which 67 are unranked. More than a quarter.

Personally, I'd attribute this to the "knockout" system - designed to reduce puppets (who wouldn't be getting voted) from making it further into the event, instead, it just knocked out anyone who'd been unlucky enough to not get a vote, thus concentrating the votes according to whoever got randomly assigned a few winning combos first. In theory, it was a good approach, but there just wasn't enough incoming data for every candidate to be voted reasonably before low-vote nations started getting removed.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:32 am

SherpDaWerp wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:So 829257 total votes, over the current NationStates population and taking into account that each vote is between two nations, means an average of 6-7 votes per nation. Just saying.

Firstly, a "down" vote didn't contribute to nations' rankings. So we're looking at 3-4 ranking votes per nation, max. Secondly, the votes are clearly not evenly spread.

If someone has a better way to search - by all means, enlighten me - but for now, the best method is going by region and checking whether the population is the same as the number of ranked nations. This only works in nations with a population less than or equal 25, however, so you'll have to search from here.

I searched a bunch of regions (without recording which specifically are unranked), and here we have it:
Topid - 12 unranked; Antarctic Oasis - 4 unranked; Nordic Lands - 2 unranked; 100 Nations of Conquest - 12 unranked; Free Market Federation - 3 unranked; Universal Dream Network - 5 unranked; Corporate States of America - 7 unranked; Rireinu - 7 unranked; Teremara - 10 unranked; The Confederacy of Free Lands - 5 unranked.

That's 250 nations, of which 67 are unranked. More than a quarter.

Personally, I'd attribute this to the "knockout" system - designed to reduce puppets (who wouldn't be getting voted) from making it further into the event, instead, it just knocked out anyone who'd been unlucky enough to not get a vote, thus concentrating the votes according to whoever got randomly assigned a few winning combos first. In theory, it was a good approach, but there just wasn't enough incoming data for every candidate to be voted reasonably before low-vote nations started getting removed.

Pretty much this. If it was opt-in, those who were interested would get a chance. It is much better than dragging in unwilling participants like me.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:15 am

SherpDaWerp wrote:Firstly, a "down" vote didn't contribute to nations' rankings. So we're looking at 3-4 ranking votes per nation, max.
Regardless of how the internal mechanics work, that's still people consciously choosing not to upvote you when they could have. That's meaningful information.

SherpDaWerp wrote:Personally, I'd attribute this to the "knockout" system - designed to reduce puppets (who wouldn't be getting voted) from making it further into the event, instead, it just knocked out anyone who'd been unlucky enough to not get a vote, thus concentrating the votes according to whoever got randomly assigned a few winning combos first. In theory, it was a good approach, but there just wasn't enough incoming data for every candidate to be voted reasonably before low-vote nations started getting removed.
Yeah. 6-7 votes is around the minimum for what you'd need to reliably identify puppets that should be removed from the ranking. If the anti-puppet pruning actually started kicking in before the end of the event, that's too early. There wouldn't have been enough votes to both give all nations a fair chance and then also collect more detailed preferences on the higher-ranking nations.

Strike
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Strike » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:31 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
SherpDaWerp wrote:Firstly, a "down" vote didn't contribute to nations' rankings. So we're looking at 3-4 ranking votes per nation, max.
Regardless of how the internal mechanics work, that's still people consciously choosing not to upvote you when they could have. That's meaningful information.

Yea, a "neither" vote should count as losses for both :D

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:18 am

Congrats Farn!
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Harmonic Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Corporate Police State

Postby Harmonic Empire » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:20 pm

Rather weak april fool event.
| ♛ | HARMONIKSA RIKKEN | UNTEMAR | ♛ |
Story of Codex Ylvus will be rewritten and new story will be based on the War in Heaven.
Ase's Book - Eros's Book
Please be sure to check Terra Britania's works! | Someone awakaned me from my long stasis. | Up for a challenge? Just contact me.

Erynia and Draconia
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 09, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Erynia and Draconia » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:24 pm

Harmonic Empire wrote:Rather weak april fool event.

I agree. The voting system was not good in my opinion, and it was an overall disappointment.
he/they
About me and my nation
Former Delegate of The Social Liberal Union
Author of Issue No. 1510 and 1558

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:15 pm

Trotterdam wrote:

I meant that the second nation in the two-nation pick doesn't get any changes for not being picked. AFAIK, you gained "points" for being picked, but didn't lose anything for not being picked. Neither votes probably play no part in Max's 830,000 total.

Trotterdam wrote:
SherpDaWerp wrote:Personally, I'd attribute this to the "knockout" system - designed to reduce puppets (who wouldn't be getting voted) from making it further into the event, instead, it just knocked out anyone who'd been unlucky enough to not get a vote, thus concentrating the votes according to whoever got randomly assigned a few winning combos first. In theory, it was a good approach, but there just wasn't enough incoming data for every candidate to be voted reasonably before low-vote nations started getting removed.
Yeah. 6-7 votes is around the minimum for what you'd need to reliably identify puppets that should be removed from the ranking. If the anti-puppet pruning actually started kicking in before the end of the event, that's too early. There wouldn't have been enough votes to both give all nations a fair chance and then also collect more detailed preferences on the higher-ranking nations.

Apparently, the expected number of votes that would have to be cast before everyone has an even chance of being voted at least once is in the ballpark of 3.1 million. With an estimate of maybe 20,000 active players, everyone would have to have cast over 150 votes each to even approach that number. (I tried experimentally confirming that but generating random numbers as fast as possible for ~8 hours still didn't even get 240,000 distinct votes!)
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical