NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Building Regulation Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
User avatar
The Langburn Islands
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 44
Founded: Jan 14, 2021
New York Times Democracy

[DRAFT] Building Regulation Act

Postby The Langburn Islands » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:39 pm

Improving Building Standards
Category: Environment
Strength: Strong

The World Assembly,

Recognising that the physical quality of buildings varies immensely across the world,

Concerned that in many countries, little to no regulation of the construction of buildings exists,

Anxious that this lack of regulation is leading to serious building collapses and fatalities across the world,

Hereby enacts the following:

1. That member nations must ensure that the materials used in the construction of all buildings be safe and non-hazardous.
2. That member nations must ensure that all buildings constructed are done so in a safe and non-hazardous manner.
3. That member nations must ensure that individuals are granted the legal right to sue for damages in the event of a building collapse resulting in loss of property, mobility or life.
4. That member nations be strongly encouraged by this august body to enact comprehensive building regulation laws into national and subnational law.


Regulating Building Construction
Category: Regulation
Area of Effect: Safety
Strength: Strong

The World Assembly,

Recognising that the building quality of buildings varies immensely across WA member nations,
Concerned that in many WA member nations either through lack of government, lack of government intervention, wilful neglect or sheer ignorance, regulation of the construction of buildings either doesn’t exist or is woefully insufficient.
Anxious that this lack of regulation is leading to serious building collapses with resulting injuries and fatalities,
Maintaining the belief that greater regulation of the construction of buildings will bring great benefits to the wider architectural community by increasing public confidence in the safety of all buildings,

Hereby:

1. Defines a “building” as a structure that has a roof or walls which either permanently or semi permanently remains in a single position.
2. Defines an “independent building assessor” as an individual appointed independently and acting independently from the personnel and organisations responsible for the construction of buildings to objectively assess the construction quality of the building.
3. Defines "hazardous material" as being any substance used in the construction of buildings that is generally considered to be harmful to the health and well being of any individual.
4. Requires:
a. the construction of all buildings to be performed in a safe and non-hazardous manner with the greatest possible steps taken to limit harm to construction workers.
b. the construction of all buildings to be reviewed by an independent building assessor as determined by the national and subnational governments of WA member nations.
c. the independent building assessor to compile an objective appraisal of the quality of the construction work of all buildings and provide this information to the responsible government or authority of each WA member nation.
d. citizens and organisations who suffer from the negligent construction work of personnel and organisations responsible for the construction of buildings to have the right to sue for damages under the law of each WA member nation.
e. the greatest possible steps be taken to ensure that the materials used in the construction of buildings will not cause harm to any individual who uses buildings.

5. Prohibits:
a. personnel and organisations responsible for constructing buildings in WA member nations from offering inducements, payments, gifts or bribes to independent building assessors in order to secure a positive appraisal.
b. the use of hazardous materials in the construction of buildings.

Co-authored by The Crowned Republic.


Regulating Building Construction
Category: Regulation
Area of Effect: Safety
Strength: Strong

The World Assembly,

Recognising that the building quality of buildings varies immensely across WA member nations,

Concerned that in many WA member nations either through lack of government, lack of government intervention, wilful neglect or sheer ignorance, regulation of the construction of buildings either doesn’t exist or is woefully insufficient,

Anxious that this lack of regulation is leading to serious building collapses with resulting injuries and fatalities,

Maintaining the belief that greater regulation of the construction of buildings will bring many benefits to the wider architectural community by increasing public confidence in the safety of all buildings,

1. Defines, for the purposes of this resolution:
    a. a 'building' as a structure that has a roof or walls which either permanently or semi-permanently remains in a single position;
    b. an 'independent building assessor' as an individual appointed independently and acting independently from the personnel and organisations responsible for the construction of buildings to objectively assess the construction quality of the building;
    c. 'hazardous material' as being any substance used in the construction of buildings that is generally considered to be harmful to the health and well-being of any individual;
    d. 'negligent construction work' as construction work that fails to take the adequate steps or care to prevent harm from occurring to any individual.


2. Requires:
    a. the construction of all buildings to be performed in a safe and non-hazardous manner with the greatest possible steps taken to limit harm to construction workers;
    b. the construction of all buildings to be reviewed by an independent building assessor as determined by the national and subnational governments of WA member nations;
    c. the independent building assessor to compile an objective appraisal of the quality of the construction work of all buildings and provide this information to the responsible government or authority of each WA member nation;
    d. construction work found to be faulty by the objective appraisal is required to immediately cease until structural and safety improvements are made as determined by the independent assessor;
    e. citizens and organisations who suffer from the negligent construction work of personnel and organisations responsible for the construction of buildings to have the right to sue for damages under the law of each WA member nation;
    f. the greatest possible steps be taken to ensure that the materials used in the construction of buildings will not cause harm to any individual who uses buildings;

3. Prohibits:
    a. personnel and organisations responsible for constructing buildings in WA member nations from offering inducements, payments, gifts or bribes to independent building assessors in order to secure a positive appraisal;
    b. the use of hazardous materials in the construction of buildings;

Co-authored by The Crowned Republic.


Alright, my first GA resolution draft. What do you think?
Last edited by The Langburn Islands on Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:14 pm, edited 18 times in total.
The Commonwealth of The Langburn Islands
Population: 4.2 million Capital city: Onita (pop. 1.5 million)

President: Bear Logan (Independent)
Prime Minister: Jim Coffey (Reform)
WA Ambassador: Susana Arias (Independent)

User avatar
Ardiveds
Diplomat
 
Posts: 506
Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ardiveds » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:16 am

OOC: Is clause 2 talking about the menthod of construction being safe (for the construction workers) or the building itself being safe?
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

User avatar
The Langburn Islands
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 44
Founded: Jan 14, 2021
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Langburn Islands » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:29 am

Ardiveds wrote:OOC: Is clause 2 talking about the menthod of construction being safe (for the construction workers) or the building itself being safe?

OOC: My intention is for clause 2 to refer to the method of construction being safe during the actual construction phase for the construction workers.
The Commonwealth of The Langburn Islands
Population: 4.2 million Capital city: Onita (pop. 1.5 million)

President: Bear Logan (Independent)
Prime Minister: Jim Coffey (Reform)
WA Ambassador: Susana Arias (Independent)

User avatar
The Crowned Republic
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 18
Founded: Feb 14, 2021
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Crowned Republic » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:54 pm

The World Assembly, [SUGGESTIONS]

Recognising that the physical quality of buildings varies immensely across the world,
- Theoretically, not all buildings may be physical and may also not be confined to a world.

Concerned that in many countries, little to no regulation of the construction of buildings exists,
- This situation could vary for many - even benign - reasons (i.e. different living circumstances, organization of government).
Anxious that this lack of regulation is leading to serious building collapses and fatalities across the world,
- Undoubtedly, but improving building standards serves to bring benefits to the wider architectural community and serves more for an international mandate.

Hereby enacts the following:

1. That member nations must ensure that the materials used in the construction of all buildings be safe and non-hazardous.
2. That member nations must ensure that all buildings constructed are done so in a safe and non-hazardous manner.
- Keeping this concise will help understanding.
3. That member nations must ensure that individuals are granted the legal right to sue for damages in the event of a building collapse resulting in loss of property, mobility or life.
- Too constricting. One may wish to sue for nominal damages or costs relating to losses not directly tied to a building falling upon something (e.g. psychologically). It's picky, sure, but a nefarious government could cite this in its current form to unfairly infringe on certain legal recourses.
4. That member nations be strongly encouraged by this august body to enact comprehensive building regulation laws into national and subnational law.
- The best thing would be to make comprehensive building regulations implied in the previous clauses. Even so, some nations may have varying subdivisions of their legislative branches.

- The acting clauses don't seem very aesthetically pleasing with all the repetition at the start. Encompassing this in the introductory clause instead could be useful.


- Also, while I'm not sure, this resolution might fit better under regulations than environment.

EDIT: It may also be advisable to modify the title to something along the lines of "Regulating Building Construction", as there isn't anything substantive on the distinct field of post-construction building regulation other than the vague and non-enforced encouragement. Ultimately, it may tie future efforts to enforce certain degrees of a standard building code (e.g. emergency lights in all buildings for fire emergencies).

The World Assembly,

Recognising the vast array of buildings internationally,

Desiring to provide uniform standards of safety on their construction,

Hoping to harmonize architecture at its core,

Hereby enacts the following standards for all structural development in a member state:

1. Use of safe and non-hazardous materials.
2. Creation of a secure working environment.
3. Provision of the legal right by afflicted parties to sue for damages resulting from failure to comply.
Last edited by The Crowned Republic on Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
The Langburn Islands
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 44
Founded: Jan 14, 2021
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Langburn Islands » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:53 pm

Regulating Building Construction
Category: Regulation
Area of Effect: Safety
Strength: Significant

The World Assembly,

Recognising that the building quality of buildings varies immensely across WA member nations,
Concerned that in many WA member nations either through lack of government, lack of government intervention, wilful neglect or sheer ignorance, regulation of the construction of buildings either doesn’t exist or is woefully insufficient.
Anxious that this lack of regulation is leading is serious building collapses with resulting injuries and fatalities,
Maintaining the belief that greater regulation of the construction of buildings will bring great benefits to the wider architectural community by increasing public confidence in the safety of all buildings,

Hereby:

1. Defines a “building” as a structure that has a roof or walls which either permanently or semi permanently remains in a single position.
2. Defines an “independent building assessor” as an individual appointed independently and acting independently from the personnel and organisations responsible for the construction of buildings to objectively assess the construction quality of the building.
3. Requires:
a. the construction of all buildings to be performed in a safe and non-hazardous manner with the greatest possible steps taken to limit harm to construction workers.
b. the construction of all buildings to be reviewed by an independent building assessor as determined by the national and subnational governments of WA member nations.
c. the independent building assessor to compile an objective appraisal of the quality of the construction work of all buildings and provide this information to the responsible government or authority of each WA member nation.
citizens and organisations who suffer from the negligent construction work of personnel and organisations responsible for the construction of buildings to have the right to sue for damages under the law of each WA member nation.
d. the greatest possible steps be taken to ensure that the materials used in the construction of buildings will not cause harm to any individual who uses buildings.

4. Prohibits:
a. personnel and organisations responsible for constructing buildings in WA member nations from offering inducements, payments, gifts or bribes to independent building assessors in order to secure a positive appraisal.
b. the use of hazardous materials in the construction of buildings.
The Commonwealth of The Langburn Islands
Population: 4.2 million Capital city: Onita (pop. 1.5 million)

President: Bear Logan (Independent)
Prime Minister: Jim Coffey (Reform)
WA Ambassador: Susana Arias (Independent)

User avatar
The Langburn Islands
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 44
Founded: Jan 14, 2021
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Langburn Islands » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:54 pm

The Crowned Republic wrote:
The World Assembly, [SUGGESTIONS]

Recognising that the physical quality of buildings varies immensely across the world,
- Theoretically, not all buildings may be physical and may also not be confined to a world.

Concerned that in many countries, little to no regulation of the construction of buildings exists,
- This situation could vary for many - even benign - reasons (i.e. different living circumstances, organization of government).
Anxious that this lack of regulation is leading to serious building collapses and fatalities across the world,
- Undoubtedly, but improving building standards serves to bring benefits to the wider architectural community and serves more for an international mandate.

Hereby enacts the following:

1. That member nations must ensure that the materials used in the construction of all buildings be safe and non-hazardous.
2. That member nations must ensure that all buildings constructed are done so in a safe and non-hazardous manner.
- Keeping this concise will help understanding.
3. That member nations must ensure that individuals are granted the legal right to sue for damages in the event of a building collapse resulting in loss of property, mobility or life.
- Too constricting. One may wish to sue for nominal damages or costs relating to losses not directly tied to a building falling upon something (e.g. psychologically). It's picky, sure, but a nefarious government could cite this in its current form to unfairly infringe on certain legal recourses.
4. That member nations be strongly encouraged by this august body to enact comprehensive building regulation laws into national and subnational law.
- The best thing would be to make comprehensive building regulations implied in the previous clauses. Even so, some nations may have varying subdivisions of their legislative branches.

- The acting clauses don't seem very aesthetically pleasing with all the repetition at the start. Encompassing this in the introductory clause instead could be useful.


- Also, while I'm not sure, this resolution might fit better under regulations than environment.

EDIT: It may also be advisable to modify the title to something along the lines of "Regulating Building Construction", as there isn't anything substantive on the distinct field of post-construction building regulation other than the vague and non-enforced encouragement. Ultimately, it may tie future efforts to enforce certain degrees of a standard building code (e.g. emergency lights in all buildings for fire emergencies).

The World Assembly,

Recognising the vast array of buildings internationally,

Desiring to provide uniform standards of safety on their construction,

Hoping to harmonize architecture at its core,

Hereby enacts the following standards for all structural development in a member state:

1. Use of safe and non-hazardous materials.
2. Creation of a secure working environment.
3. Provision of the legal right by afflicted parties to sue for damages resulting from failure to comply.

I really appreciate your suggested changes and have added many of them to the second draft!
Last edited by The Langburn Islands on Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Commonwealth of The Langburn Islands
Population: 4.2 million Capital city: Onita (pop. 1.5 million)

President: Bear Logan (Independent)
Prime Minister: Jim Coffey (Reform)
WA Ambassador: Susana Arias (Independent)

User avatar
Jedinsto
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 433
Founded: Nov 12, 2020
New York Times Democracy

Postby Jedinsto » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:34 am

You may want to define "hazardous," since it is used multiple times in the operatives, and also, put this within a clause or subclause;
"citizens and organisations who suffer from the negligent construction work of personnel and organisations responsible for the construction of buildings to have the right to sue for damages under the law of each WA member nation."

Other than that, you have my support on this.
My drafts
James DuBois
Capitalism, centrism, abortion, environment, civil rights
Communism, socialism, nukes, fascism, Trump

User avatar
The Crowned Republic
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 18
Founded: Feb 14, 2021
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Crowned Republic » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:34 am

EDITED: The way I see it, if a material/practice damages or brings probable risk to that which it presides, it would be hazardous.

As to the right to sue, accounting for international law will be useful in avoiding contradictions and restricting future efforts on civil remedies in court.
Last edited by The Crowned Republic on Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:58 am, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
The Langburn Islands
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 44
Founded: Jan 14, 2021
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Langburn Islands » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:55 pm

Jedinsto wrote:You may want to define "hazardous," since it is used multiple times in the operatives, and also, put this within a clause or subclause;
"citizens and organisations who suffer from the negligent construction work of personnel and organisations responsible for the construction of buildings to have the right to sue for damages under the law of each WA member nation."

Other than that, you have my support on this.

I agree with this, I will include a definition of 'hazardous' in the next draft. And with your second point, I will also add something similar to that as the current writing of the clause is extremely restrictive.
The Commonwealth of The Langburn Islands
Population: 4.2 million Capital city: Onita (pop. 1.5 million)

President: Bear Logan (Independent)
Prime Minister: Jim Coffey (Reform)
WA Ambassador: Susana Arias (Independent)

User avatar
Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 15936
Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:56 pm

"Opposed, not an international issue."

His Worshipfulness Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

User avatar
The Crowned Republic
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 18
Founded: Feb 14, 2021
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Crowned Republic » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:51 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Opposed, not an international issue."


“It’s clear then that your people’s architects long for their re-entry into the wider world. Do elaborate.”

User avatar
Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 15936
Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:48 pm

The Crowned Republic wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Opposed, not an international issue."


“It’s clear then that your people’s architects long for their re-entry into the wider world. Do elaborate.”

"The issue lacks international utility. Domestic building codes are issues best addressed by localities to address specific local needs. Not the World Assembly. You may as well insist upon World Assembly-mandated speed limits or seatbelt mandates. This is obvious to anybody with a modicum of experience analyzing policy."

His Worshipfulness Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

User avatar
Barfleur
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 481
Founded: Mar 04, 2019
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Barfleur » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:52 am

1. Defines—
    a. a “building” as a structure that has a roof or walls which either permanently or semi permanently remains in a single position;
    b. an “independent building assessor” as an individual appointed independently and acting independently from the personnel and organisations responsible for the construction of buildings to objectively assess the construction quality of the building; and
    c. "hazardous material" as being any substance used in the construction of buildings that is generally considered to be harmful to the health and well being of any individual.
2. Requires—
    a. the construction of all buildings to be performed in a safe and non-hazardous manner with the greatest possible steps taken to limit harm to construction workers;
    b. the construction of all buildings to be reviewed by an independent building assessor as determined by the national and subnational governments of WA member nations;
    c. the independent building assessor to compile an objective appraisal of the quality of the construction work of all buildings and provide this information to the responsible government or authority of each WA member nation;
    d. citizens and organisations who suffer from the negligent construction work of personnel and organisations responsible for the construction of buildings to have the right to sue for damages under the law of each WA member nation; and
    e. the greatest possible steps be taken to ensure that the materials used in the construction of buildings will not cause harm to any individual who uses buildings.

3. Prohibits—
    a. personnel and organisations responsible for constructing buildings in WA member nations from offering inducements, payments, gifts or bribes to independent building assessors in order to secure a positive appraisal; and
    b. the use of hazardous materials in the construction of buildings.

OOC: Some formatting adjustments you might like. I'd also recommend adding spaces between the lines in the preambulatory clauses. On the merits of the case, I do not think it is a matter of international concern, but I wish you the best of luck.
Barfleur: Unus pro omnibus et omnes pro uno
Citizen of The East Pacific
“Sweatpants are a sign of defeat. You lost control of your life so you bought some sweatpants.”
― Karl Lagerfeld
Ambassador: Roger MacGeorge
Military Attaché: Colonel Lyndon Q. Ralston
Co-author, GA#534.
The Barfleurian World Assembly Mission can be found at Room 1903, Floor 19, WAHQ.

User avatar
Ardiveds
Diplomat
 
Posts: 506
Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ardiveds » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:12 pm

OOC: Clause 4a seems a bit too much with the only consideration being "greatest possbile". I mean construction of a hundred storey skyscraper definitely needs far more safety measures than construction of a two storey home, yet "greatest possbile measures" means both have to done with equal safety measures which seems absurd.
Last edited by Ardiveds on Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

User avatar
The Langburn Islands
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 44
Founded: Jan 14, 2021
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Langburn Islands » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:44 pm

Third draft of the resolution! Thank you to everyone who has commented and given me advice on this proposal so far!

Regulating Building Construction
Category: Regulation
Area of Effect: Safety
Strength: Strong

The World Assembly,

Recognising that the building quality of buildings varies immensely across WA member nations,

Concerned that in many WA member nations either through lack of government, lack of government intervention, wilful neglect or sheer ignorance, regulation of the construction of buildings either doesn’t exist or is woefully insufficient,

Anxious that this lack of regulation is leading to serious building collapses with resulting injuries and fatalities,

Maintaining the belief that greater regulation of the construction of buildings will bring many benefits to the wider architectural community by increasing public confidence in the safety of all buildings,

1. Defines, for the purposes of this resolution:
    a. Defines a 'building' as a structure that has a roof or walls which either permanently or semi-permanently remains in a single position;
    b. Defines an 'independent building assessor' as an individual appointed independently and acting independently from the personnel and organisations responsible for the construction of buildings to objectively assess the construction quality of the building;
    c. Defines 'hazardous material' as being any substance used in the construction of buildings that is generally considered to be harmful to the health and well-being of any individual;
    d. Defines 'negligent construction work' as construction work that fails to take the adequate steps or care to prevent harm from occurring to any individual.


2. Requires:
    a. the construction of all buildings to be performed in a safe and non-hazardous manner with the greatest possible steps taken to limit harm to construction workers;
    b. the construction of all buildings to be reviewed by an independent building assessor as determined by the national and subnational governments of WA member nations;
    c. the independent building assessor to compile an objective appraisal of the quality of the construction work of all buildings and provide this information to the responsible government or authority of each WA member nation;
    d. construction work found to be faulty by the objective appraisal is required to immediately cease until structural and safety improvements are made as determined by the independent assessor;
    e. citizens and organisations who suffer from the negligent construction work of personnel and organisations responsible for the construction of buildings to have the right to sue for damages under the law of each WA member nation;
    f. the greatest possible steps be taken to ensure that the materials used in the construction of buildings will not cause harm to any individual who uses buildings;

3. Prohibits:
    a. personnel and organisations responsible for constructing buildings in WA member nations from offering inducements, payments, gifts or bribes to independent building assessors in order to secure a positive appraisal;
    b. the use of hazardous materials in the construction of buildings;

Co-authored by The Crowned Republic.
Last edited by The Langburn Islands on Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Commonwealth of The Langburn Islands
Population: 4.2 million Capital city: Onita (pop. 1.5 million)

President: Bear Logan (Independent)
Prime Minister: Jim Coffey (Reform)
WA Ambassador: Susana Arias (Independent)

User avatar
The Langburn Islands
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 44
Founded: Jan 14, 2021
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Langburn Islands » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:47 pm

Barfleur wrote:
1. Defines—
    a. a “building” as a structure that has a roof or walls which either permanently or semi permanently remains in a single position;
    b. an “independent building assessor” as an individual appointed independently and acting independently from the personnel and organisations responsible for the construction of buildings to objectively assess the construction quality of the building; and
    c. "hazardous material" as being any substance used in the construction of buildings that is generally considered to be harmful to the health and well being of any individual.
2. Requires—
    a. the construction of all buildings to be performed in a safe and non-hazardous manner with the greatest possible steps taken to limit harm to construction workers;
    b. the construction of all buildings to be reviewed by an independent building assessor as determined by the national and subnational governments of WA member nations;
    c. the independent building assessor to compile an objective appraisal of the quality of the construction work of all buildings and provide this information to the responsible government or authority of each WA member nation;
    d. citizens and organisations who suffer from the negligent construction work of personnel and organisations responsible for the construction of buildings to have the right to sue for damages under the law of each WA member nation; and
    e. the greatest possible steps be taken to ensure that the materials used in the construction of buildings will not cause harm to any individual who uses buildings.

3. Prohibits—
    a. personnel and organisations responsible for constructing buildings in WA member nations from offering inducements, payments, gifts or bribes to independent building assessors in order to secure a positive appraisal; and
    b. the use of hazardous materials in the construction of buildings.

OOC: Some formatting adjustments you might like. I'd also recommend adding spaces between the lines in the preambulatory clauses. On the merits of the case, I do not think it is a matter of international concern, but I wish you the best of luck.


Thanks for this! I've changed the formatting of the resolution.
Ardiveds wrote:OOC: Clause 4a seems a bit too much with the only consideration being "greatest possbile". I mean construction of a hundred storey skyscraper definitely needs far more safety measures than construction of a two storey home, yet "greatest possbile measures" means both have to done with equal safety measures which seems absurd.


In my opinion, the current wording allows for sufficient scope and flexibility in all situations. The greatest possible steps to ensure the safety of everyone involved in the construction of a two storey house will be the greatest possible steps in that specific and particular situation as determined by the independent building assessor.
The Commonwealth of The Langburn Islands
Population: 4.2 million Capital city: Onita (pop. 1.5 million)

President: Bear Logan (Independent)
Prime Minister: Jim Coffey (Reform)
WA Ambassador: Susana Arias (Independent)

User avatar
Tinhampton
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8038
Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Tinhampton » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:07 pm

Even drunk, sleepy me is opposed to the repetition of "Defines" at the beginning of each of Article 1's subclauses :P
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 319,372): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549
Other achievements: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; -45 Darkspawn Kill Points; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; "Tinhampton? the man's literally god"
Who am I, really? 45yo Tory woman; Cambridge graduate; possibly very controversial; currently reading your mind >:D

User avatar
The Langburn Islands
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 44
Founded: Jan 14, 2021
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Langburn Islands » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:17 pm

Tinhampton wrote:Even drunk, sleepy me is opposed to the repetition of "Defines" at the beginning of each of Article 1's subclauses :P

Fixed!

I also move this draft to last call and I intend to submit it in 3 days.
The Commonwealth of The Langburn Islands
Population: 4.2 million Capital city: Onita (pop. 1.5 million)

President: Bear Logan (Independent)
Prime Minister: Jim Coffey (Reform)
WA Ambassador: Susana Arias (Independent)

User avatar
Maowi
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1165
Founded: Jan 07, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Maowi » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:12 pm

Defines 'hazardous material' as being any substance used in the construction of buildings that is generally considered to be harmful to the health and well-being of any individual;


"I believe a better standard could be used for this definition than "generally considered to be harmful." For example, requiring some sort of scientific basis to the classification of a material as hazardous or not could potentially be beneficial."

Author of GARs 457, 480, 486, 489, 508, and 537
Co-author of GARs 479 and 536, and SCR 341

Factbooks

User avatar
Tinhampton
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8038
Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Tinhampton » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:43 pm

The Langburn Islands wrote:I also move this draft to last call and I intend to submit it in 3 days.

March 14th 2021 isn't three days from March 13th 2021 and you haven't addressed Maowi's concerns about your definition of a "hazardous material." Why did you submit this now?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 319,372): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549
Other achievements: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; -45 Darkspawn Kill Points; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; "Tinhampton? the man's literally god"
Who am I, really? 45yo Tory woman; Cambridge graduate; possibly very controversial; currently reading your mind >:D

User avatar
Thermodolia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 65067
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:53 pm

Also how is this an international issue. I see no reason that it is one and therefore I don’t support it
Male, Titoist cultural nationalist, lives somewhere in the Deep South, give me any good Irish, Canadian, or Scottish whiskey and I will be your friend for life. I'm GAY! US Military Veteran
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
>Xovland: I keep getting ads for printer ink. Sometimes, when you get that feeling down there, you have to look at some steamy printer pictures.
Click for Da Funies
Click Here for RP Info Embassy Program
Ambassadors to the WA: Senior Eve Šanœ, Junior Jon Æthr

RIP Dya

User avatar
The Langburn Islands
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 44
Founded: Jan 14, 2021
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Langburn Islands » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:21 pm

Maowi wrote:
Defines 'hazardous material' as being any substance used in the construction of buildings that is generally considered to be harmful to the health and well-being of any individual;


"I believe a better standard could be used for this definition than "generally considered to be harmful." For example, requiring some sort of scientific basis to the classification of a material as hazardous or not could potentially be beneficial."

"Ambassador, the original intention of the resolution in regards to what is hazardous is to allow individual national governments to define what is or isn't hazardous by the cultural norms of their nations. What is hazardous in one nation especially when we have multiple species as members of the World Assembly is vastly different to what is hazardous in another nation. It is for this reason why I oppose a prescriptive definition of what is hazardous."
Tinhampton wrote:
The Langburn Islands wrote:I also move this draft to last call and I intend to submit it in 3 days.

March 14th 2021 isn't three days from March 13th 2021 and you haven't addressed Maowi's concerns about your definition of a "hazardous material." Why did you submit this now?


OOC : No major objections have been raised on regards to the proposal for a couple of days and with the floor clear, I thought it would be a good idea to submit now instead of waiting another day.
Thermodolia wrote:Also how is this an international issue. I see no reason that it is one and therefore I don’t support it


"Ambassador, we note your dissent and thank you for your input. The Commonwealth of the Langburn Islands firmly believes that there should be a basic level of building regulation enshrined into international law similar to how there is a federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour in the United States of America with state governments able to set higher state minimum wages".
The Commonwealth of The Langburn Islands
Population: 4.2 million Capital city: Onita (pop. 1.5 million)

President: Bear Logan (Independent)
Prime Minister: Jim Coffey (Reform)
WA Ambassador: Susana Arias (Independent)

User avatar
Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 15936
Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:25 pm

The Langburn Islands wrote:"Ambassador, we note your dissent and thank you for your input. The Commonwealth of the Langburn Islands firmly believes that there should be a basic level of building regulation enshrined into international law similar to how there is a federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour in the United States of America with state governments able to set higher state minimum wages".

"And yet, you've not managed to make a particularly strong case for it other than the ambiguous risk of collapse and fatality, a risk not necessarily traceable to poor building code and unconvincingly articulated as a sufficiently high cost to justify international interference."

His Worshipfulness Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

User avatar
Outer Sparta
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11543
Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Outer Sparta » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:41 pm

Opposed. More of a local issue that can be addressed.
social democracy, environmental protection, universal healthcare, free college, social equality, LGBT, pro-choice,
GOP, corporate socialism, Trump, neoconservatism, white supremacy, extreme political views, corruption

User avatar
Araraukar
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15453
Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:18 am

OOC: Please pull this from the submissions. It needs a lot of work, still. As written, it nonsensically bans all construction ever.
- Linda Äyrämäki, acting ambassador in the absence of miss Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Coronavirus related. This too. And this. These are all jokes. This isn't. This is, again, but it's also the last one.
Apologies for absences, RL has been hectic, nothing to do with COVID-19, I'm just busy with other things than NS.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DJ-1, Imperial Rifta, Terran Remnants

Advertisement

Remove ads