NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Whose Democracy is it Anyway?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jim the Baptist
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 08, 2019
New York Times Democracy

[DRAFT] Whose Democracy is it Anyway?

Postby Jim the Baptist » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:16 am

THE ISSUE
Young people are outraged after another bill aimed at strengthening youth leisure and personal development programs was dismissed by your Cabinet.
They point out that your Cabinet consists almost entirely of “geriatrics”, most of whom require round-the-clock nurse aids and walking assistants. With the average age of elected officials at an all-time high, citizens have gathered outside your office, debating whether @@NAME@@ needs more equal representation in politics.

issue not valid for nations with the geronticide policy
Issue not valid for nations with autocracy policy
Issue not valid for nations with a low lifespan?

1. “This is blatant unfairness and ageism,” exclaims young political activist @@RANDOMNAME@@. “These old geezers have been egg-nesting in their seats long enough. If we only have walking skeletons representing us, how can we trust them to protect the interests of our young people? Bring in age quotas for our politicians to ensure equal representation for all!”
Effect: the sound of rattles and squeaky toys continues to disrupt political debates

2. “Age quotas? That won’t get us anywhere except having more uneducated and inexperienced 20-something year-olds telling us all how to suck eggs,” interjects one of your Cabinet Ministers, @@RANDOMNAME@@, inhaling a devilled egg salad. “I agree youth interests are unequally represented, which is why we should introduce weighted voting based on average remaining years of life expectancy. Young people get more of a say because they are the ones who have to deal with the long-term consequences. Then politicians will have to address their needs. Sound fair? Good. Oh, and stay away from my eggs.”
Effect: Britney Pears is now running for political office

3. Your political advisor interjects. “Are you hearing these propositions, @@LEADER@@? Entrusting youth with weighted voting would be putting all your eggs into one basket. The problem is youth voter apathy. If we launch a campaign and egg on young people to vote more, then they’ll feel more included in the political sphere. It makes you look like a good egg, plus my calculations suggest you would still hold a majority of votes come re-election. It’s win-win!”
Invalid for nations with compulsory voting
Effect: youth are encouraged to vote but only if it’s for @@LEADER@@

4. Your political advisor interjects. “Are you hearing these propositions, @@LEADER@@? Entrusting youth with weighted voting would be putting almost all your eggs into one basket. The problem is youth voter apathy. Most of them would rather pay the fine than fulfil their civil duty. If we launch a campaign and egg on young people to vote more, then they’ll feel more included in the political sphere. It makes you look like a good egg, plus my calculations suggest you would still hold a majority of votes come re-election. It’s win-win!”
Valid only for nations with compulsory voting
Effect: youth are encouraged to vote but only if it’s for @@LEADER@@

5. “I’m tired of walking on eggshells with these young people,” argues prominent senior politician @@RANDOMNAME@@. “We’ve paid our debt to society, now they have to give back to us, so what about a little quid pro quo? Youngens commit to doing community service with the elderly, and in return we give them favourable outcomes on policy. You scratch my egg I scratch yours, no?”
Effect: young people must take classes in giving first-class foot rubs
Last edited by Jim the Baptist on Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Drew Durrnil
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Drew Durrnil » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:09 am

1. Add "issue not valid for nations with the geronticide policy"
2. Overlap with issue #54
Last edited by Drew Durrnil on Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Shark Republic
My Factbook
Atheris wrote:0/10. Using this fifth glyph in casual talk is not only inimical, but also shows that human minds act not of individual thoughts but of compulsory will by a dug-in aristocracy.
Atheris wrote:*pulls out anime weapons*
weeaboo mode!
*screams in depression and existential dread*
Nantoraka wrote:
The Nantorakan government would like to express their concerns about all the pedophiles lurking in this market. There's so much grease and body oil in the offers being made, that you could fry chicken in it. We strongly advise wearing a mask when making deals because the strong smell of kid-diddler permeates the air like a dead, fermenting animal.

News: Former Elite President Pæta Marlín joins the cult of Yahlia, calling it his "sexual and spiritual awakening".

Terrabod
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 10, 2018
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Terrabod » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:11 am

Drew Durrnil wrote:Overlap with issue #54

The overlap is minimal; #54 is about term limits whereas this draft is about the underrepresentation of young people in politics.

As for validities, "no geronticide" is a good shout and "no autocracy" is also necessary. I wouldn't worry about average lifespan. Oh, and @@NATIONNAME@@ should just be @@NAME@@. And you have a couple of references to "Leader" that should be @@LEADER@@, since not all national leaders are referred to as "Leader".

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:06 am

Aren't these activities concerns of local governments?
RE: Potential Cancellation of Tokyo Olympics. The only reason why countries bid to host the Olympics is for tourism. This is why countries are planning on boycotting the Beijing winter Olympics. By cancelling the 2020/21 Olympics, Japan is defacto recieving the same punishment as China, Japan did nothing wrong since World War II
Until if and when the Spanish language evolves to allow for gender-neutrality to not be totally, utterly and completely impossible, (which will take at least centuries), the concept of "LatinX" is completely ridiculous
From Greek Ansestry Orthodox Christian
18 Published Issues and 1 WA Resolution List of NPC Nations
In-Character posts made by this fictious account do not reflect the actions of any real world government

Jim the Baptist
Spokesperson

New York Times Democracy

Postby Jim the Baptist » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:15 am

Added filter for geronticide policy and fixed some of the formatting issues, thanks everyone.

Australian rePublic wrote:Aren't these activities concerns of local governments?

I think it's a national issue because we are talking about bills and policies addressing youth issues being ignored. The outcomes affect youth all over the nation, not just in one particular area. It would only maybe affect local governments if the nation had the "devolution" policy, but even then, bills and policies can still start at a national level before being actioned/implemented by local governments.

Jim the Baptist
Spokesperson

New York Times Democracy

Postby Jim the Baptist » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:31 am

Bump

The Sakhalinsk Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 27, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Sakhalinsk Empire » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:17 pm

A political advisor would have studied political science, no? Thus you can call Mr. Advisor an egghead, e.g. "@@LEADER@@, I know you might think I'm a boring egghead, but..."

Otherwise, it looks great to me.
This is my signature. The old one was odd.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?