NATION

PASSWORD

Rows of Burnished Steel(OOC)(Civil War RP)(OPEN)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Bolslania
Minister

Founded: Mar 07, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Rows of Burnished Steel(OOC)(Civil War RP)(OPEN)

Postby Bolslania » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:54 am

Mine eyes have seen the glory
Of the coming of the Lord;
He is trampling out the vintage
Where the grapes of wrath are stored;
He hath loosed the fateful lightning
Of His terrible swift sword;
His truth is marching on.

Chorus
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!

I have seen Him in the watchfires
Of a hundred circling camps
They have builded Him an altar
In the evening dews and damps;
I can read His righteous sentence
By the dim and flaring lamps;
His day is marching on.

Chorus

He has sounded forth the trumpet
That shall never call retreat;
He is sifting out the hearts of men
Before His judgement seat;
Oh, be swift, my soul, to answer Him;
Be jubilant, my feet;
Our God is marching on.

Chorus

In the beauty of the lilies
Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in His bosom
That transfigures you and me;
As He died to make men holy,
Let us die to make men free;
While God is marching on.

Chorus

The year is 1863.

More than 40 years ago, Missouri was inducted into the Union. With the addition of the new state, came a question. Would Missouri be a slave state? Or a free state? The battle lines for the Civil War had been drawn with the Missouri Compromise.

It was ruled that every state south of Missouri would be a slave state, and every state north of Missouri would be a free state. As such, the metaphorical can was kicked down the road. However, it wouldn't be long until the issue of slavery came up again. The addition of Texas caused more upheaval, as Mexico and the US fought over where the border was to be drawn. The United States beat Mexico definitively, taking everything up to the Rio Grande river. But Texas wanted to be a slave state, and the power was once again shifted in favor of the South.

A delicate balance had been arranged, were no faction, abolitionist or slaver, would have a majority vote over the other. With every new state, that balance was being tilted back and forth. However, in 1857, tensions would drastically escalate with the Dredd Scott vs Sandford Supreme Court Case. The ruling was that the Constitution had not meant to include African Americans as "citizens" and effectively voided the Missouri Compromise. While this was meant to end the slavery controversy, in favor of the southern slave states, it did the opposite. The northern free states were outraged by the court ruling.

In 1859, violent abolitionist John Brown seized the armory at Harper's Ferry. He held onto the armory for two days, until Federal Forces, led by the soon to be Confederate General Robert E. Lee. He was executed soon after. The Southern states decried it as treason and insurrection, while abolitionists in the north praise John Brown as a hero.

In 1861, the election of Republican Candidate Abraham Lincoln was the spark to the powder keg. Later that year, South Carolina militiamen attacked Fort Sumter, laying siege to the fort for several days. However, no Union soldiers were killed. However, the damage was done. The Mason-Dixon line of the Missouri Compromise became the borders between the Confederacy and the Union.

In late 1861, Union and Confederate forces meet at Manassas, with a resounding Confederate victory. The Confederacy would see a winning spree for the next several months. Morale in the north was plummeting fast, and Lincoln needed a victory if he wished to continue the war. Luckily for him, the Confederates supplied that opportunity.

In a risky move, Robert E. Lee, commanding the Army of Northern Virginia, crosses the Potomac. He strikes in Maryland, where he is met by George McClellan and the Army of the Potomac. The Confederacy's expedition into Union territory would end in less than a month, with Lee being forced across the river by the Union forces. This rallied support for the war. In the West, General Ulysses S. Grant was gaining victory after victory against Confederate forces.

Now it is the Summer of 1863, and the Confederacy is trying again. General Lee is leading the Army of Northern Virginia back over the Potomac, this time into Pennsylvania. Newly assigned General Meade is now in command of the Army of the Potomac, and he is leading an intercept course to do battle with Lee.

The stage is set, the forces are mobilized. Now its up to you.

In this RP you will play as soldiers on either side of the Civil War. Either with Meade's Army of the Potomac or Lee's Army of Northern Virginia. Real life figures such as Colonel Chamberlain and General Pickett do exist, and I will be controlling them as NPCs (I will go into further detail later). Your character can rank as a enlisted-man, fighting shoulder-to-shoulder with his comrades, or as a officer, leading companies' into combat. The choice is yours.

RULES:
1. No godmodding. Soldiers were not exceptionally well trained, so they won't be able to perform the same actions that modern day soldiers can.
2. Be realistic.
3. Be respectful. This RP is on a topic that is still relevant today, so be respectful to your fellow player.
4. Maintain good grammar. Unless your character is speaking, write in clear english
5. I'm not super wrapped around the axle about post length, just no one liners
6. If you are absent for 1 week without explanation, you will be removed from this RP.
7. Most importantly, have fun. This is a game

APPLICATION:

Code: Select all
Name:
Faction:
Unit:
Equipment:
Personality:
Bio(At least 2 paragraphs):
Last edited by Bolslania on Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Portal to the Multiverse